PDA

View Full Version : Costco Fave's????

lukenick1
09-04-2008, 07:13 AM
What do you like to buy at Costco for food??? Someone told me that they have awesome frozen salmon burgers. I'd like to try more of their frozen stuff. The only thing I ever buy there are the sirloin steaks, bagels, and somtimes a rotisserie Chicken.

piratemamaof3
09-04-2008, 07:47 AM
kind of varries, we usually get the kids juice boxes there and the lunch chips. I check coupons b/c have gotten some great b1g1 free deals there. I am just now running out of dish washer tabs from about 1 1/2 yrs ago on one of those deals. The meat just varries on what is there and on sale.
I like that the fz veggies are in smaller packs. WE got some chopped onions, and pepper (green and red) that came in 3 smaller bags. That way they don't get freezer burn and so much cheaper than buying fresh (we cook w/ them)

H.E. Pennypacker
09-04-2008, 08:31 AM
We like the big bags of frozen chicken breasts, the smaller frozen chicken tenderloins, the frozen salmon steaks (both the farm raised and the wild Alaskan.) All make for a quick, easy meal. Tried the frozen tuna steaks once but we weren't too crazy about them. For an occasional indulgence, we really like their 4-packs of fresh ribeye steaks. There are only 2 of us, so we grill up 2 right away and seal and freeze the other two for later. At about $6 per steak, it's much better meat for a lot less money than the local supermarket. For fresh veggies, we get the 5-packs of romaine lettuce, the seedless baby cucumbers, and occasionally a variety pack of the smaller red and yellow peppers. I also really like their big restaurant quality baking potatoes, but it's something like a 10 or 20 lb. bag of them and two people just can't eat that many baked potatoes before they go bad. I also get my coffee there - Papa Nicholas Hawaiian Islands Blend. A nice smooth, low acidity coffee that doesn't upset my stomach like the darker roasts. The worst food item I ever bought there was the Martha Stewart Crumini Mushroom soup. Absolutely awful!

bubba
09-04-2008, 09:17 AM
We don't buy much in the way of food there. Just don't find the prices all that great here in Canada, anyway. There are a couple items I get frequently though - the name has gone right out of my head, but it's a bag of triangular shaped buns from the bakery dept. Ciabatta buns, maybe ? Anyway, it's about $4 for a huge bag and they're delicious ! I also get the huge bag of veggie chips - in the aisle with potato chips etc. They are so good ! The small bags in the grocery story are about $3.50 but I can get a huge bag (probably 4 times as big as a small bag) for less than $5. What I really go to Costco for is the books. I can always find great prices on books I'm interested in and ones for the kids too. Last time I was in there, I got a set of 3 of the classic Hardy Boys books for my 5 yo son (he's an advanced reader) for $7.

Juliegirl1
09-04-2008, 09:34 AM
I do a lot of shopping at Costco but it's only my son and myself so I have to repackage a lot of the things I buy. I love to buy the beef tenderloins (usually about $60 for one) take it home and cut it up for steaks, a roast and beef tips. The last one I got I was able to make 15 steaks, one roast and a package of beef tips. It's an awesome deal for me especially since my son loves steak. I also like to buy a shrimp wonton soup in the freezer section - I can't remember what brand it is but I love taking them for lunch to work.

The cakes are great deals for little league and birthday parties - large cakes and they decorate them very nicely for only about $15-20.

I buy fruit and sometimes the soups in the non frozen deli case. I also love to catch their seafood sales and will stock up on shrimp and crab then.

I also like how the chicken breasts are packaged vacuum packed two to a section. I throw the whole thing in the freezer and only defrost a section at a time. They never get freezer burn because they are vacuum packed. I also will buy huge things of ground beef and divide them into more manageable packages for me.

Also non food related I love their clothes for both myself and my kiddo and buy a lot of pharmacy items including vitamins, sleeping aids and even makeup there.

Mau Loa Disney
09-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Sorry to intrude on your post, but Does anyone know if they have alot of "organic" products? Do they have more than Sams?

faindrops27
09-04-2008, 09:43 AM
I go for the fozen burgers in the sleeve. We have a family of five. I can make 6 or 7 meals out of them.

I also get the tyson bbq honey wings. I get the burger buns, very cheap. Roasted chicken. I get the big pizza to go for pizza night. Fruits, and veggies. There is so much yumminess in costco. But, like another poster pointed out. The prices really add up fast. I never leave costco spending under 150. For just a couple of items.

branv
09-04-2008, 10:04 AM
My faves and prices (noting that pricing is regional):

I like their 2 lb. frozen, raw/tail-on 31-40 shrimp for around $11.89. It doesn't have that chemical preservative (can't remember the name) that other frozen shrimp have either. I know sometimes there are sales on "fresh" shrimp at our local groceries (I say "fresh" b/c they're still previously frozen) for a hair cheaper a pound, but it would cost me the difference in gas to go pick it up rather than just having it on hand ;) and I'd have to eat it that night since you really don't want to refreeze "previously frozen" seafood. I love the convenience.

I used to like Costco's frozen ground beef, 91/9 (before anyone says anything about beef chubs, these are the same beef that you buy fresh in the meat section). But they just took a HUGE, seemingly overnight, jump in price from around $2.10/lb to about $2.80/lb :eek: I'll definitely be looking for grocery sales from now on, though I really, really hate having to vacu-pack ;)

I like their large container of feta for around $4 (as opposed to $2.99 for that tiny Athenos container you pay at the store). In fact, I have a great shrimp pasta & feta recipe that I can use my Costco faves for ;)

When I want Hebrew National beef hot dogs (can't stand the cheaper "melange" hot dogs), I buy them in bulk at Costco. At my grocery store they're $3.50/pkg, at Costco it's 4 packs which come to about $2.50 each. Just toss them in a freezer, pull out a pack at a time to store in the lunch meat bin.

Pork tenderloins, four to a package (2 sealed packages with 2 tenderloins in each). $2.99/lb. Not seasoned (gack, can't stand the taste of the package marinated tenderloins!)

Large, yummy rotisserie chicken for a quick dinner; HUGE pizza for $10; gallon milk for $3.29; frozen bags of chicken; Ozarka bottled water -- 35-count for $4.29; Kirkland Scent/Dye free detergent; great wine prices; good prices on organic canned tomatoes, all varieties; good whole pineapples for about $3. In our area, we're also lucky enough to get 2 lb. bags of Ruta Maya coffee beans for the same price it costs for 1 lb. in other stores :scared1: And of course, you can't forget the cakes :thumbsup2 Oh yes, and at Christmas time they have really neat gift-baskets for a steal. Great for those business gifts or the "oh god, ---- is coming to visit/having a party/gave-me-a-gift-unexpectedly"

branv
09-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Sorry to intrude on your post, but Does anyone know if they have alot of "organic" products? Do they have more than Sams?

I've seen organic chicken breasts, organic ground beef (buffalo), organic canned tomatoes, organic milk (3 pack). And I can't remember if it's organic, but I know ours carries free-trade coffees. I'm sure they have other types, I probably haven't looked closely enough since I tend to go to Costco for very specific items vs. browsing.

lukenick1
09-04-2008, 11:18 AM
branv......

I'd love your pasta, feta, shrimp recipe!!!

dismom24
09-04-2008, 11:36 AM
The cakes at Costco are wonderful. They are 2 layers, filled (chocolate mousse is yummy) and feed about 48 for $16.99. I had a special order for graduation / going away and they did a wonderful job.
We tried the turkey burgers the other night and they were pretty good - they need to be seasoned, but are all white meat so a great healthy quick dinner from the grill.
The apples are a huge hit with my kids. I love the way they are packaged, so you can see them all. They were giving out samples of their ice cream with brownies on top last week and it was wonderful.
My Dh and kids love the lobster dip.
My son loves the pancake blaster. It cracks me up (panckaes in a can), but is healthy.
We usually try the samples and end up with something new every visit.

branv
09-04-2008, 03:38 PM
branv......

I'd love your pasta, feta, shrimp recipe!!!

Sure thing! You'll note that there are several options for this recipe ;) This sauce is hearty and really sticks to the pasta, so a little goes a long way.

*1 pkg. linguini
*1 lb shrimp (I've used less, depending on how many I'm feeding and how much shrimp I've got; I've also used chicken ;) )
*1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper or 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
*1/4 c. olive oil
*2/3 cup crumbled feta (or more to taste)
*1/2 tsp. crushed garlic
*1/2 tsp. garlic powder
* 1 - 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
*1/4 c. white wine (or red wine for a deeper flavor)
*3/4 tsp. basil
*1/2 tsp. oregano
*1/4 tsp. salt
*1/4 tsp. pepper

Cook linguini, drain. Peel and devein shrimp. Cook shrimp in 2 tbsp olive oil and cayenne/red pepper over medium heat, stirring constantly until pink. Arrange in 8x8 baking dish; sprinkle with feta cheese. Add remaining oil to skillet. Add garlic; cook until tender. Add tomatoes, cook 1 minute. Stir in wine and rest of ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon over shrimp. Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, stir to incorporate shrimp, cheese and sauce. Serve over pasta.

merekc
09-04-2008, 04:52 PM
I have both Sam's and Costco.

