PDA

View Full Version : Budget maternity clothes

pixiechick77
09-06-2008, 11:50 AM
I am trying not to spend a lot of money on maternity clothes and wondering if anyone knows of some good places to look. I have looked on Old Navy and Motherhood and Maternity. Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks!

Maggimus
09-06-2008, 11:55 AM
I am trying not to spend a lot of money on maternity clothes and wondering if anyone knows of some good places to look. I have looked on Old Navy and Motherhood and Maternity. Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks!

Try TJ Maxx & Ross..

wlwilliams9
09-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Liz Lange for Target! I found some really cute stuff at Target. I also likes Old Navy.

figaromeetsmarie
09-06-2008, 12:00 PM
I came across these pants:
http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/clearance/shoes/juniorsshoes/PRD~321299/Oh+Baby+by+Motherhood+Underbelly+Sailor+Twill+Crop +Pants.jsp

Oh Baby by Motherhood™ Underbelly Sailor Twill Crop Pants

original $40.00
now $8.00

figaromeetsmarie
09-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Here is another pair I found:
http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/clearance/shoes/juniorsshoes/PRD~321273/Oh+Baby+by+Motherhood+MidBelly+Basic+Denim+Crop+Pa nts.jsp

Oh Baby by Motherhood™ Mid-Belly Basic Denim Crop Pants

original $40.00
now $8.00

figaromeetsmarie
09-06-2008, 12:05 PM
Here is a contest you can enter
http://www.maternityandstyle.com/giveaway/

Disneyfan1977
09-06-2008, 12:06 PM
ok...don't think I'm weird but have you tried your local thrift store. I always see tons of maternity stuff there and most of it is in perfect condition.

I shop there all the time for my own clothes. I find they have tons of jeans (regular...not maternity as I am NOT pregnant) I wear a short length and have a hard time finding them normally but at the thrift store they seem to have a good selection.....

I also buy my kids clothes there. At first my DH didn't like the idea but now that he sees all the good stuff I get, he's completely on board.

Good Luck in your search!

HelenePA
09-06-2008, 12:49 PM
ebay ebay ebay... I found a great seller of gap, old navy maternity clothes and got awesome deals!! All were NEW WITH TAGS!! For about 12 items with shipping I paid about 35$ I am ashamed to say I still have some upstairs with tags on.. I think I over bought this time around! bhexpress is the seller on ebay I got them from!

fakereadhed
09-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Try JCpenney's maternity section for clearance. For my last pregnancy(and I DO mean my LAST :rotfl2: )I found some really cute tops, black pants, and a black jacket for $6.97ea. I also bought one pair of maternity jeans from the Gap that fit really well that I wore almost every day for $39. I think one great pair of jeans that don't make you feel like a whale are priceless!

Syrreal
09-06-2008, 12:53 PM
If there is a gap outlet near you, you can usually get lots of nice stuff for way cheap.

dougsmom98
09-06-2008, 04:43 PM
My favorite maternity stuff was from Target. I can't buy regular clothes at Target because they never fit me properly, but their maternity stuff was great. I was able to get several pair of pants both casual and work pants that made me feel good about how I looked. I passed them on to a friend and she wore them all the time too.

bucket o' butter
09-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Definitely try your local resale shops. Maternity clothes are so expensive and you only wear them for a few months. You can find almost brand new name brand maternity clothes at resale shops. Our local children's resale shop sells maternity clothes, so check the children's ones as well. I found most of my maternity clothes are resale shops and then I resold them back and made more than half of my money back. Good luck!

srdipert
09-06-2008, 05:01 PM
I sell maternity clothes on eBay (I hope that it is okay for me to say that here). Mostly Gap and ON. Right now I don't have anything listed b/c I just had a lot to sale but ebay is a great place to start.

HelenePA
09-06-2008, 06:03 PM
Try JCpenney's maternity section for clearance. For my last pregnancy(and I DO mean my LAST :rotfl2: )I found some really cute tops, black pants, and a black jacket for $6.97ea. I also bought one pair of maternity jeans from the Gap that fit really well that I wore almost every day for $39. I think one great pair of jeans that don't make you feel like a whale are priceless!

Oh I have a JCPenney outlet store near me I got an awesome pair of jeans there for 3.97$!! They are SOOOOOO comfy!!! :yay:

Our 2 Princesses
09-06-2008, 07:55 PM

I was at Penney's today and they had a big rack of maternity clothes green-tagged really cheap. :)

Dr.Girlfriend
09-06-2008, 08:15 PM
I plan on selling my maternity clothes on eBay very shortly (no, I'm not advertising) simply because a) I'll need some $$$ while on maternity leave and b) it will motivate me to lose the baby weight ;)

Coll0610
09-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Check the classifieds in your local paper and Craigslist. Lots of people want to get rid of their maternity stuff.

