PDA

View Full Version : Teacher Christmas gift ideas

Mickeyherewecome123
09-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Hey,
Just looking for some suggestions from everyone and even teachers on the board.
What is a good gift idea for a preschool teacher?
Thanks
Fran

G's mommy
09-06-2008, 07:44 PM
I always give gift cards for teachers. My friends that are teachers say they have every knick knack imaginable and really like homemade goodies and gift cards.

DVCBELLE
09-06-2008, 08:04 PM
I posted this in another thread but it is probably better here:

I order off of vistaprint.com - they run specials ALL the time for free magnets, free notecards, free calenders etc. I make for each of my kids at Christmas the 100 free postcards (you do have to pay about $5 shipping) - you can also make a free post it note pad and other items in the same order so I make the little note pads for their assistants. Anyway on the front of the postcards I put " A note from Mrs. XXXXX" with some sort of school theme - their teachers LOVE them and then they have personal notecards to send hoem during the year. I usually then put those in a basket/purse from the $1 store with a Bath & body works antibacterial handsoap that I get when they are on sale for under $2 each & for under $10 I have a great personal gift.

If you go on vistaprint and the stuff isn't free - pm me and I can send you a link that has the sale stuff. I get emails all the time cause I order so much - and they encourage you to share the links.

aprilgail2
09-06-2008, 08:14 PM
I always give a gift card. Last year I knew the teacher liked Panera Bread (I saw her there a few times) so I gave her a gift card to panera. I stay away from anything that says "teacher", candles, knick knacks or homemade foods (most of my friends that are teachers say they won't eat anything that is homemade).

mmouse1239
09-06-2008, 08:25 PM
I have been a teacher for 23 years. I have received many gifts...some really nice, some not so nice. While I don't encourage my students to give gifts (it always makes the ones who don't have gifts feel left out) I generally receive some. I most appreciate gift cards, homemade goodies, etc. I can't tell you how many knick knacky things I've given to the Goodwill box.

kadesha
09-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Hi! I'm a preschool teacher and I think any gift from students is nice. However, I enjoy getting gift cards. I get better use out of them than anything. Wal-Mart, Starbucks, Discount School Supply, Pizza Hut, etc. I also like home made goodies every now and then!

I have enough candles to fill a whole shelf! lol!

britfish
09-06-2008, 08:53 PM
what amount are gift cards for preschool teachers usually? I'm sure it depends on your budget, but this is our first year in school so I am looking for a ballpark.

kkheburn
09-06-2008, 08:55 PM
Im a preschool teacher also and my families know Im Disney crazy! I got a Disney giftcard and a few homemade Disney items(Calendar,notecards,cute frame with a class picture). Please no coffee mugs and candles. We have enough. Im happy with a special card a child has made me. I keep them all. During the holidays I display them in my class.

remfam5
09-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Another vote for giftcards!! We love all the pre-paid amounts and all the choices that you can get at grocery stores like Safeway, etc... And they have SO many different choices.

Mrs.Reese
09-06-2008, 09:19 PM
The best gifts I have ever gotten have been "thank you" from the kids in a unique way :) Please no knick knacks. Not to be rude but I throw away homemade goodies.

kadesha
09-06-2008, 09:21 PM
what amount are gift cards for preschool teachers usually? I'm sure it depends on your budget, but this is our first year in school so I am looking for a ballpark.

It really doesn't matter, we are appreciative of anything. I've received $10, $20 and $25. If you know any of the other parents in the class you could go in together and get a gift card for a larger amount.

luvmy3
09-06-2008, 09:32 PM
I always get the female teachers lotions from B&BW. This is the first year on eof my kids has a male teacher so I'll probably get him a GC to dunkin donuts or starbucks.

Malibelle
09-06-2008, 09:34 PM
I love gifting gift baskets. A popular thing that is different is to give a mix or dip mix with a serving dish or bowl with a spreader in a gift basket or bag. Everybody loves food. I am now a consultant for Two Sisters Gourmet so this Christmas evreyone is getting them with Two Sisters Gourmet products. You can really keep it under $10 and its such a great presentation. Before I even started being a consultant I always gave gifts like this and people loved them. The great thing is you can go simple to making a big basket for someone special. I always put the food product and something little like a serving tray, dish or bowl with the theme of the holiday.

