PDA

View Full Version : NEW GREAT SWAP/SMILEY DEBATE(former "Pop Will .... Fridges For Swap?" thread)

lisadr
09-06-2008, 12:54 PM
I was reading on one of the fridge swaps that the manager at Pop had told them they were going to stop holding items at luggage services. Their fridge was lost and they were trying to find it and that is when they were informed about this.

I also read that they are no longer issuing receipts for the items checked in through luggage services.

Have any other swap leaders heard anything about these two new policies? If so could you share what info you heard. Also besides a face to face swap-how are you going to handle these new policies??

Thanks Swappers!!

Here's the thread:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1788952&page=13

Lisa

kadesha
09-06-2008, 01:24 PM
OMG! I hope this is not true!!! I am signed up for a fridge AND a stoller swap! I am really depending on the stroller!

Jakesmom1
09-06-2008, 01:38 PM
As if its not tough enough to keep these swaps going, please say it isnt so !

I havent heard anything about this yet,

BostonRob
09-06-2008, 01:42 PM
I was reading on one of the fridge swaps that the manager at Pop had told them they were going to stop holding items at luggage services. Their fridge was lost and they were trying to find it and that is when they were informed about this.

I also read that they are no longer issuing receipts for the items checked in through luggage services.

Have any other swap leaders heard anything about these two new policies? If so could you share what info you heard. Also besides a face to face swap-how are you going to handle these new policies??

Thanks Leaders!!

Lisa

I'm amazed that they ever did. Considering that they'll rent you a fridge to make more money, why would they waste their resources to to assist people in avoiding an upcharge?

victorandbellasmom
09-06-2008, 01:53 PM
We checked in at Pop Aug 25th and checked out Sep 1 and had no issues with picking up our fridge swap and dropping it off. In fact, the staff was very helpful. OP, can you link the thread discussing the no holds.

msmayor
09-06-2008, 02:07 PM
As if its not tough enough to keep these swaps going, please say it isnt so !

I havent heard anything about this yet,

I honestly don't think Disney cares how 'tough' it is...nor should they. Folks are using them as a free storage site, and that's just not right.

Luggage storage is something that should be considered 'short' term, for personal items when you're room isn't ready or when you're checking out well before you need to leave for the airport. It shouldn't be a permanent holding area with the same items moving in and out on a regular basis.

If Disney was smart, they'd actually start charging for storage beyond the 24-hour mark. Give folks a time-stamped receipt for their luggage if it needs to be held in storage until their room is ready or they leave for the airport. Anything left longer than 24 hours? Charge 'em $10 per day to get it out of "storage". Then maybe luggage services will finally go back to its intended purpose.

I'm amazed that they ever did. Considering that they'll rent you a fridge to make more money, why would they waste their resources to to assist people in avoiding an upcharge?

Completely agree.

sk!mom
09-06-2008, 02:17 PM
I started a thread a year or so ago asking how long others thought Disney would allow swaps to on. I'm surprised they ever did and would not be surprised if they are calling a halt.

Seems like there are more and more reports of "lost" swaps and really why would Disney allow it. To me it's taking advantage of luggage services.

CarolA
09-06-2008, 04:16 PM
I posted about being at ASMusic one day and watching a SWAP member come pick up her Swap. She drives up, gets the Bell Service guys to load it in her car and drives off....
Did you see what she forgot?

Yep, no tip!

I know it was a DIS swap due to the "decorated" box. (And please don't PM me, I won't tell on anyone LOL!)

However, if this happens often I bet Bell Services has complained. That thing didn't look easy to haul around...

Momto3Girls&Max
09-06-2008, 04:24 PM
I posted about being at ASMusic one day and watching a SWAP member come pick up her Swap. She drives up, gets the Bell Service guys to load it in her car and drives off....
Did you see what she forgot?

Yep, no tip!

I know it was a DIS swap due to the "decorated" box. (And please don't PM me, I won't tell on anyone LOL!)

However, if this happens often I bet Bell Services has complained. That thing didn't look easy to haul around...

Exactly!!!! I'm surprised that they've put up with these swaps as long as they have. When it was only one or two fridges I'm sure it wasn't too bad, but keeping up with so many has to be pain, especially when people forget to tip bell services.

CarolA
09-06-2008, 04:30 PM
Plus you know have stoller swaps and who knows what else. It's really out of control.

Disney is not set up to be a short term storage facility. There is limited room back there!

christa112
09-06-2008, 04:32 PM
This a msg I got from one of my swappers back on 8/15 about LS and holding the fridge:

"The LS people were ticked. They said that they are enforcing a new rule of only holding a fridge for 2 days. They said if Kris doesn't pick it up early enough, they're "putting it in lost and found" aka "losing" it."

bavaria
09-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Earlier this year my luggage was delayed due to a short connection. The courier delivered it, but the resort could not find it. After several hours I went to the luggage room myself, and no wonder they could not find my very distinctive red suitcase - there was more 'other stuff' in there than luggage. I was quite ticked, but not at the bellstaff because I could understand how difficult it was for them to find, er, luggage, in the luggage storage area.

I have no issues with WDW resorts charging a storage fee for all the cases of water, fridges, strollers, etc. I have paid at CSR before when I had a work package delivered, and often pay at other resorts around the world.

DawnM
09-06-2008, 05:04 PM
I have never used this service. The one time we stayed in a hotel without a fridge we drove down and took our large cooler that keeps things fridge cold for up to 5 days.

I have always wondered how they kept this up with no benefit to themselves.

Dawn

ajk912
09-06-2008, 05:29 PM
I am actually suprised they don't charge for luggage/packages that "live" at the hotel. It's pretty much an industry standard that the hotel will hold luggage or packages for 1-3 days free of charge, but anything beyond that is a $2-$5+ dollar per day holding fee.

disneychrista
09-06-2008, 05:46 PM
IMO if memebers want to do a swap they should be doing direct swap's. Meet up with the memeber before them get the fridge and so on and so forth. Disney should NEVER have been asked to hold fridges in the first place.

kadesha
09-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Plus you know have stoller swaps and who knows what else. It's really out of control.

What's really out of control is the price to rent a double at the parks. I never had a problem renting before they were $31 a day! :scared1:

I absolutely wouldn't mind paying a fee for the use of luggage services. I agree that it's strange that they don't charge anything.

nena
09-06-2008, 06:30 PM
I did a swap back in June. When I called luggage services to arrange to pick up the fridge, they offered to bring it to my room. When the attendant got to my room, I went to pick up the Fridge box and he said, "Oh no, let me get that for you". He then proceeded to take the box down, but also insisted on setting it up. I was very appreciative, so of course I tipped him!!! :worship: He then told me what a smart idea it was to do a swap and not to hesitate to call, when I needed the fridge picked up!!:thumbsup2

mjh8955
09-06-2008, 06:33 PM
When I was at Pop last October I was part of a fridge swap. I had gotten a call and e-mail from the person before me and she assured me it was dropped off and was well-labeled. When I got there to pick ours up the storage room people could not find it; they looked and looked. They finally let me come back there to see if I could find it. No wonder they get lost - it was stacked on top of other boxes with the label turned to the back. There is no way it could have been identified without someone climbing up on top of the second shelf with a ladder. I relabeled it and returned it at the end of my stay and called and e-mailed the next person to let her know it was there and that she might have to go back and look for it. I think that was the end of the line for that swap. I never knew what happened after that.

lisadr
09-06-2008, 07:38 PM
To the PPs' who misunderstood my question- I was asking other swap leaders and swap members what they had heard or their experiences. I was not asking for your personal opinion on whether or not Disney should allow it, whether you liked it, or any other personal opinions. If you don't have any info on, or have heard anything about what Pop plans to do in the future-kindly refrain from posting. It isn't helpful or the information I am seeking. I am not trying to be rude, but a personal opinion is not what I am looking for and it off topic.

Thank you very much:)

kadesha
09-06-2008, 07:40 PM
The "Baby It's Cold In Here" fridge swap has info on it! Check out their thread, post 191 and beyond.

disneychrista
09-06-2008, 07:43 PM
To the PP who misunderstood my question- I was asking other swap leaders what they had heard. I was not asking for your personal opinion on whether or not Disney should allow it ...

Unfortunetly when you post a PUBLIC message board you are going to get personal opinions. And I did NOT misunderstand your post and I stand by it. Swaps should not be part of Disney's responsibility.

CarolA
09-06-2008, 07:59 PM
To the PP who misunderstood my question- I was asking other swap leaders what they had heard. I was not asking for your personal opinion on whether or not Disney should allow it, whether you liked it, or any other personal opinions. If you don't have any info on, or have heard anything about what Pop plans to do in the future-kindly refrain from posting. It isn't helpful or the information I am seeking. I am not trying to be rude, but a personal opinion is not what I am looking for and it off topic.

:confused3
Just PM them.

you posted on a public message board. You don't get to pick who responds or what they say.

I think that since Disney monitors these boards they might be interested in knowing that at least some of us won't riot if the swaps are discontinuned and will actually understand. (I can only imagine the outcry on here if this comes to pass..... )

And by this post you have managed to take your OP even MORE off topic!:lmao:

msmayor
09-06-2008, 08:08 PM
To the PP who misunderstood my question- I was asking other swap leaders what they had heard. I was not asking for your personal opinion on whether or not Disney should allow it, whether you liked it, or any other personal opinions. If you don't have any info on, or have heard anything about what Pop plans to do in the future-kindly refrain from posting. It isn't helpful or the information I am seeking. I am not trying to be rude, but a personal opinion is not what I am looking for and it off topic.

I don't think anyone is being rude.

But I think what you're asking for is unrealistic. When has ANYONE been able to get a 'definitive' and 'definite' answer about anything at Disney? Folks get conflicting information constantly...they just call back and get another CM and get another answer, one that may be more to their liking. 6 Swap leaders could tell you "Yes, the CM I spoke to said the swaps are safe" and 6 others can say "Oh, the CM said that very soon they won't allow it anymore". You'll never get a good answer.

The flaw in the swap system you folks use is that its very success depends entirely TOO much on the assistance of Disney personnel. One swapper said in the referenced thread that she personally made sure Bell Services got the fridge. I'm sure she's telling the truth...but its also would seem that she didn't personally see it go into the storage area, so once it left her hands she can't really be sure where it went. That's not a knock on her...there was no reason for her to think that it wouldn't get to its intended destination. But sadly, stuff goes astray when we depend on other people to deliver things for us. Just ask anyone who has lost a package through the US Mail.

You want to guarantee a swap goes off without a hitch? Face-to-face meetings is the ONLY way. You have to keep the fridge out of the hands of people who have absolutely no vested interest in maintaining the swap. But its completely unrealistic to expect any type of 'word' or 'information' that can be relied upon from any CM at Disney regarding this. You'll get conflicting information every time.

lisadr
09-06-2008, 08:19 PM
I don't think anyone is being rude.

But I think what you're asking for is unrealistic. When has ANYONE been able to get a 'definitive' and 'definite' answer about anything at Disney? Folks get conflicting information constantly...they just call back and get another CM and get another answer, one that may be more to their liking. 6 Swap leaders could tell you "Yes, the CM I spoke to said the swaps are safe" and 6 others can say "Oh, the CM said that very soon they won't allow it anymore". You'll never get a good answer.

The flaw in the swap system you folks use is that its very success depends entirely TOO much on the assistance of Disney personnel. One swapper said in the referenced thread that she personally made sure Bell Services got the fridge. I'm sure she's telling the truth...but its also would seem that she didn't personally see it go into the storage area, so once it left her hands she can't really be sure where it went. That's not a knock on her...there was no reason for her to think that it wouldn't get to its intended destination. But sadly, stuff goes astray when we depend on other people to deliver things for us. Just ask anyone who has lost a package through the US Mail.

You want to guarantee a swap goes off without a hitch? Face-to-face meetings is the ONLY way. You have to keep the fridge out of the hands of people who have absolutely no vested interest in maintaining the swap. But its completely unrealistic to expect any type of 'word' or 'information' that can be relied upon from any CM at Disney regarding this. You'll get conflicting information every time.

I was saying that I am not trying to be rude-not the other way around.

And again-your opinion is not at all helpful or the information I am looking for. I am not going to be at Pop until 9/20. If another swap leader gets feedback from a member of their swap before then -it would be helpful to know. At any time Disney could post a notice in reference to the swaps and/or holding items- it would be good to know about it as soon as possible.

If you don't agree with the swaps -it is your choice not to join one. It is also up to each member of each swap as to how they treat the situation-I myself planned on getting it myself and if I am offered help in any way bringing it to my room-I would never think twice about tipping-I always tip.

msmayor
09-06-2008, 08:22 PM
And as I said, just be prepared for the fact that any information someone else gives you may not be accurate for you. Its akin to assuming that because its sunny and warm in Florida today it will definitely be sunny and warm a week from now.

We all know Disney CM's are notorious for providing conflicting information. Quite frankly, its not going to matter what anyone else says. Unless and until Disney provides a written policy somewhere that can be referenced, the information will change like the weather.

d1gitman
09-06-2008, 08:26 PM
or people shouldn't be so stupid as to be blatent about their swaps by advertising it. i have never swapped, yet, but i also don't use luggage services to do anything other than to bring our luggage to our room on day one via magical express. i am sure to tip and be courteous.

i have, however used luggage services to hold a stroller for us during the day. it was actually their idea. they let us use a stroller left behind in someone's room. we would use it to bring the kiddos from the room down to the bus stop. we would then check the stroller in to luggage services and board the bus to the park. we would then rent strollers at the parks. when we returned at night, we would check out the stroller from luggage services to haul our sleepy little ones back to the room, keeping the stroller in our room overnight. this was luggage services idea and it worked very well. we did this last year and the year before.

this year we will be bringing our own double stroller and purchasing a fridge. we will be checking it into luggage services on our last day, to be picked up 3 days later by a fellow DIS'r that we are doing a split cost on. However, i will not be plastering anything on the fridge or stroller to indicate it is part of a swap. Rather, i will be doing my best to disguise the fridge as a gift, bow and all. the stroller will have a zippered handbag, stuffed iwht paper towels, securely tethered to the stroller. the stroller will also permanently bear the last name of the person we are splitting the cost with. I figure if the fridge is packaged to bear the shape of something else and wrapped up in Happy Birthday paper with a bow and name card on it, it probably will get treated a bit better than a fridge that is plastered with garb that screams out "swap". I also figure that if hte stroller has a handbag tethered to it in a way that is difficult to remove, it too might get better treatment. of course, a generous tip when checking it in might be the best insurance of all....time will tell

NYPDwife
09-06-2008, 08:29 PM
IMO if memebers want to do a swap they should be doing direct swap's. Meet up with the memeber before them get the fridge and so on and so forth. Disney should NEVER have been asked to hold fridges in the first place.

