PDA

View Full Version : To take a carseat or not to take a carseat?

eyenjeff
09-12-2008, 10:02 AM
We are going to Disney in Dec and my daughter will be two on Monday. She is still obviously in a car seat here at home.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether to take a carseat on the plane still or just use the lapbelt? I hate carrying that carseat around as it is really heavy, but I will always err on the side of caution and I am worried about NOT bringing it.

When we went last yr, they would not let us board ahead of time to secure the seat and we held up the line to get on the plane becasue we were in the front of the plane. This yr going to Orlando we are in Row 4 so again we will have the same issue. It is soo stressful when you are trying to secure something to keep your child safe, and then people are agitated behind you trying to knock you over to get passed.
I know that if I bring the carseat, then she will sleep on the plane and I wont have to worry about her getting out of her seat. Maybe I just answered my own question.

Does anyone have any experience with a 2 yr old on a plane? What did you do? Any suggestions would be great!!
Thanks!!!

imthatgirl
09-12-2008, 10:16 AM
we always bring car seats, but we always rent our own car. i think if i wasnt renting a car and relying on buses all week, i wouldnt bring it.

happymommy
09-12-2008, 10:27 AM
I second that - if you aren't renting a car, I'd skip the carseat. Unless your child is super active, you can be fine without it.

I flew with my kids when my DD was 2 and didn't bring one. It would have been such a hassle. I think the only times we flew with them were when our kids were infants.

Just plan on keeping them entertained on the flight - plan ahead with little treats! I loved color wonder markers back then - they don't make a mess (and if one or two drops between the seats, leave it and just bring extras, as I find the germy icky stuff gross). With snacks and stuff, sometimes I felt bad for the people cleaning up after us on the plane!:rotfl2:

Minniemouse07
09-12-2008, 10:29 AM
Since I'm a car seat tech I am a bit biased...but we use a car seat on the plane every trip as long as our kids are using seats that can be used on the plane (ie, dd was 6.5yo on our last trip and her seat isn't FAA approved so she doesn't use a seat on the plane now). The last time we flew before this past December, dd was 3.5yo and she slept almost all of both flights in her car seat! :thumbsup2

Ds was just 2yo during our December trip and we found it really easy to use his car seat on the plane... rear facing even! He was riding in a Britax Boulevard at the time and it fit really well in the airplane's seat.

There are lots of ways to get the car seat through the airport. OR.. to forgo the car seat altogether.

Go Go Kids makes a travel cart for car seats. It is pricey though at $79 on Amazon.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Q%2BWV1Q1UL._SS400_.jpg

The Traveling Toddler is less expensive at $14.99 (also at Amazon), but you need to use your own wheeled carry on.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41iYY8LAPqL._SS400_.jpg

The Samsonite Micro Mover luggage cart is an older option (and what we've used for the last 6yrs) and about $25. The bonus w/ this is that it collapses easily to store in a backpack or other carry on.
Collapsed:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51V6XME4FXL._AA280_.jpg

Extended:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31J3GGRSD9L._SS400_.jpg

Lastly...the CARES harness. This is NOT a car seat but a harness specifically designed for airplane use. This is a great option for a family that flies often and does NOT need a child restraint at their destination. The harness costs about $75 (at the CARES website) but you can also "rent" one on eBay.
The CARES harness can only be used with children between 22 and 44lbs and there have been some reports of younger/smaller children submarining a bit due to it not having a crotch strap.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Lj5Cez7eL._SL500_AA250_.jpg

ALSO... here is a great website (http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/airplanetravel.aspx)w/ a TON of great info about using carseats on airplanes.

As for installing the seat on the plane w/o inconveniencing others...we divide and conquer! One of us boards w/ everyone else w/ the car seat and installs it while the other waits in the boarding area w/ the car seat user! I like letting the kids run around as much as possible before boarding!

Generally we then board the plane about 5 min or so after the first parent. It works out REALLY well for us.

HTH!