Kate and Pete
09-06-2008, 09:37 PM
I teach high school - and, honestly, my absolute favorite gifts are letters/cards that they write to me themselves. I keep every single one and read them as part of my "going back to school" rituals! What about a painting that your child does at home - maybe you could ask him to paint a picture of his teacher, or of himself, and then frame it with a nice little note from you.

staciepm
09-06-2008, 09:38 PM
I like to give the Breast Cancer Awareness Lean Cuisine Lunch bags to the teachers. They are $10 shipped and $5 goes to Breast Cancer research.

http://www.leancuisine.com/Komen2008/Index.aspx

Stacie

DVCBELLE
09-06-2008, 09:44 PM
I like to give the Breast Cancer Awareness Lean Cuisine Lunch bags to the teachers. They are $10 shipped and $5 goes to Breast Cancer research.

Stacie
Those are ADORABLE! I love them!

Coll0610
09-06-2008, 09:58 PM
I've done a movie night gift basket a few times - microwave popcorn, movie style candy boxes from the dollar store and a GC to Blockbuster. Otherwise I do gift cards. Sometimes DS has an idea (like Best Buy for the teacher who loved CDs). If not, I'll do the mall or Target.

Mickeyherewecome123
09-06-2008, 10:04 PM
You guys have really given me some really great ideas.

I was thinking of making my boys teachers these beaded bracelets that I make with a giftcard. Now I have to decide which store to get the gift card for, I will know better as the school year goes on and I get to know the teachers better.

Thanks for all the great ideas. Keep them coming!!!!

daisyduck123
09-06-2008, 10:30 PM
Please no knick knacks. Not to be rude but I throw away homemade goodies.

ITA!

Any homemade goodies my teammates & I get usually end up in the Teachers Lounge.

My favorite gifts are giftcards...no matter how small. I'd rather have a $5.00 giftcard than a $20.00 candle. After 18 years of teaching, I don't need anymore ornaments, notepads, picture frames, etc.

Julia M
09-07-2008, 12:35 AM

Stacie

OMG, those are great. I'm going to order some for the ladies of our family for Xmas. (My mom is a breast cancer survivor, too)

Julia

sk!mom
09-07-2008, 12:41 AM
Gift card if you want to buy something or a nice card if you don't. Anything else will just add to the clutter.

ScottOKW2K
09-07-2008, 12:43 AM
Another vote for the giftcards. I like to do restaurant g/c - preferably to a nice place. We've given Outback several times - I think that the teacher would enjoy a nice meal out every so often.

momof5boys
09-07-2008, 03:40 AM
I donate money to the Make a Wish foundation in the teacher's name. They have beautiful certificates you can print off the computer and put in a christmas card.

licountrygirl
09-07-2008, 08:21 AM
As a school bus driver, there is not a lot of space to put these precious gifts while we are driving..envelopes are so much smaller, whether they contain a heartfelt card from the student, or a small token of their appreciation.

I give a vote for the gift cards/cash rather than body lotions, candles, and knick knacks. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate every gift a child gives and absolutely do not expect any at all - but it's inevitable that there will be gift giving, as it is done every year.

My favorites are cards to Walmart, a local restaurant, a local grocery store, Dunkin Donuts, etc. Too bad the American Express ones charge such a high fee to buy - those would be great because they can be used anywhere!

I gave cash to my kid's bus drivers last year and a beautiful plant to the teachers. In past years, I have also given movie tickets - those are great to receive, too and Costco has them by me for $14 for a pair - and they can be used at night, not just at Matinees.

Teacher03
09-07-2008, 08:30 AM
I truly appreciate any gift I receive, but I'm with the majority and would go with a gift card. One year the class went in together and got me very generous gift card to a spa. It was wonderful.

