PDA

View Full Version : Where do I find health-friendly marshmallows?

rluey29
09-04-2008, 08:57 PM
I have a peanut butter fudge recipe that I want to make, but I'd rather not have marshmallows or marshmallow creme with corn syrup or artificial ingredients. Does anyone know if there is such a thing and where I can get it?

Tinker'n'Fun
09-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Oh I can't help you but would love to know... I am a closet marshmallow addict! (Please don't tell my family, I couldn't handle the intervention:rotfl2:) Sometimes I go through a whole bag in a day and hide the wrapper in the trash.....

marlynnp
09-04-2008, 09:42 PM
You don't.
Even if you make them yourself, they have to have corn syrup.

crisi
09-04-2008, 09:48 PM
But not high fructose corn syrup - most just have ordinary "not good for you but not the food of Satan" corn syrup.

You can get organic marshmellows at my co-op - made with organic natural can sugar and organic natural corn syrup. Vegan too - made with vegan geletain.

mrs.beast
09-04-2008, 10:33 PM
Rubicon bakery, at our local whole foods (sf area) or you can order online. pricey but amazing. the best ever!!!!!! we adore them. also our whole foods makes their own which are ok, and trader joes makes an all natural vanilla one too that is pretty good. but if you want awesome, rubicon is the way to go. they are the crack of marshmallows.

pearlieq
09-05-2008, 12:26 AM
Hmm...

There's not a whole lot of wiggle room here. Marshmallows are made of sugar and gelatin. If you're trying to avoid HFCS you could find some with other sources of sugar, but other than that, it is what it is.

mlg1022
09-05-2008, 12:38 AM
I know some may say this is a little crazy, but that Elton guy on the food channel made his own marshmallows! It really wasn't a lot of work, I'm a horrible cook and I've made them with my daughters.

Check out the Food Network web site and search for the recipe.

Marjie

tink2dw
09-05-2008, 01:06 AM
Kate of, jon and kate plus 8, found organic marshmallow fluff, in the same type of jar as real fluff.

TiggerMomNine
09-05-2008, 01:22 AM
Here's the link to Alton Brown's homemade marshmallows!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/homemade-marshmallows-recipe/index.html

Good luck!

eatatmidnight
09-05-2008, 07:49 AM
I have purchased marshmallows at Whole Foods before, but I don't have a bag at home to check ingredients. Be prepared to pay if you buy them. I think they are $4.25 for an 8-10 ounce bag.

crisi
09-05-2008, 07:58 AM
marilyn is right though - they are sugar, corn syrup and geletain - even if you buy organic ones or make them at home. However, I checked the cheap ones in my basement and they are corn syrup, not HFCS. There isn't anything healthy about something that is almost all sugar and corn syrup.

(Homemade ones are really GOOD though - they are a pain to make).

CherylA
09-05-2008, 10:33 AM
So glad to find this thread I've been dying to make my own marshmellows, I had them "homemade" from a candy store recently and they were amazing!:cloud9:

kileybeth
09-05-2008, 10:41 AM
I had to grin when I saw the title of this thread

healthy marshmellows? really? well okay then. I can feel okay eating sugar! who knew?!

more power to you if you actually make stuff like this from scratch! I make lots from scratch but a marshmellow? wow! :worship: that's devotion to health for sure!

no offense to those that do or must for allergy reasons, I do understand, it just cracked me.

BTW, there is a whole thread on here someplace about homemade marshmellows, a few days back I believe.

Green Tea
09-05-2008, 11:35 AM
I saw them somewhere recently. I think it was actually Resoration Hardware! The other option was Williams -Sonoma, which would make a lot more sense, but I think it was the first one.

wdw_dine_junkie
09-05-2008, 11:50 AM
I was just browsing the Amazon clearance site after reading the post and there was a Barefoot Contessa marshmallow mix for sale. But I didn't see any ingredients listed.

girli565
09-05-2008, 12:26 PM
There is an organic "fluff" available. I have bought it at my local market, Norman Bros, because they specialize in organic, locally grown stuff. But I think it is a national brand, it has a green top but looks just like the normal Fluff bottle.

bumbershoot
09-05-2008, 01:23 PM
I have a peanut butter fudge recipe that I want to make, but I'd rather not have marshmallows or marshmallow creme with corn syrup or artificial ingredients. Does anyone know if there is such a thing and where I can get it?

As vegetarians with 2/3 of the household who can't have corn syrup, I have found that gelatin and corn syrup are simply what marshmallows ARE.

But not high fructose corn syrup - most just have ordinary "not good for you but not the food of Satan" corn syrup.

You can get organic marshmellows at my co-op - made with organic natural can sugar and organic natural corn syrup. Vegan too - made with vegan geletain.

If your'e using light corn syrup, check the label. The Karo brand light corn syrup (not "lite" but light, as in not the dark ones) has HFCS in it. :headache:

What brand is at your co-op? You have NO idea how impossible that is to find, especially since the main brand of supposedly vegan gelatin that they were using in the vegan marshmallows was found to soooooo NOT be vegan at all.

Also, what co-op? And do they take phone orders? :) (I can eat corn syrup, just not hubby and DS)

crisi
09-05-2008, 02:00 PM
As vegetarians with 2/3 of the household who can't have corn syrup, I have found that gelatin and corn syrup are simply what marshmallows ARE.

If your'e using light corn syrup, check the label. The Karo brand light corn syrup (not "lite" but light, as in not the dark ones) has HFCS in it. :headache:

What brand is at your co-op? You have NO idea how impossible that is to find, especially since the main brand of supposedly vegan gelatin that they were using in the vegan marshmallows was found to soooooo NOT be vegan at all.

Also, what co-op? And do they take phone orders? :) (I can eat corn syrup, just not hubby and DS)

I shop at Mississippi Market and Seward Coop in Minnesota. No idea if they do phone orders, and I don't buy vegetarian marshmallows (not being vegetarian myself), so I don't know which brand - I have a vegetarian girlfriend who buys them though, so I know they are there - but they may, in fact, be the brand you are speaking of for all I know.

bumbershoot
09-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Thanks! I'll look and see if they have any sort of online presence. :)

LisaMCob
09-05-2008, 09:24 PM
Hi -
My son loves pb and "fluff" and I couldn't bring myself to buy the original kind with all the high fructose corn syrup. :eek: I have been buying Tiny Trapeze's Marshmallow Creme from my local Whole Foods (I have also seen at at Shaw's). The ingredients are rice syrup, organic evaporated cane juice, water, egg whites, barley, malt syrup, pure vanilla extract, xanthan gum, lactic acid and kosher salt.
It is really yummy!

disney1990
09-05-2008, 09:42 PM
I have purchased marshmallows at Whole Foods before, but I don't have a bag at home to check ingredients. Be prepared to pay if you buy them. I think they are $4.25 for an 8-10 ounce bag.

I love the marshmallows from Whole Foods. Sorry, I don't know the ingredients either. But, they are yummy!