Jakesmom504
09-12-2008, 10:30 AM
I agree with the previous poster. If I were renting a car, definitely would be bringing the seat but we just got back and we didn't bring DS seat. Granted he's 4, but he is still in a carseat (hopefully not for much longer). We will be getting him a booster soon. We just buckled him in. In fact on our flight down, we sat across from a family that had 2 toddler boys (well, probably 2 and 4) and 1 little girl that looked to be about 8 months old. None were in carseats, the mom held the baby. Have fun!:thumbsup2

lezammer
09-12-2008, 09:36 PM
I'm leaving in 2 weeks with my 2yo, 3yo and 5yo. I agree that if I were renting a car, I would either bring their car seats or rent one. In fact, I rented one from Babies Best Friend about 4 yrs ago with my oldest. But since we are not (thank God!), I will skip them altogether. God knows if I had to lug all 3 car seats and my children through the airport (and a stroller since my youngest LOVES to run away from me, not to mention my handcarry) I would just shoot mysel! Anyway, have a great trip!!

cindilou1977
09-12-2008, 09:41 PM
We brought ours last week for our 2.5 year old. It was nice on the plane as he was able to fall asleep and was not squirming all over. It was a pain to transfer it but we just put it on our double stroller and it worked.

My husband however has vowed to not travel with them anymore.

tanyaandallie
09-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Best practice is definitely to bring a seat for your child on the plane. If your little one was older, I might skip it, but at 2, I'd take it. Your child will be far more comfy on the plane in her carseat.

If you don't want to lug the carseat and you are not going to rent a car or take a taxi while you are at Disney, I would consider the CARES harness. You can actually rent them on ebay.

5 for WDW
09-12-2008, 10:49 PM
I wouldn't consider not bringing a seat if it were me. We have always used a car seat on the plane. Until each of the kids were 4.
But, I am not a fan of flying. I feel much better knowing my kids are safe and sound in their car seats when they are young. It helps to calm my flying fears a little as well.
It also helps to keep them from getting out of the seat since they know they have to stay in their car seat in the car.

Have a great trip what ever you decide!:goodvibes

dnlsmith
09-12-2008, 10:55 PM
I have been struggling with the same issue. After confiring with some Dis'ers
I decided take the car seat. We are renting a car and the car rental place won't confirm a carseat rental so we have to bring it anyway. I also decided that I know my little one will be more comfortable in it and will probably sleep because she is comfortable. This is important for us because our flights are between 7-9 hours long. Sure it is a bit of a hassle but I would rather have that than trying to entertain a toddler who doesn't want to stay in her seat, therefore screaming and bothering eberyone else on the plane. I hope you can come to a decision that fits your situation as I did. Good luck!:goodvibes

kimmylaj
09-13-2008, 07:29 AM
just got back with my 25 month old no car seat for the first time. she slept from takeoffon the way there and back. but hey she did have a smidge of benadryl because she does get motion sick.

FunkyDuck
09-13-2008, 03:04 PM
I am so torn. We will be traveling in Nov. My dd will be 18mos. We have a Britax Boulevard (HEAVY). We do not need a car seat once we arrive (ME). Our plane ride is only 2.5 hours. I'm torn between our car seat...which I don't look forward to lugging in the airport...and the CARES harness. She is already 24lbs. (22-40lbs allowable for harness). I've read about the slippage of smaller children...but one of the ideas I have come across, was to bring that rubberized shelf liner and place a square on the airline seat...to keep child from slipping. Thoughts? Help!

mrstomrice
09-13-2008, 03:12 PM
We did not use one for our 23 month old last month. He fit nicely in the seat with a belt (we bought him a seat) I did end up holding him as he fell asleep on our flight home, but it was fine. We couldn't have handled another thing to carry and we don't fly enough to spend money on those cool holders:)

pooh4evr
09-13-2008, 06:12 PM
the first time we took the girls DD#2 was 23 mos we did not take a seat (never really thought about it because we did not need a car either) and she did fine on the flights - we took small toys, coloring books and snacks- some will tell you it is a must but it has always worked out for us not to take one.

bumbershoot
09-13-2008, 11:44 PM
We used a seat for DS until he was 3.5, and actually that trip was a fluke b/c I was alone with him and just exhausted on a FULL flight, and couldn't handle carrying it without hitting everyone AND deal with him, so I just gate checked it at the very last moment.

But before then all but one of our flights was with the seat (first was with him as lap baby and that was a mistake I'll never make again!). I really liked having the seat and would recommend it.

