PDA

View Full Version : Harvest instead of Halloween?

Louisianafive
09-16-2008, 02:09 PM
How many of you do not "celebrate" Halloween - opting for Harvest Festivals or Parties?

We do not allow our children to wear "scary" costumes and we prefer Harvest Festivals at church or in the neighborhood.

Am I the only one who is not ashamed to admit this?

imthatgirl
09-16-2008, 02:11 PM
not us we love halloween, but im also not a christian so i have no relgious ties to the holiday.

princessmom29
09-16-2008, 02:14 PM
I don't like the scary costumes just because they don't appeal to me and i don't like DD getting scared by them, but I have no problem with halloween itself. It was not in its original form a satanic, scary, or occult holiday. I know a lot of ppl object on religious grounds, but I am christian and have done the research into its origins. I choose to look on it as a vehicle used to convert the Druids to christianity that has sice been incorporated into the christian calendar as the eve of all saints day, all hallows eve. I see it as a great way to do just what the druids intended it for, celebrate the harvest and the blessings it brings.

CJ's Mommy
09-16-2008, 02:15 PM
No, you are not the only one.

I hate all things spooky/scary for Halloween. My DSalmost4 is absolutely terrified of the blow up spooky things on display in Sam's Club. We have to run through the store to avoid them or he has a meltdown.

We dress up in costumes all year long, and if he would like to dress up in something on Halloween I will allow it as long as it is not spooky (which he wouldn't like anyway).

I LOVE the fall and HATE how fall stuff gets overrun with Halloween stuff. It's silly. Also, I would NEVER allow my children to eat candy/snacks from strangers any other day of the year, so I will certainly not allow it on that day either. :eek:

imthatgirl
09-16-2008, 02:17 PM
I don't like the scary costumes just because they don't appeal to me and i don't like DD getting scard by them, but I have no problem with halloween. I know a lot of ppl object on religious grounds, but I am christian and have done the research into its origins. I choose to look on it as a vehicle used to convert the Druids to christianity that has sice been incorporated into the christian calendar as the eve of all saints day, all hallows eve and see it as a great way to do just what the druids intended it for, celebrate the harvest and the blessings it brings.

by druids, do you mean pagans?

princessmom29
09-16-2008, 02:24 PM
by druids, do you mean pagans?

PAGANS???? That is an afully antiquated and narrowminded word to use, but if by pagan you mean non-christian then yes the druids were not a christian people to begin with, but neither were the Jews, or Muslims, or Buddists, but I wouldn't call them pagans. The Druids were a people who believed in a higher power that made itself known through the wonders of nture. They celebrated what we call halloween to thank that higher power for the gifts of the harvest, and to honor it. I call that worship not paganism. Just because they didn't use the word god does not me that is not who they were worshipping.

ScrapperBelle
09-16-2008, 02:24 PM
We do celebrate Halloween, but it's not anything crazy. We just take the kids trick or treating (we live in a rural area, so it's only about 20 houses and relatives), and then we come home and have a big bonfire and roast hot dogs and marshmallows. My kids have never wanted to dress up in anything really gross or disturbing, so I haven't had to deal with that.

I also like harvest festivals and fairs, but I think they're something entirely different than Halloween. I like Halloween because it can be enjoyed by everyone. It's kinda like Thanksgiving and the 4th...something we can all enjoy regardless of what religion you are.

I will say that I do not like going to a party store and instead of finding cute, festive decorations everything involves severed heads, various instruments of torture, and enough fake blood to sink a ship.

That's ok for grown ups if they want to do it, but I do believe it's just a bit much for little ones.

imthatgirl
09-16-2008, 02:34 PM
PAGANS???? That is an afully antiquated and narrowminded word to use, but if by pagan you mean non-christian then yes the druids were not a christian people to begin with, but neither were the Jews, or Muslims, or Buddists, but I wouldn't call them pagans. The Druids were a people who believed in a higher power that made itself known through the wonders of nture. They celebrated what we call halloween to thank that higher power for the gifts of the harvest, and to honor it. I call that worship not paganism. Just because they didn't use the word god does not me that is not who they were worshipping.

i am pagan, thats my religion, i didnt know you considered it an insult. maybe i should be insulted by that?
the pagans have been celebrating Samhain since the beginning of time. im sure if i look it up i could give you a date, but im not pulling out my books right now, lol.
the druids celebrated a bit differently than the pagans, they were more concerned with making contact with spirits. not quite how us pagans choose to celebrate. nor i think what the christians were looking to use for their halloween.

im quite curious though....why is it you call the term pagan antiquated and narrow minded? its a religion, just like yours.:confused3

princessmom29
09-16-2008, 02:40 PM
i am pagan, thats my religion, i didnt know you considered it an insult. maybe i should be insulted by that?
the pagans have been celebrating Samhain since the beginning of time. im sure if i look it up i could give you a date, but im not pulling out my books right now, lol.
the druids celebrated a bit differently than the pagans, they were more concerned with making contact with spirits. not quite how us pagans choose to celebrate.

im quite curious though....why is it you call the term pagan antiquated and narrow minded? its a religion, just like yours.:confused3

I am sorry, I dn't take that meaning of Pagan as a religion. I took it as pagan as in the romans viewed the druids as pagan. they used it to mean godless and barbaric and many still use it that way today. i truly thought that this is what you were implying, that the Druids were godless barbarians. Sorry, my mistake I did not intend to insult Paganism as a religion. So few people realize that it is so I just assumed the the meaning you intended to convey. I really am sorry for making the wrong assumption. I realize that the christian version as conveyed in all saints day is not at all the same, but I guess the point I was trying to make is that a lot of christians who protest so strongly about halloween don't realize that All Saints was an attempt by the christian church to smooth the transition fro Druids into christianity by incorporating their celebrations into the christian rituial.

disykat
09-16-2008, 02:50 PM
I don't like Halloween, but it's not for religious reasons. My church doesn't have issues with Halloween, but sees it as being historically tied to "all hallow's eve" and "all saints day."

I just don't like it. I don't like the colors orange and black. I have a bat phobia. I'm not crazy about scary things. I hate dressing up in costumes. I don't like candy corn.

Now harvest, I like. Apple cider, pumpkins, crisp fall days, etc. It all seems sort of romantic.

RMulieri
09-16-2008, 02:53 PM
I love halloween and fall..and have no problem trick or treating or letting my daughter dress up..But hey, different strokes for different folks.

imthatgirl
09-16-2008, 03:00 PM
I am sorry, I dn't take that meaning of Pagan as a religion. I took it as pagan as in the romans viewed the druids as pagan. they used it to mean godless and barbaric and many still use it that way today. i truly thought that this is what you were implying, that the Druids were godless barbarians. Sorry, my mistake I did not intend to insult Paganism as a religion. So few people realize that it is so I just assumed the the meaning you intended to convey. I really am sorry for making the wrong assumption. I realize that the christian version as conveyed in all saints day is not at all the same, but I guess the point I was trying to make is that a lot of christians who protest so strongly about halloween don't realize that All Saints was an attempt by the christian church to smooth the transition fro Druids into christianity by incorporating their celebrations into the christian rituial.

i have always looked at it as a transition from paganism. like i said the druids were interested in communicating with spirits, thats what their halloween was about. we celebrated and honored the dead, not ghosts, but rather our loved ones who passed. the part where we dress up and go house to house has really no basis in ancient celtic paganism. that started as far as i have been able to trace it back, in the 1800s in england when children dressed up and went door to door asking for donations.

and your right the christians like to portray paganism as an evil and dangerous religion. some how in the christian mind we have become satanist. its actually laughable. we do not honor satan. we do not sacrifice goats, lol. in fact the wiccan rede states "do what thou wilst, but harm none". and as far as gods, we do not worship a single god, thats by no means means we do not honor gods and goddesses.

godless and barbaric,:lmao: its funny what people will believe, i wish they would open a book once in awhile.

Goofy'slady
09-16-2008, 03:11 PM
for posting this thread. I was thinking of posting something like this the other day but sometimes these sort of topics can turn a bit frightening and words can be taken the wrong way and someone always ends up offended.

We don't celebrate Halloween and it's for religious reasons. My husband however is from Holland where they have a holiday something like Halloween but not exactly the same and he likes to do certain things like pass out candy to the kids who come "Trick or Treating" at our door and last year we even allowed our youngest to dress up. She was a princess or as princessy as you get while wearing that awful pink throw up dress my MIL sent from Holland intending on me putting it on her and going out of the house. OMG! This thing is so ugly it should only be worn during Halloween. We put on fairy wings and a crown to complete the look and she helped daddy hand out candy to the kids.

Our oldest just gets a kick out of seeing the other kids dressed up looking so cute. My husband even gives out a prize to the kid he thinks is the best dressed for the night.

I like to celebrate other things about the Autumn season so that's what we focus on.

