PDA

View Full Version : Christmas 2008 Mischief Elf-capades

MattMatts-Momma
09-22-2008, 02:59 PM
Hi,

Can we start a new thread for people who will be doing the Mischief/Magic Elf for the first time and for people who have done the Elf-capades before.

This will be the first year of us doing this and hopefully it will become a new tradition for us.

I am a SAHM mom to DS5 and DD3, I think they will have a blast with the elves.

I found two elves last year at Marshalls after the Christmas holidays to use this year. I would have started this last year, but I didn't hear about this until it was too late in the season. I like to have a plan before I start something, and I just didn't have my plan ready last year.

I would love to see posts from others who have done this before.

What were your elves names?
How did they arrive at your house?
What mischief did they do while at your house?
Did they have any special things they brought with them?
When and how did they leave you on December 24th?

I know it is a little early for Christmas still, but this will give us all time to plan all of the above.

Please join in, this will be fun!!

Mischief Ideas (Under Construction..)

1. Raiding the underwear drawer and hanging underwear on the tree .
2. Making snow angels in flour.
3. Having storytime with all the animals.
4. Having snowball fights with cotton balls.

hmacmahony
09-22-2008, 03:29 PM
We had four elves last year (one for each child, and the elves looked like the kid...)
Off the top of my head the elves names were, weezy, joy, ellie, and I can't remember the boy elfs name.
They showed up on December 1, they were caught trying to sneak in the sliding doors on the deck, they had a christmas book, and advent calendar, and reindeer.
They had lots of mischeif, raiding the underware drawer to decorate the tree (which they also put up for daddy in the middle of the night!!), snow angels in the flour, storytime with all the animals, snowball fights (with cotton balls), and lots more.
This year, I am hoping they show up later in december,last year by the end of the month, I think they were getting tired, and running out of ideas.
Last year we left them with the cookies and milk to get a ride back with santa.
My kids are already talking about the elves (and I believe the head elf, in charge is planning already as well!!), and are in the process of writing letters to santa, they would like to request the same elves come visit them this year.

Also last year, I had picked up tons of christmas crafts, the elfs gave each of the kids a craft, or a small candy or something every night in their elf bags.
This year, I heard they are probably going to be splurging and getting us tickets to go see how the grinch stole christmas on broadway!
Last year I again picked up a TON of christmas crafts on clearance, so the elves will bring them again this year. I also found a site with passports, so we will have them this year. I will also find a nice chapter book they can bring (last year they brought "The best worst christmas pagent ever".

We had a ball, but 25 days was tiring last year..and we did run out of ideas...so, please would love to hear some more!
H

ybertrand
09-22-2008, 06:21 PM
We have one elf that both our boys share. I cannot remember his name now but the boys named him last year when he came. I mailed him to our house with a note from Santa. He came 12 days before Christmas. Every morning he was in a new place in the house and left them a small gift. There were strict "rules" about not touching the elf or he would loose all of his mly agic. He reported back to Santa every night to let him know if the boys were being good. On Christmas Eve morning he left a "bigger" gift than he had in the past - if I remember correctly it was Transformers. He also left a note saying he would return to the North Pole with Santa when he came to deliver their gifts but that he would be back next year as long as the boys wrote a letter and asked Santa to send him.

I like the idea of him creating mischief. I will have to do that this year.

Hope this helps.

CrAzY4DL
09-22-2008, 06:26 PM
I have never heard of this but I am now intrigued!!! Where do I find elves? I have 2 girls and this would be SOOOOOOOOOO much fun to do!!! Any and all help, advice and ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!!

WOW!!! That's all I can say. WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!

jenrein
09-22-2008, 06:27 PM
Am I the only person sitting here thinking what the heck??? I have never heard of such a thing...enlighten me!

sueh
09-22-2008, 06:48 PM
Am I the only person sitting here thinking what the heck??? I have never heard of such a thing...enlighten me!

No you are not the only one! I would love to know what this is about too!
It sounds like it could be fun.

Fletch3rd
09-22-2008, 07:45 PM
This will be our 4th year for our elves to visit. :santa: I ordered ours from elf-magic. I love for our elves to visit, but I think ours will come later in the month of December too. We are running out of ideas!

We have a new baby this year, so I will need to order her one soon. DS8 was just asking me today if I thought the elves would be coming again this year.

Ours are named, Kingsley, Lenny, and Webb. They usually bring several small gifts throughout the month. Last year they hid notes throughout the house giving us clues to where they were hiding. We found them in the freezer. I guess they missed the North Pole! :)

I'm looking forward to hearing some more good ideas here!

princess&her4princes
09-22-2008, 08:12 PM
This sounds SO cute! Please share the details, my boys (almost) 6, 3, and 1 would love this this year....although, we're going to WDW 12/7-14th, so it may be hard to do it this year? Any ideas would be great!!! Thank you!:santa:

Melissa
09-22-2008, 08:41 PM
This is so fun! Our elf is named Spencer he has his own My space page you can read about his adventures last year there. http://www.myspace.com/spencerelf

Spencer really made my dd's Christmas. He is best friends with another Shelf elf 'Sheppy" Who belongs to my neice.

Since Christmas Spencer got married and has had a "litter" as he says. He has a little elf son, Puckett who I suspect will be visiting with us this year too. I have lots of fun planned for this year but will have to post about that later.

TALB
09-22-2008, 10:23 PM
Ginger and Phillip showed up hanging out of our stockings the day after we sent our letters to Santa. They came with a note from Santa explaining they were there to monitor the kids behavior and report back to Santa every night. Every night before the kids go to bed they put the elves in their stockings to go back to the N. Pole. In the morning those sneaky elves have usually gone somewhere and been up to something. One morning we found them in the bathroom where they had squirted toothpaste in the shape of a Xmas tree on the sink and left new toothbrushes. They also were found in the cabinets inside new hot chocolate mugs. They have been found hiding in the xmas tree branches, wreath on the front door, refrig, dryer, and the dog kennel.,etc.. Sometimes they leave a little gift and other times they just leave a mess. They have been known to hide so good that it once took 3 days to find them!! They stayed at our house until Santa picked them up Xmas Eve. We sure hope they come back this year!!!!!,

ybertrand
09-22-2008, 11:38 PM
I ordered ours from elfontheshelf.com It comes with a story book as well.

LgTmDisFan
09-23-2008, 12:02 AM
Wow! what a great idea, this is the first I have heard about the elves, I love the this. I will definitly be sending them to my Grandkids, My daughters will love this. We love craft anyway:lmao: Yes really we are craft nuts. As I was reading on here I have thought of some things and would love to ad some of the thing other have planned.
1. for my grandson they Love legos, I thought I or my daughter could build a castle and cover it with cotton balls.
2. have them in the cookie jar holding a cookie when the come home from school.
3 Hiding a list for Santa of whats going on ( some things to make them laugh)
4.For our grand daughter 10 a tinker bell T or PJ stuffed in her pillow case the along with her elf,
5. Elf in there shoes again with making a bed.

Is this kind of the idea for the elf?:confused3

reginaastralis
09-23-2008, 12:07 AM
I wanted to do this last year, but I couldn't find an elf I liked.

Don't laugh ... the elfonashelf guy creeps me the heck out. I guess I have a fear of elves:confused3

Anyways, I am on the lookout for a great elf this year. I don't know, we are currently living with my parents (my three year old and I) as well as my ten year old sister. I wonder if 10 is "too old".

For the people asking, the elves come from Santa to watch your kids. But, they end up doing silly things. I know having someone in the house reporting back to Santa would keep my little one on track ... lol.

I figure we'll have at least one elf come visit this year ... and each day do something silly either before or after school. I am thinking of him also bringing her a Christmas book or movie each night ... to start a new tradition as well.

MattMatts-Momma
09-23-2008, 06:19 AM
I am going to start a list with everyone's ideas, that way all of the people doing this for the first time or ones who need new Ideas can look in one place.

I think we should have a good list of mischief by December.

ChristusG
09-23-2008, 07:38 AM
I found a plush Hermie the Elf....from Rudolph's Island of Misfit Toys. Actually, it is this one that I found on eBay, although that isn't where I purchased it http://cgi.ebay.com/RUDOLPH-ISLAND-OF-MISFITS-HERMEY-DENTIST-PLUSH-14-INCH_W0QQitemZ220272898034QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p 3286.m20.l1116. He's wearing a little elf hat and elf shoes. My 4 year old daughter loves him.

Our only "rule" is that the kids cannot carry him around. Because, of course, he's not a toy, he's a real elf that comes alive at night. He is found in a different place each morning. And he leaves and goes back with Santa in his sleigh on Christmas Eve night. He reports to Santa nightly on how the kids are acting.

The kids also have a little mailbox sitting by the fireplace. Each morning there's a small surprise inside. Although....I run out of ideas for that LOL! Especailly now that I have an 18 month old (will be 21 months at the beginning of December) that I'll have to include.

We never have the elf do mischevious things.....but that's a good idea! I might have to use some of these ideas some mornings.

jenrein
09-23-2008, 08:03 AM
This sounds adorable and thank you to those explaining to phenomenon! My question is- the first time it was introduced to your kids how the heck did you explain it to them? Now my kids are older, 8, 10 and 12 so I think it may be past the prime for our household, but it would be cute to try with the littlest one who still believes. The older 2 would play along I am sure....but how did you bring them into the house and how did you explain what was happening (especially without scaring the you know what out of them thinking there is an elf coming to life in their house while they sleep!)

hmacmahony
09-23-2008, 08:53 AM
Well, it was our first year last year, and I told the kids, that I talked to someone who adopted an elf to stay with them in december after they were done making toys. The elf would tell santa how they behaved, and maybe play tricks and things like that. And told them if they were good, and wrote santa a letter, maybe he would let them adopt an elf too. My kids were thrilled, and so excited! So, we wrote santa a letter, and adopted 4 elfs (one for each kid!!)
We got ours of elfmagic.com, they come with a cute letter explaining what they do, and how to take care of them (every night we had to give them water, and crackers....why? Because the water reminds them of the melting ice they drink, and the crackers remind them of the crackling ice in the north pole)
My kids were allowed to play with their elfs, they did not take them to bed wtih them, because they had to eat their dinner, and you also sprinkle snow (white paper punched out into little cirlces) on them, that makes them come to life at night.
We loved it, we took pictures everyday, and posted them for my family and friends to see, and everyone loved seeing the pictures. We even know of at least 3 more famlies that are adopting elfs this year, because we had so much fun last year.