As for blocking people, how were you blocking people? Well I guess if all three of you are trying to get on right then, it might cause problems, but since the carseat has to be next to the window, I've just put my carryons on the aisle seat, sent DS to the middle seat, I tuck in with the seat to the window, wrestle with it, then pop him into the seat and figure out everything else. I almost never have anything to put up above so running out of that room makes no difference, and even if I have something for above I put it in the bin while kneeling on the aisle seat anyway, so I'm still not out in the aisle.

If you've got more than you and your child, then I'm with this:

As for installing the seat on the plane w/o inconveniencing others...we divide and conquer! One of us boards w/ everyone else w/ the car seat and installs it while the other waits in the boarding area w/ the car seat user! I like letting the kids run around as much as possible before boarding!

Minniemouse07
09-14-2008, 09:28 AM
I am so torn. We will be traveling in Nov. My dd will be 18mos. We have a Britax Boulevard (HEAVY). We do not need a car seat once we arrive (ME). Our plane ride is only 2.5 hours. I'm torn between our car seat...which I don't look forward to lugging in the airport...and the CARES harness. She is already 24lbs. (22-40lbs allowable for harness). I've read about the slippage of smaller children...but one of the ideas I have come across, was to bring that rubberized shelf liner and place a square on the airline seat...to keep child from slipping. Thoughts? Help!

We took our Boulevard for ds last December w/ no problems. It fit on the plane just fine (Southwest) and we used the Samsonite Micromover to pull it through the airport.

thepeach80
09-15-2008, 12:33 PM
We went to WDW last year and all of my kids had their carseats on the plane. So that was a 4.5yo, an almost 3yo, and a 10 mos, plus we gate checked our double stroller and everyone pretty much had their own carryon. Was it easy, not particularly, but I wouldn't have had it any other way.

pinktink83
09-15-2008, 12:43 PM
Well, if you plan on driving from the airport to Disneyland, then YES, you need her carseat! It's kind of the law. ;) Yes, it is a pain to drag it through the airport, but you don't need to buckle it in right away. Just plop it on the seat, sit down and wait for everyone else to board. Then take those few minutes before they close off the doors to stand up and buckle it in properly. No biggie.

Or you could just ignore the eye-rolling since your child's safety is more important than what a few strangers think. Its their own dang fault anyway for complaining about families getting "Special treatment". Well, they got what they wanted...families boarding with everyone else and holding up the line! Oh well, they'll all live!

dixie321
09-15-2008, 04:25 PM
We used on car seats (3.5 yo and 22 months) on the way there, but chose not to use them on the way back. My 3.5 year-old's knees were crammed against the seat in front of him on the plane when the person in front of us decided to recline. My almost 2 year old used the opportunity to kick the seat in front of her since it was so close. On the way back without the seats (we checked them), it was a little difficult to keep everyone seated and the kids changed places a lot, but it was a much better experience for us. We would not use them again on a plane.

3girls4me05
09-15-2008, 04:46 PM
Take the carseat! I returned a few weeks ago with our two yr old. My DH tried to talk me out of taking the carseat. I insisted. We were also using ME and the buses-no rental car. However I wanted her comfy on the plane and using her seat would ensure that. We took a Cosco Scenera. We have a Britax Marathon and no way would I want to lug that. The Cosco is lightweight but easy to install (and cheap..$40 at Walmart). I don't regret it for a moment. She was happy and safe. On the flight home the plane had problems that were only discovered after we boarded. We were at the gate for about an hour before we took off. My DD was fine while we were waiting and then fell asleep before drinks were served (and slept for the rest of the flight). OTOH two rows in front of us was a little girl who looked to be about three and she did not have a carseat. She was awful! She couldn't get comfy and was crying and tantruming. I really urge you to bring the seat.

1hero2princesses
09-15-2008, 05:32 PM
We are leaving in a few days. We will be taking ME and disney busses so will not use a seat while we are there but I am taking it for the plane for our youngest 17 months. I don't think she will want to get down and run nearly as much, and might even sleep. I am sure she could wiggle out from under a regular belt. Of course my older two are also in car seats at home but they will just use the seat belt on the plane. Somehow we are gonna get through the airport with 2 strollers a car seat and carry on's. It is a short period of time so somehow we will get there. Hopefully we aren't the farthest gate. Ohare is huge...

boettj
09-20-2008, 08:47 AM
I would definitely recommend taking a car seat. Not only that, I would recommend renting a car as apposed to using the bus system at Disney. The buses haul a** around the property, and all you are doing is holding your child in your lap. With a rental car, you can secure you child in their seat. To me, it's not worth the risk. Deals are abundant with the economy going sideways.