Items I go to Costco for.
orchard select peaches, basalmic vinegar, pudding cups (Costco's are choc and choc/van, Sam's are choc and van), Tomato roasted red pepper soup, Christmas toys, itunes gift cards, potstickers, spinach ravioli, chicken breasts (in the individual packets)

Hate their milk jugs.

mary0305
09-04-2008, 08:16 PM
I always use their bakery for birthday cakes. Their chocolate layer cake with chocolate shavings around the outside is fabulous!!!!

gerberdaisy1234
09-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by Mau Loa Disney
Sorry to intrude on your post, but Does anyone know if they have a lot of "organic" products? Do they have more than Sams?

I like NAture's Path Toaster Pastries, cereals,etc at costco, they also have organic pasta, lots of organic fresh fruits and veggies, organic meats, organic juices.:hippie:

Cheapest place to buy bottled water (Kirkland) or gallons of deer park water.:thumbsup2

Cheapest place to buy medication ex. KIrkland brand equiv. to 25 mg tabs Benadryl 400 count @ $3!:cloud9:

DH got jeans today for 12.99:cool1:

Indiv. Frozen seasoned salmon and tilapia- YUm YUM:yay: :yay:

Special treat once a month filet mignon - costco has one of the best cuts i have found.:cheer2:

Splenda- buy the bags as well as the 1000 packet box. (Why do I buy organic and Splenda? We all have to start somewhere.):flower3:

They have great cheeses. There is a nice soft Asiago blend-can not remember name- but extra yummy.:woohoo:

Of course you save on buying lunch by eating all the free samples just stop and get a 59 cent lemonade to wash it down. LOLpopcorn::

I could go on and on - You don't want to know how much by 2% rebate check is!:scared1:

karinbelle
09-04-2008, 09:43 PM
DS LOVES potstickers! It's his favorite food. We are, however, a multicultural family. There's a lot of cabbage in these.

We also love the Chicken Taquitos (but it looks as though they might be discontinuing the brand we always buy - BOO!)

Recently, I have found the frozen mixed fruit a great buy. I'm making smoothies out of them with yogurt and honey for breakfast. My students want my recipe LOL. My kids are now getting more fruit - with less waste. The bag is about $9 here.

We buy milk at Costco. And we buy the vanilla Kirkland Soy Milk. It is shelf stable and everyone loves it!

Ariel on Land
09-04-2008, 09:59 PM
we love their premade, ready to put in the oven meals like enchiladas, stuffed salmon, etc... So easy, and quite good. We also buy a lot of the basics- cheerios (w/ two 17 month olds, we go through a LOT of cheerios!! :rotfl2: ) milk, canned fruit, Starbucks frappucinos, their fresh fish is also usually a really good deal. The only thing I don't like is while I KNOW it's cheaper in the long run, the bill is always so HIGH! :eek: We also love them for diapers, wipes, baby clothes, vitamins, OTC meds, and the like! :thumbsup2

fairykin
09-04-2008, 10:25 PM
Karinbelle, Will you share your smoothie recipe, Pleassssssssssse!:goodvibes

We have just gotten into smoothies and Love them.

On sunday at Costco we bought Dannon smoothie freezer packs. About 8 packs in one big bag.. it says to add milk but i add the Acai juice and 1/2 a peach, it's so delicious. One pack serves 2 generously.

But I was wanting to make my own. So I hope I can get Karinbelle's recipe.

Let's see at Costco.. we buy, yogurt, cheeses, the PEACHES mmmmmmmmmm Yummy, Canned goods, some great gluten free snacks, Big packages of animal crackers, olive oil and wonderful Balsamic vinegar.

Also their Rotissarie Chickens are very good. And their Chicken Salad Crossants with red grapes in them, delicious and i'm very pickey about things like that.

Costco also has good pre made hummus. And a nice artichoke crab dip. We bought some tasty terraki meatballs for a movie night and they went over well.

And last but not least, big bags of frozen fruit.

