PDA

View Full Version : Why Do Some Parents....

SharpMomOfTwo
09-18-2008, 12:43 PM
Bring a stroller into a store that has carriages?

I was in Target today, and there was a woman leaving with her child in a stroller, and I couldn't help but wonder, "Why??" I mean, you have to get the stroller out of the car, get the kid in it, put it back in the car when your done..... Why not just carry the kid into the store, get the carriage, and put them in it - SO MUCH EASIER! And I'm not talking about parents with newborns - I can totally understand not wanting to put the car seat in the store carriage - it never sits quite rite. Also, there's nowhere to put the groceries, clothes, what-have-you, when you just have a stroller - so what do you do then? You can't really put it in the undercarriage, because then it kinda looks like your stealing it.... :scared: How embarrassing that would be!!
So why do you do it Moms??? :goodvibes

JVL1018
09-18-2008, 12:47 PM
Maybe they walked there?

DISNEYFOS
09-18-2008, 01:00 PM
Cause they are going to disney in 23 days and they are freaking out that thier kid might catch something from the cart :rotfl:

Just kidding (well not really)

Tiffany_MommyOf3
09-18-2008, 01:21 PM
I do it because normally my babys sleeping when we arrive. They can sleep in the stroller - not in a buggy.

Also, it's a LOT more comfortable lol

Jenvenza
09-18-2008, 01:23 PM
I can think of a few reasons - their child doesnt sit up well enough on their own to sit in the cart - they walked to the store (this is my husband and daughter all the time) - they have a newborn - the baby is sleeping and will wake up if you try to put them in the cart - I am sure there are many other reasons, these are just a few I could come up now.

tzolkin
09-18-2008, 01:25 PM
Well we've used our strollers in Target several times. We were testing out our Maclaren Volos before our Disney trip :upsidedow The Target is also connected to a mall, so we used the strollers walking around there and it would be pointless to put the strollers back in the car and use a cart.

Honestly I had a really difficult time with my youngest and carts in a store. He would scream and hit his face on the bar and could always get himself out of the seatbelt. I started using a backpack carrier with him. He rode up there and was perfectly happy and well behaved and my middle DD could ride in the cart. I did get quite a few comments and have never seen another person in a grocery store with a kid in a backpack, but it worked for us.

momz3
09-18-2008, 01:36 PM
I almost always bring in my stroller. Only because my DD WILL NOT stay in the shopping cart. It can be a pain in the butt sometimes if you need alot but it is much less stressful for us!

ChristusG
09-18-2008, 01:44 PM
Uhh.....because they are disgusting and uncomfortable! I have to do everything I can to keep my 18 month old from catching germs. She ends up in the hospital with croup. So if I'm just going into Target to get a few things, I would MUCH rather her be in her comfy, CLEAN stroller, rather than in a shopping cart. Plus, they are uncomfortable. When my DD4 was about 2 years old she used to complain about how much the shopping carts hurt her legs and bottom.

And yes, I do put my merchandise in the bottom of the stroller. If someone *thinks* I'm stealing something, then let them think what they want to think. I know that I'm not stealing it. I'm a big girl, I dont care what others think of me. I have NEVER had anyone look at me strange or ask me if I was stealing something just because I put it in the stroller basket....never ever.

Now, if I have to go grocery shopping, then I pull out the shopping cart cover. I would rather use a stroller, but obviously cannot if I have groceries to get.

Wow, I never considered the fact that people looked at me and wondered why I wasnt using a shopping cart? :confused3

J3nn78
09-18-2008, 01:47 PM
I can name a few reasons why I use my stroller and/or Ergo instead of a cart

1. Germs-shopping carts have been found to have traces of feces, vomit, and countless germs and yuckies on there. I know my kids need germs to build a healthy immune system, but that does not mean I need to purposely expose them when I have other options

2. Kids are more comfy in the carrier or stroller. Carts, especially metal ones are so cold too

3. They are more contained too. No rist of climbing out of the cart and getting hurt

Those are just my reasons.

fortheluvofpooh
09-18-2008, 01:53 PM
because of all of the yucky germs on those darn shopping carts.

surfgirl
09-18-2008, 02:01 PM
they took the bus ?

DopeysMommy
09-18-2008, 02:20 PM
Because I only need a few things.

