PDA

View Full Version : ever gonna drink Mc'D's Sweet Tea again

Mickey527
09-02-2008, 08:27 PM
I have to say I love the stuff. I used to always get it as soon as I got into Fl and they finally brought it up here.
I have never made it myself but today decided to try and make some.
I filled the large cup with hot water and 1 tea bag and let it steep for 10 min. so it would be good and dark. While the tea was steeping I made some simple syrup with 12 tbsp of sugar and hot water until dissolved. I figured I would put in about 1/2 and save the rest for another day in a sealed container.
Well it wasn't as sweet as Mc'D's so I put in the whole amount and it still wasn't as sweet. 12 tbsp and it wasn't as sweet.
Guess I will stick to my regular ice tea and 2 tsp of sugar.

minkydog
09-02-2008, 08:29 PM
:scared1: Twelve tablespoons of sugar??

melanie18
09-02-2008, 08:34 PM
I feel your pain. I'm addicted to their sweet tea also. I can't give it up though.
:laughing:

disneynan
09-02-2008, 08:42 PM
I tried it, loved it and never got another one. I figured that if it tasted that good it had to be loaded with either sugar or high fructose corn syrup.

onecutemoocow
09-02-2008, 08:43 PM
me too, lol. I had a co worker complain that its too sweet for her too. So I belive there is that much sugar in it. But for some reason even when I make it and put in A LOT of sugar it NEVER tastes like mcd's....dont know why. There has to be a secret to it. Any one a mcd's employee on here that can share info??? :goodvibes

Mickeyherewecome123
09-02-2008, 08:44 PM
OMG thats a lot of sugar. I personally love their unsweetened tea. The sweetened iced tea is soooo sweet. But I didnt think there would be that many tbsp of sugar in it.

marshallandcartersmo
09-02-2008, 08:48 PM
I have weaned myself down to 1/2 and 1/2. I used to down their sweet tea by embarrassing amounts. But now I get "tea, 1/2 and 1/2 w/no ice please" and it lasts me all day. One day I'll get smart and get myself a gallon of 1/2 and 1/2 so I don't have to go through the drive thru every day......I just like to torture myself I guess. :rolleyes1

kadesha
09-02-2008, 08:48 PM
We live off of sweet tea in the south. Most everyone I know follows this recipe:

I boil water and as soon as it gets to a rolling boil take it off of the stove and steep 2 family size tea bags. Add just a pinch of baking soda. Leave it alone for 10 minutes.

Once it is finished, throw the tea bags away and pour the liquid in a one gallon pitcher, add 2 cups of sugar and fill it on up with cold water then mix well! Obviously let it get good and cold before drinking it! :)

Belle4mygrl
09-02-2008, 08:56 PM
We live off of sweet tea in the south. Most everyone I know follows this recipe:

I boil water and as soon as it gets to a rolling boil take it off of the stove and steep 2 family size tea bags. Add just a pinch of baking soda. Leave it alone for 10 minutes.

Once it is finished, throw the tea bags away and pour the liquid in a one gallon pitcher, add 2 cups of sugar and fill it on up with cold water then mix well! Obviously let it get good and cold before drinking it! :)

I have never heard of baking soda in tea. What is the point of baking soda? Does it taste better? take the bitterness out? Well, that can't be it because it looks like lightly colored sugar water by the time Southerners are finished with it. :lmao:

Seriously, why the baking soda?

disneybound31
09-02-2008, 09:00 PM
I drink one of their unsweetened teas almost every morning... it's my Starbucks!

kadesha
09-02-2008, 09:11 PM
I have never heard of baking soda in tea. What is the point of baking soda? Does it taste better? take the bitterness out? Well, that can't be it because it looks like lightly colored sugar water by the time Southerners are finished with it. :lmao:

Seriously, why the baking soda?

Honestly, I have no idea. That's how my mom taught me how to do it. I did forget it one time and it did have a slightly different taste. Maybe it does have something to do with bitterness. Just a tiny pinch, not even half of a teaspoon.

What I gave is a typical southern recipe. It's different from person to person. Some do more/less tea bags and some do more sugar. (notice I didn't say less, lol! We like it sweet!)