Just my 2 cents.

katied
09-20-2008, 10:26 AM
DS does his best on the plane with a car seat. We also have a CARES harness, and for shorter flights (less than 2 hrs), where I don't need a car seat on the other end, we have used that, but at his age (17 months), he is more comfortable in the car seat and cannot sleep with the CARES harness.

I've gotten pretty quick at installing it (esp. since I normally fly on my own with DS)- it's getting it uninstalled that is always the issue for me... so I just wait and am the last person off the plane.

Zoesmama03
09-20-2008, 02:31 PM
I took one when dd was 2. I flew alone just her and me so its doable for a family going together. I attached the carseat to my rolling carry-on with the strap on the luggage to get to our gate. I even looped my backpack diaper bag through it. I had dd in a sling :thumbsup2 but thats because it was just me. If you got more than one person it will be all the better.

It can be a hassle to drag it on board but I flew southwest and the gate agent actually helped me install it. No problems with it at all. So what if you hold up the line. ;)

Avonlady1001
09-20-2008, 07:35 PM
I've gotten pretty quick at installing it (esp. since I normally fly on my own with DS)- it's getting it uninstalled that is always the issue for me... so I just wait and am the last person off the plane.

Uninstalling it is my problem too! My Boulevard got stuck going & coming our trip before last. The flight attendant had to take the plane cushions off to make room to unbuckle it. LOL BOTH WAYS. Our next flight (DD was 3) we used the CARES. I only bothered with it going...she could unbuckle it like a pro. I didn't bother with it coming home.

Unless I rent a car next time, I won't be bringing the seat. But by the time we go, she'll be 4. I would definitely bring it for a 2yr old. Mine was too wiggly at that age to just be in the seat belt.

Mouse House Mama
09-21-2008, 12:28 PM
I guess I will be different here. I do not take carseats. We do not rent a car and use DME. The kids are fine on the plane. We entertain them and they sit.

all4fun
09-21-2008, 12:42 PM
Uninstalling it is my problem too! My Boulevard got stuck going & coming our trip before last. The flight attendant had to take the plane cushions off to make room to unbuckle it. LOL BOTH WAYS. Our next flight (DD was 3) we used the CARES. I only bothered with it going...she could unbuckle it like a pro. I didn't bother with it coming home.

Unless I rent a car next time, I won't be bringing the seat. But by the time we go, she'll be 4. I would definitely bring it for a 2yr old. Mine was too wiggly at that age to just be in the seat belt.

There are two easy fixes for this problem. One is to just flip the female end of the airplane seat belt buckle (the latchplate piece) over so the latchplate is facing away from the hard plastic shell. The other recommendation I've read is to ask for a lap belt extender from an FA when boarding. This puts the buckle out of the belt path, where it's easily reached. I also found that reclining the airplane seat when installing and uninstalling helps as well.

hth!

Avonlady1001
09-21-2008, 01:22 PM
There are two easy fixes for this problem. One is to just flip the female end of the airplane seat belt buckle (the latchplate piece) over so the latchplate is facing away from the hard plastic shell. The other recommendation I've read is to ask for a lap belt extender from an FA when boarding. This puts the buckle out of the belt path, where it's easily reached. I also found that reclining the airplane seat when installing and uninstalling helps as well.

hth!

The lap belt extender is a great idea!! So then you'd be able to reach it without sticking your hand in there? I did have the buckle facing the right way...someone else had mentioned that way back when. And I do recline the seat when installing & uninstalling. I don't know what my problem is! I know the FA had a tough time too. LOL I never had a problem when I took my Evenflo....just the Britax, which I LOVE LOVE LOVE otherwise! Just not on a plane. :-)

Thanks for the advice, though! :goodvibes :goodvibes

boettj
09-21-2008, 07:30 PM
When my family and I go to Disney, we fly SWA. We can't beat the prices from Providence, and they are by far the most pleasant airline. The flight attendants are more than willing on SWA to assist you with putting the seat in or taking it out. They are there to assist you. Don't be afraid to ask them. Now if you are flying on another airling, like United or USAir, well I can't speak to them. Only because my expierence with them has only been business related. Not attempting to bash them. Maybe someone else out there can share their expierence with other airlines.