ITA, last time we went, we brought a cooler (if you don't drive down, then buy one at a Walmart or something). There's FREE ice at the hotel, and we just kept renewing it. It worked fine for the 10 days we were there.

luvdzny
09-06-2008, 08:30 PM
I guess I would encourage Disney to stop the swaps, it sounds like the luggage storage rooms are already quite full with guests luggage. I can understand how the fridges would get lost if they are sitting in storage for longer than a few hours. Think about how much luggage goes in and out of those rooms everyday, I don't think the bellhops should have to worry about all the other items that are stored there. Also, as another poster pointed out, the resorts rent fridges to guests so why should bell services waste time on storing freebies so that guests do not have to pay for them.

ajk912
09-06-2008, 08:32 PM
I must be really tired because I have read this entire page twice looking for the "update on page 2" and I don't see an update. :confused3 All I see is the OP complaining because the thread is going off topic (so what?). Shame on some of the DISers for supporting Disney instead of the OP. lol. Is that the update? Maybe I just need to go to bed... :lmao:

lisadr
09-06-2008, 08:45 PM
I must be really tired because I have read this entire page twice looking for the "update on page 2" and I don't see an update. :confused3 All I see is the OP complaining because the thread is going off topic (so what?). Shame on some of the DISers for supporting Disney instead of the OP. lol. Is that the update? Maybe I just need to go to bed... :lmao:

You are absolutely correct-it is not an update-couldn't think of how to say I had posted the thread where I read the info. SO terribly sorry:worship:

AND AGAIN-I did not post an thread asking DISers their opinion or to or not defend Disney-but if there is an interest- I could start a new thread-just for you:thumbsup2 BUT as for this thread, it is simply to see what other swap leaders have heard and how they were planning to go handle it-that's all.

Perhaps sleep in needed to focus better and stay on topic:lmao:

Thank you again for your opinion:rolleyes1

Sandy321
09-06-2008, 08:45 PM

:rotfl2:

thank you,

my thoughts too =

also - IF DISNEY WOULD PROVIDE FREE FRIDGES IN ALL ROOMS (like the cheaper Motel6) this would not be an issue!

and it wouldnt cost anything - just put the fridges in the rooms already! (I remember when the Deluxe and Moderate resorts did not have fridges, now they do - I'm all for fridge swaps letting disney know that people that stay in values deserve fridges!)

lisadr
09-06-2008, 08:48 PM
ITA, last time we went, we brought a cooler (if you don't drive down, then buy one at a Walmart or something). There's FREE ice at the hotel, and we just kept renewing it. It worked fine for the 10 days we were there.

Yeah we did that too on our last trip too. I just didn't trust it with things like milk and such. On the trip before that we rented and it would up being $80, so we decided to try something new:)

But thank you very much for the advice/help:goodvibes

Lisa

kadesha
09-06-2008, 08:52 PM
also - IF DISNEY WOULD PROVIDE FREE FRIDGES IN ALL ROOMS (like the cheaper Motel6) this would not be an issue!

yeah that. We ended up at a little roach motel in a hick town on the way home from Disney on our first trip. We were surprised to see that it had a fridge after we had been loading our cooler with ice several times a day at Disney.

lisadr
09-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Unfortunetly when you post a PUBLIC message board you are going to get personal opinions. And I did NOT misunderstand your post and I stand by it. Swaps should not be part of Disney's responsibility.

I get the public message board concept, but yet others don't get the idea of being OT. I am glad you feel so strongly you need to restate your opinion. Feel better?:thumbsup2

bavaria
09-06-2008, 08:55 PM

and it wouldnt cost anything - just put the fridges in the rooms already!

Well, it would cost something - who do you think is going to pay for about 9,000 fridges? (I am estimated about 8,000 rooms at the value resorts, plus some extras to have on hand as spares)

That intial outlay is quite expensive - at $100/fridge you are looking at $900,000 - and that is a conservative figure.

CarolA
09-06-2008, 08:56 PM

thank you,

my thoughts too =

and it wouldnt cost anything - just put the fridges in the rooms already! (I remember when the Deluxe and Moderate resorts did not have fridges, now they do - I'm all for fridge swaps letting disney know that people that stay in values deserve fridges!)

Well once again we have proof that Disney doesn't work like other hotels.

For example, if I stay at the bottom tier of the Marriott chain. (Fairfield for example) I often get a fridge and I ALWAYS get free internet. If I stay at a Marriott (full service) you practially never get a fridge UNLESS it used to be a mini bar (or still is?) and you ALWAYS pay for internet.

Disney does it backwards on the fridges. :rotfl: However, they originally used those fridges to make money. They didn't buy most of them as a "addition" to the room to be nice. They were mini bars at the deluxe hotels and CBR. I assume they just didn't make enough so they turned them into "free" fridges. That meant they had to add them to the other mods....

parkers*momma
09-06-2008, 08:57 PM

thank you,

my thoughts too =

With all the swaps that have had refridges come up missing...they might just be doing that...With dis'ers lost fridges :rotfl:

Seriously, I completely understand the OP question because these fine ladies have put alot of time organizing and maintaining these swaps. Not only do they have a monitary involvement but a mental one too. If Disney is going to put a halt to it, then they have to figure out different routes (person to person only swaps or figure out how to get the items back to the leaders or ......) And let's face it, if Disney is going to put an end to holding such items, they aren't going to notify anyone...it just going to be "POOOF" and all the refridges will be gone. LISADR is only thinking ahead trying to starve off what may be a future problem.

kadesha
09-06-2008, 09:00 PM
exactly parkers*momma. I don't get why people want to come in with negativity on a thread when someone is trying to find a solution to a problem. Yes, it is a public message board, but why come upset everyone if you don't even have anything to do with the issue?

lisadr
09-06-2008, 09:02 PM
With all the swaps that have had refridges come up missing...they might just be doing that...With dis'ers lost fridges :rotfl:

Seriously, I completely understand the OP question because these fine ladies have put alot of time organizing and maintaining these swaps. Not only do they have a monitary involvement but a mental one too. If Disney is going to put a halt to it, then they have to figure out different routes (person to person only swaps or figure out how to get the items back to the leaders or ......) And let's face it, if Disney is going to put an end to holding such items, they aren't going to notify anyone...it just going to be "POOOF" and all the refridges will be gone. LISADR is only thinking ahead trying to starve off what may be a future problem.

THANK YOU!THANK YOU! THANK YOU! For seeing the reason for this post. I never meant for it to become a debate about the validity of swaps-simply trying to regroup if needed, so that people who are depending on and have contributed to this don't get left out in the cold.

Thanks again:)

Sandy321
09-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Well, it would cost something - who do you think is going to pay for about 9,000 fridges? (I am estimated about 8,000 rooms at the value resorts, plus some extras to have on hand as spares)

That intial outlay is quite expensive - at $100/fridge you are looking at $900,000 - and that is a conservative figure.

Seriously, I think disney could just add $1 service fee (think like the airlines ok?) to all the values for one year, and fridges paid for -

When disney wants to make money, they raise prices and they lower what they offer..

MNSSHP comes to mind... 10,000 people at $50

or taking off Filet Mignons from menus...

but giving Value resort guests a fridge for "free" --- goodwill

fwiw I too have packed a collapsable cooler and did the ice thing - at the Poly - and I too have had free internet at other resorts, and think Disney needs to get a clue and play catch up to those hotels - but, I'm just one lonely poster on a Saturday night relating to dh about the Budget boards...

bavaria
09-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Seriously, I think disney could just add $1 service fee (think like the airlines ok?) to all the values for one year, and fridges paid for -

When disney wants to make money, they raise prices

Oh, I agree with you, don't worry! :) WE of course would be paying for those fridges in higher room rates.

I doubt that they have enough demand now from people willing to pay whatever it is per night for a fridge - ten or twelve dollars I think? But if they put them in all the rooms, and raised rates a few dollars a night, they would be covered in a year.

lisadr
09-06-2008, 09:06 PM
exactly parkers*momma. I don't get why people want to come in with negativity on a thread when someone is trying to find a solution to a problem. Yes, it is a public message board, but why come upset everyone if you don't even have anything to do with the issue?

Honestly, sometimes I feel the only reason people log in is to spread negativity. Like you mom used to say "If you can't say something nice....." It seems all some people are interested in is scolding for something they deem wrong.*sigh*

CarolA
09-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Honestly, sometimes I feel the only reason people log in is to spread negativity. Like you mom used to say "If you can't say something nice....." It seems all some people are interested in is scolding for something they deem wrong.*sigh*

I don't see a lot of negativity. REALITY maybe, but NO one has bashed you for starting a swap. No one has said swaps are bad. We have said that we are suprised Disney is basically faciliting these things. They cost Disney money. And it's not just the "rent" on the fridges. Disney has to pay those bell service people, more volume means more people are needed. Time spent delivering fridges is time not spent delivering DME luggage, once again leading to either irrate guests or the need to pay more people to meet the demand..... . That's not "negative" it's just an observation.

The negativity I see is from the folks who thought that they could "control" the direction of a thread and are now unhappy that you can't.

Just out of curiosity I went and looked at some of the swap schedules. Some of those fridges are spending several days a month just hanging around a luggage area. Now I bet that's also where Disney keeps the fridges they rent, I KNOW it's where they keep the TONS of luggage that comes in on DME so those rooms are probably crowded. Remember that at the value resorts they were ALL built before the implementation of DME and probably had dramatically LESS luggage being stored before then they do now.

bavaria
09-06-2008, 09:19 PM

Er, actually I thought that Sandy, CarolA and I were having an interesting discussion about the cost of placing fridges in all the rooms and what it would mean in terms of room rates. I think that is a positive discussion as it would remove the need for these type of swaps. :)

CarolA
09-06-2008, 09:29 PM
yeah that. We ended up at a little roach motel in a hick town on the way home from Disney on our first trip. We were surprised to see that it had a fridge after we had been loading our cooler with ice several times a day at Disney.

Perhaps a BETTER question would be

"Why is it that you were willing to pay Disney MORE money for less?"

The truth is that Disney is booking those resorts pretty full. So why should they "add" things that they don't need to sell rooms? From thier point of view it makes sense. From mine?? Not so much.

I have a short trip coming up in Oct.
Hotel options

1. Marriott Courtyard Lake Buena Vista. Two room suite with kitchette... $89 a night
2. Disney value $99.

Hmm..... I went with the Marriott. Disney wasn't providing the value, service etc. However, I am not in the majority on here, they would have gone Pop because "it's Disney and it's got themeing etc" I rent a car either way so transports not really an issue.

As long as they keep the rooms full, they aren't adding things! They don't need to. Hotels add things to get guests to come, not because they love us! (They don't, they love our money!)

bavaria
09-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Remember too that until recently, not all rooms at WDW resorts had hairdryers, or irons/boards, which are pretty much standard in North American hotel rooms. And moderates only had coffee makers placed a few years ago, which are still not in value resorts.

Plus all those items add labour cost to clean and maintain, and of course we will be paying those costs in higher room rates.

parkers*momma
09-06-2008, 09:37 PM
I think the reason the OP was addressing certain issues with this thread is Because it IS getting off topic.

I don't know LISADR, this is the first I've been on a thread she has started but she IS addressing a possible real problem and seeking answers to that problem on what to do with swaps. This thread has gotten WAY OFF TOPIC.

A possible solution for the swaps might be a person to person which is extremely difficult at this time since the swaps are already set but here is an idea. If there are several different swap at one hotel (Pop) and there is a lag on one of the swaps (SWAP #1), maybe one of the other swaps (SWAP#2) would be interested in picking it up and keeping it in their room until the next swapper (FROM SWAP #1) could get there.

DIS was created for many reason...but the main reason was to HELP each us and each other out with tips, discounts, etc. Granted, doing it this way would take a lil time from the vacationer BUT some might be willing to do it to help other dis'ers out and keep the swaps going.

DVCBELLE
09-06-2008, 09:42 PM
I think it is simple economics for Disney not to provide fridges in their rooms - if you have a fridge - you buy more food off property and spend less at their restaraunts and counters.

So they want you to either pay extra for the fridge, upgrade to a mod or deluxe or spend money on food in the parks. There is a reason they call them value resorts.

I can't imagine the few swaps going on would be enough for them to decide that they want to stop them or buy fridges - I imagine IF they decide to stop them it has more to do with Bell Services complaining about not being tipped or it being too big of a hassle.

kath1210
09-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Hi Lisa - I stayed at POFQ in June. We used a scooter rented from an off-site source. When we returned it to luggage services, and asked for a receipt, they said they no longer give out receipts for anything other than items they are holding for guests (like luggage or other personal items that guests will pick up). I wanted proof that we left the scooter with them, but they refused.

Also, I was a swap leader (not started by me - I "inherited" it) until recently, when our fridge was lost. Some of my swappers reported that luggage services at the All Star resorts were refusing to give receipts for the fridges.

As for banning fridge swaps, it may be true, but I've heard that rumor ever since they started.

nena
09-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Hi Lisa - I stayed at POFQ in June. We used a scooter rented from an off-site source. When we returned it to luggage services, and asked for a receipt, they said they no longer give out receipts for anything other than items they are holding for guests (like luggage or other personal items that guests will pick up). I wanted proof that we left the scooter with them, but they refused.

Also, I was a swap leader (not started by me - I "inherited" it) until recently, when our fridge was lost. Some of my swappers reported that luggage services at the All Star resorts were refusing to give receipts for the fridges.

As for banning fridge swaps, it may be true, but I've heard that rumor ever since they started.

I think you are the first to respond to the OP!! :woohoo:

lisadr
09-06-2008, 09:52 PM
"Folks are using them as a free storage site, and that's just not right."

"Plus you know have stoller swaps and who knows what else. It's really out of control"

"there was more 'other stuff' in there than luggage. I was quite ticked,"

"Swaps should not be part of Disney's responsibility."

I am noticing a bit of negativity in regards to swaps. As for myself-yes-I am guilty of responding to snarky remarks that are totally uncalled for. I simply asked a question and a lot of people jumped in feeling the need to defend Disney or down on swaps. But what I don't get is, if it does not affect you beyond you personal opinion-why keep going, and going, and going:confused3

I could keep responding to the posters who feel then need to keep harping, but then it becomes a new thread altogether, and I have little interest in it. So, feel free to post, of course this is a public forum, knock yourselves out. I will simply sift through and get the info I need, and ignore the rest. It rest doesn't interest me anymore and it just gets nastier and nastier:guilty:

To any swap leaders or posters who are also trying to communicate and get info from this thread-I apologize for the static. Sometimes you just gotta tune it out:sad2:

lisadr
09-06-2008, 09:55 PM

Thank you so much for the info. It is especially good to know, being new to Dis boards, swaps, and being a swap leader that this "rumor" has been going around awhile. It is just that since we just started, everybody in the swap has put $$ into it and I don't want to see them go without.

Thanks again for the info:goodvibes

mybabesuz
09-06-2008, 09:56 PM
:idea: Just an idea...:duck:
We could start a co-op for the fridges...
When you sign up for a fridge swap you agree
that you may have to hold another fridge for a day or two.
We could help each other out and serve a go betweens
for each others swaps...
Or atleast ask swappers if they would be willing to help out...
The only problem would be in the slow times if no one has swappers.
In our swap we work very hard to find swappers to fill gaps.
Maybe we could send the Fridge as a package to the next swapper...:lmao:
Will they still hold those for two weeks...

