PDA

View Full Version : How do you dress a child for 80's day???

rluey29
09-29-2008, 07:42 PM
My 3rd grade DS has spirit week going on and tomorrow is 80's day. Please tell me how a 3rd grader should look for this! I don't have a clue.

Remember!!!My child is a boy so I don't think dressing him like Madonna, or putting him in leg warmers is going to go over too well with him, LOL.

Promomx2
09-29-2008, 07:48 PM
I'm thinking early madonna, breakfast club. Maybe you can google them and get some ideas. Would love to see a pix.:surfweb:

LadyEMT
09-29-2008, 07:49 PM
I am a child of the '80's...graduated HS in 1987.

Funny thing, alot of stuff they are selling in stores ARE SO '80s! Lol.

FSUDisneyGirl
09-29-2008, 07:50 PM
jean shorts, flourescent colors? umm...visors? LOL! I don't really know, I was 0-7 years old in the 80s!

http://images.buycostumes.com/mgen/merchandiser/18321.jpg

LOL there's one! Don't forget the awesome hair! :rotfl:

KigerKat
09-29-2008, 07:51 PM
Lots of bright colors: pink, green, yellow, orange. Maybe leggings and a long t-shirt with a belt. Leg warmers are a must!! Tons of bracelets and big earrings. Don't forget the Aquanet!! ;)

JackJack08
What about leg warmers??:lmao: Memba those......

dis-happy
I was thinking madonna-ish too, just not the pointy bra thing! But lots of jangly jewelry, a couple of layers on top, floral prints, tie a wide ribbon around her head with a bow off to the side. Think layers and patterned textured for her socks, add some lace.

Can you recall what Miss Piggy looks like when she sings in the Muppet 3D Movie at WDW? That was very 80's style!

aladams2
09-29-2008, 07:52 PM
cuffed jeans? neon? lots of jewlery?

richmond282
09-29-2008, 07:57 PM
Don't forget, big hair, tight rolled jeans, huge t-shirts tied at the waist...

MickeyMomOfThree
09-29-2008, 07:57 PM
This is more later 80s but we would wear tight jeans folded over and rolled up at the ankle.
Then we'd wear like 3 or 4 pairs of colored socks (in every color of our shirt) layered and overlapping on the outside of our jeans.
Shirts with the collars up.
BIG HAIR, oh the hair was crazy.
Lots of bracelets, particullarly the jelly ones (you can still get them, the kids get them at Chuck e Cheese for prizes.) We'd wear like 100 of them.
Blue eye shadow is a must!!!
Oh, and we'd wear suspenders on our pants but hanging down, not over ourselves.
And huge baggy sweaters.
And sweatshirts inside out and off the shoulder.

You are making me miss my middle school years in a weird way!

nena
09-29-2008, 07:58 PM
long T-shirt with a belt and leggings underneath. Hoop earings, bangle bracelets, leg warmers, canvas shoes.

java
09-29-2008, 08:01 PM
DS I am assuming a SON.
Skinny tie
think Miami Vice- a pastel Blazer? tee shirt and jeans Blazer with sleeves rolled up.
Sneakers without socks

dakcp2001
09-29-2008, 08:02 PM
SIDE PONYTAIL!!!!

legwarmers, skyscraper bangs glued up with aquanet

Punky Brewster-ish bandannas lots of big tacky costume jewlry

tikilyn
09-29-2008, 08:10 PM
Oh I miss the 80's! Don't tell anyone but I'm secretly waiting for big hair to come back in style!:lmao:

java
09-29-2008, 08:10 PM
HELLO PEOPLE I THINK SHE HAS A SON NOT A DAUGHTER. :rotfl2:

twinklebug
09-29-2008, 08:15 PM
From what I recall of my classmates in college, T-shirts and Levis were hot ... hey, they still are :confused3

dis-happy
09-29-2008, 08:27 PM

Ooops. :rotfl2:

Tink561
09-29-2008, 08:36 PM
I am a child of the '80's...graduated HS in 1987.

Funny thing, alot of stuff they are selling in stores ARE SO '80s! Lol.

Exactly what I was thinking. I see the 80s all over the mall. ;)

StephMK
09-29-2008, 08:37 PM
:rotfl: I think everyone got all caught up in their fond 80's memories for a moment!

For DS, still rolled jeans, neon or preppy look? Funky hat or can he do an odd hairstyle? lol

No kidding to the poster that mentioned those styles are coming back! I went shopping w/DD14 & was having serious deja vu at some stores. She didn't find it amusing when I commented those styles weren't cool then, why the heck are they bringing them back now?? :rotfl2: And mentioning I might have to see if I had any of my old 80s stuff to dig out about made her eyes roll out of their sockets.

I am not ashamed to admit I do miss the 80s - good times!

MickeyMomOfThree
09-29-2008, 08:45 PM

OOPS, my bad...Why can't I remember anything about the boys back then???