DisneyMOM09
09-07-2008, 08:32 AM

Stacie

These are soo cute! My step mom is a breast cancer survivor, she would love one of these! My sisters and daughter's will be getting one to!!!

ncbyrne
09-07-2008, 08:48 AM
My DD has an elementary teacher for 18 years in a private school. One of the gifts she got in her first year of teaching Kindergarten was a package of 3 silk bikini underpants from Bloomingdales that had "Bloomies" written across the seat - from a 5 yr. old BOY! LOL
And unlike most of the posts on this thread, she happens to love getting teacher specific Christmas tree ornaments. She got so many of them the first few years, that she now puts up another small tree just for these ornaments.
But, my DDs favorite gift from her students are Barnes & Noble gift cards. She appreciates them in ANY amount and has received $5 - $50.
She also loves it when the gift is accompanied by a note handwritten by the student (rather than Mom). She keeps a scrapbook of each class and has them filed by year. She says that you just never know if one of her students will be famous someday - and she'll already have their "autograph"...LOL
And I personally, LOVED the idea of the personalized post-it notes from Vistaprint.com.

EthansMom
09-07-2008, 09:42 AM
I usually do GCs to the local bookstore for DS's grade school teachers. For the bus driver last year, I gave a $15 GC to Subway (which is near the bus parking lot). For a preschool teacher, I would give a $10 or $15 GC to a nearby store/casual restaurant.

aprilgail2
09-07-2008, 09:45 AM
I donate money to the Make a Wish foundation in the teacher's name. They have beautiful certificates you can print off the computer and put in a christmas card.

I wouldn't do this one becuase I hate when people do it to me. I have a charity that I contribute to and work for and another that I just contribute to but don't work for-if you are going to make a donation in my name at least make it to a charity of MY choice rather than one of the givers choice.

hapandpam
09-07-2008, 10:19 AM
I agree with the gift card idea. Any amount is appreciated. Another thing you could consider is your child's favorite book or game for the classroom. In most cases, he/she will know what the other kids would enjoy. As a teacher who buys this stuff for my classroom, it is really appreciated when I get one of these gifts.

I also think the gift to a charity is a great idea, especially if you are aware of one the teacher is involved in. I can't imagine any teacher not appreciating a donation to the "Make a Wish" foundation, or some organization dedicated to helping kids.

dianaphi
09-07-2008, 10:27 AM
These are soo cute! My step mom is a breast cancer survivor, she would love one of these! My sisters and daughter's will be getting one to!!!

Anyone know how big these bags are inside or have a picture of the inside of one? I too am a BC survivor (8 and a half years -- woo hoo!!) and would love to give these to the women in my life (DM, DSiL, aunts and cousins, etc.) for Christmas or Mother's Day, but I want to make sure they hold enough. Some lunch bags are downright teeny inside, barely able to fit a drink and sandwich, much less a container for salad or piece of fruit!

Thanks!

Aliceacc
09-07-2008, 11:23 AM
I posted this in another thread but it is probably better here:

I order off of vistaprint.com - they run specials ALL the time for free magnets, free notecards, free calenders etc. I make for each of my kids at Christmas the 100 free postcards (you do have to pay about $5 shipping) - you can also make a free post it note pad and other items in the same order so I make the little note pads for their assistants. Anyway on the front of the postcards I put " A note from Mrs. XXXXX" with some sort of school theme - their teachers LOVE them and then they have personal notecards to send hoem during the year. I usually then put those in a basket/purse from the $1 store with a Bath & body works antibacterial handsoap that I get when they are on sale for under $2 each & for under $10 I have a great personal gift.

If you go on vistaprint and the stuff isn't free - pm me and I can send you a link that has the sale stuff. I get emails all the time cause I order so much - and they encourage you to share the links.

That's what I did for the end-of-the-year gifts for my kids' teachers (including some free magnets from the teacher wishing the kids a good summer)-- they were a huge hit!!!

Here's this year's Christmas gifts; I'm going to order them today (as soon as I check on the spelling of the names)
http://www.lillianvernon.com/catalog/product_display.jsp?searchParam=LV&pdId=844&addOn=885&sid=eas

I gave them last year and the teachers loved them!! And, since we have all different teachers this year, I can re-use the idea :)

Another popular standby for me is a fleece throw. (Who doesn't love a cozy blanket on a cold night?) I can always find one in the $10 range at either Target or Kohls during the fall.