Because the Budget Board doesn't advocate buying things just because.

Because my son is way heavy to carry into the store and the stroller makes life easier.

Because I have walked there.

Because I don't want either of us to touch the germy cart.

Because my son will take a nap

Because my son will have a snack with his tray

Because I want to.

Schmeck
09-18-2008, 02:22 PM
The germs on the shopping cart are also the germs on the merchandise, the money you use, the pen you hold to sign a slip, and the plastic bag that your purchase was placed in. Would I let my kid suck on the push handle of a shopping cart? No, but I wouldn't worry about the germs there either. Actually, my local grocery store provides wipes to clean the carts - but I wouldn't want the wipe residue in my kid's mouth either.

mommy-on-the-move
09-18-2008, 02:54 PM
They have too many small kids for them to all sit in the cart? Seriously- most carts can only take one or two kids and I'd rather push the stroller and a cart than have to have 2 carts. When I had 2 under 2 could not wedge my then 1.5 year old and then 6 month old in a 2 seater one together as by 1.5 he was wearing age 2-3 clothes and filling them, 6mo was squished by him! My sil has 3 under 3 as well.

With us it's usually we've walked in or caught the bus or train- we don't own a car as rare as that is these days.

My oldest son couldn't sit up in one for ages and yet looks entirely "normal" but is SN and if you'd seen him in a stroller at that age you'd not have realised it. Also when he could sit up well enough he was a leaner and would lean his head out over the perimetre of the cart and would easily get bumped by people rushing past (same with little fingers on the outside of the push bar getting smacked by passing carts- people are so busy they don't care if they smack into a babies hand) In his stroller he wasn't at risk of those things.

SLK1
09-18-2008, 02:54 PM
The germs on the carts are gross. That's why they sell those inserts now. Also, some babies are more comfortable and therefore better behaved in their own strollers.

ALittleDisneyFan
09-18-2008, 02:59 PM
Well personally, I have had a lot of elders come and touch my daughter... and it causes her to regress in her attachment.

puffkin
09-18-2008, 03:15 PM
You have obviously never shopped with my son :lmao:

He will not stay in the carts. He can climb out of those things quicker than anything I have ever seen. Also, when grocery shopping he will reach back and play with or throw items out of the cart. He also went through a phase where he refused to hold our hand in the parking lot....but he is too big and heavy to carry into the store, especially when he makes himself stiff as a board. Yes, we are THAT family.....

Right now I try to avoid taking him to stores as much as possible. I never take him alone unless I have to pop in for one or two things (then he is in the stroller). Usually he stays home with DH while I grocery shop/run errands or we go together and one of us pushes the stroller and the other the cart.

livndisney
09-18-2008, 03:17 PM
The germs on the shopping cart are also the germs on the merchandise, the money you use, the pen you hold to sign a slip, and the plastic bag that your purchase was placed in. Would I let my kid suck on the push handle of a shopping cart? No, but I wouldn't worry about the germs there either. Actually, my local grocery store provides wipes to clean the carts - but I wouldn't want the wipe residue in my kid's mouth either.

The child in the stroller is generally not touching the merchandise, the money you use, the pen you hold to sign the slip and the plastic bag your purchase was placed it.

Tiffany_MommyOf3
09-18-2008, 03:20 PM
The child in the stroller is generally not touching the merchandise, the money you use, the pen you hold to sign the slip and the plastic bag your purchase was placed it.

and as an adult, it's easier for me to wash my hand!

Also, I use a credit card, I tote my own pen, and I carry re-usable bags

So the only thing I'm touching that is germy is the merchandise and MAYBE the door if it's not automatic.

Miss LD
09-18-2008, 03:33 PM
I always use my stroller (but not in Target since we don't have them in Canada).
With my son it was way easier to strap him in. And, when he climbed out it wasn't as far of a fall.
Plus I find carts really clunky.
With DD I put her in the bjorn and grocery shop. I can't tell you how often people stop me and ask me why. It's bizarre. Obviously I do it because it's easier for me!
Mind you, we walk a lot, so strollers/bjorns are easier.
I have always used the bottom of my stroller for purchases. I usually have my own bags hanging off the handle, and then I just stick stuff under. I guess people may think I'm stealing, but I'm not, and if I was stupid enough to make it that obvious I'd be a very bad thief.