I also did not like the elf on the shelf (from hallmark), he was scary,we really like the elfmagic elfs, they are cute,and come with lots of stuff. You can also order extra clothes, and a mug, and plate for them (elf sized). Plus, that site has lots of pictures and ideas of stuff to do.

I bet your big kids would love it too, even though they know the secret. My oldest is at that age where she is starting to question things, like easter, characters, etc....but she has never questioned the elf yet. For her, that is 100% real still (and it is, I would never make such a mess in my own house at night!!)

This sounds adorable and thank you to those explaining to phenomenon! My question is- the first time it was introduced to your kids how the heck did you explain it to them? Now my kids are older, 8, 10 and 12 so I think it may be past the prime for our household, but it would be cute to try with the littlest one who still believes. The older 2 would play along I am sure....but how did you bring them into the house and how did you explain what was happening (especially without scaring the you know what out of them thinking there is an elf coming to life in their house while they sleep!)

pjtm
09-23-2008, 09:19 AM
I love, love the elfs. Last year was our first and can't wait for this year!

Some highlights off the top of my head:

1) Elfs brought pancake christmas molds. Made a mess with the pancake mix on the counter. But Daddy cleaned it up and we had tree shaped pancakes that am

2) Elfs got out all the Little People Christmas things and set them up one night. Love to play with those

3) Elfs had a movie party one night - popcorn all over the couch! But we got to watch a new movie - Elf of course!!

4) Elfs brought us tickets to go to the muesum that day.

Oh, this is soooo much fun!! I need to start my list!

planningcrazymom
09-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Oh my gosh! this is such a great idea, looooove it. I am going to get my grandaughter an elf for this Christmas season. I love all the ideas that are coming in and I am taking notes.:goodvibes

kt_mom
09-23-2008, 10:54 AM
We did this for the first time last year. I told DD that she could write a letter to santa and see if he would send an elf to be her friend until Christmas. (I had already ordered it. I think it was from elfmagic.) So she wrote her note and left it by the Christmas tree and the next morning when she got up there he was waiting for her. She was so excited. She was allowed to play with him during the day but he had to stay downstairs at night.

I think our's was named Kingsly too. Anyway, every morning she found him somewhere silly like in the Christmas tree or up on the shelf on the reindeer statue or in the cookie jar or whatever. We didn't do gifts or anything. Then he went home Christmas Eve with Santa and she cried and cried. She was upset for weeks. She finally kind of forgot about him, so she will be very excited when it's time to write Santa again this year.

I like the ideas about the snowball fight with cotton balls and stuff. I was starting to run out of ideas last year.

jenrein
09-23-2008, 01:04 PM
Thank you! I think I am going to check these out- although my husband will probably cringe at the thought of one more wacko thing to do during my favorite time of year!!

Well, it was our first year last year, and I told the kids, that I talked to someone who adopted an elf to stay with them in december after they were done making toys. The elf would tell santa how they behaved, and maybe play tricks and things like that. And told them if they were good, and wrote santa a letter, maybe he would let them adopt an elf too. My kids were thrilled, and so excited! So, we wrote santa a letter, and adopted 4 elfs (one for each kid!!)
We got ours of elfmagic.com, they come with a cute letter explaining what they do, and how to take care of them (every night we had to give them water, and crackers....why? Because the water reminds them of the melting ice they drink, and the crackers remind them of the crackling ice in the north pole)
My kids were allowed to play with their elfs, they did not take them to bed wtih them, because they had to eat their dinner, and you also sprinkle snow (white paper punched out into little cirlces) on them, that makes them come to life at night.
We loved it, we took pictures everyday, and posted them for my family and friends to see, and everyone loved seeing the pictures. We even know of at least 3 more famlies that are adopting elfs this year, because we had so much fun last year.

I also did not like the elf on the shelf (from hallmark), he was scary,we really like the elfmagic elfs, they are cute,and come with lots of stuff. You can also order extra clothes, and a mug, and plate for them (elf sized). Plus, that site has lots of pictures and ideas of stuff to do.

I bet your big kids would love it too, even though they know the secret. My oldest is at that age where she is starting to question things, like easter, characters, etc....but she has never questioned the elf yet. For her, that is 100% real still (and it is, I would never make such a mess in my own house at night!!)

MattMatts-Momma
10-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Does anyone else have some Ideas we can add to our list of Elf Mischief?

I think since this is our first year of doing the elves at our house, I think I will wait and have the elves arrive 2 weeks before Christmas Eve. I think my kids will have a blast with this.

kellig
10-03-2008, 04:14 PM

The Elf on a Shelf "showed up" at our front door last year around December 1st along with a book. The book kind of answers some of the questions about how the elf "works." My DD was 6 last year and :love: it! I agree with a PP, he does look kind of scary, but I liked the idea of "one stop shopping" and went with the set.

Our elf did not create any mischief, but found some crazy places to hide. I will have to look into the mishcief and gifts for this year though.

piratemamaof3
10-31-2008, 11:47 AM
I know there is a similar thread on this running around b/c I posted in it but can't find it. :rotfl:

I am doing the happy dance :banana: :banana: won my first elf on e-bay last night. Have a bid on elf #2 so don't go and out bid me. LOL I am excited to start this this year. I am thinking of them showing up when my parents come Thanksgiving. Black Friday am only dad will be here w/ the boys so hopefully my parents will stay one more day and they can show up that Sat. AM.

I am trying to do mostly free idea. Elves won't show up w/ a bunch of gifts.Here are some ideas I had:
play play station
Dec. 1 arrive w/ new advent calendar
Watch Elf (or new movie if we get one) and have popcorn
Try to bake (snow angels in flower, burnt cookies)
Breakfast of spaghetti noodles and syrup
"snowball" cotton ball fight w/ webkinz
Reding new Christmas book to webkinz (they get new books each Dec)
set up the pirate castles battle
slide on banister
Decorate hallway w/ snowflakes or something (to feel more like home)
leave fast food wrappers on the table and be there w/ food
train track
play car tracks
Wrestle w/ wrestlers in ring
build w/ legos
trying to come up w/ some funny places to hide.
make a craft w/ my cricut (maybe leave a craft kit)
on Dec. 23 leave PJ's Santa will pick them up when he comes 12/24
type a letter to Santa on the PC

I am considering making them a Face book Page so we can leave messages or something.

I am going to use the idea from Night at the Museum. And Santa's letter will say that they come alive at night and to watch out b/c they can get into trouble discovering the human world and that they are there during the day to watch and see what the kids are doing b/c Santa is very busy the last month before Christmas. I will need to figure out the best place to have them sit duiring the days. Considering a notebook for the kids to interact w/ the elves and them back to the boys. My oldest has it figured out but still wants to belive. I think he will find it fun at least.

Mic_n_Min
10-31-2008, 01:31 PM
We had Vincent the Elf join us for fun last year. I ordered it from here: http://www.elf-magic.com/. My Aunt told the kids on Thanksgiving that she had heard that if you write Santa, he may let an Elf come visit until Christmas Eve. They wrote the letter that night and he showed up a few days after Thanksgiving and created mischief and left little gifts for the kids until Christmas Eve when he went back with Santa on the sleigh to the North Pole. I took pictures of all of his antics- if I get them posted somewhere, I will let you know!

dizneedoll
10-31-2008, 04:02 PM
This sounds so cute! My son is 2.5...do you think he is too young for this? At what ages did you guys start this tradition?

piratemamaof3
10-31-2008, 08:17 PM
This sounds so cute! My son is 2.5...do you think he is too young for this? At what ages did you guys start this tradition? depends on your kid I think. Some of mine at that age wouldn't have gotten any thing out of it. You can always introduct it on a small scale like the last 2 wks before Christmas.

chloe770
11-01-2008, 09:57 AM
I just ordered my elf ! I can't wait to do this! :banana: But.... I here the Elves like to toilet paper the Christmas tree :rolleyes1

piratemamaof3
11-01-2008, 06:24 PM
I have also heard that Elves like to put underware on the tree :rolleyes1

danilynn19
11-02-2008, 06:55 PM
This is too cute! OK let's brain storm! What else can this little elf do?:confused:

KristinU
11-02-2008, 07:28 PM
We started this last year - got most of the info off of www.organizedchristmas.com and ordered our elf from Amazon. C.C. Mintenstollen is our elf's name (C.C. for Candy Cane)

Just a word of caution - make sure that from the get-go your children know that Santa will be picking up the elves when he somes on Christmas eve and talk about it often. Even though my DS was aware of this the whole time he still had a hard time saying goodbye to C.C. last year - to the point that he his him on us a day or two before Christmas! We did find him after about 30 minutes of searching, but it was pretty funny and a little sad.

Someone asked about age - last year DS liked him, but just "kind of" got some of the mischief (DS was 4 in January)...this year I think he'll get it a whole lot more - his sense of humor has really blossomed over the past few months. Last year C.C. put DS's underwear all over the tree one day - which was funny but not hilarious, this year if he does the same thing I know DS will just bust a gut!

disneydreamer1970
11-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Last year was our first year with "Patches" the elf. My mom made him and he is awesome! He caused lots of mischief in the house but also brought little gifts, such as a new sled after the first snow storm of the season. Some of the things he did was:

hang DD's underwear on the Christmas tree (she was mortified):rotfl2:
TP'd the entire downstairs of the house
hid in the refrigerator after drinking all of the milk
ate all of the brownies that were made
made cookies and played in the flower
read a story to DD's webkinz
he was caught riding DD's bike in the house
watched movies and ate popcorn

and DH's favorite....Patches drove to McDonald's to get a happy meal and then parked my new truck very crooked on the front lawn in front of the stairs and fell asleep!! DD found him the next morning in the front of my truck with the Happy Meal bag, etc. around him!! :laughing:

I know that he did lots more, and we cannot wait for his return this year!! I can't decide if he will arrive on Thanksgiving or on December 1st.

Trish

iheartdisney
11-03-2008, 02:31 PM
This is such a cute idea! I can't wait to start!
Last trip to WDW their favorite part of the day was coming back to the room to see what ther Webkinz were up to (we had a very creative mousekeeper) So i KNOW they will be super-into a shelf elf!
I think I'm going to talk to my brother, since we are all doing Thanksgiving at his place, and maybe we can have a herd of elves land for all of the families...

lilybrooke14
11-03-2008, 02:54 PM
Huh, and here I had given my sister credit for being so creative. ;)

Our elf is actually the same elf that used to visit my niece when she was a little girl. His name is Nathaniel, and he's invisible. This is the first year he's coming to visit. I'm pretty sure that DD is too little to get it (2 1/2) but he'll be here anyway. I love the ideas on here though. Pancake flour on the counter is definately going to have to take place!

cindy0519
11-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Our grandson's elf (grandson lives with us so we had lots of fun too) - Jingles arrived under the Christmas tree last year the second week in December. He had a small bag that contained a note from Santa explaining why he was here, that he could be a "little mischieveous", and that he would return to the North Pole on Christmas Eve. DGS was to place him under the tree each night so he could return to the North Pole. Once DGS left for school we "hid" him until his next adventure.

He did many of the same things already mentioned but some of other ideas we used:

--he brought "snow" (spray on snow in the can) back from the North Pole and wrote how many days were left until Christmas on the kitchen box bay window.
-- he ate a whole box of cereal and used all the milk
-- he fell asleep in the pack and play
-- he dressed up a Shrek (build a bear costume). We thought this was clever
however this did not go over well, this actually brought DGS to tears
-- he left a trail of "snow" and fell asleep on the ceiling fan
-- he removed most of the ornaments from the tree before falling asleep in
the branches
-- he hid in the DGS's backpack for school and left a note asking if it was ok with the teacher if he went to school
-- he sat in the rocking chair in front of the tv and play wii with stuffed animals

Since Christmas Jingles has returned for the day on at Valentines Day, a birthday and Easter. He also sent a letter and picture from his vacation in Hawaii (DH & I took him with us to Hawaii and took a picture of him on the beach). He is going to send a "can't wait to see you note in the next week or so". DGS is asking about him and anxious for him to return.

We are going to Disney Dec 9 to 16 and thinking that he might "arrive" at Disney. The challenge to this is no messes! Anyone have any ideas for a poorly behaved elf at Disney???

cindy0519
11-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Opps duplicate post - sorry

dezimber
11-03-2008, 11:16 PM
Our grandson's elf (grandson lives with us so we had lots of fun too) - Jingles arrived under the Christmas tree last year the second week in December. He had a small bag that contained a note from Santa explaining why he was here, that he could be a "little mischieveous", and that he would return to the North Pole on Christmas Eve. DGS was to place him under the tree each night so he could return to the North Pole. Once DGS left for school we "hid" him until his next adventure.

He did many of the same things already mentioned but some of other ideas we used:

--he brought "snow" (spray on snow in the can) back from the North Pole and wrote how many days were left until Christmas on the kitchen box bay window.
-- he ate a whole box of cereal and used all the milk
-- he fell asleep in the pack and play
-- he dressed up a Shrek (build a bear costume). We thought this was clever
however this did not go over well, this actually brought DGS to tears
-- he left a trail of "snow" and fell asleep on the ceiling fan
-- he removed most of the ornaments from the tree before falling asleep in
the branches
-- he hid in the DGS's backpack for school and left a note asking if it was ok with the teacher if he went to school
-- he sat in the rocking chair in front of the tv and play wii with stuffed animals

Since Christmas Jingles has returned for the day on at Valentines Day, a birthday and Easter. He also sent a letter and picture from his vacation in Hawaii (DH & I took him with us to Hawaii and took a picture of him on the beach). He is going to send a "can't wait to see you note in the next week or so". DGS is asking about him and anxious for him to return.

We are going to Disney Dec 9 to 16 and thinking that he might "arrive" at Disney. The challenge to this is no messes! Anyone have any ideas for a poorly behaved elf at Disney???

Here are a few ideas:
1.) Hang everyones shoes in the closet using curling ribbon.
2.) Gift wrap grandson's clothes
3.) Make foil animals, pipe cleaner ornaments, color a picture in child's coloring book.
4.) Jingles can have storytime with Disney friends.
5.) Go sledding down a mountain of dirty clothes.
6.) Go fishing in the sink or tub.
7.) Get money from wallet for a midnight snack. Leave wallet with money partially hanging out and change on the table along with snack evidance. Maybe write a note with food smudges in it.
8.) Post-It notes stuck all over the place.

Princess Pudding Pop
11-04-2008, 12:14 AM
I didnt buy a elf, but I wrote letters to my cousins daughter his name is Alabaster Minstix who is the Administrator of the Naughty & Nice list
Head Elf

I came up with a story that he is in contact with her favorite stuffed animal who has been worried sick about her owners actions lol..

I would send Notices and Decrees to there house. She totally bought it, and would cry everytime a letter came into the house she couldnt find the spy.. It was great, my cousin said she was so good lol.

Jajone
11-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Has anyone had any luck buying an elf from somewhere other than the official websites? Those prices are a lot for us. I would like to pay less than 10 for an elf.

cindy0519
11-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the ideas Dezimber! These ideas are great, we will only be at Disney for a week so maybe the littel rascal can "behave" for a week and not make any messes...LOL.

I found these elfs on Amazon...not $10 but only slightly more at $14.00. They appear to be a steal compared to the nearly $30 for others:

Boy Elf: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LLJSDS?tag=getorganiwiththe&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=B000LLJSDS&adid=0Q1KF90Y1XAET7NTXQ7Z&

Girl Elf: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LLL6QA?tag=getorganiwiththe&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=B000LLL6QA&adid=066H8F7MCDY8ZJEK0PQ7&

They do both show up as "in stock". Good Luck!

iheartdisney
11-04-2008, 02:23 PM
Has anyone had any luck buying an elf from somewhere other than the official websites? Those prices are a lot for us. I would like to pay less than 10 for an elf.

I was at Bulid-a-Bear this weekend for a party. They had a super-cute elf costume, so I was thinking of putting one of our stuffed animals to work for the season.
The costume was around $10...

KristinU
11-04-2008, 03:18 PM

Not $10, but for $14 you can get one from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Plush-Santas-Secret-Elf-Boy/dp/B000LLJSDS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1225831132&sr=8-1
This is the little guy we bought last year.

There's a girl one too:
http://www.amazon.com/Plush-Santas-Secret-Elf-Girl/dp/B000LLL6QA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1225831132&sr=8-2

DS just wrote a letter to C.C. (our elf) last night asking him to come back. Too cute!

kldmom2000
11-04-2008, 04:27 PM
Not $10, but for $14 you can get one from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Plush-Santas-Secret-Elf-Boy/dp/B000LLJSDS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1225831132&sr=8-1
This is the little guy we bought last year.

There's a girl one too:
http://www.amazon.com/Plush-Santas-Secret-Elf-Girl/dp/B000LLL6QA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1225831132&sr=8-2

DS just wrote a letter to C.C. (our elf) last night asking him to come back. Too cute!

I ended up ordering the boy one Saturday night....Can't wait to do this!!!! :)

mickimousemama
11-04-2008, 05:04 PM
There is a thread on the Budget boards about places to find elves

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1990359

Here is a list that i have compiled of elfcapades for our elf this year.

Attempting to baking cookies and making a mess playing in the ingredients… in Kid’s kitchen?
decorate a room for a different holiday (like putting up Halloween decorations or something or something from another country)
Leave presents every so often
pictures of the elves causing mischief
candy canes will be hung everywhere one night
paper chain will be made by elves
He will set up the Train and be riding it when we wake up
A kindness box....just an empty decorated box for the kids to fill with notes. As they "catch" others being kind they will write it down and put it in the box. We will read them all Christmas Eve.
elves decorate the kid’s rooms while they are sleeping
leave some money boots lying around http://members.cox.net/crandall11/money/boots/
Make colored glass with a note for the kids to play with it http://hurrayic.blogspot.com/2008/02/colored-glass-tutorial-for-kids.html
Snowflakes and peppermints hang everywhere to make it feel more like home.
Elves leave a foam North Pole (Santa’s House) Kit Project with instructions for kids to make him his own house for his visit.
Elves are found in the tree with our camera on the tripod. When downloaded we’ll see that they took pictures of themselves goofing off!
They are found watching a new Christmas movie (I will have one wrapped that they will find under the tree and they will open it) and eating popcorn
Elves make breakfast. Red & green pancakes (green pancakes with strawberry topping with a little snow (whipped cream) on top. Red juice, green eggs, etc.)
Leave Kids the “Elf” movie to watch throughout the year to remind them of our Elves
Leave Hot Cocoa and a Christmas Music CD with instructions for an evening stroll to see Christmas Decorations
Bring ingredients to make Christmas Play dough (recipes below)
Bring Christmas PJ’s on December 23rd for kids to find Christmas Eve Morning.
Make a mess out of Christmas Lights
Empty out Change Jar and “Hide” in the snow man jar… I always wondered what it was like to be a Snowman
Have him bring a build a snowman kit (box with hat, gloves, scarf, eyes, nose ect)
Set Sail as a Christmas Pirates
Dress up in Camouflage and play with hunter dan and other toys
Found sleeping in the Wreath
Instructions to go get Elfed online www.elfyourself.com
Ice cream sundaes in medicine cups.
Play cards with some of the kids’ toys
Play Fargo with some of the kids’ toys (aka Farkle/farkel)
Paint an ornament for each of the kids, leaving a mess of supplies for them to paint some too.
Found playing Christmas games on the internet
Found Reading our Christmas Cards
Found working on his scrapbook after returning home from the Snowball Formal Dance
Snowball fight (with pom-poms or cotton balls)
Hiding in the freezer because its nice and cold in there like back home at the NP
Play dress up in our stuff
Trying to ski down a mound of ???
Found visiting the kids’ myspace/websites online
Caught peaking in presents under the tree
Redecorate the Christmas tree with the kids’ underwear
Hiding in the tree
Coloring Christmas Pictures
Taking a marshmallow bath
Snooping over at the neighbors.
Get into the Egg Nog
Decorate the Christmas Tree with underwear
Found working on his myspace online.
Send kids on a scavenger hunt
Found sleeping in the freezer
Make smores over candles
Make Christmas Designs from toothpaste on bathroom counter
Hide in new mugs in cupboard for Hot Cocoa

Our family has one elf that comes to visit, I am also making them for my neices and nephews and will be mailing them off the week before Thanksgiving :) I am making my own elves, found a pattern online for $1.50 I have been busy with Halloween and have only gotten one elf made so far, but will be finishing the rest this week if my kids aren't sick and go to bed so I can work LOL.
Here is my bnot quite finished El, Skeeter
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/momiilu/Christmas/2008/EOAS/10-28-08002.jpg he has a myspace started but no pictures up yet :) www.myspace.com/elfskeeter

disneyfan4u
11-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Me too!

I have never heard of this but I am now intrigued!!! Where do I find elves? I have 2 girls and this would be SOOOOOOOOOO much fun to do!!! Any and all help, advice and ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!!

WOW!!! That's all I can say. WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!

charlottie
11-06-2008, 11:08 AM

I'm totally with you on elf-magic...I was looking for more ideas, because i'm used to going to elf-magic's website and looking at their adventures...they are in the process of updating with tons more ideas....(I called and asked) they have great customer service....keep up the great ideas, I'll be checking back...the one my Dsons liked best last year was when the elves took off in the remote control jeep, one had the remote in his hand and the other was driving...too cute!

TroyE
11-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Elves are magical!!!:banana:

piratemamaof3
11-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Just had to share I am doing the happy dance. :banana: :banana: I know not every one likes the Annalee b/c they are a bit creepy in the face but I like the ability to bend the arms and legs. I won one on e-bay but didn't want to spend too much money on them. So I found one today at Marshalls and one at TJ Max. Paid only $8 for each of them (my e-bay one w/ shipping was around $12). So now I have my elf family. Got to get my letter figured out for when they arive and how I want the "elf rules" to work this year. (IE if/how they communicate, can you play w/ them...)

Mic_n_Min
11-09-2008, 10:20 AM
For those of you who travel during the holiday season- does your Elf travel with you? We are going to Disney as a family in December and not sure what to do with Vincent while we are gone. I have thought about asking the kids to write Santa to ask if he can visit their Grammy and keep an eye on her. My mom is a good sport and would love to help us out, so I know that wouldn't be a problem- she'd even take photos for us of what he was up to while we were gone. I just can't imagine bringing him on vacation with us and keeping up with his silliness staying in a hotel together.

Anyone have any advice?

MNFootballMommy
11-10-2008, 10:02 PM
I've heard of people taking them on their trips, but I don't think I would. Too much work! Going to Grandma's is a good idea. Or maybe Santa could 'conveniently' need him back at the North Pole for an elf emergency. Hey, it could happen!

Of course, another idea would be to leave Vincent at home to take care of the house (with plenty of food and water, of course!) then run back into the house before you leave (you forgot something, etc.) and stage a party or something fun for the kids to come home to, although you don't want to come home to a big mess either!

BTW--We ordered from Elf-Magic and "Missy" arrived today! :banana:

MaidMarian
11-10-2008, 10:33 PM
Our elf went with us to Disney last year. We did simple things like having him watching TV with the remote in hand, coloring in a coloring book, made a snowman out of shaving cream by the sink, tp the bathroom, (we always cleaned up before we left the room) and he brought a few small gifts. My daughter would have missed him too much if we left him home

Kit'smommy
11-11-2008, 08:22 AM
Our elf is the Elf on a Shelf and he is appropriately named "Snitch." He comes to life when we are not around or when we are asleep. Every day he can be found in a different location. We have a rule that he cannot be touched by a child.

He doesn't do anything questionable around the house such as TPing anything or making any kind of mess. We feel he is there to report back on the child's mischief, non cause his own.

However, he has occasionally been known to pick up toys left out at night and hide them until the child does something nice for someone else. After a good deed is performed, he leaves a note disclosing their location.

He has also been known to bake cookies and leave them on the counter during the day (don't forget to smudge flour on the elf) and to put the tree in the stand in the middle of the night.

He has his very own hotmail account and we sometimes get cc'ed on reports back to Santa (who also has his own hotmail account). The one time we caught the elf doing something bad (he got caught by the cookies with a partially eaten one and a half drunk juice box), he left us a note apologizing for not asking first and let Santa know he had been naughty via one of his email reports.

He also made Kit's bed one day while we were gone (and was caught napping in it) and was caught outside trimming one of the shrubs (we have great neighbors). He also left occasional tiny treats such as markers and candy on days when Kit was really good or did something especially well.

This year, he is arriving the Friday after Thanksgiving in a priority box with air holes. He will leave with Santa on Christmas eve.

Jajone
11-17-2008, 05:23 PM
The elves I ordered from Amazon arrived today are are very cute! I'm ecited to start this tradition. I also found elf ornaments to give the kids. St. Nick brings an ornament every year that is significant to something that happened throughout the year. this year it will be leves to remember their "elves" once they are gone. I already have the movie "elf" planned. I found cheap little xmas trees/ornaments that elves will decorate and put in their room at night. That is just to start.

MNFootballMommy
11-17-2008, 05:51 PM
I took a spare calendar and jotted down activities for each day that Missy the Elf is here. Things can be moved around, but at least I have a general guideline to follow. With the craziness that Christmas brings, every little bit of organizations helps. :surfweb:

jenlynn0808
11-18-2008, 07:56 PM
Carleton Card has a Elf on a shelf and a book bundle regularly $40, on sale for $20 (at least the one here did).

I was talking to one of the salespeople and mentioned that I had never heard of this tradition before reading it here. She said she discovered it last year and picked one up after X-mas to try this year, but she got less then 50% off of it then. :thumbsup2

doodlesmommy
11-18-2008, 08:18 PM
Oh I'm so excited to start the reindeer games at our house. This will make a fun tradition. I'm ordering mine now. I'll have to go with the calendar idea so I can keep up with all of these antics. :thumbsup2

sadiebug
11-18-2008, 11:47 PM
At Marshall's!!

For $5.99!!!! :banana: :banana:

It is identical to the 11" Plush Santas Secret Elf Boy listed on Amazon for $14.00 Only difference is the one from Marshall's was meant to be a gift card holder - but I can fix that!

He's really cute - and they had girl elves too. They were back in the toy section with the stuffed animals.

Yay!!!

J&ADisneyMom
11-19-2008, 02:47 PM
We have had Piper and Tessa for a few years. I'll try to add a few ideas that I didn't see listed but I may duplicate. We are cruising this week end and our elves will be showing up on the ship. While there, they will

1. Order room service
2. Toilet Paper the room
3. Leave an advent calender and temp tattoos
4. Take lots of pictures and will later use them to make a cocoa mug with the pictures on them.

In the past, they have

1. made a zipline from the Christmas tree across the livingroom with fishing line and a straw.
2. hung dozens of hand cut snowflakes across the livingroom ceiling, again hung on fishing line. the down side was the mess left behind.
3. written elf jokes on all the windows, doors and mirrors with window markers.
4. had a tea party with the Barbies.
5. made a hot wheels parade through the house.
6. always leaves pj's for Christmas Eve.
7. plays go fish with stuffed animals
8. went to school in DS's lunch box.
9. painted Dh's toe nails in his sleep
10. used my digital camera and took pictures of themselves next to all of us as we slept.
11. Turned the toilet water green.
12. Got out all of the Christmas books to read.
13. left a gingerbread house kit.
14. leaves little gifts like slinky's, straws, and pens.
15. Built snowmen out of playdoh.

My kids are 5 and 7 and LOVE this time of year. They can't wait til the elves arrive again!! Have fun.

Shell

CinRell
11-19-2008, 03:24 PM
I learned about this too late last year too but this year found Jingle at Marshall's.. he's an annalee elf.. he was only $7.99!

I'd gotten one that looks just like elf on a shelf from ebay for .99 but Jingle bends and poses and is too perfect!

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u262/cindyrelly1975/1111081356b.jpg

Anyway, next week my niece and nephew who visit 3 times a week will get an envelope from santa in the mail with a book (made in publisher) about how Santa chooses his magical messenger elves. Jingle almost didn't get chosen but then we find out that santa was saving his favorite elf for his favorite little ones, and I put a pic of my niece and nephew in. The end tells them to watch because soon Jingle will be there!

Jingle will arrive with a note and when they come stay at my house, there will be a little gift and antics. Xmas is at their house so I will bring Jingle so they can put him with the cookies to leave for Santa to take him home. Jingle might leave a little last something for the morning.

I can't wait for this!

luvmy3jewels
11-19-2008, 03:43 PM
This year will be our first year with an elf. I just hope my kids are young enough to enjoy him (4, 6 & 8). I've enjoyed reading everyones posts and getting ideas for the mischef he will make at our house. We are going on a cruise the week before Christmas and I'm planning on having him stow away in one of the kids' suitcases.

SalandJeff
11-20-2008, 12:27 AM
This is the first time I have ever heard of this tradition! Sounds like so much fun. DD will love it.

Silly question...if the elf is there to report back to Santa on behavior, how do you explain the really mischievous things he does (like TP all over the living room!)??? I can just imagine my kiddo thinking it's now okay to do this.

At Marshall's!!
For $5.99!!!! :banana: :banana:
It is identical to the 11" Plush Santas Secret Elf Boy listed on Amazon for $14.00 Only difference is the one from Marshall's was meant to be a gift card holder - but I can fix that!
He's really cute - and they had girl elves too. They were back in the toy section with the stuffed animals.
Yay!!!

Thanks for this info. Off to Marshalls tomorrow.

MNFootballMommy
11-20-2008, 08:02 AM
I *think* the thought process is that the elf isn't really aware that s/he is causing trouble because things are so different here from the North Pole. That being said, I'm with you--our elf won't be causing much trouble. WAY too much work for me! ;)

Instead, our elf will be 'exploring' our house, items, etc. She'll read our "I Spy" books, play in the presents, ride the C-mas train, measure DD's stocking (head first!), etc. I think my DD3 is a little young to 'appreciate' the elf tp-ing the house--and I'm too OLD to appreciate it! ;)

I am SURE your elf can cater his/her activities to accomodate your family! Have fun! :banana:

3mickeymom
11-20-2008, 08:37 AM
I think our elves will be pretty well behaved as well. I don't want to give kids any ideas!! Our elves will just leave the normal messes that come from having fun -like sugar on the counter after making cookies or toys laying around after play.

