PDA

View Full Version : Guiness Ice Cream

inkkognito
09-28-2008, 04:06 PM
I made an interesting discovery yesterday. The gelato place inside Luigi's has Guiness ice cream. Yes, as in flavored like the beer! I know that might sound gross, but it's actually quite delicious. They used to have it at an Irish restaurant when I lived in Chicago, but they got rid of it years ago and I haven't had it since then...till now. If you're an adventurous ice cream lover, check it out. They will let you try a taste spoon to see if you like it. I'm kinda surprised they don't offer it in Finnegans.

donaldduck352
09-28-2008, 04:22 PM
It does sound diffrent.Gotta try it for the heck of it now!!

Metro West
09-28-2008, 06:21 PM
I've never heard of Guiness ice cream. :confused3

DIZNUT57
09-29-2008, 09:28 AM
I think Ben&Jerry's has a Guiness ice cream as well. I think it is called Black and Tan. I have not tasted it but I'm going to give a try next time I see it.

inkkognito
09-29-2008, 09:31 AM
It is soooo good! I think it might be Louies, not Luigi's?! It's the Italian place going toward Amity...I never ate there before so I don't really know the name. The gelato counter is separate from the big pizza counter.

But keep in mind I like other weird flavors like red bean, green tea, and sour yogurt ice cream so your own mileage may vary. I'm gonna get me a big ol' scoop next Thurs. at HHN.

lachica
09-29-2008, 10:06 AM
I think you are right its Louies' I saw the gelato sign when we were going to Finn's.

Metro West
09-29-2008, 04:07 PM
It is soooo good! I think it might be Louies, not Luigi's?! It's the Italian place going toward Amity...I never ate there before so I don't really know the name. The gelato counter is separate from the big pizza counter. Louie's has excellent pizza...I ate there Friday night.

rpbert1
09-29-2008, 04:23 PM
Never liked Guinness so reckon i will give it a miss.
inkkognito, Guiness is not beer its a stout - do not let Guinness drinkers here you calling it a Beer. :scared1:

inkkognito
09-29-2008, 07:46 PM
Uh oh, I stand corrected! Since you're from Ireland I will take your word for it ;)

minniejack
09-30-2008, 07:50 AM
If you think about Guinness sorta does taste a bit like coffee. They have coffee ice cream why not beer? Hope it's still there at Christmas to try.

MelanieC
09-30-2008, 12:36 PM
ooh - Not a beer drinker, but I like try different things. I'll have to check this out next summer. yummy!

Ron Burgundy
10-01-2008, 07:00 AM
]I think Ben&Jerry's has a Guiness ice cream as well. I think it is called Black and Tan[/B]. I have not tasted it but I'm going to give a try next time I see it.

Yeah the name didn't go down well in Ireland. To be honest state side i haven't had a decent pint of Guinness so i can only imagine how the ice cream tastes:lmao:

jeslynhat
10-01-2008, 10:52 AM
I made an interesting discovery yesterday. The gelato place inside Luigi's has Guiness ice cream. Yes, as in flavored like the beer! I know that might sound gross, but it's actually quite delicious. They used to have it at an Irish restaurant when I lived in Chicago, but they got rid of it years ago and I haven't had it since then...till now. If you're an adventurous ice cream lover, check it out. They will let you try a taste spoon to see if you like it. I'm kinda surprised they don't offer it in Finnegans.

GUINNESS ICE CREAM?!
My oh my, God DOES answer prayers! :worship: (LOL) :lmao:

minniejack
10-01-2008, 11:06 AM
does anyone remember baskin robbins champagne flavored ice cream--we don't have the 31 flavors around here anymore--so I don't know if they still carry it, but it was delish.

vinvader
10-01-2008, 03:12 PM
:thumbsup2 Thanks for the tip, I love Guinness so I'll be sure to give it a try! :thumbsup2

donaldduck352
10-01-2008, 03:38 PM
Yeah the name didn't go down well in Ireland. To be honest state side i haven't had a decent pint of Guinness so i can only imagine how the ice cream tastes:lmao:

I got a friend thats from England and only drinks Guinness.Got to say its a acquired taste,espiacally warm.But thats how its drank.Gave me a buzz after my second pint!!;)

He has got a keg and goes thru a keg every month and a half..I think it goes better with steak then by itself..IMO

rpbert1
10-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Warm Guinness :laughing: must be an English thing, never heard of anyone drinking it warm, its bad enough cold.
Only decent place for a Guinness is Ireland especially around Dublin Area-sorry and Portlaoise area Ron Burgundy:rolleyes1

vinvader
10-02-2008, 11:34 AM
Hmmmm, can't say I've ever tried warm Guinness, I prefer Guinness Extra Cold on tap.
:drinking1 :drinking1 :goodvibes :goodvibes :drinking1 :drinking1 :banana: :banana::banana: ........ :drinking1 :drinking1 :drinking1 :upsidedow :upsidedow :upsidedow

Ron Burgundy
10-02-2008, 12:18 PM
I got a friend thats from England and only drinks Guinness.Got to say its a acquired taste,espiacally warm.But thats how its drank.Gave me a buzz after my second pint!!;)

He has got a keg and goes thru a keg every month and a half..I think it goes better with steak then by itself..IMO

Eh warm Guinness, any more jokes:rotfl2:

Being a keen stout drinker myself i can say that warm ain't the way to drink it. Oh and an English man giving advice on it is even funnier:lmao:

Oh the Guinness in Portlaoise ain't bad at all. But i'll stick to my local in Portarlington.

willis37862
10-02-2008, 06:14 PM
It is soooo good! I think it might be Louies, not Luigi's?! It's the Italian place going toward Amity...I never ate there before so I don't really know the name. The gelato counter is separate from the big pizza counter.

But keep in mind I like other weird flavors like red bean, green tea, and sour yogurt ice cream so your own mileage may vary. I'm gonna get me a big ol' scoop next Thurs. at HHN.

I love gelato :thumbsup2 Didn't know they had it there, thanks ! And the guiness ice cream sounds interesting, I think we will have to try it next time.

donaldduck352
10-02-2008, 06:32 PM
Eh warm Guinness, any more jokes:rotfl2:

Being a keen stout drinker myself i can say that warm ain't the way to drink it. Oh and an English man giving advice on it is even funnier:lmao:

Oh the Guinness in Portlaoise ain't bad at all. But i'll stick to my local in Portarlington.

I'm telling you truthly thats the only way he drinks it..:sick: He is in his (i;m thinking)late 60's,but donn't look a day over 50..

If thats what it takes to live longer,I'm gonna start drinking my Coors warm.:eek:
But thats not a stout..I'm a Ale man personally.My favorite beer is Busch,the most popular beer at any bar I go to.But try finding it anywhere other then the bar or the store:mad: The 2nd or 3rd best selling beer A-B gots and they donn't serve it other then that:confused3

OH bye the way,Im as Irish as you can get..I still got family in the motherland :thumbsup2

Now state side Sam Adams makes a heck of a stout:thumbsup2

inkkognito
10-03-2008, 01:38 PM
There was some sort of evil conspiracy to keep me from getting the Guiness ice cream last night. We went into Louie's a little before 4:30 and they said, "We can't sell it to you till night time." Uh...okay. Then I returned around 10, which is the same time I had it last time (park is open till midnight), and they said, "We're closed."

Tonight I will be on a mission to get my frozen Guiness treat!!

willis37862
10-03-2008, 02:09 PM
There was some sort of evil conspiracy to keep me from getting the Guiness ice cream last night. We went into Louie's a little before 4:30 and they said, "We can't sell it to you till night time." Uh...okay. Then I returned around 10, which is the same time I had it last time (park is open till midnight), and they said, "We're closed."

Tonight I will be on a mission to get my frozen Guiness treat!!

:confused: That's a real head scratcher ! We had beer at lunch when we ate at Finnegan's last trip......and just how much ice cream would you have to eat to get a buzz ;)

inkkognito
10-03-2008, 02:16 PM
:confused: That's a real head scratcher ! We had beer at lunch when we ate at Finnegan's last trip......and just how much ice cream would you have to eat to get a buzz ;)
Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. There's liquor all over the park, but they can't sell me Guiness ice cream?! Both times I was there, I had the keen impression that they didn't want to be bothered with a customer. The first time, we stood there for literally several minutes without being acknowledged before I finally asked, "Are you open?" They said, "We're not supposed to be but we'll take care of you." I dunno if that was true, but it was a little before 4:30 and the pizza end of things was definitely open and there were two workers in the gelato area. That's when I asked for the Guiness and was told, "We can only sell that at night." Weird...

willis37862
10-03-2008, 02:27 PM
Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. There's liquor all over the park, but they can't sell me Guiness ice cream?! Both times I was there, I had the keen impression that they didn't want to be bothered with a customer. The first time, we stood there for literally several minutes without being acknowledged before I finally asked, "Are you open?" They said, "We're not supposed to be but we'll take care of you." I dunno if that was true, but it was a little before 4:30 and the pizza end of things was definitely open and there were two workers in the gelato area. That's when I asked for the Guiness and was told, "We can only sell that at night." Weird...

Yeah that doesn't sound right. Hope it goes better tonight!

donaldduck352
10-03-2008, 06:07 PM
I always sit at the bar and get quik service..

I would be raising kane if someone ignored me that long to get service..:mad:

inkkognito
10-03-2008, 10:20 PM
Okay, I am officially cured from ever getting Guiness ice cream at USF again! This time I made sure I went to the gelato stand plenty early during HHN. I asked for a cup of the ice cream, which is how they served it before when I ordered other flavors. They said, "Oh, it only comes in a shot glass." We are talking a TINY shot glass (although it has one of those light up bottoms), and it was $7.50!!! Yep, that much money for a portion of ice cream rough the size of my little finger. At this point it had become a vendetta so I got it anyway, but sadly that will be it for me.

I wonder why they only serve it that way. It's not like the ice cream is laden with alcohol and gonna get you drunk. At the place where I used to get it, they just served it in normal portions. When that old place stopped serving it, I should have realized that I'm just not meant to ever have it again...sigh! The most exotic I'll order from now on is Pumpkin Pie flavor.

Metro West
10-04-2008, 04:44 AM
Okay, I am officially cured from ever getting Guiness ice cream at USF again! This time I made sure I went to the gelato stand plenty early during HHN. I asked for a cup of the ice cream, which is how they served it before when I ordered other flavors. They said, "Oh, it only comes in a shot glass." We are talking a TINY shot glass (although it has one of those light up bottoms), and it was $7.50!!! Yep, that much money for a portion of ice cream rough the size of my little finger. At this point it had become a vendetta so I got it anyway, but sadly that will be it for me.

I wonder why they only serve it that way. It's not like the ice cream is laden with alcohol and gonna get you drunk. At the place where I used to get it, they just served it in normal portions. When that old place stopped serving it, I should have realized that I'm just not meant to ever have it again...sigh! The most exotic I'll order from now on is Pumpkin Pie flavor.I guess that saves me $7.50 then! :rotfl:

inkkognito
10-04-2008, 02:32 PM
Actually you can just stop by and ask for the free taster spoon. It would be nearly as much ice cream as you get in the shot glass!

perdidobay
10-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Warm Guinness :laughing: must be an English thing, never heard of anyone drinking it warm, its bad enough cold.
Only decent place for a Guinness is Ireland especially around Dublin Area-sorry and Portlaoise area Ron Burgundy:rolleyes1

I agree Guinness tastes much better in Ireland and in Dublin it's best in the top of the Storehouse, ST James Gate

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b4d604b3127ccec8a6fdce3de000000010O08AZuWzZw3csw e3nwE/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

DH learned the proper way to pour a pint, and yes, he's in his happy place
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b4d604b3127ccec8a7fba69cf700000010O08AZuWzZw3csw e3nwE/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

In our town we have a beer place called Flying Saucer, it's a chain. They have a Guinness float on the dessert menu...but I'm looking forward to the Guinness ice cream.