PDA

View Full Version : In room sitting...what do they do?

diz_princess
09-17-2008, 04:34 PM
Hi,
We are heading to WDW in a couple of weeks. I need a sitter to watch my child. He will be sleeping in our room when we need a sitter. Does the sitter just "sit" there and read while the child is sleeping? I mean that's what they are there for, right?
Also, is there a sticky topic with in room sitting options like who to call? Or a link to a page of the info? Maybe even what sitters are recommended?
Thanks!

Missin'Disney
09-17-2008, 04:36 PM
Yes, Disney endorses Kid's Night Out. It isn't cheap, but they've got great feedback. There is also Fairy Godmother's & I've heard good things about them too.

Good luck!

natnelliesmom
09-17-2008, 05:46 PM
I, too, am wondering about this. What does the sitter do once the kids are asleep? Sit there in the semi-darkness and stare at the wall? :confused3
We'll be in a 1-bedroom villa on our next trip- so this should be okay for us- but how does it work in a regular room?
Has anyone done this before?
-Sarah

Trinity524
09-17-2008, 06:00 PM
You may want to look here....

http://land.allears.net/reviewpost/showproduct.php?product=512&cat=153

diz_princess
09-18-2008, 11:36 AM
Thanks!

CandCMommy
09-18-2008, 03:29 PM
We used KNO two weeks ago and once my two DS's were sleeping she pulled her chair up right in front of the TV and watched TV. I didn't have a problem with it because if I were there I would be doing the same thing but I'd be laying on the bed instead of sitting in the chair.

mjhd
09-18-2008, 05:23 PM
Okay, I can no longer recommend Fairy Godmothers after this last trip. We had used them previously with great success. I requested the same person (who read a book after the kids went to sleep) but she was unavailable. I was assured that I would get a great sitter nonetheless.

Our sitter arrived and talked, and talked, and talked to us. Finally we leave after clearly stating our rules and "allowed" things to both the sitter & the kids. When we came back, the sitter was sleeping in our bed under the spread!!!!! I was furious! I was so tired and upset that I just wanted her to leave. At this point I pay her and then she keeps talking and talking and talking to dh. Since the kids are starting to move around, I notice they don't even have their pj's on! So I wake them up to change and what do I notice? A big chocolate spot on ds's new white shirt! Where did the chocolate come from? I did not authorize a snack that was chocolate...oh, sitter took us to get ice cream at the food court. WHAT!?!? How did she pay? For dd & ds she used the room key and charged the ice cream to our DDP snack credits! Sorry for ranting, but I just cannot believe this. I debated whether to call the head lady, but I knew it would just end up putting a dark cloud over the rest of our trip and then when I got home I just had too much going on to bother. I know there's something else she did that I was angry about but I cannot remember it now.

I hope this helps others when deciding on a service or clarifying things with the sitter before you leave. I just can't believe I received this kind of service from a "professional."

CandCMommy
09-18-2008, 05:29 PM
Okay, I can no longer recommend Fairy Godmothers after this last trip. We had used them previously with great success. I requested the same person (who read a book after the kids went to sleep) but she was unavailable. I was assured that I would get a great sitter nonetheless.

Our sitter arrived and talked, and talked, and talked to us. Finally we leave after clearly stating our rules and "allowed" things to both the sitter & the kids. When we came back, the sitter was sleeping in our bed under the spread!!!!! I was furious! I was so tired and upset that I just wanted her to leave. At this point I pay her and then she keeps talking and talking and talking to dh. Since the kids are starting to move around, I notice they don't even have their pj's on! So I wake them up to change and what do I notice? A big chocolate spot on ds's new white shirt! Where did the chocolate come from? I did not authorize a snack that was chocolate...oh, sitter took us to get ice cream at the food court. WHAT!?!? How did she pay? For dd & ds she used the room key and charged the ice cream to our DDP snack credits! Sorry for ranting, but I just cannot believe this. I debated whether to call the head lady, but I knew it would just end up putting a dark cloud over the rest of our trip and then when I got home I just had too much going on to bother. I know there's something else she did that I was angry about but I cannot remember it now.

I hope this helps others when deciding on a service or clarifying things with the sitter before you leave. I just can't believe I received this kind of service from a "professional."

If you have time, I would still call or write a letter to FG's. This is unacceptable and it could happen to someone else if the proper people are not notified and this issue taken care of with the sitter. I would be FURIOUS!!!

starann
09-18-2008, 05:30 PM
MJHD....It's not too late to complain about this 'sitter'. Her behavior was UNACCEPTABLE and the only way for the FG company to know about it is for you to complain.

I doubt at this late point in the game will get anything back for it (although they may credit your CC back if that is how you paid) but I always tell people, 'We can't fix a problem unless it is there' (in my work).

Missin'Disney
09-18-2008, 05:43 PM
I agree that you NEED to let the owner/manager of FG know about what went on. That is insane!

Sorry you went through that.

jodifla
09-18-2008, 07:05 PM

Wow! I would call the owner and tell her. She needs to know. This is completely unacceptable, and I'm a pretty lenient person!

What was the sitter's name? I use FG every year and want to make sure I don't get her! PM me if you can.

Thanks,
jodifla

daleswife
09-18-2008, 09:10 PM
how much does this cost???

mjhd
09-18-2008, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone (and hope OP doesn't thinking I'm "stealing" her thread!). I thought maybe I was simply overreacting. I will write a letter letting them know of the issues. The sitter's name was Anne. Fairy Godmothers was $16/hr (min 4 hrs) + $14 travel charge I believe.

jodifla
09-19-2008, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone (and hope OP doesn't thinking I'm "stealing" her thread!). I thought maybe I was simply overreacting. I will write a letter letting them know of the issues. The sitter's name was Anne. Fairy Godmothers was $16/hr (min 4 hrs) + $14 travel charge I believe.

Thanks for the heads up. We've used FG about 8 times, and always had great experiences.