My husband buys his joint medicine there, it's over the counter and works supper great and costs 15 dollars less for more.

fairykin
09-04-2008, 10:27 PM
Ariel on Land, we also have twinikins.. our grandchildren..they are 4..a little boy and a little girl.
Enjoy Yours!:goodvibes

mrsklamc
09-05-2008, 06:03 AM
We LOVE the goose island root beer our store has. AND, it has no high fructose corn syrup.

mrsklamc
09-05-2008, 06:05 AM
oops. posted to wrong thread

teedisney
09-05-2008, 07:48 AM
Pizza, rotisserie chicken, juice boxes. There coupon deals are reaally good too.

lukenick1
09-05-2008, 08:08 AM
Where are you all getting Costco coupons????

branv
09-05-2008, 10:16 AM
Where are you all getting Costco coupons????

Technically speaking, just being a member should get the coupons mailed to you. But we weren't getting ours b/c we moved and didn't think to update our mailing address with Costco. All we had to do was go to the service counter and update our account. Viola, coupons galore ;) (though I only get about 2-3 useful coupons out of every batch and I find it so annoying to have to wait sometimes a month or so to use it within its valid dates).

luckey-lasvegas
09-05-2008, 10:39 AM
We really like the Kirkland low-sodium bacon. I also use Costco to buy discounted movie theater tickets to use and give as gifts. If you drink Vodka I just learned in a class that Kirkland vodka is Grey Goose in a Kirkland bottle.
We also like their Kirkland surface wipes.

I like costco for clothes books ,and gifts ,around Christmas.

girli565
09-05-2008, 11:33 AM
We really like the Kirkland low-sodium bacon. I also use Costco to buy discounted movie theater tickets to use and give as gifts. If you drink Vodka I just learned in a class that Kirkland vodka is Grey Goose in a Kirkland bottle.
We also like their Kirkland surface wipes.

I like costco for clothes books ,and gifts ,around Christmas.
There's Kirkland Vodka?! Is it in the Liquor Store or in the actual warehouse?

macaronigal
09-05-2008, 11:39 AM
romaine lettuce - best deal around
large decorated cakes - don't buy often but they are great for a crowd
meat - great quality and I love that they give you nice thick plastic bags to put it in...wish regular grocery stores would do that and I wouldn't have to get bags from the produce section!
clothes can be a really great deal but that's where I tend to get off track so I only shop with a list and stay on budget

Poodlebud
09-05-2008, 12:25 PM
We used to buy frozen bagel dogs at Costco. Do they still carry those?

merekc
09-05-2008, 01:03 PM
We also have bought the McCormick and Schmick's gift cards. For $80 you get 2 $50 gift cards and a cookbook.

We've eaten out saving 20% and had a cookbook to give as gifts etc.

mikehn
09-05-2008, 02:42 PM
Kirkland brand lamb and rice dog food, also the gas is like 20 cents cheaper than any other station in town.

sidnu
09-05-2008, 03:01 PM
Great prices on cruises and vacations.:woohoo:

DisneyMomJen
09-05-2008, 03:57 PM
I always use their bakery for birthday cakes. Their chocolate layer cake with chocolate shavings around the outside is fabulous!!!!

We just tried this one for my daughters birthday and it was a hit! Try it with vanilla ice cream!

mamalle
09-05-2008, 04:03 PM
I bought the 20 cupcakes for dd's HM bday party. They were a huge hit. I love the cakes and the muffins from their bakery also. We love the soy ginger dressing and use it to marinate almost everything. My store doesnt always have it so its a bummer when I can find it over in the refrigerated section. we buy all of our meats there. everything is great. As a matter of fact Im making my shopping list for costco right now. ;)

luckey-lasvegas
09-05-2008, 04:10 PM
There's Kirkland Vodka?! Is it in the Liquor Store or in the actual warehouse?

In the warehouse with all the rest of the beer, wine and liquor I would imagine.:confused3

merekc
09-05-2008, 04:14 PM
One more. On our last trip to Disney, we rented two mini-vans through their travel services. We saved $80 per car ($160 total). It would have been worth buying a membership for that much savings.

branv
09-05-2008, 09:11 PM
In the warehouse with all the rest of the beer, wine and liquor I would imagine.:confused3

LOL, I wish our stores were like that. Here in Texas they're not allowed to sell liquor in grocery type stores..i.e. can only sell liquor in liquor stores. Now when I lived in Dallas, they wouldn't even allow the grocery stores to sell beer/wine. Talk about a pain in the you-know-what when you needed wine for a recipe.

Soooo...the Costco's here have a little building to the side, with a separate entrance that sells the liquor.

That being said, the Costco brand champagne is surprisingly good (but still around $20).