Inigo
09-07-2008, 12:15 AM
Another suggestion would be to buy clothes for larger-sized women. Depending on your body style and the cut of the clothing, you might find some dresses and shirts that would work for you while pregnant.

Many years ago, I wore some of my husband's shirts for the middle months of pregnancy.

HelenePA
09-07-2008, 12:19 AM
Another suggestion would be to buy clothes for larger-sized women. Depending on your body style and the cut of the clothing, you might find some dresses and shirts that would work for you while pregnant.

Many years ago, I wore some of my husband's shirts for the middle months of pregnancy.

I wouldn't suggest this. The cut between "large" clothing and Maternity is very different. You'd just look like you gained weight and not having a baby.. I tried this with my first. Plus maternity pants are SOOOOO comfy!!! gotta love those panels for your tummy. They might be ugly as sin but ahhhhh good for the ever expanding tummy!

megthewonderful
09-07-2008, 04:55 AM
Try your local consignment shop. My local consignment shop is very picky about what they will sell for you. Their clothes are in great quality and at a reasonable price.

Otherwise, try Ebay or Target. Both usually have great deals on maternity clothes.

MrsPete
09-07-2008, 07:02 AM
Thanks!Admittedly, it's been 15 years since I bought maternity clothes, but I found a HUGE selection at consignment stores and yard sales -- and they were very inexpensive. I had a nice selection of clothes that I enjoyed, and they didn't break the bank. Since these things are used for such a short period of time and many people want to get rid of them when they're "done", the available things are usually in good condition.

MrsPete
09-07-2008, 07:06 AM
I wouldn't suggest this. The cut between "large" clothing and Maternity is very different. You'd just look like you gained weight and not having a baby.. I tried this with my first. Plus maternity pants are SOOOOO comfy!!! gotta love those panels for your tummy. They might be ugly as sin but ahhhhh good for the ever expanding tummy!I agree and disagree with the "larger clothes" idea. When I was "barely pregnant" I bought two pair of decent-looking pants with elastic pants --they were one size up. They were very, very useful in those months when I wasn't really big enough yet to "fill up" maternity pants . . . and then I used them again immediately after birth when I wasn't back to my old size yet.

However, I totally agree that once your belly is really big, real maternity pants with the panel in front are the best thing ever. You'll look and feel better if you have some things that fit your expanding body well.

DopeysMommy
09-07-2008, 08:50 AM
I am going to also say ebay. I bought a lot of the higher end maternity stuff on there, and since I only wore them a few months, will resell them on there. I was also an ON/GAP/Kohl's shopper when I needed something fast.

Main thing with maternity is to try to buy things you like, and make you feel good. Buy ugly stuff just because it fits and you will feel gross. ESPECIALLY jeans.

aaronlisar
09-07-2008, 09:20 AM
If you have a Once a Upon a Child in your area I would try there. They are picky on what they buy from you to resell. I love going there to buy clothes for my three kids.

mombare
09-07-2008, 09:25 AM
All of my suggestions have already been posted here...Kohl's, Target, Old Navy, Motherhood, and best of all consignment. We were walking by Motherhood Maternity last night and saw they are going back to the "pouch" style pants and were proud of it. Honestly, I thought about looking at them because they just looked so comfortable!!! ;)
I would suggest finding several shirts and pants that make you feel good (and look good) - you might spend more money on those items, but when you are at the end and feeling like a whale, at least you will be happy with your clothes. Most women don't buy an entire wardrobe...my co-workers and I would wear the same stuff several times a week, and we all knew why! At home, I stuck to t-shirts, shorts and athletic-style pants that sat below the waist. They were comfy and it didn't really matter what I looked like there! Anyway, happy clothes shopping (and congratulations)! :banana:

Inigo
09-07-2008, 10:11 AM
I wouldn't suggest this. The cut between "large" clothing and Maternity is very different. You'd just look like you gained weight and not having a baby.. I tried this with my first. Plus maternity pants are SOOOOO comfy!!! gotta love those panels for your tummy. They might be ugly as sin but ahhhhh good for the ever expanding tummy!

That's why I said "Depending on your body style and the cut of the clothing." Some shirts for larger women look a lot like maternity tops, especially those that have the tie just under the breast. I think they call those "babydoll" style.

starwatcher
09-07-2008, 04:34 PM
I bought the large plus sizes t shirts and some mens jean shorts they work fine for me and my hubby is losing weight so he can wear these shorts when I am through with them. Also some walmarts have maternity clothes in the baby section and there is some disney prints also saw betty boop