PDA

View Full Version : ? For Those Afraid of HHN

inkkognito
09-30-2008, 07:55 PM
Every year I see posts from people asking if HHN is too scary and posts from people who are afraid to go. As a life-long lover of haunted houses, I just can't relate. I'd love to know from those who are scared, what exactly are you afraid of? I personally look at it as follows:

1) I know it's all fake.
2) I know the scareactors will not touch me.
3) I know there is security/exits all over in the houses.
4) I know that even if it's dark and disorienting, there will be a congo line of people there with me.
5) I know scareactors will be sneaking up on me in the houses and scare zones.

I'm not really sure what else there is to be scared of. So if you're someone for whom HHN is a little too much to handle, please explain! I just can't imagine anyone not loving haunted houses.

donaldduck352
09-30-2008, 08:12 PM
Every year I see posts from people asking if HHN is too scary and posts from people who are afraid to go. As a life-long lover of haunted houses, I just can't relate. I'd love to know from those who are scared, what exactly are you afraid of? I personally look at it as follows:

1) I know it's all fake.
4) I know that even if it's dark and disorienting, there will be a congo line of people there with me.

I'm not really sure what else there is to be scared of. So if you're someone for whom HHN is a little too much to handle, please explain! I just can't imagine anyone not loving haunted houses.

Very well put :thumbsup2 Its all a illusion..The fact of bieng scared is that your indorfens start too fire and you get a rush of addrinaline.To me its a whole lot safer then unsafe S#%..:thumbsup2

Too those that are to scared to even try it once,try it one time.Its safer then any drug out there.ITS CALLED LIVING LIFE ON THE SAFE EDGE!!

I like too see a reply of why people donn't do it!!!

Laurabearz
09-30-2008, 08:18 PM
I scream and jump back every time... I hate the fact that I do, but I do... cant help it, and I love it :lmao:

Poohbug
09-30-2008, 08:21 PM
I am not a fan of scary movies-I just don't like them. I think HHN falls in the same category. I don't want to pay for something I don't like.

I also do not go on big roller coasters-they make me sick and I hate, hate, hate being sick. Just not fun for me.

On a side note, I have been reading posts about HHN-I never knew it was so intense. Clowns freak me out, I don't know why-they are just not right. If one of the clowns at HHN started bugging me I think I would be in trouble for kicking him in the b****.;)

chataro
09-30-2008, 08:34 PM
My wife will not watch any kind of scary movie but she loves going to HHN. She knows that its about the safest way to get those scary feelings without the bodily threat. She digs everything about it.

Me, on the other hand, just don't get scared or startled at all. I worked in a haunted house back in Ohio a long time ago and I just kind of made me numb to the whole thing. I can pretty much read where and when they will come out for the scare. I just can't get enough of the scenery and all the detail they put into the houses. (Plus my wife screaming doesn't hurt either)

It's all great fun and even if you can't watch scary movies, it's a totally different experience.

donaldduck352
09-30-2008, 08:34 PM
I'm the biggest chicken as far as coasters.But someone trying to scare me is like a test of my fears..I like living on the edge but not 200ft in the air..So scarehouses is my thing--I LIVE FOR IT!!!!:thumbsup2

Its all in the matter of fear you like!-Everybody gotts thier own...So try HHN on a non peak night,and see what it can do!!!

Metro West
09-30-2008, 08:42 PM
I scream and jump back every time... I hate the fact that I do, but I do... cant help it, and I love it :lmao:Then you are going through the houses with me. I love to go with screamers. :rotfl:

Subi WRX
09-30-2008, 08:49 PM
I don't mind people asking about how scary HHN is. What I mind is despite people giving honest answers about what HHN is all about, some dimwit takes her 10 year old anyway and then comes back here and complains about a scare actor scaring her precious kid, who she shouldn't have brought to HHN in the first place.

Where is the annual PSA that HHN isn't for littles?

lachica
09-30-2008, 09:20 PM
chataro - you describe my DH! He is completely unfazed by the scareactors in the mazes or the streets... I on the other hand scream my head off.