All that matters to us that our final destination is Disney. Nothing is getting in the way or ruining the final destination. Whatever happens getting there just fades away once we are there.

imthatgirl
09-21-2008, 08:09 PM

hth!

:lmao: the female end:lmao:

thepeach80
09-21-2008, 10:31 PM
The buses haul a** around the property, and all you are doing is holding your child in your lap. With a rental car, you can secure you child in their seat.

Statistically though, buses are the safest form of transportation on the road. It's much riskier to use a car, even w/ a carseat.

imthatgirl
09-21-2008, 10:44 PM
Statistically though, buses are the safest form of transportation on the road. It's much riskier to use a car, even w/ a carseat.

its safer to put your child in your lap on a bus where you sit facing each other with no seat infront of your child..then to have them in a carseat in a car witn airbags? seriously? how could that possibly be?

abdmom
09-22-2008, 10:15 AM
its safer to put your child in your lap on a bus where you sit facing each other with no seat infront of your child..then to have them in a carseat in a car witn airbags? seriously? how could that possibly be?

A bus is much larger and has a heavier mass. If a bus is in an accident with a car, at equivalent speeds, the deceleration forces would be less in the bus than the car because of the higher mass. So, the damage to the bus and anyone in it would be much less.

I don't take a carseat on the plane after each child reaches about 18 months. Mine loved to play with the tray table and kick the seat in front. Before that time, I bought a car seat just for traveling. It's smaller and lighter weight than the behemoth I have in the car. Much easier to take down the aisle of the plane and install. Now, I check the car seat with the luggage.

thepeach80
09-22-2008, 10:26 AM

The pp explained it fairly well. The chances that a bus will get into a crash vs a car as much slimmer. Buses are larger and more easily seen. Also, unless they hit another bus or topple off a cliff, the chances that another vehicle will hurt the bus aren't so great. In a car however, you're much more likely to get hit and there are MANY vehicles on the roads of all different sizes so you could be driving a sedan and get hit headon by a SUV and you'd feel it. Does that make sense?

princess&her4princes
09-22-2008, 01:18 PM
We are going to Disney in Dec and my daughter will be two on Monday. She is still obviously in a car seat here at home.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether to take a carseat on the plane still or just use the lapbelt? I hate carrying that carseat around as it is really heavy, but I will always err on the side of caution and I am worried about NOT bringing it.

When we went last yr, they would not let us board ahead of time to secure the seat and we held up the line to get on the plane becasue we were in the front of the plane. This yr going to Orlando we are in Row 4 so again we will have the same issue. It is soo stressful when you are trying to secure something to keep your child safe, and then people are agitated behind you trying to knock you over to get passed.
I know that if I bring the carseat, then she will sleep on the plane and I wont have to worry about her getting out of her seat. Maybe I just answered my own question.

Does anyone have any experience with a 2 yr old on a plane? What did you do? Any suggestions would be great!!
Thanks!!!

Skip it..no need to bring more than you need!! :goodvibes

imthatgirl
09-22-2008, 01:22 PM
The pp explained it fairly well. The chances that a bus will get into a crash vs a car as much slimmer. Buses are larger and more easily seen. Also, unless they hit another bus or topple off a cliff, the chances that another vehicle will hurt the bus aren't so great. In a car however, you're much more likely to get hit and there are MANY vehicles on the roads of all different sizes so you could be driving a sedan and get hit headon by a SUV and you'd feel it. Does that make sense?

no, it doesnt. even a small jolt could send someone , who wasnt ready for it, flying. especially if that someone was a child.

thepeach80
09-22-2008, 01:48 PM
no, it doesnt. even a small jolt could send someone , who wasnt ready for it, flying. especially if that someone was a child.

Yes, but the CHANCES of that happening are not as great on a bus. It's been explained, it's fact, there's nothing I can do to change your mind and that's fine. Statistically though, more people/children are hurt in cars than on buses.

imthatgirl
09-22-2008, 01:53 PM
Yes, but the CHANCES of that happening are not as great on a bus. It's been explained, it's fact, there's nothing I can do to change your mind and that's fine. Statistically though, more people/children are hurt in cars than on buses.

i dont think i want you to change my mind. btu i dont think the chances of a bus stopping short are slim.
i completely believe you that more people are hurt in cars than on buses. there are far more cars on the road than buses.