PDA

View Full Version : Craziest present

wickywinn
09-04-2008, 02:58 PM
I'm the queen of budgeting, don't get me wrong. But some of the things I've received as gifts (it seems most come from step-something or other) are crazazy?

So what is the craziest thing you've ever received as a gift?

I think mine would be a sample tube of lotion for Xmas from the in-laws (stepmother does all the gifting). Yes, that was all. Also high on the list was the yellow resin Easter egg with pink stripes (think Dollar Tree) on a plastic stand....for Christmas. Or the box of "two" silver plated candlesticks that, when opened, had one tarnished candlestick and the rest of the box stuffed with toilet paper. :banana:

I'm a big believer in "it's the thought that counts" but sometimes it's hard to keep a straight face.

But, I tell ya, sometimes I think these presents are some of my favorites. We get a good chuckle out of it and know not to take it too personally. It is what it is and we're not going to change anyone. We don't allow it to change how we gift people. I enjoy buying presents that I think they will enjoy.

princessdaisy
09-04-2008, 03:03 PM
My friend gave me a sweater for Christmas...but it was the sweater that I forgot I left at her house a few months before! I guess she forgot it was mine and thought I might like it?;) :rotfl:

She honestly didn't know that it was mine and I just faked it and thanked for for such a beautiful sweater :D

hambirg
09-04-2008, 03:12 PM
These are funny!

One year I got a honey-do note holder. It was basically a piece of scrap wood painted on the top to look like a hammer, with a close pin hot glued to it and the words "honey-do list" written with a sharpie in your best 1st grader handwriting. Now if it was something my kids brought home from school, that would be cute. However, it was from my SIL. :confused:

princessdaisy
09-04-2008, 03:36 PM
written with a sharpie in your best 1st grader handwriting.

:rotfl: Oh, my gosh, I just spit up my coffee!! that is hilarious!!

Wow, that SIL is something else! I would be embarrased to give a family member something like that:laughing:

puffkin
09-04-2008, 03:37 PM
DH and I both got light up moose antlers for Christmas one year from his parents. They actually thought they were cool and that we would wear them all day......Not happening.

They alway waste money on these gag types of gifts and we never find them funny. Thankfully this year we decided to no longer exchange gifts!

natnelliesmom
09-04-2008, 03:57 PM
My MIL bought my DDs each a pair of handmade mittens that she picked up at a farmer's co-op. I guess they were alpaca fur. They were an ugly greyish brown with little green flecks in them.
My DD5 pulled them out of the gift bag and held them up- she pulled them on and started to laugh! The thumbs were almost twice as long as the finger part and were just flopping around. :rotfl:
Who the heck buys mittens with thumbs that are longer than the fingers??? It was so funny and my MIL just didn't get it!

She also got mad at me last year because I spent over $100 on a big basket of Bath and Body works relaxation products. She accused me of insinuating that she smelled by buying her "soaps". What the heck is that all about??? :confused3

I hate buying her gifts for anything.
-Sarah

TiggerTails57
09-04-2008, 04:46 PM
I got snow boots from my Dsil........a week before I was moving to Texas!! :lmao:

Darcy03231
09-04-2008, 05:04 PM
I got these really creepy plastic bunnies from SIL for my birthday one year.

kayla87
09-04-2008, 05:20 PM
One of my grandmas always gives crazy gifts that I don't think she realizes are crazy. The one that really sticks out in my mind is one of those rainbow colored umbrellas that attach to your head. My mom always jokes about making my dad wear it somewhere.

eeyorefan74
09-04-2008, 05:31 PM
My DH's grandmother is always giving "interesting" gifts. One year everyone got Furbies, one year a banana holder, and this past year, I got wrinkle cream. The best was the year one of his sisters got a computer desk, the other sister got Christmas china, and what did DH get? A notepad and pen set.

rluey29
09-04-2008, 05:33 PM
I received an old, rusty brass box about the size of a ring box for my birthday one year from a cousin. It looked like it had sat outside for 10 years. I just looked at it and was speechless. What do you say to something like that?

patsal
09-04-2008, 05:41 PM
My MIL gave me one burgundy towel one year:confused3 Doesn't match anything either so :confused3 Another year she gave me one of those little personal razor things--the one that didn't break the balloon on the commercial:confused3 I'm sure she means well, but really save your money, don't buy me anything it really won't bother me!
My parents like those really weird gag things too. I don't get it. My Mom once bought me a Moon plaque that when you press the butotn it sings "when the moon hits your eye" It is in the basement in the box next to the talking Christmas tree, and talking grinch. Think they'd get a clue when they don't see them around!

merekc
09-04-2008, 05:43 PM
My MIL likes to hit Dillards when they mark their clothes down to around $3. One year, right before Christmas my SIL and BIL split up. For Christmas, my DH got a bunch of shirts that had obviously been purchased for my BIL. There is about a 10 year age difference, and these shirts were 1) what was left over to be purchased at $3 and 2) had that trendy, young look like shirts that a teenager (or my BIL) would wear. Not my husband's style at all.

It was obvious they were bought for BIL. We went home and they went straight in the donate pile. The sad thing is this was the majority of DH's gifts from his parents. $12 worth of ugly shirts.

daughtersrus
09-04-2008, 05:43 PM
I would have to say that our worst gift was the singing/talking turkey head. Think Big Mouth Billy Bass but an animated turkey instead.

The funny part is that my MIL was in FL with her sister visiting their oldest sister and her family. They went to Cracker Barrel and both sisters from IL just had to have them for their grown kids. So, the two 60+yo women bought 7 (3 for our family and 4 for the cousins) and lugged all of the big boxes on the plane all the way back to IL. :laughing:

We all thought that it was a joke but she really liked them and got upset when we didn't show our appreciation. It must have been an age thing because my dad just thought that they were the greatest. He had me looking everywhere for one but when we couldn't find one, my SIL gave up hers with the understanding that her mother would never know.

MichelleinMaine
09-04-2008, 05:59 PM
We have a dear, dear family friend who will be 101 in October (and she's a firecracker!) Ever since I've known her, she's taken things around her house and wrapped them up. You never know what you are going to get from her- it's often times hillarious.

My favorite was one my SIL got from her- first Christmas in the family (I don't think they were even married yet.) It was a small box of Whitman's samplers. Some of the chocolates were gone. The papers were alls till there- she'd filled them with mini SNickers still in the wrappers and walnuts. SIL didn't even know what to say, it was just too funny!

We also threw her a surprise party when she was 90. She thought the party was for a neighbor's Sweet Sixteen. I picked her up to bring her to the hall and she confided to me she'd had no idea what to get a 16 year old girl. So she wrapped up a black plastic comb (the kind they give you at school pictures) in a piece of notebook paper for her. I was happy the party was really not for that girl to have her get that as a gift! :)

On the flip side, she once gave me an awesome 50's era ceramic mixing bowl. I LOVED that bowl! I broke it a year ago and felt horrible!

TaraPA
09-04-2008, 06:10 PM
DH gave me a fire extinguisher once for our anniversary. :confused3

EthansMom
09-04-2008, 06:11 PM
We had one Christmas where it seemed that each successive gift was crazier than the last: an opened Chia head in a battered box (Goodwill purchase) for me from MIL, a cheese spreader with a plastic handle "carved" in the shape of a moose head for us from my Grandma, a full set of candles in the shape of Christmas houses (I'm not a candle person) for me from SIL....

It was mine and DH's first Christmas together on our own and every single crazy gift was shipped to us by family members. We loved that they thought of us, but would have vastly preferred a card or a note rather than gifts.

blackforest
09-04-2008, 06:12 PM
My DGrandmother years ago, she is no longer with us, always bought the grandkids new towels and washcloths for Christmas. I think she ordered them from Harriett Carter. Well they always had our names on them. Shelly, Mark etc. Well, one year she bought them for my parents and all the aunts and uncles. She didn't want their names on them, so she ordered them "plain". Yep you guessed it, they came with the word "Plain" where the name would be! She never forgot that one!

I guess this is why my kids get new towel sets for Christmas!

dementia412
09-04-2008, 06:23 PM
My mom is notorious for giving gifts that don't work or fit, are only half there or are way age inappropriate. I got a squeaky dinosaur (you find them in the baby section usually) when I was in my upper teens. One recent Christmas was just too much though. She sent us a cake with a piece missing! I also got a broken watch when I was 8 or 9 and my sister once gave me a half used paper doll book.

Mouse House Mama
09-04-2008, 06:28 PM
An empty plastic shoe box. An over the door plastic shoe hanger thing. In my teens I got a homemade t-shirt dress with 2 large plaid ruffles at the bottom. Um yeah....why not just beat me up before I even get on the bus? Save the kids the trouble.:rotfl:

minkydog
09-04-2008, 06:33 PM
My mom is notorious for giving gifts that don't work or fit, are only half there or are way age inappropriate. I got a squeaky dinosaur (you find them in the baby section usually) when I was in my upper teens. One recent Christmas was just too much though. She sent us a cake with a piece missing! I also got a broken watch when I was 8 or 9 and my sister once gave me a half used paper doll book.

Is this one of my kids?:rotfl: We have an Aunt Dee who just doesn't get it. We've been trying for years to get her to just send the kids gift cards, but no, she "loves to shop for the kids!":dance3: So here's an idea of the kinds of things she sends:

Ginzu knives with bamboo steamers
Barbie Magic Wand (for my DD @13)
Batman belt, backpack and umbrella (for my DD at 16):rotfl:

DS got a big birthday box yesterday. Guess what he got? 4 golf shirts that his 60yr old uncle didn't want anymore and 2 Harry Potter rings. DS is 22:rolleyes1

MNFootballMommy
09-04-2008, 06:34 PM
A matched set of Christmas mugs that played a C-mas tune when tipped to drink out of them. Inside each mug was a half used perfume sample. :confused3 The music was so out of tune on those mugs that it drive a person to STOP drinking! :lmao:

mjrich73
09-04-2008, 06:46 PM
This past christmas my BIL/SIL gave me and my DH, a pie mix and a stuffed chicken...we forgot the chicken in my husband's aunt's freezer overnight. When we went to get it the following day, we found out my SIL had already come and picked it up. She decided the pie mix was enough...:eek: We could not belive they would give it to us and then take it away!! My BIL was embarrased his wife had done it...but did not give it back to us or buy us another one. Oh well what can you do???:confused3

cheerforchelsea
09-04-2008, 06:50 PM
About 15 years ago my DH and I were separated at Christmas time but still had small children so ..... for Christmas he gave me a nice pair of Rebok Tennis Shoes....both were for the left foot and they were different sizes?!?!?!?

amandaraye
09-04-2008, 06:57 PM
A postage stamp. Yup. One lonely stamp inside my birthday card from my Grammy. I'm guessing maybe she meant to put it ON the envelope and mail it? Maybe? I really dunno....:confused3

OH--and there was the time I was having a party at my house for my DD birthday and my Grammy was here as was DH's grandmother Wanda. Well, Grammy found out it had been Wanda's birthday a few days prior (she had never met the woman, mind you). All of a sudden I hear Wanda "Oh I LOVE it!!! Thank you!" and turn around to see Wanda opening a half-used bottle of perfume that had been wrapped in toilet paper. Well, let me tell you that perfume looked VERY familiar! It was MINE that Grammy had taken from my bathorom to wrap in TP to give to Wanda as a present for her birthday! *ROFLMAO* I could not believe it. :rotfl:

Never did get it replaced either. :sad2:

Narnia
09-04-2008, 07:04 PM
I love these kinds of gift. The gift of laughter. As a kid my grandma would always give us pj's and socks. Mine would always have one odd one in it so we would have to lokk for missing one. one year at 14 i got a bright pink nightgown that looked like it came off a barbie doll ity was even made out of odd doll clothes material. My dh's family is odd they give food items like black olives. One year my BIL went to cosco and bout everyone gifts we got kd and katchup, popcorn and jerky. My kids love kd and I think he feels left out since his paents refused to make it for them.