But as I mentioned in previous posts - I go with that in mind. I like getting freaked out as just you stated "its about the safest way to get those scary feelings without the bodily threat."

inkkognito
09-30-2008, 09:34 PM
Then you are going through the houses with me. I love to go with screamers. :rotfl:
I'm a screamer too! Haunted houses are my personal scream therapy. I'm not scared, but I just enjoy going through, getting jumped out at, and letting my lungs loose. My husband thinks it's a riot; he said he saw one scareactor who got a good scream out of me go running behind the scenes to another 'scare door' to jump out and get me again. They tend to target me because I walk through kinda hunched over and looking on "high alert." I love it when they go after me. One got me REAL good...snuck between hubby and I and suddenly got right up against my ear. I think my scream might have been real that time, hee hee.

Slacking
09-30-2008, 09:51 PM
I've worked at haunts, but that has not desensitized me one bit. I'm still a giant wuss when I walk through a haunted house, and apparently I'm been told that I'm quite hilarious to watch when I go through a house (plenty of screaming and jumping from my part, a 6'0", 250+ lb. man). So, if I am scared of everything, why do I do it? It's a complete rush, and it's amazing to see how complex and spectacular the events (HHN and HOS) can be despite only operating one month out of the year.

Purseval
09-30-2008, 09:53 PM
My wife has vivid dreams every night and she can relate them to me in detail the next morning. Scary movies give her nightmares, apparently she gets put right into the middle of whatever gruesome thing she was watching. This will be her first HHN, I have no idea how she will react to it. She didn't think she would like rollercoasters or rough rides and she ended up loving them. She doesn't like to put her head under water but she loved it when I took her whitewater rafting on the Ocoee river this summer. I'm hoping she has the same positive reaction to scare zones.

GinaBean
09-30-2008, 09:59 PM
I am not a fan of scary movies-I just don't like them. I think HHN falls in the same category. I don't want to pay for something I don't like.

I also do not go on big roller coasters-they make me sick and I hate, hate, hate being sick. Just not fun for me.

I am the same way. Even though I know horror movies and haunted houses are fake, it's just not something I enjoy and want to spend my money on. To each his/her own.

macraven
10-01-2008, 12:05 AM
Then you are going through the houses with me. I love to go with screamers. :rotfl:

you would love going thru a house with her metro.

laura and i did the houses together 3 years back, and yup, she is a screamer!!

she was kewl...
she even screamed when she went the wrong way inside the house..
it was so much fun.

she screamed and i laughed.

i haven't screamed yet in the houses or zones.
i'm so intrigued by them and just stare and look at everything and everyone.

i have children.
i guess that is why the houses don't get to me and make me scream....:laughing:

Laurabearz
10-01-2008, 12:25 AM
scream jump cuss....scream jump cuss... I even once hit the floor.

Nothing like hearing the scaractors chuckling :upsidedow

goofysully
10-01-2008, 02:34 AM
my dw is a screamer also, i just like the rush, the thing that drives me batty are the folks who go in with the attitude that they are not going to get scared, what did you pay your money for if you do not want the scare, just dont get it. We are going down the weekend of the 24th for our 10th visit to HHH, we are bringing a couple this year who are newbies, hope they enjoy it as much as we do.

d4est
10-01-2008, 07:09 AM
I wish I could go. I love haunts. I am a scaredicat, but at the same time, love it. I love the butterflies in my stomach in anticipation of what's to come.

My son is 11. He wants to go too. He loves scary movies--as long as they are not based on true events. If he sees or hears that in an advertisement, he will not watch it. The boy is a Jason Voorhees junkie. He loved all the movies, except when they brought in Freddie. He's one kid who will be able to handle HHN earlier than most.