ETA: I googled it, it is for bitterness! :)

Where'sPiglet?
09-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Help a northerner out:

What's the difference between iced tea and sweet tea? And sun tea? :confused3

ummchacha
09-02-2008, 09:29 PM
I am not positive on this, but this is what I was told about 8 months ago by a manager at my local Mickey D's. She said it is 5 gallons of tea mixed with 4 lbs of sugar. She said they do not use any baking soda or anything else. Also, was told that the large size has 750 calories. Needless to say, that was my LAST sweet tea from there.....Chick Fil A as well. :sad2:

TruBlu
09-02-2008, 09:33 PM
I'm from the South, and I make it like this:

4 cups of very hot (almost boiling water)
4 family size tea bags
steep covered for 15 minutes
pour over 3/4 cup sugar
stir at least one minute to dissolve all sugar
add water to bring it up to a gallon
stir again
cool completely in refrigerator
serve over ice with lemon slices
:drinking1

TruBlu
09-02-2008, 09:34 PM
I am not positive on this, but this is what I was told about 8 months ago by a manager at my local Mickey D's. She said it is 5 gallons of tea mixed with 4 lbs of sugar. She said they do not use any baking soda or anything else. Also, was told that the large size has 750 calories. Needless to say, that was my LAST sweet tea from there.....Chick Fil A as well. :sad2:I try not to drink it, but when I NEED some.... I always mix it half and half with unsweetened. It is still very sweet.

Macsmomma
09-02-2008, 09:49 PM
I must admit... I am addicted to sweet tea as well. But, I make it at home using splenda. It is really good!:)

ajh88
09-02-2008, 09:49 PM
I'm not sure how accurate this article is - McD's doesn't have sweet tea nutrition info on their website. However, it claims there is less sugar in a medium sweet tea than a medium regular Coke (38 g/15 calories for tea vs. 58 g/210 calories for Coke).

http://***************************/article/529651/mcdonalds_sweet_tea_review.html?cat=22, FWIW.

I don't like the tea from McD's at all - Chick-Fil-A is a different story, but I get plain, not sweet (blech!).

reginaastralis
09-02-2008, 09:57 PM
Help a northerner out:

What's the difference between iced tea and sweet tea? And sun tea? :confused3

Iced tea is just brewed tea, served cold with no sugar in it.

Sweet tea is brewed tea, with sugar added to it, served cold.

Sun tea, is made with a pitcher that you put the bags in the water and set the pitcher on your car (or somewhere in direct sunlight, we always used the car as a kid) and the heat from the sun brews the tea. I LOVED sun tea growing up.

Don't forget what I call "grandma's tea" ... we would add sugar to it and then say "Oops, did I forget the sugar" and add more. Since "grandma" couldn't remember if she added it or not. I can't even drink it that sweet anymore.

For those of you coming into town for a Disney trip, and plan on hitting Publix for some groceries, pick up a gallon of the tea. OMG, it's amazing. I don't drink McDonald's anymore, but between Publix, Chick Fil A, and the Cracker Barrel where I work, I drink enough sweet tea to feed a small army. We even brew some at home ... but I can't make it as yummy as Publix tea.

dsanner106
09-02-2008, 10:03 PM
Sweet tea is a southern staple, I was happy to see McDonalds serve it as I could never get it above the mason dixon line. Tried to order it in ohio at a Bob Evans and another place. Both times they brought a cup of hot tea and some sugar packs. I guess Chik fil a's move into the north probably introduced this and McD is following their lead. Good sweat tea is always boiled with baking soda to even out the flavor and remove bitterness. The amount of sugar you add is "according to taste" and ranges from 1/2 to 2 cups per gallon.

Drew in Ga (formerly of Michigan)

Sun tea, is made with a pitcher that you put the bags in the water and set the pitcher on your car (or somewhere in direct sunlight, we always used the car as a kid) and the heat from the sun brews the tea. I LOVED sun tea growing up.

Don't forget what I call "grandma's tea" ... we would add sugar to it and then say "Oops, did I forget the sugar" and add more. Since "grandma" couldn't remember if she added it or not. I can't even drink it that sweet anymore.

For those of you coming into town for a Disney trip, and plan on hitting Publix for some groceries, pick up a gallon of the tea. OMG, it's amazing. I don't drink McDonald's anymore, but between Publix, Chick Fil A, and the Cracker Barrel where I work, I drink enough sweet tea to feed a small army. We even brew some at home ... but I can't make it as yummy as Publix tea.

leebee
09-02-2008, 10:03 PM
This northerner knows the difference between iced, sweet, and sun tea (sorry guys, can't stand sweet tea!), but please tell me- what's a family sized tea bag? We don't have those up here!

reginaastralis
09-02-2008, 10:05 PM
I've seen them down here, but we've never bought them. They are made by both Lipton and Nestle (I think that's the right name) and you can use one or two instead of the little bags.