AutumnKlassic
09-07-2008, 11:26 AM
I know a few people don't like the body lotion, but all through my school years I gave the hand lotion from Avon. They were not very smelly and work very well. I had some teachers look forward to them every year. And each time I was sitting in class and saw them use them I got a very special feeling.

Momto4boys
09-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Those lunch bags are AWESOME! I am sooo hoping I can order them from Canada! Thanks for the link!!

marcyinPA
09-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Preschool teacher here:wave2: I LOVE receiving gift cards! I don't normally treat myself to lunch at Panera, or a brand new book from Barnes and Noble, or a Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks coffee, so when my students give me a gift card, it's so exciting for me!!

Of course, I'm appreciative of everything I receive, but I can tell you that I DO NOT need any more candles!! I have so many of them already, I'll never be able to burn them all! (oh, and same goes for "teacher" stuff and coffee mugs! LOL)

Mickeyherewecome123
09-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Question To the preschool teachers. Do most of your students give Christmas gifts?? Just wondering.

Thanks
Fran

marcyinPA
09-07-2008, 07:45 PM

I teach two year olds...I've received anything from a $10 gift card to $25 gift cards. I also have a co-teacher in my room, so these parents buy for both of us! I think it all depends on your budget....but I always think that $25 is too much and I feel a little guilty!:guilty:

marcyinPA
09-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Question To the preschool teachers. Do most of your students give Christmas gifts?? Just wondering.

Thanks
Fran

Last year, I taught 3 separate classes of 2 year olds. Each class has 12 children. In one of my classes, all 12 children gave my co-teacher and I something (from gift cards to knick knacks to cookies). In the other two classes, I'd say that half of my children gave us gifts. The parents in our school are normally very generous....they provide us breakfast at our monthly staff meetings, goodies during teacher appreciation week, and a lot of them give us gifts at the end of the year too. I love gift cards, but I appreciate a nice handwritten note telling me how much their child loved my class just as much. We always love to hear how great we are ;) (just kidding, but you know what I mean, I hope!)

mrs.beast
09-07-2008, 08:34 PM
I like the gift cards, homemade gifts (not food items) made by the kids-not the parents, notes from the kids, or notepaper/notecards. I know on our staff of 45, 99% of the lotion, candles, and coffee cups get donated away. We actually have a box in the lounge for these things. One person collects all of these things, and other treasures, at Christmas, Valentine's Day and at the end of the year and drives them to either a nursing home or Goodwill. Lotion and scented candles are really a personal preference and in 14 years I have never gotten a scent I enjoyed of lotion, and only one candle that I kept (however that family kind of cheated. Their older daughter babysat for me and wrote down the fragrance from the bottom of the jar :) ) The thought is nice, but I am not going to keep something I will not use. Better to donate it to someone else who will enjoy it.

staciepm
09-07-2008, 08:43 PM
Anyone know how big these bags are inside or have a picture of the inside of one? I too am a BC survivor (8 and a half years -- woo hoo!!) and would love to give these to the women in my life (DM, DSiL, aunts and cousins, etc.) for Christmas or Mother's Day, but I want to make sure they hold enough. Some lunch bags are downright teeny inside, barely able to fit a drink and sandwich, much less a container for salad or piece of fruit!

Thanks!

The bags look like last years, which have silver "insulater" lining. The bag can hold a normal size frozen meal on the bottom or an 8 cup Glad container can fit in the bag. Basically, the bag holds a true adult size lunch complete with salad, drink and snack.

Stacie

aprilgail2
09-07-2008, 09:02 PM
I like the gift cards, homemade gifts (not food items) made by the kids-not the parents, notes from the kids, or notepaper/notecards. I know on our staff of 45, 99% of the lotion, candles, and coffee cups get donated away. We actually have a box in the lounge for these things. One person collects all of these things, and other treasures, at Christmas, Valentine's Day and at the end of the year and drives them to either a nursing home or Goodwill. Lotion and scented candles are really a personal preference and in 14 years I have never gotten a scent I enjoyed of lotion, and only one candle that I kept (however that family kind of cheated. Their older daughter babysat for me and wrote down the fragrance from the bottom of the jar :) ) The thought is nice, but I am not going to keep something I will not use. Better to donate it to someone else who will enjoy it.

