PDA

View Full Version : car insurance- Geico?

hapandpam
09-06-2008, 05:49 PM
We just got our car insurance bill and it is over $4,000, so I called Geico for a quote. It was about $2,000 less. I had them email me the coverage, and it is line for line the same as my current carrier. Anyone have any experience, positive or negative, with the company. I am really tempted to switch.

Thanks.

Mrs.Reese
09-06-2008, 06:17 PM
I've had GEICO for two years now. Two weeks ago some hooligans thought it would be fun to pour oil all over my car. No problems, quick and friendly claim. I even got a rental for the day.

brenalexacamp
09-06-2008, 06:20 PM
we've had it for years-love it
they are less
we had a gas grill hit us one thanksgiving fell off the truck in front of us- cracked our windshield- called them while we were in the car- the rep said- any other damage-i didn't know-we were still in the car- she told me to call when it was safe-
we did- we are not covered for glass in NH.

they are reachable by phone anytime-my dh pays the bill over the phone every month-easy prompts-
we made a good choice-we insure 3 cars-2 adults- one 18 yr old and a recreational vehicle for just about 4000.00
keep in mind the 18 yr old male driver- he's the one that shot the premium up.

CJ's Mommy
09-06-2008, 07:07 PM
I've had them for years, with no problems at all. You can pay your bill online, very easy. They have great customer service when you call with a question or problem. But honestly, for $2,000 less I would switch even if they had a monkey working customer service!! :rotfl:

dismom24
09-06-2008, 07:26 PM
We have been with them for 18+ years. My DS had a car accident a few months ago (his fault) - thank God no one was hurt. Geico was wonderful. The damage to the other car was minor, but we were all very pleased with the service from Geico.

Jeanne B
09-06-2008, 07:34 PM
I just recently switched to them due to their rate being lower than Progressive who DH and I had been with for several years but no claims yet so I don't have any experience with them as far as that goes.

It's always good to "insurance shop" every few years, it can save you a lot of money!!

clh2
09-06-2008, 07:47 PM
When I married DH, 18 years ago - he was a GEICO kind of guy - we are still with GEICO for car insurance. I do not recall how many years DH was with Geico when we got married. We've had 1 accident, 1 hail damage incident and 1 windshield replacement.

No issues at all!

LMC
09-06-2008, 08:42 PM
I would just be careful about the coverage limitations if you are at fault in an accident. My DH was in an accident when the other driver (Geico customer) pulled out in front of him. My DH had a new huge pick up truck so the repairs were VERY expensive. The other drivers insurance (Geico) had a payout limit of $10,000 so our insurance (not geico) had to pay it then they went after him and his insurance company since he was at fault. Not sure what all that entailed since that is what we pay our insurance company for but I would hate to be out loads of money after an accident if my policy had payout limits. I didn't even know that was legal but I guess the percentage of accidents happening where the repair bills exceed $10K are low.

Tjaleks
09-06-2008, 09:03 PM
I would just be careful about the coverage limitations if you are at fault in an accident. My DH was in an accident when the other driver (Geico customer) pulled out in front of him. My DH had a new huge pick up truck so the repairs were VERY expensive. The other drivers insurance (Geico) had a payout limit of $10,000 so our insurance (not geico) had to pay it then they went after him and his insurance company since he was at fault. Not sure what all that entailed since that is what we pay our insurance company for but I would hate to be out loads of money after an accident if my policy had payout limits. I didn't even know that was legal but I guess the percentage of accidents happening where the repair bills exceed $10K are low.

Each state sets a bare minimum coverage person has to buy and that differs from state to state. Any additional coverage a person buys is purely elected by that person and his/her premiums reflect those choices. You are lucky, you had underinsured motorist on your policy that would cover the difference if someone had low limits; not everyone does. This is a perfect reason to do so.

Rebelmom67
09-06-2008, 09:12 PM
I have had GEICO for 12 years. We love them. They pay out quickly and with no hassle.

dis-happy
09-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Great company, owned by Berkshire Hathaway, Warren Buffet. No worries whether or not they will stay in business long term or be unable to pay your claim!!!

luvmy3
09-06-2008, 09:34 PM
We have had Geico for years. I only had to file a claim once for a starburst in my windshield, it was very easy.

Cheshire Figment
09-06-2008, 10:04 PM
I have had GEICO for about 30 years. I have had some claims over the years, some my fault, some not mine. They have never raised my rates (other than general rate increases) and always given excellent service.

They started out only insuring Government Employees and are still very picky about the people they insure.

chrysdrew
09-06-2008, 10:22 PM
I actually am an insurance broker but my personal insurance is with Geico. Couldn't beat their price, even at my own office. I have been with them for many years and I have had no problems.

IDoDis
09-06-2008, 10:54 PM
I've been with Geico for over 20 years and have never had a problem. I've had a few claims over the years and they always paid immediately.

DisneygirlTeacher
09-06-2008, 11:17 PM
We've had Geico for close to 30 years. They have always had wonderful customer service and we've never had any problems with them!

disneymomto5
09-07-2008, 07:38 AM
I've had them for 18+ years and am very satisfied. Their customer service is great and you can do alot of things online if you don't want to deal on the phone.

