PDA

View Full Version : Where would a princess stay?

bertegirl
10-06-2008, 05:13 PM
We have a 4 year old princess and this will be her 1st trip to Walt Disney World. Actually it will be the whole families 1st trip. We are trying to pick a hotel for May 2009. We are not really worried about the money factor. Just want to make sure our little one never forgets the trip!

traci
10-06-2008, 05:16 PM
We have a 4 year old princess and this will be her 1st trip to Walt Disney World. Actually it will be the whole families 1st trip. We are trying to pick a hotel for May 2009. We are not really worried about the money factor. Just want to make sure our little one never forgets the trip!

My vote is for the Grand Floridian!!

mcbj
10-06-2008, 05:23 PM
Our princess will be staying at the GF...in five days. :cool1: Although I have not stayed there yet, we have visited and eaten there on past trips and it seems so elegant. We will also be going to the My Disney Girl Tea Party at the GF, and its just a hop skip and a jump to the MK for her appointment at BBB and lunch at CRT so I thought it would be perfect.

Grumpy3
10-06-2008, 05:32 PM
Don't want to bust your bubble but I doubt a 4 year old will care where they are staying as long as they are at DW. Also don't think they will remember the hotel as much as the characters, rides, shows, etc.

roxy83
10-06-2008, 05:44 PM
In my opinion a 4 year old would choose a value resort over the GF 9 times out of ten. The larger than life statues are the appeal there. However, if I were to suggest a hotel, it would be the Beach Club. She will love the pool there and it's accessible to both DHS and EPCOT.

DonaldDoleWhip
10-06-2008, 05:57 PM
If you really aren't worried about money, then I would (without a doubt) go for Grand Floridian or Polynesian (Magic Kingdom view if possible). Your princess and your entire family will LOVE the short monorail ride to Magic Kingdom, it is truly the most magical way to arrive at the park. Also, being on the monorail connects you to some of the best character meals: Chef Mickey's at Contemporary, 1900 Park Fare at GF (princesses at dinner), and Cinderella's Royal Table in the castle!

And IMO, I think your daughter would love GF or Poly over any value. As a child (from my first trip when I was 3), I fell in love with these two hotels; we stayed at them every trip from 1995-2002. In fact, I cried every time my mom suggested staying elsewhere until I was 10 because I loved the monorail so much.

There is nothing more magical than arriving at your hotel via monorail and then walking to your room, where you step out onto a private balcony and see Cinderella Castle across the water. Besides their pure magic, these resorts have fabulous rooms, service, food, and amenities. I think I would choose Grand Floridian over Polynesian, because my sister always felt like a princess while walking around that hotel.

jemgumby
10-06-2008, 05:59 PM
DEFINITELY the Grand Floridian! Go for it. You WON'T regret it!!!!

abaldacci
10-06-2008, 06:37 PM
I hate to tell you this but she will not remember it at all. My Princess now twenty just told me she does not remember her first trip and she was eight.
my son 11 now said he only remembers our last trip this time last year. so all the memories I thought I was making :confused3 :headache: :sad2: :sad1: GONE.

lala3291
10-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Go for the Grand Floridian! I have stayed there with my family 3 times, and we loved it!
Enjoy!

OllieDannyandMe
10-06-2008, 06:59 PM

I believe she will remember it, especially if you take video and pictures and watch them together every so often.

For my first visit, I was 9 years old, and I remember sooo much of that trip. I kept a diary each night, so that might have helped. I have a book on travel tips for children, and it says to let young children keep a video or audio diary of a special trip and make "entries" several times per day (a little tape recorder should do the trick). Also, it's a neat idea to share a disposable camera with children, so they can take their own pictures. You might even want to make it a joint project to build a scrapbook together when you get back home.

I took my DD when she was 2 years and 2 months. She will soon be 4 and a half, and she still talks about several things from our trip, most notably Piglet up in a tree from the Pooh playground and flying with Dumbo. (And we have never watched our video or looked at the pictures together. I think she would remember more if we had. We must do that soon!)

We are going again (this time for Christmas), and I chose the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Evie loves animals. When we visited last time, she named all of her favorite animals on the Savannah and got such a kick out of seeing them. She kept saying, "Giraffe, long neck" each time she saw one and let out a little squeal of delight.

We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge for her first trip, and she loved the bridge and the bubbling fountain in the lobby.

I agree that most 4 year olds would love the theming of the value hotels. I would put the WL and AKL on my list, too. And the Grand Floridian, Poly, or CR for the true spirit of Disney. If your daughter enjoys tea parties and dressing up like a princess, then the GF would be perfect!

Hope this helps!

michelleiada
10-06-2008, 07:35 PM
A MK resort with a castle view for sure.:thumbsup2 Although...hmmm... Yacht and Beach Club pool is incredible!!! Ok...here is the plan...GF now, and go back in a year or two and stay at Yacht and Beach Club. ;)

Tink888
10-06-2008, 08:09 PM
If money is no object, then for the princess factor I'd choose GF.

For a four year old girl, she might really enjoy All Star Movies with the huge icons all over the property from her favorite Disney movies. (And the savings alone would almost guarantee her another trip to the most magical place on earth next year ;) )

distherapy
10-06-2008, 08:11 PM
We stayed at the GF and it was wonderful. It was so nice to watch Wishes from the boat dock and also so convenient for the 1900 Park Fare dinner (Cinderella was right in our hotel!!!) and the monorail was perfect. Our kids were 3 at the time and still talk about it nearly ever day 6 months later. Sure, it won't be the strongest memory decades from now, but special family time like this is always worth it. (and pictures certainly help!)

ProudMommyof2
10-06-2008, 08:31 PM
I would definitely do Poly with MK view. I think GF will not feel as fun for a 4 yo. The Poly is amazing without feeling stuffy. The Pool is more fun as well!

megwilliams
10-06-2008, 08:46 PM
My little girl is almost 3, and I know if we were going to have an "all out" princess bash and money were no object, we would definitely book the GF. I'd also book the Princess Tea Party and the big package at BBB. Amelia would love it, but she's a very prissy little girl.

In fact, I plan on doing something like this when they are turning 5. I just wish Disney had more things geared towards little boys. They have so many fun things to do for little princesses.princess:

DisneyGirlie
10-06-2008, 09:09 PM
I would definitely do Poly with MK view. I think GF will not feel as fun for a 4 yo. The Poly is amazing without feeling stuffy. The Pool is more fun as well!

I agree! I'd go with the Poly over the GF.

DiznEeyore
10-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Grand Floridian. It's my favorite resort, and of course, I think of myself as a princess. ;)

mom2princessj
10-06-2008, 09:29 PM
We have a 5 year old princess and it will be her/our first trip in Jan 09 and we chose GF. Poly didn't interest us at all and CR wasn't available. I can't attest from staying there but I think GF just has the feel of a 'royal princess' hotel. Good luck with your decision!

Lollipop's Mom
10-06-2008, 10:36 PM
I would choose where the ADULTS want to stay. You can put a 4 yr old in a tent in WDW and they wouldn't care. All they care about are the parks, characters and rides!

autumnpalm
10-06-2008, 10:58 PM
I would vote for the Grand Floridian, as well.:flower3:

themilesfamily
10-07-2008, 03:00 AM
A dormer room at the Grand Floridian!!!!!

FayeW
10-07-2008, 08:11 AM
Where would a princess stay? My princess would stay where ever I put her. We've had 3 trips since 2003, never stayed onsite once, and my princess (and prince) were always happy wherever we stayed. Don't over think it. The first trip is special and I guarantee that when it's said and done, what she remembers the most won't be the hotel room. My kids were 7 & 9 on our first trip, and they barely remember the condo. I think they only remember it at all because of the pictures.

bytheblood
10-07-2008, 08:44 AM
Well, a real princess would be in a suite in the GF, but a smaller princess would prefer Pop Century or AllStar simply for the appeal.

Canadian Girl 77
10-07-2008, 09:43 AM
My princess loves All Star Movies. We're trying Pop this trip but maybe Contemporary next time.

