PDA

View Full Version : i need a budget chicken recipe

kittychatalot
09-04-2008, 07:12 AM
I need to make some kind of casserole for my church involving chicken and potatoes that is budget. any advice?

lovesmurfs
09-04-2008, 07:15 AM
www.allrecipes.com. Up at the top is a tab called "Ingredients". Type in Chicken and Potatoes and a bunch of stuff comes up:

http://allrecipes.com/Search/Ingredients.aspx?WithTerm=&SearchIn=All&Wanted1=chicken&Wanted2=potatoes

ETA: First page looks like a bunch of soup recipes -- you might want to filter it down some.

kittychatalot
09-04-2008, 07:20 AM
I was hoping for something that maybe involved canned soup.

FormrCastMbr
09-04-2008, 07:39 AM
How about this (and add partially cooked diced potatoes...you can even use canned...if you do add the potatoes, just add a little extra soup):

Bisquick Chicken Pot Pie

1 2/3 cups Green Giant® frozen mixed vegetables
1 cup cut-up cooked chicken
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup
1 cup Original Bisquick® mix
1/2 cup milk
1 egg

1. Heat oven to 400ºF. Mix vegetables, chicken and soup in ungreased glass pie plate, 9x1 1/4 inches.
2. Stir together remaining ingredients with fork until blended. Pour into pie plate.
3. Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown.

*this recipe is 6 servings

Bren's Mom
09-04-2008, 07:46 AM
While not 'technically' a casserole, my favorite 1 dish, very budget chicken recipe that is easy and delicious is for Greek Chicken.

Chicken thighs (skin on)
Chunks of potato and onion
1 8oz bottle italian dressing

Toss the chicken and veggies in the dressing in a large open casserole or baking dish. Turn the thighs so they are skin side up. Roast for 1 hour.

The skin will get really crispy, the chicken is always incredibly moist and the potatoes have great flavor.

wickywinn
09-04-2008, 11:15 AM
I make this quite often and, since it's a casserole, I use canned cooked chicken. I love to cook and, in the past, balked at canned but, in casseroles, it's great!

Cheesy Chicken Enchilada bake:
1 can cooked chicken, drained
1 can cheese soup
1 can cream mushroom (or chicken or celery)
2 cans diced green chiles (they are small cans; very-very mild)
2-3 big handfuls tortilla chips
1 cup shredded colby jack cheese

Spray casserole dish with Pam. Mix all ingredients except cheese in big bowl and pour into casserole dish. Top with shredded cheese. Bake for 20-25 at 325.

Chips don't get as soggy as tortillas in a casserole and they are super easy to just mix in with the rest.

This one's a crowd pleaser too.

wickywinn
09-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Oops, forgot you wanted one with potatoes. I also do a casserole using a bag frozen shoestring potatoes, 2 can cheese soup, 1 cup sour cream, 3-4 Tb butter or margarine, salt/pepper, and diced chicken cooked in 2Tb butter until white. Mix all together and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Bake 25 on 325.

mncherokee
09-04-2008, 11:50 AM
One that is always a hit with my family is what we call 'Curry Chicken'. I have made it a ton of different ways (oven, stove, crockpot)

-Chicken (boneless or bone in)
-Cream of something soup (I usually use chicken... but mushroom or celery works too)
-Water
-Onions (or if you have picky eaters like me... onion salt)
-Salt & Pepper
-Curry Powder

You can make it with potatoes if you like... I have made it with chunks of potatoes (usually in crockpot) and mashed potatoes. My family likes it with rice instead of potatoes too.

You can throw everything together... or brown chicken first and then put the rest together.