MickeyMomOfThree
09-29-2008, 08:50 PM
DH is helping...
MC Hammer type pants, parachute or whatever.
Acid washed jeans
NEON shirts or Preppy Collar up shirts or (yuck!!!) mesh athletic shirts

Gee, with fashions like these I wonder why I can't remember much about the guys back then...:rotfl:

JackJack08
09-29-2008, 08:52 PM

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: Ummm....yeah...better forget the legwarmers!! :lmao: I think of Duran Duran, when I think of 80's boys. Oh, and a comb in the back pocket!

chattyann
09-29-2008, 09:25 PM
My husband and I were teens of the 80's. I asked him and he says parachute pants, or tight legged jeans rolled up with no socks and eastlands. Pastel colored T-shirts with or without Blazer. I also remember turtle necks and cardigans with tight jeans and eastlands. Makes me miss the good ole days. :rotfl2:

brandylouwho
09-29-2008, 10:57 PM
Went to an 80s party a few years ago, lots of the guys were dresesd like breakdancers.

They had an 80s day at our daycare last year, I found guess jeans at Goodwill and rolled them tight/cuffed at ankle for my daughter, and found an Esprit shirt (that looked like it was from the 80s) to go with it.

I would think a pastel polo shirt with the collar up would be easy enough to find even today for a boy.

Oh, 80s day would be so fun to dress up for!

aspcamhreditor2
09-29-2008, 11:08 PM
Easiest for a boy would like Bruce Springsteen on the cover of "Born in the USA" album ... faded jeans, white t-shirt, handkerchief in back pocket.

Second easiest ... polo shirt w/ collar turned up.

Other items ... parachute pants (different from MC Hammer pants), Izod, Members only jackets

What were those meshy belts ... buckle them long and leave the "extra" hanging.

Sleepy
09-30-2008, 12:27 AM
Members only jackets

I always snicker when I hear anyone mention those jackets. I think about the quote from Shallow Hal.
"So what are you, the last member?" :laughing:

I always wanted one of those jackets when they were popular. Mom always said no. What was I thinking?

Punk Rock look was in style back then. Spiked hair, etc.

Todd&Copper
09-30-2008, 05:47 AM
Punk is easy! A pair of fitted/skinny jeans, a T-shirt with slashes cut across it, a wide leather belt and either converse or Doc Martens. And spike up his hair. You can also "decorate" his shirt with safety pins.

java
09-30-2008, 05:52 AM
in August I went to an '80's reunion tour- One of the bands was ABC and the lead singer was STILL WEARING an orange suit!:rotfl2:
Oh and Flock of Seagulls- oh my. :sad2: did not age well but still sounded great.
Oh and Belinda C. from the go'go's was adorable

It was like I stepped back in time- if I closed my eyes.
OP I hope your son has a fun day.

Robmom
09-30-2008, 08:11 AM
I always snicker when I hear anyone mention those jackets. I think about the quote from Shallow Hal.
"So what are you, the last member?" :laughing:

I always wanted one of those jackets when they were popular. Mom always said no. What was I thinking?

Punk Rock look was in style back then. Spiked hair, etc.

I had two of the Members Only jackets. :lmao:

I think it was already mentioned, but he could wear a tshirt and a blazer with the sleeves rolled up. And, no socks with dress shoes - remember Don Johnson in Miami Vice?

DisFlan
09-30-2008, 09:41 AM
Mullet hairdo and large, unstructured jacket with shoulder pads - in pastel colors. Skinny tie or tee shirt. Sunglasses. A gold chain. Google an '80s Billy Ray Cyrus - singing "Achy Breaky Heart". Or Don Johnson in "Miami Vice".

DisFlan

pnutmnm
09-30-2008, 09:45 AM
Wear 2 polos with the collar up.

Karenj2
09-30-2008, 09:49 AM
Mullet hairdo and large, unstructured jacket with shoulder pads - in pastel colors. Skinny tie or tee shirt. Sunglasses. A gold chain. Google an '80s Billy Ray Cyrus - singing "Achy Breaky Heart". Or Don Johnson in "Miami Vice".

DisFlan

Wasn't Achy Breaky Heart from the 90's?? I knew that song in college!

GothTink
09-30-2008, 10:55 AM
My son just had spirit week and they had an 80s day. W went with 80s punk. He wore skinny black jeans with a bandana tied around his thigh, military boots, a band t-shirt and a denim vest, covered with buttons. He also wore a hat with a bigger button that said " (heart) being awesome". :lmao:

TruBlu
09-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Collar up
Tight Jeans
White shoes with no socks

And... if you can find one....
a rat tail. :thumbsup2

TruBlu
09-30-2008, 11:01 AM
remember Don Johnson in Miami Vice?OR - even better....
Johnny Depp in 21 Jump Street :lovestruc

Robmom
09-30-2008, 07:06 PM
OR - even better....
Johnny Depp in 21 Jump Street :lovestruc

You got me there. :lovestruc

Someone else mentioned the rattail. :rotfl2: I had that too. :upsidedow

KristinU
09-30-2008, 07:18 PM
how about pinned jeans - safety pins to make them super tight at the ankles and up as far as you want to take it. I wonder if you could still find checkerboard Vans shoes anywhere. I have noticed that a lot of the retro stuff has become now-tro (to pull a term from Christopher Guest in A Mighty Wind) :rotfl2:

brenalexacamp
09-30-2008, 07:25 PM
a rolled bandana- like loverboy
rattail
one feathered clip on earring
billy idol!!

thin tie
footloose clothes

oh-just come to my house- I have enough 80's clothes for everyone!:rotfl:

Robmom
09-30-2008, 07:42 PM
I wonder if you could still find checkerboard Vans shoes anywhere.