Of Course the Ultimate Solution would be for POP to put Fridges in all the rooms
or atleast lower the Fee.:goodvibes

lisadr
09-06-2008, 10:04 PM
for each others swaps...

Of Course the Ultimate Solution would be for POP to put Fridges in all the rooms

It's not bad idea, but I would not want to organize that:laughing: I have enough trouble keeping track of my own-lol. But I know there are super organized people out there who could do it no problem. I had though about something similar with filling dates. I have seen people asking if the swap leaders knew of any swaps with open dates, because that swap didn't have their dates available, and I was thinking that if we could communicate between each other we could "refer" people to each other. But again-who's gonna keep track of that master list-:lmao:

Quick question, how long has your swap been going?

mybabesuz
09-06-2008, 10:10 PM
I know it has been asked for before...:goodvibes
But if we had a swap board just for swaps...
It would make it easier and it would also please
the anti-swapper people :duck: who are tired of looking at us...

lisadr
09-06-2008, 10:15 PM

I have to give you a :worship: for such a great idea, and a :rotfl2: for the rest!

DisneyFans-Poage
09-06-2008, 10:37 PM
I agree these people should be tipped and taken care of. I had a friend to do her intership down there and said sometimes people take advantage of the employess at WDW. But when Walt Disney was alive he was into customer service at the resorts and the park. For people to leave the items for the next swapper should be a customer service. As is it for me to send a box down there before i get there so i don't have to get charged for it on the airlines. That is customer service to hold it for me be it a few days to a couple of weeks. I know they are there to make money, but if they stop swaps, it may cut back on the people who visit or stay on site.

Both sides need to work together to keep swaps going.

NYPDwife
09-06-2008, 10:51 PM
I know they are there to make money, but if they stop swaps, it may cut back on the people who visit or stay on site.

:lmao: That will never happen. For every person who decides to stay off-site, there are probably five more who will fight for the opportunity to stay on-site. I think perks like transportation & EMH far outweigh a fridge swap. If you want a fridge, save the money and rent or pay for a Mod. If the values had the same amenities as the mod and deluxe hotels, Disney wouldn't be able to book as many rooms in mod & deluxe. At the end of the day, it's all about the almighty dollar. You can only hope that Disney will give great customer service while you dish out your last dollar to them.

sk!mom
09-06-2008, 11:11 PM
To the PPs' who misunderstood my question- I was asking other swap leaders and swap members what they had heard or their experiences. I was not asking for your personal opinion on whether or not Disney should allow it, whether you liked it, or any other personal opinions. If you don't have any info on, or have heard anything about what Pop plans to do in the future-kindly refrain from posting. It isn't helpful or the information I am seeking. I am not trying to be rude, but a personal opinion is not what I am looking for and it off topic.

Wow!- sorry that I went off-topic. I hope someone can help answer your question. OOPs- I guess I just did it again.

Look at it this way, at least people posting are keeping it on the first page until somebody comes along who can answer your question.

englishrose47
09-06-2008, 11:16 PM
I say lets not get off topic ! As a swapper I hope Disney doesn't stop our swaps. I always tip and had no problems picking up my swap items with LS. I did not ask for or get a receipt. Is this a new thing we are doing !That may be he problem asking them to find the swapitem and then make out a receipt . Just a thought!! I wont comment on the Nay sayers they have the right to their opinion. But this thread should stay on topic !!

lisadr
09-06-2008, 11:18 PM
I say lets not get off topic ! As a swapper I hope Disney doesn't stop our swaps. I always tip and had no problems picking up my swap items with LS. I did not ask for or get a receipt. Is this a new thing we are doing !That may be he problem asking them to find the swapitem and then make out a receipt . Just a thought!! I wont comment on the Nay sayers they have the right to their opinion. But this thread should stay on topic !!

I just found out about the receipt recently myself, as well as confirmation #s. Being new to this, it is quite the learning process:scared: -lol. Can you tell me your experience with your swap.

Another question-do the people in your swap have LS/BS bring and pick up the fridge? I had gone on the assumption it was a self serve. You go down and get it and you drop it off-unless you are unable to then get help-but of course then you should definitely tip. In fact I would tip LS person just for finding it in the back-if they are able to accept it. I could see a bellhop(if Pop even has them??) offering to help to try to get a tip, and if you don't feel like lugging it to your room-I say the tip is well worth it!

disneychrista
09-06-2008, 11:23 PM
I get the public message board concept, but yet others don't get the idea of being OT. I am glad you feel so strongly you need to restate your opinion. Feel better?:thumbsup2

Actually since we are still discussing fridge swaps this is still OT. If we started talking about say the MK need for a new parade, now that would be OT.

sk!mom
09-06-2008, 11:55 PM

But see you are off topic according to the OP. She only wants responses from those who can address whether or not Disney has discontinued swaps so according to her you should not have posted unless you could answer that question.

OOps- I did it again!

kaytieeldr
09-07-2008, 12:07 AM
"Folks are using them as a free storage site, and that's just not right."

"Plus you know have stoller swaps and who knows what else. It's really out of control"

"there was more 'other stuff' in there than luggage. I was quite ticked,"

"Swaps should not be part of Disney's responsibility."

I am noticing a bit of negativity in regards to swaps. As for myself-yes-I am guilty of responding to snarky remarks that are totally uncalled for. I don't see a single bit of snark in any response quoted. Stretching the main topic, perhaps. Opinions, including those based on experience, sure. But snark? Not even close.

The original swap - the one two years ago, when somebody first CALLED Pop Century and was told it would not be a problem for them to hold the refrigerator for a short time between Guests - was undoubtedly expected by Pop to be a one-shot deal. They had no idea there would be somewhere in the vicinity of a couple of dozen (at peak) swaps going on.

HAS Disney banned this procedure, as of 1:19 AM EST Sunday, September 7, 2008? No public announcement as of this moment. WILL they? Very likely.

KnowThySelf
09-07-2008, 12:29 AM
Being new and all, I want to make sure I got this right. People organize sharing items like a fridge to save $$. Now Disney might stop it because they don't want to hold stuff. And LisaDR is trying to find out about this. And some people don't like swaps.

Do I have it right?

I might be new but I gotta say y'all are some grouchy people-what you you care what other people do? Let 'em have their swaps and let Disney deal with it however they want-it's not your concern.

I also want to add that if this is how y'all "help" each other it's coming across pretty strange to me??

lisadr
09-07-2008, 12:42 AM
Being new and all, I want to make sure I got this right. People organize sharing items like a fridge to save $$. Now Disney might stop it because they don't want to hold stuff. And LisaDR is trying to find out about this. And some people don't like swaps.

Do I have it right?

I might be new but I gotta say y'all are some grouchy people-what you you care what other people do? Let 'em have their swaps and let Disney deal with it however they want-it's not your concern.

I also want to add that if this is how y'all "help" each other it's coming across pretty strange to me??

Don't write of the DisBoards just yet. There are a LOT of really helpful, friendly people in here:goodvibes. I guess sometimes certain subjects just rile people up:confused3 It's best to ignore them-no need to aggravate yourself. Sometimes I forget that:rolleyes1 but in the end it just feels better to let people rant and go about your business:thumbsup2

WELCOME TO THE DIS BOARDS!!!!!!!!:yay:

BostonRob
09-07-2008, 07:33 AM

Do I have it right?

There are plenty of people here that are very helpful but also have personalities and opinions. Good luck insulating yourself from other people's personalities and opinions anywhere - internet or real life.

aprilgail2
09-07-2008, 08:16 AM
Remember too that until recently, not all rooms at WDW resorts had hairdryers, or irons/boards, which are pretty much standard in North American hotel rooms. And moderates only had coffee makers placed a few years ago, which are still not in value resorts.

Plus all those items add labour cost to clean and maintain, and of course we will be paying those costs in higher room rates.

Disney should just raise the rates on their value rooms by 10.00 a day and put fridges in- people would still pay the rates since it is cheaper than the moderates and they would have their fridge.

disneyjunkie
09-07-2008, 08:20 AM

AND AGAIN-I did not post an thread asking DISers their opinion or to or not defend Disney-but if there is an interest- I could start a new thread-just for you:thumbsup2 BUT as for this thread, it is simply to see what other swap leaders have heard and how they were planning to go handle it-that's all.

Perhaps sleep in needed to focus better and stay on topic:lmao:

Thank you again for your opinion:rolleyes1

:lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

You don't have ownership of a thread. You don't get to control what is posted.

Er, actually I thought that Sandy, CarolA and I were having an interesting discussion about the cost of placing fridges in all the rooms and what it would mean in terms of room rates. I think that is a positive discussion as it would remove the need for these type of swaps. :)

I'm finding the discussion very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to post.:thumbsup2

That won't solve anything. DISers are free to post to any thread/board on the DIS. The only requirement is that they adhere to board guidelines.

NYPDwife
09-07-2008, 08:25 AM
What, IMHO, swappers don't seem to understand is that everytime you join up to share a fridge, photopass CD's, coffee makers, etc. You make prices go up for the rest of us who pay up front. And that's not fair!:headache: You spend thousands on a trip, just pay the fridge fee!

kadesha
09-07-2008, 08:25 AM
That won't solve anything. DISers are free to post to any thread/board on the DIS. The only requirement is that they adhere to board guidelines.

True. There will always be some people who have nothing better to do than sticking their noses in something that isn't even their business to cause problems for others and disrupt discussions that aren't even important to them. :confused3

disneyjunkie
09-07-2008, 08:26 AM
Disney should just raise the rates on their value rooms by 10.00 a day and put fridges in- people would still pay the rates since it is cheaper than the moderates and they would have their fridge.

That would solve the problem.

Of course those of us who don't care about having a fridge will see the cost of our trips increase. Thanks swappers:cheer2::rolleyes:

CookieGVB
09-07-2008, 08:28 AM
Just a question, since I'm curious...if you don't get a receipt from luggage claim service, how do you ever find the item again? I'm sure they have hundreds of items stored - how on earth would they find it if there's no numbering/receipt system to keep track of it? :confused:

disneyjunkie
09-07-2008, 08:32 AM
True. There will always be some people who have nothing better to do than sticking their noses in something that isn't even their business to cause problems for others and disrupt discussions that aren't even important to them. :confused3

It is their business.

If Disney decides to increase prices to combat those who can't follow the rules, it will impact all of us.

kadesha
09-07-2008, 08:34 AM
It is their business.

If Disney decides to increase prices to combat those who can't follow the rules, it will impact all of us.

The few fridge swaps going on isn't going to cause them to put fridges in all of the rooms. If they decide to do so, it'd be because they are catching up to the rest of the cheap motels in the world that already have them. I think it's about time they do that quite honestly.

Are swaps against any rules? Is there some rule that says you can't leave a package for someone at your resort?

CarolA
09-07-2008, 08:36 AM

My suggestion.

Those of you who want a swap board. Contact the mods/board owners and volunteer to pay for it.

Here's the deal. Every "sub board" etc adds more band width and has to be paid for. The DIS does this by sponsors (which I used to be, but am not anymore, it's just impossible to remove that old tag) and advertisers. I can't imagine finding an advertiser willing to pay for "sponsoring" a swap board unless it's a manufacturer of refrigerators!

What I am amazed at is the complaining on here that Disney should just provide fridges at the values? As I said before WHY? From a business point of view the hotel are full. They don't need to add things. Now if they did discontinue the swaps and you really meant what you say, you would move to an off site at comparable price that has fridges. But the truth is that even with the volume of swaps on here it's a drop in the bucket. Say 10 to 20 rooms MAX out of the thousands of value rooms.

As long as Disney can get the prices they want with the services they provide they see no reason to change. You are voting with your pocketbook.

lisadr
09-07-2008, 08:46 AM
To the swappers, just a quick update, I called Pop this morning and they lovely woman I spoke to was very helpful.

Here's what she said:

1)She checked with her supervisor and the person above her supervisor and they said they had no problem with the swap. Actually she said it was a wonderful idea because they don't always have enough fridges and they have to make sure the people who need them for meds and such get them first. Also, they would rather people trade them off then buy them and leave them(although I would rather think that would work out in their favor-lol).

2) They will hold items for us, as long as it is marked. She also mentioned Housekeeping as the people to arrange that with. Maybe they have more room there???? In any case at least we don't have to worry about missing each other and not being able to do a face to face swap.

3) As far as policy against swaps-she checked, her boss checked, and another manager checked-as of right now they haven't heard anything at all about such policy coming into effect. Now we all know that anything could happen, but I think as long as we work hard to be very low impact about it, there would be no reason to stop.

My advice would be this-don't make a bother of yourself, take care of the people/services that help you, and make the employees of Pop experiences with us as pleasant as possible. :love: I am very sure that for the majority, the people in the swaps are doing just that, and you cannot control the behavior of individuals, but perhaps adding a simple post on your thread reminding your swap members to be extra nice to the people in LS/Mousekeeping/BH/front desk(who ever they deal with) might go a long way. I am going to add that to my thread as part of the swappers responsibility, to ensure everyone gets to use the items.

LOL-who knew this was such a HOT topic:lmao:

NYPDwife
09-07-2008, 08:52 AM

Of course those of us who don't care about having a fridge will see the cost of our trips increase. Thanks swappers:cheer2::rolleyes:

:thumbsup2

kadesha
09-07-2008, 08:57 AM

You can't be serious!! As it was pointed out earlier in the thread, there are 10-20 rooms that may be swapping out of THOUSANDS of value rooms! They aren't going to put fridges in the room because 10-20 swaps may be going on. Since when does Disney go out of their way to accomodate such a small number of people? If that's how it works, then LTT wouldn't be discontinuing their character meal, Adventurers Club wouldn't be closing etc.

parkers*momma
09-07-2008, 09:08 AM

Boy oh boy, that would simply be horrible...raising the rack rate of the rooms to benefit everyone with the use of a refridge in the room vs the typical raise the rates to line Disney's pocket.

Disney raises their rates all the time and yes, we grumble about it. But we continue to book our vacations and go to WDW. Wouldn't it be nice for them to raise the rates and give an amenity to the guest than just raise the rates for a better profit margin for themselves.

And yes, this is OT, but the OP was gracious enough to give up her stance and let it become a "let's pick this to death" thread. So with that being said, let me say this...

It would cost WDW significantly to put a refridge in...I agree with the poster who stated the $$ amount, but if WDW charges just $1 additional per night (as another poster stated) those refridge would be paid for by everyone and EVERYONE would have them for their use. Some pps' have sais that is what makes values-values and one of the difference in mod/deluxe. I've seen all the resorts. To me, the refridges aren't the difference. It's the size of the rooms, the decor, pools, shops, etc. is why you pay more at the mods/deluxe...not because you have a refridge in your room.

And let's face it, for those who complain about the swaps, if there was a refridge in your room compliments of wdw, you would use it. This is the BUDGET BOARD not the LET'S STICK IT TO WDW BOARD. We are trying to save money with the swaps. If you are there for two weeks and pay the $10 a day...you have just paid for that refridge for WDW. So the remaining 351 days @ $10 ($3510.00 minus electric) is pure profit for WDW. Why not try to save yourself a lil and HELP another Dis'er out and do the swap since this is a BUDGET BOARD and we are all about saving money.

