PDA

View Full Version : Concerned about chickenpox

disneyJMD
09-13-2008, 10:24 AM
My DS1 was exposed to another child at daycare this week who has chickenpox. My child has not yet been vaccinated, as the dr decided to wait to 15 months and just draw blood for testing at his 12 month well baby checkup--completely regretting that decision now! I calculated out the estimated incubation period of 14-20 days, and that puts us right into the middle of our long awaited trip. I want to be prepared, but none of the other three kids have had chickenpox before (as they are all vaccinated), so I am looking for suggestions, and any local clinics that I can be prepared with in case this is necessary while we are visiting WDW. I don't really know what I should pack for medical "stuff" or to treat the blisters in case we run into this problem. Any help is truly appreciated...

antree
09-13-2008, 03:34 PM
Sorry to say we are going to have a outbreak of the chicken poxs. Have you called your Dr? maybe there is something he can do. Your child is going to be
Contagious for 2 days before it appears and continue until sores scab. The early symptoms of chicken pox are cold symptoms, fever, abdominal pain, headache, and a general feeling of illness. These can come with the rash or a day or two before it. The fever may be higher the first few days after the rash appears.
So I would make sure you have tylenol for fever and or pain. Lotion for itch.

Celebration hospital is not far from Disney;

400 Celebration Place
Celebration, FL 34747
407-303-4000

Maybe someone else will have were the clinics are. I can't find it right now.
Good luck.

natnelliesmom
09-13-2008, 03:40 PM
Thats GREAT that he was exposed- maybe you'll get lucky and he'll catch it. Then he'll have lifetime immunity. The varicella vaccine requires 10 year boosters for life. How many people are going to remember to get them? The virus is so much more dangerous for adults than children.
It's not so great that it's right before your trip. The good thing is that there is an incubation period. Bring plenty of Tylenol and Motrin to control his fever. Oatmeal bath powders can help the itching and Calamine lotion is wonderful to spot treat each blister. I can remember my mom giving me a little cup of Calamine and a q-tip. I could dab each of my spots with lotion and it kept me busy!
You should let your pediatrician know now- there may be something else that he/she would recommend.
Good luck! I wish I could find someone to expose my DD to!
-Sarah

jodifla
09-13-2008, 05:25 PM
Thats GREAT that he was exposed- maybe you'll get lucky and he'll catch it. Then he'll have lifetime immunity. The varicella vaccine requires 10 year boosters for life. How many people are going to remember to get them? The virus is so much more dangerous for adults than children.
It's not so great that it's right before your trip. The good thing is that there is an incubation period. Bring plenty of Tylenol and Motrin to control his fever. Oatmeal bath powders can help the itching and Calamine lotion is wonderful to spot treat each blister. I can remember my mom giving me a little cup of Calamine and a q-tip. I could dab each of my spots with lotion and it kept me busy!
You should let your pediatrician know now- there may be something else that he/she would recommend.
Good luck! I wish I could find someone to expose my DD to!
-Sarah

I wouldn't wish chicken pox on anybody! I still have scars from it.

mjantz
09-13-2008, 05:43 PM
I wouldn't wish chicken pox on anybody! I still have scars from it.

So do I (have scars that is). When DS was little & I was debating the shot for him, I discussed it with my mother. She said 'If I could have kept you from having chicken pox I would have done it. I'd get him the shot.' FYI that I spent 2 full weeks out of school (3rd grade) & it would have been 3 had it not been spring break the following week. My mother remembers smearing my spots with calamine lotion & me telling her 'Please don't hold me. It hurts too much. Could you just sit right here by me?'.