I do like *gasp* hot tea as well, so we just buy the little bags.

srwarden1928
09-02-2008, 10:08 PM
Im Southern and I never heard of the baking soda. The key to sweet tea is that you put in the sugar while the tea is still warm. Sugar does NOT dissolve properly in cold tea. It is NOT necessary to use simple syrup if you sweeten WARM tea.

If my only choice is unsweetened tea, I pass and just drink Coke. Either brand.

kaytieeldr
09-02-2008, 11:16 PM
I am not positive on this, but this is what I was told about 8 months ago by a manager at my local Mickey D's. She said it is 5 gallons of tea mixed with 4 lbs of sugar. She said they do not use any baking soda or anything else. Also, was told that the large size has 750 calories. Needless to say, that was my LAST sweet tea from there.....Chick Fil A as well. :sad2:
Not quite.

If five gallons of water/tea contains four pounds of sugar, sixteen ounces of liquid contains 1.6 ounces of sugar.

One ounce of sugar contains 110 calories. One point six ounces of sugar = 176 calories.

Thirty two ounces of tea would have twice as much sugar, so twice as many calories, or 352.

For a large tea to be 750 calories (based on the proportions given, it would either have to have something we don't know about in it (a Big Mac?), or it would have to be over a half gallon in size.

Now, that's entirely possible in this super-size world... but it's NOT the 99 cent size!

Brooknwdw
09-03-2008, 12:02 AM
Oh my goodness..I must admit that (being from the South myself) reading the OP's post gave me quite a chuckle! I was literally "brought up" on sweet tea..everyone I know has been!

Anyway, my mom sometimes used to make sun tea out on the back deck..but she usually made it the way I do now:

Bring 3 family size LIPTON iced tea bags to a boil in 2 or 3 cups of water. Just as its starting to boil, take it off the heat and put a lid on it.
Let it sit covered for 10 to 15 minutes.

Pour 1 to 1 1/2 cups sugar in the bottom of a gallon container, pour hot tea (not tea bags). Stir until sugar is dissolved. Then, fill the container up the rest of the way with cold water! Very simple and everyone loves our tea! ;)

(Of course, sugar is to taste..some like it sweeter..some not so sweet.)

A couple of things that ruins the taste of tea is 1) letting it sit TOO LONG (don't let it cool down on the back of the stove) and 2) Letting it boil too long..if it comes to a foamy rolling boil for two or three minutes, its too late..throw it out and start over! It will taste bitter/burnt/too strong. I sometimes get busy and forget to watch it!

If you want to cut out the sugar just make it the same way except without the sugar..you can add splenda to taste by the glass.

HTH! :goodvibes

Mr Smee23
09-03-2008, 04:36 AM
Growing up we had Sweet tea with every meal. After we made it we never refrigerated it. It never lasted long, but if you did refrigerate it for some reason it would get too sweet overnight and would be nasty. I don't know what made it get sweeter overnight. Never ad koolaid much, until i joined the Navy though. In the Navy koolaid is called bugjuice.

Smee

Green Tea
09-03-2008, 04:37 AM
Honestly, I have no idea. That's how my mom taught me how to do it.

I was making ice tea yesterday and my DD asked why I did it the way I did. I said because that is the way my mom always did. It wasn't the soda, which I have never heard of, but will try. It was the making it strong in seeping, then adding the sugar and more water.

karliebug
09-03-2008, 05:29 AM
I make mine with 4 family size bags and really hot water (our tap water is very,very hot). Then I stir in 11 packets of sweet n lo. It makes a gallon.

kydisneyfans
09-03-2008, 05:30 AM
I was addicted to the McDonalds Sweet Tea until I went yesterday and found they raised the price from a dollar to a dollar fifty. I'll make my own now.

kaytieeldr
09-03-2008, 05:36 AM
Well, I'm a native of the cold, cold north; the furthest south my parents ever lived was St. Louis, but my mom made my dad (and ONLY my dad!) sweet tea all the time - we just didn't know it back then. Six - eight teabags in a four quart pot of boiling water, add a cup of sugar, let cool, refrigerate, pour over ice.