What, those who thinks swaps are dishonest and putting the stick to WDW, have never used one thing from the budget board to save themselves a lil money while at wdw? Yes, I belong to a swap and I also have used many codes, gardengrocer, staples, hints and secrets share on these threads to save a lil while enjoying WDW. Have you? If you have, than I guess you are just as guilty as the rest of us. A wrong is a wrong no matter how big or lil it is, if you have used one bit of info to save yourself money at WDW then it could be classified as wrong as these swaps.

Swappers don't give their opinions on how you should spend your money, they don't ask for you to look for their fridge in luggage services, not tip you for bringing it to their room, picking it up, nor do they jump on your thread begging you for sympathy when a refridge can't be found. This tread was started, by a swapper, to figure out their next step with the refridges, that they OWN, incase Disney mandates this new rule.

This could have been a very benefical thread for everyone who CHOSES to participate in a swap instead it became a war zone for swappers and ANTI-swappers. How sad!

lisadr
09-07-2008, 09:17 AM
It seemed so simple, ask a question get an answer. :confused3

You are totally right ParkersMomma-a war zone. And for what? You have to wonder what there is to gain from making a stand against swaps??:confused:

I appreciate your support;)

CarolA
09-07-2008, 09:18 AM
This could have been a very benefical thread for everyone who CHOSES to participate in a swap instead it became a war zone for swappers and ANTI-swappers. How sad!

This was a war zone?:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Having thoughts is WRONG and BAD?:lmao:

No one attacked anyone, people posted out WHY Disney might make decisons others didn't like. People made suggestions on HOW Disney might add fridges and pay for them. Other people thought that raising rates for things EVERYONE didn't want was not a great idea.

The WAR ZONE appears to have come about because some folks who participate or lead swaps think that thoughts on why Disney might not like these are WRONG and should be BANNED!:lmao:

Truly I am amazed at the reaction of the swappers to posts that say "here are things to consider" No one said you were bad for having swaps. No one attacked you for trying to rip Disney off of thier rent money etc.

What did you expect? An outcry of love and sympathy? An outcry of OUTRAGE (somehow I expect it's this one)?

Seriously, the response by those who think they were attacked is kind of strange. The attacking I saw was that "posters dared to respond to my post that I didn't want too" That's just kind of unrealistic. If you only want your "friends" to respond on a message board, open up a private one and invite just them! Otherwise, welcome to the DIS.

parkers*momma
09-07-2008, 09:21 AM
To the swappers, just a quick update, I called Pop this morning and they lovely woman I spoke to was very helpful.

Here's what she said:

1)She checked with her supervisor and the person above her supervisor and they said they had no problem with the swap. Actually she said it was a wonderful idea because they don't always have enough fridges and they have to make sure the people who need them for meds and such get them first. Also, they would rather people trade them off then buy them and leave them(although I would rather think that would work out in their favor-lol).

2) They will hold items for us, as long as it is marked. She also mentioned Housekeeping as the people to arrange that with. Maybe they have more room there???? In any case at least we don't have to worry about missing each other and not being able to do a face to face swap.

3) As far as policy against swaps-she checked, her boss checked, and another manager checked-as of right now they haven't heard anything at all about such policy coming into effect. Now we all know that anything could happen, but I think as long as we work hard to be very low impact about it, there would be no reason to stop.

My advice would be this-don't make a bother of yourself, take care of the people/services that help you, and make the employees of Pop experiences with us as pleasant as possible. :love: I am very sure that for the majority, the people in the swaps are doing just that, and you cannot control the behavior of individuals, but perhaps adding a simple post on your thread reminding your swap members to be extra nice to the people in LS/Mousekeeping/BH/front desk(who ever they deal with) might go a long way. I am going to add that to my thread as part of the swappers responsibility, to ensure everyone gets to use the items.

Thanks LISADR for calling and sharing this with us!!

disneyjunkie
09-07-2008, 09:35 AM

No one attacked anyone, people posted out WHY Disney might make decisons others didn't like. People made suggestions on HOW Disney might add fridges and pay for them. Other people thought that raising rates for things EVERYONE didn't want was not a great idea.

The WAR ZONE appears to have come about because some folks who participate or lead swaps think that thoughts on why Disney might not like these are WRONG and should be BANNED!:lmao:

Truly I am amazed at the reaction of the swappers to posts that say "here are things to consider" No one said you were bad for having swaps. No one attacked you for trying to rip Disney off of thier rent money etc.

What did you expect? An outcry of love and sympathy? An outcry of OUTRAGE (somehow I expect it's this one)?

Seriously, the response by those who think they were attacked is kind of strange. The attacking I saw was that "posters dared to respond to my post that I didn't want too" That's just kind of unrealistic. If you only want your "friends" to respond on a message board, open up a private one and invite just them! Otherwise, welcome to the DIS.

Well said. :worship: :worship:

As far as the reply from the Pop, that doesn't really prove anything. 3 people can call, speak to 3 different CMs, ask the same exact questions and get 3 different answers. It happens all the time.

parkers*momma
09-07-2008, 09:41 AM

Thanks Swappers!!

Here's the thread:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1788952&page=13

Lisa

I don't see anywhere in the OP about WDW putting refridges in their room or suggestions for it.:confused3 And it went way off topic from there.

I expected answers on how the swap leaders would handle the situation if WDW did impliment the new rule, not WHY they should impliment the rule.

Seriously, the response by those who think they were attacked is kind of strange. The attacking I saw was that "posters dared to respond to my post that I didn't want too" That's just kind of unrealistic.
What I saw was was not "posters dared to respond to my post that I didn't want too" but posters who brought information/opinions/ideas that was not helping the OP with her question of "Have any other swap leaders heard anything about these two new policies? If so could you share what info you heard. Also besides a face to face swap-how are you going to handle these new policies??" HOW does 90% of these post have ANYTHING to do with the direct questions in the OP?

If you only want your "friends" to respond on a message board, open up a private one and invite just them! Otherwise, welcome to the DIS.
Thanks for the welcome-a lil late- but thanks again. I've been here for about 5 years, just a new nic. :)

kaytieeldr
09-07-2008, 09:48 AM
I might be new but I gotta say y'all are some grouchy people-what you you care what other people do? Let 'em have their swaps and let Disney deal with it however they want-it's not your concern. Well, yeah, it is - when, for example, your resort can't find your luggage in the holding area because of all the non-luggage items in there (see bavaria's post about her usually easy-to-spot red suitcase); or when Disney has transferred your vital medical equipment from your original resort to Pop Century for the next part of your trip... then can't find it for several hours, necessitating a trip to the emergency room,,, because it's under some other item (that, granted, nobody apparently lifted).

I expected answers on how the swap leaders would handle the situation if WDW did impliment the new rule, not WHY they should impliment the rule.
But, again, this is a public forum. This specific thread has followed all the DIS Guidelines. Posters who wish to direct/control/restrict the responses on any given topic should consider creating their own private forums - I know I'm involved in several on YahooGroups.com - or restrict the conversation to PMs.

msmayor
09-07-2008, 09:55 AM
Well said. :worship: :worship:

As far as the reply from the Pop, that doesn't really prove anything. 3 people can call, speak to 3 different CMs, ask the same exact questions and get 3 different answers. It happens all the time.

Exactly!!

Folks keep talking about Disney implementing "policy". I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that there will NEVER be a policy implemented regarding fridge swaps. By not having a written policy it makes it far easier to absolve themselves of responsibility for missing fridges. They didn't label them, there's no receipt, etc. etc.

And for those who say it shouldn't be such a problem for the 20 or so swaps that are going on here compared to the 'thousands' of rooms, my understanding from reading around is that fridge swaps are not unique to DIS...that there are other 'communities' such as this one that have swaps going. I'd be willing to bet there are a lot more than just 20 fridges floating around.

I don't begrudge anyone from participating in a swap. I have no problem with them if that's what folks want to do to save a few bucks. What I do find troubling is when some folks become critical of CM's because they don't want to help find a lost fridge. I'll say it again: asking someone who has no vested interest whatsoever in keeping the swap going and who never FORMALLY agreed to take responsibility for keeping a fridge safe in storage isn't the best way to make sure it doesn't get lost. Face to face exchanges between swappers is the only way to ensure it stays on track.

bavaria
09-07-2008, 09:57 AM

I know that I am not 'permitted' to reply, but since my original post was partially quoted and this post is in reference to that post, I will. (although yet again it would appear that kaytieeldr has already voiced my thoughts)

This does indeed impact others, as I have already stated. I was impacted by the non-luggage being stored in the luggage room when several members of luggage services, a manager, and I could not find a very distinctive suitcase which had been dropped off a short time earlier.

It does impact me because as I indicated earlier, I have paid legitimate package holding fees for CSR to hold a box of documents. The more water, fridges, strollers, coffee makers, toasters, etc WDW resorts are asked to hold, the more labour required, and the costs will go up for all of us.

And how here is my suggestion. There is a wonderful service called www.ownerslocker.com. The owner is an amazing person who provides very personalized service. Why doesn't the swap purchase the service for a year and buy a mini fridge which will fit inside the locker, and use that service to store the item?

That to me would be a reasonable solution for all involved, and I can assure you that the company's attention to detail would ensure that there would not be missing items in future.

Problem solved for everyone - swappers, other guests, and WDW.

bavaria
09-07-2008, 10:03 AM

Your use of hyperbole I find offensive to those who do live, work and deal with true war zones. The drama here and the choice of language is not appropriate to the situation. Perhaps I am more concious of the choice of vocabulary as English is not my first language, but to call this thread a 'war zone' I consider inappropriate.

This is a discussion board, and we are having an active discussion. I would think that on a public board all members are welcome to participate in threads so long as they are respectful to one another (even though they may not agree), but I may be wrong.

thelionqueen
09-07-2008, 10:06 AM
I agree with almost every other poster. Unfortunately OP, you cannot control what people post on the DIS, that's what makes it, well..the DIS:cool1:
You will find that people have strong opinions on here and sometimes like to "morally arrest" anyone who have a different way of doing things, again, just the DIS.
Personally, I do whatever I can to save money in my life, including at Disney, and a fridge swap is a big money saver, and more imoportantly, a good idea in my HUMBLE and I'm sure going to be debated opinion.:lmao:

I have never fridge swapped before, but am doing so on our next trip; we'll see how it goes. If it's a huge hassle, then, yeah, I'll rent the fridge or use a cooler, no biggie. But if it can save me nearly $100 with little effort, and I can help another DISer out, I'm going for it!

To other posters who think prices will go up because us "swappers" are creating so much extra work and headache to the resort, and other guests are "suffering" because room is being taken up in luggage services, I just have to laugh. There are way too many examples I could give of "guest service" that Disney provides that go far and above this every day.

Disney prides themselves on guest service and rightfully so. I send a huge box down before my trip with our costumes, pins, and pool toys; is that wrong for them to hold that until I arrive? It is taking up space in the luggage area, and its not luggage. I also use that box to ship down the items we buy and other "extras" when we leave. Is that wrong for them to offer and provide shipping services for that box, which is held in luggage services and is not luggage.

Is my box of pins and costumes any less or more important that someone elses luggage?

If someone is transferring their medical equipment from resort to resort and allowing Disney Concierge to do that for them, well, is just not well thought out IMO. And if they do allow Disney to transport it for them, they are putting their property into someone else's hands, which we all do when we leave it with bell services.

Is their medical equipment more important than my pins? To them I'm sure it is, to me, it certainly isn't, to Disney, they have to treat each item the same.

So tell me, how would you instruct Disney to do business? I'm sure we could all offer some fantastic ideas to them, but the bottom line is, they make their own; not us. If they are so overwhelmed with holding fridges, strollers, coffee pots, etc., they will do something about it, it not, why does anyone care?

If they misplace your bag, it's because they misplaced it! Not because someone else's property was in your way. I'm sorry, that just seemed like a very elitest comment, no flame intended.

I could go on and on responding to other comments, but will refrain. Not trying to flame, just find the "moral policing" a bit much at times albeit entertaining...lol

Now, back to OP. Thank you for checking on this directly with the resort. Unfortunately a PP is totally correct, you can speak to a CM one minute and get a totally different answer from another one minute later. I do however, think that with the "chain of command" type response you got, it sounds reasonable that it might actually be correct.:lmao:
:lmao:

I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped doing it though, especially if the 5-10 swaps grows in the future.

Gee, that wasn't OT was it??:lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

disneychrista
09-07-2008, 10:22 AM
WOW I find it so odd that a simple DISCUSSION on whether Disney should be responsible for members swaps has been seen as being a "war zone." I am an old dis-vetern from back in the day of the "debate board" now THOSE discussion could get very heated and turn into a war zone, which is why it no longer exists.

This was nothing more of fellow members discussing the topic (Fridge Swaps).

bavaria
09-07-2008, 10:24 AM
Just a question, since I'm curious...if you don't get a receipt from luggage claim service, how do you ever find the item again? I'm sure they have hundreds of items stored - how on earth would they find it if there's no numbering/receipt system to keep track of it? :confused:

I think that the reason why Disney may have decided to do this is because there is no one 'owner' to these swap items. If I leave a suitcase in storage for a few hours, I am the legitimate owner of that suitcase and its contents, and if WDW loses it, I may have a limited liability claim.

But if 50 people participate in a swap of an item, each member only 'owns' the item for the short period of time that they use it. I can see Disney wanting to absolve themselves of the liability of having to deal with 50 part time owners of an item, should it go missing.

The wording on claim checks, receipts, signage, etc in resorts is very carefully worded and approved by a legal department in order to minimize liability.

Calling on a Sunday morning and speaking with a front line cast member may or may not give the desired response. However, that CM may not realize that there is a legal liability issue behind the decisions which Disney makes, and ultimately what they advise may not be the actual procedure.

lisadr
09-07-2008, 10:25 AM
Are the PPs who so strongly pointed out that this is a public forum and people were allowed to express their opinions-what ever they were-actually chiding ParkersMomma for her word choice? Hmmmm I guess it's only OK when it's their opinion:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Interesting;)

nena
09-07-2008, 10:31 AM
The OP came to the dis to ask a question with the intent of getting helpful answers. Too many posters regardless if you think you were OT or not, were just NOT HELPFUL!!

lisadr, It sounds like you were able to get your own answers. Good luck with the SWAP!!:thumbsup2

bavaria
09-07-2008, 10:33 AM
I have no issues with the use of reasoned language to make a point, but I do find the use of hyperbole, sarcasm, mocking emoticons, etc weaken an argument.

I am interested in discussing the cost and liability issues of these items and the swaps in general, and I think that the majority of posters are doing so in a respectful fashion, even when they do not agree with each other.