To the OP: Your son is young so his case will probably not be bad at all. I think my brother was about the same age as your DS & IIRC he had about 5 pox total & didn't act that sick. My mom couldn't even figure out what was wrong with him until they went to the dr. And, he may not get it. There are some people who appear to have a natural immunity. My SIL has been exposed numerous times & has never had chicken pox.

melcan
09-13-2008, 06:38 PM
Also, once you have chicken pox you can get shingles when you get older and shingles were far more irritating than I remember chicken pox ever being.

disneyJMD
09-13-2008, 07:02 PM
I am hoping he doesn't get them, or that it is not too bad. We have had the dates of this trip planned out for 18 months, and have been counting down since I booked ADRs 6months out. I am going to have his immunization done this week anyways--I figure if any one else in his day care comes down with them while we are gone, at least he will have had the shot and I won't have to worry anymore--although that is assuming that he doesn't come down with them on the trip.

3BoysRDisneyFreaks
09-13-2008, 07:08 PM
DS#2 had chicken pox when he was 11 months old. They weren't that bad of a case, but of course he has a few scars because he was 11 months old when he had them.

I used to work at a day care and we had families where 1 kid would get them and the others would not. This was in the days before the vaccines.

Hopefully baby won't have them for vacation. The heat would be murder on the pox.

Sarah

Missin'Disney
09-13-2008, 07:15 PM
Hoping your little guy doesn't get sick in Disney!!
I got the Chicken Pox @ WDW many years ago. I was 15 at the time, and I got such an awful case I have about a hundred scars almost 20 years later. Of course the age I got them at is what made the difference. I missed a whole month of school. I had about the worst case my ped ever saw :eek:
It was gross.
good luck to you guys. I'm hoping you have a wonderful trip :lovestruc

Narnia
09-13-2008, 08:10 PM
My five kids have all gooten it and non had even a skin infection from it. My kids weren't itchy but they had runny eyes and noses. I actually looked on the vaccine's site. If you do choose the needle your child could infect other people! Its not a win win situation if we take one virus out a new one will take it's place. Both ways it's scary. My dd had the measles vaccine and broke out in measles! We also think she had gotten the chicken pox off of another vaccinated kid( she played with at least 6 toddlers at the time that just got the shot!)

http://chealth.canoe.ca/drug_info_details.asp?channel_id=0&relation_id=0&brand_name_id=1509&page_no=2

Transmission: Rarely, healthy people taking the vaccine who develop a varicella-like rash may transmit vaccine virus to healthy susceptible people. People taking the vaccine should try to avoid, whenever possible, close contact with susceptible high-risk people (e.g., people who are immunocompromised, pregnant women without a history of chickenpox, newborns of mothers without a history of chickenpox) for up to 6 weeks after receiving the vaccine.

Lilogirl
09-13-2008, 08:44 PM
http://chealth.canoe.ca/drug_info_details.asp?channel_id=0&relation_id=0&brand_name_id=1509&page_no=2

Transmission: Rarely, healthy people taking the vaccine who develop a varicella-like rash may transmit vaccine virus to healthy susceptible people. People taking the vaccine should try to avoid, whenever possible, close contact with susceptible high-risk people (e.g., people who are immunocompromised, pregnant women without a history of chickenpox, newborns of mothers without a history of chickenpox) for up to 6 weeks after receiving the vaccine.

So if I am reading this right, it does not sound like it is a good idea to get the vaccine and then head to WDW. I can't imagine anything more "close" than some of the lines at Disney!

melcan
09-13-2008, 08:58 PM
To the OP, I'm sure your pediatrician will steer you in the right direction. Good Luck. I hope everything turns out fine.

karliebug
09-14-2008, 08:45 AM
also, just because your little one was exposed doesn't mean he'll get it. My little girl drank out of the same glass with her cousin, who got the chicken pox the very next day and she never got it. If your child does get them while at WDW, they may not be able to fly home and I would say you will have a miserable time sitting in the hotel with him. You really can't take him out and expose everyone else, plus he'll probably be fussy and miserable.

disneyandme
09-14-2008, 09:45 PM
I was thinking the same thing-- the airlines may not let you fly there or back.