And McDonald's sweet tea is still cheaper than Dunkin Donuts iced coffee (or tea, for that matter)!

StitchandPooh'sMom
09-03-2008, 06:09 AM
Not quite.

If five gallons of water/tea contains four pounds of sugar, sixteen ounces of liquid contains 1.6 ounces of sugar.

One ounce of sugar contains 110 calories. One point six ounces of sugar = 176 calories.

Thirty two ounces of tea would have twice as much sugar, so twice as many calories, or 352.

For a large tea to be 750 calories (based on the proportions given, it would either have to have something we don't know about in it (a Big Mac?), or it would have to be over a half gallon in size.

Now, that's entirely possible in this super-size world... but it's NOT the 99 cent size!

I was going to post the same thing, but you did it much more elegantly. Chick-fil-a's sweet tea has a little more than 10 calories per ounce, or just over 320 for 32 ounces. McDonald's is comparable in sweetness, depending on the store. 350 is about right (roughly), but I like your analysis better! :goodvibes

ChristyJ
09-03-2008, 06:11 AM
I'm a Northerner too and was also brought up on Grandma's sweet tea. It was always a huge treat to have when we went to her house, and we'd beg our mom to make it at home. When the sweet tea from McD's came out, my sister and I both were "addicted" to it at first. I think any weight I had taken off in the spring came back after drinking too much of it though...:rolleyes1 :rotfl2: Anyway, I'll make it at home once in a great while for a treat, but have been staying away from the McD's kind now.

PoohHappens
09-03-2008, 06:28 AM
http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/bagamcmeal/itemDetailInfo.do?itemID=3430

you have to do a search on the sight to find the info. It is not yet listed in the nutritional info on its own. I am glad to see that it is sugar and not HFCS. It is so sweet I was starting to wonder.

ditchdoc1017
09-03-2008, 06:35 AM
We use Red diamond tea bags I family to a gallon. boil water small pot add to container then 2 cups of sugar then add more water there you go.

Belle4mygrl
09-03-2008, 06:38 AM
Honestly, I have no idea. That's how my mom taught me how to do it. I did forget it one time and it did have a slightly different taste. Maybe it does have something to do with bitterness. Just a tiny pinch, not even half of a teaspoon.

What I gave is a typical southern recipe. It's different from person to person. Some do more/less tea bags and some do more sugar. (notice I didn't say less, lol! We like it sweet!)

ETA: I googled it, it is for bitterness! :)

thanks! I wondered since I am a southerner and never heard of it.

We have iced cold sweet tea every night for supper. If I don't have tea made at supper my family knows something is wrong.

A trick that i have found that does not make my tea bitter--2 cups of water in microwave safe bowl with one family size bag and microwave 3 minutes, steep about 10 then add 1 cup of sugar and 1/2 gallon of water.
** never let sit overnight YUCK!*** Always drink tea fresh, imho

ConnieB
09-03-2008, 07:22 AM
Well, 230 calories for your 32oz sweet tea fits perfectly with your 540 calories for that Big Mac and 500 calories for those large fries. That makes 1270 calories just for lunch!!! Oh, and those who think they're eating "healthier" by having the grilled chicken sandwich....ouch, 420 calories for classic; 530 for Club.

Considering that an average woman needs 2,000 or less calories a day, that makes for some might small breakfast and dinner meals, lol. Yeah, like that's gonna happen.

No wonder my waist keeps expanding!

Thankfully, I can cut those calories by 230, because I don't like sweet tea, so I either get a plain, unsweetened tea, water if they have lemon, or a diet soda, which while not great for you, at least has no calories.

So....I'll get a $1 hot fudge sundae instead.....oops 320 calories. Well at least it's not a 620 calorie McFlurry!

goofyboyzmom
09-03-2008, 07:48 AM
Funny story..........When we moved to Georgia in '95 (for 6 months, LOL) we went to a restaurant our first day and ordered iced tea. It was like a comedy...I took a drink and it was all I could do not to "spew" it all over! Apparently when you order iced tea in Georgia (the whole south?) it is automatically "sweet" tea. I drink my tea with lemon only, NOT ONE drop of sugar, so it was a YUCKY surprise!

