PDA

View Full Version : Earache - Leaving on Thursday...

Tinker'n'Fun
09-16-2008, 11:09 PM
So I know it's usually the kids, but I have been the one under the weather. I was at the Dr's today do to abdominal pain... One sonogram and xray later, I was cleared to go... But I forgot to tell him my ear hurt. It feels like there is fluid, but not too sure... Would you go back to the Dr's and ask to look at your ear or is it too late to start something...

Does anyone have any suggestions... I did the neti pot tonight and took an alavert.

thanks for any suggestions you may have, Diane

AuroraBeauty
09-17-2008, 02:13 AM
Definitely go back to Dr. about your ear. If you do have something you can at least start antibiotics and not have to worry about it escalating while on vacation.

Also, air travel with ear pain can be dangerous.

I know you didn't plan for this in your schedule but if you have to go to the ER while in FL then find a pharmacy it will take more time, more money and it will put a dent in your fun.

tink2dw
09-17-2008, 04:32 AM
Look at the pharmacy's to see if there is a product that helps ears on flights.

Do you Have WalGreen stores?

See the red titles

http://a1061.g.akamai.net/7/1061/5412/home/www.walgreens.com/dbimagecache/430423.jpg

Description

Flight ear discomfort.
Relieves air pressure discomfort and harsh noises.
Tested by U.S. Navy pilots.
Approved by flight attendants.
Safe, soft, disposable.
Performance guaranteed.
World's No. 1 seller!
Made of soft hypoallergenic, latex free silicone.
This pack contains one pair of disposable EarPlanes good for one round-trip flight.

Also great for mountain driving.
Noise Reduction Rating: 20 Decibels - when used as directed.
The range of noise reduction ratings for existing hearing protectors is approximately 0 to 30.
Higher numbers denote greater effectiveness.
CE Listed.
Made in USA.

More Brands - Walgreens, Nexcare, EarPlanes, Flents, Hearos, Mack's

1. Great for kids!
on 9/6/2008
Pros:Easy To Use, Gentle, Effective, Safe
Best Uses:Travel
Describe Yourself:Light Sleeper

Bottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
Our kids are too young to know how to "pop" their ears when we fly. Previous flights were painful on my daughter's ears and I couldn't see putting her through that again, but when I heard about these I thought I'd give them a try. They worked fabulously! The come in kid and adult sizes and only need to be worn during take off and landing, but are fine to leave in for the entire flight. Each box contains 1 pair that may be used round trip. I used them on a 6 and 2 year old without any problems.

2. Saved me!
relieved from New Brunswick, Canada on 1/24/2008
Pros:Gentle, Easy To Use, Effective
Best Uses:Travel, Ear Ache
Describe Yourself:Earache Prone

I flew to California and got an ear infection while I was there. I was advised to not fly home with my ear like it was, but a nurse told me about these. I tried them on the flight home as I could not postpone travel and they worked so well! No exploded eardrum!

3. Great product
on 8/17/2007
Pros:Easy To Use, Safe, Gentle, Effective
Cons:None
Best Uses:Air Pressure Discomfort

I use to need to have tubes inserted in my ears to fly $$$$. The key to these being effective is to make sure your sinus passages are clear.

Instructions

Before inserting, pinch nose and blow to clear you ears.
For best results, always insert EarPlanes one hour before landing.
Remove after landing and when the cabin door is opened.
Chronic sufferers may also insert Ear Planes just before takeoff.
EarPlanes may be removed when the airplane reaches maximum altitude and reinserted one hour before landing.

For maximum results, use your opposite hand to pull the top of your ear upward. Insert the ribbed end and turn like a corkscrew until snug.
Do not reuse after two flights since pollen, dust, and moisture will reduce effectiveness.

DISNEYFOS
09-17-2008, 05:53 AM
I think your flying right? Cheektowaga is in Upstate NY right?

I would definitely go back to the doctor and get an antibiotic if you have ear pain (and it turns out to be an infection). Getting on a plane with any fluid in your middle ear will just be excutiating....I had a sinus infection when I was pregnant and flew to the Bahamas...lots of pressure a little bit of pain on the plane..But I tell you..that night..I thought my head was going to explode..I had the worse sinus headache I have ever experience. woke up screaming.

Please go back...

TinkandAriel
09-17-2008, 10:08 AM
our last trip, the day before we left the smallish one woke up saying her ear hurt. One dr trip later, he said he normally wouldn't even give antibiotics for such a slight ear infection, but bc we were leaving on vaca, he gave her a 10 day dose. This is the kid who has had double ear infections before and never made a peep. Someone was watching over us that day, I tell ya.
Just make sure you really let the security agents know, bc I said to the first one in line "oh, there's antibiotics in there" and he was all preoccupied and says "mmhmm..." until the bag went through and alarms went off everyone freaked out for a moment....