SILLYANDI
09-04-2008, 07:08 PM
I am the one who gets those gifts from MIL each year....
One year a box of harlequin romance books that had been read AND highlighted in. Another year she shows me an "ugly" (her words) sweater that a co-worker bought her...then it shows up as my present 2 weeks later (obviously she forgot that she showed it to me!).
Last year I actually got a great gift-a $50 gift card, but then she said "Oh that's for DH, he wants XYZ" but she wrapped it and gave it to me to give to him so it didn't look like I was getting nothing!
DH was so embarrassed that he let me spend it (DUH, like it was his choice?!)

She also calls and asks me what I'm buying for DH & kids then goes out and gets the exact same things! We go to her house for Christmas eve so they would open her gifts first and I'd look pretty stupid the next day. I got wise to it and started telling her some big ticket items that I didn't want to spend the $$ on then I would get them something else. Last year SHE bought the AG dolls, the limited edition transformer and the WII. & I spent about $200 total on all the kids combined!:laughing:

MomofCKJ
09-04-2008, 07:09 PM
The year I got the computer printer ink jet refill kit pretty much topped it for me. What? Can you get any more dull than that? I got, from the same gift givers, a Clapper one year and another year a red satin Members Only style jacket (except it wasn't in the 80s)! Ugh.

Allyson

MissyDVC
09-04-2008, 07:13 PM
My very DH always gets flustered when gift giving time comes around and one Christmas, in my stocking, I got some socks, candy, a pretty necklace a HAND MIXER and ...wait for it...a MEAT CLEVER!!!:confused3 When I laughed and asked him about the mixer and clever, he said I know that you like to cook and didn't have these things!:rotfl2: :lmao: I do love him so..:love:

patsal
09-04-2008, 07:17 PM
She also calls and asks me what I'm buying for DH & kids then goes out and gets the exact same things! We go to her house for Christmas eve so they would open her gifts first and I'd look pretty stupid the next day. I got wise to it and started telling her some big ticket items that I didn't want to spend the $$ on then I would get them something else. Last year SHE bought the AG dolls, the limited edition transformer and the WII. & I spent about $200 total on all the kids combined!:laughing:

OMG Andrea, we must be sisters! My mother does the same thing, but she didn't fall fo rit when I said the Wii. Oh well!

tessiemez
09-04-2008, 07:19 PM
On my first birthday with my now-husband, he got me a USB drive that had come buy-one-get-one-free with the one he'd bought for himself. He had been with me the week before when I bought one for myself.

He paid for that for a while. :rotfl:

mombare
09-04-2008, 07:46 PM
I absolutely LOVE this thread - I was reading some of them to my husband and we were laughing! They sound so familiar! These are my favorites....

When we were in our early teens, my poor sister got a skimpy black lacy nighty...not the kind for teenagers, but more of a honeymoon style. This was in front of my entire extended family, and it came from our crazy aunt. :rotfl2:

Another of our crazy aunts (from the same family) gave us each a box of cereal once when we were kids. All the other kids were opening toys and fun games...and we got raisin bran and cheerios. :confused3

I also have one of those crazy grandmothers who doesn't realize her gifts are crazy! My poor DH has been on the wrong end of the deal since he entered the family! He was excited to hear we would no longer be getting presents from her. :laughing: The best...a baby blanket for his first Christmas before we were even married and a collapsable folding shovel (this doesn't really work in MN). Anyway...it's better than the birthday card he got in the mail with my ex-brother-in-laws name on the top! :scared1:

KristineMN
09-04-2008, 07:58 PM
My SIL tops anyone I know for crazy gifts. One year she gave each of her three neices like 15 gifts each. Excessive yes - however - all of them were boughten at garage sales! Now I am always looking for a good deal and have no problem whatsoever buying things at garage sales - but some of gifts were clothes 5 sizes too big for them because she thought they were cute (they weren't!) and the WORST was the used stuffed animals! When the kids went to bed that night I literally took the stuffed animals out of their rooms and they went straight into the garbage.

I felt bad that she found it necessary to buy SO much. I know she is on a budget - but she just doesn't get it that the kids truly would love a new notebook and pencil set for a dollar from the dollar store. It does not have to be excessive in expense or quantity for them to be happy.

Ohio Disney Girl
09-04-2008, 08:00 PM
My mother-in-law bought my husband a $100 mall gift card to spend at any store he chose one year, while I got......an electric razor (unsolicited) and the complimentary nose-hair trimmer that came with it!:lmao:

I asked, "Well, either I smell so badly that you think I must not be showering enough to use a regular razor, or I'm a heck of a lot hairier than I thought, which is it?":rotfl: No response, but the whole room lost it! She didn't seem embarassed and never offered to return it.

I kept it in the box for two years unopened as I could never figure out where to return it, Guess what SHE'S getting for Christmas this year????;)

Bear in mind, this is the same woman who has been known to introduce me as "the person who gave us two beautiful grandchildren..." Whom just happens to also be married to her SON!:rolleyes:

minkydog
09-04-2008, 08:08 PM
The year I got the computer printer ink jet refill kit pretty much topped it for me. What? Can you get any more dull than that?

for Mother's Day this year my DH bought me a cordless mouse that doesn't work and a hanging basket that you have to add soil and seeds to . AND I had to cook dinner for everyone. That stupid flower basket never did bloom either:headache:

duffy
09-04-2008, 08:34 PM
My dear, departed mother-in-law once gave me a digital thermometer. What was really cool about it, was you could use it orally, or insert it into these little disposable plastic sleeves and then use it rectally. How thoughtful.

natnelliesmom
09-04-2008, 09:00 PM
I was reading these to my DH and he reminded me of the lovely gift that his grandfather gave him for Christmas when he was 16.
On Christmas Eve his grandparents were over and his grandfather tells him that he has a special present for him but wants to give it to him in the bathroom. What???!!!
When they get in there he hands him a small wrapped box. DH opens it up and there is a pair of strawberry flavored edible panties!!! WTH!!! He was 16! The funny thing is that we had been dating for about 3 months at the time.
I don't know what his GF thought we were doing- but we certainly didn't need any help from him!!! YUCK!!!!!
-Sarah

Tarheel Tink
09-04-2008, 09:02 PM
The craziest is one I gave! :rotfl:
About 30 years ago my roommate could not afford to neuter her dog so I paid to have it done where I work and saved the "evidence" in a jar of formaldehyde, wrapped it and put it under the tree for Christmas. My boss at the time had no sense of humor but went along with it.
:cool1:

kellydizfan
09-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Frying Pan and Space Saver bags from my Husband for Christmas 2 years ago. Needless to say he will never do that again. I received this past Christmas a Diamond Tennis Bracelet in White Gold.

lucigo
09-04-2008, 09:11 PM
A postage stamp. Yup. One lonely stamp inside my birthday card from my Grammy. I'm guessing maybe she meant to put it ON the envelope and mail it? Maybe? I really dunno....:confused3

Oh I can tell you what this one was! That was her way of telling you that you need to write your Grammy!! My Grandmother did the same thing to me, sent me a book of stamps and told me she expected to hear from me more often! Snail mail - UGGGGG!!

My solution was to start making shutterfly cards and letting them send them to her because I can't bring myself to sit down and handwrite a card, find a stamp and get it to the mailbox :rotfl:

Isi
09-04-2008, 09:30 PM
Ok here it goes...I am a school bus driver and this really nice family that there daughter goes with me gave me a pair of black granny panties, they didn't even have a tag I swear..that was 2 years ago, this past christmas it was a christmas card with nothing inside, not even a Happy Holidays..:lmao:

Donnainnj
09-04-2008, 09:41 PM
I have a great aunt that was good at this. Her normal Christmas gift for us kids was a bag of Fig Newtons. Sometimes we got the colored in coloring books, and once my cousin got pj's that must have been from her son, they were 2 sizes to big, about 30 years old, and falling apart.
Dh can be pretty good at it to, always getting me the house gifts, or things he wants, such as frying pans, and a vacuum. I learned and just tell him what I want now which mostly works, but I still always get a pack of mixed nuts, and cashews in my stocking that he eats.
Donna

MickeyMomOfThree
09-04-2008, 09:41 PM
I am glad I don't have to see to type, because my eyes are full of tears. I have a story, but not nearly as funny as all of yours. My husband's family does the name drawing thing, and you are supposed to spend $20 per person. I always did my best to put thought into it (what giving is supposed to be about.) But our gifts were very thoughtless year after year, but this one year topped the others. After having 3 kids, I was still struggling to loose the baby weight, (plus, I am six feet tall) and I was given a white sweatshirt, size small (haven't been that since I met them) covered in stains. My husband got a broken (into pieces) glass candle holder--- one of them, in a box that said 2 candle holders. I am very thrifty, but that isn't thrifty, that's kind of rude. We have since dropped out of the drawing because we don't go home for Christmas now that the kids are older and we like to be in our own home. But I wonder what I would have gotten this year.

tinytink
09-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Ok here it goes...I am a school bus driver and this really nice family that there daughter goes with me gave me a pair of black granny panties, they didn't even have a tag I swear..that was 2 years ago, this past christmas it was a christmas card with nothing inside, not even a Happy Holidays..:lmao:
ok, after asking us if we had this gaming console my uncle gave us a video game for a system we don't even have after asking us if we had one. than offered to take it off our hands so he could play on his system since we didn't have the gaming system.

PrincessKitty1
09-04-2008, 10:11 PM
Well, I've mentioned it on a crazy-present thread before, but I'll tell the story again. :) My (independently wealthy, by the way) sister-in-law handed DH and I two lumpy porcelain plates she had made in college, one chipped, and said, "I want you to have these as a wedding present. I made them myself in college. They're handmade! One of them is chipped."

I still :lmao: when I think of the "They're handmade! One of them is chipped," statement.

I have to admit I still have them stuck up in a kitchen cabinet.I'm afraid if they came to visit us, my S-I-L would ask about them. :lmao:

tipsytrtle
09-04-2008, 10:23 PM
my husband's grandmother who is her 90's usually gives each couple a 5.00 check but one christmas we each got a tiny wrapped present which she insisted could not be open until the following day (big italian family who gets together on christmas eve vs christmas day) ... but our present was leaking so i asked for permission to open early
it was a mini apple pie, like 2 or 3inches wide, wrapped in holiday paper:lmao:

MichelleinMaine
09-04-2008, 10:30 PM
The craziest is one I gave! :rotfl:
About 30 years ago my roommate could not afford to neuter her dog so I paid to have it done where I work and saved the "evidence" in a jar of formaldehyde, wrapped it and put it under the tree for Christmas. My boss at the time had no sense of humor but went along with it.
:cool1:

Oh my gosh- I just choked on my water. BAH!!! (at least it was a "responsible" sort of gift - Bob Barker approved!:rotfl2: )

disynut
09-04-2008, 10:35 PM
:laughing: Thank you all for making me laugh so hard I've had tears streaming down my face(so much so that when I read the one about the "rusty brass box" my eyes were fuzzy and I thought someone had been given a rusty bra--then I really got tickled and almost woke up my kids!)....:rotfl2:

I just have to know.....why would anyone highlight Harlequin romances?:rotfl:

I've been enjoying these others so much I can't think of any---except my dh's grandmother always, always gave all the men underwear for Christmas. For some reason, one year she didn't give them underwear---on the way home from her house, we had to stop at WalMart to buy underwear because dh's dad said he needed some!

Belle4mygrl
09-04-2008, 10:40 PM
16 years ago my best friend had me a personal shower before my wedding. I am not sure if girls do this now but the customary gifts are nighties, perfume, etc.

My single MIL was not in a financial place to buy something but I guess she felt the need to get me something. i opened a very nice one piece black nightie. I was thrilled she thought of me that much. UNTIL I got home and was looking through my gifts. The nightie had been worn. I could see the unwashed stains in the crotch! :scared1: GROSS DISGUSTING My future husband was so embarassed. You know I could have dealt with a used gift but a nightie with stains. She could have washed it. :headache:

BTW, we did throw it away.

wlwilliams9
09-04-2008, 10:48 PM
for Mother's Day this year my DH bought me a cordless mouse that doesn't work and a hanging basket that you have to add soil and seeds to . AND I had to cook dinner for everyone. That stupid flower basket never did bloom either:headache:

I have been a mom for 2 years now and DH has neglected to get me ANYTHING for Mother's Day...not even a card! He is still in the dog house for this.:headache:

I also dated a guy who bought all of his christmas presents at the dollar store!

SunKat
09-04-2008, 11:39 PM
THe craziest present I've received was a foam rubber kitchen clock with a white pleather cover with a pink and blue plastic cat that spun around to tell the time. One of my friends gave it to me for Christmas years ago. She used to visit us at least once a week so I had no choice but to hang it up in my kitchen. :sick:

GabbyMom
09-05-2008, 03:10 AM
My ex-bf was bad at buying presents for me. One year for my birthday I got one of those motion dolphins swirlie things.
For Christmas I for a glass statue with the Aquarius sign on it.
Our last Christmas together he got me "jewelry." He bought a crystal Christmas ornament and put a satin string through it. I'm a big girl but a christmas ornament is too much for even me to pull off as a necklace.

DumboPrincess
09-05-2008, 04:33 AM
Let's see...few years back MIL gave me the LitterMate automatic cat litter box...she also gift wrapped the containers that hold the poop and the litter itself. That was fun to open. :confused3 I really didn't know what to think...and my husband slept through it all...funny story...:laughing:

I actually accidently drugged him with some Ambien mixed in with his daily meds. I reminded him to take his meds and he swallowed all the pills in the ziplock, not realizing the Ambien was among them.:scared1: Ooops...he sawed logs throughout the gift opening ordeal.:headache:

Another Christmas I got a trash can. Think they're trying to tell me something?:rotfl: :rotfl:

Crystal0608
09-05-2008, 06:47 AM
I love this thread. I'm supp to be getting the kids ready for school, but I'm too busy LOL at this thread. I can soo relate! I appreciate all presents, but I laugh inside at a few. Here are some recents:

The 1st year I dated dh, his very frugal dad got me a wall corded phone previously used reboxed with gum on the cord. For a few years I got previously used gift (inc. like food gift sets stored for a year, I checked the exp date :)), but he now gives me money, lol.

DH tries, but some gifts are sooo funny. One year was a pack of granny panties way too big, I didn't want to hurt his feelings & wore them to sleep in. I finally told him the next year that I didn't wear that style, so he picked me out some low low rise juniors felix the cats. I wear natural colored makeup & get french pedis, but I'm not brand picky. DH got me a HUGE makeup case with very color of the rainbow eyeshadow & nailpolish (and its the 2nd time I got one of these :)). I could go on... I have a standard safe xmas list- B&BW, Lane Bryant cert., pedi certificate, and socks and would be happy to get the same thing every year, but dh says my list is boring and won't shop from it!

Some interesting gifts I've gave....I'm a very pratical person who can be creative on limited funds though I usually gift good gifts unless otherwise requested. My dad wears 5X & always asks for boxer briefs which are hard to find in local stores, so thats always in his gift bag. My MIL visited with us & didn't know my dad/g-parents try on everything to make sure it fits, not a shy bunch. Still LOL at her turning around & seeing my dad's new gift! I've also have got him cigs & lighter pack by request. My mawmaw asked for a good new bra one year, so I obliged (same year as mil visited)-yep she made sure it fit. My younger sil always complains about what I get her while I'm still in the room, one year was a tommy juniors babydoll shirt, one a nice $50 perfume sampler, another makeup brand she wore & lip gloss, soooo 2 years ago I wrapped her a pretty box with a poem with the 12 pads of Christmas included with 12 packs of Carefree thong pantyliners (which she wears-CVS ecb deal). It was a joke since she never likes or uses what I buy, though I did get her a bottle of B&BW & soft socks too. The funniest part was instead of looking inside & closing the box, no she keeps pulling them out of the box looking for something else maybe, I was rolling in the floor. Her dogs have ruined her apts carpet, so I bought a neutral 5x7 rug same color as the carpet, but again verbal complaints until I said I can give it to someone who will like it. She complained as MIL opened real pearl earrings I bought her, said mom don't you have enough jewelry! Geesh!

Keep 'em coming, I love these!

eliza61
09-05-2008, 07:56 AM
My BIL gave me a giant bag of popcorn for Christmas one year. I mean the jumbo 5 gallon trash bag full of popcorn.

I'm afraid to even hazard a guess as to why he thought this would be a good gift for me.

McKelly
09-05-2008, 08:01 AM
One year my mother got me a laundry basket filled with toilet paper and paper towel. I couldn't even look at my DH for fear of laughing. Well, at least it was useful!!

jiggerj
09-05-2008, 08:29 AM
An empty cd case and an empty DVD case...

Hmmm... come to think about it, they were both from my X husband! :lmao:

puffkin
09-05-2008, 08:49 AM
I just have to know.....why would anyone highlight Harlequin romances?:rotfl:

I was thinking the same thing!

jeepgirl30
09-05-2008, 08:58 AM
My mom is the queen of frugal, well thats what SHE calls it, we all call it CHEAP.

One year for my birthday she sent me a pair of canvas shoes that were pink and green striped and used. Very used. This year she wrapped up a candle set but took one out! She does that a lot. My gifts from her are either used or 1/2 sampled. She gets a lot of stuff from garage sales and clearance and has a door at home with just junk. When she needs a gift she pulls something out of it. Never really suits the person. Then she gets all mad and offended if the person doesn't fall all over themselves to tell her what a wonderful gift they got!

She called me and asked me if i could use a new set of cookware. I said SURE! I told her I perfered the non stick. She said "no, this set is not non stick, in fact it probably isn't any good but it comes with 3 free gifts I could use for up coming weddings/graduations and also a mail in rebate so it is only $30. Do you want to send me the $30 and I'll pick it up for you?" Um, NO!

My MIL is not much better. She does fine with the kids and DH but not so much for me! One year we went to a candle party and they passed around a mellon scented candle. Mellon scent anything makes me very nauseous. She kept insisting I smell it, i kept saying no. Well she stuck it under my nose and I had to run to the bathroom! Yep, got sick. Guess what I got for christmas that year? Oh yes, the very same mellon candle in a jar! another year she bought me this granny purse after seeing the beautiful Coach purse DH had gotten me. I went to return it and was told it had been purchased on clearance for $3.18!

eeyorethegreat
09-05-2008, 09:02 AM
One Mother's Day my DH thought he would be helpful and get something for my garden. A truckload of manure! Yes, I was the only Mother who could honestly say she got SH-- for Mothers day! LOL!:rotfl:

winnapooh
09-05-2008, 09:22 AM
One Mother's Day my DH thought he would be helpful and get something for my garden. A truckload of manure! Yes, I was the only Mother who could honestly say she got SH-- for Mothers day! LOL!:rotfl:

OMG, I was rolling on the floor laughing!!!

I know I've gotten some interesting gifts, but the only one I can think of right now is the matching shirts that DH and I got from my MIL. Matching t-shirts would have been fine, but these were men's dress shirts, in faux suede!

fritzerbear
09-05-2008, 09:33 AM
For our first wedding anniversary, I asked DH for a stainless steel kitchen sink. (We had purchased an older home that had ugly avocado green and gold fixtures and appliances.) We went to Home Depot and picked out the sink together. The sink then sat in the garage for the next year. I told him that for our SECOND wedding anniversary, I would like the sink INSTALLED!

okeydokey
09-05-2008, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the laugh everyone.

Every year my brother and sister-in-law have a gift exchange party in Jan. Everyone brings the worst, funniest or unusable gift they got and draw numbers to pick something else to bring home.

eclairemom
09-05-2008, 09:37 AM
Pretty much anything from my MIL the strangest thing she gave was to my DD (4) it was a garland of green shamrocks :confused: DD thought it was grand but me, not so much with hundreds of tiny green sparkly shamrocks all over my floor in about 2 seconds flat. She has also given us solar birdfeeders (why? birds sleep at night) Solar powered hanging lights that change colors. A combo pot and windchime the pot was resin and shaped like a water pail. Oh and my favorite the looney toon and care bear christmas tree ornaments, you would think she had never been to my house at christmas it hardly goes with my gold, silver and red tree why she would think TAZ would look good by my R&B silver bell collection I have no idea.

Now a funny story from when my mom was a nanny for a very wealthy couple. When time came for the husband and wife to exchange gifts he gave her a brand new Jaguar (the car) and she gave him an extension ladder to clean the gutters on the house :lmao:

mousefanmichelle
09-05-2008, 09:37 AM
Thanks everyone! This has made my morning in so many ways!!

My in-laws buy gifts that stink too - mostly for our kids though. My oldest was 2 months old his first Christmas and my in-laws bought him an adult sized orange hunting hat, an orange baby bottle, an orange sweat suit 5x too big and a compass. I cried. I really cried. I could've used diapers or formula at that time but nooo....

Now they buy the kids all John Deere stuff - even my daughter. Mostly all metal boxes or strange things like that. My DH last year got those $3 shirts from Dillards that are 2x too big and not his style at all but his parents keep on doing it. They go flea marketing while they are in FL for the winter and that is the lovely stuff we get for x-mas each year.

I think the best one is the CD they gave us for our wedding pres. that we couldn't touch for 1 year - as newly weds who were young - 20 & 23 we could have used that money. Oh well.... they thought they were doing something good I guess. We didn't appreciate it though.

KadysMom
09-05-2008, 09:52 AM
A few years ago, my MIL was handing out gifts. She gave her DD a digital camera with a printer, same for her DS. Then it got to DH..... He was so excited for a new digital camera. he got a hickory farms sausage. I got salsa.

I know its the thought that counts but sometimes you want to take that sausage and shove it....

goofyboyzmom
09-05-2008, 09:54 AM
I am soo sad these are over! I have enjoyed them all. OK, here's mine:

When my little sister was about 9, my sister-in-law got us all pretty decent presents. Well, then my little sister got hers......it was a white ceramic hand I like from the wrist up with thumb and fingers sticking up. Apparently it was a ring/braclet holder (?). Well, it looked like something from a cadaver! My little sister looked at it and looked at ours and just started sobbing. I think she even asked her, "why don't you like me?" We have no idea why the "baby" of the family got a gift like that?? Afterwards we joked about it and she actually kept it on a shelf above her bed for quite a while. BTW, 28 years later, and they are still NOT close!!!

Every Christmas, when we are discussing gift items, the "hand" comes up!:thumbsup2

wickywinn
09-05-2008, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the laugh everyone.

Every year my brother and sister-in-law have a gift exchange party in Jan. Everyone brings the worst, funniest or unusable gift they got and draw numbers to pick something else to bring home.

Well you're definitely getting some great ideas for that exchange! :rotfl2:

jeepgirl30
09-05-2008, 10:03 AM
I forgot some of the gifts MIL has given DD. DD was the first grandchild, all through pregnancy MIL told me I better be having a boy. We told her several times the sonogram said girl. Everytime she saw me she would say "you know, I only want a grandSON, no girls so that sonogram just better be wrong"

It wasn't. DD has been a girly girl from the get go! Always wanted the pinkest frilliest dresses she could see. MIL always bought her blue or green pant sets.

One year for Christmas MIL bought DD2 a tractor. She kept saying tomboys all needed tractors. whatever!

Another year for Valentines Day she bought DD a jeans outfit, jeans, jean jacket and blue shirt. MIL always buys things 5X to big saying "they'll grow into it". By this time I had my DS. DD opens her jeans and says "Oh here you go brother, this is for you it is a boys outfit". MIL said oh no girls wear jeans. DD (4 at the time) said "well some girls do but you should know by now I do NOT, I ONLY wear dresses".

She has finally started buying her skirts! They are usually jeans or dark colors but atleast they are skirts.

wickywinn
09-05-2008, 10:03 AM
A few years ago, my MIL was handing out gifts. She gave her DD a digital camera with a printer, same for her DS. Then it got to DH..... He was so excited for a new digital camera. he got a hickory farms sausage. I got salsa.

I know its the thought that counts but sometimes you want to take that sausage and shove it....

Yeees, I guess I should have included what everyone else gets. Let's just say they're not getting hotel toiletries and Dollar Store Easter Eggs...

Todd&Copper
09-05-2008, 10:14 AM

When my little sister was about 9, my sister-in-law got us all pretty decent presents. Well, then my little sister got hers......it was a white ceramic hand I like from the wrist up with thumb and fingers sticking up. Apparently it was a ring/braclet holder (?). Well, it looked like something from a cadaver! My little sister looked at it and looked at ours and just started sobbing. I think she even asked her, "why don't you like me?" We have no idea why the "baby" of the family got a gift like that?? Afterwards we joked about it and she actually kept it on a shelf above her bed for quite a while. BTW, 28 years later, and they are still NOT close!!!

Every Christmas, when we are discussing gift items, the "hand" comes up!:thumbsup2

:rotfl: :lmao: :rotfl:

That is how we (sis & I) felt when we opened Grammy's Xmas gifts. My cousins, 2 and 4 years older than me, lived down the street from Grammy and would take her Xmas shopping with them so she was certian to buy the right color/size/style when it came to trendy clothes, shoes and accessories. My sister and I, on the other hand, got junk like a gigantic broken jewelry box purchased at the Caldor going out of business sale (it was such an old lady style jewelry box, and we didn't even have that much jewelry) and the "month of plastic earrings" card from the Dollar Store (30 pairs of tiny, plastic post-back earrings, for a 12 and a 14 year old). Probably the best was the assortment of inflatible dinosaurs she gave me for my 16th birthday (I was considering paleontology as a college major).
Then, she moved on the QVC, and since I went through a silver & marcasite jewelry phase in 10th grade, she always picked out the gaudiest marcasite and faux onyx brooch QVC or HSN had to offer. I finally felt badly enough about her wasting her money that I told her I didn't really wear marcasite anymore, b/c DH had started buying me gold jewelry (I was 24 years old, btw). She offered to return it and get me something else. I rolled the dice and agreed, and she sent me a watch face with different cloth wristbands. It was definitely something for the "mature" woman. But I shouldn't feel too bad, b/c my sister got a glass dolphin figurine, b/c when she was 5 she really liked marine animals. And the personalized T-shirts with dolphins on the front and her name spelled incorrectly on the back.

Now, Grammy sends gift cards to Olive Garden or JC Penney. Might not be my favorite places, but theya re something I can use.

eowensby
09-05-2008, 10:27 AM
My Dh's Nana was known for gift giving. I came into the family hearing about all of the gifts everyone got at Christmas and birthdays and was terrified. Nana was eccentric and thoughtful. She once gave all the grandsons sweaters for Christmas...from a consignment shop...a ladies consignment shop. My poor Dh, who was about 20 at the time received a turquoise sweatshirt/sweater thing with a mock neck turtleneck built in...Liz Claiborne brand. :lmao: He tried to humor Nana and put it on, but it was a small and my Dh is more of an XL kinda guy. That is the gift that still gets talked about all of the time.
For our wedding, Nana was certain to either attend every shower or at least send a gift. Everything she gave us was useful and we appreciated. I was terrified when she called me one day and asked about my lingerie shower. She wanted to know what sizes and colors I liked. I quickly answered, blue and large. I was so scared, because Nana was very free and open and felt like the human body should be celebrated. That's all fine and dandy, but not with my dh's 75 year old grandma. She sent a gift for my shower, once I finally got up the courage to open it, it was a vanity fair long nightgown...that was hers. :laughing: Yea, like my new dh would want to see me in his grandma's lingerie!:rotfl2: It has gone to the gift hall of fame in our attic along with the Liz Claiborne Sweater.

cajunpeach
09-05-2008, 10:49 AM
my DH step-mil always, always, always regifts. It's one constant in our crazy lives. She is a preschool teacher and I always get her lotions, bubble bath, note pads, note cards, etc that she gets as gifts. On more than one occassion DH & I have mentioned that I can't wear fragrances b/c they triger migranes... She still hasn't gotten the hint. One year, I mentioned how I LOVED her Brighton bracelet and that I've wanted one just the same style for awhile. Guess what I got for my birthday???? Yep, the one in the same bracelet wrapped up. I know it was hers b/c 1) she never wears it anymore 2) they don't make that style anymore. I was lmao :lmao: b/c it is so her, but I was very happy with this gift!!!! :banana: better than lotion I can't use any day!!!

Also, this past Christmas, DH gave me a block of cheese in my stocking. :scared1: I must say, he always gives me unusual things in my stocking, but when I put my hand down in there and felt something cold and clammy, I was a lot surprised. he knows how much I love this type of cheese and it's not readily available. He went to several stores to find it and I love him :lovestruc for thinking of me, it was just strange!

kileybeth
09-05-2008, 11:26 AM
stop! I can't take it anymore! My children think I've lost my marbles I am laughing so hard.

I am suppose to be planning a trip here! And after the expense of it I may be needing some of these excellent gift suggestions!

I guess I only thought my gifts where odd or cheap. . .still have the resin Moose head from the dollar store, and the empty old paint can promising to paint 2 rooms which happened the next year for Christmas (talk about regifting!) His excuse? Well I didn't have money to buy paint after Christmas so I am giving it to you this year?!

At least my MIL always just gives me those things that come free from Hallmark with so many card purchases?

twoeeyy
09-05-2008, 12:45 PM
For my wedding someone had left 2 packages of hot pinks clothes hangers on the gift table. We knew who did it ( one of my husbands friends ) . You know whats funny is the wedding was 17 years ago and we still have a few left.

So it was definatelly a crazy / weird present to get for your wedding but it ended up being one of the practical ones :rotfl:

Newfie2000
09-05-2008, 01:45 PM
When DH and I arrived at our wedding reception I noticed one of my dad's best friends and also first police partner standing in a corner with his back turned doing something. :confused3 I knew it was wierd and it peaked my curiosity but something distracted me and it was quickly forgotten. When we finally got a chance to sit down I was shocked to see a goldfish bowl with two goldfish in front of our place settings. It did'nt take long to figure out what was going on in the corner. He had to get the fish out of the bags into the bowl, etc. The photographer had seen it and took some amazing pictures of the fish/bowl on the table surrounded by our floral table centerpiece. :) In fairness, I have to say this was not our only gift, just an extra, I had worked in a pet shop for over 13 years, he knew we had quite a few aquariums and were animal crazy and when I was a little girl I used to love going to his house because he breed fish and I was almost always allowed to pick out a couple of fish to bring home for our tanks. So... the gift actually had a lot of sentimental value for many reasons - but a whole lot of our guests just assumed he was nuts! 8 years later and we still have those two fish, they just would no longer fit in a bowl and are quite happy in their 38 gallon tank!

merekc
09-05-2008, 01:50 PM
I've already posted once (BIL's $3 ugly shirts), however, this is so much fun, I have to post again.

When we first got married, I decided to be fun and decorate my kitchen with a jalapeno theme. I'm usually a kind of traditional person, but thought I'd do something different. I'm not into crafty or tacky stuff. I don't necessarily need namebrand, but I want it to look namebrand/nice KWIM. Anyway for my b-day, my MIL and SIL were so excited to give me a wreath that they had made for my kitchen. They actually bought a decorated wreath and then added to it. It was a straw wreath larger than a large pizza. It was covered in sunflowers and some other purple flower. It had a large, plastic, cheap-looking cactus going up through the center. They glued plastic jalapenos to it and then left a little red (barbie sized) velvet-y cowboy hat on it. They were so excited but in the minutes before they gave it to me you could see them re-thinking it. I oohed and aahed like a good DIL, while DH and his dad were laughing hysterically. DH told his mom he was going to hang it at his end of the ping-pong table to distract his opponents.:lmao:

I went home and hung that thing in my kitchen (like a good DIL) for almost a year. I finally redecorated and dumped the theme so I could get rid of it. We put it in our garage sale and laughingly said, this will be the first thing to go. Yep, we were right.

My DH's family have a long history of terrible gift-giving, stories that make me so sad for my DH. Like one time he saw a transformer at his gmas prior to xmas and just knew he was going to get it. Nope, it went to a cousin, DH got underwear. It is sad, because they aren't doing it maleciously, they are just clueless.

rluey29
09-05-2008, 02:21 PM
I don't understand how a sister can give all but one sister really nice items, or a grandmother who gives one child a really cool toy and the other some underwear or a parent who has the nerve to give one child sausage and the rest nice electronics.

It seems more like being mean than clueless, I would never have the nerve to do that to someone. Especially at a family gathering with everyone around. I feel so sad for some of these people!

sillysmom
09-05-2008, 02:29 PM
:faint: 16 years ago my best friend had me a personal shower before my wedding. I am not sure if girls do this now but the customary gifts are nighties, perfume, etc.

My single MIL was not in a financial place to buy something but I guess she felt the need to get me something. i opened a very nice one piece black nightie. I was thrilled she thought of me that much. UNTIL I got home and was looking through my gifts. The nightie had been worn. I could see the unwashed stains in the crotch! :scared1: GROSS DISGUSTING My future husband was so embarassed. You know I could have dealt with a used gift but a nightie with stains. She could have washed it. :headache:

BTW, we did throw it away.

:faint: gross!

oliviansmom17
09-05-2008, 02:52 PM
Crazy great-aunts seem to be the theme! Mine would always send us a box of weirdo's for Christmas. Used stuffed animals, broken plastic crystal rose-covered boxes..random. The best was an egg-slicer. In a warped box that didn't close- with egg yolk still on it. Yum.

merekc
09-05-2008, 03:11 PM
rluey29 - Lot's of people are dealing with maliciousness in their stories, but yes, some can be just clueless.

In the case of my DH, I asked him about it. He said probably what happened is that when his mom was asked what gma should get for Christmas she said something inexpensive and usable, while the other kid's family told what he really wanted. His Gma just went with what the moms said instead of stopping and thinking, that yes, this would cause a problem. This is the same person who gave a 12 year old boy a big teddy bear. Some people just don't get it.

I agree it is hard to understand. I was fortunate to come from a very loving, generous family. My gma never did anything for one grandkid that she didn't do for all. So I really struggle dealing with some of the inequalities I see in DH's family. But I do know he is loved, they are just not bright people. KWIM. I've seen many scenarios that I've thought were crappy and where DH (or other members of his family) have been treated less than others, however, I also know that his family doesn't do it intentionaly. They just don't get it.
I'm proud that he can blow it off. I'm not sure I could.

blabbermouth
09-05-2008, 04:00 PM
I'm sooo glad my grandma just mails me $12 cheques... :scared:

blackforest
09-05-2008, 04:03 PM
Not really in the vein of weird gifts, but my DMom always wants to get just the right gifts for all of us. She is usually on a very tight budget (widow). So I either "sell" her stuff I have already bought or shop with her and find great sales.

Wouldn't you know it, these are ALWAYS the ones everybody goes crazy over!

Okay, I did think of something. Same DMom and I try to find "off-the-wall" things to open during the "Stocking Hour." These are the most fun! One year, the guys all got flart putty (huge hit)! Silly things (mugs, key chains) with all the wrong names on them, had to explain that one?!! Last year was the best! Lottery tickets that were all winners. DBrother bought lost it when he "won" $10,000. DNiece was picking our her car! We're weird but fun!

aladams2
09-05-2008, 04:07 PM
Last year my DMIL sent us (me, DH, DD5 and DD6) each a silver dollar! That's it. We didn't even tell the girls, who would have been very dissappointed to get a coin!! They don't live near us and don't see us very often, but come on!! You could at least send a book or something for the girls!!

NJtoATL
09-05-2008, 04:11 PM
One year, one of my students gave me an used pen he most likely found on the street as a Christmas gift. :confused3 Needless to say, I gave him a hug and thanked him for his thoughtfulness. :rotfl: :rotfl:

He also gave me my first three gray hairs.:scared1:

LorlovesStitch
09-05-2008, 05:25 PM
Two funny Xmas gifts stand out in my mind. When my brother was 10 (he is now 34), he wanted a remote control car. My grandmother made a huge deal to my parents that she got him the greatest remote control car, couldn't wait for him to open it, etc. Well, Christmas morning, he opened up a..............PINK BARBIE CAR!! It wasn't even real remote control....it had a cord attatched!!!:lmao: My brother looked at it and said to me (15 years old at the time) "this must be yours", then ran out of the room crying. My grandmother was shocked...she just didn't get it! :confused3

Every year my DH's family has a Grab Bag gift exchange on Xmas. The gifts are usually pretty decent, not expensive, but usually one or two duds or gags in the mix. Well, it was quite interesting when 92 year old Gram opened up a box that had edible underwear in it!!!!:rotfl2: Thank God she couldn't really see, and we just discreetly switched it with something else!!

MayMom
09-05-2008, 06:04 PM
On our first Christmas as a married couple, my new MIL bought me a scale and a pair of XXL pajamas. (I wear a 8-10):lmao:

Coll0610
09-05-2008, 06:07 PM
MIL wins the prize for the worst gifts:

Control top pantyhose (she belongs to pantyhose of the month club and had a few hundred extra pair, so she gve me and SIL each a couple).
a knit doll that covers the extra role of toilet paper in the bathroom
light blue towels (for my peach-colored bathroom) that had already been washed so we couldn't return them. We actually got these for several years. Must have been a really good sale.
A tupperware mixing bowl that had to be 30 years old and smelled like their basement no matter how many times I washed it.

stuffedw/fluff
09-05-2008, 06:09 PM
For my 22nd birthday (almost 10 years ago now), I got very excited because I unwrapped a Riedel wine glass box from my stepmother and dad. Even at 22, I knew Riedel wine glasses were NICE. So, my Stepmom says, "These are for your fine china collection." However, my excitement turned to horror when I opened the box to discover four cheap pink and clear bubble glass wineglasses that I know my aunt and uncle had given her about two years before. I think I even drank out of them at one point! (My stepmom and dad kept the real Riedel glasses for themselves.) Well, I was living in their basement at the time so into the closet they went. When I moved out, guess what....I took EVERYTHING out of the closet except the box of glasses. She never mentioned it to me. My gifts from then on have been much better. ;)

What goes around comes around...about three years ago she mentioned that some friends of theirs gave them some candlesticks that my stepmom and dad had given the friends!!! HA! HA!

twoeeyy
09-05-2008, 06:10 PM
my MIL gave me a stop and shop pot holder for my baby shower.:confused3

WisconsinDisneyGirl
09-05-2008, 06:23 PM
A friend of mine got married a few weeks ago. She got two weird gifts: a weird beaded thing that was stuffed in a card and a package of baby wipes and diapers. At first we thought is was a friend making a joke but it was a family memeber that they did not know very well that gave it to them :confused:

HillPete
09-05-2008, 06:44 PM
not a bad gift, just a bad attitude...

Last year before Xmas the out-lasw were visiting. MIL and I went shopping together to pick up a few last-minute things. She got DH and me a gift card for Home Depot. We needed it, so no problem there, until we got back to my house... We got home and she says to me: 'Do you want me to take this home and mail it to you so you don't lose it?'
She has said some pretty insulting things to me in the past, but this was probably the worst. It doesn't read as aweful as it sounded. Try reading it with an air of self-righteousness and disdain.

Martindis2006
09-05-2008, 08:54 PM

I am the little sister she is talking about and it was a wrist with a fist and an empty hole in the center of it. Apparently the fake flowers that were supposed to be in it had fallen in the driveway on the way up to our house. I never found the fake flowers! I really think she didn't like me!

goofyboyzmom
09-05-2008, 09:03 PM
I am the little sister she is talking about and it was a wrist with a fist and an empty hole in the center of it. Apparently the fake flowers that were supposed to be in it had fallen in the driveway on the way up to our house. I never found the fake flowers! I really think she didn't like me!

I must have seen the hand thing elsewhere and got confused but I am laughing AGAIN thinking about the empty fist!! :rotfl2:

BTW, she doesn't like her!!!

Tinkergirl
09-05-2008, 09:11 PM
We have a dear, dear family friend who will be 101 in October (and she's a firecracker!) Ever since I've known her, she's taken things around her house and wrapped them up. You never know what you are going to get from her- it's often times hillarious.

My favorite was one my SIL got from her- first Christmas in the family (I don't think they were even married yet.) It was a small box of Whitman's samplers. Some of the chocolates were gone. The papers were alls till there- she'd filled them with mini SNickers still in the wrappers and walnuts. SIL didn't even know what to say, it was just too funny!

We also threw her a surprise party when she was 90. She thought the party was for a neighbor's Sweet Sixteen. I picked her up to bring her to the hall and she confided to me she'd had no idea what to get a 16 year old girl. So she wrapped up a black plastic comb (the kind they give you at school pictures) in a piece of notebook paper for her. I was happy the party was really not for that girl to have her get that as a gift! :)

On the flip side, she once gave me an awesome 50's era ceramic mixing bowl. I LOVED that bowl! I broke it a year ago and felt horrible!

Thats the funniest story I've heard in a while!! :rotfl: God bless her!

Syrreal
09-05-2008, 10:27 PM
I once got a CAN of black olives for Christmas.....nuff said.

dave_echidna
09-05-2008, 11:18 PM
I got a Dumbo stapler etc a few years ago. I said thanks, but is aweful.

lucigo
09-06-2008, 12:27 AM
My dear grandmother (90yo) has forever given us money in a card with the inscription (and I kid you not) "go blow yourself". This means we are supposed to spend the money, not save it. Its always fun when a sibling marries and a new family members gets their first card! :rotfl:

lucigo
09-06-2008, 12:28 AM

We must have the same grandparents, I got black olives once too! :rotfl2:

Did you put them on your fingertips and then eat them off one at a time? :laughing:

MissyDVC
09-06-2008, 07:13 AM
My dear grandmother (90yo) has forever given us money in a card with the inscription (and I kid you not) "go blow yourself". This means we are supposed to spend the money, not save it. Its always fun when a sibling marries and a new family members gets their first card! :rotfl:

That is hilarious!!!! :lmao: :rotfl: :laughing: :rotfl2:

wickywinn
09-06-2008, 09:27 AM

My sil's gift every single year to dh is a bag of twizzlers. Don't know why. :confused3

eeyorethegreat
09-06-2008, 09:35 AM
Last year my DMIL sent us (me, DH, DD5 and DD6) each a silver dollar! That's it. We didn't even tell the girls, who would have been very dissappointed to get a coin!! They don't live near us and don't see us very often, but come on!! You could at least send a book or something for the girls!!

My DH inhierited a coin collection last year. Not being a coin collector he did quite a bit of research. Some silver dollars are valuable depending on certain characteristics, mint date, condidtion etc. We didn't have any real valuable ones- average worth of each of our being around $20 +/- . You might want to take some time and find out exactly what you have for silver dollars. Maybe your worthless coins are really worth something!:thumbsup2

lucigo
09-06-2008, 09:38 AM
My sil's gift every single year to dh is a bag of twizzlers. Don't know why. :confused3

Maybe its a tradition with her family? I have gotten (among other things) a bag of M&Ms every year from my parents (42 bags!) I've continued the tradition and my kids get a bag every year now also. :thumbsup2

Have to admit I would rather have M&Ms than Twizzlers LOL

Mouse House Mama
09-06-2008, 09:41 AM
A friend of mine got married a few weeks ago. She got two weird gifts: a weird beaded thing that was stuffed in a card and a package of baby wipes and diapers. At first we thought is was a friend making a joke but it was a family memeber that they did not know very well that gave it to them :confused:

This sounds like she got a fertilty bead counter and the baby wipes and diapers were for when she conceived. Some women use the beads to count until ovulation. Like natural family planning if you will. Still a very weird and personal gift to give someone.:surfweb:

bluesaturn
09-06-2008, 11:38 AM
This sounds like she got a fertilty bead counter and the baby wipes and diapers were for when she conceived. Some women use the beads to count until ovulation. Like natural family planning if you will. Still a very weird and personal gift to give someone.:surfweb:

I heard on the travel channel that in some cultures gifts like this are given at a wedding as good luck. It's like wishing them good luck that they will conceive soon, because in some cultures that is the number one goal after marriage. Do you think that applies for this couple?

Syrreal
09-06-2008, 12:49 PM
We must have the same grandparents, I got black olives once too! :rotfl2:

Did you put them on your fingertips and then eat them off one at a time? :laughing:

Actually it was a from a friend of mine. He in notorious for really bad gifts. That year he just said he hadn't had time to pick something up so he went through his pantry.
And honestly, I HATE black olives. If it had been GREEN olives I could have drank the juice.

This year he gave me some 3 pack of bad chick flick movies. Mind you, I had already told him exactly what he could get me when he asked (and it would have come out cheaper). I think his new nickname will be BAD-PRESENT MAN and his costume will be made up of olive can wrappers and gold lame ribbon.

tinkerbellmagic
09-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Two of my husband's most memorable gifts he received as a letter carrier, were:

a) a crocheted nose warmer from a sweet little old lady on his mail route - (it resembled a tiny g-string, only for your nose!) - when she asked him why he wasn't wearing it out in the bitter cold, he said he lost it (to spare her feelings) so she crocheted him another one!

b) one of his patrons gave him a bar of soap with an image of a fully clothed hot chic. Each time you shower, a little more of her clothes would magically disappear until after many showers, she was finally nude! I didn't hear him complaining about that one! ;)

Minnie_me
09-06-2008, 01:59 PM
My brother gave us Gladware a few years ago. DD was about 6 at the time, and she yelled, "We already have a ton of this -- we get it at the GROCERY STORE!!" Oops!

My mother goes to church bazaars and buys my girls these old (REALLY old, like 40 years old) dolls that some old lady has cleaned and crocheted a new outfit for. They are always the scariest looking things, but my mom thinks they're "darling"! One year, my 3-year old SOBBED when she opened hers because it was so "scary and ugly". (I'll have to go look for pictures -- I do have them!)

EthansMom
09-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Actually it was a from a friend of mine. He in notorious for really bad gifts. That year he just said he hadn't had time to pick something up so he went through his pantry.
And honestly, I HATE black olives. If it had been GREEN olives I could have drank the juice.

My Mom and her sisters are all in their 50s. For years, Mom has been trying to persuade her 2 sisters that there was no need for them to exchange gifts, but they keep saying, "Oh, no, we HAVE to exchange gifts!" Except they don't even live near each other, so they have to purchase gifts and then ship them to each other.

Mom tries to get nice gifts for $50 or more... Harry and David's baskets or a Vera Bradley purse, etc... She puts a lot of thought and some effort into the gift.

However, one sister consistently gives Mom gifts that are literally pulled out of her pantry (Rice o Roni Noodles and a box of tea, for instance). The other sister sends Mom perfumed lotions or candles. Here's the kicker... Mom is a VERY picky eater and is highly allergic to scented items AND HER SISTERS KNOW THIS!!!!

blackforest
09-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Not weird, but very sad. It was the first Christmas that my DB was divorced. We bought my DMom and me some white embroidered hankies (think the five and dime store). And hankies for my DH and DDad with their initials.

Still makes me cry to think of him picking these out all by himself. Plus, we got nice gifts too!

Karlzmom
09-06-2008, 02:24 PM
The funniest one that I know of was my poor mom...her B-day is Dec 1....she received ONE earring. No, problem, she figured that the other would be arriving on Christmas [they were VERY nice earrings].....nope!:confused3 The matching earring didn't arrive until her B-DAY the FOLLOWING YEAR!

Not sure what's funnier, mom having to keep track of the 1st, or my grandmother having to not lose the 2d one....:lmao:

stephbillalec
09-06-2008, 03:23 PM
b) one of his patrons gave him a bar of soap with an image of a fully clothed hot chic. Each time you shower, a little more of her clothes would magically disappear until after many showers, she was finally nude! I didn't hear him complaining about that one! ;)

:rotfl2:
I just love this thread!

Kriii
09-06-2008, 03:29 PM
This thread is too funny! I told dh I was going to post about the Christmas he bought me a travel toothbrush/toothpaste set and a really ugly pair of earrings that were picked out by my dd then aged 4 (think cheap costume jewelry). He is great in a lot of ways but gift giving isn't one of them! I have since learned to either tell him EXACTLY what I would like or keep my expectations low! Also, my mil (not dear!) gave dd two left hand gloves last Christmas!

natnelliesmom
09-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Did this person maybe think it was for a Baby shower as opposed to a wedding shower??
Odd.
-Sarah

lntsmom
09-06-2008, 05:13 PM
A pet-sized funeral urn.

I'm not kidding. I have a relative who, well, you can never tell if the gift was meant to be offensive or not. At the time I had a very elderly cat and I was concerned about some problems he was having.

When I first opened the package I thought, "A metal ginger jar?" Then I read the insert...which was inside the jar. It stated clearly what the jar was meant to be.

To this day I have no idea whether the giver thought she was acting with foresight or if she had no idea what she'd purchased.

My advice: let folks buy their own funeral urns...even a nasty fruitcake would have been more appreciated!

Kate and Pete
09-06-2008, 06:01 PM
I don't understand how a sister can give all but one sister really nice items, or a grandmother who gives one child a really cool toy and the other some underwear or a parent who has the nerve to give one child sausage and the rest nice electronics.

It seems more like being mean than clueless, I would never have the nerve to do that to someone. Especially at a family gathering with everyone around. I feel so sad for some of these people!

Oh, you mean like the Christmas that my DH got beef jerky (see my other post on this thread) yet again from SMIL, and step-bro got a Bose radio.... :confused3 :rotfl:

CU82
09-06-2008, 07:51 PM
I am about to have an asthma attack laughing so hard:rotfl2:

I got used socks one Christmas from DH's biological mother (whom I've met once, and he has not seen in years). Ugly, used socks.

jennilynn510
09-06-2008, 08:18 PM
This past christmas my BIL/SIL gave me and my DH, a pie mix and a stuffed chicken...we forgot the chicken in my husband's aunt's freezer overnight. When we went to get it the following day, we found out my SIL had already come and picked it up. She decided the pie mix was enough...:eek: We could not belive they would give it to us and then take it away!! My BIL was embarrased his wife had done it...but did not give it back to us or buy us another one. Oh well what can you do???:confused3

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
OMG i cant even continue to read after this one LMAO
the kids are looking at me like i'm a goof
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

roxy83
09-06-2008, 08:29 PM

OMG!!! I have read through each page of these posts chuckling along the way but this one almost made me wet myself...sorry TMI...So many things get lost in translation, don't they?:lmao:

stitchlovestink
09-06-2008, 08:57 PM
Two of my husband's most memorable gifts he received as a letter carrier, were:

a) a crocheted nose warmer from a sweet little old lady on his mail route - (it resembled a tiny g-string, only for your nose!) - when she asked him why he wasn't wearing it out in the bitter cold, he said he lost it (to spare her feelings) so she crocheted him another one!

I think I'd die of laughter if I saw our mail carrier wearing something like that. I wouldn't be any good any more to ever have a reasonable conversation w/ him again! :lmao:

Syrreal
09-06-2008, 09:20 PM
My Mom and her sisters are all in their 50s. For years, Mom has been trying to persuade her 2 sisters that there was no need for them to exchange gifts, but they keep saying, "Oh, no, we HAVE to exchange gifts!" Except they don't even live near each other, so they have to purchase gifts and then ship them to each other.

Mom tries to get nice gifts for $50 or more... Harry and David's baskets or a Vera Bradley purse, etc... She puts a lot of thought and some effort into the gift.

However, one sister consistently gives Mom gifts that are literally pulled out of her pantry (Rice o Roni Noodles and a box of tea, for instance). The other sister sends Mom perfumed lotions or candles. Here's the kicker... Mom is a VERY picky eater and is highly allergic to scented items AND HER SISTERS KNOW THIS!!!!

Hmmm, they might be relatives of my friend...who also knew that I hate black olives. He actually told me it was between the olives and a can of corn. I would could at least make something with the corn.

Dr.Girlfriend
09-06-2008, 09:21 PM
I had my baby shower two weeks ago. My MIL told me ahead of time that her very good friend had this "amazing" gift for the baby and that her friend kept saying that it would be the best of the shower.

Behold the baby gift:
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/stepharoonie2006/DSC00136.jpg

Now, the picture simply does not do this item justice. The box is well worn and the straps had a chew mark on one side. We Googled the item (you can't find it online anywhere, not even eBay) and finally noticed on the side of the box that it was from the CBS Corporation...which went out of business in the late 70's, early 80's. My husband and I figured that this was a toy that belonged to the woman's son, and it sat in the house until our baby shower.

Sorry, I can't put this item in my son's crib. It looks like it would kill him. My husband thought it was an adult toy when I took it out of the box.

Kate and Pete
09-06-2008, 09:34 PM
Behold the baby gift:

My husband thought it was an adult toy when I took it out of the box.

:rotfl: REALLY? Um...I'm not even going to ask how he thought THAT worked! :lmao: :lmao:

pigget74
09-06-2008, 09:44 PM
:rotfl: REALLY? Um...I'm not even going to ask how he thought THAT worked! :lmao: :lmao:

:lmao: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :worship:

Shelly F - Ohio
09-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Noticed that most of these post refer to MIL. I am just glad I am not the only one who has a crazy MIL..

zaneymax
09-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Okay! Now that I'm wheezing from laughing so hard, I need to share some of our craziest presents ever!

When I was young, I used to love the TV show "Mork and Mindy". My sister and I even had the rainbow striped suspenders that Mork wore on the show. Flashforward about 15 years and for Christmas my god-father gave me a pair of rainbow striped suspenders for Christmas! WTH? He hadn't given me a gift for years and where did that one come from? My DH still likes to tease me about that one! :lmao:

Also, we got some of the craziest wedding gifts. My aunt gave us a Polaroid camera which was supposed to come with film. Low and behold, the film case was there, but my aunt had used all of the film up, then wrapped it for our gift! :rotfl2:

My cousin and his wife (who got married a few months before us) wrapped a small mason jar filled with potpourri and tied with a small doiley up as our wedding gift. We gave them cash! What, did they think the potpourri would cover the stench of their rotten gift? :confused3

I know that it's supposed to be the thought that counts, but what were their thoughts? :rolleyes1

-Gina

dznyacct
09-06-2008, 10:26 PM
One year (after I had been dating my now DH for ~ 4 years) I had "the sock Christmas". We were at his parents opening gifts and my gift...... ONE PAIR OF SOCKS?!?!??!?!??! It was really awkward and weird. They liked me and everything, so I don't know what was up. My DH and his brothers received several gifts so it wasn't that money was a factor. We still laugh about it :).

amandaraye
09-06-2008, 10:33 PM
Hey, hey now...let's stop knocking mothers-in-law ok? Mine is great! She gives me one (small) box of Junior Mints every year for Christmas. once she even gave them to me in a used drinking glass!:lmao:

THE HAT
09-06-2008, 10:47 PM
One Christmas my Pepere gave me an avacado green padded toilet seat.....I was 7......my Memere gave me days of the week undies.....a theme I guess??

IDoDis
09-06-2008, 10:52 PM
Last year my mom gave this to my 11 year old DD for Christmas:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/streamlight-trident-ul-led-headlamps-61049.html

She said it was for DD to take with her on their (my mom and DD's) trip to Mexico (they went this summer). DD was to wear it when she had to get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. :lmao:

natnelliesmom
09-06-2008, 10:54 PM
It's always the MIL!! I have a scary one too. She once gave me a green sweatshirt that she picked up at a local boutique store. It had been cut down the front and made into a cardigan with 4 inch wooden frogs as buttons. It was painted with huge lilies and abstract swirls. It was so ugly that when I opened it I just sat there with my mouth hanging open! I had no idea what to say.
It was also a size 3X. I wear a sz 12!!! She's a skinny stick- so she probably thinks that is the size I wear!
The scariest thing is that I brought it back to the boutique a few weeks later- she had paid 89.00 for the thing!!! :confused: :confused: :eek:
I was shocked. The thing is- the other things in that shop were great! Cute wool jackets and hand tooled leather purses. I think I would have loved just about anything else in the store!
I could tell you many more stories about her gifts- but I'm getting too tired to think anymore tonight!!
-Sarah

DumboPrincess
09-06-2008, 11:28 PM
A little background...DH, DSIL & I all went to the same high school. So same alma mater. When DH & I were engaged I lived with his Mom & Dad (& for a short time, his sister. It was for a job promotion to another city, in which they lived.Anyway...)

So the house they lived in was old, like 1920s, and drafty. I wore a lot of sweatshirts in that house to stay warm. So this past Christmas, wrapped in a nice (Gap!) box I recieved...SIL's old HIGH SCHOOL sweatshirt, saved from the Goodwill pile, because she and DMIL remembered I'd "borrowed" the sweatshirt a few times and would appreciate it. Surely I loved the sweatshirt b/c I wore it all the time? Huh?:confused:

mel63
09-07-2008, 12:05 AM
:rotfl:

I am laughing so hard.

Some of the gifts I have received are the GIANT tin of popped popcorn and from my MIL I got a hat, scarf and gloves set with flowers on it. At the time, I had known her over 15 years. In all that time, I have NEVER worn a hat, a scarf or gloves. And I don't like flowery stuff. It looked like someone gave it to her and she re-gifted. If she did buy it, she had to just grab the first thing she saw. My dh and I laughed about it.

swkmom
09-07-2008, 01:11 AM
Usually my MIL gives nice gifts. However, one Christmas she gave DH a $100 gift card to Kohl's then brought out a large wrapped package for me. I opened it and it was a clothes steamer. She said "now you can steam all the clothes for him (DH) that he buys with his gift card!" And, she was serious it wasn't a joke. :lmao:

Also, last Christmas she gives me two boxes with nice sweaters from a nice women's clothing store. She tells me that her employers bought them for her but they weren't her style and they have gift receipts so if I want to return them and get the store credit I can! I really didn't know what to say then. :confused:

megan4777
09-07-2008, 03:59 AM
I had my baby shower two weeks ago. My MIL told me ahead of time that her very good friend had this "amazing" gift for the baby and that her friend kept saying that it would be the best of the shower.

