PDA

View Full Version : I'm so bummed

shankwheat
09-21-2008, 08:49 PM
I hate crowds and lines so I planned our family trip to WDD Dec 2-7 based on the recommendations from the book "Unofficial Guide to WDD". However, I just came this info on mousesavers.com

The best times to go to Walt Disney World are:

Mid-November and mid-December. The weather is usually cool but pleasant, the Christmas decorations are up, special events are running, and the crowds are usually moderate. The first week of December used to be a good time, but various events during that time now cause crowds.

Is it really going to be that crowded during our week there?

ColleenG
09-21-2008, 09:37 PM
We went Dec 2-10 in 2004. The crowds were not bad at all. If we waited 10 minutes to get on a ride it was a long time. I think the pop warner championships were at the end of that week. We saw a small increase but nothing to get to worried about. The biggest thing we noticed were more school age kids in the parks rather than pre-schoolers. I would go back that week again. The Christmas decorations are great.

Disney1976
09-21-2008, 10:02 PM
As a general rule, the first two weeks of December are less crowded times to visit. While the weather can be all over the place, crowds are usually low, and the Christmas decorations are up at the parks and in the resorts.

You'll be fine. You won't have the parks to yourselves, of course, but you won't find hour long waits on anything, either.

luvmy2sams
09-21-2008, 10:02 PM
The first week of December is still a relatively quiet time of year. Pop Warner only makes a noticeable difference if you're staying at a value resort, and then it's still hit and miss on whether the crowds are bothersome.

I wouldn't sweat it. There's really not an offseason in Disney anymore, but your timeframe is still slower than many other times of the year.

SLDL
09-21-2008, 10:08 PM
We went last year during the same Dec. time frame you are going & it was great! I would say that the Christmas Day Parade is taped during this time & that usually ties up a day at the MK, so unless you just want to be a part of that, I'd go to a different park that day. Otherwise, I enjoyed the crowds but the Christmas decorations would make it all worthwhile anyway. We stayed at the GF & it was magical!

rie'smom
09-21-2008, 10:17 PM
Pop Warner starts on Dec 6th, so you should be fine. To be safe though, I'd get in all of my favorites before that.

ColleenG
09-21-2008, 10:22 PM
We went last year during the same Dec. time frame you are going & it was great! I would say that the Christmas Day Parade is taped during this time & that usually ties up a day at the MK, so unless you just want to be a part of that, I'd go to a different park that day. Otherwise, I enjoyed the crowds but the Christmas decorations would make it all worthwhile anyway. We stayed at the GF & it was magical!

When we were there in 2004 that week they were taping the Christmas parade the first Saturday we were there (so Dec 4th). We went to MK that day not knowing they were taping. Main Street was pretty much off limits unless you had whatever you needed to be sitting along Main Street to watch the parade. The rest of the park was fine. I think later in the day they ran the parade (without the big star entertainment) for everyone to see as a thank you for putting up with them. It was the same parade they did for MVMCP, which we went to. So we got to see it twice.

Have a great trip. It's a great time of year to go.

YellowMickeyPonchos
09-22-2008, 12:06 AM
We used to always go during that time frame and it was heaven.

Pop Warner will affect you most if you are staying at a Value Resort like Pop Century - I believe they put most of the kids up there. If you are at a Deluxe or Modeate, you will hardly notice them.

shankwheat
09-22-2008, 05:37 AM
Thanks, everyone. This is our first trip so I didn't know what to expect. :cool1:

princess&her4princes
09-22-2008, 12:24 PM
Now you have me worried!! We're going the 7th-14th! Are we going to be in for a rude awakening? I was told this was a low time from Disney and now I"m concerned and too excited!!! Help!?!:confused3

swald91
09-22-2008, 01:44 PM
Don't stress too much -other posters are right-it's hit or miss with pop warner. The 2nd week is great as well!!!

PrincessBelle39
09-22-2008, 04:42 PM
We were there from 28 November to 26 December last year, and I didn't find the crowds bad at all until the Saturday before Christmas. It did slowly build up but the first 3 weeks were great.

The Disney Bunch
09-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Why be bummed? We have never found that time of year to be unreasonably crowded but even so - you are at DISNEYWORLD!!!