(I am only posting this in response to another post from the OP, lest I be charged with going off topic)

thelionqueen
09-07-2008, 10:40 AM
popcorn::

janloz
09-07-2008, 10:43 AM

Here's what she said:

Lisa,

Thanks for calling and checking. I organize one of the swaps and saw the same posting that you originally posted and was also concerned just didn't get a chance to call yesterday and wasn't on DIS yesterday to see your original post. I will add your VERY helpful info above to my list as well. From the very beginning of our swap, I have always asked my swappers to tip the LS CMs very well since they desire it. I will ask my swappers to check with HK now instead. So far, our swap has had 24 swappers for a total of about 130 nights which has saved DIS people about $1500 over what POP would charge for a much smaller fridge. For now, we will continue on and hopefully the swaps will continue to save some money for those who participate.

As far as POP putting fridges in all the rooms, don't hold your breath. I read that during the remodel of the CBR rooms, they are removing the fridges.

Again, Lisa thank you.

faindrops27
09-07-2008, 10:45 AM
What is the point, for going on and on about this people? Lisa, found out the info she needed. What else is there to say? Why do we disfriends. Get snarky, bicker, and get down right ugly with each other. To me, this is just unecessary. I thought we were supposed to be a happy community.

stitchlovestink
09-07-2008, 10:57 AM
I know that I am not 'permitted' to reply, but since my original post was partially quoted and this post is in reference to that post, I will. (although yet again it would appear that kaytieeldr has already voiced my thoughts)

This does indeed impact others, as I have already stated. I was impacted by the non-luggage being stored in the luggage room when several members of luggage services, a manager, and I could not find a very distinctive suitcase which had been dropped off a short time earlier.

It does impact me because as I indicated earlier, I have paid legitimate package holding fees for CSR to hold a box of documents. The more water, fridges, strollers, coffee makers, toasters, etc WDW resorts are asked to hold, the more labour required, and the costs will go up for all of us.

And how here is my suggestion. There is a wonderful service called www.ownerslocker.com. The owner is an amazing person who provides very personalized service. Why doesn't the swap purchase the service for a year and buy a mini fridge which will fit inside the locker, and use that service to store the item?

That to me would be a reasonable solution for all involved, and I can assure you that the company's attention to detail would ensure that there would not be missing items in future.

Problem solved for everyone - swappers, other guests, and WDW.

so you want bell services to be limited to luggage since a CM couldn't find your suitcase because they didn't in actuality 'look hard enough' as they didn't move things to find that it was underneath/behind something else? :confused3 Okay, my friend left for the World this morning. When her DH & DS packed the luggage in the car, they forgot to put in the seat to her ECV. I called and made arrangements for a rental ECV (off site as she will need it at the resorts too). She lands at MCO around 11am. The rental co said they will have it to her hotel by 12 noon or earlier. So say they drop it off at Bell Services for hold until she arrives. Should bell services not take it, since it is not luggage. Give me a break people. I think this is more about a few CM's maybe not being so thorough looking for something in the storage room. Just maybe.... ;)

I agree with almost every other poster. Unfortunately OP, you cannot control what people post on the DIS, that's what makes it, well..the DIS:cool1:
You will find that people have strong opinions on here and sometimes like to "morally arrest" anyone who have a different way of doing things, again, just the DIS.
Personally, I do whatever I can to save money in my life, including at Disney, and a fridge swap is a big money saver, and more imoportantly, a good idea in my HUMBLE and I'm sure going to be debated opinion.:lmao:

I have never fridge swapped before, but am doing so on our next trip; we'll see how it goes. If it's a huge hassle, then, yeah, I'll rent the fridge or use a cooler, no biggie. But if it can save me nearly $100 with little effort, and I can help another DISer out, I'm going for it!

To other posters who think prices will go up because us "swappers" are creating so much extra work and headache to the resort, and other guests are "suffering" because room is being taken up in luggage services, I just have to laugh. There are way too many examples I could give of "guest service" that Disney provides that go far and above this every day.

Disney prides themselves on guest service and rightfully so. I send a huge box down before my trip with our costumes, pins, and pool toys; is that wrong for them to hold that until I arrive? It is taking up space in the luggage area, and its not luggage. I also use that box to ship down the items we buy and other "extras" when we leave. Is that wrong for them to offer and provide shipping services for that box, which is held in luggage services and is not luggage.

Is my box of pins and costumes any less or more important that someone elses luggage?

If someone is transferring their medical equipment from resort to resort and allowing Disney Concierge to do that for them, well, is just not well thought out IMO. And if they do allow Disney to transport it for them, they are putting their property into someone else's hands, which we all do when we leave it with bell services.

Is their medical equipment more important than my pins? To them I'm sure it is, to me, it certainly isn't, to Disney, they have to treat each item the same.

So tell me, how would you instruct Disney to do business? I'm sure we could all offer some fantastic ideas to them, but the bottom line is, they make their own; not us. If they are so overwhelmed with holding fridges, strollers, coffee pots, etc., they will do something about it, it not, why does anyone care?

If they misplace your bag, it's because they misplaced it! Not because someone else's property was in your way. I'm sorry, that just seemed like a very elitest comment, no flame intended.

I could go on and on responding to other comments, but will refrain. Not trying to flame, just find the "moral policing" a bit much at times albeit entertaining...lol

Now, back to OP. Thank you for checking on this directly with the resort. Unfortunately a PP is totally correct, you can speak to a CM one minute and get a totally different answer from another one minute later. I do however, think that with the "chain of command" type response you got, it sounds reasonable that it might actually be correct.:lmao:
:lmao:

I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped doing it though, especially if the 5-10 swaps grows in the future.

Gee, that wasn't OT was it??:lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

Well stated :thumbsup2

maxiesmom
09-07-2008, 11:03 AM
And here I thought the 2 threads going about sneaking over age kids into the parks for nothing were vicious.popcorn::

Maybe we all need to realize that whatever we do does affect others. Whether intentionally or not. If there have been cases where peoples luggage has been lost because of all of the other things Disney is being forced to hang on to (fridges, coffee pots, strollers) then yeah, I can see being a little peeved if it was my luggage that was lost. And the fact that those items are only there to get around giving Disney some money makes it even more silly. You are making more work for Disney, because you don't want to purchase a service from them. Kind of ironic, isn't it.

Maybe Disney should start changing $10 a day to hold onto refridgerators. Then it would make more sense just to rent the darn things and be done with it. Then the baggage handlers can get back to handling baggage.

And unlike Bavaria, I really don't care if you think this post is off topic. But I think if you put your thoughts out there on a public forum, you ought to be ready for what the public is gonna say.

aribelle
09-07-2008, 11:12 AM
THANK YOU!THANK YOU! THANK YOU! For seeing the reason for this post. I never meant for it to become a debate about the validity of swaps-simply trying to regroup if needed, so that people who are depending on and have contributed to this don't get left out in the cold.

Thanks again:)

Interesting question....just what DO the swap leaders intend to do if the management decides to "poof" and make all the fridges disappear. I'm assuming that as leader you're the one that has collected people's money ....will those people be getting a refund or are they out their money and their planned fridge? I often wonder how that worked for all these lost fridges. If it were me, I think I'd be requesting my money back since you weren't able to fulfill your obligation. Or what if it's not a matter of "poof" but management saying after October 1 no more fridges in storage....what happens to the people who are arriving October 2? Will they get a refund? I sure hope so, because it was not their fault that you sold them services that are no longer available.

I always thought it amazing that Disney allowed this...yeah, the first few swaps they may not have realized what was going on, but there are a couple dozen swaps on this board alone, and there are other swaps on other boards I frequent....there must be 50+ fridges in every resort. WAYYYY before this Disney should have said no....we rent them and make money so while we may not stop people bringing in their own cooler and using the ice to keep things cold, we're not going to be a storage facility for something that takes away money from our coffers. That would kinda be like me buying Mickey Ears at the discount store and asking Disney to store them while I sell them in the parking lot! :lmao:

BUT....that said, the fact is that Disney has allowed this for a long long time, at least two years I've been seeing these, though the numbers are much greater now....so I don't think it would be right of Disney to just suddenly poof and have an empty storeroom. BUT....I could see DIsney starting to put their own little notice on the fridges that come X date they won't be stored. I can imagine that the "poof" method would only enrage those involved in the swap (and for the reasons I just said, I think they have a right to be pretty upset if Disney doesn't give any notice so you can collect your things)...and Disney is NOT in the habit of enraging it's guests. Besides, there may be a legal question here....does Disney have hte right to dispose of a guests property without notice?

aribelle
09-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Hotel options

1. Marriott Courtyard Lake Buena Vista. Two room suite with kitchette... $89 a night
2. Disney value $99.

Yep, or how about another choice.....a 2 bedroom, 1300+ square foot condo for around $60 a night??

I've long been on record as not understanding the hype of staying onsite....we stay twice as long instead...and because we have all that extra space we still are a happy family when we leave. If I had to be in 350sq feet with ANYONE for a week I wouldn't be much on the happy side. And remember I spend 24/7/365 with my kids because I homeschool....so it's not "gotta get away from the kids" issue. It's I need "me" time that the bathroom doesn't provide sufficiently, lol.

bavaria
09-07-2008, 11:19 AM
does Disney have hte right to dispose of a guests property without notice?

I live in hotels about 300 days/year, as do many very frequent travellers. Some people come back to the same hotel over and over and over again, and thus store their luggage or golf clubs or other items in the bell storage area every weekend. Generally however they work out an agreement with the hotel in advance, which covers liability should something happen. I know someone who kept their golf clubs stored for over 3 years at a hotel, retrieving them regularly, but there was an agreement in place about what would happen if the clubs went missing, or there was a fire, or the hotel changed ownership, etc.

In fact, the owner of www.ownerslocker.com (which I suggested earlier in this thread as an alternative) actually used to do that in Europe, and it was the brainchild of his business because he had such a need himself.

What I do foresee happening if Disney did decide not to store items, is that they would advise that 'owners' had X number of days to retrieve the item; after that date it would be sent to Lost and Found, and the owner would have Y number of days to claim it before it was disposed of. (L&F items are not kept indefinitely by hotels)

That would give the 'owner' sufficient time to retrieve the item, or to arrange for its shipment back to the owner's home, at their cost. The problem here however is that they may have no way to contact the 'owner' other than as you suggested; by leaving a note on the item.

ConnieB
09-07-2008, 11:24 AM
for each others swaps...

Isn't there a service where they pick up your stuff and keep it until your next visit months from now? Or is that just for the DVC folks? It's sometimes advertised here on the DIS??

Maybe what you need to do is find someone who lives very near to DIsney who has an empty garage, a pick up and wants to make a few bucks. Pay him the $5 each way to transport these things back and forth...if there are 20 swaps going it seems like an hour or so work and you could make $100. Not sure if it would work logistically since people arrive at various times, but maybe the delivery could be "you want your fridge be at the parking lot at 5pm" or something.

bavaria
09-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Isn't there a service where they pick up your stuff and keep it until your next visit months from now? Or is that just for the DVC folks? It's sometimes advertised here on the DIS??

www.ownerslocker.com - I've suggested it a few times. It is a lifesaver for me and as I have said, excellent service! :)

JDVM the owner is a member here, and yes, you are correct that they offer specials for readers. It is not just for DVC owners, and not just for onsite guests.

CarolA
09-07-2008, 11:34 AM
Yep, or how about another choice.....a 2 bedroom, 1300+ square foot condo for around $60 a night??

Sounds good, but most condo owners don't really want to do a 2 or 3 night rental (can't blame them, it's a hassle to clean up etc for that short stay revenue!)

englishrose47
09-07-2008, 11:41 AM
I 'veread enough negative comments!! but am glad that Pop has given us swappers the go ahead. Whoever made th comment that it frees up fridges for those who need them medically is an excellent one !Without the swaps Pop could well not have one available and pardon me if someone also made this comment doesn't Pop have to store there fridges . Maybe all swap fridges could be stored with them!! Just a thought!! When threadset nasty Mods close them soooo please let's keep this friendly. I would defend anybodies right to there oppinion whether it is the same as mine or not please give me the same courteousy!!

thelionqueen
09-07-2008, 11:47 AM
I really hope the MOD's dont close this thread it is very interesting. Although there are many differing opinions, I think all the replies are well thought out and engaging.

I just have to reply to a PP re: Disney offering a service that they don't make money on:lmao:

I'm going to be as diplomatic and polite as I possibly can here. Disney makes money on everything they do, period! They charge quite a large sum of money for absolutely everything they do, have and sell. I would never dream of "stealing" or trying to manipulate anyone or any company for that matter for the sake of a few dollars.

Disney can charge what they do because people expect ONE thing above and beyond any other company, and that is GUEST SERVICE! Disney holds itself to that standard and so do their guests.

Holding someone's belongings, personal, luggage or otherwise is a service they provide that is included in every other cost they charge involved with staying at a Disney resort.

Just do what you want, think what you want, and let everyone do what works best for them. Disney is ok with it, at least for now, and that's good enough for me!:thumbsup2

kath1210
09-07-2008, 11:49 AM

kath1210
09-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Interesting question....just what DO the swap leaders intend to do if the management decides to "poof" and make all the fridges disappear. I'm assuming that as leader you're the one that has collected people's money ....will those people be getting a refund or are they out their money and their planned fridge? I often wonder how that worked for all these lost fridges. If it were me, I think I'd be requesting my money back since you weren't able to fulfill your obligation. Or what if it's not a matter of "poof" but management saying after October 1 no more fridges in storage....what happens to the people who are arriving October 2? Will they get a refund? I sure hope so, because it was not their fault that you sold them services that are no longer available.

First, most fridge swaps do not charge anything at all, once enough people have contributed enough to buy the fridge, or a replacement fridge. Second, nothing is "sold" to anyone. Third, I believe that all of the fridge swaps include the following disclaimer, or something like it:

In any kind of online swap, you're putting your trust in a person you really don't know, and there's always the possibility that you'll end up disappointed. I will not be held responsible if someone "does you wrong" or even if unforeseen circumstances prevent an honest person from keeping his or her end of the deal. You may want to get a cell phone number of the person who is supposed to leave ithe fridge for you in case the item gets lost or mismarked. If you take the fridge to storage, always get the claim number from the person before you this will help locate the fridge.

aribelle
09-07-2008, 12:28 PM
First, most fridge swaps do not charge anything at all, once enough people have contributed enough to buy the fridge, or a replacement fridge. Second, nothing is "sold" to anyone. Third, I believe that all of the fridge swaps include the following disclaimer, or something like it:

In any kind of online swap, you're putting your trust in a person you really don't know, and there's always the possibility that you'll end up disappointed. I will not be held responsible if someone "does you wrong" or even if unforeseen circumstances prevent an honest person from keeping his or her end of the deal. You may want to get a cell phone number of the person who is supposed to leave ithe fridge for you in case the item gets lost or mismarked. If you take the fridge to storage, always get the claim number from the person before you this will help locate the fridge.

Well....OPs swap which is linked in her signature does charge....and does not have your language. And since she's already taken money she can't really change the rules without permission or agreement from those she's already charged. So my curiosity still stands, what does SHE as leader plan to do if the CM she spoke with is wrong and the swaps do stop. Since another person stated that a manager said they will stop, we're back to the "she said he said" that is so common of CMs. Since she's gotten the CM that told her what she wants to hear is she done pursuing the issue. Just curious.

