PDA

View Full Version : Orlando vacation, but not WDW?

njsweetP
09-01-2008, 03:59 PM
Hey all!
Trying to plan next year's vacation -a little bit in advance right? But that's what I do;) We were just in the World this past June and are thinking of
returning again next year. Has anyone done an Orlando vacation without
visiting any Disney parks? I know it sounds crazy, but we were thinking of
going to Sea World and the Disney Water Parks and maybe one day in either Epcot or Magic Kingdom, just go get our 'fix'. We have 6 days left on our 10 day myw w/waterparks and more. We are also planning on going to Orlando in June of 2010 to do a Universal trip with friends of ours. - What I want to know is what other exciting things could we do while in Orlando? What other attractions are there? Thanks!

npmommie
09-01-2008, 05:05 PM
We are thinking of doing Universal and Sea World in January.
But I feel like I can't go to orlando without my disney fix either!!

Darcy03231
09-01-2008, 05:20 PM
We did 2 weeks (16 days) in Orlando last summer and only went to WDW one night for Pirates & Princesses. We got the Orlando Flex Pass tickets and did Universal, Islands of Adventure, Seaworld, Busch Gardens and Wet n' Wild. We also went to Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum and played mini-golf a few times. We went to the beach on both the gulf (Clearwater) and the Atlantic (Daytona) side and went to the Kennedy Space Center. We had a great vacation. Actually, we all said that it was the first time we went to Orlando and didn't feel like we needed a vacation from our vacation. Since we had so much time there we didn't feel the need to rush to get everything in.

cndij
09-01-2008, 05:47 PM
We just did exactly that. Tried to make it a budget trip since I am out of work. Rented a 4BR house with a pool and gameroom (about $700 for the week). My husband took the neices to Typhoon Lagoon one day, we did Arabian Nights one night, and mainly they stayed in the pool for the rest of the week. Thought about the Universal deal (it was $79 for 7 days when I first planned the trip) but just couldn't justify on a budget trip $79 x7 is a lot of money. We did some shopping at DT Disney one day and lunch at Rainforest Cafe. I don't think the kids would have noticed it was a budget trip if it wasn't for us driving instead of flying. They are spoiled by flying and didn't appreciate the 10 hour car trip.:rotfl:

LisaRay
09-01-2008, 06:47 PM
We just did it this summer. My DH had a convention at the Orange Co. Convention Center and we only had about 2 months notice that he was going. Since we didn't have time to save enough money for disney tickets for all 4 of us we decided that the kids and I would come on the trip and NOT do disney!!
DH's employer was paying for the hotel so we stayed for 6 days at Universals Royal Pacific hotel and none of us had EVER been to universal!! But we had fun!. The kids and i swam during the day and enjoyed the hotel and then in when DH was done around 4pm we would have an early dinner and then spend the evenings in the park. We entertained ourselves just fine and really didn't even think about disney and that is odd since we have gone to disney every year for the past 14 years!
I had thought about doing a water park if we had gotten bored during the week but we didn't even do that we just enjoyed the hotel pool and at Universal they allow pool hopping so we did that too. Since we normally go to disney in the winter months we don't get to swim too much while there so this was nice to be able to go for late night swims and long meals without feeling like we are missing too much park time.