Behold the baby gift:

Now, the picture simply does not do this item justice. The box is well worn and the straps had a chew mark on one side. We Googled the item (you can't find it online anywhere, not even eBay) and finally noticed on the side of the box that it was from the CBS Corporation...which went out of business in the late 70's, early 80's. My husband and I figured that this was a toy that belonged to the woman's son, and it sat in the house until our baby shower.

Sorry, I can't put this item in my son's crib. It looks like it would kill him. My husband thought it was an adult toy when I took it out of the box.

That's NOT a toy....that's the "baby activator." Without this contraption, your baby will not work. :rotfl2: I am laughing so hard at, "baby activator," I can't see straight.

Why on Earth would someone even keep that? Actually, I just answered my own question by remembering that my DMIL kept the cast that my DH wore when he broke his arm when he was 5 (30 yrs ago) and made sure we didn't forget it when we got married. :eek:

it's kelly
09-07-2008, 07:30 AM
For my 21st birthday I got bubbles. A whole gallon of bubble liquid, but I never even got the stick to blow them! :rotfl:

Martha7
09-07-2008, 09:07 AM
OMG, this thread has me crying with laughter! Thank you all so much!!! :worship:

WDWBarb
09-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Mine all come from DH ... I'm happy to say these all happened long ago and he's gotten way better ;)

For Mother's Day, he got me a book of stamps. Seriously. When I asked him why he got me stamps he said, "Well, you're always asking me if I have any?"

:rotfl2:

For my birthday he brought home a nice alarm clock that played CD's. I'd say he brought it for me but... it went like this:

DH: "I bought you this nice new alarm clock, it plays CD's."

Me: "But you bought me an alarm clock just last week? It doesn't play CD's but it's fine for me?"

DH: "Right, I realized that just after I bought it and I need a new alarm clock so don't worry, it's ok - I'll use it."

For several years for Christmas he would buy me a season of The Golden Girls on DVD. Ok, I've like.. seen the show, usually on a lazy Sunday afternoon when nothing else is on. But I'm in my thirties and I hardly remember this show. It's amusing, sure... but....? :rotfl2:

Dr.Girlfriend
09-07-2008, 10:26 AM
For our wedding, one of my friends gave us a set of those decorative cheese knives.

Inside of the cheese knife box was a card giving congrats....on THEIR wedding. Niiiiiiiiiiice.

TiggerTails57
09-07-2008, 11:04 AM
For our wedding, one of my friends gave us a set of those decorative cheese knives.

Inside of the cheese knife box was a card giving congrats....on THEIR wedding. Niiiiiiiiiiice.

Now, that's a 'cheesy' gift!!:rotfl2: :worship: :lmao:

tiggger1
09-07-2008, 11:54 AM
At my cousin's wedding, they had the disposable cameras for the guests to take pictures with on each table. After the wedding, my aunt went to gather them and noticed her uncle ( he was a photographer) putting them in a bagl...she asked what he was doing and he said he was going to develop them for them....a few weeks after the wedding, he stops by and asks for $150 for the cost of developing the film.. They were shocked but wrote out a check..When he dropped the pictures by the next day, she went through them and found the receipt.. she found out that he paid 2 copies of each photo but kept the second set...and overcharged her by $50..Then preceded to try to sell them for $1 a piece to the people in the pictures...My Aunt was pissed and mentioned it to her mom ( the uncle's sister) she called up and yelled at him and he was upset that they expected him to do it for free and the $50 was for gas.....to drive to and from the wedding...

this is the same family that tried to take all of our clambake supplies after my grandmother died because they didnt think we would want it anymore....heck there are 3 kids, 10 ADULT grandkids and 8 great grandkids and someone wouldnt want 4 huge tables, 30 folding chairs, and 6 copper pots and all the serving utensils?

figment52
09-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Maybe its a tradition with her family? I have gotten (among other things) a bag of M&Ms every year from my parents (42 bags!) I've continued the tradition and my kids get a bag every year now also. :thumbsup2

Have to admit I would rather have M&Ms than Twizzlers LOL

An old co-worker and I exchanged M&M's and M&M gifts for birthdays and Christmas every year for over twenty years after I moved several hundred miles away. We used to have to do a monthy report by a certain day and often times didn't get the reports from the DP/IT center until the morning the report was due so M&M's were our lunch. Her package from me came the day her son had a friend visiting and the poor boy was confused when she opened the package and her son just told him "I don't get it either but they do it to each other twice a year". I still have most of the non-edible stuff though I have regifted a few to people that commented on them.

Anyway - are you related to Sharon from Idaho, Colorado and most recently North Carolina because this could be the origin of your M&M?

Applemomma
09-07-2008, 03:36 PM
Control top pantyhose (she belongs to pantyhose of the month club and had a few hundred extra pair, so she gve me and SIL each a couple).
[/LIST]

There's a "pantyhose of the month club"??!! :eek:

My memorable one was DH's parents giving us a set of dishes they bought at a yard sale and their old dishwasher (when they replaced their's). Doesn't sound too bad until you find out these were our WEDDING presents!!

18 years and still trying not to be bitter......:angel:

pandora174
09-07-2008, 05:04 PM
The cheapest my sister. She got me some scary looking figurine with the McCrory price tag underneath $1.99. My DH has gotten the "Free" wallets you get when you used you order from Fingerhut, plastic & another holiday a can of saving cream with the blue plastic razor attached :laughing:

The saddest : when I was 20 my mom passed in Nov & that X-mas my not yet BIL & SIL (known me 4 years) got me a wrapped 12 pack of Corona Beer :sad2: Mind you the year before I got pearl earrings ?

The tackiest : My other sister sent me Christmas mugs 2 weeks "after" Christmas & my DH (used shirts someone gave that were in "excellent condition") & my DS a toy train set that broke when I opened it. No thought whatsoever. Not the cost but lack of thought that bugs me :confused:

The worst : Nothing, my brother sent nothing for my DS 5th birthday party or X-mas, he was working...

Kriii
09-07-2008, 10:13 PM
I already posted but just remembered another funny gift. dsil and ex-bil gave dh and I a tin of nice homeade cookies for Christmas one year which is fine but then ex-bil tells us that the gift was given to HIM and just re-gifted! A nice guy but he had some overly-frugal ways! I am really cracking up at this thread!:rotfl2:

barkley
09-08-2008, 04:44 AM
not the craziest-but maybe the craziest presentation. when i was around 5 or 6 we were visiting my mom's best friend (we called her 'auntie'). auntie takes me into her bedroom and shows me a hope chest filled with beautiful pillowcases, all with hand edged lace and embroidering. she proceeds to tell me to choose the pattern i like because her tradition is to have little girls do this and when they become engaged someday she will gift them with the set in that pattern. o.k.-even at that young an age i thought it was pretty neat (i picked the ones with fawns because the reminded me of 'bambi'). years go by and i forgot all about the pillow cases, apparantly auntie did'nt-when i was around 28 and no closer to becoming engaged than i had been any other time she asked my mother about it a package arrived one day in the mail for me. inside the box was the lovely set of pillow cases with a short note that read "i give up":eek: :lmao: :lmao:

TNKBELL
09-08-2008, 06:28 AM
One Christmas my DH and I received a card from MIL along with a check for $100 with a little sticky note attached that read $75 for Dh and $25 for me.

When Dh and I were dating, I almost passed out when he arrived at my apartment with a little bundle of flowers, he had never given me anything before, I was so happy, and while I arranged them in a vase, he told me he
found them discarded lying in the parking lot at work. Ummm. I guess it's the thought that counts!!!;)

My DB last year sent us a box of samples he had been collecting over the year along with some medical supplies(he is a medical supply clerk) I was at a loss as to what to do with plastic rubber tubing and a plastic urinal/bedpan??? The crazy thing is that he paid $38 in shipping charges to mail it to us!:eek:

patsal
09-08-2008, 07:48 AM

I am laughing so hard I have tears rolling down my face. This is so something my great aunt would have/could have done. When my husband and I were dating she would say what are your plans for the day--just going to make love? Umm...err...not quite! She would give us $5.00 for holidays and tell us to be careful and not spend it all in one place. I would love to see the faces your new realtives make the first time they read that card!

Christmas-in-Disney
09-08-2008, 08:04 AM
These are hilarious! :rotfl2:

Makes me appreciate my family! I mean even the brightly colored tube socks my DH got from my Grandma one year pales incomparison to some of these! (And I'm not even done reading them yet)

The 2 funniest I know weren't actually MY experiences but...

My SIL got a photo frame as a wedding gift, it had been re-gifted...no biggie...BUT you should at least not re-gift something that had been personalized! Yep, when she opened it, it had her friends' name on it and a check for $50 (made out to the friends) !!! They had a good laugh over it. The friend had gotten so many frames as wedding gifts, she never even opened all of them out of the boxes!

And my other SIL got an interesting gift from her BIL. He took things from her house...frames, candles etc...and wrapped them and gave them (back) to her! It was a joke, but she didn't know what to say!

eclairemom
09-08-2008, 08:41 AM
I forgot about this one because the present wasn't for me. When DH and I got married, HE got a card with a check in it from his Aunt. The card said for him to go out and get something HE wanted with the money and not to share with me. NICE:confused3

Matt'sMom
09-08-2008, 09:04 AM
Gotta love MIL gifts. What are they thinking? :rotfl:

My MIL gave me an ironing board cover for Christmas last year. Problem is, I don't even own an ironing board. Maybe she was trying to imply that I need to iron clothes more frequently? :idea:

She also bought DH flannel pj bottoms for at least three or four years in a row. DH does not wear pjs to bed, or even while lounging around the house, and never has. We returned or exchanged them each year, after explaining to DMIL that while he appreciated the gift, DH simply doesn't wear pjs. The following Christmas, what does she buy him yet again??? :confused3

The best one, though, was the t-shirt she bought for my tweenage DS. DS is a very conservative dresser, and does not usually wear t-shirts with any sort of design on them (unless it is a boyscout class 'B'/camp shirt, or something with his school logo on it). Well, my MIL gave him a tee with a somewhat 'questionable' design on it--one that would probably be considered inappropriate according to his school's dress code standards. It showed two little monkeys in a tree. Problem is that one of the monkeys was quite obviously passing gas, and the other was holding his nose as he was overcome by the fumes and fell from the tree. Cute, huh? Needless to say, DS never wore that shirt (I was too embarassed to even donate it to Good Will, so it was cut up & used as 'cleaning rags' out in the garage). :rolleyes:

I know she means well... but really wish she would just stop and think about the person she is selecting a gift for, before wasting her money on something that may be totally inappropriate. :hug:

Christmas-in-Disney
09-08-2008, 09:15 AM
I just finished reading every last one of these and y'all made my day! :lmao:

CinRell
09-08-2008, 04:31 PM
When DH and I arrived at our wedding reception I noticed one of my dad's best friends and also first police partner standing in a corner with his back turned doing something. :confused3 I knew it was wierd and it peaked my curiosity but something distracted me and it was quickly forgotten. When we finally got a chance to sit down I was shocked to see a goldfish bowl with two goldfish in front of our place settings. It did'nt take long to figure out what was going on in the corner. He had to get the fish out of the bags into the bowl, etc. The photographer had seen it and took some amazing pictures of the fish/bowl on the table surrounded by our floral table centerpiece. :) In fairness, I have to say this was not our only gift, just an extra, I had worked in a pet shop for over 13 years, he knew we had quite a few aquariums and were animal crazy and when I was a little girl I used to love going to his house because he breed fish and I was almost always allowed to pick out a couple of fish to bring home for our tanks. So... the gift actually had a lot of sentimental value for many reasons - but a whole lot of our guests just assumed he was nuts! 8 years later and we still have those two fish, they just would no longer fit in a bowl and are quite happy in their 38 gallon tank!