Anyways, when it came to McDonalds this year, the thought of it just gagged me. I asked the woman I talk to all the time and, according to her, it is one POUND of sugar to one GALLON of water!!! Can you imagine???

mom2my3kids
09-03-2008, 07:52 AM
Yep we love it here also, we are now making sweet tea at my IHOP.. We use a quart and a half of sugar for a huge container.. Its just sweet enough not overly sweet but it rates right up their with McDonald's..

tzolkin
09-03-2008, 08:18 AM
Maybe there's something wrong with me, but I found the McD sweet tea to be absolutely disgusting. I lived in the south for 10 years and thought it would be nice to try it since I havent had it in a while. I took one sip and almost spit it out. I thought maybe it was just me, but all my kids tried it and wouldnt drink it either. I asked my mom about it and she said she has had it a few times at different McDonald's where it tasted bad and she had to dump it out, but other times she liked it.

All I can think is that not that many people buy it around here and they let it sit there too long :confused3 I'm sure the people who have never had sweet tea before that try this nasty stuff must think southerners are crazy for drinking it.

Gagirl69
09-03-2008, 08:19 AM
I've lived in the south my whole life and I've never heard of putting baking soda in tea. I make a gallon a day. That's all my husband will drink. I love my sweet tea but I also gotta have my pepsi. (not coke) :goodvibes

Also, I like for my tea to get cold. I don't like "fresh" tea. I try to make it before going to bed. Its nice and cold when I want it the next day. Ice just waters it down IMO.

blu3d3vil
09-03-2008, 08:38 AM
Chickfila Tea rocks, McDonalds Tea is nasty. If you like McD's tea then you'll love tea from The Dwarf House.

If you live in the south and ask for tea it'll be sweet unless you specify 'unsweet'

springandmac
09-03-2008, 08:42 AM
Maybe there's something wrong with me, but I found the McD sweet tea to be absolutely disgusting.

There's nothing wrong with you. I can't stand it either and I love sweet tea!

I tried to like it, especially for 99 cents (considering it's 1.69 at Chick-Fil-A and Biscuitville where I normally go) but it's just nasty. Some days it's weak, some days it's too sweet, some days not sweet enough. And it's always too much ice. I give up!

Anonomom
09-03-2008, 08:47 AM
Sweet tea is one of those tastes I never managed to acquire, and it took me quite a while after moving to the south to get used to ordering my tea "unsweet." In my mind, there's just no comparison -- unsweetened tea is crisp and refreshing, while sweet tea is like drinking flat coke. All sweet, no thirst quenching. Yick.

Nie0214
09-03-2008, 08:54 AM
I tried a sip of my little brother's sweet tea from McD, and it was waaay too sweet for my northerner tastes. :)

If I ever buy iced tea from Dunkin Donuts, I get it unsweetened and with a lemon.

HopingToGetEngaged
09-03-2008, 08:55 AM
I don't think anyone else has posted this, so here's the link to Todd Wilbur's Top Secret Recipies... it's featured this week! http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/recipedetail.asp?sessionid=&login=yes&id=564 :cool1:

tmccullough
09-03-2008, 09:13 AM
My kids dental assistant told me that she is on Weight Watchers and McD's sweet tea is 5 points. :scared1: She said she's allowed 15 points for all her daily intake - that's insane. What I do to be able to enjoy their sweet tea is fill the cup with ice, and do half sweet and half unsweet... it's still really good! and half the sugar!

lucigo
09-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Chickfila Tea rocks, McDonalds Tea is nasty. If you like McD's tea then you'll love tea from The Dwarf House.

If you live in the south and ask for tea it'll be sweet unless you specify 'unsweet'

Yes and then if we travel up north and ask for unsweet tea they look at us like we are crazy! (Is there any other kind???) :rotfl:

candee0512
09-03-2008, 11:15 AM
Oh my goodness..I must admit that (being from the South myself) reading the OP's post gave me quite a chuckle! I was literally "brought up" on sweet tea..everyone I know has been!

That's why it's called "the house wine of the South"!

:laughing:
Candee, who loves her sweet tea

leebee
09-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Actually, I've noticed that many of the restaurants up here are double checking; when they say they have iced tea, they will specify unsweetened. I think it's due partly to the number of people who want to add sweetener, not sugar, to their tea. Also many restaurants started carrying raspberry iced tea and that's always sweetened, so they've started mentioning that their iced tea is unsweetened. Maybe that's the difference- you have to ask for "iced tea, unsweetened" instead of "unsweet tea":confused3 ?