disneyandme
09-18-2008, 03:50 PM
My DD4 has food allergies and you never know what someone has eating the the cart before you.

dis-happy
09-18-2008, 04:48 PM
Because I have to park my giant SUV way back in the parking lot and it's a long walk to the entrance of Target. If I'm just running in for a few things, or getting a prescription filled, or going with someone else who can push the cart, I always grab my own stroller. None of those nasty germs to worry about either. If I have to use a cart I park by the cart corral and put my infant seat in there. Baby is 1 and can sit up, but is still small enough for the infant seat. I never just sit him in the regular seat---beside the yucky germ issue he'd be standing out of that seatbelt in an instant.

I tote my own pen
Me too!!!! I thought I was the only one who did that. I can't tell you how often everyone around me is sick but I stay well because of my own pen (and washing my hands immediately after walking in the door after shopping).

minkydog
09-18-2008, 05:07 PM
First thing I thought of is maybe Mom or Dad has a bad back and can't tote that kid in from the car:flower3:

My youngest was the world's worst about throwing stuff out of the cart. We couldn't let him near it! One time he threw a carton of cottage cheese and it went right down this woman's cleavage:eek: After I apologized profusely I went off in the corner and laughed my butt off. I really was sorry, but man that was funny.

Schmeck
09-18-2008, 05:41 PM

yes, but don't you touch your kid to get him/her out of the stroller?

livndisney
09-18-2008, 06:05 PM
yes, but don't you touch your kid to get him/her out of the stroller?

Oh you are right, we should but children in a bubble or bubbles as the case may be!:lmao:

Logically, if someone is concerned about the germs a child may come in contact with, it makes sense to reduce the contact. Therefore a child in their own stroller will (in theory) come in contact with less "alien" germs than a child in a store shopping cart. And since we are picking at details, anyone concerned about touching their child with what you now consider germ covered hands (from touching items, money etc.) can use a wipe on their hands BEFORE removing Jr from the stroller.

melancholywings
09-18-2008, 06:43 PM
I can understand using a stroller in a large store or the mall, but not the tiny cramped mall stores, like Spencers. We went in for something last christmas and a family had a huge stroller parked in the row, it couldn't fit through all the isles of the already packed store but this family was determined to make it fit.

We used to take turns going into the store while someone stayed out in the hall with the baby and stroller. Seemed much safer than strangers pushing against the stroller just to try and get out of the store.

minkydog
09-18-2008, 06:54 PM
Oh you are right, we should but children in a bubble or bubbles as the case may be!:lmao:

Logically, if someone is concerned about the germs a child may come in contact with, it makes sense to reduce the contact. Therefore a child in their own stroller will (in theory) come in contact with less "alien" germs than a child in a store shopping cart. And since we are picking at details, anyone concerned about touching their child with what you now consider germ covered hands (from touching items, money etc.) can use a wipe on their hands BEFORE removing Jr from the stroller.

I'm just thinking about how nasty my stroller was before I tossed it :rolleyes1

aschlau
09-18-2008, 06:57 PM
My daughter just HATES shopping carts. I dont know why she is so against the restraints in the carts but not her stroller. If I even walk past them she gets very upset. I am trying to break her of this and sometimes I do pretty well with refocusing her attention and can get some shopping done. Other times, I just use the stoller if I am going in and out or if it is snack time and I need the tray to have a clean surface for her snack. Generally, I use the stroller in the mall and in the larger outdoor shopping centers when I know I am going to more than one store.

Hope this helps!

Dannielle_1
09-18-2008, 07:31 PM
My DS is coming up on 3 and I regularly take him in his stroller into the BIG BOX stores (and occasionally the grocery store). I don't have germ issues with the carts as we regularly use those when I know my shopping needs dictate it, but it is way less of a battle for him to be in his stroller. He's not trying to stand up, or a variety of other unsafe movements, he's not grabbing stuff out of the basket, or now the thing is he doesn't want to be in the cart but wants to walk or stand on the end, but then he's "free." Try doing your general shopping with a curious toddler in tow. :rotfl:

The "battle" stays at the car when strapping him into the stroller. By the time we get to the front doors, he's content to be riding and looking around. He's much more pleasent when in his stroller (even occasionally falls asleep still :) ).

I've never had concerns of someone thinking I'd be stealing. I guess I've figured they can watch me all through the store if they wish and watch me walk up to the registar with my "loot."

mom2jcc
09-18-2008, 07:42 PM
I have been putting my merchandise under the stroller for almost three years now. I'm not worried about what people are thinking because I know I am doing what is best for my situation. I see others using strollers in grocery stores, etc. and never have thought twice about it cause obviously they have their reasons, too. I am also one of those people who don't care if people choose to push their 7 yr. old in a stroller around Disney cause it is not my business;)

akersten
09-18-2008, 07:46 PM
I've brought my stroller into a store with shopping carts only once or twice. Once when DS was sleeping and once to Costco because we were going to eat at their food area. It is easier to feed DS in a stroller than in a cart. I could see bringing a stroller if you were worried about germs getting a baby with a weakened immume system sick, but then I'd probably just wait until DH came home and leave him at home.

Tiffany_MommyOf3
09-18-2008, 08:54 PM
I can understand using a stroller in a large store or the mall, but not the tiny cramped mall stores, like Spencers. We went in for something last christmas and a family had a huge stroller parked in the row, it couldn't fit through all the isles of the already packed store but this family was determined to make it fit.

We used to take turns going into the store while someone stayed out in the hall with the baby and stroller. Seemed much safer than strangers pushing against the stroller just to try and get out of the store.

Yep, we don't go into stores with our huge strollers when we can avoid it - like if I go shopping with hubby - but if I'm alone - I'm going it... stroller and all... if they want my business - they will move some things around a bit. I'm wondering how wheelchairs fit in Spencers?

LovePug
09-18-2008, 09:22 PM
Well personally, I have had a lot of elders come and touch my daughter... and it causes her to regress in her attachment.

Hey Ashley! I didn't know you were on here! (Tamiswaiting from a.com)

3DisneyBuggs
09-18-2008, 10:25 PM
The carts are germy and Id rather have my son be comfy in his stroller. I've taken his stroller into grocery stores, Target etc. I do put stuff in the storage basket but then I pay for it. Stealing would be leaving the store with unpaid items in your basket, not simply storing them there!

melancholywings
09-19-2008, 12:18 AM
Yep, we don't go into stores with our huge strollers when we can avoid it - like if I go shopping with hubby - but if I'm alone - I'm going it... stroller and all... if they want my business - they will move some things around a bit. I'm wondering how wheelchairs fit in Spencers?

I wonder that too. A few of those stores are packed so tightly, add in the holiday crowd and it can get nasty. People pushing and shoving, ugh! I feel for the wheelchair bound. And I hold doors for those pushing strollers - having been there I know how much they can suck - it was such a wonderful feeling when our stroller was passed onto another family. :woohoo:

disney_family_1247
09-19-2008, 02:21 AM
I don't do it routinely, but when I've finally gotten all the way out to the store and turn around to see the baby is asleep, I'm not going to go back home. I have been known to transfer my sleeping two year old from her carseat to the stroller before :thumbsup2 .

SharpMomOfTwo
09-19-2008, 07:39 AM
Well thanks for all your responces.

I guess the germ thing is a real issue for a lot of people, but really not for me. My kids have never been really sick, never hospatilized, and only one has had an ear infection once. I know there are other kids/people out there who are not so lucky. I guess I've also been pretty lucky with my kids NEVER ONCE trying to get out of the carriage - thats the blessing of having all girls! Now getting them to sit still for 5 seconds at home is another story!!!!

Mouse House Mama
09-19-2008, 09:45 AM

I guess the germ thing is a real issue for a lot of people, but really not for me. My kids have never been really sick, never hospatilized, and only one has had an ear infection once. I know there are other kids/people out there who are not so lucky. I guess I've also been pretty lucky with my kids NEVER ONCE trying to get out of the carriage - thats the blessing of having all girls! Now getting them to sit still for 5 seconds at home is another story!!!!