We get all things like that donated for our chinese auction at the school. We put out a plea for any unwanted items people may have gotten for Christmas in Nov this way they know in advance we want things and then in Jan the candles and lotions people get for christmas start pouring in LOL.

mjantz
09-07-2008, 09:11 PM

Thanks
Fran

Most do. As others have said I'm happy with just about any gift that is given to me. I vividly remember a mom giving me a $5 giftcard to Blockbuster & apologizing because she didn't feel it was enough. I told her I loved it because I could buy a used movie for next to nothing. A giftcard that says that you know something about me (I love books, my favorite restaurant) is better IMO than another coffee mug. I personally have limited cabinet space & if I saved every coffee mug I received as a gift I'd have nothing in my cabinets but mugs before too long. Another great gift I got was a beach towel.

Lotion or candles can be great but the scents are sometimes not my favorite. Some moms have given me the Bath & Body Works antibacterial creamy hand soap & that is a great gift because I'm washing my hands several times a day. I'm also on a somewhat restricted diet so homemade goodies can be either great or someting I cannot eat. Also, I appreciate the intent behind live plants but seeing that I kill plastic plants, its not a gift I'm going to enjoy.

DVCBELLE
09-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Bath and Body Works just released a waterless antibacterial soap - I bought those for the teachers and figured they could use them in the class! they smell a lot better than purell!!

The Hendies
09-10-2008, 04:52 PM
By Christmas, supplies like markers, crayons, crafts supplies and play doh has usually run low! I'd much rather get something nice for my room than something for myself. Several times I even put up a tree with "ornaments" on the tree with things like chalk, beads, deck of cards, matchbox cars, etc. Then the children and I wrapped the gifts for ourselves and had a great time at our Christmas party opening our 'gifts to ourselves'.

Julia M
09-10-2008, 05:48 PM
okay, can someone help me?

I am "lead teacher" for a special needs program. I have 4 teachers, 9 classroom aides, about 12 ABA aides, 2 speech therapists, 1 psychologist and 1 program specialist to remember at Xmas!!! :headache: :headache: Plus, I should also remember the 2 secretaries (who DO alot for me)

Last year I lucked out and found Mary Englebreit notepads, post-it notes, etc on clearance at Michaels for .25 each. I used cellophane bags with tissue and ribbon to bag up 3 or 4 items and gave them out.

I am STUMPED for this year. I guess I could make something, like cookies, but I am also overwhelmed at that idea, too. I figure I should plan for 35 people.

I'd like to find something I could order online, now, at $2-$3 a person, so I could get ahead and wrap (hopefully could fit in cellophane bags again-wrapping 35 gifts overwhelms me, too)

Any suggestions?????

Julia

Mickeyherewecome123
09-10-2008, 09:11 PM

I am "lead teacher" for a special needs program. I have 4 teachers, 9 classroom aides, about 12 ABA aides, 2 speech therapists, 1 psychologist and 1 program specialist to remember at Xmas!!! :headache: :headache: Plus, I should also remember the 2 secretaries (who DO alot for me)

Last year I lucked out and found Mary Englebreit notepads, post-it notes, etc on clearance at Michaels for .25 each. I used cellophane bags with tissue and ribbon to bag up 3 or 4 items and gave them out.

I am STUMPED for this year. I guess I could make something, like cookies, but I am also overwhelmed at that idea, too. I figure I should plan for 35 people.

I'd like to find something I could order online, now, at $2-$3 a person, so I could get ahead and wrap (hopefully could fit in cellophane bags again-wrapping 35 gifts overwhelms me, too)

Any suggestions?????

Julia

My suggestion would be to keep an eye out for the Bath and Body Works sales that they have. I have bought the small size lotions and body wash for under 5.00. And that would be easily wrapped in the cellophane bags.