And yes, some northerners do sweeten their tea by adding sugar or sweetener; it's what those little packets on the table are for! You just can't order "sweet tea"; iced tea comes unsweetened. (I personally prefer unsweetened tea with a "pink packet" added to it!) I unfortunately learned the hard way a couple of times when travelling down south, so now, regardless of where I am, I always double check to make sure the iced tea I order is unsweetened.

Debating iced tea; funny world, huh??

blu3d3vil
09-03-2008, 11:34 AM
The only place in the South that I've found where you have to specify Sweet or Unsweet is Florida. It's not everywhere in FL just sporadic. Maybe it's because of all of the snowbirds?

SILLYANDI
09-03-2008, 11:47 AM
They just started selling it out west, I saw a sign for it a few days back. I was gonna try it because I am a huge iced tea fan but now I'm reconsidering...

bookgirl
09-03-2008, 12:03 PM
My addiction is the iced coffee, it's som much cheaper than Starbucks, and it's even better in someways,,,,it's the fact that they use real cream and not skim....yikes. Here's a link to their nutritional values.

http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/bagamcmeal/nutrition_facts.html

dansamy
09-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Just an fyi, you don't need baking soda if you don't boil the water. Just heat the water just to the boiling point and remove it from the heat. Then add your tea bags and let them steep until as dark as you want it.

surfergirl602
09-03-2008, 01:04 PM
Okay, speaking as a Mainer here, we laughed when McDonalds started serving sweet tea. Yuck!!! We just aren't used to it. We drink ice tea, which consists of water and a couple spoonfuls of lipton powder. :)

labdogs42
09-03-2008, 03:04 PM
I like McD's sweet tea, but I also like unsweet tea. I looked up the nutrition facts, but Sweet Tea wasn't listed! I wonder how bad it really is???

Halloweenqueen
09-03-2008, 03:15 PM
I moved from NC to Washington State 4 months ago. I always drank sweet tea once or twice a day. I've lost 7 pounds here and I think it has to do with getting off my ice tea habit.

kadesha
09-03-2008, 04:05 PM
I think it's so funny that so many of you don't like sweet tea. There are baby pictures of my in our albums drinking sweet tea out of a baby bottle!! lol!

RN01
09-03-2008, 04:27 PM
In my town we call McDonald's sweet tea "crack tea" because the kids drink it and act like they are on crack because they are all sugared up.:banana:

TMTIP
09-03-2008, 04:53 PM
I grew up in the South and drank sweet tea all of my life. When I was first married my husband and I went to a wedding in Massachuessets (in September) and I ordered sweet tea--the waiter looked at me funny, went to the kitchen and came out to tell me that "it isn't Sweet Tea Season" so they don't have any!!! We have been married for twenty years and still get a good laugh out of "Sweet Tea Season"!

lvanleer
09-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Well I'm from Maryland....love sweet tea from McDs, Chick-Fil-A, Checkers or any place I can find it including the dairy that delivers our milk weekly....they brew it themselves.....while I was growing up my mom always kept the teapot full on the counter because that's what we drank in the afternoon....she was from North Carolina and it was always served at my grandma's house at mealtime.....I can't stand unsweet tea though when it's the only option I have at a restaurant then it's the only time I ever use Equal or Sweet'n'Low because it makes it sweet enough for me.

CarolinaBlue
09-03-2008, 05:50 PM
Sweet tea is one of those tastes I never managed to acquire, and it took me quite a while after moving to the south to get used to ordering my tea "unsweet." In my mind, there's just no comparison -- unsweetened tea is crisp and refreshing, while sweet tea is like drinking flat coke. All sweet, no thirst quenching. Yick.

See, we Southerners think just the opposite. I wouldn't dare drink unsweetened tea-YUCK!!!

4 family size tea bags
pour over 3/4 cup sugar
stir again

NO LEMONS!!!! (Haven't we had this discussion before???:rotfl: )

disney1990
09-03-2008, 07:25 PM

From the McDonald's website -- it's not THAT bad.

Sweet Tea (Large) †
Serving Size: 32 fl oz cup

Sweet Tea (Large) †
Serving Size: 32 fl oz cup

† Available at participating McDonald's

Nutrition Facts View More Details

Total: 230 Calories

Where'sPiglet?
09-03-2008, 07:49 PM
I moved from NC to Washington State 4 months ago. I always drank sweet tea once or twice a day. I've lost 7 pounds here and I think it has to do with getting off my ice tea habit.