I have to laugh at this!:rotfl: My dd's are both houdinis in the shopping cart! Neither one liked to sit in it and would promptly try to climb out within minutes!:eek: :laughing: You are very lucky that your kids like to sit. :cutie: We use the stroller if I am not planning on buying a lot and basically just taking a stroll around the store with the kids. I also like to use the stroller when I am by myself because it is easier. I don't really worry about germs though. The kids really find the carts to be uncomfortable too.

imthatgirl
09-19-2008, 10:09 AM

we could have the same kids! i have 3, we have also only dealt with 1 ear infection and at that it was an outer ear infection. we didnt even need antibiotics. my children have neevr been on antibiotics for anything. my oldest has had a couple broken bones though, but rarely sick. 1-2 colds a year if that for each of them.
i also consider myself lucky! oh and theyve never tried to get out of a carriage, or anything. and i have 2 boys.
we just use the shopping carts as well.

Tiffany_MommyOf3
09-19-2008, 11:15 AM
My oldest had 1 ear infection - but I think it was because he was bottle fed. Nothing with any of the others ever! We don't use buggys unless we cover them and usually we use the stroller.

mom23sweetgirlies
09-19-2008, 12:23 PM
Then you would have really thought I was weird! I always did my shopping using my double stroller from the time my twin daughters were infants until they were 3 1/2. My reasoning was at certain ages it wasn't safe to put them into the cart, there wasn't enough room for groceries with two in the cart, the carts are dirty and my girls were preemies. I also had an older DD so she usually sat in the seat part of the cart. When I had to bring all three girls shopping I just put my groceries in the bottom of the stroller and a hand cart. At first I was worried people might think I was stealing, but then who cares because I obviously wasn't. At that time my DH had a stupid job so he worked tons of hours and we never knew when he'd be home so I pretty much had no choice but to take all the kids shopping with me. Boy am I glad my girls are old enough to walk along with me now. :D

Aneille
09-19-2008, 01:28 PM
I often bring my stroller into a store because my son who is 2.5 years old will not sit in it.

He is houdini and I haven't found a belt strap that will/can hold him in, no matter how hard I pull it.

He can either wiggle out or unsnap the piece that holds the belt. He does the same to the top clip of his carseat. However he can not get fully out of a 5 pt harness because he can not undo the bottom snap of one. So often if I have to take him in a store he's in the stroller.

nikkers
09-19-2008, 02:01 PM
One time my son got hand, mouth and foot disease. He was about 7 months. He had canker sores in his mouth and ran a 103 temp. The only thing we had done was go grocery shopping. We are pretty sure it was from the cart.

LauraP22
09-19-2008, 03:12 PM
I don't worry about germs a lot, but I do use my stroller sometimes in big box stores. My kiddos are 13 months apart and both love to walk. Neither likes riding in a cart if they don't have to. They think they aren't comfy. I can put both of them in the stroller vs. only one in the cart and that makes things a bit more fair.

I stow stuff under the stroller all the time and have never had anyone look at me cross eyed. This will sound silly but I don't worry about strangers getting the wrong idea about me stealing as much as I worry about my toddlers thinking we just put things we want into our stroller. So I make a point of telling them "we will put this here until we get to the registers and can pay for it" and "lets check and make sure we didn't miss anything in the bottom of the stroller so we pay for everything"

SharpMomOfTwo
09-19-2008, 05:12 PM
One time my son got hand, mouth and foot disease. He was about 7 months. He had canker sores in his mouth and ran a 103 temp. The only thing we had done was go grocery shopping. We are pretty sure it was from the cart.

My DD is getting over that right now - but ours was from the Disney Store!!!

2Princes2Princesses
09-19-2008, 05:25 PM

Adults usually show no symptoms of HFMD. You or DH could have picked it up at work from another adult and passed it on or any adult in contact with your child could have given it to him if they were infected and secreting the virus.

Just FYI about that. We have had moms who think if they only use their own things, their kids won't catch viruses, but sometimes mom or dad bring them home and never know it. :)

We used the carts. But if I had a "mouther (you know the kids who put their mouths on EVERYTHING)" I never would have. Our kids have walked for the most part, though, once they could. I don't think we ever used the stroller once they could sit up well.

As far as how that worked out for us. They have had a few colds. DD15 and DD13 had the chicken pox when the oldest was in Kindergarten. DS3 has asthma, so he goes in occasionally for that. Otherwise, the only doctor visits we have had that were not for yearly physicals were a knee sprain, and one for each of my youngest when they wiped out and put teeth through their lips...oh, and DS13 had 3 stitches once. :thumbsup2