PDA

View Full Version : Peticure nail clipper?

Chicago526
09-03-2008, 01:42 PM
I'm sure you've all seen that Peticure nail thingy on tv, it shaves your dogs nail down rather than cliping it. Looks like it might actually work but I wanted to see if anyone here had one and if they liked it before I call the toll free number! We tried clipping my dogs nails ONCE, and my big - brave - tough former EMT husband just about started to cry when we nicked one her quicks and she started to bleed a bit. Between a sqirmy dog and a hysterical hubby, I'm not doing that again if I can avoid it! And it's too long between trips to the groomers to keep them short enough, and I'd hate to make a special trip just for her nails.

Can anyone recomend this, or is it junk? TIA! :wave2:

Newfie2000
09-03-2008, 02:18 PM
I am wondering about the same thing. Have you researched the website yet? I was just about to order one and decided to look it up online and then discovered that the one they show on tv is only for very small breeds - the one for large breeds is a lot more expensive. But... I would still be willing to spend the extra if I knew it was worth it! I also noticed that they sell an attachment on the website that can be used with a low power dremel rather than buying the whole unit. Thanks for asking OP, I am curious what others have to say about this!:goodvibes

dhuba
09-03-2008, 04:21 PM
My local tv station tested this and gave a big thumbs down. They tried in on both cats and dogs.

luv2nascar
09-03-2008, 08:15 PM
I've discussed this at least a couple of times on the dis. My DH purchased it for I think $30 on tv. We love it and have had it about a year I think. It works great. No nicks, no bleeding. Dog doesn't mind at all now. It basically is a battery operated nail file (like a dremel if you know what that is). It does have a plastic thing to catch the nail dust too. Safe, clean, and painless which is the biggest thing. Our dog is a Boston Terrier and about 25# for size comparison. I don't know how great it would work on a really big dog - but I think it would work. Don't be afraid to order it.

2Kds2K9
09-03-2008, 08:39 PM
My question is is it noisy? I think my dogs would freak at the noise.

Thanks!

Karalea
09-04-2008, 07:09 AM
I got this a couple months ago and both my daschunds are terrified of it.:scared1: A total waste of money. If your dogs don't like having their nails cut to begin with, they probably won't like this either.

elgerber
09-04-2008, 07:11 AM
My husband uses his dremel for our dogs nails, it works just fine without buying anything special or expensive.

nilseks
09-04-2008, 07:24 AM
I considered buying it buy researched it online and it got a lot of bad reviews, so I decided to pass, and stick with a Dremel.

I loveStitchnippyjon
09-04-2008, 07:36 AM
My husband uses his dremel for our dogs nails, it works just fine without buying anything special or expensive.

We have been clipping the dogs' nails with the guillotine-type and then smoothing the nails with a Dremel. However, it seems to build up a lot of heat. Anyone else have that problem?

Mad4Mickey
09-04-2008, 07:55 AM
I work in a 24 hour emergency animal hospital , we see lots of accidents from dremels I dont recomend that unless you know what you are doing and do it all the time .

The nail trimmer on tv is junk if it were so great we would have one in all 700 of our clinics : )

Chicago526
09-04-2008, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the feedback, sounds like we'll pass. Guess Missy will just have to take a trip to the groomers in the next week or so!

audrabolster
09-04-2008, 09:16 AM
I was interested in this, and at the advice of my vet we bought a dremel. Then we can also use it for other things. My dog has really thick nails, and the regular dog clippers never ever worked well for him. the dremel was about $50, but is saving me in the long run from vet trips for clipping the nails.

eclairemom
09-04-2008, 09:30 AM
FYI I saw this at Walgreens last night for $20 in the seen on tv section.

donald&daisy
09-04-2008, 10:10 AM
We borrowed one from my Dbf's parents who use it on their Lab. Now their lab just sits there all calm and collected and lets them use it on her. So we borrowed it to try on our Shih Tzu...well to put it lightly he did NOT like it. Now, he will let us clip his fur and I don't think the noise is any worse than the clippers we use, but he is just weird about his feet. I second the advice that if your dog isn't already ok with you handling their feet then stay away...however I do think the product works. YMMV.

rsschneck
09-04-2008, 11:15 AM
I purchased one and received it last week. I have used it twice on my Bichon Frise and she is fine with it. I purchased the most expensive peticure because it had more power. I spent $59.99 plus shipping. The unit has a cord and needs to be plugged in while in use. This unit has 18 V as opposed to the 9 V smaller unit with a re-chargeable battery.

My dog has never liked her nails clipped and acts like it really hurts. When I take her to the groomer she gets very nervous and starts drooling and sometimes pottie's on the floor. I have used the peticure twice. First time for both of us to get used to it and second time to trim the nails a bit more. The instructions say not to be on the nail for more than 3-5 seconds so the nail does not heat up. I figure if we trim a little each week the nails will be short and the dog will not be in any pain.

So far I really like the peticure. It is just like a drummel but I like the safety guard attchment so I don't catch my dog's fur in the tool.

lttlmc3
09-04-2008, 11:25 AM
My father bought one for my dog when he bought one for his. Our dachshund was afraid of the sound at first, but fine when he figured out it wouldn't hurt him. He had looong nails when we did it and it took forever to file them down a good size. I know we wouldn't have bought it on our own, but we will continue to use it.