MMmomto5
11-20-2008, 06:15 PM
I just got our elf today and I can't wait to share him with the kids. My two oldest kids probably won't be too into it(although they may surprise me), but I know my youngest 3 will love this. I ordered our elf from imaginatives.com and he is so cute. It wasn't budget, but I liked the story and the elf better than the elf on a shelf book and elf. I'll be watching this thread closely for ideas, and hopefully, I'll have some to share too.

Princess Pudding Pop
11-20-2008, 11:39 PM
here is my letter i have the perfect font for this

NOTICE

Recently I just received notice in the North Pole that there was a family in dire need to have a elf watch over their daughter, and to make sure she stayed on the Nice list. It is the utmost importance to keep her name from being erased from the man up north by Christmas Eve.
I hereby have been posted at a young girl named Celeste . Who I shall report her misdoings and deeds to Santa every night up to Christmas eve. I shall not be seen walking through out the house taking notes, I will be talking with her mysterious friend Miss Bunny; her letter was heart wrenching and covered in many teardrops I knew at once where I needed to be.
Sugarplum Mary has been posted at her school to keep an eye out there also.

most Sincerely,
Alabaster Minstix
Administrator of the Naughty & Nice list
Head Elf

prncess674
11-22-2008, 08:32 AM
here is my letter i have the perfect font for this

NOTICE

Recently I just received notice in the North Pole that there was a family in dire need to have a elf watch over their daughter, and to make sure she stayed on the Nice list. It is the utmost importance to keep her name from being erased from the man up north by Christmas Eve.
I hereby have been posted at a young girl named Celeste . Who I shall report her misdoings and deeds to Santa every night up to Christmas eve. I shall not be seen walking through out the house taking notes, I will be talking with her mysterious friend Miss Bunny; her letter was heart wrenching and covered in many teardrops I knew at once where I needed to be.
Sugarplum Mary has been posted at her school to keep an eye out there also.

most Sincerely,
Alabaster Minstix
Administrator of the Naughty & Nice list
Head ElfI have read about all the other elves people are putting out for the kids. The other elves sound like fun and are sometimes michevious. If Santa were to send your mean snitchy elf I would tell him to take him back! What child would look forward to having this snitch in their house around the holidays?

SalandJeff
11-22-2008, 10:19 AM
I got my elf last night at Marshalls (thanks sadiebug!) He is very cute and only $5.99. The annalee ones would be good because you can pose them, but the faces scare me :scared1:

I can't wait to do this. I think he will arrive on December 1.

piratemamaof3
11-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Time is almost here. Every one ready for the elf visits?
This is the first year for us. On the day before Thanksgiving the boys will each get a letter in the mail about some elf brothers that are coming to stay w/ us during the busy holiday. Havn't gotten the exact letter yet. They might be intraining might just need a play to stay out of trouble and not mess up what their parents are making. And that Santa will pick them up on the 24th. LOL
They will show up in a basket on the front porch on black Friday sometime. With thier notebook to interact w/ the kids. (or take notes). We have Charles Garland (Charlie), Fle Candy Cane (elf spelled backwards and he has red striped pants) and Jingle Jangle (JJ). They are the annalee elves.

I have a list of things for them to do but nothing to huge or messy. play games, hand underware on the tree, bring a treat, read new book, watch Elf on TV, fix breakfast, hand from the fan...

yummy-mummy-amy
11-25-2008, 07:29 AM
hi,

thanks for this thread. my husband now thinks i have lost the plot with christmas even more than usual! i am the biggest kid in the house from dec 1st. and it's not the kids up at 2am wanting to open stockings.....it's me!

my elf is being sent to me as i type, (Well the lady emaiiled me and said would post today), the bells are here on my desk for its hat and shoes. the main question i have is where do you come up with the names? is itjust a name that pops into your head or from a site etc?

amy

tink2
11-25-2008, 08:10 AM
This is my first year doing this and I am excited! My kids are dd9 and ds7. I wondered if they'd even be interested, so I told them that I heard that you could write a letter to Santa and ask him for an elf to come live at our houses until Chrismtas Eve. They both fell hook, line, and sinker! DD9 is very gullable. DD7 wasn't so sure at first b/c I told them that he reports to Santa every night and he is worried about him actually telling Santa when he misbehaves. DD9 told him that Santa knows anyway. They are both anxiously waiting to see if Santa sends an elf. I ordered an Annalee elf from Annalee gallery. I was worried about the face, but the lady on the phone was very nice and understood what I was saying. She requested the warehouse send one that had a happy and nice face for young children. He is very cute! Jingles will appear in our living room Friday morning before we all wake up. I can't wait!!!
I think Jingles will be pretty well-behaved, not doing major messes....
Dh and I are thrilled b/c we know we don't have but a year or two of magic left with the 9 year old!

labdogs42
11-25-2008, 08:19 AM
I just spotted this thread and I have to go back and read the first five pages, but I wanted to jump in and say I have my elf and I"m ready to try this this year! I can't wait to see all the great ideas and share mine, too (if I come up with any!). We'll be away for T'giving weekend, so I'm thinking maybe I'll start the elf stuff the next weekend. I can't wait!

labdogs42
11-25-2008, 08:23 AM
I wanted to do this last year, but I couldn't find an elf I liked.

Don't laugh ... the elfonashelf guy creeps me the heck out. I guess I have a fear of elves:confused3

I didn't like those either, so I got mine from http://www.elf-magic.com/

yummy-mummy-amy
11-25-2008, 08:29 AM
my elf isnt really an elf but a dwarf from snow white! i found a really lovely 1 on amzon but only in USA and they couldnt get it shipped to me b4 17dec, i will get 1 4 next year if all goes ok.

i intend putting bells on dwarfs hat and feet and some xmas ribbon round his hat and possibly his belt.

my 3yr old has been asking daily if santa got his letter asking for an elf, my 6yr old isnt too sure on the idea, BUT he wants to adopt a reindeer!!! (LOL!). i told him we dont have a big enough house/garden.

yummy-mummy-amy
11-25-2008, 10:52 AM
someone said a few pages back about a complete list of ideas, i have taken the 1s from this thread but is there another list somewhere? the link from the organised christmas site doesnt work.

Mic_n_Min
11-25-2008, 11:10 AM
Thank you for the suggestions about what to do with Vincent while we are in Disney. I think he'll be invited up to Grammy's house for a vacation of his own. My mom will have so much fun with him, it should work out great!

By the way, elf-magic.com has updated their site with what their elves have been up to: http://www.elf-magic.com/ideas.htm

piratemamaof3
11-25-2008, 03:32 PM
hi,
the main question i have is where do you come up with the names? is itjust a name that pops into your head or from a site etc?

I have read a lot of names, googled Elf names (mostly came up w/ mythical elves like in lord of the rings), asked the boys what a elf name would be and eventually came up w/ my own thanks to some help from DH

We have Charlie Garland Christmas (Charlie from DS9, Garland being a Christmas name and they all have the last name of Christmas)

Fle Candycane (Fle is Elf backwards, thanks DH, and he has red striped pants)

Jingle Jangle (like in the `classic Christmas movies)

Some have christmas names (Snow, Hollie, Twinkle...) some traditional people name some off the wall. If you search Elf sights some peopole have posted thier elves and the names for them.

CandCMommy
11-25-2008, 09:44 PM
Whoo hoo, I just picked up my elf at Ross Dress for Less. Alot cheaper than the ones on the internet but I have to admit the face is a little scary looking. :eek: Oh well, since it's poseable it will work great! If not, maybe it will scare the kids into being good! :scared:

Now we just have to come up with a good name for our little elfy! :idea:

yummy-mummy-amy
11-27-2008, 02:05 PM
hi,

i have bought a book which i have labeled "elf journal" i intend to write it as a diary type thing with photos, have any of you done this? if so what have yo added etc?

yummy-mummy-amy
11-30-2008, 05:51 AM
so has everyones elf arrived yet or are they arriving tomorrow like mine is? i cant wait!!! my eldest has announced that he wants to adopt a reindeer!!! LOL! we will see if i can get 1 to magically appear b4 xmas eve.

my elfs 1st mission apart from bringing advent calenders is to put xmas tree and decs up whilst kids are at playschool/school tomorrow.

chloe770
11-30-2008, 07:35 AM
Ours is arriving tomorrow also. But, I'm so unprepared.:eek: I have know idea what our elf will do first. Guess I will just figure it out as we go.:confused3 I did pick up a cute stocking at Walmart yesterday that says Santa's Helper. Our Elf will be arriving in that.:thumbsup2

lawlesslovewdw
11-30-2008, 04:54 PM
Thank you for letting us know about this US tradition, i have orderd 2 elves for our boys. We will write the letters on the plane tomorrow and they should arrive at resort in 3 days.
I cant wait to tell the boys about it and I am going to get them to keep a diary so they can tell all their school friends and teachers about it when we get back in the new year:hug:

CTtwins
11-30-2008, 10:24 PM
We're also ready to go for tomorrow, Dec 1st!

I'm sitting here typing up Santa's letter to the kids... I'm still not 100% sure what it will say! LOL - can you say last minute!! I'm so excited.. this is going to be lots of fun! :)

I found some cheap cute elves at Marshalls also... very simple and perfect - 2 boys and 1 girl! Just right for our family.

I have just found some other super cute ones on the web at www.elfingaround.com (sorry if someone already posted that!). They appear to be able to sit and stand.. that's pretty nice! But, I am glad I didn't spend that money. With 3 kids it would just be too much. Perhaps if you only need to buy one..?

I'm working on their names.. and they will arrive in the kids stockings tomorrow morning.

Good luck and fun to all...!

ColleenG
11-30-2008, 11:51 PM
I just ordered our elf. I had never heard of this and it sounds like so much fun. DH thinks I'm totally weird, but I love this kind of stuff and hope the kids have fun with it too. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone's elves get into. I love the underwear on the tree.

