PDA

View Full Version : OT-Where have you rented a Beach House for Vacation?

MandM-Mom
09-20-2008, 10:52 AM
Thinking ahead to Spring break we want to head to the Beach for relaxation, easily accessible with little ones. I want a Beach House so we are close to the house when my youngest needs to be relaxing while one of us stays at the beach with the older two. I really want a house not a condo, any suggestions on places you have rented or been to and loved with your family...We did Virginia Beach last spring break and rented a camping cabin, I need a bit more than that this year:goodvibes

Someplaces I have been researching homes OuterBanks and Hilton Head
Hilton Head is way out of my budget:lmao:
I would like to stay within 2000.00 for a Week on the rental

I looked at Twiddy for homes in Outerbanks and this looks like it is looking like a possibility but I am hesitant since I know no one that has ever rented anywhere in this area.

Where do you go for a Beach House Vacation?
TIA:)

imthatgirl
09-20-2008, 11:07 AM
we rent in the summer so my suggestions arent any good. but we rent in the Cape and in Plymouth MA. my all time fave is the Cape, but not for spring break.

MandM-Mom
09-20-2008, 11:33 AM
we rent in the summer so my suggestions arent any good. but we rent in the Cape and in Plymouth MA. my all time fave is the Cape, but not for spring break.

Thank you! We would love to do the New England Coast if it was warmer that time of year, its closer to us and would be much more convenient:) Just not ready to give up our Summer Disney Trips yet:goodvibes

bigbabyblues
09-20-2008, 11:38 AM
We go to the Nags Head area of the Outer Banks. There are several different towns to pick from, some less expensive than others. I have rented from Prudential Resort Realty, and one that was a different name at the time but is now Stan White Remax or something like that. We've had nothing but good experiences all the way around.

We like the OBX because it's quieter....no huge Boardwalk like at Myrtle Beach, etc. (Nothing wrong with it, just not our thing). The last time we were there, it was September and there was at least 100 yards between our "spot" on the beach and the next family.

LisaNJ25
09-20-2008, 11:43 AM
Nags head in the outerbanks.. we paid 1100 I believe for huge house right on the beach. This ws a few years ago. Spring break is so much cheaper than summertime.

LisaNJ25
09-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Nags head in the outerbanks.. we paid 1100 I believe for huge house right on the beach. This ws a few years ago. Spring break is so much cheaper than summertime.

I used this site
http://www.carolinadesigns.com/

a1tinkfans
09-20-2008, 12:20 PM
We have rented several
We've rented Ocean Beach, Fire Island, 2 houses in from beach BEAUTIFUL location, but We pay 2200 and that is only Monday thru Friday, but we LOVE it. Have done it several times, in summer.
Also rented a smaller house in Jamesport, NY, North Shore LI, NY, also a lovely area, but I don't think it'd be what you needed with young kids )
We were considering Windsor Palms in Florida but passed on it.
Sorry not much help here, Good Luck though!

Disneylush
09-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Sanibel Island Florida ... with a trip up to disney for a chef mickey dinner, or MK "party" (if there is one) in the middle of the week.

tanyaandallie
09-20-2008, 01:27 PM
We went to Grayton Beach, FL this summer. Right outside of Destin. We loved it. The home we stayed in was within walking distance of the beach, there was a community pool, etc. We loved it! Great price for a house that was perfect for our family of 4.

LadyShea
09-20-2008, 01:40 PM
I'd like to promote my own area Gulf Shores and Orange Beach Alabama (http://gulfshores.com/). We loved it so much we moved here from Las Vegas. Sugar white sand beaches like parts of Florida, and a very relaxed and family friendly atmosphere. Dolphins can be sighted year round. We don't have lots of college students at Spring Break, mostly families.

There are lots of houses available too, as well as condos. Many on www.vrbo.com or through various vacation rental management companies.

minniebeth
09-20-2008, 02:04 PM
Hilton Head, The Outer Banks and Long Beach Island in New Jersey...
We prefer HHI and OBX because we like to have a pool with the beach as well. I have to say, depending on where you rent, OBX was just as expensive as HHI....

K and K's Mommy
09-20-2008, 02:51 PM
We've been to Outer Banks twice and love it. We stay on Hatteras Island in Avon. Hatteras is the island south of Nags Head. Really there is not much to do, but we love that! We relax on the beach, visit the lighthouse once, take the ferry to Ocracoke, and play more on the beach. It is not crowded because Hatteras is skinny! We use Outer Banks Reality. I think there is also Hatteras Reality. We've stayed in Avon both times.

Have fun!

lastminutemom
09-20-2008, 03:34 PM
and what kind of weather are you looking for?

If you don't go South enough and you are going before May, you face a real possibility of not real warm weather and certainly not real warm water!

deedeetoo
09-20-2008, 04:22 PM

If you don't go South enough and you are going before May, you face a real possibility of not real warm weather and certainly not real warm water!

That's what I was thinking. I went to HHI once for Spring Break in college (visiting parents of a friend who had retired there), and it was kind of chilly. Certainly better than New England in March, but not swimming weather by any stretch. We did ride bikes, go fishing, etc., but no swimming.

CandCMommy
09-20-2008, 07:06 PM
A vote here for Destin/Fort Walton Beach Florida. We rented a house right on the beach and absolutely loved it. Of course that was in October and I'm not sure what the weather is like in March/April whenever your Spring Break is, but you could check it out. We rented thru VRBO dot com and the name of the area was Destiny By the Sea. We love it so much we got married there on the beach as you can see in my avatar.

MandM-Mom
09-20-2008, 09:46 PM

Its mid April, I am not looking for 90, 65 or 70 and sunny is good for us northeasterners, its good for playing in the sand and making Sandcastles with a bit of splashing. We did Virginia Beach last year and the beach was full of families actually swimming and we just splish splashed and played in the water, not actually going all the way in, a bit cold for that even for us. We have a busy schedule so just some relaxation and the sound of the ocean is good for us.

oldbay
09-20-2008, 09:50 PM
Ocean Isle Beach, NC. It is on the NC/SC border. A wonderful family beach and very affordable. Great local restaurants. We have done a bunch of beaches up and down the east coast but always come back here and love it best. Good luck with your search.

INdisneyfamily
09-20-2008, 10:01 PM
Our family rented a house on the beach in Corolla/Outer Banks in July. Very nice area! Great for families. Not sure what the temps would be for Spring Break.

Karlzmom
09-20-2008, 11:29 PM
We did Cape San Blas on the west coast of Florida. The bugs were bad for us on the last day [we're from Central California where its too darn hot for bugs] but the beautiful white sand and the weather made it worthwhile. We rented 3 full houses for a family reunion and it was great.

SLK1
09-20-2008, 11:39 PM
Hilton Head is one of our favorites places in the U.S. It can be expensive, but it's so beautiful. Try looking into the different plantations - not all are as expensive as Sea Pines!

brockash
09-21-2008, 11:36 AM
We rented in Rodanthe NC- part of the Outerbanks this past summer. We had a lot of ppl. with 8 bedrooms, and I think the total was under 3000, so I think you should be able to find something there for your family for under 2000. It was nice, we were right across the street from the beach. We could see the ocean from our house. It was very nice and peaceful. We also had a pool at the house (most did.) Good luck!

czycropper
09-21-2008, 01:21 PM
My neighbor owns a house in the Outer Banks near Cape Hatteras on the beach and they love to go down there in April.

I would also vote for Sanibel/Captiva. We're trying to decide between going there or Williamsburg this coming Spring Break.

MandM-Mom
09-21-2008, 04:04 PM
Thank you for all the replies we are looking into them!