I'd love to get out there for it in a year or two. Bad time of year to travel for DH due to his job...

keishashadow
10-01-2008, 07:52 AM

1) I know it's all fake.

i've done many HH over the years, imo a good scream is right up there with a good cry ;) ; although i have many friends who don't like surprises/being startled (come to think of it they don't like amusement parks either:confused3 ).

while i luv a good scare:thumbsup2 , there r 2 things that do push my button:

*gory hospital scenes (if u've spent anytime around them u probably know what i mean:sad2: ), combined with

*overt torture (as opposed to garden variety;) type)

looking forward to most of the houses, thanx to the reviews have a good idea of which house isn't for me:goodvibes

nice to have both the reviews & the wide variety of activities from which to choose :banana:

patster734
10-01-2008, 09:10 AM
My wife hates anything dealing with scares and won't participate. Similar to Purseval's wife, she gets nightmares after seeing a scary movie so she avoids them. She's also told me that she was frequently sick on Halloween and so didn't do much trick-or-treating. I don't attempt to persuade her to see a scary movie or go to haunted houses as I know she won't enjoy it. Unfortunately, that means I usually miss out too (haven't seen any of the Saw movies), but not always, as this upcoming trip proves.

Next week will be the third time that we've been at Universal during HHN. The first time, we both skipped it. The second time, we brought my parents along. Mom and I did HHN, while my dad and my wife hung out at Citywalk, watching Sunday Night Football. This year, we're bringing my parents again, but I'm the only one doing HHN this time. Fortunately, I've signed up for a RIP tour which will be a lot of fun.

inkkognito
10-01-2008, 10:51 AM
my dw is a screamer also, i just like the rush, the thing that drives me batty are the folks who go in with the attitude that they are not going to get scared, what did you pay your money for if you do not want the scare, just dont get it. We are going down the weekend of the 24th for our 10th visit to HHH, we are bringing a couple this year who are newbies, hope they enjoy it as much as we do.
Worse than those are the ones who not only don't want to get scared but want to made rude comments to the scareactors and ruin it for everyone else. We were in with one jerk who insisted on pointing out all the places where the scareactors would pop out...so of course they didn't. We were behind her, and I so wanted to kick her in the you-know-what.

PatriciaH
10-01-2008, 12:34 PM
I love horror movies and I have since I was little. I used to get Fangoria magazine when I was 11/12:) I really wanted to do special effects/movie makeup, so HHN is a great treat for me to see all the cool sets and makeup. I don't get scared, but I do get startled and sometimes jump and scream. It cracks DH up. He does not love horror movies or HHN as much as me but will humor me by going every year. :rotfl: My mother says she has no idea where her kids come from since my sister loves scary movies too. Mom hates anything like that (the devil, horror, paranormal, ouiji.) Haha. I even like movies like Saw, Hostel and cheesy horror remakes like Ghost Ship and 13 Ghosts. There have only been a few scary books/movies that have bugged me for a while-It (book), Pet Semetary (both), White Noise (hate that ripped apart scene) and the people that morphed into deamons in Devils Advocate. :scared1:

crashbb
10-01-2008, 01:11 PM

See, this, to me, is a reason to be scared, not a reason not be scared. I don't like people/things jumping out at me and I especially don't like knowing that it might happen.

I'm good on roller coasters and thrill rides - just don't like dark places where things/people can jump out at me.

I admit, the only ride I hate (am scared of) at WDW is "It's Tough to be a Bug". I actually made myself go back on it when at DL and I still didn't enjoy it (though I wasn't quite as freaked out).

Hey, I'm a chicken and I'm good with that.

alycia23
10-01-2008, 04:41 PM
I LOVE scary movies, I just have to watch them in the middle of the day, or with the lights on. My Dh is the same way. I cannot sit next to him at scary movies because he is always jumping. We love HHN and HOS, and everything halloween. (We almost got married on Halloween) We love the scare houses and the scare zones, and I am a huge screamer. I usually loose my voice the next day. I cannot wait to go this year. Going on 10/5 and sunday cannot get here soon enough:cool1:

LilMommyBug
10-01-2008, 05:47 PM
I wont go, b/c I don't like being scared - plain & simple. There is nothing fun about jumping, or almost peeing my pants. :lmao:

FWIW, I hate rollercoasters too. :)

Metro West
10-01-2008, 07:30 PM
FWIW, I hate rollercoasters too. :)

http://bestsmileys.com/fainting/1.gif

Cindy B
10-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Ok, there was a big fire in an amusement park haunted house (Great Adventure) and people died. Even though this happened years ago, I'm still scared.

