PDA

View Full Version : Question about HPT!

CandCMommy
09-17-2008, 10:48 AM
So...I took two HPT's last night, you know the kind where two lines is PG and one line is not PG. Well, both of them had a very faint second line. Does this mean it's positive? I know the only way to tell for sure is to go get a blood test, but I can't do that until tonight and not knowing right now is killing me. So what has your experience been with these tests and one light line along with the test line? I think I already know the answer but I just need some reassurance.

We're kinda freaking right now because this was a complete uh oh! Thanks Disfriends, I have no one else to ask because I need to process this myself before I talk to my friends/family.

pls5286
09-17-2008, 10:50 AM
If it is faint, it sounds like it is positive, you may want to try to take one with your first morning urinie, as there is a higher concentration of HCG, the pregnancy hormone, because you have been holding your urine all night long.

erinmomof2
09-17-2008, 10:51 AM
I had the same thing happen for my second pregnancy. I took about 4 tests and all of them were very faint second lines. I too went to take the blood test and I was pregnant. I don't think it matters how faint the line is if it's there you're probably pregnant.

delmar411
09-17-2008, 10:52 AM
a line is a line is a line. You're pregnant.

:hug:

Luv Bunnies
09-17-2008, 10:56 AM
I agree that a line is a line! You'll definitely want to get a blood test done to be sure. But, in the meantime, consider yourself pregnant! Congratulations! You're having another little friend to take to WDW!!!!:)

DISNEYFOS
09-17-2008, 11:13 AM
So I agree with others than you should test with first morning urine because its the most concentrated and see if the line is darker. Faint or not..its positive.

I did get a faint line once..that got fainter and then my period came. I think they refer to that as a chemical pregnancy were technically every was fertilized but didn't implant properly etc... but I would say thats probably rare.

I would take another in the morning then schedule a blood test to be sure.

Best wishes

momz3
09-17-2008, 11:16 AM
Positive. Happened to me. Finally was determined by a blood test. You most likely are very early on.....

Good Luck!!

CandCMommy
09-17-2008, 11:16 AM
That's what I thought but DH doesn't want to believe it because it's not a dark line like it was with our other two DS's. Wow, I don't really know what to think right now. I have all these emotions going through my head because this sure wasn't planned. Processing, processing, processing...

Thanks, guys for your quick responses, I knew I could count on you!

CandCMommy
09-17-2008, 11:31 AM
So I agree with others than you should test with first morning urine because its the most concentrated and see if the line is darker. Faint or not..its positive.

I did get a faint line once..that got fainter and then my period came. I think they refer to that as a chemical pregnancy were technically every was fertilized but didn't implant properly etc... but I would say thats probably rare.

I would take another in the morning then schedule a blood test to be sure.

Best wishes

Will definitely test with morning urine tomorrow. I shouldn't have taken both of them last night and waited and done one this morning but the suspense was killing me.

All the signs are there, 6 days late, extremely tired, a couple of days of light bleeding-which I had last time during implantation.

pigget74
09-17-2008, 01:19 PM
I was 10 days late and took a home one. It showed positive--I was freaking out since DH had the "V" done last November. I went for a blood test and it was negative. Started 5 days later. It is common to get a false positive. Not as common as a false negative, but it does happen.

brokenlola
09-17-2008, 01:31 PM
Mine were always faint. Congrats on the new addition!

~Jackie

snickerboo
09-17-2008, 01:32 PM
Yes, a faint line just means you don't have that much HCG (hormone the test measures yet) but any of that hormone means there's something growing there.

Good luck!

nuts4wdw
09-17-2008, 01:46 PM
Yes, it sounds positive to me! If you want to pour over pics in the privacy of your own home a great site is peeonastick (dot) com It describes false positives and negatives, it is a great site to obsess at. I know, I suffered from secondary infertility with this one I'm pregnant with.

CandCMommy
09-17-2008, 01:49 PM
Yes, it sounds positive to me! If you want to pour over pics in the privacy of your own home a great site is peeonastick (dot) com It describes false positives and negatives, it is a great site to obsess at. I know, I suffered from secondary infertility with this one I'm pregnant with.

I'll definitey have to check out that site! Sounds interesting.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and support!

t-beri
09-17-2008, 02:03 PM
No such thing as a false postive. Any line is a line...CONGRATULATIONS my dear!

pigget74
09-17-2008, 02:11 PM
No such thing as a false postive. Any line is a line...CONGRATULATIONS my dear!

Not TRUE!!! There are false positives--I had one last month. Asked the Dr. about it after I finally calmed down--it happens more than you think. People do not talk about them near as much as false negatives--had that as well three years ago at the Dr.'s office (took one at home it was positive--went to the Dr. late that afternoon it was negative---two weeks later went back and it was positive.)

The test that I used and got a false positive was one that gave the answer as PREGNANT or NOT PREGNANT. Did not want to take my chance on the lines ...

Only a blood test is 100% accurate.

bumbershoot
09-17-2008, 09:44 PM
No such thing as a false postive.

In my endocrinology classes I learned that unless a test is faulty, if you get a positive you're either pregnant or you have a tumor that is creating HCG. So while you can get a positive if you're not pregnant, it's b/c you've got a tumor...

princessmom29
09-17-2008, 09:46 PM
In my endocrinology classes I learned that unless a test is faulty, if you get a positive you're either pregnant or you have a tumor that is creating HCG. So while you can get a positive if you're not pregnant, it's b/c you've got a tumor...

Biochemist here. You are absolutely correct. If the test is malfunctioning you will not see the correct control lines. If the control lines are correct you are producing HCG.

starann
09-18-2008, 07:22 AM
so....did you test today?!?!?!

momz3
09-18-2008, 08:12 AM
What's the result...........:rolleyes1

purvislets
09-18-2008, 09:33 AM
Even a faint line counts as a positive! With this pregnancy, the first test I took was extremely faint. Two days later I bought a digital and it said "Pregnant". Just had my first ultrasound yesterday and we have a healthy little jelly bean bouncing around in there.

Best of luck today! Let us know what happens!

CandCMommy
09-18-2008, 01:08 PM
So...I took two more tests, one last night and one this morning with first urine and both of them came back with a faint second line. Called my dr and just went in and had my blood drawn. I'll have the results back in 4-6 hours. I'll keep you posted and let you all know once I find out! :scared1:

Thanks for checking back with me!

CandCMommy
09-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Duh Duh duhhhhhh... The results are in:

P O S I T I V E!

As usual, you were all right. Wow, I just found out and it's still sinking in. Since it was unexpected I'm sure it will take a little while.

Thanks everyone for taking my little journey with me!

momz3
09-18-2008, 05:24 PM
Congrats! And good Luck!!

delmar411
09-18-2008, 05:52 PM

P O S I T I V E!

As usual, you were all right. Wow, I just found out and it's still sinking in. Since it was unexpected I'm sure it will take a little while.

Congrats! Hoep you have a H&H9mths!! :goodvibes

Ellester
09-18-2008, 07:55 PM
Congratulations! :banana:

pigget74
09-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Congratulations!!!!

Eeyore's Wife
09-18-2008, 08:17 PM
:dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3:

How wonderful!

What a BLESSING.

:dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3::dance3: :dance3::dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3:

mommy2lt
09-18-2008, 08:34 PM
Congrats ! And just be thankful that you CAN get pregnant. I was only 24 when I had my DS (3) and that took a year of waiting and finally giving in to fertility drugs. Now we are trying for #2 and so far no such luck. I know this wasn't expected but sometimes life's greatest blessings are surprises !! Enjoy your newest little one !!!

natnelliesmom
09-18-2008, 09:34 PM
Congratulations- you're pregnant! A faint line is still a line. There are no false positives- only false negatives.
YAYYY!!!!!:dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3:
I love babies! What a wonderful surprise.
-Sarah

ColleenG
09-18-2008, 09:58 PM
All the signs are there, 6 days late, extremely tired, a couple of days of light bleeding-which I had last time during implantation.

Oh yeah, you're pregnant! Same thing happened to me with #4. Felt sick to my stomach and exhausted for over a week. I started freaking out that there was something seriously wrong with me. Then did a HPT and got a faint line. Did another one the next day and still got a faint line. Figured I was PG and tried another one when I was closer to when I should have gotten my period and the second line came up as soon as the pee hit the stick.

Tisha_PA
09-19-2008, 06:55 AM
Did you read the test during the time limit stated on the box? You can get a false positive if you read the test after the time limit. I would suggest taking a test with FMU and make sure you read it within 5 minutes of taking it.

starann
09-19-2008, 12:19 PM

P O S I T I V E!

Looks like you will have a wee little one with you on your net trip!! LOL! Congrats!

Avonlady1001
09-19-2008, 01:24 PM
Congrats!!! I found out we were pregnant in February! Had to cancel our free bounceback dining trip...we were supposed be in WDW all next week! LOL Baby ruined it...can't fly at 37 weeks. :goodvibes :rotfl2:

Hope you have a happy & healthy pregnancy and a happy & healthy baby!

purvislets
09-19-2008, 09:36 PM

P O S I T I V E!