T.

princessmom29
09-16-2008, 03:12 PM
i have always looked at it as a transition from paganism. like i said the druids were interested in communicating with spirits, thats what their halloween was about. we celebrated and honored the dead, not ghosts, but rather our loved ones who passed. the part where we dress up and go house to house has really no basis in ancient celtic paganism. that started as far as i have been able to trace it back, in the 1800s in england when children dressed up and went door to door asking for donations.

and your right the christians like to portray paganism as an evil and dangerous religion. some how in the christian mind we have become satanist. its actually laughable. we do not honor satan. we do not sacrifice goats, lol. in fact the wiccan rede states "do what thou wilst, but harm none". and as far as gods, we do not worship a single god, thats by no means means we do not honor gods and goddesses.

godless and barbaric,:lmao: its funny what people will believe, i wish they would open a book once in awhile.

I am glad you are not offended (I hope) I really was just trying in my own little way to popen ppl's eyes a little. I am one christian who does not see paganism as satianist. What I have read about druid shamian (sp?) is very similr to what you are saying. It implied that that is where pumpkin carving originated and that they did sometimes dress in costumes representing the spirits they were tring to contact. I need to read more about the actual practice of paganism. Is it the same as wicca, then?

SLK1
09-16-2008, 03:36 PM
I love the fall and Halloween. It's never been about religion or evil or satanic worship...it's simply a day to get dressed up and get candy! I never understood the over-analyzation of it and I even was judged once by a neighbor because I hung little pumpkins from my tree out front!!! Being from Florida, we don't usher in fall with cooler weather and changing leaves, so we can use all the decorations we can get! Our family doesn't go with the skeletons/witches/ghouls motif, but we do love our hay, cornstalks, pumpkins, and lots of orange!

okeydokey
09-16-2008, 03:49 PM
We celebrate Halloween with a pumpkin carving party, costumes and trick or treating. It's one of my families favorite holidays. :goodvibes

jnzimm
09-16-2008, 03:54 PM
No, you are not the only one.

I hate all things spooky/scary for Halloween. My DSalmost4 is absolutely terrified of the blow up spooky things on display in Sam's Club. We have to run through the store to avoid them or he has a meltdown.

We dress up in costumes all year long, and if he would like to dress up in something on Halloween I will allow it as long as it is not spooky (which he wouldn't like anyway).

I LOVE the fall and HATE how fall stuff gets overrun with Halloween stuff. It's silly. Also, I would NEVER allow my children to eat candy/snacks from strangers any other day of the year, so I will certainly not allow it on that day either. :eek:Fall is beautifull, but halloween also has its place in fall, I happen to live in an area that I have NO problem with letting my child trick or treat. She has been taught not to accept anything form strangers or talk to them. That is why I go with her on halloween and she understands that this is the only night of the year this happens. I can't believe we as a society have come to the point of trusting no one. Not even folks in our own neighborhood. Sad isn't it. I hate snowflakes.

NY Disney fan
09-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Although I think Halloween is a silly holiday, I love the fantasy aspect of it, the colors, the images, the creepiness, the pumpkins, etc. Disney loves all of the imagry as well.

I think all the egg throwing and evil tricks are horrible and should be dissassociated with Halloween.

imthatgirl
09-16-2008, 04:01 PM
I am glad you are not offended (I hope) I really was just trying in my own little way to popen ppl's eyes a little. I am one christian who does not see paganism as satianist. What I have read about druid shamian (sp?) is very similr to what you are saying. It implied that that is where pumpkin carving originated and that they did sometimes dress in costumes representing the spirits they were tring to contact. I need to read more about the actual practice of paganism. Is it the same as wicca, then?

im not offended. its quite hard to offend me actually. i am fully aware of the misconceptions with my religion.
paganism is to wicca as catholicism is to christianity.

livndisney
09-16-2008, 04:19 PM
We don't celebrate Halloween for quite a few reasons. Some religious and some not. We don't agree with the Blood and Gore that seems to go hand and hand with Halloween. Also it has become fashionable for other religions to glorify the day.

Camno's Mama
09-16-2008, 04:28 PM
I would say that we mostly celebrate "Falloween". I love the whole pumpkin patch visiting, apple pie making, leaf raking, mums sitting on the porch aspects of this time of year.

The kids do dress up and go to the town festivals and all that, but it's all part of the big picture. I have absolutely no religious aversion to Halloween, but in our house, it's just the day that wraps up the fun part of fall. (I'm not so in love with November...the weather here is no treat at that time of year...so Halloween is where it ends in my head). :)

yrdlyprincess
09-16-2008, 04:52 PM
I LOVE Halloween, so do my children (and my BIG child-DH) I mena it's not like the Halloween for the kids that scare the wits out of them- that's the halloween I love (and I am Christian & go to church) but for them it's the thought of dressing up (they haven't chose anything scary) but what ever works for you is great. They don't do "Halloween" parties in our school or let the kids dress up, we have fall parties. When I was in school we dressed up till 5th grade & had parades at school (I miss that for my kids now) but we go out on Halloween & have fun...having fun is what matters

lntsmom
09-16-2008, 05:15 PM
of our ethnic and religious heritage. I'm not ashamed to admit that we joyfully celebrate Halloween at our house. (and there isn't a monster, devil, or murder anywhere amoung the decor)

MaryKLady
09-16-2008, 05:39 PM
I LOVE Halloween! party: I'm so excited, I started putting up my decorations already. How could a holiday where you get to wear too much makeup and eat candy for dinner be bad?!?!

idieh
09-16-2008, 06:24 PM
[QUOTE] I don't like candy corn.

How can you not like candy corn????:lmao::rotfl2: :rotfl: Here in NJ, we don't have many harvest festivals. We mostly grow corn, tomato's and eggplant. All summer crops. I personally don't go for the bloody, horror costumes; and thankfully, DS has never wanted to dress that way. I look at it more as "fun" holiday and tend to ignore the religious significants.

princessmom29
09-16-2008, 06:38 PM
im not offended. its quite hard to offend me actually. i am fully aware of the misconceptions with my religion.

Thanks for the info. That really clears things up actually. Nothing like a good analogy!! Believe it or not I can understand the misconceptions. We are Episcopalian in the south. For lots of ppl the first question is where do you go to church, and lots of ppl look at me like I have grown 2 heads when I tell them. Then they ask me if that is a christian church.

imthatgirl
09-16-2008, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the info. That really clears things up actually. Nothing like a good analogy!! Believe it or not I can understand the misconceptions. We are Episcopalian in the south. For lots of ppl the first question is where do you go to church, and lots of ppl look at me like I have grown 2 heads when I tell them. Then they ask me if that is a christian church.

i love religion, it intregues me. but i have to be honest there are a couple ive just never looked into much. epicopalian being one of them, also protestant and lutherin. but maybe now i will have to. i hate that i cant add anything to an episopalian conversation...except that im quite aware that its a christian religion, lol.

minkydog
09-16-2008, 06:52 PM
We do not celebrate Halloween. It doesn't fit with our values & beliefs. However, I do love candy corn, flannel, pumpkins, orange/gold/brown, bonfires,sweaters, muffins, and all the trappings of harvest season!

Seewhatimesdone
09-16-2008, 07:00 PM
I'm Jewish and I celebrate Halloween! XD The rest of my family is Christian so I usually celebrate Christmas with them. It may sound weird but I like to be with them during their holidays and they take interest in mine. It doesn't reflect my beliefs one bit, I just love holidays XD

Technically if you're a Christian and do not celebrate Halloween because of the religion than you should not celebrate Christmas in December either because the Catholic church placed this holiday in December to try and convert the Pagans...

CrAzY4DL
09-16-2008, 08:59 PM
I LOOOOOVE Halloween!! Maybe *** I was born October 29th but seriously, LOOOOVE Halloween!! I'm not into the scary and/or gross stuff either ***, eww gross! But I love having my kids dress up and every year we dress the kids up, load them in the car and hit all of our relatives houses. They get to trick or treat, family gets to see them AND they can eat the candy!! Last year, our church did a huge parking lot trick or treat event and it was so amazing!! Was called Trunk or Treat. You brought your car, popped the trunk, decorated it and handed out candy you bought or candy that had been donated. We also had bouncy houses and cake walks (my kids were quite ticked when they found out you win cake mix and frosting in a can which made me CRACK UP!!!) and live music. It was so amazingly fun and safe. I had no problem letting my kids wander the parking lot together (with an adult behind them discreetly...LOL). Last year my oldest DD went as Hermione Granger which I LOVED because we are huge Harry Potter fans and DD recognized that it's better to be SMART than to not be smart....LOVE IT!! And younger DD was Belle. Yay for Halloween!!!
This year, hubby and I are going as one of the most important and culturally significant couples in history:

Mario and Luigi!!! :rotfl2:
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

PS-the *** are where i used the word C O S instead of because. That's just trippy!

DaisyD
09-16-2008, 09:39 PM
We celebrate Halloween in our house and we are catholic. My kids were and are allowed to dress up however they like. They trick or treat, and after my inspection, are allowed to eat the candy. Of course, these treats come from our neighbors who are not strangers at all. I would never allow them to go into a neighborhood other then our own. We also love the fall festivals and attend those too. We have a catholic priest that serves our church and also lives in our neighborhood. Apparently he has no problem celebrating it either as his house is decorated with pumpkins, witches, and black cats. He also hands out the best candy bars in the neighborhood!