CarolA
09-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Disney can charge what they do because people expect ONE thing above and beyond any other company, and that is GUEST SERVICE! Disney holds itself to that standard and so do their guests.

Holding someone's belongings, personal, luggage or otherwise is a service they provide that is included in every other cost they charge involved with staying at a Disney resort.

Just do what you want, think what you want, and let everyone do what works best for them. Disney is ok with it, at least for now, and that's good enough for me!:thumbsup2

While we are REALLY off topic now....

Sadly while I agree Disney is WORLD class in Theme Parks... One of the reasons the Disney "Deluxe" hotels get three star ratings, sub par "GUEST SERVICE" when compared to other resorts charging the same prices etc. Disneys hotel service is not at all "above" others.

Most hotels hold luggage, deliver packages etc. These are BASICS not "above and beyond"

Disney actually holds itself to a lower standard in hotel management then most of the major hotel chains. It comes up consistently here. For the same price as the Fairfield Inns in the Marriott Village you can stay at the Values. A comparison of services

Internet Disney- Charge Fairfield - Free
Breakfast Disney - Charge Fairfield - Free
Selection of TV networks Disney- Very limited Fairfield -often the entire cable network
Pay per view movies Disney - No Fairfield -Yes
Refrigerator Disney- Charge Fairfield - Free
Microwave in room Disney - NA Fairfield-Free
Exterior coorridors Disney- Yes Fairfield - No
Hairdryer automatically in room Disney - No Fairfield- Yes
Reward program for staying often Disney -No Fairfield - Yes (And there is a theory on the resorts board that Disney actually "penalizes" frequent guest by NOT sending them PINS etc...)

Transport to Disney from local Fairfield Free. Transport to parks from Values Free (Granted Disney's is probably better)

Transport to hotel from airport Disney - Free Fairfield No use Mears.

Themeing Disney wins. NO contest

Service...stayed at both. Both have good basic service. Check in is generally faster at the Fairfield!

So with Disney you are paying for location and "theme" NOT for an outstanding hotel.

And the differences become MORE pronounced the higher up the Disney price points you go.

Will I stay at values... sure, but I go in with my eyes wide open. I do not believe that "just because it's Disney it's better" I travel a lot and sadly I believe it's the exact opposite. Once you get past theme, things are lacking!

Now, I don't really blame Disney. The hotels are FULL, why should they upgrade? Others do it to bring in customers. Disney has all the customers it seems to need.

aka-mad4themouse
09-07-2008, 01:31 PM
I really hope the MOD's dont close this thread it is very interesting. Although there are many differing opinions, I think all the replies are well thought out and engaging.

As long as the discussion remains civil, there's no reason to discontinue it. Y'all have been very cordial in presenting your POVs.

msmayor
09-07-2008, 01:49 PM
I think the one thing that distinguishes leaving a fridge in storage versus having items other than luggage in storage (water/grocery deliveries, other packages shipped by guests) is that with these other things there is generally a clear and definite way to establish your ownership of the items.

A receipt from UPS with tracking information to demonstrate that a box of items was delivered to Pop handed to a CM by its owner proves that the item was indeed delivered and needs to be found. It would seem that with the fridges, there is no such proof. While I know some have been able to have receipts provided to them, it doesn't appear that the "new" or "next" swapper has the physical receipt in their hands when they go to collect the fridge; only the numbers or basic information on the receipt. That's just not enough information to prove beyond a shadow of doubt that the fridge was in fact handed in, and actually belongs to the person now standing before the CM waiting to collect it.

When the organizer is then contacted about the now-missing fridge, he or she isn't physically present at luggage services to help clear up the problem. The physical condition of the box it is in may not be fully known..."Well, it had stickers like this and that and had large orange letters" is a good description, but what if the previous swapper changed the box in any way, or the box got destroyed and is now gone? Much like the kids' game of "Telephone", the longer the line of folks who need to pass on information the more chance it morphs into something completely different than when it started.

Please don't take this as a knock on the swaps...its just inherently a difficult thing to manage long-distance without help.

Someone mentioned the Owner's Locker. That may be a much better way to manage the movement and storage of the swaps. If the fridge can be swapped face-to-face, then great. Otherwise, make some arrangement with Owner's Locker to pick up and store the fridge and then return it when the next swapper needs it. Will it end up costing more? Yes...but it will probably still be cheaper in the long run than renting a fridge daily from Disney. It would be up to each swap to decide how that extra cost would need to be handled.

cocowum
09-07-2008, 02:07 PM

I completely agree with this! :thumbsup2

Some posters just constantly spew negativity! :sad2: How miserable are you, that you feel the need to stir the pot on a Disney chat board? :sad2:

Anyway, we just participated in our 1st fridge swap. We did a face to face swap upon arrival but had to use luggage services and leave it for the next swapper. I called luggage services and she wasn't happy. :headache: but the young man who came to pick it up was very pleasant. :goodvibes He gave me a claim ticket and I gave him a nice tip. The next swapper had no problem picking it up. :goodvibes This was on 9/2. :thumbsup2 Just thought I'd share our recent experience. :goodvibes:

lisadr
09-07-2008, 02:30 PM
I completely agree with this! :thumbsup2

Some posters just constantly spew negativity! :sad2: How miserable are you, that you feel the need to stir the pot on a Disney chat board? :sad2:

Anyway, we just participated in our 1st fridge swap. We did a face to face swap upon arrival but had to use luggage services and leave it for the next swapper. I called luggage services and she wasn't happy. :headache: but the young man who came to pick it up was very pleasant. :goodvibes He gave me a claim ticket and I gave him a nice tip. The next swapper had no problem picking it up. :goodvibes This was on 9/2. :thumbsup2 Just thought I'd share our recent experience. :goodvibes:

Thank you for letting me now how you experience with the swap went. I think that taking care of the CMs goes a long way keeping us in the good graces of Pop;)

bavaria
09-07-2008, 02:33 PM
As long as the discussion remains civil, there's no reason to discontinue it. Y'all have been very cordial in presenting your POVs.

Thank you - believe it or not, some of us are truly interested in this subject. Hopefully Carol and I can also give some 'front line' insight based on our lives in hotels

Is the name calling really necessary when we were having a reasoned discussion? So some of us have different opinions, or can share some insight on this subject. How does that make us miserable? I'm not emotionally involved in this subject, hence I cannot be miserable.

Nor does sharing factual information mean that I am 'spewing negativity'.

Just because people have differing opinions does not make us wrong. I think that I have been respectful of the varying opinions over the years, and would hope that I can continue to share my own opinion, even when it may differ from some.

lisadr
09-07-2008, 02:51 PM
To EVERYONE:

I just wanted to say that when I started this thread, I was honestly just looking for some info. I had an idea that if I opened it to peoples opinions on swaps, it would turn into a debate-and it has-to put it mildly.

If in my post requesting others to not post if they were simply posting opinions as to the validity/correctness of swaps, I offended you I am sorry. It's not that I was trying to control the thread because I don't want people to voice their opinions, I simply wanted to make it a nice simple thread where swappers could brainstorm and discuss ways to better manage the swaps. But instead a person has to sift through tons of irrelevant (to the thread) opinions. Not that you are not entitled to your opinion-it's just wasted here. Swappers don't care if you like them or not, if you think they are right, etc. Again-not being rude-just saying.

I do though believe that as it was posted, the old debate thread should be brought back, because some people really live for a good fight. WHY else would you come onto a swap thread and post anti-swap posts?Why else try and goad swappers into a fight? And you can say you are not doing it-but we all know you are. But in reading some of the PPs other posts on other threads, it just seems to be your nature:confused3

Yes it is a public form. But I am in a public place having a conversation with someone and you walk up and butt in, with nothing useful to add to the original conversation-YES you do have the right to do that-it is a free country-but it is also bad manners. And maybe that is the issue-not whether it is your right, but whether is it the right thing to do.

I was almost going to ask a MOD to close this post, but apparently some people really need this thread-so have at it.

Let the flamin' begin-lol

TIGGER'SFRIEND
09-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Well....OPs swap which is linked in her signature does charge....and does not have your language. And since she's already taken money she can't really change the rules without permission or agreement from those she's already charged. So my curiosity still stands, what does SHE as leader plan to do if the CM she spoke with is wrong and the swaps do stop. Since another person stated that a manager said they will stop, we're back to the "she said he said" that is so common of CMs. Since she's gotten the CM that told her what she wants to hear is she done pursuing the issue. Just curious.

As an original member of OP's swap I would not expect her to return anything to me if the swap was ended--that's the chance you take--

maxiesmom
09-07-2008, 03:02 PM
To EVERYONE:

I just wanted to say that when I started this thread, I was honestly just looking for some info. I had an idea that if I opened it to peoples opinions on swaps, it would turn into a debate-and it has-to put it mildly.

If in my post requesting others to not post if they were simply posting opinions as to the validity/correctness of swaps, I offended you I am sorry. It's not that I was trying to control the thread because I don't want people to voice their opinions, I simply wanted to make it a nice simple thread where swappers could brainstorm and discuss ways to better manage the swaps. But instead a person has to sift through tons of irrelevant (to the thread) opinions. Not that you are not entitled to your opinion-it's just wasted here. Swappers don't care if you like them or not, if you think they are right, etc. Again-not being rude-just saying.

I do though believe that as it was posted, the old debate thread should be brought back, because some people really live for a good fight. WHY else would you come onto a swap thread and post anti-swap posts?Why else try and goad swappers into a fight? And you can say you are not doing it-but we all know you are. But in reading some of the PPs other posts on other threads, it just seems to be your nature:confused3

Yes it is a public form. But I am in a public place having a conversation with someone and you walk up and butt in, with nothing useful to add to the original conversation-YES you do have the right to do that-it is a free country-but it is also bad manners. And maybe that is the issue-not whether it is your right, but whether is it the right thing to do.

I was almost going to ask a MOD to close this post, but apparently some people really need this thread-so have at it.

Well, I don't think this post is an example of good manners, either.

When you post on a public forum, there is no "butting in". It is out there for everyone to see, and to comment on. And as your original post was on how the Pop may be not allowing fridge swaps, some of us wanted to point out the reasons why they might feel the need to do so. So it was all relevent.

kadesha
09-07-2008, 03:04 PM
To whoever asked about getting a refund when/if the fridge is lost:

You only pay to use the fridge until it's paid for, after that, it's free.

I wasn't one that had to pay in the fridge swap that I'm involved in. However, I did pay in the stroller swap that I'm involved in. If something happens to that stroller, it's not the leader's fault, so I would not expect her to give me my money back, nor would I be angry. Giving $15 is a chance I'm taking to save $180+ on stroller useage. Most people involved in the swaps have read the rules and understand them. How can the leader be blamed if the fridge is lost or the stroller is stolen in the park?

disneychrista
09-07-2008, 03:13 PM
I simply wanted to make it a nice simple thread where swappers could brainstorm and discuss ways to better manage the swaps.

I gave my idea (opinion) on how to make the swaps work better limit it to face to face swaps. If this can not be done then my idea (opinon) is to find an alternate means of storing the fridge.

msmayor
09-07-2008, 03:13 PM

You only pay to use the fridge until it's paid for, after that, it's free.

I wasn't one that had to pay in the fridge swap that I'm involved in. However, I did pay in the stroller swap that I'm involved in. If something happens to that stroller, it's not the leader's fault, so I would not expect her to give me my money back, nor would I be angry. Giving $15 is a chance I'm taking to save $180+ on stroller useage. Most people involved in the swaps have read the rules and understand them. How can the leader be blamed if the fridge is lost or the stroller is stolen in the park?

Actually, one of the swap threads I saw had folks continuing to pay in for 'replacement' stuff...so it seems that in some cases its more than just paying for the fridge until its paid for.

To EVERYONE:

lisadr, I don't think I've read much in the way of "anti-swap" posts. What I have read is a smattering of opinions on why swaps can be difficult to manage, along with some commentary on what individual swappers can do themselves to keep Disney OUT of the mix. Perhaps I missed a post here or there, but I don't recall seeing anyone make a blanket statement that the swaps are bad or illegal or anything else...just that they can be cumbersome and confusing for Disney's Luggage Service to help manage.

Looking for a solution that involves the assistance and cooperation of Disney is admirable but experience and outcome has shown time and time again that their assistance and cooperation cannot and should not be depended on.

lisadr
09-07-2008, 03:22 PM
I gave my idea (opinion) on how to make the swaps work better limit it to face to face swaps. If this can not be done then my idea (opinon) is to find an alternate means of storing the fridge.

If i missed you idea, I am sorry. It's just that there have been so many posts that were not helpful-I am overwhelmed and having trouble finding info that is helpful. Also to be honest if the post starts to sound like it's going in a certain direction or if I recognize certain posters-I kinda just "glaze" over them-not important to me:confused3

kadesha
09-07-2008, 03:22 PM
Actually, one of the swap threads I saw had folks continuing to pay in for 'replacement' stuff...so it seems that in some cases its more than just paying for the fridge until its paid for.

As long as they agree to it and understand the rules then that's their prerogative. It's still cheaper than paying daily rental fees. I think most people involved in swaps understand that something *could* happen to their fridge or stroller at any time. I read a thread yesterday in which the fridge had become lost and several people were just "out" of their money. No one was upset, it's just a chance you take.

maxiesmom
09-07-2008, 03:30 PM
If i missed you idea, I am sorry. It's just that there have been so many posts that were not helpful-I am overwhelmed and having trouble finding info that is helpful. Also to be honest if the post starts to sound like it's going in a certain direction or if I recognize certain posters-I kinda just "glaze" over them-not important to me:confused3

I really don't mean this to be rude, so please don't take it wrong. But if you are only looking for input from swap leaders, or swap members, maybe you should PM them or have them PM you? That way you would get the answers and input you want with a minimun of fuss. You really can't control what the rest of us say or comment on on these boards, so continuing to try and do so is only going to be frustrating for everyone.

bavaria
09-07-2008, 03:33 PM

As did I - I suggested using Owners Locker as the 'middle man' rather than Disney luggage services.

I did also explain why Disney is no longer issuing receipts for items such as these, in an effort to better explain to the OP the why of her issue.

I think that many of us have tried to be helpful, and have made suggestions as well as explained facts, and frankly it is a little disappointing to be painted with such a broad brush as a potstirrer or miserable or negative.

Most of us do genuinely have a desire to help and share information, and I am sorry if the OP cannot see that for whatever reason. (Hopefully her eyes did not 'glaze' over this post) :)

lisadr
09-07-2008, 03:34 PM
"Actually, one of the swap threads I saw had folks continuing to pay in for 'replacement' stuff...so it seems that in some cases its more than just paying for the fridge until its paid for."

Just to clarify, our swap we continue to take the $ and put it into an account. When there is enough money in the fund to replace the items, we then start "refunding" the original cost, so actually it's free for everybody. It may take awhile to get your refund, the swap needs to fill up, but I, nor do any other swap leaders own or make $ on the swap. If you read the sticky on swaps you will see-it is not allowed to make a profit off Dis boards and I have no interest it it.