I really love the looks of the houses and the lack of commercialization on the 4x4 areas of the Outerbanks. It looks like just what I am looking for RELAXATION! Our Disney vacation is so busy I really want to do a chill out vacation....DH thinks I will be stir crazy in 4 days but I think it will be nice. He says we don't know how to relax:confused3 The last time we took a relaxing vacation was 8 YRS ago on our Honeymoon to Jamaica, sleep till 9am, drinks in the pool bar from 10-2, afternoon nap at 3, dinner at 6, drinks at the pool bar at 8pm......Wow how I long for those days again. So this won't be that kind of relaxing but I will still take it.:)

luckey-lasvegas
09-21-2008, 04:25 PM
We visited DH's family in Topsail Island NC this summer and we had a wonderful time. I'm not sure about rentals because we stayed with family and we went in July but it's a nice little place. You can look for Topsail Island or Surf City North Carolina.

Promomx2
09-21-2008, 06:34 PM
I vote for either Atlantic Beach,N.C. It's quiet but thing for the kids and they have some great little islands just a boat ride away. Plus the ocean waves aren't too rough and great fishing. Also if you go all the way to Florida, try Maderia Beach, it's beautiful and not crowded at all.

eclairemom
09-21-2008, 06:42 PM
We visited DH's family in Topsail Island NC this summer and we had a wonderful time. I'm not sure about rentals because we stayed with family we went in July but it's a nice little place. You can look for Topsail Island or Surf City North Carolina.

We are looking to go there next spring have gotten some really good reviews of the area here is a good link for NC

http://www.visitnc.com/where_to_go_coast.asp

I also love Emerald Isle which is on the Crystal Coast in NC it's a great family area.

tanyaandallie
09-21-2008, 08:13 PM
Thank you for all the replies we are looking into them!

I really love the looks of the houses and the lack of commercialization on the 4x4 areas of the Outerbanks. It looks like just what I am looking for RELAXATION! Our Disney vacation is so busy I really want to do a chill out vacation....DH thinks I will be stir crazy in 4 days but I think it will be nice. He says we don't know how to relax:confused3 The last time we took a relaxing vacation was 8 YRS ago on our Honeymoon to Jamaica, sleep till 9am, drinks in the pool bar from 10-2, afternoon nap at 3, dinner at 6, drinks at the pool bar at 8pm......Wow how I long for those days again. So this won't be that kind of relaxing but I will still take it.:)

You will LOVE a relaxing beach vacation. We are the same way. This summer we decided to take a beach vacation and get away from theme parks, etc. It really was wonderful!!!! No rush rush rush. No making sure we were up and ready for rope drop! We love Disney and will get back there asap but the relaxation at the beach was awesome!

minnierocks
09-22-2008, 08:29 AM
We really loved Tybee Island, GA! It's right outside of Savannah and it was nice, quiet and relaxing! But when we wanted to go and "do" something, we found plenty of things to do...
The one thing that both DH and I commented on while there, was that it would be the perfect beach for families with small children. Ours are older now, but the unique thing about Tybee was that when the tide went out, there were pools of water that were big enough and deep enough that the little kids "swam" in them. I noticed families with small children let their kids play in the pools and didn't worry about the ocean as much.

We paid under $1300 for a two bedroom, two bath condo...with private beach access...

It was a great place to go!!! :goodvibes

DisneyMissy318
09-22-2008, 01:42 PM
I know you said you vacationed at VA Beach last year - and we will certainly welcome you back!! We are renting the same house for the second time in three years next summer (with Disney in between!) There are some very nice houses - we have rented on Sandbridge Beach - which is less than 30 mins drive from VA Beach proper. We LOVED it (obviously - since we are heading back!)

You can check out some of the houses for rent here: http://www.sandbridge.com/

One plus - you know the area and it's not as far of a drive as going to NC/SC, etc.

The house we rented was one street off of the beach - but had a dock at the bay right behind the house - so the guys were able to fish in the brackish water when they weren't surf fishing on the beach. The house also had an inground pool - which was great since during the first week of June, the ocean was still pretty chilly.

We are looking forward to Disney this December - but also looking forward the R&R of our beach vacation!

Good Luck!