PDA

View Full Version : Anyone cut their kids hair? Need clipper recommendation...

higleytownheros
09-02-2008, 08:53 AM
In an effort to save money, I was thinking about starting to cut DS 2.5 and DS 5 hair at home. Does anyone else do this, and what clippers / trimmers do you use? I don't have any haircutting experience ... so I would need to use something that's easy to start with. Any want to share some of their haircutting tips as well?

Thanks!

delmar411
09-02-2008, 09:00 AM
I buzz the boys and DH. I got a decent set at Target that included all the guards, scissors, cleaning tools, hair clips (to hold the hair out of the way), and a case to hold it all.

I think the set cost less than $20 and since DH needs a haircut every 2weeks it has long since paid for itself.

liveforthemagic
09-02-2008, 01:32 PM
I got a similar set at KMart--for about the same price. I think its a Wahl.

Its really very easy--and boy's hair grows so quickly that if you mess up, its just a week or so til its long enough to try again.

I used to use a #2 clipper for my son, and a #1 for my DH (who is balding--poor guy). Now DS13 wants a buzz, so we have switched to a #1....that's the shortest cut you can get. I think, though, for a newbie and for the most professional looking cut, you might want to start with a #2 or maybe even a #3.

both my boys want their hair trimmed every 2 - 3 weeks--I can't even imagine how much money I have saved over the years doing this myself. Plus--the boys always look neat and clean. I LOVE a man with a good, short haircut! :lovestruc

amjg
09-02-2008, 01:40 PM
My DH cuts ds (3) and ds (6)'s hair at home. They have very thick coarse hair. We have bought a few clippers and had to immediately return them because they did not cut their hair. The only ones we have found that work great are Wahl.

rbork
09-02-2008, 01:50 PM
I suggest a Wahl also!

BABY_EINSTEIN'S_MOM
09-02-2008, 01:56 PM
I cut my 2 ds's hair with the Wahl clippers also! DH cuts his own with them as well. Been using Wahl for about 12yrs. I tried a cheaper sunbeam or something once and it was worthless after a couple of trims!

HayGan
09-02-2008, 02:03 PM
I have cut my boys (6 & 8), DH and my dad and step-mom's hair for several years now. I typically buy a set of Wahl clippers at Wal-Mart every 9 months (I don't bother with trying to sharpen/oil them.) It is very easy to cut all of their hair. For my dad and the boys, I use one size guide and just buzz their entire heads. For my DH and step-mom, I use a shorter guide on the back and sides and then the next step up in size guide for the top.

If you are unsure on how to do it, get a set of clippers with the instructional dvd. It really is easy and saves alot of money. I wouldn't do it if they have complex hair cuts. I'm sure the boys will want to choose their own styles in a few years and when they do I will take them to a professional. Until then the buzz cuts they get now are just fine.

rluey29
09-03-2008, 08:17 PM
We actually use dog clippers. They are great!

nilseks
09-03-2008, 09:03 PM
I agree with the Wahl set. Got mine at WalMart for $15. I tried another brand first and it didn't cut all the hairs; it always missed some.

I cut both of my boys hair. I had no clue what I was doing when I first started, but I just went for it, and I have to say I do a pretty good job. They like their hair a little longer so I used a #6 or #7 on the sides and back, and then scissor cut the top. If your children have wavy hair it's a little more forgiving. My older son has stick-straight hair so I have to be VERY careful because every little 'mistake' shows up. But it really not too hard!!! On the last haircut I took my kids to before doing it myself, I just watched what the girl did and I sat there thinking, "Yeah, I could do that." And I did! :) Just cut DS5's hair today and it looks really cute. Another $12 saved!

raammartin
09-03-2008, 09:05 PM
I bought a pair of clippers at Sally's - Wahl Peanut. Small, but work really well.