JimmyJr'sMom
09-16-2008, 10:24 PM
We don't coddle. A good scare can be very invigorating. And he giggles after he's been scared anyway. :rotfl2: We have (for the last 3 years) hung up those motion sensor ghosts, blinking eyes that we stick in the fridge when he least expects it, fake rats, bugs, you name it. :scared1: He loves to get together with Mommy to see if we can scare Daddy. We have a good time, no one gets traumatized and as a result- he's a very unflappable little fellow.
We much prefer this than a kid who's afraid of his own shadow.

PS- At this point both Christmas & Halloween are basically commercial holidays. It serves no purpose to villify a fun and creative holiday for kids in the name of religion. Can you say Taliban?:confused3

No Flame suit needed. Everyone has their own opinion.

Seewhatimesdone
09-16-2008, 10:37 PM
We don't coddle. A good scare can be very invigorating. And he giggles after he's been scared anyway. :rotfl2: We have (for the last 3 years) hung up those motion sensor ghosts, blinking eyes that we stick in the fridge when he least expects it, fake rats, bugs, you name it. :scared1: He loves to get together with Mommy to see if we can scare Daddy. We have a good time, no one gets traumatized and as a result- he's a very unflappable little fellow.
We much prefer this than a kid who's afraid of his own shadow.

PS- At this point both Christmas & Halloween are basically commercial holidays. It serves no purpose to villify a fun and creative holiday for kids in the name of religion. Can you say Taliban?:confused3

No Flame suit needed. Everyone has their own opinion.

Thank you! I'm glad someone said it. Todays kids are wimps XD jk, but seriously, a good scare is good for everyone now and then

ChristusG
09-16-2008, 10:51 PM
We dont "celebrate" Halloween. We dress up and go trick or treating....but that's the extent of it. We dont get all into the decorating, etc. No gory, weird costumes.

We do go to MNSSHP though. ;)

daleswife
09-16-2008, 11:15 PM
I LOVE the fall and HATE how fall stuff gets overrun with Halloween stuff. It's silly. Also, I would NEVER allow my children to eat candy/snacks from strangers any other day of the year, so I will certainly not allow it on that day either. :eek:

Thats the reason we only trick or treat at friends and family members homes. Im lucky enough to live around a WHOLE bunch of family!!! As far as the scary costumes....NOPE. I am a Christian and I love halloween. But I love the cuteness of the Holiday, not the spookyness of it. I dont like that people have made it into something horrid. Around here, practical jokes run wild. But thats why we have a DOG!!! LMAO......hes a golden retriever. He'll LICK you to death!!!!

Narnia
09-16-2008, 11:39 PM
We are kind of odd we allow halloween but at christmas no santa. No santa decorations,cookies,stockings,girfts labled from santa. We try to allow christmas time to be focused on what it's truely about. Sure we give gifts and recieve them we just don't make that big of a deal about it. Halloween is differant only to a select few does it have any meaning. For my kids it's trips to the pumkinpatch, dressing up and eating junk. To each thier own.

livndisney
09-16-2008, 11:51 PM
We are kind of odd we allow halloween but at christmas no santa. No santa decorations,cookies,stockings,girfts labled from santa. We try to allow christmas time to be focused on what it's truely about. Sure we give gifts and recieve them we just don't make that big of a deal about it. Halloween is differant only to a select few does it have any meaning. For my kids it's trips to the pumkinpatch, dressing up and eating junk. To each thier own.

I agree, it is to each their own. But I think PP calling kids "wimps" was unnecessary.

Seewhatimesdone
09-16-2008, 11:58 PM
I agree, it is to each their own. But I think PP calling kids "wimps" was unnecessary.

I don't recall anyone on this board saying they liked gore :confused3 Even if you did call them something I don't think they'd care much XD I just think it's better to teach your kids not to be afraid of holiday, explain it to them instead of sheltering them. That's all. No offense intended.

livndisney
09-17-2008, 12:10 AM
I don't recall anyone on this board saying they liked gore :confused3 Even if you did call them something I don't think they'd care much XD I just think it's better to teach your kids not to be afraid of holiday, explain it to them instead of sheltering them. That's all. No offense intended.

Who said anything about "sheltering" children? :confused3 And calling todays kids "wimps" is not intended to be offensive?

In your opinion a good scare is fun. And do your children agree with you on that?

Princess_Michelle
09-17-2008, 12:15 AM
We do not celebrate Halloween. One of us did growing up, and one of us didn't. So, we compromise by carving Pumpkins and using them and other Fall things to decorate and attending Fall (or harvest) parties, instead of Trick or Treating. It works really well for us, and we pass absolutely no judgment on those who do celebrate it.

This is a GREAT article about the origins of Halloween, written by a Christian Pastor, who tells about all the incorrect myths that Christians use/have used to NOT celebrate Halloween. He has done a lot of research and uses sources to back it up. Excellent read :) A MUST read for Christians who don't celebrate b/c they think it is Satanic....

http://www.new-life.net/halowen1.htm

Seewhatimesdone
09-17-2008, 12:19 AM
Who said anything about "sheltering" children? :confused3 And calling todays kids "wimps" is not intended to be offensive?

In your opinion a good scare is fun. And do your children agree with you on that?

I was seriously just kidding. I don't think kids are wimps, I was a kid once myself and was afraid of stuff too. I thought I had a witch living in the corner of my bedroom and sometimes open closet doors still scare me XD Truce okay? I'm sorry for being a jerk.

Thanks for the article Michelle, it's very well researched!

KEH113
09-17-2008, 12:36 AM
I'm Catholic as well. We have always celebrated Halloween. Our church/school holds a Harvestfest every year. So I guess we get to enjoy both. We have never viewed Halloween as a "satanic" or evil holiday. Actually I don't know anyone personally who does. Catholics tend to be more laid back? :confused3

I love Fall. It's just a cozy season with the pumpkins, leaves, etc.

challer
09-17-2008, 02:07 AM
As a Jew, I don't celebrate Halloween, and neither do my kids. My kids don't even miss it. We don't celebrate it because of its religious origins that conflict with Jewish law - there are numerous articles on the web that can describe this better than I could.

Purim has been (awfully) labeled the "Jewish Halloween" because it is a day of dressing up in costume. However, there are two main practical differences (ignoring their origins):

1. It is festive, not frightening. Costumes tend to be clowns, Queens (as in Esther), and of course various Disney Princesses.

2. It is a custom to give treats and gifts to neighbors, not ask/beg/expect from them.

For Jews, I find this much more rewarding, and much more appropriate for children than Trick or Treating.

Two things I look forward to during Halloween season:

1. Entemann's Candy Corn Cupcakes
2. The day after Halloween - I get my kids Purim costumes for dirt cheap!!

mistymouse5001
09-17-2008, 02:46 AM
If it's fun for the kids or makes you laugh you should do it.:confused3

PollyannaMom
09-17-2008, 07:11 AM
i love religion, it intregues me. but i have to be honest there are a couple ive just never looked into much. epicopalian being one of them, also protestant and lutherin. but maybe now i will have to. i hate that i cant add anything to an episopalian conversation...except that im quite aware that its a christian religion, lol.

My brother calls Episcopalian "Catholic Light", if that helps any.

As for the original question, we do participate in Halloween here. We think of it as a fun children's holiday, and have never run into religious conflicts about it.

RMulieri
09-17-2008, 08:00 AM
I'm Jewish and I celebrate Halloween! XD The rest of my family is Christian so I usually celebrate Christmas with them. It may sound weird but I like to be with them during their holidays and they take interest in mine. It doesn't reflect my beliefs one bit, I just love holidays XD

Technically if you're a Christian and do not celebrate Halloween because of the religion than you should not celebrate Christmas in December either because the Catholic church placed this holiday in December to try and convert the Pagans...

I do understand what you are saying.But I disagree.I have a minor degree in religious studies and can tell you that ALL christian holidays have their foundations in paganism.Every single one of them do.I know this and yet I am a Christian and will go even further and tell you I am Catholic by birth.Most Chrisitians out there are well aware of the early Church history and continue to celebrate the holidays anyway.Why? because that was how it was practiced then,and got handed down.It is tradition and a way of life for many people.Doesn't make it right or wrong.Religion and practice of it is something very personal,near and dear ,and way of life for millions of people, and it is very easy to insult or offend people discussing it or criticizing it.

tmarquez
09-17-2008, 08:21 AM
We all love Halloween at our house! The scarier the better. We always decorate the outside of the house for the night...tons of people come by...so I guess they like it too. We're not really religious so maybe that's the difference.

RMAMom
09-17-2008, 09:02 AM

I am not sure what you mean by that but a big misconception is that Catholics aren't Christians. Catholics believe that Jesus Christ himself began the Catholic church. Catholics are Christians!
Just wanted to clear that up! :flower3:

moredisneyplease
09-17-2008, 09:06 AM
i've never, ever thought Halloween was a religious day/event!!! :confused3

All I can say is that my family/I love it!!! We decorate, carve pumpkins, do crafts, and really just enjoy the season!! Its probably my favorite "holiday"

Seewhatimesdone
09-17-2008, 12:11 PM
I do understand what you are saying.But I disagree.I have a minor degree in religious studies and can tell you that ALL christian holidays have their foundations in paganism.Every single one of them do.I know this and yet I am a Christian and will go even further and tell you I am Catholic by birth.Most Chrisitians out there are well aware of the early Church history and continue to celebrate the holidays anyway.Why? because that was how it was practiced then,and got handed down.It is tradition and a way of life for many people.Doesn't make it right or wrong.Religion and practice of it is something very personal,near and dear ,and way of life for millions of people, and it is very easy to insult or offend people discussing it or criticizing it.