Stacieb
12-01-2008, 12:39 AM
I just ordered 1 for my girls and 1 for my nephew as a surprise! i'm also sending my nephew and dd's a coloring page of an elf in a box. I didn't add anything in the letter. The letter will come before the box. My brother is going to go nuts figuring out who sent it.
Then next week, I will send cotton balls so the elf can have a snowball fight, I plan on making a sleeping bag for him too!Then I will send that with a note " saying I need to good place to sleep each night" or something like that.

I love this stuff! DH doesn't even know. He will think I really flew off the deep end! LOL!

yummy-mummy-amy
12-01-2008, 07:57 AM
"bertie" arrived this morning armed with advent calenders and the rest of his stuff - journal, passport, sleeping bag and "magic snow bag" (polystyrene balls and hole punched paper sealed in abag to keep him cold at night), and elf reports.

the kids were over the moon especially 3yr old who asked santa for 1!

after they had gone to school bertie started his magic and put the xmas tree and decs up, he did have a slight accident and is now hanging upside down in tree with baubles all over him, little 1 wont let me "help" bertie as his brother is still at school and needs to see him!

my husband thinks i have totally lost my marbles, but he knows what i'm like at xmas! so glad i found this idea. i have told mine 2 that bertie has to go in his sleeping bag near the xmas tree every night.

ChristusG
12-01-2008, 08:17 AM
Hermie is here! He's sitting in the branches of the Christmas tree holding a note rolled up like a little scroll and tied with some red string. It explains that he's watching the kids to see if they are good, that Santa will be back to get him on Christmas Eve, and that sometimes he likes to get into things but that Santa hopes he does not cause too much trouble. He brought with him the Playmobil Advent Calendar.

Just waiting on my four year old to wake up and notice him!

CinRell
12-01-2008, 08:47 AM
Hermie is here! He's sitting in the branches of the Christmas tree holding a note rolled up like a little scroll and tied with some red string. It explains that he's watching the kids to see if they are good, that Santa will be back to get him on Christmas Eve, and that sometimes he likes to get into things but that Santa hopes he does not cause too much trouble. He brought with him the Playmobil Advent Calendar.

Just waiting on my four year old to wake up and notice him!

I really want to get one of these Playmobile Advent Calendars but it's already the first so ordering it online would take too long.. where did you buy yours?? THANK YOU!

chloe770
12-02-2008, 01:57 PM
Our elf (Compton) arrived yesterday and last night he decided to check out DS's Pokemon cards.

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u353/mason1208_photos/IMG_0676.jpg http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u353/mason1208_photos/IMG_0675.jpg

jeepgirl30
12-02-2008, 02:20 PM
Johnny returned to us this morning. DD8 was absolutely thrilled while DS6 nodded and went back to sleep.

I think DS is going to catch on a lot faster than DD.

Johnny is there to watch over the kids and report back to Santa, he is not naughty. I never really thought I'd be able to explain why it was okay for him to be bad in our home and yet he'd tell Santa if the kids were bad.

Incidentally, Johnny is named after my dad! DS did that one and it just stuck. DD tried all sorts of names the first year but Johnny stuck when DS said no his name is Johnny like Poppa.

MMmomto5
12-02-2008, 02:43 PM
Our elf, Christopher Pop-in-kins, arrived last night and decorated our Christmas tree. He was standing at the bottom putting the last ornament on when the kids discovered him. This is our fist year with an elf, so we read the book that accompanied him and learned the do's and don'ts of having an elf visitor. The kids were amazed and couldn't stop talking about it all the way to school. I really thought my oldest kids would question it or think it was stupid, but they were just as excited. Tonight Christopher is going to hang the Disney Countdown to Christmas calendar that I found at Kohl's and he will remove the first two days of December. I think I am having as much fun as the kids.

piratemamaof3
12-02-2008, 04:27 PM
I really want to get one of these Playmobile Advent Calendars but it's already the first so ordering it online would take too long.. where did you buy yours?? THANK YOU!

our Target carries them

yummy-mummy-amy
12-08-2008, 05:17 AM
hi,

Bertie is having a great time here in the UK. my kids think it is great, they have told their friends at school (and i'm getting strange looks from other mums!)

he brought the kids advent calenders, has put the xmas tree and decs up, he hid in the freezer, left chocolatte elfs, vanished over night with a note saying he had gone to meet Rudolph. him and rudolph then sneaked into the kdis rooms and got loads of toys out and the next night they had a party downstairs with some of the toys (made a right mess - food crumbs, party poppers, lights and music on). they made it up to ME with a bag of chocolates!!!

rudolph has now gone back to the north pole. Bertie cant cause any mischief as he is under the tree in lounge and both kids are off school ill! i'm sure we will manage somehow!

Bertie does have his own website - www . bertieelfkins . mystics . co . uk

(remove spaces) please stop bye and say hi! there are still a few problems with website but OH is at work so will fix them later. I have told a few people i know about this and they have also gone and got elves so hopefully it will catch on in the UK.

piratemamaof3
12-08-2008, 07:26 AM
That's great. I understand about some looks. I was trying to talk to my neighbor about it but her 4 yr old was there so I was talking around the how to and she asked if I had a real person staying at my house. LOL DH and I have had fun about it.

We had some kids be nasty about it and tell my kids it's not true and he knows the truth (he is only 9) and I had a chat about how rude he was being and it was not OK for him to tell the boys they were wrong b/c we do things differently here.

The elves have blog. It's in my signature.

yummy-mummy-amy
12-08-2008, 07:54 AM
thats cool. i have decided that i am going to borrow your "reading" idea 1 night, hope you dont mind.

i did say to my OH about bertie "borrowing" the car, but we couldnt leave it unlocked/open even if it was for 5mins (some of the youth on estate leave alot to be desired!) he has agreed that bertie can go to work with him 1 day, dred to think what the boss will say. LOL!

CinRell
12-08-2008, 10:20 AM
Jingle is having so much fun!! I have my whole family (my mom and sister) asking about what he's going to do next. I even have a friend who says "What did the elf do today?" LOL!

So far, Jingle has brought a bag of holiday kit kats for my niece and nephew, but he couldn't resist and opened the bag and was eating one! He read a new Christmas book to my niece's stuffed toys, he was riding my sleigh decoration with all sorts of plastic animals pulling him (new $1 from Micheals), he hid in our ficus tree and in the plant holder. He even hung from the ceiling fan on a ribbon swing!

Today he set up a dollar store train set and sat in the middle of it with an advent calendar (my target was sold out of the playmobil kind and nobody around me carried it.. I might ask someone who sees them regularly next year if I can send money to have one sent to me if someone here wouldn't mind keeping in touch next year? LOL!)

I took pics of many of these adventures and will post when I upload.

I love doing this.. though my niece (just turned 5).. who was initially nervous about Jingle asked her grandma "Where are you going to put jingle next?" My mom said "oh I don't do that.. jingle moves himself at night!".. she said "Ok then, where will Binna (what she calls me) put him next?"

LOL! I hope just a part of her believes....

yummy-mummy-amy
12-08-2008, 10:38 AM
my 6yr old was a bit funny to start with and wanted to "beat bertie up" but he has come round to the idea and i think he fully believes as his face lights up whenever he dissappears or leaves them something.

i hope we have a couple of yrs of fun b4 he realises and even then i'd like to think he would play along for his brother.

MNFootballMommy
12-08-2008, 02:48 PM
My 3.5 year old thinks that it is Santa who moves her elf around at night. I tried to tell her that "Missy" moves herself, but she is convinced that it's Santa...I guess she's right. ;)

SalandJeff
12-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Is my dd (5) the only one who is not really buying into this whole thing??? Our two elves (they came in a set and are twins) came on Saturday night. DD found them and was a bit excited. She quickly forgot about them and at one point said to me "they are toys". Not sure if this was a statement to me or to reassure herself so she wouldn't be scared. Maybe if they start getting a bit more mischievious she'll get excited.

MNFootballMommy
12-09-2008, 07:27 PM
I gotta admit, SaladJeff, that my DD had the same reaction at first. "She's just a doll." However, she always believed that the elf 'doll' came from Santa. Missy has been with us since Thanksgiving week and DD is finally giving in to the idea that she 'really' 'dances around' at night. It helped that Missy went with us to Grandma's over Thanksgiving and kept sneaking into Grandma's best cookie jar! :goodvibes Oh, and if she ever leaves a gift, then THAT is from Santa, not Missy...last night Missy tried to make hot cocoa for the two of them. Cocoa mix and marshmallows everywhere. DD wanted Missy to clean up her own mess! :lmao: I volunteered to help...:rolleyes:

ColleenG
12-09-2008, 09:42 PM
Today the kids recieved a letter from Santa in the mail saying that he feels they need an elf in the house to keep an eye on them to see if they are being good enough to get on to Santa's nice list. I guess Santa has heard me telling them that Santa is not going to come to our house. So before bed they left out crackers and water to help Sebastian, our elf, find his way here.

I'm just afraid DD7 is going to be really disappointed that the elf isn't walking and talking. But she totally believes the letter is from Santa himself!

ColleenG
12-10-2008, 09:27 PM
We found Sebastian arrived while we slept. He arrived with an "Official Elf Journal" so he can leave notes to the kids and they can leave notes for him. He ate all his crackers we left out for him. DD immdiately made him a home out of her toy pet carrier, although she calls it a cage. I'm not so sure we should be caging an elf. :rolleyes1 She left him a pencil and her rings so he could use them for decorations. Some one moved the rings so Sebastian found a small strand of Christmas ornaments that he strung around his room. Tonight he is sleeping. He is very tired from his trip from the North Pole and going with us to get our Christmas tree. We'll just have to see what he does next.

And he did leave a note for the kids that they need to listen to mom and dad better and cited examples from through out the day. He is a very watchfull little elf!

Disney 4 Me
12-11-2008, 08:25 AM
Well, our elf came Saturday morning on St. Nicholas Day. All was fine until we went downstairs and I turned the furnace up. I guess our elf was still wanting the cold from the North Pole because that was the last time our furnace worked. We had to wait until Tuesday to get it replaced! That darn elf! When it finally worked again, we found Elfie in the refrigerator. At least he wasn't tinkering with the furnace again. He is very expensive!