My DD bought those recently, I think she got them from Footlocker.

stacie_d
09-30-2008, 07:58 PM
What about the red or black pants and jacket with all the zippers?

Ah...I remember my pants. I got them from big lots.

SnowWhite607
09-30-2008, 08:08 PM
Oh my gosh! Is the 80s day like one of those "oldies days"?? We used to dress up like the 50s. Oh my gish, I graduated in 1986. I feel so OLD having the 80s be a dress up day for oldies! LOL!

NEDisneyFans
09-30-2008, 09:00 PM
Jon Cryer -- Duckie -- from Pretty in Pink!

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j120/aunts2topher/Duckie3.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j120/aunts2topher/Duckie1.jpg

More fun than Boy George!

Poohs Corner
09-30-2008, 09:40 PM
Don't forget, big hair, tight rolled jeans, huge t-shirts tied at the waist...

OMG... Im having flash :hippie: backs.. lol.. TIGHT ROLLED JEANS,, so tight our ankles couldn't breath... lol.. OH and Boat shoes/decks.. They are big again, down here. My DD20 who was born in 1988 LOVES everything eighties.. She is always asking me why I couldn't be OLDER so I could have had her earlier so she could have been a teen in the eighties.. Thinking to myself it wasn't that great.. :rolleyes: Geeshh.. BUT she would give anything to be a teen back then..

OH and button down shirts.. And that MEMBERS only jacket from the 80's... lol Didn't think I would ever see the day that thing came back in style.. http://www.boston.com/ae/theater_arts/exhibitionist/membersonly.jpg

So what did you figure out for your son to wear?

melancholywings
09-30-2008, 09:48 PM
You could pick up a jean jacket at a thrift store. Fill a water bottle with bleach, then spray it in the bath tub to do an 80's bleached demin jacket. DH still has his jacket, and when DD had her 80's day I let her wear my plastic charm necklace and old swatch watch.:rotfl:

DisFlan
10-01-2008, 08:33 AM
Wasn't Achy Breaky Heart from the 90's?? I knew that song in college!

Yup, it was from '92, but Billy Ray was so '80s when he did that song.

I like the Billy Idol idea, too!

DisFlan

daisax
10-01-2008, 10:11 AM
Don't know how much time you have to put into it, but Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion and The Wedding Singer have lots of 80s flashbacks.

And I caught a first season episode of Roseanne yesterday that was pretty on the mark, too! (Becky was all excited about getting her "skinny jeans") and everybody had big, big hair!

sherabby
10-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Oh, and we'd wear suspenders on our pants but hanging down, not over ourselves.

I did that too! I'm an 80's graduate too!

sherabby
10-01-2008, 10:41 AM
I had a white jacket like Don in Miami Vice. Also a white hat to match.

solfan68
10-01-2008, 10:43 AM
I'm thinkin Tom Cruise, ala Risky Business, would be out of the question ? :rotfl:

NotUrsula
10-01-2008, 11:14 AM
Michael J. Fox in just about ANYTHING before Doc Holiday. Think Back to the Future or Teen Wolf.

Bleached jeans with tight ankles, white sneakers, a plaid flannel shirt over a colored t-shirt, and suspenders on top of all of it. If you really want to push it one more notch, a bandanna tied around the thigh. Slick his hair back on the sides and let the top hair flop into his eyes.

rebecca06261
10-01-2008, 11:22 AM
2 words: Miami Vice ;)

fakereadhed
10-01-2008, 11:57 AM
Too bad DH is at work. I'd take a picture of him and send it to you. :lmao:

Mean Queen
10-01-2008, 12:05 PM
For a boy, my thought is either the surfer thing with board shorts and an OP shirt, a Member's only jacket with cuffed acid washed jeans, or parachute pants.

gottaluvdis
10-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Wow, is this topic incredibly relevant for us right now! DD11 is in this play with her theater company, to stage in November:

http://www.backtothe80smusical.com/homeMenu.html

Not only does she have to dress 80's, but she has to dress as an 80's nerd! Luckily we have a costume designer advising everyone, but we may have to come up with some of her own pieces. And to top it all off, the last scene of the show is a prom scene, so we have to find an 80's prom dress! Luckily for her I was a child of the 80's (both HS and college), and I happen to have 2 bridesmaid dresses from 1989 in my basement (we'll see how good a shape they're in :confused3 ). It's been fun reliving all the fashions, lingo and songs from her script. I've noticed retro-80's appearing all over the Mall now also.