You can make good sun tea in the summer up where you are...in a very short amount of time on one of those 114 degree days!

Thanks for the explanations. I know what sun tea is, but I was wondering how it compared to the others. I don't think I've ever had sweet tea, but I've had ice tea and gallons of sun tea. I can't make sun tea here, I don't have a yard or balcony. :(

TruBlu
09-03-2008, 09:09 PM
NO LEMONS!!!! (Haven't we had this discussion before???:rotfl: )Can I at least have them with my Tequila? :rotfl:

tinatark
09-03-2008, 11:00 PM
I get my tea bags from Sam's Club - they have Lipton bags which make a gallon each. Get those just to a boil (in the pot you use ONLY for making tea - anyone else?) on the stove... 1 cup of sugar, pour into the pitcher (who else has the Tupperware one?), keep filling the pot (tea bag still in there) with water and pouring it into the pitcher until it's full.

No lemon, no orange, no mango, etc! Just ice, tea and sugar!

I will occassionally get tea from Chick Fil A - but I order the medium one instead of large. I don't get tea from Mc Donalds because it doesn't go with burgers (but it would be okay with breakfast stuff), and I don't want such a large cup - but it would be kinda weird to get tea in a regular McD's cup, if that makes sense - I also will not get sweet tea at places like Taco Hell oops I mean Taco Bell. That's just weird!

WendyisDarling
09-04-2008, 08:19 AM
NO LEMONS!!!! (Haven't we had this discussion before???:rotfl: )

:rotfl: Yep, I remembered this one too.
Most of the tea recipes are basically the same as mine, but I really must have tea made that same day. Day old tea --bleck.
Maybe because it was always fresh growing up. Made in the morning and gone by evening.

tlbwriter
09-04-2008, 08:51 AM
The only place in the South that I've found where you have to specify Sweet or Unsweet is Florida. It's not everywhere in FL just sporadic. Maybe it's because of all of the snowbirds?

I've found it to be that way in Georgia, Alabama, and Tennessee.

I'm married to a southerner and have southerners as friends and inlaws, and I have never, ever heard of anyone putting baking soda in their tea. It sounds like a lot of you boil the actual tea bags? If so, that could be where the bitterness comes from. We all boil the water and then pour it over the tea bags, and our tea is never bitter, even the next day. Let it steep for a good long time, then add sweetener while the water is still warm, so it will dissolve. I use 4 family-size tea bags, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/2 cup Splenda for a gallon of tea. I've never had McD's sweet tea, so I don't know how it compares in sweetness. I just know it's goooood. :goodvibes

Crystal824
09-04-2008, 08:57 AM
I'm also from N.C. and that is also how I make sweet tea...only I use 1 cup of sugar.

Crystal824
09-04-2008, 08:58 AM

4 family size tea bags
pour over 3/4 cup sugar
stir again

For some reason the quote option didn't work in my last post...probably operator trouble. Anyway, this was the quote I was going for.

mousetravel
09-04-2008, 08:59 AM
I live in the south and I haven't even tried McD's sweet tea, just because in general, I think McD's is nasty with the exception of their hot fudge sundaes.

This is how I make tea:
Bring water to a boil (maybe 6 to 8 cups)
Add 2 Tetley tea bags, let steep for about 20 minutes
Add 2 cups sugar to pitcher
Pour tea into pitcher & stir (you have to get sugar dissolved in the hot water)
Then add cold water until pitcher is full & stir
Then let it set out for a few minutes before refrigerating

I find there is a big difference if you put it in the fridge right away, and if you let it set on the counter for about 20 minutes first.
My grandma taught me to do it this way.

Crystal824
09-04-2008, 09:02 AM

I am from N.C. living in Pa now and at most resturants in N.C., at least in Eastern N.C., if you order iced tea...you will get sweet unless otherwise specified.

*pixie*dust*
09-04-2008, 09:14 AM
I drink one of their unsweetened teas almost every morning... it's my Starbucks!

I am right there with you.