TeDe
12-11-2008, 04:18 PM
Hi, all. I've been a lurker for a while and I have really enjoyed this thread.

I had such a hard time finding an elf. I finally found one at CVS drug store for 6.99. He has a very sweet face. Then, yesterday, I found a different one, also cute, at Joanne's (fabric store) for 5.99 (60% off). :santa:

lunapnp
12-11-2008, 10:22 PM
This is our 3rd year with our elves. We have had so much fun. Here are a few of the things that we have done (I'll try not to repeat what others have said):

Made snowmen out of marshmallows
Played games and threw the pieces all over the den
Painted our car windows with "Elves rock! Merry Christmas!"
Wrote on the bathroom mirrors in lipstick
Cleaned ALL of the food out of the cabinets
Made a pyramid with the little bathroom solo cups
Rearranged furniture
"Bungee jumping" from the ceiling fan
Moved outdoor Christmas decorations inside the house

This last one has to be my favorite:
On the last night with us (Christmas eve), the elves thought it would be funny if they hid DDs' Christmas presents. My DDs woke up to find not one single present under the tree. All they found was a letter from the elves. The letter did send DDs on a scavenger hunt where they found all of their presents!

JodyLynC
12-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Ours is named Elvin. He arrived for the first time last year.

Here is what we did last year:

-Took all the single socks that we keep on our dryer (in the hopes of finding mates) and hung them on the tree.

- Used a tower made of stuff on the counter to climb into a cupboard where the snacks are.

- Made rice krispie treats

- Placed in front of computer where a "report to Santa" was on the screen (done several times)

- Hid in the tree or fridge

- played party games (done several times). Other stuffed animals would be sitting on the table around a board game. Bowls of snacks and drinks were out.

- watching a DVD or TV show and "eating" popcorn

- when we received packages in the mail, Elvin would be found playing in the empty boxes.

- My favorite: we had a short string of Christmas lights that had a short so half of it was off and the other half blinked madly. They were horribly tangled. We hung them from a curtain rod and wrapped part of the string around Elvin so it looked like he tried to hang up some lights, but had a mishap.

- Dec 23rd - Since Elvin goes back with Santa on Dec. 24th, there was a party held on the night of the 23rd. The girls playroom is in our finished basement. There were streamers, a couple of balloons, and other decorations. All the dolls and stuffed animals were in various places in the room. A portable radio was playing music. Bowls of snack mix and popcorn as well as empty cups were all over the place.

:dance3:

borntoshop96
12-12-2008, 01:57 PM
I've heard of people taking them on their trips, but I don't think I would. Too much work! Going to Grandma's is a good idea. Or maybe Santa could 'conveniently' need him back at the North Pole for an elf emergency. Hey, it could happen!

Of course, another idea would be to leave Vincent at home to take care of the house (with plenty of food and water, of course!) then run back into the house before you leave (you forgot something, etc.) and stage a party or something fun for the kids to come home to, although you don't want to come home to a big mess either!

BTW--We ordered from Elf-Magic and "Missy" arrived today!

wrighter
12-12-2008, 02:48 PM
Just want to thank everyone who has shared/is sharing their elfcapades. When we pick up the mail today, there is a letter from Santa waiting for my DS5 and DD3, where he will tell them he is sending two of his best elves to stay with us until Christmas. Not sure where "Jem" and "Scout" will first appear today, though. Will have to wait and see when I get a chance to sneak away from the kids for two seconds. :-) Tomorrow morning will be our first morning of Elf-fun. I can't wait! :-)

I must remember to take pictures each night of the elves in their different spots. I want to make a little book for my kids that the elves will send to them in January - telling them how much fun they had and that if they (my kids) are good they (the elves) will ask Santa if they can come and stay again next year.

I can hardly wait! 30 more minutes until DS gets home from school and we can go get the mail!!! :-) Tick tock!

Update - My kids are going crazy for their elves. Very excited, trying to figure out how they come alive, etc. One funny moment: After a couple of hours of elf lovin', my DD3 was being naughty. I gestured towards one of the elves and whispered to her to be careful because Scout might hear her. She promptly picked her elf up and chucked her across the room, declaring, "I don't like Scout anymore. Hmph!" I gasped and let my jaw drop to the floor, telling her I couldn't believe she would do that. That Scout asked to come and stay with us and that was how she would treat a guest?!?!? Needless to say, she's doing her best to make it up to Scout now. :-)

Leleluvsdis
12-13-2008, 12:09 AM
popcorn:: popcorn:: popcorn::

J&ADisneyMom
12-13-2008, 11:33 AM
Our elves, Piper and Tessa showed up while we were on DCL for Thanksgiving. They arrived on dome covered platters one evening at dinner. While on the ship, they toilet papered our room, left advent calenders, did each others hair with lots of barrettes and took off with my camera one night to take pictures of themselves all over the ship.

Once home, they have been found hanging from a ceiling fan, drinking Shirley Temples, eating pasta ala "Elf" (with syrup, sugar and pop tarts!), playing boggle under the tree, playing foosball, using the computer to email Santa an update, writing elf jokes all over the mirrors and windows in the house (with Crayola window markers) and leaving cocoa mugs covered with lots of pictures of them from the cruise (snapfish. com)

The plans for the rest of their stay include leaving a gingerbread kit, sneaking out to get Happy Meals, and leaving pj's for Christmas Eve. The rest I'll have to play by ear. The kids are enjoying every minute but the downside is that the kids wake me too early to tell me about their latest escapades.

Shell

ColleenG
12-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Sebastian has been with us for a few days now. He has been leaving the kids notes in his elf journal to warn them to be good. Tonight Santa is leaving a note putting them on notice that they are on the Naught List for not listening to Mom and Dad and for being mean to one another.

So far Sebastian has not gotten in to too much trouble. He decorated his room and has read "The Gingerbread Baby" to the Webkinz and the Disney pals we have. Last night the kids forgot to leave his crackers and water so this morning we left him a chocolate chip cookie that we baked and he ate it really quickly. We think the baby might have even gotten a glimpse of Sebastian while he was "alive". Not sure what he will do tonight. Maybe bring in the Christmas tree and get it in the stand.:santa:

yummy-mummy-amy
12-14-2008, 11:41 AM
i made an elf mask for my 2 boys from bertie. if any of you would like to copy it it can be found on berties website.

GaSleepingBeautyFan
12-14-2008, 05:57 PM
My kids are a bit old for an Elf but it sure sounds fun.

How about the Elf playing with your nativity scene or messing around with your Christmas Village if you have one?

disneybound08
12-14-2008, 07:20 PM
cant wait to start, DS is 2 1/2 so he wont quite get it but I think it will be fun, hed like them to play with his toys

ColleenG
12-14-2008, 11:18 PM
Does everyone's elf do something mischevious (sp?) every night? Tonight our elf, Sebastian is just resting under the Christmas tree and enjoying the fresh pine scent. The kids were excited to find him this morning playing Chutes and Ladders with 2 of the kids Webkinz.

yummy-mummy-amy
12-17-2008, 09:12 AM
most nights if i remember! last night he saw me bring some cakes in and put in cupboard..... this morning he was found head 1st in the box with his feet hanging out the kitchen cupboard.

CandCMommy
12-17-2008, 11:34 AM
Our elf, Oliver, arrived Monday night while they boys were in the bath tub. DS 4 would not even touch him. (He's an Annalee so he is pretty scary looking-we might have to get a different elf next year.) Tuesday morning DS woke up to his underware and his brother's diapers all over the tree. This morning he woke up to Oliver playing with his legos and his brother's mega blocks. So far it's been really fun and I'm glad I waited as long as I did because I can't imagine thinking of things for that crazy elf to do for a month. This is definitely going to be a tradition around our house.

jenlynn0808
12-17-2008, 03:06 PM
So I decided to give this a try this year and pass it off as a Northwest tradition (since we just moved from MI to WA over the summer and we are now closer to Santa). I figured DS3 would be all about it and DD10.5 would play along since she has been a KOTSantaS for quite sometime.

I kid you not, DD is more into then DS. He gets up in the morning and goes and play, DD jumps out of bed finds her brother, then goes looking for the elf. I had the audacity to hide it the 2nd night after DS went to bed and she was still up, she said "Mom, now I know where it is, that's no fun." OOOKAY, so sorry! :confused3 :laughing: Now I have to wait until they have both gone to bed before I can replenish the mailbox (I found a crayola mailbox at the goodwill store :thumbsup2 ).

Santa's letter said they had to name their elf together...DD mostly came up with the name, but DS agreed. Murry Christmas Santa Elf, yeah...our elf has 2 middle names.

This is turning out to be a whole lot more fun then I expected, even DH is getting a kick out of it.

Maroon
12-18-2008, 01:39 PM
The Elf on a Shelf "showed up" at our front door last year around December 1st along with a book.

Maroon
12-19-2008, 09:44 AM
depends on your kid I think.

ColleenG
12-22-2008, 10:55 PM
Our elf Sebastian has been having lots of fun. He set up the kids' little Christmas trees and decorated them with underwear, hid in the freezer, got into the Christmas cookie tin, fell into a stocking. Tonight he is riding the boys' Geotrax airplane. Every morning they look forward to seeing what Sebastian got himself into. DD7 has gotten really into it. When Sebastian arrived she told everyone at school. She wanted to bing him to school, but I was afraid he may not make it back home. It wil be sad to see him go back to the North Pole. Hopefully he will be back next year and maybe bring a friend. :rolleyes1 :santa:

jenndisney
12-23-2008, 08:19 AM
I shared this thread with my sister back in November and was glad when she decided to do this with her children. :rolleyes1 Well, this week, I went to their home while everyone was a work, school, and sitters and had the two elves pulling and pushing a large gift sack with a cocoa maker, cocoa mix, and a bag of marshmallows in it. I tore a small hole in the bottom of the gift bag and Marshmallow bag and left a trail of marshmallows from the door to where they were left. Half way to their spot, I staged a tea party for a break.