MommaluvsDis
09-07-2008, 10:03 AM
You should know, however, that Geico makes auto repairs using "used" parts regardless of vehicle age. State Farm is what I have and they use new or aftermarket parts.

I know this first hand from having 2 teenaged sons.

If you don't care that your 6 month old car may have a 2 year old used bumper, then go for it.

wdwfan26
09-07-2008, 10:06 AM
We originally had Allstate then switched to GEICO b/c it would save us about $$800 a year. We even filed a claim in that one year with absolutely no problems. We loved them. Then we got the next years renewal and it jumped up $1000. They told us that they were losing money in NJ and had to increase rates. We switched back to Allstate b/c the were then cheaper.

GinCar
09-07-2008, 10:15 AM
If I would have read this question a couple of weeks ago I would have said that they have prompt service and low rates... well.. DH, who has had a PERFECT driving record had to make 2 claims- 1, he backed into a dumpster
2, he dinged a car that pulled behind him and parked the car :confused3
(his truck was full of stuff to take to the dumpster). It caused minimal damage to the other vehicle and none to his.
Anyway he was DROPPED all of a sudden. These "accidents" happened 2 years
apart.
We have always paid promptly and have sung GEICO's praises- not anymore.
This seems unreasonable since both claims were 2 years apart and DH doesn't even have a ticket on his record.

Just my 2 cents. Insurance can be very frustrating and we are in the process of finding another company.:goodvibes

overlyspoiled4sure
09-07-2008, 05:11 PM
We will NEVER EVER use them for our insurance needs.

One of their insureds hit DH's car one winter. They were driving too fast for conditions--snow, ice, etc. Hit our vehicle so hard it spun around. Damage was rather extensive & it took about a month to complete as parts had to be ordered. So, we needed a rental car during that time. All fine & good. However, Geico refused to pay for the total rental bill; charged us mileage. That was a surprise since the rental company DID NOT charge us mileage. Our agent talked with them to see if he could fix the situation but no go.

I guess there's good & bad no matter who your insurance is with, be it vehicle or homeowner or personal property coverage.

Rebelmom67
09-07-2008, 05:46 PM
You should know, however, that Geico makes auto repairs using "used" parts regardless of vehicle age. State Farm is what I have and they use new or aftermarket parts.

I know this first hand from having 2 teenaged sons.

If you don't care that your 6 month old car may have a 2 year old used bumper, then go for it.

In my experience that is not true at all. GEICO let us choose what body shop we wanted to use and I know for a fact that our vehicle was repaired with brand new GM parts.

Taja
09-07-2008, 06:59 PM
I was with GEICO for about 12 years. Overall, a positive experience.

I did have one bad experience with a very snarky claims manager during my last accident (other driver at fault) who wanted the claim closed immediately. I wouldn't agree until I researched all of the possibilities and had an independent appraiser look at my vehicle. In the end, GEICO paid me about $1500 more than the claims manager wanted. Not sure what the story was--unless GEICO insured both of us. I don't remember at this point--it was several years ago.

The only reason I switched was the discount for insuring my home and vehicle with another company. It was over $500 less the first year than separate policies. This year the difference is only about $250, but still worthwhile.

I definitely would consider GEICO vehicle insurance again.

MommaluvsDis
09-07-2008, 07:21 PM
In my experience that is not true at all. GEICO let us choose what body shop we wanted to use and I know for a fact that our vehicle was repaired with brand new GM parts.

Yes, it's true, unfortunately. My Tahoe has a used drivers' side door. We even called our insurance company (Geico was the company of the man that hit us) and they said that there was nothing we could do about.

So, we had to sign off on it or pay for the repairs ourselves. When we took it to the bodyshop and the body guy saw it was a Geico claim, he showed us a car he was working on that was 6 months old. Geico had sent him a used bumper as the replacement part.

I'm glad you got new parts but I'm not the only one that this has happened to. do a search on this board for Geico and you'll find others that were in the same boat I was.

emh1129
09-07-2008, 10:03 PM
We've had Geico for 4 years now and we love them. I love how fast and easy it is to pay over the phone.
Claims are taken care of really quickly and I really like their customer service. I've never had an accident claim, though. The only claim I have ever filed was to get my windshield replaced, but we had additional glass coverage, so it was a breeze.

LMC
09-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Am I lucky that my insurance company provides this (as in for every one they insure) or is it another coverage that I pay for in order to cover losses when we encounter underinsured drivers? If it's a coverage I pay for so someone else can pay less on their policies then I don't feel we are lucky; I feel we are getting a service that we pay good money for.

Each state sets a bare minimum coverage person has to buy and that differs from state to state. Any additional coverage a person buys is purely elected by that person and his/her premiums reflect those choices. You are lucky, you had underinsured motorist on your policy that would cover the difference if someone had low limits; not everyone does. This is a perfect reason to do so.

mommy2allyandaveri
09-07-2008, 10:57 PM
OMG, they can save me $600/year. That is freakin huge!!! I just paid my 6 mo premium but I think I am going to call and have them cancel and send me the majority of my pmt back! I'm so excited.