I was merely saying that if you are going to not celebrate Halloween because of its religious origins that you would have to examine every other holidays origins as well. I was raised Christian so I have great respect for Christian holidays. Even after I converted to Judaism when I got older I can still appreciate the beauty of the religion.

As a Jew we are not supposed to celebrate holidays other than our own but i'm Conservative and as long as you have good intentions and aren't calling the dead back to life or anything then it's not that big of a deal XD So I celebrate it out of habit and because I love the festivities, and of course, candy.

KirstenB
09-17-2008, 12:29 PM
We adore Halloween!! Inside, our home is decorated in Pottery Barn Kids, and Yankee Candle Halloween stuff, so nothing scary. Just lots of pumpkins, black cats and friendly witches. Our 10 yr old is too old to be scared, but we keep it light for our 3 yr old.

Outdoors, on the other hand, dh goes all out. He has built animatronic witches, and vampires, and has ghouls who jump out behind tombstones, up from the porch etc. On Halloween night, he stands in front of the spooky stuff, so he can just give little kids their candy, and they don't get spooked. But for older kids, they love it!! Every year our neighbors and the kids at dd's school ask when our house will be ready.

I love Halloween, because it is a holiday without a lot of baggage attached. I don't have to wake up at 4 am to fill stockings, or Easter baskets. I don't have to hide presents for weeks. I don't have to deal with my in-laws. I don't have 30 people inside my house while I'm cooking. Gosh, I sound very grinchy!!;) I do like the other holidays, but Halloween is like holiday "lite".

Seewhatimesdone
09-17-2008, 12:43 PM
We adore Halloween!! Inside, our home is decorated in Pottery Barn Kids, and Yankee Candle Halloween stuff, so nothing scary. Just lots of pumpkins, black cats and friendly witches. Our 10 yr old is too old to be scared, but we keep it light for our 3 yr old.

Outdoors, on the other hand, dh goes all out. He has built animatronic witches, and vampires, and has ghouls who jump out behind tombstones, up from the porch etc. On Halloween night, he stands in front of the spooky stuff, so he can just give little kids their candy, and they don't get spooked. But for older kids, they love it!! Every year our neighbors and the kids at dd's school ask when our house will be ready.

I love Halloween, because it is a holiday without a lot of baggage attached. I don't have to wake up at 4 am to fill stockings, or Easter baskets. I don't have to hide presents for weeks. I don't have to deal with my in-laws. I don't have 30 people inside my house while I'm cooking. Gosh, I sound very grinchy!!;) I do like the other holidays, but Halloween is like holiday "lite".

You said exactly like my friends mom, they go ALL OUT for Halloween. Tombstones in the yard, hanging witches, they even switch out light bulbs in their house with those flickering flame ones XD

I understand what you means about the no baggage. My family is always running around at Christmas getting presents and trying to host everyone. I'm like calm down people we should be relaxing!

DISNEYFOS
09-17-2008, 12:46 PM

As for the original question, we do participate in Halloween here. We think of it as a fun children's holiday, and have never run into religious conflicts about it.

We participate in Halloween here. Love it. I really only consider it as Theatrical, nothing religious either.

It is true that all Christian holidays have some sort of druid festival/holiday associated with them, the church purposefully did so in hopes of converting druids to the religion.

Anyways...Episcopalian is basically the Church of England (when it split with the Pope over an Annulment of King Henry VIII). Today Very very similar to the Catholic church in terms of mass. Its basically in the middle between Catholism and Protestant. Definitely Catholic without all the guilt. (I was raised catholic)

tzolkin
09-17-2008, 01:19 PM
When I was a child and we lived in the south there was a time where we did not celebrate Halloween. We were Catholic and my mom homeschooled, so we dealt with alot of anti-Catholic comments. I think avoiding Halloween meant one less reason for people to tell us we were going to hell. (I'm not trying to insult any southern non-Catholics, this was just our experience with certain people who lived around us.) I do remember one year we went to an "All Saints" party at our church were you could dress up as a saint/religious figure.

We participate in Halloween with our kids. Our elementary school has a Halloween parade during school that all the parents can attend. (I had a parade as a child when I lived in the north, but no costumes or parties were allowed when I lived in the south. So maybe this is a regional thing) My family all comes over for a little party in the evening and DH & I take the kids trick-or-treating to all of the neighbors that we know.

I do not like gory costumes, because I just don't find them appealing and I don't like horror movies. But I have no problem with the skeletons and things. I don't view them as scary, but as symbols of life and rememberance. My kids know quite a bit about Maya and Aztec culture (what I studied in college), as well as today's Mexican-American "Day of the Dead" celebration, so they see them in these cultural terms rather than as something evil.

disneykid4ever
09-17-2008, 01:49 PM
Halloween is the bomb! Loooooove it! Of course, I'm a little more juiced about it than your average person because it's my birthday!!! Mom tried everything possible to NOT have me be born on Halloween (walking around block, spicy food,etc . . .) but I wasn't having it, apparently! (Her not wanting me born on Halloween had nothing to do with religious reasons). I was raised Catholic and Mom is very religious but we always celebrated Halloween, not just for my birthday's sake but for the fun and frivolity. I always felt like everyone else in the neighborhood/school was celebrating my birthday with me, but even if Halloween wasn't my birthday it would still be my favorite holiday. It sort of cements the whole Fall season for me and gets me in the mood for the holiday season right through the end of the year, period. I love my birthday for everything it stood for back in the day (Samhain) and it's history and evolution. I don't dig the gore or extremely scary costumes that you see many times nowadays, but gimme a really cool vampire costume or witch costume and I am ALL IN!

Fintastic
09-17-2008, 03:03 PM
I *love* Halloween and I look forward to it every year! If DD gets nervous around scary decorations, we let her touch them or turn them on or whatever to show her that they're not real, they're just for fun. We emphasize that everything's pretend and it's just a fun holiday to dress up. She wants to be Cinderella this year, but if she wanted to be something scary I'd let her. I have no problem with it. I love scary stuff.

Fintastic
09-17-2008, 03:07 PM
I was born October 29th but seriously, LOOOOVE Halloween!!That's my daughter's birthday too! She'll be five in just a few weeks.

LisaInNc
09-17-2008, 03:17 PM
We love Halloween and we decorate the house starting with a Martha Stweart type pumpkin display and then adding more spooky things a few days before Halloween. We do dry ice, lights, spider webs on the bushes, toombstones in the yard. I make illumanaria bags for my walkway yard and my neighbors and I light my porch with only candles. This year I am buying the yard statues of the Hitchhiking Ghosts from the HM. I can't wait to add them to the other decorations!

I just don't see it as evil, it's fun and it seems to be more of an American Holiday with how we celebrate it. I just can't see what is wrong with the little girl dressed as a Princess trick or treating or the little boy dressed as Spiderman.

I am Catholic and I went to Catholic school and one cool thing about that was the day after Halloween is All Saints Day and a Holy Day of Obligation so we always had it off. I also opt to let my DD stay home for that reason. She gets to sleep in and we go to mass during the day.

princessmom29
09-17-2008, 03:20 PM

I am not sure what you mean by that but a big misconception is that Catholics aren't Christians. Catholics believe that Jesus Christ himself began the Catholic church. Catholics are Christians!

When I was a child and we lived in the south there was a time where we did not celebrate Halloween. We were Catholic and my mom homeschooled, so we dealt with alot of anti-Catholic comments. I think avoiding Halloween meant one less reason for people to tell us we were going to hell. (I'm not trying to insult any southern non-Catholics, this was just our experience with certain people who lived around us.) I do remember one year we went to an "All Saints" party at our church were you could dress up as a saint/religious figure.

We participate in Halloween with our kids. Our elementary school has a Halloween parade during school that all the parents can attend. (I had a parade as a child when I lived in the north, but no costumes or parties were allowed when I lived in the south. So maybe this is a regional thing) My family all comes over for a little party in the evening and DH & I take the kids trick-or-treating to all of the neighbors that we know.

I do not like gory costumes, because I just don't find them appealing and I don't like horror movies. But I have no problem with the skeletons and things. I don't view them as scary, but as symbols of life and rememberance. My kids know quite a bit about Maya and Aztec culture (what I studied in college), as well as today's Mexican-American "Day of the Dead" celebration, so they see them in these cultural terms rather than as something evil.

I obviously live in the south and as Episcopalians we get the "youare not chriistian" thing too. It is a little better in Mobile b/c we were originally a French Ctholic settlment so there are still a large percentage of cathloics, but when we lived in rural Mississippi it was AWFUL. There we always ppl trying to "save "us. :confused3 :confused3 :headache:

momma of 2
09-17-2008, 04:00 PM
I LOVE halloween!!!!!!!!!! my kids (4 and 3) LOVE it too. They laugh at anything scary in the stores. I think they get it from me. My dh takes them only to the houses of people we know. And I get to do the whole pass out candy thing. We live in Michigan and sometimes it snows on halloween.

