PDA

View Full Version : 5K Move Up Day-opinions needed!

Donna2105
09-12-2008, 10:44 AM
My youngest 2 children attend a charter school in our city. The school is for 4k(4 yr old kindergarten, all full day) through 6th grade. Well, I just found out that they now have a "5k Move Up Day" in June for students in the 5 yr old kindergarten program. It must be relatively new because they didn't do this when my son was in 5k.

I was just wondering if anyone else has this sort of thing in their schools. I mean, I'm all for pomp and circumstance when appropriate but at this point most of the students have already been there for 2 years and will be staying there for 1st grade. There not going anywhere. The first grade classrooms are on the same floor as the kindergarten rooms(so are the second graders for that matter). :rotfl:

I guess I just don't understand why they need to celebrate every little thing. They already have a 4k & 5k awards ceremony in June. Isn't that enough? :confused3

budbeerlady
09-12-2008, 11:36 AM
So its more like a graduation? Our move up days are room visitations.

We have grade move up days here, DD loves it. But its just visiting the classrooms, meeting the new teacher, etc the last Monday of school. There is no ceremony, just the kids meeting new teachers, seeing new rooms, etc. They do it thru 5th grade here.

Donna2105
09-12-2008, 11:47 AM
Nope, a full on ceremony complete with caps and gowns :confused3 I just think it's crazy.

bjeannep
09-12-2008, 01:39 PM
We have a ceremony, but no caps and gowns. Just the little kids in dress clothes. It was funny when my DD asked me at the end of first grade why she wasn't "Graduating" again.

jnzimm
09-12-2008, 02:22 PM
Well I guess you know where tuition money is being spent. I think the whole idea of any kind of ceremony before high school graduation is a little odd. All children are required by law to be in some sort of an eductional situation until a certain age. Glamorizing these situations,IMO, only leads to the old I desevr it mentality.

2tinkerbells
09-12-2008, 03:45 PM
My dd had a kindergarten recognition day. They did not wear cap and gowns, although beforehand they had pictures made in them. The kids were individually called to the front and the principal shook their hands and congratulated them on a great year. They did their end of the year music program with this. It was cute but not over the top.

Donna2105
09-15-2008, 10:54 AM
Glamorizing these situations,IMO, only leads to the old I desevr it mentality.

This is exactly how I feel. But no one else seems to see my point. My kids know they are expected to go to school and work hard everyday because THAT'S THEIR JOB. All my kids have been recognized at the end of school awards ceremony because they worked hard and their teachers choose to present them with an award.

I know they're only in kindergarten but why not instill in them the notion that working hard gets you an award and you don't get one just because you're moving up to 1st grade. If that's the case, then why don't all the other grades have "move up day" as well? :confused: