PDA

View Full Version : Gustav

BRDof3
08-30-2008, 12:26 PM
OK, those of you in the soon-to-be-hit areas off the gulf. Keep checking in so we know you didn't float away! :hippie:

ntsammy5
08-30-2008, 01:13 PM
Yeah! What he said!

mamaloya
08-30-2008, 01:31 PM
Well, the path just moved to put me in the danger zone. Luckily I am inland so the biggest threat will be rain. Unfortunately, the electric service around her is horrid. Any amt of rain causes an outage. During Rita this area was w/o power for a few days. I may leave just to avoid being w/o power. I don't mind roughing it, but no a/c in LA in Sept. I don't think so. I am still not sure. I need a vacation right now, unfortunately, WDW is not doable right now. I may head to Hot Springs or Houston, maybe even Shreveport. I would like to find a hotel with an indoor pool. Don't feel like dealing with the camper. Aw man, I have to take the camper. I have to bring the dogs. Maybe I will leave in the morning. I am doing laundry now.:laundy:

I really don't feel like going anywhere right now. :sick: Maybe I will see if the other wives want to go and have a party in Shreveport. ;)

BRDof3
08-30-2008, 01:37 PM
Well, the path just moved to put me in the danger zone. Luckily I am inland so the biggest threat will be rain. Unfortunately, the electric service around her is horrid. Any amt of rain causes an outage. During Rita this area was w/o power for a few days. I may leave just to avoid being w/o power. I don't mind roughing it, but no a/c in LA in Sept. I don't think so. I am still not sure. I need a vacation right now, unfortunately, WDW is not doable right now. I may head to Hot Springs or Houston, maybe even Shreveport. I would like to find a hotel with an indoor pool. Don't feel like dealing with the camper. Aw man, I have to take the camper. I have to bring the dogs. Maybe I will leave in the morning. I am doing laundry now.:laundy:

I really don't feel like going anywhere right now. :sick: Maybe I will see if the other wives want to go and have a party in Shreveport. ;)

I couldn't remember if you were there yet or not. Be careful! Maybe if you just hung the laundry out on the line and left Mother Nature would have it washed for you when you got back! :)

Shan-man
08-30-2008, 03:39 PM
Mamaloya, are you at Polk? DW's mom and stepfather are in DeRidder (well, here mom died @ six months ago). They have been there for decades and we've visited a few times. Even been to the BX there... or, I guess it's a PX (sorry, Air Force brat, not Army ;-) Anyway, just curious.

mamaloya
08-30-2008, 04:17 PM
Yes, I am at Polk. Lovely, lovely Polk. (said in a sarcastic tone)

A neighbor told me that DeRidder is under a voluntary evacuation. I don't have cable, so have not idea what is going on locally.

I don't think we will be leaving as there are no reservations at any campgrounds I am familiar with due to the labor day weekend. I can't leave w/o the dogs.

Still doing laundry right now. Will head over the camper later to grab some of our camping supplies. Will also get gas. Tomorrow I will stop at WM on the way home from church to get those small propane tanks for the camp stove.

Now is not a good time for me. Gustav needs to go away.

Shan-man
08-30-2008, 06:12 PM
Oh, I've been there, you don't need to underline the sarcasm. I pray you will be safe and comfortable through all of this.

djblu883
08-30-2008, 06:14 PM

A neighbor told me that DeRidder is under a voluntary evacuation. I don't have cable, so have not idea what is going on locally.

I don't think we will be leaving as there are no reservations at any campgrounds I am familiar with due to the labor day weekend. I can't leave w/o the dogs.

Still doing laundry right now. Will head over the camper later to grab some of our camping supplies. Will also get gas. Tomorrow I will stop at WM on the way home from church to get those small propane tanks for the camp stove.

Now is not a good time for me. Gustav needs to go away.

If you have gas money you and family and pets can come here for a few days...I've had to go to Tuscaloosa AL from Biloxi Ms....I'll go back when allowed to work at the hospital there!!! I'm PT so I'm not considered emergency help but have to be back for the next business work day after the all clear is called.

loveDmouse
08-30-2008, 06:49 PM
Everybody in the path please take care. Looks like it is going to be a nasty one. :eek: :eek: :eek: Cat 4 and they expect it to go to a 5. We are praying for you all!

ntsammy5
08-30-2008, 06:50 PM

I was at JRTC for a year one week! :lmao:

auntie
08-30-2008, 08:44 PM
I will keep those of you in the storms path in my thoughts and prayers. :hug:
If you are able please keep us posted as to how you're all doing.

LONE-STAR
08-30-2008, 09:54 PM
Right now we seem to be ok but that could change. But Rog maybe in trouble. Hope it all goes well for all of us.

Millermouseketeers
08-30-2008, 09:59 PM
Lone-Star, Rog everyone else in the path take care. I heard on our Dallas local news that they were evacuating Beaumont. Is that true Lone-Star?

LONE-STAR
08-30-2008, 10:03 PM
Lone-Star, Rog everyone else in the path take care. I heard on our Dallas local news that they were evacuating Beaumont. Is that true Lone-Star?

Not sure I have been gone all day. But I will watch the news at 10 and find out.

ntsammy5
08-30-2008, 10:33 PM
I talked to Debbie and they were talking to Rog and evidently he and his family are evacuating - God bless

terri01p
08-30-2008, 10:37 PM
Keep everyone updated if possible...GodSpeed everyone! :grouphug:

LONE-STAR
08-30-2008, 10:43 PM
I talked to Debbie and they were talking to Rog and evidently he and his family are evacuating - God bless

Good to hear that they will be safe.

LONE-STAR
08-30-2008, 10:53 PM
Jefferson, Orange,and Harden county have been told to Evac.

BigDaddyRog
08-30-2008, 11:22 PM
Hiya Folks....thanks for keeping us in your thoughts. We live on "the Northshore" and have a mandatory evacuation setting into effect at 7am...they are expecting a 17-23 foot surge from the lake which is less than 2 miles from my house so were leaving tonight and heading to some little town called Albertville, AL. at the 5star high class Microtel!!! Im gonna feel like Joe Pesci in My Cousin Vinny!!! But I like Bama...so we'll be all good. I'll check in as often as pssible...the hotel will have internet so I'll be on often. It feels great to know you guys are there looking out for me.

terri01p
08-30-2008, 11:25 PM
Rog, take care my friend! :hug: Keep that family close!

LONE-STAR
08-30-2008, 11:29 PM
Hiya Folks....thanks for keeping us in your thoughts. We live on "the Northshore" and have a mandatory evacuation setting into effect at 7am...they are expecting a 17-23 foot surge from the lake which is less than 2 miles from my house so were leaving tonight and heading to some little town called Albertville, AL. at the 5star high class Microtel!!! Im gonna feel like Joe Pesci in My Cousin Vinny!!! But I like Bama...so we'll be all good. I'll check in as often as pssible...the hotel will have internet so I'll be on often. It feels great to know you guys are there looking out for me.

I figured between the 2 of us this storm would make one of us evac. So far we are clear but it would not take much of a change to put us in trouble. I hope your cart is insured. Be safe man.:thumbsup2

terri01p
08-30-2008, 11:33 PM
I figured between the 2 of us this storm would make one of us evac. So far we are clear but it would not take much of a change to put us in trouble. I hope your cart is insured. Be safe man.:thumbsup2

Now that's a true camper...heehee :lmao:

LONE-STAR
08-30-2008, 11:38 PM
Now that's a true camper...heehee :lmao:

Well I just have this horrible picture in my mind of seeing that mean green flamed machine stuck in a tree when the water recedes. :confused3

vick
08-30-2008, 11:46 PM
Have a safe trip here to Bama Rog. I saw on our local news here that the roads out of LA were already crowded. Albertville is a small town east of where I live, in Decatur.

OK GRUMPY
08-31-2008, 12:20 AM
Rog glad you and your family are getting out of harms way!

mamaloya
08-31-2008, 01:02 AM
Rog, wish I were right behind ya. I am starting to get a little nervous. I have never worried about a storm, other than Katrina. I have hunkered down while many a Cat 2 storm passed over. THat is what this one is supposed to be by the time it gets to me. I think it is just the stress of everything going on in my life right now. I am having to go through this one alone. It is freaking me out a little bit. I don't have anyone to tell me what to do.

There is a hotel in Dallas for only $100 a night that I am considering. It is a suite with 2 beds and a sleeper sofa. Does anyone know how Dallas will do. If I am going to be w/o power, I would like to at least be home. Of course, I would prefer a nice hotel with a pool AND electricity over being home w/o. LOL Also, I would take the back roads to I-20. Does anyone know how that route will be traffic wise? I will avoid 49. I think most of the traffic will be on 10, 55, and 59.

I don't know, hunkering down sounds kind of exciting. :rolleyes1 :scared1: I know the only fear is power outage, but with temps that can be 100, that is rough.

My dd12 wants to skip church tomorrow. I told her "Now is not the time you want to be skipping out on God!!!" :confused3 Well, if I am going to make church, I have to go to bed now.

Be safe Rog.

Born 2 Fish
08-31-2008, 06:13 AM
It feels great to know you guys are there looking out for me.

:thumbsup2

OK GRUMPY
08-31-2008, 08:23 AM
mamaloya,
Be carefull if you want to come this way let me know. We are on the Gulf too but I'm not expecting much from this storm here. My thoughts and prayers are with you guys over there and I hope everything works out.
Cindy

Millermouseketeers
08-31-2008, 09:15 AM
Mamaloya, you should be okay in Dallas. From what I have seen on our Dallas news we will only get rain. It is East Texas that will get the heavy rain. Of course that could change.

mamaloya
08-31-2008, 09:52 AM
Rog, did you guys take your photo albums with ya? I heard there is may be a large storm surge that could potentially flood that area.

I finally made the decision to stay. It looks like it will only be a Cat 1 when it gets to me, which is what I kind of thought to begin with, but I stupidly let my yankee neighbor get me all worked up. She was quite funny yesterday when we got a little breeze. She said, "Do you feel that? We are already getting the wind." I was like "It is still in Cuba. This is not from that." She insisted that it was so I just walked away laughing. Then it started to drizzle and she really panicked. My neighbor from Baton Rouge and I were just being entertained watching her panic. I then started to panic a little last night. I am much better this morning though. Heading to church and out to eat. I will swing by WM and grab a couple more things to prepare for a power outage. I am actually looking forward to the kids being stuck with me. The won't be able to go outside and won't have anything electronic. It will be just like camping. After 2 days w/o power though, I think I will head to Dallas. It is only a 5 hour drive.

Rog, I am praying for you guys that you guys stay safe and your house stays dry. I have to say I don't envy you stuck in a hotel room with 5 women and a baby. :scared1: I hope they don't happen to be PMSing right now. :scared1: :scared1: Well, at least the little one won't be, but I swear my dd12 started PMSing at 5. :lmao: :confused3 :eek: I hope ya packed cards and lots of board games.

RvUsa
08-31-2008, 11:55 AM
Hey, guys, hope everyone does fine with this one, I got my fingers crossed for all of ya!

Just Beachy
08-31-2008, 01:01 PM
I'm saying my prayers for all of you in the Gulf Coast region. I hope you all stay safe. Please check in if you can and let us know how you're doing. :grouphug:

77ed
08-31-2008, 01:30 PM
Here in Pensacola we are under a tropical storm warning. My fingers are crossed for everybody this storm will affect. Soon all will be back to normal and we all can just consentrate on the fort, beer, golf carts and kungaloosh.

vick
08-31-2008, 02:12 PM
Everyone in the storms path will be in my prayers. I hope everyone evacuating will be able to find your homes safe and sound when you return. The main thing I pray is that everyone will stay safe.

djblu883
08-31-2008, 05:12 PM
well I got home at 1 AM Sat. AM only to find my a/c unit frozen up!!!! Seems the repairs done in April were very temporary!! grrrrrr and being a holiday weekend no way I can get it fixed so I'm at my son's until later tonight to stay cool.. good I didn't have folks come here to stay afterall!! They would be suffering along with me lol . I've bought 450 bucks worth of food/water and supplies and 6 five gallon containers of gas to take back as I'm considered necessary medical personel "B" team...after the storm does its worst I'll return to help care for the ill and injured.Rog ya had to drive right past my town to get to Albertville!!! Give me a call if you still have my number (i'll IM ya too) if it hits as expected you guys won't be going back for a while....I'll get the a/c fixed and you guys can come back and stay at my house instead of paying rent...its not completed since I got it back from my daughter but it's a port in a storm...I'm in Tuscaloosa Al. Janet

jrandtysmom
08-31-2008, 05:30 PM
Rog I was thinking of you & your family today in church when they mentioned the storm and prayed for you - hoping your family was able to evacuate (your the only one I knew that lived in LA) Good luck to everyone in the path of Gustav and I will be praying for everyone.
:grouphug:

mamaloya
08-31-2008, 05:37 PM
Well, looks like my area is going to only get TS storm strength. Of course, that could always change. The HS here is already receiving evacuees. I am prepared for about 3-5 days of power outage. I have my misty mate to hookup to the hose to keep me cool. My kids will be swimming and playing in the sprinkler to stay cool. Looks like we will be having a block party after the storm as half of the families have stayed.

Today I bought an inverter to charge things in my van. I also bought on of those black and decker jump start things to charge things inside the house if need be. One neighbor has a generator. The things the kids picked out at WM that they felt was a MUST have was the indiana jones special edition monopoly game. They said they could not make it through the storm w/o it. :lmao: It will definitely be a lifesaver for me when they realize that no power means no computer and TV. :confused3 :surfweb: :scared1:

Rog, how are ya'll doing?

ntsammy5
08-31-2008, 06:28 PM
I'm more ripped than I waa last nigt but i hope eveyrone gets thuru this ok. good luck hguys

Shan-man
08-31-2008, 06:37 PM
Mamaloyo, I'm guessing that your camper doesn't have a generator? We used to get power outages all the time, until we bought our motorhome, which could serve as a nice port in a storm being self-contained. Since we bought it we haven't had a power outage of more than 30 minutes! Just long enough for me to run extension cords from the MH to the refrigerator and a few lamps, then plink! the lights come back on... doh!

homebrew2
08-31-2008, 11:19 PM
I'm more ripped than I waa last nigt but i hope eveyrone gets thuru this ok. good luck hguys

I've gotta hand it to ya Al....that's the first time I've seen anyone type like
Foster Brooks talks.:lmao: :thumbsup2

mamaloya
08-31-2008, 11:54 PM
No Shannon, we do not have a generator. That was going to be our next purchase for the camper. :confused: We had been planning on getting an electric tongue jack as well, but never got around to it until dh broke the regular on when he forgot to put it up and drove off. :eek: How stupid! I was glad that it wasn't the electric one though.

Our one neighbor who has a generator will be getting my cold stuff in her fridge. :rolleyes1

I just did an inventory check and I have enough water and nonperishable food to last us 5 days. Whether or not I can last that long w/o a/c is another story. :scared1: I will do laundry again tomorrow just to have it all caught up. I will also boil a dozen eggs as they keep pretty well.

I still have not made it to the camper to get our little packets of condiments and other things I want. I figure the rain won't be hitting us until tomorrow afternoon.

I have not checked the weather again this evening as another crisis came up. Luckily I am able to hold off on dealing with it until after the storm. Man, when it rains it pours.

Does Rog have a laptop or another way to let us know how they are?

lisa8200
09-01-2008, 07:48 AM
I believe that Rog has a laptop but no aircard so he as to find the net. As apposed to the guys with the net trying to find him:lmao: . He had said that they should have internet at the Hotel they planed on staying at so he should be giving an update

BigDaddyRog
09-01-2008, 11:08 AM
We're safe in Albertville, AL! Thank s to everyone for keeping us in your thoughts. Looks like it didnt the power they were expecting....but the streets are starting to flood according to the news.

jrandtysmom
09-01-2008, 11:24 AM
We're safe in Albertville, AL! Thank s to everyone for keeping us in your thoughts. Looks like it didnt the power they were expecting....but the streets are starting to flood according to the news.

I'm watching CNN now and I just wanted to cry for all the people from that area. You all went through hell with Katrina and now it seems to be repeating itself (so far not as bad but still bad.) My 6 yr old was watching with me and he wanted to know if that could happen here cuz he said that was very scary to see.

I''m so glad your family is now safe Rog and I hope that your home and belonging aren't ruined in this mess! I'll keep you and yours in my thoughts and prayers throughout the day. :hug:

BRDof3
09-01-2008, 11:30 AM

I was hoping you'd let us know when you got there. Momaloya looks like she is riding it out, we'll keep the happy thoughts on the fire for her. Glad to know you and yours made it OK. Now let's hope Gustav stays in the less-than-expected gategory.

mamaloya
09-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Rob, it is going to be fine where I am, just a little flooding and power outage. Rog is the one I am worried about. I lost everything in Katrina and while I tried to focus on the "I get to get all new stuff" aspect, after having to shop so intensely for so long, I HATED shopping by the time I was done. That is how traumatic it was. When a woman hates shopping, you know it is bad. :rotfl: I truly don't wish what I went though with Katrina on anyone. I actually began crying Sunday thinking about it when I saw evacuees here at the shelter near me. The rain in this one seems like a lot. Rog I am praying for your house and belongings. You really don't need this right now. Unless of course Gina was thinking about redecorating anyway. :confused3 Please don't try to come home too quickly. Try to enjoy your little break from home. I hope the hotel you are at has a pool.

Is everyone's spirit up?

testtubes
09-01-2008, 02:13 PM
Hi from testtubes in Evangeline Parish, Louisiana. Winds are getting gustier, but our worse is not expected until about 6:00 or 7:00 P.M. Central time. We are about 60 miles northwest of Lafayette. We rode out Hurricanes Lilli and Rita. It's not a matter of if we lose power but WHEN. Generators are on standby, the pantry is stocked, and the clothes are all washed. We even boarded up our windows this go round. On a light note, I placed our WDW reservations in the safe along with some jewelry and important papers. We have a trip planned for this December. We may need a vacation before that if Hurricane Hannah and maybe TS Ike? keep coming our way. Take care everyone and thanks.

Millermouseketeers
09-01-2008, 02:20 PM
I will keep all of you in my prayers. Stay safe.

loveDmouse
09-01-2008, 04:06 PM
Hi from testtubes in Evangeline Parish, Louisiana. Winds are getting gustier, but our worse is not expected until about 6:00 or 7:00 P.M. Central time. We are about 60 miles northwest of Lafayette. We rode out Hurricanes Lilli and Rita. It's not a matter of if we lose power but WHEN. Generators are on standby, the pantry is stocked, and the clothes are all washed. We even boarded up our windows this go round. On a light note, I placed our WDW reservations in the safe along with some jewelry and important papers. We have a trip planned for this December. We may need a vacation before that if Hurricane Hannah and maybe TS Ike? keep coming our way. Take care everyone and thanks.

Glad you are doing ok. Stay safe.

You might luck out with Hanna. Looks like she is coming our way on the east coast. We shall see.

Take care.

loveDmouse
09-01-2008, 04:07 PM

Glad you guys are safe and sound. Take care!

BRDof3
09-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Looks like the worst of it is coming through your area, Mamaloya. Be careful, and let us know you came through OK.

mamaloya
09-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Well, we are feeling the effects now. Not bad yet. I was told that the worst will be hitting us about 1am. We are all planning on sleeping downstairs just because of the possibilities of tornados associated with any storm. We still have power, but I am ready for WHEN it goes out. I am prepared for 5 days of no power, but after 4, I will leave. I cooked a nice big dinner tonight since it may be the last full home cooked me for a couple of days at least.

The kids keep asking "when is the power going out?" They are so looking forward to it. They think it is cool. Our neighbor girl was scared and asked me "Miss Sandra, aren't you scared the power may go out?" She looked so frightened. I looked at her and said "Oh sweetie, the power WILL go out, but that is when the fun begins." She looked puzzled. I told her that that is when you can play flashlight hide and go seek and flashlight tag and board games and puzzles and that we will have a party at my house. She then began to look forward to it. I am so glad that she is not scared anymore. I reminded her that the last power outage we had in the neighborhood resulted in a party at my house. Man, I really should buy a generator. :wizard:

BigDaddyRog
09-01-2008, 07:42 PM
Or more party supplies!!!! Sandra....I hope everything works out ...youve had a rough week!!

AuburnJen92
09-01-2008, 07:52 PM
Rog, how far are you from Tuscaloosa? I was going to have a case of beer delivered from my best friend up there. Just let me know.

BigDaddyRog
09-01-2008, 08:08 PM
We drove through Tuscaloosa to get here!!! LOL...but thanks for the beer thoughts!!! We're may be leaving tonight to head back home!!!

des1954
09-01-2008, 08:50 PM
We drove through Tuscaloosa to get here!!! LOL...but thanks for the beer thoughts!!! We're may be leaving tonight to head back home!!!

Rog- CNN News & TWC said that 95% of gas stations in and around NOLA are out of gas. Make sure you get plenty for the last leg home. It didn't look too bad in your area & the levees seem to be holding last I saw. Looks like you might have had a lot of rain, but very little wind damage. We were all keeping you in our prayers, buddy.

AuburnJen92
09-01-2008, 09:20 PM
I just got off the phone with Ami and she was asking about you. I told her everyone from LA was holdin' up just fine so far.

testtubes
09-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Thanks everyone for the prayers; they worked for us. Power was out for a little less than 24 hours, and we just slept in the motorhome with the A.C. Cleanup will keep us busy, and several houses down the road had major roof damage. After the last scare and picking up shingles, we put a new metal roof on our house and it survived its first hurricane. There are many others who weren't as lucky. Winds gusted to about 60 mph, but nothing too scary. For our area we think that Hurricane Lilli was much worse. Again, thank you everyone. I read the Dis everyday. Good luck, loveDmouse, my prayers are with you guys and the entire East coast.

ntsammy5
09-02-2008, 06:37 PM
Rog- CNN News & TWC said that 95% of gas stations in and around NOLA are out of gas.

Better check on beer, smokes, milk and bread too - that's always the first things that go in a blizzard! :lmao:

mamaloya
09-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Better check on beer, smokes, milk and bread too - that's always the first things that go in a blizzard! :lmao:

Fox News was interviewing a gas station attendant in an area being lightly hit by Gustav and asked him what he was selling the most of yesterday. He, of course, said "Beer." As long as they have the essentials, that is all that matters. And if they don't, then beer will make them not care. :lmao:

It has rained here all day long but we have not lost power. :woohoo:

Now we just have to watch out for Hanna, Ike, Josephine, and I assume Kyle is right around the corner as well.

loveDmouse
09-02-2008, 09:21 PM
Glad all you guys are doing ok.

Rog, did you make it home yet? Hope all is well.

We are keeping our eye on Hanna. Looks like she will be around just in time for race weekend. Bummer. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

AuburnJen92
09-02-2008, 09:23 PM
all the hens at work are all going nuts because the track is coming east a bit...i told them, don't bother me until tuesday, i am going camping!

now, if i have to go and put three houses worth of shutters up this weekend, i am not going to be a happy jen....

i was a happy jen this past weekend, i would like to be a happy jen this weekend...;)

Gatordad
09-02-2008, 09:28 PM
come join us behind the 7-11, we are having fun

AuburnJen92
09-02-2008, 09:29 PM
if it comes this way, i am sending chris and cj to your house!

Gatordad
09-02-2008, 09:32 PM
if it comes this way, i am sending chris and cj to your house!

cj will be a changed man. why aren't you chatting?

AuburnJen92
09-02-2008, 09:43 PM
um, i forgot, let me change that

djblu883
09-03-2008, 05:37 PM
back after the storm...not too bad in Biloxi...hwy90 is back open and traffic wasn't a nightmare getting back...I brought gas and food back . My friend needed the food and after unloading my truck he forgot to lock it and my billfold and cosmetic bag was stolen...my bank stuff got cancelled last night...remembered i had a universal ticket in the billfold....waiting to hear if they will re issue me a ticket since i am 3 months out from using it...DL and SS card will be the pill to replace!!!...but all is good...they didn't really get anything they could use because I discovered it too quickly!!!

AuburnJen92
09-03-2008, 09:29 PM
yikes! i am glad you were on top of things so quickly...

my friend had his wallet lifted and ended up going to court in two states for dui's that he didn't get!