:dance3: :yay: Congratulations!! :yay: :dance3:

Congratulations- you're pregnant! A faint line is still a line. There are no false positives- only false negatives.
YAYYY!!!!!:dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3:
I love babies! What a wonderful surprise.
-Sarah

This is not technically true. While rare, there are false positives that can occur due to faulty tests or chemical pregnancies.

MickeyMomOfThree
09-19-2008, 09:50 PM

P O S I T I V E!

I just came across this and thought I'd tell you this to make it less of a :scared1: maybe.

DH and I always said we'd have 2 kids. After 2 he went to schedule the big snip. He had to wait because our insurance required you to have 3 kids, be at least 30, or wait one year. While waiting, guess what??? Well, my little suprise is 6 now, and my life without her would be... I can't even imagine. A power higher than me felt 3 was the right number for me and I am so greatful. She is such an amazing little girl and I am SOOOOOO glad for that insurance rule. She was and is the greatest surprise that I ever got and I know your little one will be that for you too. Best Wishes to your family...

ChillyWilleys
09-20-2008, 08:03 AM
Did you read the test during the time limit stated on the box? You can get a false positive if you read the test after the time limit. I would suggest taking a test with FMU and make sure you read it within 5 minutes of taking it.

I just recently had an incident a couple months ago. Didn't even think I was pregnant, Aunt flow wasn't due for another 5 days but I had a test and just took it for some random reason. Of course it was negative after the required 5 minutes. So I hop in the shower and start my day. Probably about a half hour later I look at the test and my eyes jump out of my head when I see a faint line. I try and calm myself because it was past the 10 minutes so it must be innaccurate. I went out and bought a digital for a no question answer, didn't want to deal with "is that a line, how long has it been?" So got that knowing it will be negative, I hear the beep and "pregnant". Second test agreed. 15 weeks along now.

CandCMommy
09-20-2008, 06:00 PM
I just came across this and thought I'd tell you this to make it less of a :scared1: maybe.

DH and I always said we'd have 2 kids. After 2 he went to schedule the big snip. He had to wait because our insurance required you to have 3 kids, be at least 30, or wait one year. While waiting, guess what??? Well, my little suprise is 6 now, and my life without her would be... I can't even imagine. A power higher than me felt 3 was the right number for me and I am so greatful. She is such an amazing little girl and I am SOOOOOO glad for that insurance rule. She was and is the greatest surprise that I ever got and I know your little one will be that for you too. Best Wishes to your family...

Once we got over the initial shock we got pretty excited. After getting home from WDW last week, we decided that two was enough for us. No more trying to decide about #3, well little did we know that #3 was already on its way. Since we so desperately wanted a little girl, maybe this was God's way of giving us that gift that we otherwise probably wouldn't of had. Of course as long as it's healthy I'll be okay, but just the remote possibility that this could be my little girl has me sooo excited. `

Thanks everyone for all your comments and stories, I love to hear them all. Anyone else have anything they would like to share?

CandCMommy
09-28-2008, 03:02 PM
I had this whole thing typed and somehow deleted it! Argh...

This thread is about to take a downward spiral. On Tuesday I started spotting and went to the DR on Thursday for an ultrasound. We found out there was no sack visible on the ultrasound which was not possible for someone that was to be 6 weeks pregnant. In talking to the nurse we found out the three possibilities: ectopic pregnancy, a pregnancy that isn't viable or a pregnancy that is very early on. The only way to tell would be to have my blood drawn. The number came back at 620 which meant-no ectopic-thank god. The only way to tell which of the others it was was to have my blood drawn on Saturday to see which way the numbers were going. I haven't heard back from the dr on those results but I don't think I need to, I know what's happening since I started bleeding more.

This is my first miscarriage and I'm doing surprisingly well. I had my moments on Thursday and Friday but I've finally come to accept the fact. I guess I never thought this would happen to me but it did. I'm just glad that this happened when it did because I couldn't imagine this happening any further along, and that I'm thankful for. Well, my friends, I just wanted to let you know what has been going on with me for the last roller coaster of a week. Since you were there in the beginning, I thought it only fair you were there in the end. Thanks for listening.

mommyofboys
09-28-2008, 03:21 PM
I know exactly how you feel...a month ago I was 6 days late. I had my tubes tied after my youngest was born 3 1/2 years ago and have never been late. I took a test and the same thing - a faint line took another the next morning and same thing. I was in complete shock - just like you. We weren't planning on another, but if it was meant to be I was ok with it. Well 2 days later I started bleeding and they believe that I miscarried.

It is amazing that this was something that you weren't planning, but accepted with open arms and it the blink of an eye it is gone and still it breaks your heart because you were already thinking of the future. Like you I have 2 boys (and a stepson) and the thought of a girl was wonderful.

Hugs and prayers to you during this difficult time.:grouphug:

miprender
09-28-2008, 03:45 PM
:grouphug: I was reading along and so sorry for you. Ditto for the PP.

I know when I was pregnant with our first, I was on Clomid and trying hard to get pregnant. I took a pregnancy test and the line was so faint I thought I was seeing things. So I must have tried everyone HPT on the market. For some reason, my OBGYN, wont even see you until you think you are twelve weeks along. That was the longest 12 weeks of my life.

delmar411
09-28-2008, 03:54 PM
I'm sorry about your loss. :hug:

LilGMom
09-28-2008, 05:59 PM

I'm sorry to hear this, you are in my thoughts. :hug:

Avonlady1001
09-28-2008, 06:07 PM
I am so sorry for your loss! :hug:

wilderness01
09-28-2008, 06:14 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss.

DISNEYFOS
09-28-2008, 06:49 PM
I'm very sorry for your loss.

pigget74
09-28-2008, 07:06 PM
I am sorry for your loss. I also lost one very early on and it does not make it any easier. :hug:

ColleenG
09-28-2008, 09:52 PM
So sorry to hear what you are going through. :grouphug:

1rockinmamato2
09-29-2008, 08:34 AM
I'm so sorry you're going through this, too.

And those of us who have had ectopic pregnancies and early or late miscarriages know that this isn't easy either.

hoosiergirl7
09-29-2008, 09:12 AM
Sorry to hear about the miscarriage. :grouphug:

I've been through it and I know how hard it is. I am high risk and my Dr's only gave me one chance at having a baby. If I wanted more then I was going to adopt. I was told a long time ago, NO babies were possible but as I hit my early 20's and got married I was given the OK for 1 pregnancy.

DH and I got pg on the first try with the help of Clomid. The pregnancy was going well and I was already showing by the end of the 1st trimester. Went out and bought maternity clothes because my pants just didn't want to fit anymore.

I went on vacation with my mom and sister in early April. Woke up from having a dream/nightmare that I was having a miscarriage. Went to the bathroom all was fine. A week later we were meeting with my high-risk OB who was going to be doing regular ultrasounds and they wanted to do one that day to figure out exactly how pregnant I was. It was determined that I was 13 weeks and a few days along but there was no heartbeat. I was devastated. A week goes buy and still no "official" miscarriage. So I head back to Dr's office to have another ultrasound done to make sure there wasn't a mistake. Still no heartbeat and had to have a D & C scheduled. After that forget it. I wanted nothing to do with babies. It didn't help that we got the initial news the day before DH's birthday. It took a long time to recover from that.

Anyhow, it took us almost 4 yrs later to adopt our DS who will be 5 in December. We're patiently waiting for #2 but unfortunately God has other plans right now. It's really hard since DH turned 40 this year and we had been hoping to be finished with our family by now. Adoption is really hard and even though I know pregnancy in a lot of cases is no picnic be thankful your body allows a human being to grow inside. Wish mine did.

CandCMommy
09-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Thanks for all the kind words. :hug: It helps to know that I'm not the only one who has been through this and others know how I feel. It's funny because DH was reading over my shoulder and said, you told the people on the DIS that you had a miscarriage and I said of course I did, they were there with me in the beginning, they're going to be there with me in the end. He just doesn't get it. Thanks again everyone, it really does help!

In the words of Cornelius Robinson I'm going to "Keep Moving Forward".

thegrimdwarf
09-29-2008, 10:32 AM

P O S I T I V E!

Aw - I'm just getting to this thread now. I was going to say it sounds like you're pregnant - but I guess you know that now ;) . Congrats!

mickeyboat
09-29-2008, 10:39 AM
I am sorry for your loss. :hug:

Denae

thegrimdwarf
09-29-2008, 11:20 AM
Thanks for all the kind words. :hug: It helps to know that I'm not the only one who has been through this and others know how I feel. It's funny because DH was reading over my shoulder and said, you told the people on the DIS that you had a miscarriage and I said of course I did, they were there with me in the beginning, they're going to be there with me in the end. He just doesn't get it. Thanks again everyone, it really does help!

In the words of Cornelius Robinson I'm going to "Keep Moving Forward".

OMG, I feel terrible. I should have gone through the entire thread before commenting. I'm sorry for your loss.