I really just volunteered to lead a swap to help others save a little $. Before I joined/started a swap I had planned on buying my own fridge and leaving it behind. I just felt that wasteful and kind rude to leave Disney to dispose of my junk. Then I read about swaps and it sounds like a great idea to me.

I do feel that a lot of posters indeed do have a negative opinion toward swaps. I would mistake them for liking swaps-lol.

I guess we have to agree to disagree.

kadesha
09-07-2008, 03:37 PM
As did I - I suggested using Owners Locker as the 'middle man' rather than Disney luggage services.

I did also explain why Disney is no longer issuing receipts for items such as these, in an effort to better explain to the OP the why of her issue.

I think that many of us have tried to be helpful, and have made suggestions as well as explained facts, and frankly it is a little disappointing to be painted with such a broad brush as a potstirrer or miserable or negative.

Most of us do genuinely have a desire to help and share information, and I am sorry if the OP cannot see that for whatever reason. (Hopefully her eyes did not 'glaze' over this post) :)

There have been some great recommendations. The Owners Locker that you have mentioned several times is a good suggestion. There are also some snarky negative responses. Hopefully everyone can get back on track soon, surely there isn't much else to say about this that hasn't already been said! :)

lisadr
09-07-2008, 03:57 PM
I really don't mean this to be rude, so please don't take it wrong. But if you are only looking for input from swap leaders, or swap members, maybe you should PM them or have them PM you? That way you would get the answers and input you want with a minimun of fuss. You really can't control what the rest of us say or comment on on these boards, so continuing to try and do so is only going to be frustrating for everyone.

I totally get what you are saying. I guess I was just naive in thinking I could simply ask people to not turn the thread into a debate.

The only reason I did not PM in the beginning is that with limited space in the mailbox, and I wanted to leave that space open for swap PMs and Fairy Godmother requests. In posting in the budget board threads, I figured I would be in contact with a lot more swappers then contacting each one. And not just Pop swappers either.

I am not trying to control anyone, just requesting certain info.

parkers*momma
09-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Simce it has been stated repeatedly that opinions are fine, here's mine:

When you post on a public forum, there is no "butting in". It is out there for everyone to see, and to comment on. And as your original post was on how the Pop may be not allowing fridge swaps, some of us wanted to point out the reasons why they might feel the need to do so. So it was all relevent.

You have the question partially right, Lisa was asking for help. She wasn't asking for a bunch of reasons WHY swaps should be banned/stopped. SHE WAS SEEKING INFORMATION on a remedy incase it was halted. Instead, the thread was bombarded with opinions that wasn't any help to her or other swappers...just opinions on why it should be stopped...how is that helpful???

Good Manners might have been "I don't agree with swapping because I feel it is taking advantage of CMs, but since you asked for help...here is an Idea. AND offer a solution to help out those who chose to participate in swaps.

How are the reasons why they should quite holding fridges relevent to the OPs question or what swappers are going to do, IF THEY ARE STOPPED? I personally don't see any relevence...the question asked was WHAT TO DO if they were stopped not why they should be stopped or why WDW feels they should be stopped.

How can (using your words) "point out the reasons why they (disney) might feel the need to do so (ban/stop swaps)" actually have helped the original poster in her quest to find a solution if it became a policy?

Lisa may have been firm i requesting the thread stick to solutions but as I said before...She has alot involved and was quite worried. Not for herself, not for WDW, but for her fellow swappers.

I won't even go into the return of money, insight, etc.....sometimes it would just be really pleasant to open a thread that is asking for definitive help and see helpful solutions to the problem posted then to get opinions on why it is wrong/unjust/etc.. Especially when the original poster is clearing asking for HELP.

But since this has become what it has become...have fun with it. I've got packing to do, making connections with previous and post swappers for the fridge and stroller swaps, and many lil things to do so I can leave.

And I do hope LISADR does ask for this thread to be closed. The appearance of this thread is not in any way benefical to DIS nor very pleasant for a newbie to stroll upon in their first visit to DIS. Another opinion here, but I really don't think DIS wasn't to be known for what this thread has become.

Have fun, play as nicely as DIS possible, and remember it's ok to disagree, just do it tactfully.

crashbb
09-07-2008, 04:14 PM

You are seriously comparing eavesdropping and budding into a private conversation (albeit in public place) to adding a comment on a public, multi-user message board?

How can (using your words) "point out the reasons why they (disney) might feel the need to do so (ban/stop swaps)" actually have helped the original poster in her quest to find a solution if it became a policy?

Knowing why Disney is stopping (or might stop) swaps is a great way to know what needs to be done to keep them going. If one knows the issues that need to be addressed then one can address them - otherwise one is spinning wheels possibly coming up with solutions for non-existent problems.

bavaria
09-07-2008, 04:20 PM
I do feel that a lot of posters indeed do have a negative opinion toward swaps. I would mistake them for liking swaps-lol.

You know what lisadr? Even though you may be making assumptions about me and other posters, let me tell you something quite interesting...

Many many years ago (look at my join date - I was around before the great crash in fact), I purchased a very inexpensive coffeemaker (about $8 if I recall) while in Orlando (I am there quite often for work as well as holiday)

Being very concious of waste and recycling, I offered it up here to anyone who would like it ie those staying in a resort which had no coffeemaker (all moderates and values at the time, I believe) I recall offering it up on a number of threads, on a number of boards, even though back in those days there were very few boards on this website. It took many days and many offers before someone finally agreed to take it off my hands. I ended up driving to their resort to hand it over, and even included a few freebie items and a pack of coffee with the coffee maker.

In fact, I may hold the claim for starting the very first appliance swap on this website many many years ago - a coffeemaker which I did not want to leave for Lost and Found or the trash, but chose to offer it up to a stranger instead.

I have nothing inherently against sharing items.

kaytieeldr
09-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Is their medical equipment more important than my pins? To them I'm sure it is, to me, it certainly isn't, to Disney, they have to treat each item the same. :sad2:
Since you asked - yes, their medical equipment IS more important than your pins. Losing your pins won't kill you, and having them misplaced won't require a trip to the emergency room.

You only pay to use the fridge until it's paid for, after that, it's free. Usually, yes - but there are a couple of swaps that charge (or charged, I don't know if those specific ones are still active) sort of a "handling" fee, for the organizer's time and continued involvement.

The appearance of this thread is not in any way benefical to DIS nor very pleasant for a newbie to stroll upon in their first visit to DIS. Another opinion here, but I really don't think DIS wasn't to be known for what this thread has become. Is that really how you're seeing this thread? This has been just about the most polite, most lucid, least 'attacking' thread I've ever seen on the DIS in which opinions differ!!!

And here I thought the 2 threads going about sneaking over age kids into the parks for nothing were vicious What? Where? And you're just mentioning it NOW? The links, please, maxiesmom!!!! ;)

lisadr
09-07-2008, 04:42 PM
I have asked a MOD to close this thread. I say why debate? It's not worth it.

If the Mod feels it is the right thing to do then this will be closed and that it that. If not I will rename this post "THE GREAT SWAP DEBATE" and abandon it. I don not want to debate swaps-I spend enough time running one.

To all best wishes, good luck, and may you Disney vacation be Magical:wizard:

Very Truly Yours,

sk!mom
09-07-2008, 04:47 PM
It seemed so simple, ask a question get an answer. :confused3

You are totally right ParkersMomma-a war zone. And for what? You have to wonder what there is to gain from making a stand against swaps??:confused:

I appreciate your support;)

A war zone???? Are you guys serious!?:confused3

Reflect on what that term brings to mind and then really consider if a few people disagreeing or posting what the OP considered off topic and decide if that is a huge overstatement- to me it is.

Call me crazy but I like it when a thread generates a lot of discussion.

msmayor
09-07-2008, 04:50 PM

If the Mod feels it is the right thing to do then this will be closed and that it that. If not I will rename this post "THE GREAT SWAP DEBATE" and abandon it. I don not want to debate swaps-I spend enough time running one.

Very Truly Yours,

I'm very sorry you view it that way, lisadr. I agree with katieeldr that this has been one of the most polite discussions I've seen despite differing opinions and thoughts. I think its wonderful that everyone is agreeing to disagree and respecting each other's viewpoints.

nbodyhome
09-07-2008, 04:53 PM
I agree with the below statement. When I stayed in Anaheim for 2 weeks recently, I paid $82 for the Residence Inn by Marriott (a really GREAT rate). Free hot breakfast, kitchen with fridge/microwave/stove, free wireless internet, free parking.

Disneyland hotels would have been upwards of $200+ per night, no breakfast, no microwave, possibly a mini-fridge, and no free wireless or parking.

My walk to the parks took about 10 minutes.

It bothers me most that WDW doesn't have wireless - let alone free wireless. I think that will eventually happen, like it did with fridges (in mods and deluxes) and trundles at POR.

While we are REALLY off topic now....

Sadly while I agree Disney is WORLD class in Theme Parks... One of the reasons the Disney "Deluxe" hotels get three star ratings, sub par "GUEST SERVICE" when compared to other resorts charging the same prices etc. Disneys hotel service is not at all "above" others.

Most hotels hold luggage, deliver packages etc. These are BASICS not "above and beyond"

Disney actually holds itself to a lower standard in hotel management then most of the major hotel chains. It comes up consistently here. For the same price as the Fairfield Inns in the Marriott Village you can stay at the Values. A comparison of services

Internet Disney- Charge Fairfield - Free
Breakfast Disney - Charge Fairfield - Free
Selection of TV networks Disney- Very limited Fairfield -often the entire cable network
Pay per view movies Disney - No Fairfield -Yes
Refrigerator Disney- Charge Fairfield - Free
Microwave in room Disney - NA Fairfield-Free
Exterior coorridors Disney- Yes Fairfield - No
Hairdryer automatically in room Disney - No Fairfield- Yes
Reward program for staying often Disney -No Fairfield - Yes (And there is a theory on the resorts board that Disney actually "penalizes" frequent guest by NOT sending them PINS etc...)

Transport to Disney from local Fairfield Free. Transport to parks from Values Free (Granted Disney's is probably better)

Transport to hotel from airport Disney - Free Fairfield No use Mears.

Themeing Disney wins. NO contest

Service...stayed at both. Both have good basic service. Check in is generally faster at the Fairfield!

So with Disney you are paying for location and "theme" NOT for an outstanding hotel.

And the differences become MORE pronounced the higher up the Disney price points you go.

Will I stay at values... sure, but I go in with my eyes wide open. I do not believe that "just because it's Disney it's better" I travel a lot and sadly I believe it's the exact opposite. Once you get past theme, things are lacking!

Now, I don't really blame Disney. The hotels are FULL, why should they upgrade? Others do it to bring in customers. Disney has all the customers it seems to need.

lntsmom
09-07-2008, 05:19 PM
the exchange I was in on had fridges lost constantly. Others here made pointed remarks about those of us who didn't get a receipt, etc...when, in fact, the luggage people were unwilling to offer one.

It seemed more than coincidental that the fridge for our swap was lost once and misplaced between almost every exchange. The box was discarded, the information about the next user was discarded....

To me that all added up to Disney doing it's darnest to stop swaps without declaring publicly that they wouldn't store fridge's.

They're all about the money...why should they be willing to help people save $70????

CarolA
09-07-2008, 05:24 PM

Very Truly Yours,

OK folks if she gets her way... Somebody open a new thread.
This is one of the reasons I object to allowing threads to be closed. This thread has not been a bashing negative thread, but because the OP doesn't LIKE the posts then she wants it closed?

There is NOTHING on this thread that is bad... You want bad start a thread on ANY of the following

1. Pool hopping
2. "My child is four but small, do I HAVE to buy him a ticket?"
3. "Can I put six people in my room for four at Pop?"
4. How long are refillable mugs good for?
5. Can I stay after the MK closes and just crash the MNSHHP (Or Christmas Party or Pirates and Pricesses?)

Lisa, when you start a thread you don't have to moderate it? I often just walk away from threads... it's not a personal thing, I don't know 99.9% of the people on the DIS... So I don't always agree with them? I am not inviting them to my house!!! I am just posting messages!

lisadr
09-07-2008, 05:29 PM
OK folks if she gets her way... Somebody open a new thread.
This is one of the reasons I object to allowing threads to be closed. This thread has not been a bashing negative thread, but because the OP doesn't LIKE the posts then she wants it closed?

There is NOTHING on this thread that is bad... You want bad start a thread on ANY of the following

1. Pool hopping
2. "My child is four but small, do I HAVE to buy him a ticket?"
3. "Can I put six people in my room for four at Pop?"
4. How long are refillable mugs good for?
5. Can I stay after the MK closes and just crash the MNSHHP (Or Christmas Party or Pirates and Pricesses?)

Lisa, when you start a thread you don't have to moderate it? I often just walk away from threads... it's not a personal thing, I don't know 99.9% of the people on the DIS... So I don't always agree with them? I am not inviting them to my house!!! I am just posting messages!

Dear CarolA,

I am walking away. How about this? I will change the name and and if the MOD sees fit to keep it open-then so be it. I don't want to close something so many people like. It's no biggie. Changing the name right now.......

thelionqueen
09-07-2008, 05:43 PM
:sad2:
Since you asked - yes, their medical equipment IS more important than your pins. Losing your pins won't kill you, and having them misplaced won't require a trip to the emergency room.

YES if they were lost it WOULD require a hospital room visit; obviously you don't know how much I've spent on our pins:lmao: :rotfl2:

Seriously though, since you brought it up, I wouldn't let anyone transfer my pins from resort to resort for me, as they are only safe when I am transporting them.

And, since you brought it up, the point that was being made, is that, no matter what the item is EVERY ITEM needs to be safeguarded, protected and held for every guest. An no other item (that is in luggage services) is more or less important that another.

If I had medically lifesaving equipment that I needed to live, you can be darn sure it wouldn't be in luggage services.

kaytieeldr
09-07-2008, 05:57 PM
I think its wonderful that everyone is agreeing to disagree and respecting each other's viewpoints. That's it! I was drawing a blank on the word 'respectful'! Thanks, msmayor!

And I disagree there is any debate going on in this thread. We're having a discussion. It's not even heated, the way some can get when participants don't agree. This is about the most respectful thread I've ever read with varying opinions!

thelionqueen
09-07-2008, 06:01 PM
Then perhaps Katie we can refrain from using icons such as this :sad2:

kaytieeldr
09-07-2008, 06:04 PM
Yep - as soon as people stop thinking pins are more valuable than life ;)

maxiesmom
09-07-2008, 06:08 PM
Then perhaps Katie we can refrain from using icons such as this :sad2:

Wow, what is the deal with censorship on this thread? First we are only supposed to post if we fit a certain criteria, and now we have to refrain from using certain smilies? Did everyone take their bossy pill today? Can't we all just agree that we have different viewpoints, and not try to tell each other what we can and can't post?

The mods here do a pretty darn good job. Relax and let them do it.

