PDA

View Full Version : Disney Store Backpacks?!?

maryannlandin
09-17-2008, 05:54 PM
So, I was thinking about buying the lunch tote that matches the Disney Princess backpack that is being sold at Disney Stores (we have the princess one and the Ariel one). I noticed a warning message about the tote and sure enough there is one for the backpacks too. Any one know what its about? Here is what it says:

WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

I'm a little worried!

tchrrx
09-17-2008, 06:06 PM
I'm not sure, but I think there's a whole lot of products that carry that warning. I think CA has a really strict law about something. I wouldn't worry about it. (Of course, I'm not one to worry about a lot...)

justwinnie
09-17-2008, 08:06 PM
I had wondered about this warning too, so I had done a quick websearch about it. There's a law in California called Proposition 65 and there's a whole list (18 pages long!) of chemicals that may be carcinogenic.

This company has a FAQ about it.

http://www8.garmin.com/prop65/

I've seen the warning on everything... from extension cords to lunchboxes.

Hope that helps....

MickeyMomOfThree
09-17-2008, 08:09 PM
Wow, I bought these at the Disney Store and never saw anything. My 2 younger kids both use these everyday (lunchboxes and backpacks). Thanks for the link...

natnelliesmom
09-17-2008, 08:16 PM
Our families are exposed to more and more chemicals every year. From shampoo and toothpaste to detergents and air fresheners. It's no wonder that allergies, asthma and even Autism are increasing in frequency.
Any time I can choose a safer product- I do.
There are so many backpacks and lunch packs out there that don't carry any warnings. Why do you need to choose one that does? :confused3
If no one buys the unsafe backpacks- the company will be forced to make them safer.
Just my two cents.
-Sarah

imthatgirl
09-17-2008, 08:24 PM
its lead. in cali if even a trace amount of lead is used it needs a warning. the lead is most likely in the piping that gives something shape.
i wouldnt worry about it. its in everything. every extention cord, hairdryer cord, cord of any kind including all xmas items has lead in it. its what makes the cord pliable.

imthatgirl
09-17-2008, 08:26 PM
Our families are exposed to more and more chemicals every year. From shampoo and toothpaste to detergents and air fresheners. It's no wonder that allergies, asthma and even Autism are increasing in frequency.
There are so many backpacks and lunch packs out there that don't carry any warnings. Why do you need to choose one that does? :confused3
If no one buys the unsafe backpacks- the company will be forced to make them safer.
Just my two cents.
-Sarah

most likely the other backpack isnt being sold in cali. or they have decided to only ship them with warnings to cali.
you cant escape lead.

maryannlandin
09-17-2008, 09:05 PM
Just my two cents.
-Sarah

I had no idea that the warning even existed until I went online to buy the matching lunch tote (which are under 3 bucks now, btw). I saw the warning on the tote and immediately checked the back pack.

Thanks for all the responces. I feel a little better, but I am still freaked out!

princessmom29
09-17-2008, 09:06 PM
Just my two cents.
-Sarah
Ok, I am a biochemist turned teacher and here is the truth behind the bichemistry of this whole "chemicals" argument. Everything that you come into contact with including your own body is made of chemicals.Synthetic chemicals , which are tha class of chemicals you are actually referring to are created in the lab from things that are already in existence in nature. You can't make something out of nothing, and all matter on earth is "naturally occuring" in its original form. Yes there are man made chemicals that are harmful, but there are also naturally occuring carcinogens ( radium, uranium, radon, even carbon 14 in our own bodies) that people have been coming into contact with since humans evolved. The warnings required in the state of california are in my view excessive. If anything has ever been proven in even one lab animal to cause cancer in ANY amount even 1000's of times what the average human would be exposed to in their lifetime it must be on that list. There is no valid statistical study that I have read that links " chemical exposure" to Autism and asthma and allegies are triggered by BOTH natural and synthetic environmental factors.

princessmom29
09-17-2008, 09:07 PM
I had no idea that the warning even existed until I went online to buy the matching lunch tote (which are under 3 bucks now, btw). I saw the warning on the tote and immediately checked the back pack.

Thanks for all the responces. I feel a little better, but I am still freaked out!

Please don't be. It really is nothing to worry about!