PDA

View Full Version : something special for 13 year old boy

dianemb
09-15-2008, 01:19 PM
We've been to disney about 4 times with our son and always have a great time. We are all looking forward to our December trip, but i'm looking for a little something extra. He is now too old for the charecter meals so we're not doing any of those. He's also to old for autograph books and the Epcot passport. I usually have a basket delivered to the room but the snacks always seems to go untouched and he's not really into the little gifts (ie auto graph book, pen ect) that come with it. What could I do that different? It's not really neccessary but I would like to do something.

THANKS

amandaraye
09-15-2008, 01:27 PM
I'm not sure of your son's interests but for my teenage son who's an outdoorsman and a fisherman I think I'm going to book him the BASS fishing tour. They go out on a fishing boat in the lake (all catch-and-release) and they also get a gift subscription to BASS Master magazine. I know how you feel. I had a really hard time coming up with something special for my DS. Easy for my littler ones who loves princesses and pirates.:confused3

Sorry, not very helpful, I know. just figured I'd throw that out there.

MSSANDRA
09-15-2008, 01:46 PM
What about Disney Quest????

Let him pick a resturant or two and let him help plan out the days.

PrincessKsMom
09-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Lunch/dinner at Coral Reef with a personalized menu (pictures of him from previous trips perhaps), or go to Discovery Cove. It's pricey but the best money I've ever spent. We included the dolphin swim and it was the absolute highlight of our trip. (BTW, my DD will be 13 in November, so these are the things that appealed to her when we went at the end of August).

Sandi
09-15-2008, 02:57 PM
Would he be interested in one of the backstage tours? My DD13 can't wait to turn 16 so we can do the Segway tour. A couple of years ago, she did the surfing school at TL, but that's been suspended until next year. The Discovery Cove idea is wonderful. That would be a real hit, I'm sure.

dianemb
09-15-2008, 03:19 PM
Thanks everyone. He really dosen't like to be the center of attention so although the coral reef menu idea sounds great I think he would be embarressed. He did help with the planning so he will have several resturaunts to look forward to. As much as I love Disney it has always had more things for girls and now it's almost non existent for boys of his age.

carstinsmom
09-15-2008, 03:24 PM
I know every child is different but my son just turned 13, we are going in Feb. and he is still looking forward to going to Chef Mickey's. There are several themed without character places to eat too that we are going to try. The new T-Rex in DTD is suppose to be really neat and Disney Quest is there too, he loves that. You could also try the Hoop De Do Revue or Ohana's at the Polynesian. My son also likes trading the Disney Pins so you could get him a starter set. There is also a Hidden Mickey's book and a Disney's Secrets book that has lots of neat things to look for that my son enjoys also. Hope this helps!!

disneyplanningdad
09-15-2008, 04:58 PM
If you don't want to g all the way overto Discovery Cove try the Epcot Aquaseas tour. My boys loved it when we did it. It's a backstage tour of the living seas and then you get into wetsuits and modified scuba gear and swim for a half hour in the tank. You actually walk through the crowd to get to the diving platform. My sons thought it was so cool to have hundreds of people looking at them like they were CM's. if that's not cool enough swimming with sharks and groupers and turtles will be plenty for him to tell his friends about back home. It's $115 each for a 2 1/2 hr tour including a t-shirt group photo and snacks and drinks. He will need an adult to take the tour with him. Here are some trip reports: http://allears.net/btp/tours.htm#aqua

solgent
09-15-2008, 07:13 PM
I only have girls, but a special activity I'd like to do one of these days is the horseback ride at Ft Wilderness.

Another idea is La Nouba. We saw it a few years back & were mesmerized.

lucigo
09-15-2008, 11:15 PM
This is a "cheap" idea but have you ever gotten him a hidden Mickey book?

parmtoo
09-16-2008, 05:44 AM
What about Disney Quest????

Let him pick a resturant or two and let him help plan out the days.

My DS just turned 13 and we're going in Jan. He is really looking forward to Disney Quest and golfing with Dad, (DH has been deployed for over a year now).
Last night DS told me he wants to have dinner at the steak house in Canada, Epcot. He LOVES to eat, see signature:rotfl:
He also loves to rent the sea racers at FW. Good luck!

disneyplanningdad
09-16-2008, 09:06 AM
This is a "cheap" idea but have you ever gotten him a hidden Mickey book?

OH, that's a good one. My boys have a lot of fun with that. It becomes a sort of competition.

MO Nurse
09-16-2008, 12:22 PM
My DS will be 16 when we return to Disney and my twin DDs will be 13. We are renting searaycers and they are all excited about this. My son is also into video games and is looking forward to DQ so I would recommend in finding out if this would be of interest to your son.

minniebeth
09-16-2008, 06:42 PM
These are all great ideas! From another similar thread someone suggested lunch or dinner with an imagineer. I'm not sure of any of the details, but I think there is info. on allears about it.
Good luck!

licountrygirl
09-16-2008, 06:56 PM
My son will be almost 13 when we go in October and as a special gift to him, I booked us both on the Living Seas Aqua Tour in Epcot. You actually go into the big tank! With the Disney Visa discount, it was $184 for the both of us. I'm very excited and I know he's going to be thrilled.

My husband and daughter will do something together while we are at Epcot in the tank!

java
09-16-2008, 06:56 PM
My son (14) loved the dinner at the California Grill. And he loved the night we went to Disney Quest=but it was crazy crowded.

He suggested renting the little boats. At 13 I think he is old enough to go out alone in a boat.