I hate scary movies and don't like suprises. I'd hate HHN. (or I'd be the only geek actually going on the rides!)

inkkognito
10-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Ok, there was a big fire in an amusement park haunted house (Great Adventure) and people died. Even though this happened years ago, I'm still scared.
I am a fire paranoic too and I know about that one and another that I believe was in St. Louis. but I did the lights-on tour at HHN last year and saw how carefully they have the exits set up so I feel very safe there.

LilMommyBug
10-01-2008, 08:12 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/fainting/1.gif

I know, shocking huh? ;)

coastermom
10-01-2008, 08:28 PM

I hate scary movies and don't like suprises. I'd hate HHN. (or I'd be the only geek actually going on the rides!)

yes I remember it well. The area there is now a garden . Every ride in that area since the fire has had issues. Strange but true. Now that whole area is not even being used this season at all. Only the garden of eatin is being used for picnic's and such.

I am a HUGE chicken . Even at Great Adventure's Fright Fest which is not even half as scarey as HHN I have nervous issues . I always worry someone is going to touch me or follow me . I am nervous at night and just don't like the gore factor. I hate horror movies and gorey visions of blood and guts. On the other hand stick me on Kingda KA at 128 MPH and 456 feet tall and I am in HEAVEN >>> :love: ..
Everyone is different it is what makes the world go round. I would love however to take my DH to HHN next year for his 40th birthday . Now if I could just get the guts up to go and a baby sitter that would be even better. :thumbsup2

Off to bed with the kids home from school for two days I am very happy to send them back in the morning . PTA holiday fair meeting for me in the morning then off to the crafts store and then home to clean. Fun filled day anyone got better plans? i sure do hope so.

inkkognito
10-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Back in the day we used to go to Fright Fest at Six Flags Great America. I have to admit that I did get a real scare there one year...something more frightening than anything I've encountered at HHN or any other haunted house. After waiting well over an hour, a guide takes a group of us into the house. All of a sudden the lights come on and we hear a PA announcement: "This attraction has temporarily ceased operations." NOT what you want to hear after waiting so long to get in the stinkin' house! Thankfully it was just part of the show, and I give kudos for creativity to whoever thought that one up because it was indeed very freakin' scary.

girli565
10-01-2008, 10:37 PM
I'm a huge screamer, I freak, jump and shake. I HATE the feelings and vowed never to go again after The Director year but the fiancee has never been so I had to go this year for him. I will be white-knuckling it all night, no houses though, that's where I draw the line, the scarezones are enough for me.

khertz
10-02-2008, 09:17 PM
I know it's fake, and I know none of the scareactors are going to touch/harm me, but HHN still freaked me out so bad that I was pretty much miserable the whole night we were there last year. I don't enjoy being scared AT ALL, and I knew I wasn't really going to enjoy myself, but I did it because DH was excited about it, and our tickets were free. I only went in 1 house and decided it was too much for me. My DH even asked why I was so scared when I could see where the actors were jumping out from for the people ahead of us, but I just can't help it!

He went through the rest of the houses by himself while I waited in gift shops and restaurants so no one on the streets would harass me for being alone. LoL The only thing I enjoyed the whole night was the Bill & Ted show, that was funny! And once we found a way to avoid the scare zones anymore (there was a street with a clown on a motorcycle, so there were no other actors on that street), I was a little better. Good thing it was free, because I DEFINITELY wouldn't have gotten my money's worth on my ticket!!