Now our kids go to a Christian based preschool and they will allow them to dress up but they can not call it Halloween. They call it Harvest day. It does not bother me. I would not let them dress up in anything scary. Usually they choose a disney character to dress up as. Am I raising them right or what.:cool1:

imthatgirl
09-17-2008, 04:00 PM

huh? where did i say that catholics arent christian? im quite confused? i study religion of course i know that? she asked me where paganism fit into wicca...maybe you need to read it again? maybe?

ALittleDisneyFan
09-17-2008, 06:59 PM
We like Halloween... but I'm not one for scary things. My DD(2) and I saw a bowl with a hand that comes down when you grab into it ... cute, but scared her. I have a feeling she'll get scared of some of the costumes. I think we'll T.O.T early, as to avoid the older kids.

melancholywings
09-17-2008, 07:53 PM
DD's school does not celebrate Halloween and it makes me sad. As a kid, dressing up in costumes at school was the best part of it. Our puritain society is determined to take all the fun out of the school system. Boo!

We usually hang out with some friends and go trick or treating in their very small, community neighborhood. It's so awsome, we go out with a huge pack of neighborhood kids. And the cops get very involved and will all be out driving the streets during the trick or treat hours. It's such a great sense of community. My work also has a family friendly party they throw for the kids that is a lot of fun.

roliepolieoliefan
09-17-2008, 10:38 PM
We love Halloween! I have almost as many Halloween decorations as Christmas decorations.

The kids dress up in whatever they want and treat ot treat. Usually DH takes them around the neighborhood and I stay back and pass out candy.

The neighbors across the street are having a party after trick or treat. Here's hoping for nice weather!

challer
09-22-2008, 01:14 AM
As a Jew we are not supposed to celebrate holidays other than our own but i'm Conservative and as long as you have good intentions and aren't calling the dead back to life or anything then it's not that big of a deal XD So I celebrate it out of habit and because I love the festivities, and of course, candy.

That's not entirely accurate. Jews are allowed to celebrate holidays other than their own, as long as it is purely secular or doesn't go against any tenets of Judaism. For example, there is no problem for Jews to celebrate Thanksgiving or 4th of July - as a matter of fact, I personally feel they should be celebrated. (To live in a country that allows us to celebrate our own holidays & customs and not have to celebrate those outside of our religion in rare in our history.) Its only the holidays & customs that have any form or basis in religion contrary to Judaism that are not allowed by Jewish law. But I'm Orthodox, so I may be more concerned about the strict law than you may be (PLEASE don't take that in a negative tone - positivity, only).

But as I said before, I don't deny myself any sweets (see cupcakes reference)... but that's not limited to this season!:hyper:

YellowMickeyPonchos
09-22-2008, 03:01 AM

I'm not exactly sure how you came to that conclusion from what imthatgirl wrote. Paganism is a branch of Wicca, just as Catholocism is a branch of Christianity. Just as being a "non-practicing Lutheran, who divorced a Catholic and married a Methodist" still makes me a subset of Christianity.

We love Halloween at our house, although I never could stand the gore. I unfortunately strike when surprised/scared and would hit people in Haunted Houses, when they jumped out at me.

I make a heck of a carved pumpkin show at Halloween when I get a good deal on pumpkins and a lot of time and help. My top year was 13 highly detailed pumpkins flickering in my flowerbeds with very large spiderwebs and furry fake spiders on my porch and rose bushes.

Alesia
09-22-2008, 07:22 AM
DD's school does not celebrate Halloween and it makes me sad. As a kid, dressing up in costumes at school was the best part of it. Our puritain society is determined to take all the fun out of the school system. Boo!

We usually hang out with some friends and go trick or treating in their very small, community neighborhood. It's so awsome, we go out with a huge pack of neighborhood kids. And the cops get very involved and will all be out driving the streets during the trick or treat hours. It's such a great sense of community. My work also has a family friendly party they throw for the kids that is a lot of fun.

To be honest, not allowing children to dress up at school probably has more to do with the fact that that many children in costumes is a major headache for teachers. We let our preschool kids dress up, and it is absolute chaos all day. There are only 15 of them, I can't even imagine what it would be like to have 5 or 6 hundred kids dressed up.

Ducky4Disney
09-22-2008, 10:05 AM
First, I would like to applaud everyone who has posted so far in a positive, understanding, and informative manner. I didn't think it was possible for a thread like this to go 5 pages!

I am also pagan/wiccan - take your pick. I love Halloween and I love the fall! It's funny to hear people say "we don't celebrate Halloween because of our religion (or it's religion) but we participate in harvest festivites/celebrations", becasue Halloween (as we know it today) is essentially a secular holiday while Samhain (the religious holiday) is a harvest celebration. So, IMHO, celebrating the harvest is more in line with the religion you don't subscribe to than celebrating Halloween (does that make sense?).

I don't care for all the scary-gory stuff but the general pumpkins, ghosts, black cats stuff is great.

I give a big :thumbsup2 to those Christians (or non-Pagans/Wiccans) who can enjoy Halloween for what it is: apple cider, pumpkins, candy, and costumes and not get hung up on the religious part. Becasue that's exactly what I do with Christmas. I don't celebrate Christmas as the Christian religious holiday - but I do see it as a time to gather with family, give gifts, drink egg nog, sing carols (yes, I'm not Christian but I love carols - go figure), and wait for Santa!

Blessed Be
D4D

Zeebs
09-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Also, I would NEVER allow my children to eat candy/snacks from strangers any other day of the year, so I will certainly not allow it on that day either. :eek:

I wonder how many people that follow this line of thought are quite happy to put their child on the lap of a fat, bearded guy in red clothes once a year.

Kirsten

livndisney
09-22-2008, 11:11 AM
I wonder how many people that follow this line of thought are quite happy to put their child on the lap of a fat, bearded guy in red clothes once a year.

Kirsten

How is that even close to letting children ask for candy from strangers? :confused3

imthatgirl
09-22-2008, 11:15 AM

Kirsten

ive never understood that either. i dont let strangers touch my children, im not going to let a stranger in a red suit touch them either. it makes me wonder who gets these jobs anyway. theyre there during normal working hours, so they have to be people that didnt already have a job, or take time off from their job to do it. it gives me the willys.
we wave and say hi to santa, but hes not touching my children.

Chelley00
09-22-2008, 11:29 AM
We are Christians, and we sorta celebrate Halloween, only as friendly holiday. We allow the kids to go trick or treating and dress up, but not in anything scary or gorey. We decorate in pumpkins and characters dressed up, but not in monsters, ghosts, vampires etc. We don't do haunted houses etc. This way we can feel like our kids aren't being left out, but we aren't celebrating the evil (for lack of a better word) ties in to Halloween.

Zeebs
09-22-2008, 11:30 AM
How is that even close to letting children ask for candy from strangers? :confused3

Well to me out of the context of the holiday they are exactly the same, don't ask strangers for candy and don't go and sit on the lap of a stranger are the lessons we teach our children.

In context, trick or treating and Santa are pretty much the same thing, in most situations people are with their child watching, it is part of the holiday season.

That is just my opinion I realise not everyone will feel the same way but stranger danger needs to be covered fully not just picking and choosing the ones you want to deal with.

In our family I am quite happy to trick and treat and sit on Santas lap.

Kirsten

SLK1
09-22-2008, 11:30 AM

Kirsten

:lmao: We love the fat guy, we love the candy, we even love the crazy springtime rabbit! When I'm standing right there, when I'm going through each piece of candy received from my neighbors, when I realize that childhood is just too darned short, you can bet we do it all. :thumbsup2

chicagodisneyfan
09-22-2008, 11:44 AM
ive never understood that either. i dont let strangers touch my children, im not going to let a stranger in a red suit touch them either. it makes me wonder who gets these jobs anyway. theyre there during normal working hours, so they have to be people that didnt already have a job, or take time off from their job to do it. it gives me the willys.

:rotfl: :lmao: Seriously- I think this is a little too paranoid. Santa = danger?? Children sit on Santa's lap in full view of a camera, parents, and a bunch of other people - I cannot see how this could be a problem.

Most of the Santa's I have run across are retired gentlemen, but so what if this is their only job?

imthatgirl
09-22-2008, 11:50 AM
:rotfl: :lmao: Seriously- I think this is a little too paranoid. Santa = danger?? Children sit on Santa's lap in full view of a camera, parents, and a bunch of other people - I cannot see how this could be a problem.

Most of the Santa's I have run across are retired gentlemen, but so what if this is their only job?

like i said, i dont let strangers touch my kids, you do, thats great. i wouldnt let a guy in a supermarket put my kids on his lap, hes in full view of me and all the customers, still wouldnt do it. i dont make exceptions if they have a fake beard on.

imthatgirl
09-22-2008, 11:52 AM
oh but i do let my kids trick or treat. i dont fear of prepackaged candy, well except for cavities. but i dont want some guy getting his jollies off with my kids.

Mouse House Mama
09-22-2008, 11:56 AM
I didn't read this whole thread so forgive me if this has been addressed. We "celebrate" Halloween. I mean we decorate our house (POTC theme including pirate ship!) and we all dress up and trick or treat. We don't celebrate it religiously. I don't really know anyone who does.:confused3 I am not paranoid about the candy as we stay in our area and know pretty much everyone. We also check it. I am not paranoid about Santa or the Easter Bunny either. In fact I have never heard of someone thinking they are a bunch of perverts although I suppose anything is possible. I happen to know that Santa is paid a huge salary here and is flown in from somewhere else (the north pole perhaps?;) ) and has been for years.
I think it stinks that the kids can't dress up for school anymore. Will it be a chaotic day? Maybe but we did it as kids. I am sure the school can suck it up for one day of the entire year. I suppose though letting the kids have fun would be terrible.:rolleyes: We love Halloween here and so do the kids.

livndisney
09-22-2008, 12:11 PM

Where do you draw the line? What about Disney characters? Some of them are pretty strange LOL.

I know the Mall by me, Santa is a carefully screened retired Grandfather. He has been working with this agency for several years. (Not saying that makes him a saint, but in all the years we have been visiting with him, I have never noticed one thing to cause me worry.)

imthatgirl
09-22-2008, 12:16 PM
Where do you draw the line? What about Disney characters? Some of them are pretty strange LOL.

I know the Mall by me, Santa is a carefully screened retired Grandfather. He has been working with this agency for several years. (Not saying that makes him a saint, but in all the years we have been visiting with him, I have never noticed one thing to cause me worry.)

no, we dont wait in the lines to see the characters. we do see them at meals. but last time i checked they werent putting your kids on their laps. that to me is creepy. they usually stand begind the child and take the picture.

where does everyone live that they know so much about their santas? ours are in the mall, theres no resume hanging next to him?or any kind of info about who he is. there are about 6 malls near me, i would guess each mall has 2-3 santas.

roliepolieoliefan
09-22-2008, 12:24 PM
Wow trick or treat = taking candy from strangers

And sitting on Santas lap = a perverted old man.

And many a people have called me a helicopter parent. Glad I'm one of the ones who lets my kids be kids and doesn't always look for an underlying cause for something bad to happen. :sad2:

SLK1
09-22-2008, 12:28 PM
Wow trick or treat = taking candy from strangers

And sitting on Santas lap = a perverted old man.

And many a people have called me a helicopter parent. Glad I'm one of the ones who lets my kids be kids and doesn't always look for an underlying cause for something bad to happen. :sad2:

I'm totally with ya'!:thumbsup2

imthatgirl
09-22-2008, 12:32 PM
not letting your children sit on strange mens laps is considered a "helicopter parent"? last time i checked that reffered to parents who didnt allow their children to make mistakes.
if the guy in the suit is a pervert then it would be considered my mistake, surely not theirs.

roliepolieoliefan
09-22-2008, 12:41 PM
not letting your children sit on strange mens laps is considered a "helicopter parent"? last time i checked that reffered to parents who didnt allow their children to make mistakes.
if the guy in the suit is a pervert then it would be considered my mistake, surely not theirs.

And not letting your kids do anything because you're afraid something bad is going to happen is also a form of helicopter parenting.

I'm as protective as the next parent but all I could say about the trick or treat comment and the perverted Santa comment is Wow :sad2: I think I'm paranoid and thoughts like that never crossed my mind.

imthatgirl
09-22-2008, 12:45 PM
And not letting your kids do anything because you're afraid something bad is going to happen is also a form of helicopter parenting.

I'm as protective as the next parent but all I could say about the trick or treat comment and the perverted Santa comment is Wow :sad2: I think I'm paranoid and thoughts like that never crossed my mind.

i am actually the least over protective parent youll meet. right now my 3 and 4yo sons are playing alone in the *gasp* front yard. and like i said we do halloween.

you can do whatever you want with your child. but how dare you tell another parent they are wrong for a decision they have made with their child?

goofy4tink
09-22-2008, 12:51 PM
I don't like the scary costumes just because they don't appeal to me and i don't like DD getting scared by them, but I have no problem with halloween itself. It was not in its original form a satanic, scary, or occult holiday. I know a lot of ppl object on religious grounds, but I am christian and have done the research into its origins. I choose to look on it as a vehicle used to convert the Druids to christianity that has sice been incorporated into the christian calendar as the eve of all saints day, all hallows eve. I see it as a great way to do just what the druids intended it for, celebrate the harvest and the blessings it brings.
Sounds good to me.

Can't tell you how many kids, RC kids for the most part, have asked my dd if she is a Christian...we are Episcopalians..have been for generations. It's mind boggling how much misinformation is out there. Perhaps if the schools were allowed to teach the religions of the world, as a matter of course, there wouldn't be nearly as much upheaval out there.

We Episcopalians hold many of the same beliefs and rituals at the Lutheran's do. We have been called Catholic Light..my dh (former RC) calls himself a 'recovering Catholic'. He hated church as a kid, hated it as an adult, but now that he has become an Episcopalian, he no longer hates church. Actually kind of likes it.
Halloween? Santa? Easter bunny? Man, how did that all get going!!! I seriously doubt that the majority of 'Santa's' out there are perverts. I've met a lot and they are just normal, happy older guys who love what they do. Do I allow strangers to 'touch' my child? No, not as a rule. But, my dd sat on Santa's lap, as well as the Easter bunny, with no ill effects. Well....other than the effects on her over-active imagination at night. We stopped the 'seatings' after about 2 years....actually had to call the Easter bunny to make sure he left her basket on the back deck and didn't come into the house!!!

We celebrate Halloween in our house. We love this time of year....for many reasons. Loved going to a friend's house who was wiccan. No, I didn't take my dd, she wasn't born yet. And I really miss that friend...she moved away many years ago and we lost touch.

There is plenty of room for many beliefs in this world. It's truly sad when people can't discuss various beliefs without others getting in a huff or feeling that their particular belief has been belittled. I love learning about religions..it always amazes me how many similarities there are in many of them.
But to just out and out say that Halloween is evil and it's a truly bad thing...well, that's wrong as far as I'm concered. I actually had an older woman come up to me at church a few years ago. She told me, and I quote,..."I hope you don't have any of those witch Halloween decorations up in your house. Those allow true dead spirits to enter your house, especially the evil ones." Yep, that's what she said, and not just to me..to everyone who had a youngster. Nope, no open mindedness going on there!!!

Happy Halloween everyone...however you choose to celebrate it!! Happy Falloween, Happy Harvest!!!

roliepolieoliefan
09-22-2008, 12:52 PM
you can do whatever you want with your child. but how dare you tell another parent they are wrong for a decision they have made with their child?

Umm don't believe I ever said that. I believe the word I used was paranoid.

And stop threatening me,,,How dare I? pleeease! :sad2:

npmommie
09-22-2008, 12:52 PM
no, we dont wait in the lines to see the characters. we do see them at meals. but last time i checked they werent putting your kids on their laps. that to me is creepy. they usually stand begind the child and take the picture.

where does everyone live that they know so much about their santas? ours are in the mall, theres no resume hanging next to him?or any kind of info about who he is. there are about 6 malls near me, i would guess each mall has 2-3 santas.

yes i have pics of the characters standing behind my kids, I also have sweet pictures of Mickey hugging my dd..........is mickey a pervert??? LOL, could be i don't know who is under there, but its a sweet sweet picture!

the santa at our local mall is the same old man for the past 8 years. i have pics with my dd as a baby, and my ds as a baby with the same santa.
last year we did something different......we went to one of those living history museums and they had santa and mrs. claus, i liked that a lot, we will go there again this year too.

goofy4tink
09-22-2008, 12:53 PM
i am actually the least over protective parent youll meet. right now my 3 and 4yo sons are playing alone in the *gasp* front yard. and like i said we do halloween.

Alone? As in 'all by themselves'??? Wow. Just kidding, couldn't resist. Hope they're bundled up though..it's a bit chilly today. What happened to the weather of yesterday??

chicagodisneyfan
09-22-2008, 12:54 PM

From urban dictionary:
A hovering & controlling, but well-meaning, parent who gets way too involved in her child's life

Just so you know the proper definition. :cloud9:

imthatgirl
09-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Alone? As in 'all by themselves'??? Wow. Just kidding, couldn't resist. Hope they're bundled up though..it's a bit chilly today. What happened to the weather of yesterday??

its not too bad here, though it was warmer this morning at the bus stop. yesterday was beautiful though wasnt it. well except it was hard to enjoy in the mist of the pats game:headache:

dragitoff
09-22-2008, 01:02 PM
We live in the country and don't really have anywhere for our kids to "trick or treat". We are very active in our church and have a VERY large Fall Festival that we participate and work in. My DD's school also has a big fall festival the weekend after Halloween (no costumes). My kids get plenty of candy from those 2 events.

I work with the youth at my church and we had a few of us dress up like characters from POTC. Our youth pastor is a spot on look-alike for Jack Sparrow. I was Barbossa. This year our band is dressing up as The Blues Brothers and performing at the festival. I get to be Jake Blues!