CarolA
09-07-2008, 06:10 PM
YES if they were lost it WOULD require a hospital room visit; obviously you don't know how much I've spent on our pins:lmao: :rotfl2:

Seriously though, since you brought it up, I wouldn't let anyone transfer my pins from resort to resort for me, as they are only safe when I am transporting them.

And, since you brought it up, the point that was being made, is that, no matter what the item is EVERY ITEM needs to be safeguarded, protected and held for every guest. An no other item (that is in luggage services) is more or less important that another.

If I had medically lifesaving equipment that I needed to live, you can be darn sure it wouldn't be in luggage services.

Well that's an theory. I guess guests should just hang around the lobby all day waiting on a room rather then give their equipment to luggage services because the storeage space is full of refrigerators...;)

Lots of this type of equipment is too big to go to the parks with you. I think it's not irresponsible to give it to Disney to hold. But you are welcome to spend a day of your vacation babysitting your pins and equipment! Me I would give my equipment to luggage services. (I got over pins a long time ago. I now just give them away to get rid of them!)

I also think it's probably LESS likely to be "lost" then a fridge. Let's say I give it to them a 9 am and pick it up at 4. It's probably still near the "front" of the storeage.

If I give you my fridge on 10/1 and no one picks it up until 10/31 it's probably been moved 20 times as the "reorganize" etc. And the truth is that they probably think "it's lost why bother worrying about it" I mean it's been sitting there forever! (Granted most swaps only leave things a day or two, but I did do some looking and there are some LONG delays)

CarolA
09-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Wow, what is the deal with censorship on this thread? First we are only supposed to post if we fit a certain criteria, and now we have to refrain from using certain smilies? Did everyone take their bossy pill today? Can't we all just agree that we have different viewpoints, and not try to tell each other what we can and can't post?

Wheres the applause little guy!

Good post. :yay: :cheer2:

disneychrista
09-07-2008, 06:45 PM
The new title is a little misleading, anyone want to be the one to TURN this into a debate? ;)

thelionqueen
09-07-2008, 06:54 PM
It seems as if ideas and words are being lost and/or mixed up. To clarify my position, Katie stated that "This is about the most respectful thread I've ever read with varying opinions." Respectful, in my book, is not rolling your eyes over another posters comments, it has nothing to do with sensorship.

Secondly, I stated previously (way previously) that I had a huge box that INCLUDED my pins SHIPPED to the resort for them to hold until my arrival. When I get there, I take my box.

Thirdly, when an example is given by way of a comparison, it in no way means that I think material items are more important for life, for heavens sake. People, pay attention. When you see a ROFL, that means its a joke!

Let's all try to keep a sense of humor.:laughing:

kaytieeldr
09-07-2008, 07:16 PM
It seems as if ideas and words are being lost and/or mixed up. To clarify my position, Katie stated that "This is about the most respectful thread I've ever read with varying opinions." Respectful, in my book, is not rolling your eyes over another posters comments, it has nothing to do with sensorship.
PLEASE recheck that smiley. It is "SAD2", shaking his head and looking disappointed, aka, well, sad. Yeah, I just double-checked myself, and sure enough, I originally and again here post :sad2:

This :rolleyes1 and this :rolleyes: and :rolleyes2 are eye-rolling smilies.

I do not now and never did think your comments were deserving of rolled eyes. I did, and do, feel your statement, your comparison, is sad. And so the smiley I chose and which you quoted, signifies that.

thelionqueen
09-07-2008, 08:36 PM
PLEASE recheck that smiley. It is "SAD2", shaking his head and looking disappointed, aka, well, sad. Yeah, I just double-checked myself, and sure enough, I originally and again here post :sad2:

I do not now and never did think your comments were deserving of rolled eyes. I did, and do, feel your statement, your comparison, is sad. And so the smiley I chose and which you quoted, signifies that.

Wow, thanks for the clarification I now know my smilie designations. I will do my best to read what each smilie means rather than just throw a dangerous one out again. :lmao: Is this one lauging my *** off?? Just making sure.:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Just for the future flamers, I'm kidding, its a joke. I would use a smilie but don't want to be attacked...hehe

kadesha
09-07-2008, 08:41 PM
This has turned ridiculious!

aprilgail2
09-07-2008, 08:43 PM
The new title is a little misleading, anyone want to be the one to TURN this into a debate? ;)

I think its funny that the OP had a temper tantrum stomped her feet, took her ball and went home when she couldn't get people to do or act like she wanted to and then she turns around and to make it even more childish she changes the title of the thread:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl:

BostonRob
09-07-2008, 08:44 PM

For whatever its worth, I find a lot of smileys offensive. The disbards have rules that I try to follow. No personal attack, no sarcasm, stuff like that. It seems to me that a lot of people use smiley's to get around those rule - the rolliing the eyes smiley, the rolling on the floor laughing smileys, the sad shaking the head smiley - when people respond to me with those smileys, I often feel attacked. Maybe its just me, but I would think that if I feel that way, other people do too.

Here is an example:

Are the PPs who so strongly pointed out that this is a public forum and people were allowed to express their opinions-what ever they were-actually chiding ParkersMomma for her word choice? Hmmmm I guess it's only OK when it's their opinion:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Interesting;)

Just my two cents.

bavaria
09-07-2008, 09:07 PM

well, to be fair, this :rolleyes1 may be called 'rolleyes1' but it really is 'innocent'

HOWEVER

to get back to the topic of fridges and storage and what may happen in future and constructive advice, etc....

Disney has never been great at package handling. I said that I travel about 300 days a year; I ship packages worldwide to myself every week or two and do most of my shopping online. I am the queen of boxes and deliveries.

I have the worst track record with Disney; they have lost at least temporarily or turned away at least 60 percent of my deliveries, I would estimate (the majority of those are for work, and many were at the convention resorts, which actually have a package handling department) The worst I recall was when they shipped a box of my dirty laundry (which housekeeping had accidentally removed from my room) and it took two months to reach me back at WDW as they had mishandled it. Two month old dirty laundry does not smell nice!

My suggestion is to always add the day of arrival AND confirmation number to any label for any item being held in bell storage. This really helps them to trace who the package is for, and to determine if the package is 'left' ie if the guest has come and gone.

kaytieeldr
09-07-2008, 11:47 PM
Wow, thanks for the clarification I now know my smilie designations. I will do my best to read what each smilie means rather than just throw a dangerous one out again. Doesn't sarcasm refute the previous respectful tone of this thread? I was accused of rolling my eyes at an earlier statement; I did not (anyone doubting this statement can go back and see that the post in which I originally used the "sad2" smiley has not been edited), and I chose to clarify the emoticon I used.

kaytieeldr
09-07-2008, 11:52 PM
Wow, thanks for the clarification I now know my smilie designations. I will do my best to read what each smilie means rather than just throw a dangerous one out again. I can see your point - but in the post in question, I really WAS sad that anybody would feel that Disney pins are more important than medical equipment. Rather than try to express my severe disappointment at that time, and risk any type of DIS reprimand, I chose to use an emoticon provided by (and so I would think acceptable to) the DIS Administrators.

disneymom3
09-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Hmm..... I went with the Marriott. Disney wasn't providing the value, service etc. However, I am not in the majority on here, they would have gone Pop because "it's Disney and it's got themeing etc" I rent a car either way so transports not really an issue.

As long as they keep the rooms full, they aren't adding things! They don't need to. Hotels add things to get guests to come, not because they love us! (They don't, they love our money!)
This is what baffles me when people gripe about Disney prices. Especially the whole "My family of 5 has to stay in a Deluxe thing" before the Value suites were an option. I have a family of 5. I very happily stay offsite in a two bedroom condo, with nice grounds, a living room and a REAL refridgerator. If you don't like the price for the amenties, vote with your wallet and stay somewhere else! It really is not that hard to drive to the parks folks!

Now that is a funny statement/question. You need that as a tag. I might have to start using it on my kids.

Oh and the new title did work--piqued my interest anyway.

thelionqueen
09-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Doesn't sarcasm refute the previous respectful tone of this thread? I was accused of rolling my eyes at an earlier statement; I did not (anyone doubting this statement can go back and see that the post in which I originally used the "sad2" smiley has not been edited), and I chose to clarify the emoticon I used.
To try to put this as simply as I possibly can, it was to be humorous as stated several posts before and now. I am not being sarcastic, it really is to be laughable. OK, I'm done clarifying:thumbsup2
For anyone who may still be even remotely interested (I know I'm not) the comments I posted were done in humor, not to inflict pain or 10 replies to an OT post:)

CarolA
09-08-2008, 04:11 PM

:

If I could FIND the rolling eye smilie I would insert him here. (FOUND HIM::rolleyes1 )

This is bizarre!

:scared1: :rolleyes1

Here's a hint... it's also not respectful to tell other what they can and can't say or post. You may not LIKE it, but as has been pointed out it's a PUBLIC message board. If you don't like a thread just don't open it....Don't attempt to "lecture" people on posting rules 101 according to thelionking. What you are saying in effect is that "only post that meet my standards are right" UH... NO!

thelionqueen
09-08-2008, 07:36 PM
If I could FIND the rolling eye smilie I would insert him here. (FOUND HIM::rolleyes1 )

This is bizarre!

:scared1: :rolleyes1

Here's a hint... it's also not respectful to tell other what they can and can't say or post. You may not LIKE it, but as has been pointed out it's a PUBLIC message board. If you don't like a thread just don't open it....Don't attempt to "lecture" people on posting rules 101 according to thelionking. What you are saying in effect is that "only post that meet my standards are right" UH... NO!
This will be my final post on this thread as I feel like Im running around in circles. If you're referring to my posts, would you please tell me where I told someone not to post something?

A poster insulted a comment I made, which was meant to be humorous and then commented that I was being disrespectful. MY reply, to that comment, was that if respectful was an issue, that poster might want to refrain from using insultive smilies.

Never did I TELL or INSTRUCT anyone to not do something, that is not something I would ever do. I merely SUGGESTED that if they wanted to keep the word THEY used, which was respect, that the smilie the poster used was disrespectful.

However, I'm fairly certain, that this will be taken out of context again, which is the reason I'm just going to let it go.

I love reading posted comments,. whether or not I agree with them, makes no differnece to me. But I did not EVER intend to try to censor anyone nor try to make them "conform" to my opinion, and I don't appreciate the implication that I did so.

Here's a hint as well, maybe take the time to read and understand something before accusing anyone of anything. It shows that no degree of detail was used at all in reference to my comments, as my name isn't even correct.

maxiesmom
09-08-2008, 07:43 PM
A poster insulted a comment I made, which was meant to be humorous and then commented that I was being disrespectful. MY reply, to that comment, was that if respectful was an issue, that poster might want to refrain from using insultive smilies.

Never did I TELL or INSTRUCT anyone to not do something, that is not something I would ever do. I merely SUGGESTED that if they wanted to keep the word THEY used, which was respect, that the smilie the poster used was disrespectful.

Your "suggestion" came across as telling someone what to do. Even if that wasn't your intention, that is how it came across to me.

Anyone want overs or unders on when this one get shut down? If it is not within the next 10 seconds? I say, under 4. Anyone?

thelionqueen
09-08-2008, 07:48 PM
One can only hope! As far as it came across to you and others, that was not my intent; for that I apologize. I cannot also assume the outcome of everyone's opinion that reads it. Again, not my intent. Countdown begins.

BostonRob
09-08-2008, 08:02 PM
One can only hope! As far as it came across to you and others, that was not my intent; for that I apologize. I cannot also assume the outcome of everyone's opinion that reads it. Again, not my intent. Countdown begins.

Well if you're stepping out, I'll jump in, because you're completely right. These insulting smileys are a problem because THEY ARE INSULTS. Telling somebody not to insult you on a board that forbids personal attacks is clearly different from telling somebody not to post on a public board.

The person who said "don't post your opinions here because that's not what I want in my thread" was advocating a kind of censorship; he/she was trying to tell people what they could and could not post. The person who posts with insulting smiles is violating the spirit of the rules, if not the rules themselves, and should be called out for it.

Mermaid_Ariel
09-08-2008, 08:33 PM
I could use some cake right about now.

englishrose47
09-08-2008, 08:38 PM
I could use some cake right about now.

Me too!~:thumbsup2

lisadr
09-10-2008, 08:24 AM

lisadr
09-10-2008, 08:25 AM
Mistaken post

disneychrista
09-10-2008, 09:17 AM

Mistaken post

LOL Almost like you just couldn't see this die....

aribelle
09-10-2008, 02:30 PM

:confused3 What'd she say, she erased it before I saw. This has been an interested thread to follow. popcorn::

disneychrista
09-10-2008, 02:42 PM
:confused3 What'd she say, she erased it before I saw. This has been an interested thread to follow. popcorn::
Just there have been no posts for 2 days and then all of a sudden she "accidently" posts to it? Which bumps it up for others to see/read... just seemed a little suspicious to me that's all.

thelionqueen
09-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Well if you're stepping out, I'll jump in, because you're completely right. These insulting smileys are a problem because THEY ARE INSULTS. Telling somebody not to insult you on a board that forbids personal attacks is clearly different from telling somebody not to post on a public board.

The person who said "don't post your opinions here because that's not what I want in my thread" was advocating a kind of censorship; he/she was trying to tell people what they could and could not post. The person who posts with insulting smiles is violating the spirit of the rules, if not the rules themselves, and should be called out for it.

Thanks for the comment, it is exactly what I meant and appreciate you stepping out:thumbsup2

So, any new news on fridge swaps being discontinued?:flower3:

lisadr
09-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the comment, it is exactly what I meant and appreciate you stepping out:thumbsup2

So, any new news on fridge swaps being discontinued?:flower3:

No news other than the answer I got from Pop the other day.

CarolA
09-10-2008, 09:24 PM

Hmm...

The post before this was your LAST post on this thread?????

As for the fridge swaps.....

My bets on Disney just continuing to "lose" the fridges when they get left for any length of time..... It's becoming apparent from thier refusal to give claim checks to thier lack of concern when one is lost that they don't really feel like they want to be involved, but they don't want to "pull the plug" based on the information the OP got so.....

thelionqueen
09-12-2008, 10:29 AM
I apologize for changing my mind, and therefore reading this thread; Looks like I offended yet again.

Actually I am still very interested in the information about the fridge swaps, and decided to see if any more information came out.

Did not mean to insult anyone by my unauthorized posting, however it seems that comments directed at me are fair game. I think its still OK to read and post to whatever thread on the DIS you choose, correct me if I'm wrong. (choosing not to include all caps, excessive punctuation or smilies)

englishrose47
09-12-2008, 08:23 PM
Personally besides still wanting some cake !!:rotfl2: I want to see the Swaps continue cuz it can save me money! I don't think Disney resorts should be responsible for lost fridges they are doing us a free service by storing them.I also think they may see the advantage of them freeing up their rental ones. Disneymakes plenty of money off us and I think this is just a little courtesy they provide . Now if you have a different opinion that's fine , we all have them and I won't knock you for yours and just do the same .I refuse to sink to sarcasm over this in fact I respect every bodies right to their oppinion . Now please let's keep this Nice and on track!!:hug: