PDA

View Full Version : Costco no longer accepting reservation transfers

Tonyspad
09-25-2008, 03:51 AM
I tried to switch my reservation to Costco today for a Costco rebate card and they told me that Disney no longer allows them to transfer existing reservations. I was hoping for the rebate card and now am wondering if any other TA can take my reservation for a SBC?

Pansy
09-25-2008, 04:38 AM
:guilty: I hope not that is really going to cut back on the OBC's.

CraftyMouse
09-25-2008, 06:52 AM
It's about time DCL wised up. They were losing thousands and thousands (perhaps millions) of dollars to travel agency commissions because of the transferred bookings. I'm not surprised they've changed their policy.

InstImpres
09-25-2008, 07:43 AM
They changed the policy months ago (as reported here). Agencies can still accept transfers it is just structured differently.

Regina
09-25-2008, 07:51 AM
I just called DCL and they said it isn't so.

Was your cruise paid in full? Those can't be transferred. Maybe this is some sort of misunderstanding? :confused:

Mjasp
09-25-2008, 07:56 AM
Yep, agencies still accept transfers but I'm pretty sure at a lower commission, I guess Costco doesn't want to work for less commission.

Can I make a suggestion...Transfer your cruise to a travel agent who you feel will give you what they earn the commission on and that is service.

Many people transfer ressies for the OBC, but IMO transfer your ressie to a TA for the reason TA's earn their money and that is for their customer service and to be there for you if something goes awry.

I have a great TA who specializes in Disney cruises and I also booked a Royal Caribbean cruise through them last year, and my friend just booked a lengthy Disney World trip through them for a family of 7, and she did a ton of changes and nothing got messed up. Their customer service is #1.
And yes, at last check they do give OBC for Disney.

Tonyspad
09-25-2008, 08:05 AM
I have NOT paid off my reservation. I am sailing in a Cat 3 in July 2009 and was hoping for some sort of SBC. This cruise is VERY expensive, so every dollar helps.

Any suggestions for the next best TA with a SBC?

Pansy
09-25-2008, 08:35 AM
What is a SBC :confused3 I use DU, only one for me :cool1: They have quick wonderful service and offer OBC's.

InstImpres
09-25-2008, 08:39 AM
What is a SBC :confused3 I use DU, only one for me :cool1: They have quick wonderful service and offer OBC's.

OBC - on board credit
SBC - ship board credit

same thing just different phrase

Tink113
09-25-2008, 10:53 AM
That's really odd because Costco Travel still has Disney Cruises offered on their site.

Tink113
09-25-2008, 10:59 AM
They told me that, as the OP stated, they can not take over a reservation with Disney. You can still book with them, but you would have to cancel with Disney & re-book with Costco.

I was told that it's a new policy. Is this true for all TA's? Can you no longer transfer a ressie to any TA. We are going to re-book in May and were hoping to transfer to a TA for OBC.

Mjasp
09-25-2008, 11:04 AM
They told me that, as the OP stated, they can not take over a reservation with Disney. You can still book with them, but you would have to cancel with Disney & re-book with Costco.

I was told that it's a new policy. Is this true for all TA's? Can you no longer transfer a ressie to any TA. We are going to re-book in May and were hoping to transfer to a TA for OBC.

No you can still transfer to a TA, it's just that DCL cut the commission on transferred ressies so obvioulsy Costco won't work for less.

Gr00vyChc
09-25-2008, 11:32 AM
What's the advantage of rebooking through another agency? So can you then book through Costco first and then transfer over to DCL?? We didn't rebook last time we cruised.. but should we do this next time we book a cruise?

NancyIL
09-25-2008, 11:52 AM
What's the advantage of rebooking through another agency? So can you then book through Costco first and then transfer over to DCL?? We didn't rebook last time we cruised.. but should we do this next time we book a cruise?

You wouldn't be transferring the reservation to DCL, but rather releasing it back to the cruise line - losing any onboard credits from Costco.

dylan'smom
09-25-2008, 12:10 PM
You wouldn't be transferring the reservation to DCL, but rather releasing it back to the cruise line - losing any onboard credits from Costco.

Yep, And then to do that you would need Costco's written permission to release it back to them!

Actually, DCL still allows transfers to TAs and didn't "reduce" the commissions exactly -- but they did cap them at the lowest tier. So a company like Costco, who has the highest tier due to volume, takes a loss and could no longer afford to do the OBC! But some TAs earn at the capped rate already and commission is all the same to them. Of course they can only offer the OBC if they have a group, usually!!

bev
:cool2:

CGC33A
09-25-2008, 12:11 PM
transfering a reservation between travel agents is frowned up, in bad taste and not accepted by some TA unless the first TA is wildly incompetent. It causes the first TA to lose their commission. So choose wisely (or don't use them a second time).
It is generally okay to transfer a reservation made initially with the cruise line but not the other way around.

CGC33A
09-25-2008, 12:17 PM
Costco doesn't give an OBC, at least not to me. I am getting (or so I beleive) a generous Costco gift card upon my return that would be more than the OBC anywhere else. I had the opportunity to reduce my fare to the FL resident rate but didn't b/c then I would have lost the GC (due to the lower fare) and lost my DCL OBC from booking on board on a prior trip (this OBC doesn't apply for FL Res. rates I guess) so it didn't pay to get the reduced rate (that they were going to give me a hassle about anyway, even though I clearly asked about this possibility before I transferred the reservation to them)

InstImpres
09-25-2008, 12:18 PM
Just FYI, when rebooking on board you have the option of naming anyone you want as your TA or keeping it as a DCL direct reservation. If you name an agent at rebooking my guess is Costco will accept this as it is not "considered a transfer" in DCLs eyes.

Hope that makes sense.

jrabbit
09-25-2008, 12:33 PM
I was wondering about this. A few months ago I approached Costco about transfering my 2009 ressie to them - because I wanted the gift card too. I did this for our Europe Cruise last year and got a very nice sized gift card. When I contacted Costco about taking over my current ressie - they were not to interested - and they let me know that the gift card would be MUCH less than the prior one (under $100 rather than over $600 on a 7night caribbean vs 10 nite europe) - and that it would take at least 1/2 hour of time to process - so they would prefer it if I didn't.

Frankly in the last 25 years or so we have had ONE travel agent that has been worth anything!! Unfortunatly he retired several years ago. Never any screw ups or "missed" payments / ressies from him. Every other TA before him and after he retired was pretty useless (no - totally useless) so now with the Internet and ease of finding and booking airfare, hotels and cruises I can do it myself and "know" what I am getting into.

Gr00vyChc
09-25-2008, 12:51 PM
It seems to me that it's a lot of hassle transferring reservations.. so we just won't do it.

InstImpres
09-25-2008, 01:01 PM
and that it would take at least 1/2 hour of time to process - so they would prefer it if I didn't.

It seems to me that it's a lot of hassle transferring reservations.. so we just won't do it.

I am surprised they are saying this. We do transfers and it is usually under 5 minutes time from the guest (often an email as we need all of your contact/reservation information). While we are always happy to speak with people about their vacation the "transfer part" should not be time consuming

JMHO

stulaurie
09-25-2008, 05:34 PM
I wonder if this will also happen with AAA?

cats mom
09-25-2008, 07:46 PM
They changed the policy months ago (as reported here). Agencies can still accept transfers it is just structured differently.

Yep, I posted about this change back at the first of the year and IIRC I got raked over the coals a bit.
Maybe I should dig up and bump a couple of those old threads so I could feel vindicated. ;)
Kidding, I don't really care - but it was interesting.

Just a guess, but TA's who do lots of volume with DCL, but offer fairly small OBC's, can probably just absorb the commission changes and continue to offer the same promo's on transferred bookings as on new ones.

But TA's who don't do lots of volume (part of the commission structure with DCL is based on the volume of cruises a TA sells) or those who offer a much larger percentage of their commission back to the customer, will probably have to make changes to the amount of OBC they offer for transferred reservations; or like Costco, just not accept them.

moet7
09-25-2008, 10:03 PM
Hi
If you have already booked with Costco, will you still get the gift card or are they not giving them out at all anymore?

InstImpres
09-25-2008, 10:19 PM
Just a guess, but TA's who do lots of volume with DCL, but offer fairly small OBC's, can probably just absorb the commission changes and continue to offer the same promo's on transferred bookings as on new ones.

or those who offer a much larger percentage of their commission back to the customer, will probably have to make changes to the amount of OBC they offer for transferred reservations; or like Costco, just not accept them.

You hit the nail on the head. That is why you see some agencies with changes and others that don't. Compare Costco (or other agencies that have a new structure for transfers) to those that don't and you'll see the difference - where one was offering a $100-$500 SBC other agencies were offering $50-$100 on the identical sailing. Certainly the change in incoming requires those giving the bigger credits to look more carefully

Pudo
09-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Just FYI, when rebooking on board you have the option of naming anyone you want as your TA or keeping it as a DCL direct reservation. If you name an agent at rebooking my guess is Costco will accept this as it is not "considered a transfer" in DCLs eyes.
Hope that makes sense.

Naming an agency up front is not a transfer and the commission is much higher. My guess is Costco would take this type of reservation, but not a transfer since DCL cut back on the commissions paid on transfers.

I too think this is a policy they should have adopted a long time ago. There were too many dollars lost because many people would book with DCL and transfer to a TA for an OBC that most times didn't amount to more than $100 or so.

Pudo

MichelleB
09-26-2008, 08:34 AM
We booked a cruise for this December about 4 weeks ago. I booked through DCL direct because Costco was not open early enough for me to call before I left for work (work at a school so don't have access to calling at any time). I later called and transferred our 7 day Disney cruise to Costco (with no problems) and will get a g.c. for over $200 (don't know if I can post the exact amount so I'm not). I really prefer Costco. I've never had any problems with them but am sad to see I can't transfer to them anymore. If I wanted to book something the morning it comes available, Costco Travel is a 3 hour time difference. This is a disadvantage.

ga9497
09-26-2008, 08:48 AM
We booked a cruise for this December about 4 weeks ago. I booked through DCL direct because Costco was not open early enough for me to call before I left for work (work at a school so don't have access to calling at any time). I later called and transferred our 7 day Disney cruise to Costco (with no problems) and will get a g.c. for over $200 (don't know if I can post the exact amount so I'm not). I really prefer Costco. I've never had any problems with them but am sad to see I can't transfer to them anymore. If I wanted to book something the morning it comes available, Costco Travel is a 3 hour time difference. This is a disadvantage.

This is a new rule with Costco and maybe wasn't in effect 4 weeks ago. They can still accept transferred reservations but since they receive a lower commission tier the gift card $ is lower or non existent.

I was wondering about this. A few months ago I approached Costco about transfering my 2009 ressie to them - because I wanted the gift card too. I did this for our Europe Cruise last year and got a very nice sized gift card. When I contacted Costco about taking over my current ressie - they were not to interested - and they let me know that the gift card would be MUCH less than the prior one (under $100 rather than over $600 on a 7night caribbean vs 10 nite europe) - and that it would take at least 1/2 hour of time to process - so they would prefer it if I didn't.

The person on the phone probably just didn't want to deal with it or Costco itself doesn't want to deal with the transferred reservations any longer since they are making less $ on them then one booked directly through them. It only takes a couple of minutes to transfer the reservation.

MichelleB
10-06-2008, 01:10 AM
So, can I book while on a cruise and name Costco as the "agent"? If so, how do I do this?

cats mom
10-06-2008, 03:16 AM
So, can I book while on a cruise and name Costco as the "agent"? If so, how do I do this?

Yep, they usually ask if you have a TA you'd like to work with and I believe they can take care of all those details right then. That's not the kind of transferred ressie they're trying to stop.

In fact I had a situation similar to the one you posted above and I know mine was after the new rules went into effect. But my TA was still able to take over my ressie and get full commission (thus giving me a much nicer OBC) She wouldn't commit to that until she had clarified with DCL though. From what I understand, it was only possible because I had booked online and then hadn't touched the ressie since.

I think what they're trying to get away from is folks who book directly with DCL, then use DCL agents to get all the details set perfectly, and move the ressie to a TA just before final payment. (especially if getting all the details set involves multiple phone calls and/or lots of time)

I'm actually guilty of doing that myself in the past, although I don't feel too bad since I'm pretty low maintenance. ;) Getting all the details set took just one short phone call after the initial booking in my case. But I know some folks spend much more time on the phone with DCL getting things set.

Silly Little Pixie
10-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Yep, they usually ask if you have a TA you'd like to work with and I believe they can take care of all those details right then. That's not the kind of transferred ressie they're trying to stop.

In fact I had a situation similar to the one you posted above and I know mine was after the new rules went into effect. But my TA was still able to take over my ressie and get full commission (thus giving me a much nicer OBC) She wouldn't commit to that until she had clarified with DCL though. From what I understand, it was only possible because I had booked online and then hadn't touched the ressie since.

Okay, so if I rebook onboard, and name say DU as my TA- do I get the OBC for booking onboard from DCL, as well as whatever DU is offering for new bookings as well? I am definitely planning on rebooking, and would like to get OBC from both DCL and DU.

outlander
10-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Okay, so if I rebook onboard, and name say DU as my TA- do I get the OBC for booking onboard from DCL, as well as whatever DU is offering for new bookings as well? I am definitely planning on rebooking, and would like to get OBC from both DCL and DU.
I think you can get both but I'm not sure on the exact process. But more importantly.....I love your Princess Bride tag! I'm soooo jealous (in a good way!:thumbsup2 ) That's awesome!
I could trade lines from PB all day. Love that movie...classic.