Even if we lived in a neighborhood, I don't know that we'd take our kids "trick or treating" simply because there are so many people out there that you have to watch your kids around. It's a shame that a few sickos have to ruin things for the vast majority of people.

imthatgirl
09-22-2008, 01:08 PM
its hilarious how worked up people get on a message board. why does anyone care if i dont put my child on santas lap? did i tell anyone they were wrong for doing so? we all make decisions for our children. i dont have to get anyones approval for my decisions, and its crazy that people think they have the right to tell me im wrong?
if you all want to do it, have fun. you really dont have to defend your decision. i dont really care what you choose to do.

npmommie
09-22-2008, 01:28 PM
It's funny, you reminded me of something.
I am so used to the same old man at our local mall as santa, one year we happened to be at a different mall, and the santa was obviously NOT an older man.....the beard was fake unlike our local santa......LOL......and he looked like a young person under the costume,
hubby and i just looked at each other like:confused3
and my dd looked and got this weird look on her face and said "that is not the real santa"
there was NO way i would have let them sit on that santas lap:)

SLK1
09-22-2008, 02:00 PM
I think the reason people get "offended" on these boards is because it's hard to read emotion on a computer screen. When someone says, "I would NEVER let my child do that", it might imply that you are a better parent than someone who WOULD let their child do that. No, it's probably not the intent of the comment, but it can easily be taken that way...and then it makes the responder have to be a bit defensive of their decision. Then, criticisms and sarcasms fly, and it can get nasty. I really loved these boards when I was new to them, and then I innocently made a comment on another thread and got bombarded with mean things. It took me a while before I could jump back in!

imthatgirl
09-22-2008, 02:10 PM
I think the reason people get "offended" on these boards is because it's hard to read emotion on a computer screen. When someone says, "I would NEVER let my child do that", it might imply that you are a better parent than someone who WOULD let their child do that. No, it's probably not the intent of the comment, but it can easily be taken that way...and then it makes the responder have to be a bit defensive of their decision. Then, criticisms and sarcasms fly, and it can get nasty. I really loved these boards when I was new to them, and then I innocently made a comment on another thread and got bombarded with mean things. It took me a while before I could jump back in!

all i said was i dont let santa touch my children. there was no need for anyone to get defensive in their comments. i never said anyone had to do the same. i would think anyone who was comfortable in the choices they make as a parent really wouldnt care about the choices i make.
we do halloween. a poster said she doesnt trust people and doesnt let her children do it. i am quite secure in the way that i parent that i didnt feel the need to jump all over her. she makes her decisions and i make mine.

swald91
09-22-2008, 02:19 PM
I'm catholic & love Halloween!!! I don't think it's about the devil or sadistic worship-it's just a time to dress up & have fun. Some do take it to the extreme but hey-to each his own! I do respect others that don't celebrate. Just don't preach to me about how bad it is b/c I don't preach that all should celebrate it.

livndisney
09-22-2008, 02:20 PM

So you don't wait in lines at Disney. But my question was WHERE to draw the line? Some people differ on that point. I know about the Santa at our mall because a friend of mine is the photographer. We only have the one, like I said he is supplied by an agency. Now the Easter Bunny, THAT is a different story LOL.

imthatgirl
09-22-2008, 02:34 PM
So you don't wait in lines at Disney. But my question was WHERE to draw the line? Some people differ on that point. I know about the Santa at our mall because a friend of mine is the photographer. We only have the one, like I said he is supplied by an agency. Now the Easter Bunny, THAT is a different story LOL.

what line? i dont put my children on strangers laps. period. i dont see where i would ever have to make an exception to that rule.

swald91
09-22-2008, 02:38 PM
what line? i dont put my children on strangers laps. period. i dont see where i would ever have to make an exception to that rule.

Haven't read ALL these posts, but what about a Disney character's lap? (They are strangers too)

imthatgirl
09-22-2008, 02:48 PM
Haven't read ALL these posts, but what about a Disney character's lap? (They are strangers too)

like i said my kids dont go on anyones laps. personally ive never seen characters sitting and inviting kids to sit with them. my only experience is with standing characters. the closest they come is a hug. but even that i cant think of a time when my kids were hugging the characters. well cinderella, i do have a pisture of my daughter hugging her. usually the characters goof with the kids and then stand with the kids for a picture.
i guess my experience with characters is different than others have had with them.

Mouse House Mama
09-22-2008, 02:53 PM
like i said my kids dont go on anyones laps. personally ive never seen characters sitting and inviting kids to sit with them. my only experience is with standing characters. the closest they come is a hug. but even that i cant think of a time when my kids were hugging the characters. well cinderella, i do have a pisture of my daughter hugging her. usually the characters goof with the kids and then stand with the kids for a picture.
i guess my experience with characters is different than others have had with them.

Hey I respect your choices and on some level they do make sense to me but I do have to say that I think hugging a stranger is a lot more intimate if you will than sitting on their lap. JMHO of course.

mistymouse5001
09-22-2008, 02:54 PM
:headache: OMG! :confused3 I will start a fight in the middle of anywhere if I think someone is out of line involving my children. In a safe enviroment, where all of the responsible grown ups are present I do think you can let up off of the leash a little. OP it is perfectly wonderful that you celebrate Harvest instead of Halloween. It is a very wonderful time of year. It's about having fun. You only live once. It doesn't have to be about boogie men or headless horsemen to be be a hoot for the family. Spiders are icky anyway.
If you're doing right chances are your kids don't want to sit in some strangers lap ppl! Yes there are weirdos everywhere you go but if we are all doing our job they won't be close to our children. I watch out for any kids in line of sight don't you?
Just enjoy life! Arm your self with a bat if you have to but enjoy life!:goodvibes

K and K's Mommy
09-22-2008, 02:57 PM
where does everyone live that they know so much about their santas? ours are in the mall, theres no resume hanging next to him?or any kind of info about who he is.

A couple of years ago there was an article in the paper profiling all the Santas around Indianapolis. Some malls actually only use one guy, and it is the same guy year after year. After hiding the paper from my then 6 year old, I read the article, and it was very interesting. From what I remember they were mostly retired men who wanted to spread holiday happiness. Many had been told they looked like Santa. I can't remember the whole story, but one made me cry because his wife had recently died. Anyway, my DH decided which looked most like the real Santa, and that is where we went!:lmao:

We celebrate Halloween here. I just think of it has fun. I decorate a little, the kids dress up, and we all go trick or treating! Fun, fun!!

imthatgirl
09-22-2008, 02:59 PM
Hey I respect your choices and on some level they do make sense to me but I do have to say that I think hugging a stranger is a lot more intimate if you will than sitting on their lap. JMHO of course.

like i said i can only think of one time my children hugged a character and that was cinderella. i will admit i have an easier time letting them hug women than men. is that wrong, i dont know, i dont care.
my children are really huggy with me, daddy, grandparents...but they arent so much with other people. but im good woth that. i dont encourage them to ever hug other people.

princessmom29
09-22-2008, 03:20 PM
all i said was i dont let santa touch my children. there was no need for anyone to get defensive in their comments. i never said anyone had to do the same. i would think anyone who was comfortable in the choices they make as a parent really wouldnt care about the choices i make.
we do halloween. a poster said she doesnt trust people and doesnt let her children do it. i am quite secure in the way that i parent that i didnt feel the need to jump all over her. she makes her decisions and i make mine.

I totally understand you position here, but something you mentioned earlier about your hasband's line of work makes me wonder. You implied that he job involved investigating crimes agianst children. Do you think that your opinion has something to do with that? Not judging, just asking. Could it be that all of the negative you hear makes you less trusting? Agian not a bad thing just a frame of reference. I personally don't really worry about santa's lap ect as long as I am right there watching. I choose to believe that ppl are generally good, but be smart about watching my kids. I just can't spend my life being suspicious of everryone i come in contact with. I would be miserable.

NotUrsula
09-22-2008, 03:26 PM
OK, so it's a bit OT, but twice in one thread is just too much for me:

Anyways...Episcopalian is basically the Church of England (when it split with the Pope over an Annulment of King Henry VIII). Today Very very similar to the Catholic church in terms of mass. Its basically in the middle between Catholism and Protestant. Definitely Catholic without all the guilt. (I was raised catholic)

I love religion, it intrigues me. but I have to be honest there are a couple Ive just never looked into much. Episcopalian being one of them, also Protestant and Lutheran. but maybe now I will have to.

Lutherans and Episcopalians ARE Protestants. So are Baptists, and Methodists, and Presbyterians, and COC, and COGIC, and Unitarians, and all of the other "Christian" denominations (with the possible exception of LDS and Jehovah's Witnesses, who reject the concept of the Trinity.) Essentially, the simplest definition of Protestant is "All Christians OTHER than Roman Catholic or Eastern Orthodox Christian." All Protestant denominations adhere to the theses called the Five Solas, and that is what makes them Protestant; these doctrines "protest" or disagree with certain key points of Roman Catholic doctrine as it was at the time of the Reformation.