H.E. Pennypacker
09-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Count me in as another one who's developing an addiction to Mickey D's sweet tea. Tried my first one on a whim about a week ago and LOVED it! As another skeptical northerner, I poked a lot of fun at it when the ads first started running. Now I take it all back. It's sweet! It's delicious! I must have more!!! All hail the sweet tea! :worship:

rebecca06261
09-04-2008, 09:54 AM

:scared1: Holy crap! I have one of these a day with my fruit and walnut salad! I guess that's defeating the point!

tlbwriter
09-04-2008, 11:09 AM
:scared1: Holy crap! I have one of these a day with my fruit and walnut salad! I guess that's defeating the point!

(Psssst... see post #61)

SLDL
09-04-2008, 11:12 AM
I am from N.C. living in Pa now and at most resturants in N.C., at least in Eastern N.C., if you order iced tea...you will get sweet unless otherwise specified.

You're right about that! And more than likely, if you're drinking some tea in Eastern NC, there is some barbecue or fried chicken (usually both) on your plate! Anyone here familiar with Parker's BBQ? Hard to beat their food & tea!!

lovetoscrap
09-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Funny to find this thread. Top Secret Recipies has their recipe for McD's sweet tea up this week!

http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/recipedetail.asp?sessionid=&login=yes&id=564

wickywinn
09-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Wanna know what Southerners on the go do for our daily ice tea fix?

Buy an Ice Tea maker. The pitcher is marked showing you how much water to fill. Pour water in machine. Place pitcher up to machine and add 3 family tea bags to the top portion and push the button. If you want sweet tea you add about a cup of sugar or more to the pitcher before you turn it on. Once it's done brewing stir the sugar in the bottom, fill the pitcher to the top line with water/ice. Done. I use mine twice a day. Takes two minutes tops.

Sweet tea is just iced tea with sugar. Alot of us also add a couple sprigs of mint to ours. Or even fruity simple syrup which is basically just adding strawberries or whatever to your simple syrup on the stove. Yummy!

Before anyone balks at the sugar content...like noone ever drinks lemonade or sodas? You can always subsitute sugar substitue afterall. :confused3

pinkyinhere
09-04-2008, 12:44 PM
wow..12 tsp of sugar...that's a lot of sugar.

5 Disney Fans
09-04-2008, 12:47 PM
My recipe for a low cal iced tea:

Bring water to boiling point in a sauce pan
Add 10 tea bags. I use Lipton and I do 5 bags of regular, 5 bags of decaf.
Let tea bags steep until water cools to room temp.
Pour tea water into a 1 gallon pitcher, add one tub of Chrystal Lite Lemonade Mix.
Add cold water to fill the gallon pitcher.
Pour over ice and serve.
It has a nice fresh brewed tea taste and the lemon is just enough to give it a little extra something, but it is not overpowering. It is a great refreshing drink and has almost no calories!!!

Ladybugsy
09-04-2008, 12:58 PM
My mom has made tea every day of my entire life. I don't make it near as much because my dh and my dd are both type one diabetics...BUT...for truly great tea, I MUST use Tetley family size tea bags...4...put them in the water just until it boils...a pinch of baking soda, let it steep for about 5 minutes, and I use one and a half cups of sugar.

By the way, for those of you who wondered about the baking soda...it keeps the tea from being cloudy. Cloudiness= a little bitterness...and not very pretty tea!

mousetravel
09-04-2008, 01:14 PM
By the way, for those of you who wondered about the baking soda...it keeps the tea from being cloudy. Cloudiness= a little bitterness...and not very pretty tea!

The way I keep mine from being cloudy is:
Don't put the tea into the fridge immediately after making. Set out on the countertop for about 20 minutes. That will keep it from getting cloudy!!

SandrA9810
09-04-2008, 01:23 PM
after reading the 750 calories... maybe I shouldn't be addicted to it. Not to mention I'm sure there's plenty of caffine in it.
My grandmother always made ice tea and so did my aunt. So I love the stuff. But I don't have the patience at home to make it and actually drink it before it goes sour.
But when I bring it to work it lasts me through lunch. and I like it better than soda.

sms
09-04-2008, 03:09 PM
Another easy way to make sweet tea:

Fill coffee pot with about 5 cups of water.
Put 4-5 Lipton family size tea bags in the part where you put your coffee. Do not use a coffee filter.
Brew the tea.
Put about 1 1/2- 2 cups of sugar in a gallon pitcher.
Pour hot tea in pitcher, stir hot tea and sugar, add cold water until gallon is filled! Pour over ice. mmmmmm good:drinking1