Good luck ,that sure is a lot of people to buy for at work.

brockscandy
09-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Last year, my daughter's second grade teacher and her family were driving to WDW from Kansas over Christmas. We made the family a care package filled with all kinds of snacks that we renamed and put tags on them, such as Woody's Cowboy Cookies (Chocolate Chip), Tinkerbell's Pixie Dust (Pixie Sticks), etc. Her kids came in from their schools when she was opening the gift and they were so excited too. We had as much fun putting it together as they did eating it.

baloo's girl
09-10-2008, 09:42 PM
I like doing the gift card thing too. I try to "present" it in a way that's cute too. Last year, I put the gift card in the center of a kitchen whisk and filled it in with Hersey's kisses. I wrapped it up in clear cellophane and used some ribbons. On the tag, I wrote, We whisk you a Merry Kissmas". Another time we made cards, and inside I had a huge Symphony candy bar and gift card. In the card, we wrote "A (Symphony candy bar) of thanks.

And I was a teacher too, no knick knacks. And no apple stuff!

Ilovemyprincesses
09-10-2008, 09:56 PM

Thanks!

They hold a lot. My mom has one that I got her. You can put a lunch in there and a drink.

hkeller27
09-10-2008, 09:58 PM
I have had parents give a gift to the classroom instead of just to me, and I LOVED it. I have gotten games, puzzles, toys, books, etc. I love that it's something the kids can use, and I appreciate it just as much as a gift personally to me.

That said, I agree with everyone here - as a former K teacher, I've gotten so many picture frames, candles, and teacher knick knacks - and I must admit I've given almost all away to good will.

Gift cards are wonderful - and the amount doesn't matter in the least. I've gotten everything from $10 to $100 (so extreme, I was so flattered but how no idea how to properly thank the family for such generosity....or bribery.....j/k!).

But no matter the gift, I've always appreciated a handwritten note of thanks more than anything else.

SalandJeff
09-10-2008, 10:27 PM
I like to give the Breast Cancer Awareness Lean Cuisine Lunch bags to the teachers...

I love these bags...my mom and aunt are breast cancer survivors. Do the bags come with anything telling what they are about?

...I am "lead teacher" for a special needs program. I have 4 teachers, 9 classroom aides, about 12 ABA aides, 2 speech therapists, 1 psychologist and 1 program specialist to remember at Xmas!!! :headache: :headache: Plus, I should also remember the 2 secretaries (who DO alot for me)...

Does everyone else exchange also? Maybe you can initiate some type of gift swap so you are not buying for everyone? Just a thought.

Last year when dd was in preschool, we gave gift cards along with bracelets I had made. We did Barnes and Noble and Kohls and the teachers were all very appreciative.

crazelion
09-10-2008, 10:44 PM
Pre-K teacher. I hate scent lotion from Bath and Boby works. It subject to get regift to someone else. I can't stand the smell of lotion and cause a asthma attack.

Now I love gift cards and books

Julia M
09-10-2008, 11:31 PM
Does everyone else exchange also? Maybe you can initiate some type of gift swap so you are not buying for everyone? Just a thought.

Well, we will probably do an ornament exchange or white elephant gift exchange at our luncheon, but I still feel strongly I need to do something myself.

My suggestion would be to keep an eye out for the Bath and Body Works sales that they have. I have bought the small size lotions and body wash for under 5.00. And that would be easily wrapped in the cellophane bags.

That's a good idea, I will try and keep that in mind. My problem is that I'm NEVER at the mall, so I always miss these sales!

Julia

tig_536
09-11-2008, 01:25 AM
I too am a pre-k teacher. I also love gift cards, pedicure GCs are one of my favorites. (I could always use a little pampering). I have also accumulated a huge amount of bath products, candles, frames, and teacher gifts. I only have so much space. Teacher items just don't fit in my house anymore especially now that I have a baby. I need all the extra space I have for him. Most of the items I don't use end up going to church with my MIL.

Minnie's Pal
09-11-2008, 07:07 AM
I try to stay at $1 or under (since, between 3 kids and school plus church, there are over 30 teachers) but useful.

One year I did potpourri (forgive if I misspelled that) from Walmart. One year I bought kitchen towels on clearance in Jan. to give the next Christmas (came in sets of 3.) I thought about doing candles one year but never found a cheap candle with a good scent.

One year, one of the kids in a class I led at church gave me a cookie mix (like Pilsbury mix in a bag) with a wooden spoon tied around it in pretty Christmas ribbon. I thought that was a good one.

This year, for church teachers, I'm just going to make one donation to a charity in their honor and notify them all by cards. Or maybe adopt a child for Christmas in their honor. (We normally do this anyway so we could just do two.)