I think that the distinction that a lot of people are trying to make when they say things like this is the difference between so-called Evangelical Christianity and those who do not consider themselves Evangelical, which would be most RC's and members of most of the older mainstream Protestant churches such as Lutheran or Episcopal. However, I'm here to tell you that I personally know both some Catholics and some Lutherans who definitely qualify as Evangelical in their worship style and beliefs. People blur lines on a lot of things in this day and age.

Back to topic: Love Halloween, and not least because it helped put me through college. I've been making costumes since I learned to sew at age 6, and Halloween was always a profitable time of year for me back when I did it for a living. AFAIC, it's fun and nothing more meaningful than that. A bunch of people running around in Batman and Star Wars villain getups (or even French Maid outfits) doesn't pose any kind of threat to my religious beliefs. FWIW, I'm RC.

richmond282
09-22-2008, 03:29 PM
We don't "celebrate" Halloween either. I grew up not celebrating and just really haven't gotten into as an adult either. We do attend the Fall Festival at our church. They have food, inflatables and carnival games. My DD4 would rather do those things than knock on doors anyway.

swald91
09-22-2008, 03:33 PM
I totally understand you position here, but something you mentioned earlier about your hasband's line of work makes me wonder. You implied that he job involved investigating crimes agianst children. Do you think that your opinion has something to do with that? Not judging, just asking. Could it be that all of the negative you hear makes you less trusting? Agian not a bad thing just a frame of reference. I personally don't really worry about santa's lap ect as long as I am right there watching. I choose to believe that ppl are generally good, but be smart about watching my kids. I just can't spend my life being suspicious of everryone i come in contact with. I would be miserable.

I know you want imthatgirl to answer, but I want to answer too! My husband is a trooper & I was getting squashed not too long ago by the transportation thread & my kids sitting alone while flying. I stand by my statement about how kids should not sit w/o a parent because I know alot of things happen to children as well. People may look fine but they are not always!! I don't live my life looking at people & trying to figure them out, but if I see something that doesn't sit well in my gut, then I react. I think we are living in a society today where we are VERY cautious! Better to be a bit more cautious then no cares at all!!!! Holidays are no exception to when "freaks" come out!

Ducky4Disney
09-22-2008, 03:34 PM
First, I would like to applaud everyone who has posted so far in a positive, understanding, and informative manner. I didn't think it was possible for a thread like this to go 5 pages!

I am beginning to regret that statement. Apparantly 5 pages is the max for a thread like this!

D4D

imthatgirl
09-22-2008, 03:42 PM

oh its possible, even probable. of course. but i dont find anything wrong with not wanting my kids to sit on strangers laps. that seems quite normal to me. my kids are given many freedoms, i do let my daughter go around the circle on her bike, she os over a friends house now where there isnt a parent home to watch(im babysitting the little girl so im going to walk over there every 15-20 minutes). i certainly dont mistrust everyone i cme into contact with. but those 2 things, letting my 8yo walk to and from school alone and putting them on mens laps, are things that i just dont feel are necessary for children to grow up happy and healthy.

imthatgirl
09-22-2008, 03:47 PM
I know you want imthatgirl to answer, but I want to answer too! My husband is a trooper & I was getting squashed not too long ago by the transportation thread & my kids sitting alone while flying. I stand by my statement about how kids should not sit w/o a parent because I know alot of things happen to children as well. People may look fine but they are not always!! I don't live my life looking at people & trying to figure them out, but if I see something that doesn't sit well in my gut, then I react. I think we are living in a society today where we are VERY cautious! Better to be a bit more cautious then no cares at all!!!! Holidays are no exception to when "freaks" come out!

YES!! thats what i want to say! if im uneasy about a situation, im not going to second guess myself. theres no need to. id rather take my child from the situation and be wrong then put them in the situation and that be the wrong decision.

swald91
09-22-2008, 03:50 PM
YES!! thats what i want to say! if im uneasy about a situation, im not going to second guess myself. theres no need to. id rather take my child from the situation and be wrong then put them in the situation and that be the wrong decision.

Kudos to us!!!!! Absolutely-the safety of our children come first. :goodvibes

SLK1
09-22-2008, 03:54 PM
Kudos to us!!!!! Absolutely-the safety of our children come first. :goodvibes

See? Now that's the type of comment that might make people defensive...I think we all believe the safety of our children comes first. :)

swald91
09-22-2008, 04:04 PM
See? Now that's the type of comment that might make people defensive...I think we all believe the safety of our children comes first. :)

I don't mean just the 2 of us....some people are just not aware of the danger and some of us don't like to think that it's around us. I know some people think I don't trust anyone-and that's ok. We all care about our children-at least everyone I know-some people just don't realize we live in a dangerous world. Growing up today is not like it was 10 years ago. My parents gave me so much more freedom-just walking home from school-but unfortunately today it's so different. I'm sorry that sounds so defensive but this is a family thread & I'm pretty confident that anyone who comments to these posts care about their children. Otherwise-why would they even bother commenting?:confused3

Belle4mygrl
Imthatgirl, what is wicca?

I understand you are pagan. Is that worshipping trees, sun, stars, etc?

AmyBWV99
It's my DH's favorite holiday next to Xmas so we celebrate but we let the kiddos dress up and hand out candy instead of dragging them out. They are young so they haven't a clue that they could be out there too. The 3 year old loves handing out treats. It doens't get any more attention in our house than other holidays but it is a part of the fall season for us as are the fall races we run.

imthatgirl
09-22-2008, 04:11 PM
Imthatgirl, what is wicca?

I understand you are pagan. Is that worshipping trees, sun, stars, etc?

haha..i like trees, but no i do not worship them. but yes it is an earth centered religion.
what is it, well i guess i could write as book. im not in the mood, sorry. but here is the basic wikipedia definition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiccans

and heres another website with more info.

http://www.unc.edu/~reddeer/00_mindex.frameset.html

roliepolieoliefan
09-22-2008, 04:12 PM
I don't mean just the 2 of us....some people are just not aware of the danger and some of us don't like to think that it's around us. I know some people think I don't trust anyone-and that's ok. We all care about our children-at least everyone I know-some people just don't realize we live in a dangerous world. Growing up today is not like it was 10 years ago. My parents gave me so much more freedom-just walking home from school-but unfortunately today it's so different. I'm sorry that sounds so defensive but this is a family thread & I'm pretty confident that anyone who comments to these posts care about their children. Otherwise-why would they even bother commenting?:confused3

I'm well aware of the dangers around my children. There are some things that another pp stated that she let her children do that I would never in a million years.

Every parent has their own way and what may be OK for some isn't for another and vice versa. But some comments do come off as a little"high and mighty".

livndisney
09-22-2008, 05:14 PM
haha..i like trees, but no i do not worship them. but yes it is an earth centered religion.
what is it, well i guess i could write as book. im not in the mood, sorry. but here is the basic wikipedia definition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiccans

and heres another website with more info.

http://www.unc.edu/~reddeer/00_mindex.frameset.html

May I ask how Santa and Christmas measure into that? I know there is a Christmas TREE,:confused3

Mouse House Mama
09-22-2008, 05:34 PM
I'm well aware of the dangers around my children. There are some things that another pp stated that she let her children do that I would never in a million years.

Every parent has their own way and what may be OK for some isn't for another and vice versa. But some comments do come off as a little"high and mighty".

I think this sums it up exactly.

imthatgirl
09-22-2008, 06:01 PM
May I ask how Santa and Christmas measure into that? I know there is a Christmas TREE,:confused3

we do santa in our house and christmas along with winter solstice.
the tree issue is an issue among pagans. there are many different groups of pagans. some dating back in history did not cut down trees as would have been disruptive to the earth. others did and used the tree to honor the gods.

we have a fake tree, put us in which ever catagory youd like;)

interesting tidbit...jeremiah 10 1:16 tells christians not to cut down trees as it was the way of the heathen.
traditions change, theyre supposed to.

livndisney
09-22-2008, 06:09 PM
we do santa in our house and christmas along with winter solstice.
the tree issue is an issue among pagans. there are many different groups of pagans. some dating back in history did not cut down trees as would have been disruptive to the earth. others did and used the tree to honor the gods.

we have a fake tree, put us in which ever catagory youd like;)

interesting tidbit...jeremiah 10 1:16 tells christians not to cut down trees as it was the way of the heathen.
traditions change, theyre supposed to.

"Category?":confused3. You stated you studied religion, so I asked a question.

imthatgirl
09-22-2008, 06:11 PM
"Category?":confused3. You stated you studied religion, so I asked a question.

and i answered it, did i not:confused3

livndisney
09-22-2008, 06:22 PM
and i answered it, did i not:confused3

And so nicely. But that still didn't answer what "category" has to do with it. But no matter. To each their own.;)

Found a category!

imthatgirl
09-22-2008, 07:22 PM
And so nicely. But that still didn't answer what "category" has to do with it. But no matter. To each their own.;)

youve completely lost me.

i said there were different things pagans did, you can put my family in either category.

Alesia
09-22-2008, 09:17 PM

Found a category!

I'm not really sure why you seem so snippy.

She just said that some pagans don't believe in cutting down trees and some do have Christmas trees. Since she has an artificial tree, she fits into either category.

Beth E. (NJ)
09-22-2008, 09:22 PM
Since this has gone way off track and straying into fighting and bickering I'm going to close the thread.