BIL and kids arrived home and were so excited! He called his wife and said how much the kids loved the surprise. She was so confused. She had to work late and so had some time to think about it. She became convinced that her hubby did it. She finally called me the next day to ask if I knew anything about it. :confused3 She knew I was not feeling well and so she figured I could not do it. After a few minutes, I finally cracked. :wizard: She was so excited that everyone was surprised. She even said that for about 30 seconds, she started to wonder if they really had magic. She said that her son had started to not believe, but that after seeing that mom and dad were genuinely surprised, he believes now. :woohoo:

ColleenG
12-23-2008, 05:56 PM
Jenndisney, what a cute idea. That's great that you were able to surprise even your sister.

ColleenG
12-24-2008, 12:11 AM
I am so sad to see our elf head home tonight. The kids had such a blast seeing what he would do next. He'll definately be back next year, and maybe with a friend. Merry Christmas everyone! :santa:

jenlynn0808
12-24-2008, 12:24 PM
I agree...we are also sad to see our elf go tonight. Everyone had a lot of fun and it has made our first Christmas (and the whole holiday season) away all of our families (DH & mine) a little less sad. Murry will definetly be back next year, as his elf assistant will start collecting goodies (and maybe a new elf friend :rolleyes1 -if one can be found) on Friday.

I think Murry might send a letter or two during the year and might make a one night visit in July/August just as a reminder that he is always keeping an eye on them. :laughing: :lovestruc

adoptionmomma4
12-24-2008, 06:07 PM
Hi Ladies!
Just wanted to thank you for suggesting and sharing your experiences with your elf's.

Our elf Jasper arrived last Thursday. They were far to behind this year for him to arrive any earlier:) I didn’t think my older kids would like it because they don't really believe in Santa, but I thought I would give it a try. ALL of my kids LOVE Jasper. He has made some mischief and left some little gifts. It is always exciting for the kids to wake up and see what he has done overnight. Even my oldest DD who is 11 was talking about him at her cheerleading practice. After practice two of the girls came up to me and asked if we really had a naughty elf? They wanted to know if he really came to life or if it was me (they promised they would not tell Leanne the truth). I told them he was real, he was magical just like Santa. It was so cute, they ran to their mom's telling them about our elf and asking for one next Christmas.

I think Jasper will come earlier next year. He will also be better planned out. I like the idea of a journal. I have just been writing his letters on Christmas stationary. He really likes the digital camera and takes lots of pictures of himself at night.

My favorite thing Jasper did was; he took 4 toys our of my "gift closet" and suggested we take them to the fire station to donate for needy children. We took the toys and the kids talked to the firemen about children in need and also about Jasper our elf. The firemen were very sweet with the kids and listens to all of their elf stories. One of them told my kids he was going to write Santa and ask for an elf for his children next year.

Thank you again for helping many people start this wonderful Christmas tradition. I think I will keep this up each year. Even when my kids figure it all out :rolleyes1 My DS 9 asked if Jasper would still come when he is in college. I think he will!

tink2
12-26-2008, 09:56 AM
I just wanted to say that our elf Jingles was one of the best things we have ever done! I was skeptical at first b/c dd is 9 and ds7 (and more of a realist than dd), but they totally bought it all and were sooo into it! DD would wake up at 5:30 every morning to see what Jingles had gotten in to that night! She cried Christmas Eve night when she went to bed and set him by the milk and cookies for Santa.
Thanks for the ideas! Both kids wrote letters to Santa asking for Jingles back again next year- and he definitely will be back! He brought so much magic to our house...

wrighter
12-26-2008, 10:38 AM
I also would like to thank everyone who shared their ideas about their elves. This was the first year Jem and Scout came to us, and we had a blast. My DS5 and DD3 would get up in the morning and the first thing they would do was head downstairs to see what the elves had done during the night. As many intricate set-ups as I did, I think their favorite was when the elves were hiding in the freezer! (Because I had been up late the night before and was too exhausted to do anything!) :-)

Seeing the elves go was bittersweet. I listened to my DD3 on Christmas eve talking to her elf in bed, telling her she would be okay and maybe she'd see us next year. I almost cried!

The only thing I will change next year is this: Jem and Scout will not require the "magic sprinkles" in order to come alive at night. (These were from elfmagic.com) Those dang paper "snowflakes" are all over my house and they're impossible to clean up! Even with the vacuum! :-)

Thanks again, everyone, for bringing such a wonderful new tradition to our home. I can't wait for my kids to read To Kill A Mockingbird when they are in high school, and come to the realization that their elves were named for the kids in that book! :-)

Merry Christmas!

tink2
12-26-2008, 11:12 AM
The only thing I will change next year is this: Jem and Scout will not require the "magic sprinkles" in order to come alive at night. (These were from elfmagic.com) Those dang paper "snowflakes" are all over my house and they're impossible to clean up! Even with the vacuum! :-)

We bought an AnnaLee elf, so we had to come up with our own magic dust. I used 'magic snow' - the stuff you add water to and it fluffs up like snow. But, I think next year I'll just use an odor-free powder laundry detergent. The letter from Santa said to use a very small amount- so we just used a 'pinch'- literally a pinch- on the top of his head at night. We had no messes at all! Dh is OCD about the house, so it worked out well!

yummy-mummy-amy
12-29-2008, 08:45 AM
[QUOTE]The only thing I will change next year is this: Jem and Scout will not require the "magic sprinkles" in order to come alive at night. (These were from elfmagic.com) Those dang paper "snowflakes" are all over my house and they're impossible to clean up! Even with the vacuum! :-)
[QUOTE]

i made a bage of magic snow my bertie - it had bits from hole punch in it and some of the polystyrene beanbag balls in it. it was all sealed with sellotape and had a couple of snowflake stickers on the outside.

this had to be put into berties stocking to remind him of him and make him come alive at night. also meant i didnt have to pick it up every day!

mdurette
11-07-2009, 11:18 PM
Bumping to supplement the 2009 thread I just started.

100acrewoodfan
12-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Our elves returned on Dec. 1 and my kids were so excited. We lead up to their visit with a letter from Santa saying the elves will be coming soon and a letter from the elves saying they are getting their things together to make the trip to our house. My kids are 7 and 4 and love their elves. Their names are Frosty Snowflake and Twinkle Berry and they get into a lot of mischief.

tnmom25
12-25-2009, 01:48 AM
Our elf, Pepper Minstix, arrived on Dec 13 and I mostly used ideas that I found here or other boards. We are sad to see him leave tonight as well, but I know he'll return next year. I like the idea of a couple letters throughout the year and maybe an AWOL visit this summer LOL

Proud Momma of 4
11-24-2010, 05:02 PM
Chip came to visit for the first time, last year and we had a blast. we have new baby this year so it will be really fun! My kids are 6, 4, 2, and 1. They're all adopted. Chip did lots of fun things like gave us tickets to festive events in our area and brought goodies for everyone, even the dogs, and caused a little trouble. This year is much more planned and more organized so I'm really looking forward to it.

He comes on "Black Friday" every year and sets up the Christmas Tree and delivers something special, last year it was specialized stockings, snow globes, and snowmen figurines for each human family member.

'Tis the season everyone!! I look forward to sharing and hearing many of the elf antics of 2010!

IluvDonald!
11-24-2010, 07:07 PM
We find him sleeping on the milk carton after he puts food coloring into it to turn it green!

He "tries on" my bra's!

He's found sleeping in the dog food bowl

He's found in somebody's coat sleeve

He's found wearing my high heels

So many cute ideas out here!

JMURPHY3409
12-05-2011, 03:29 PM
1) Spill coca on the kitchen counter, and make little tracks or spell your Elf's Name in it. Place a Coca mug near by.

2) Get some Cotton balls and spread them around the kitchen table and place your Elf near by, He had a snow ball fight with the dog.

3) Take Little Mini Marshmellows and put them in your shoes so when you leave in the morning you find them.

4) Take some Holiday Bows and stick them on anything (Doors, Chairs, Cupboards, Walls)

5) You can buy bath tub crayons or use shaving cream or lip stick and write something on the bathroom sink
(like: ho, ho, ho! or draw a raindeer, or a snow man)

6) Pull out all your kids race cars and trucks and put them in a spot and set your Elf on them, He must have been racing around.

7) Use wrapping paper and wrap a door in your house like a present.

8) Put your Elf in a coffee cup in the cupboard or in the fridge getting a snack.

9) Have a bowl of candy on the counter and wake up to a whole bunch of wrapers and no candy left.

10) Wake up to find Candy Canes all over the chairs and handles to the fridge and cupboard doors.

11) Wake up to everyone in the houses toe nails painted red & green.

12) The Couch Cutions are in disarey, the Elf was jumping on the couch last night.

13) Find Christmas coloring pages all over the table with the crayons out.

14) Popcorn on the couch every where and cristmas movies on with your elf holding the remote.

15) Buy fake snow and make a trail down the hall way and place your Elf on a sled.

16) Put some sweetish fish in the toilet and (or cherioes or something) and make a rod out of popcicle stick and yarn and set him on the back of the toilet fishing.

17) Place some feathers from your pillow and place your Elf near the pillow. He had a pillow fight.

18) Take some Extra Tinsel Garland and place it around your child while sleeping and tell them the Elf must have been decorating.

19) Bring in or Put up your christmas tree while your child is sleeping.

20) Buy Red & Green Spinkels and add them into your pancake mix, or add them on your muffin, or just mic them around on your

counter.

21) Use Window Chalk and allow your Elf to decorate your windows and wake up to a holiday display.

22) Make a Ginger Bread looking house out of gram crakers and candy and leave it on the table to allow your child find a house built over night. (They also make cookie tree kits too)

23) Hang Ornament Balls from the celing with ribbon and tape.

24) Have your Elf decorate your pets cage or crate with any holiday decorations you can find.

25) They have Pancake Holiday Shape cut outs you can cut your childs pancakes in christmas shapes and said thats how they were when you put them in the pan.

26) In your childs cereal box you can put a little treat bag with a pencil, eraser, tattoos, ect... So when they pour there own cereal they find a surprise.

27) Buy one of thoes Raindeer Car kits and wake up to take your kids to school and find a nose and antlers on the car.

28) Buy Raindeer antlers or a Santa hat and place it on your child carefully while they sleep and wake up with the outfit on.

29) Turn your Computer on and start to Type your report to Santa and wake up finding your Elf sitting at the comp.

30) IF you don't have pets you can take a trail of marshmellows and lead them out side the house and have a snowman made, or use food color and color the snow red & green.