WendyisDarling
09-11-2008, 07:38 AM

Any suggestions?????

Julia

I'm in the same boat. A little different situation--I have a special needs child who has people who do so much for him and I appreciate so much. They are like family--a very larrge family. 2 Teachers, 5 aides, (I consider 4 of these 7 to be the inner circle), 2 school therapists, 3 private therapists, bus driver, bus aide, school nurse, resource specialist (works directly with him several times a week)...that is 16! We love the principal, all the resource teachers, cafeteria manager, etc. but had to draw the line. My older son is now in MS and doesn't want to give gifts (my sis is HS teacher and said it is viewed as kind of weird when boys do this), if HE doesn't want to, I don't care.

Anyway, 16 gifts. I usually do GC's for the teachers and aides. I know it isn't appreciated as much but I have given some candles to the others :rolleyes1 .

Someone asked about how much to spend. I wanted to add this info. I saw a school district administrator on a news program last year that said teachers are not supposed to accept gifts that are valued at more than $25 from an individual child as it may have the appearance of trying to buy favortism. I don't how true that is for all locations. He added that class gifts over that amount are fine. Just not from one student.

mamalle
09-11-2008, 07:48 AM
thanks for the ideas. Im definitely going to use the wisk idea for my kid's teachers. Thanks for the reminder about the lean cuisine bags also. we were just talking about them at work yesterday and wondering if they came out yet. I went and ordered 3 for this year.. ;)

preb
09-11-2008, 09:44 AM
I just wanted to say thanks for the tip on the Lean Cuisine lunchbags. I ordered 7 for co-worker holiday gifts!:thumbsup2

zachsmomie
09-11-2008, 10:20 AM

Any suggestions?????

Julia

One year for my husband's workmates I bought oversized plain colored mugs(big fat round ones and tall skinney ones...not the usual coffee mug shape)at the dollar store and then bulk hot cocoa, individual coffee and tea bags. We put a variety different drink mixes in each, wrapped them in clear wrap, tied with a bow and add a card saying "Don't forget to give yourself a gift this holiday season and take a moment to relax." Several people at work used the mugs for drinking, some for pencils/pens on their desks and he saw lots using the cocoa and coffee and tea.

ec1014
09-11-2008, 10:21 AM
We get the kids teachers $25 AMEX gift cards each year. Very flexiable and taken in almost all places

teedisney
09-11-2008, 10:34 AM
We get the kids teachers $25 AMEX gift cards each year. Very flexiable and taken in almost all places

I do the same. In November they'll offer them to AMEX card holders for no shipping. The fee was like $3. my son's teacher's last year went crazy for the fact they could use them anywhere!!

The Hendies
09-12-2008, 02:46 PM
http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6mmveqes2uweaz.png

MomOf2DisneyKids
09-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Do the bags come with anything telling what they are about?

I'd like to know the answer to this too!

staciepm
09-12-2008, 10:44 PM
I'd like to know the answer to this too!

Last years bag had a removable key chain thing that says "Susan G Komen race for the cure" on one side and " LeanCuisine Do something good for the cure" on the other side.

Stacie

tzolkin
09-13-2008, 08:20 AM
Every year we make hard candy around Christmas. DD has always brought that in for her teachers/busdriver in a cute container with a card. If she thinks of something her teacher would like, we buy that as a gift. For example, one year she had a young teacher that loved monkeys and had monkey things all over the classroom. We were out shopping and saw some really cute monkey socks. Her teacher loved them and wore them throughout the year.

Several people have mentioned donating to a charity... For donations we have used MarkMakers and Kiva a few times. I like these because they can be personalized by the recipient instead of me choosing what the money will go toward. MarkMakers is more geared toward kids and has a really cute website. The recipient can go through the website and choose from a bunch of charities. We did this last year for DD's teacher and she went online with her own DD. She enjoyed it and told me that she used the website for gifts she gave to other people. Kiva is a website where you make loans to small business owners around the world. You can look through the profiles and decide who you want to loan the money to. The money is paid back into your account and then you can choose to loan it to someone else or withdraw it. We havent used that one for teachers, but have given a few gift certificates to friends/family.