PrincessPirate28
10-07-2008, 10:17 AM
I would pick the GF. On my first trip to DW when I was 8, we stayed at GF granted that was 20 years ago and the Princess theme wasn't really around, but I LOVED it. 20 years later and I'm still trying to get back in that hotel, but we always tried to conserve our $$, but now with the DVC maybe we can get a stay out of it.

I do also agree that most kids love the All Stars and POP becouse of the oversized features, but for a real princess feel go with GF.

rie'smom
10-07-2008, 10:26 AM
I'd choose the GF. It looks like a decorated gingerbread castle.

drag n' fly
10-07-2008, 11:45 AM
I would choose where the ADULTS want to stay. You can put a 4 yr old in a tent in WDW and they wouldn't care. All they care about are the parks, characters and rides!

:rotfl2: I 100% agree

bas71873
10-07-2008, 12:02 PM
We just returned from Wilderness Lodge and LOVED it. That gets my vote. We stayed at Pop in Feb for our first trip and it was great too, but just being a quick boat ride over to MK is unbeatable IMO. DD5 loved the pool at WL, as well as the pool games and activities that went on each afternoon. I liked that it was a smaller delux resort and more manageable on my own with her.

We ate dinner at the GF and I found that resort to just be HUGE (as I did Pop). My opinion, and again, I've never stayed there, so this is just based on a dinner visit and some walking around checking things out....too big and geared more for adults. I would love to go stay there with just DH for an adults trip someday :)

My vote is for WL all the way.

LBelle0890
10-08-2008, 01:36 PM
GF :) but she will love any other resort just as much, more than likely.

cjnix29
10-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Your 4 year old won't care where they stay. Spend the money on having a character meal with the Princesses. My four year old has stayed at many different hotels, and it is not the hotel that he remembers. It is all the stuff he got to do. You mentioned that money is an issue, find a resort with a pool your daughter will like, and then go from there. Plan the special events instead. Towel animals come at Values, Moderates, and Deluxe, that is what she will remember!

DisneyRulz07
10-08-2008, 02:52 PM
I completely disagree with people that say your princess wont remember the stay or value resorts would be better.

I took my two princesses age 4-5 for their first trip to Disney World and let me tell you the room Contemporary Resort Tower Magic Kingdom View made a world of difference.

1. It's a short walk to the MK.
2. It has it's own character meal inside.
3. Monorail !!
4. The views are spectacular. Especially at night. The Cinderella Castle changes colors and is easily viewed from your balcony. It's like having your own magical night light.
5. Fireworks from your room!!! The CR sits higher than the GF. You wont miss a pop. You have a spectacular view of the water and can see the water parade float by also(At a distance). It rained a few nights we were there but it didnt stop us from enjoying the fireworks.
6. Kids and there TV. Like I said it rained on a few days. Having a big flat panel LG playing Disney movies was a gem. It's also compatible to dvd, vtech gaming, and you have a computer in the room for the adults.
7. It was recently renovated, so the rooms are nice.

My girls still havent stop talking about Disney and were a year removed. They watch the 14 dvds I took during our stay almost every week.

My princesses loved:
** character meals, princess meals, bibity bobidi boutique in MK, early hours because it's not as crowded, and all the rides in the MK. We spent 3 days in the MK!!
** Make sure you get the front desk to give you the "first timers" pin to wear. The kids get alittle special attention in the parks.

This is a zoomed up view from our balcony...GREAT STAY FOR ALL AND IM A DD!

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee292/DisneyRulz/Picture073.jpg

sam_001
10-08-2008, 04:50 PM
i would suggest animal kingdom loge. maybe seeing the animals roaming outside the room she would remember the trip.

Sammie
10-08-2008, 04:53 PM
Actually and this is just my opinion, if you truly believe that your 4 year old will remember, then why would you pick a place based on our answers instead of where she wants to stay. :confused3

Show her pictures, watch the Disney planning video, go to Disneyworld.com and let her see their info on the resorts and let her pick her dream place, whether it is All Star or the Grand Floridian.

KristiKelly
10-08-2008, 05:03 PM
I haven't read all the responses yet but we stayed at the Polynesian when our middle DD was 4. We had a MK view. She loved it, everynight she could sit on the balcony and watch the fireworks and afterward watch the lights on the castle change colors. She truly thought she was looking at her future home. She is no longer in the Princess phase but still remembers watching the fireworks.

I would go with any monorail resort (Grand Fl, Poly, or Contemporary) and book the Magic Kingdom/castle view. This view does cost more but it is worth it. When we stayed at the Poly, we started out with a garden view and hated it. We couldn't upgrade for 3 nights because the resort was booked, when we finally moved - what a difference the view made.

Have fun planning your trip.

mickey2minnie1
10-08-2008, 05:42 PM
I haven't read all the responses yet but we stayed at the Polynesian when our middle DD was 4. We had a MK view. She loved it, everynight she could sit on the balcony and watch the fireworks and afterward watch the lights on the castle change colors. She truly thought she was looking at her future home. She is no longer in the Princess phase but still remembers watching the fireworks.

I would go with any monorail resort (Grand Fl, Poly, or Contemporary) and book the Magic Kingdom/castle view. This view does cost more but it is worth it. When we stayed at the Poly, we started out with a garden view and hated it. We couldn't upgrade for 3 nights because the resort was booked, when we finally moved - what a difference the view made.

Have fun planning your trip.

I agree. What little princess wouldn't love to fall asleep while watching the castle lights?? We love the Poly. My then 5 year old did love the look of the "gingerbread house". Although she just loved staying on a monorail resort.

jemgumby
10-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Just a thought for all you that say the Grand Floridian isn't "kid friendly" let me share our experience there. Our daughter got picked to be the "parasol princess" one morning. It was really cool. The housekeeping staff there carries wicker baskets and parasols and they picked my DD to lead the housekeeping parade one morning. She got to keep the parasol on it with the date and "parasol princess" on it. To make it even more special when we got back to our room they had the parasol opened up on our bed with a magical moment certificate and a plush chesire cat. Now how about that? Also, my DD stayed there for the first time when she was 5 and LOVED it!!! She went on and on about how beautiful it was and to this day when she sees it on t.v. she goes crazy. So just thought I'd share my experience showing how kid friendly that resort is and if I could figure out how to upload my dern photos I would gladly share it with you all! :rotfl2:

jemgumby
10-08-2008, 06:40 PM
OK here is a pic of DD leading GF Housekeeping Parade:

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo287/jemgumby/DSC00736.jpg

In Luv with Disney
10-08-2008, 06:40 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with any WDW resort! But if money is no object, I'd DEFINITELY go with a Monorail Resort with a view of Cinderella Castle. How magical that will be for her!!!

Funny story...we stayed at the Poly one year. My son was 2 1/2 and YES, he still remembers staying there. We had a MK view, too. He LOVED seeing the Castle every night! Just magical...

Fast forward to now. He's going to be 7. Last year, we stayed at POP Century for 10 days...he chose the resort. When I was planning for this year, I told him I wanted to stay at AKL the next trip since he LOVES animals so much! I even told him we'd have a Savannah View so he can see the animals right from our balcony. HE GOT SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO UPSET!!!! He almost cried, because he wants to stay at POP Century again. :rotfl2: I hope he doesn't get too upset when we pull into the AKL parking lot.

Kids....:rotfl:

In Luv with Disney
10-08-2008, 06:41 PM
OK here is a pic of DD leading GF Housekeeping Parade:

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo287/jemgumby/DSC00736.jpg

That is just too cute!!!!!!!!!!

jemgumby
10-08-2008, 06:50 PM
More GF PARADE:

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo287/jemgumby/DSC02904.jpg

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo287/jemgumby/DSC00732.jpg

jemgumby
10-08-2008, 06:53 PM
That is just too cute!!!!!!!!!!

AWWW, thanks!!!! Sorry about the pics being different sizes. I thought I had made them all small but apparently not!:rotfl: Anyway, that is DSIL with DD leading the parade. It was really cool!:thumbsup2

terbethk
10-09-2008, 01:45 AM
I'd have to go with Grand Floridian, as well.