I think this is the sweetest gift!! :lovestruc

d1gitman
09-08-2008, 04:52 PM

that is priceless...i love that story...then again if it weren't for the fact that she is 101, i might think she is a cheap @$$ B. Wonder what she was like when she was young, whether or not she was that way back then...

MickeyMomOfThree
09-08-2008, 10:07 PM
My husband and I were reading this and he wanted me to add this one. When he was in the Gulf War, a friend of his got a care package from home. Inside it, among other things, were feminine products with a note saying he could use them to get in with the girls. Not sure how that would have worked anyway, but they were an all male unit.

autumnsmommy
09-08-2008, 10:34 PM
I forgot some of the gifts MIL has given DD. DD was the first grandchild, all through pregnancy MIL told me I better be having a boy. We told her several times the sonogram said girl. Everytime she saw me she would say "you know, I only want a grandSON, no girls so that sonogram just better be wrong"

It wasn't. DD has been a girly girl from the get go! Always wanted the pinkest frilliest dresses she could see. MIL always bought her blue or green pant sets.

One year for Christmas MIL bought DD2 a tractor. She kept saying tomboys all needed tractors. whatever!

Another year for Valentines Day she bought DD a jeans outfit, jeans, jean jacket and blue shirt. MIL always buys things 5X to big saying "they'll grow into it". By this time I had my DS. DD opens her jeans and says "Oh here you go brother, this is for you it is a boys outfit". MIL said oh no girls wear jeans. DD (4 at the time) said "well some girls do but you should know by now I do NOT, I ONLY wear dresses".

She has finally started buying her skirts! They are usually jeans or dark colors but atleast they are skirts.

If I didn't know my sister was in Virginia, I would swear you were her. Sis sonagram said def. girl, MIL buys all boy things for shower...:mad:

autumnsmommy
09-08-2008, 11:02 PM
One Christmas my step siblings all got presents from stepmom from Rent-a-Center. TV, boombox, and VCR for HER kids. I got my usual , nothing, since I was at college (and no financial help at all from either parent) I did feel a bit better when the presents were repo'd shortly after Christmas. :santa:

Narnia
09-09-2008, 12:25 AM

My dh's grandma always gives my mil a cn. I'm still lost at the second hand toys for the kids and at mt dh's cousins baby shower!

Narnia
09-09-2008, 01:19 AM
I really don't "get" dh's family they all have a lot of $$ but are really cheap. They didn't even get my DD anything for christmas she was 2 but she was forgotten about the year before!! My bil's wife came over and was talking about how she needed to buy her nephews gifts but hasn't bought my kids anything. They showed up to a large 1 year bday party(dd was not doing too well health wise) w/o a card(dh's whole family did this!)..They didn't even think of praying for her! I was talking to my mil about how she tested positive for muscular dystrophy and how she is will be needing a wheelchair in the future she was " but DS didn't have problems until he was a teen"( he has md too and is pritty bad right now) but my DD could barely hold her head up at a year! I just give up on family. Haha I am giving gifts I got on sale really cheap this year though they were expensive to begin with:snooty:

Todd&Copper
09-09-2008, 06:35 AM
My husband and I were reading this and he wanted me to add this one. When he was in the Gulf War, a friend of his got a care package from home. Inside it, among other things, were feminine products with a note saying he could use them to get in with the girls. Not sure how that would have worked anyway, but they were an all male unit.

Even if there were ladies, how many would fall for this pick-up line:

Hey, baby, next time it is your "time of the month" stop by my tent and check out my tampons.

:lmao:

RMulieri
09-09-2008, 07:16 AM
Lets see I need to stop laughing or i will pee myself...Anyway, My mom got an ugly,dollar store Pickle dish(kid you not)from her boss for Xmas, and regifted it to me.My MIL usually gets me something I want so I can't complain there.The only bad gift from her that we still crack up about was the first year Dh and I were dating she bought me this hidieous xl elastic waist pants outfit( I wear a size 8 so these were HUGE) they were polyester 1970,s pants.I stopped participating in the annual family xmas grab bag.The item amt is supposed to be a $50 present.i always spend that amt, and have gotten.on 3 separate christmases...a talking bass plaque,a bunch of hand towels with dollar general tags, and a picture fram with a 4.99 price tag left on it..

yoursis
09-09-2008, 09:32 AM
My stepmother always buys my SIL and I the craziest polyester pant suits and dresses for Christmas. We have decided to make a game of it by giving each outfit a title. She has a hot pink mini-dress she calls "70's Stewardess" and I have a red blazer and black pleated mini skirt I call "Rent-a-Car Agent". I got a clingy animal print pant suit that I call "Jungle Love". We threaten our husbands by saying the next time we get together in Florida that we are going to wear all of the oufits we have collected over the years. So if you see two forty-something women in bright stretch polyester outfits followed by embarrassed looking husbands at Disney World, stop and say hello!:rotfl:

yoursis
09-09-2008, 09:32 AM
sorry, double post

pigget74
09-09-2008, 10:47 AM
One Christmas my step siblings all got presents from stepmom from Rent-a-Center. TV, boombox, and VCR for HER kids. I got my usual , nothing, since I was at college (and no financial help at all from either parent) I did feel a bit better when the presents were repo'd shortly after Christmas. :santa:

plummer925
09-09-2008, 01:15 PM
I'm afraid my story is going to sound selfish...It's not meant to be, but just showing the way my family thinks...

My mother and step father were dating (very seriously). for Christmas he bought his daughters each a brand new 4-wheeler (he's wealthy) - about $8000 each. I'm 1/2 way between their ages. My brother, who was 12, got a brand new go-cart ($2500), his grandchildren (3 of them) each got kiddie go-carts (about $500 each), and I got......a bread maker.

I have to admit, I'm still a bit hurt about it...

pixiewings71
09-09-2008, 01:35 PM
My stepmother always buys my SIL and I the craziest polyester pant suits and dresses for Christmas. We have decided to make a game of it by giving each outfit a title. She has a hot pink mini-dress she calls "70's Stewardess" and I have a red blazer and black pleated mini skirt I call "Rent-a-Car Agent". I got a clingy animal print pant suit that I call "Jungle Love". We threaten our husbands by saying the next time we get together in Florida that we are going to wear all of the oufits we have collected over the years. So if you see two forty-something women in bright stretch polyester outfits followed by embarrassed looking husbands at Disney World, stop and say hello!:rotfl:

OMG!!! These crack me up!!! They make me happy the my DBF's Mom isn't quite so clueless. :) I love this one though, yoursis, you guys both have Halloween costumes for the next how many years? LOL Too funny!!! I really don't have a story, I just crack up when I read these. :)

mrsbert
09-10-2008, 08:39 PM
my DH step-mil always, always, always regifts. It's one constant in our crazy lives. She is a preschool teacher and I always get her lotions, bubble bath, note pads, note cards, etc that she gets as gifts. On more than one occassion DH & I have mentioned that I can't wear fragrances b/c they triger migranes... She still hasn't gotten the hint. One year, I mentioned how I LOVED her Brighton bracelet and that I've wanted one just the same style for awhile. Guess what I got for my birthday???? Yep, the one in the same bracelet wrapped up. I know it was hers b/c 1) she never wears it anymore 2) they don't make that style anymore. I was lmao :lmao: b/c it is so her, but I was very happy with this gift!!!! :banana: better than lotion I can't use any day!!!

Also, this past Christmas, DH gave me a block of cheese in my stocking. :scared1: I must say, he always gives me unusual things in my stocking, but when I put my hand down in there and felt something cold and clammy, I was a lot surprised. he knows how much I love this type of cheese and it's not readily available. He went to several stores to find it and I love him :lovestruc for thinking of me, it was just strange!

Hey wait one minute!!! That's my step-mother you're talking about and she always gets me GREAT gifts.;)

Mickeyorbust
09-12-2008, 03:55 PM
Sad story...My DM borders maliceousness and DDad is just clueless. There's just me and DB, we each have a spouse and at the time one child each. DD14 was 6 the christmas my DM lost her mind! First, she decided that we'd draw names to see who'd open gifts first. Not such a good idea with 2 young kids in the group. Despite trying to reason with her that most parents have no problem letting the children go first, she insisted and won the battle. So out of the 8 people there, 5 had already had their turn, my name comes out of the jar 6th. I offered to let DD have my turn. Up until this point the gifts had been great. DB and DSIL received a $200 gift card for Home Depot and some very nice and expensive decorative items for their house. DDad got a laptop. DM was given a very nice Diamond Ring by DDad and nice gifts from us as well. DN got a very expensive remote control plane and some cash. DD got a tiny 2-inch square porcelain box, which my DM has owned and used for as long as I can remember, with three of DM's used costume rings inside. And, that was it, that's all DD received from DM and DDad. DM's explination was that DD always likes to play with those rings when she comes over. DD didn't cry but it was obvious that she was very hurt by it.

cajunpeach
09-12-2008, 04:26 PM
Hey wait one minute!!! That's my step-mother you're talking about and she always gets me GREAT gifts.;)

She must like you more than me :rolleyes: Wanna trade?

EvMc
09-12-2008, 04:27 PM
My ex-husband got me a set of bathroom scales for Christmas when I was 6 months pregnant! :lmao:

luvtogo12
09-12-2008, 04:52 PM
My ex-husband got me a set of bathroom scales for Christmas when I was 6 months pregnant! :lmao:

A set? As in more than one?

I can see why he is an "EX". :snooty:

HeyIt'sMe
09-12-2008, 05:02 PM
My company participates in "Secret Santa" every year. I remember the first time I participated the first day of secret gift giving the receptionist called me and said I had a gift by the company Christmas tree. I go down to the reception area all excited and looked under the tree. No gift for me. What I did find was one of the company's #10 envelopes shoved IN the tree with my name on it. I opened it and it had a $1 scratch off lottery ticket. OK, not a great gift, but we were told not to spend alot of money on the gifts during the week and I could have won some money (I didn't). But the use of the company envelope was tacky.

So, the next day the receptionist calls me again to let me know there is a gift for me by the Christmas tree. I go down and ..... there is another company #10 envelope shoved in the tree with my name on it. And it has another scratch off lottery ticket. Same kind as the day before.

Guess what I got on Day #3 and Day #4? Yep, the same thing, presented in the same way.

My Secret Santa probably bought 4 lottery tickets on his way to work on Monday and was set for the week. Heck, he could have at least mixed it up and gotten me some beef jerky or a car air freshener! :rotfl:

On the last day we don't exchange secret gifts - we get a nicer gift and present it to the person we picked at the Christmas party. My Secret Santa didn't attend the party but got my gift to me - a snowglobe. Which would have been nice if it didn't leak. :rolleyes:

StillPinballFamily
09-12-2008, 05:06 PM
My Secret Santa probably bought 4 lottery tickets on his way to work on Monday and was set for the week. Heck, he could have at least mixed it up and gotten me some beef jerky or a car air freshener! :rotfl:

What a sport! He was probably someone's EX too!!! :rotfl2:

Mouse House Mama
09-12-2008, 05:13 PM
I'm afraid my story is going to sound selfish...It's not meant to be, but just showing the way my family thinks...

My mother and step father were dating (very seriously). for Christmas he bought his daughters each a brand new 4-wheeler (he's wealthy) - about $8000 each. I'm 1/2 way between their ages. My brother, who was 12, got a brand new go-cart ($2500), his grandchildren (3 of them) each got kiddie go-carts (about $500 each), and I got......a bread maker.I have to admit, I'm still a bit hurt about it...

Maybe he was trying to get a rise out of you?:confused3 :laughing: :cutie:

Sorry but I just couldn't help myself.:angel:

ckoncurat
09-12-2008, 05:19 PM
My MOTHER (who is not destitute) once wrapped up a library book and gave it to my adult sister for christmas. She said "It's the gift that keeps on giving- once you are done reading you can bring it back and get a new book!"