PDA

View Full Version : POLL: How many DIS are willing to pay to play Wizard101?

Goofy05
08-29-2008, 11:31 PM
That is the question I pose to you tonight. I, myself, feel that a monthly subscription of $9.95 is a bit high for a game that consists of nothing more than battling and/or questing. I would like to see more of a community aspect within the game itself, not outside, as it's been.
Your thoughts?
Thanks!

Chedstro
08-29-2008, 11:59 PM
We are willing to pay because of the different levels of payment. It will be worth it for Bob and I.

LuvN~Travel
08-30-2008, 12:55 AM
I said yes, though I sincerely hope that they can have family accounts. Right now of course like many of you my son and I have different accounts so we can play at the same time. I don't mind the thought of paying that price for the two of us, just not twice! lol
kim

disvaclub92
08-30-2008, 01:30 AM
I know will not go for a subscription, but will probably play peeps up until I cant go further.

We are willing to pay because of the different levels of payment. It will be worth it for Bob and I.

I did not see the different levels of payments, are you talking about the "other options" in the future? (bolded below)

Hey folks, I wanted to drop a quick note about the pricing model before the game goes live. We’re going to be using a “hybrid model” for Wizard101, which means that the game will be available with limited content for Free (roughly half of Wizard City, and the PvP system which will be coming online shortly after launch.) Players can purchase unlimited access to all of Wizard101’s content in a couple of ways:

- Monthly Subscription. You can buy a recurring subscription for $9.95 per month that gives you full access to the game content, chat systems and other great benefits.
- Pre-paid subscription. You can buy a recurring subscription for 6 months or 12 months at a discounted price.

In addition, we are looking to bring other pricing options online shortly after launch:

- Time for Crowns. In addition, we’re going to allow you to buy pre-paid months using crowns. Initially crowns will be available online, and eventually (through some really cool programs that we haven’t talked about yet) we’ll provide other ways for players to get crowns, as well.
- Other pricing options that will be announced at a later date

We have a lot of exciting stuff coming down the pipe, but the first step is to get the game launched successfully … so to make that happen, we’re going to start with the traditional online game model of subscriptions and a cash shop. Stay tuned as we bring you more options post launch and, as always, enjoy the game!
Watson
Fred Howard

aliceblue
08-30-2008, 02:44 AM
No subscription for me. I've enjoyed testing the beta, but if I get to the point with a free account where there's really nothing left to do, so be it.

Halfway through Wizard City is not very much content. But theoretically, even subscribers could run out of content, because that's the nature of this kind of game. While it is very well done, it is "consumable", and that has a limited appeal for me. Granted I am a hard customer; I would have even hesitated to pay for VMK if they had offered that option.

But I know Wizard 101 needs to make money, and I wish them the best of success.

PrincessNoelle
08-30-2008, 07:04 AM
The pricing options may be $9.95 per month, $49.95 per 6 months and $79.95 per year similiar to another game I used to play. They mention buying pre-paid months with crowns which will be available online or through "cool programs they haven't talked about yet". I might wait to see what these cool programs are before I do anything.

Also was wondering, as I stated in another post, I had an Upgrade Now button on my screen that others did not have. It took me to a page that said "this page is not ready for you yet". I was talking about the Upgrade button in the game when I got a message stating that I had been reported for using bad language. It was shortly after that that I got an in game message to quit the game and log back in to get rid of that Upgrade button.

I logged out and back in on one account but not the other. The one that still had the Upgrade Now button could not get into Cyclops Lane because it was for subscribing members only. I wonder if the game sent me the message to keep me quiet.

Now I am wondering what will happen after the game launches to my wizards that have gone past this point. Will I get a message that I will not be able to play until I pay since I have gotten past their free area?

Dreamytime
08-30-2008, 08:10 AM
I think the poll and responses were formed wrong.

Will I pay to play via what they have outlined?
Yes, I will. I will most definitely pay the $9.95 as listed.

But only until I finish one player, one time, through the game.
As I am already almost in krok and have been playing just one day, I do not feel this will be a long period of time for me to find and kill the bad guy IF they have the next world available.
It does not appear to be a continuing storyline. At some point you will catch the bad guy, and they are under the assumption you will wish to start over with a new person. I, however, am very happy to finish and be done with it.
Quest mmorpg's have very little appeal to me. For example, I reached the end of the Pirates Online storyline, in one month, got to level 40, and have never logged in again. I have no secondary player in that game. I know what happens, I know how to play, and I know how it ends. Therefore, I'm done.
That was the appeal of VMK, it was never ending...but I won't go into that.

Do I feel that amount they are asking per month to be egregious?
Yes, yes, yes.

If you look at the amount asked per month, compare to other mmorpg available now, they are asking at least $5.00 more per month. I had read somewhere, but I am not certain about this, that you can have more than one log in per email address (account). I know that I have two log-ins for my one email address now. If that is how it will be, then that is a bit more fair for families. However if you are a single player, then this amount is extremely high. Also, this is marketed toward tween players. I can't imagine any tween I know paying $10 per month for this game. I can't imagine my parents paying $10 per month if they had a tween player living at home.

:wizard:

rickyratsmom
08-30-2008, 08:14 AM
No I will not get a paid account. I made that mistake with POTC and got a years subscription only to reach my maximum level after 3 months. So yeah they throw us a few new quests now and then, but basically I can log on once a month finish those and still am stuck at being a pirate master, sigh. I do enjoy this game, however that being said there are other games out there that have a larger variety of activities to do and they are FREE. Frankly the non stop grind is really not my cup of tea, but I did see they took some of my suggestions seriously and will add room building and alchemy later...

debbi801
08-30-2008, 09:14 AM
I said yes. My plan is to pre-purchase 6 month (for the discount) and see how far I go during that time, how much I still like playing, etc.

Looking back at my playing habits since VMK went away, this is the only game that I seem to log in to on a daily basis. While the social aspect is definitely lacking, I really enjoy the game itself.

While DH has enjoyed playing with me, he's already decided that he will not continue. DD never started playing, although I know she wants to. If there is some sort of family deal, we'd maybe set up a second account and have both of them on it.

The way I see it, I would have jumped at the chance to pay for play at VMK. Still would if it came back tomorrow. So, if I enjoy this game, why not help it continue? Hopefully, there will be more options as far as payng to play, free play, etc. as they get closer to launch.

Cardinal
08-30-2008, 10:42 AM
I look at it this way: the basic principles of Wizard 101 and Toontown are the same. They are both turn-based combat games, with several minigames and quests.

Toontown has established itself as a very humorous, fun, and fairly sociable game and updates regularly.

Wizard 101 has not established itself as a fun and updating game, and the community aspect of it is slim to none.

I look at it this way:
~Toontown has better minigames.
~Speedchat and True Friends chat are both superior in Toontown.
~Toontown is more community-based.
~The "grind" in Toontown is not as bad as most other games because there are so many ways of achieving one goal.
~The quests are (for the most part) on the shorter side in Toontown, and that means that you don't have to spend a whole day doing one thing. (Think of it this way, there is no tomb of the Beguiler in Toontown :rotfl2: )
~There are no costly, game-breaking Cash Shop items in Toontown.
~The music is better in Wizard 101. It's certainly not as catchy or whimsical, but it's orchestrated pretty well.
~The graphics are better in Wizard 101.
~There are better clothes options in Wizard 101.
~All mah Dis peeps play Wiz 101 (For real for real) :rotfl2:

I think that Wizard 101 is only cosmetically superior to Toontown. They both cost the same, so I think I'd go for the better game. It's even more true because it rhymes!

bevgray
08-30-2008, 11:05 AM
Keep in mind that Toontown has had several years to develop. Wizards is just starting so it's difficult to determine what will happen. Based on the quality of the game during beta, the availability of staff to answer questions, I'm willing to give them a chance and will subscribe.

Goofy05
08-30-2008, 11:14 AM
Heya! I wanted to thank everyone who's posted WHY they will or won't pay, it's very enlightening to those of us who have never paid for subscription type games. For those who do, I have a question. If you were to pay for the first month, but not the second or third, then decided to try it again later because of a new world or quest, would you then have to start a new character because you hadn't kept your original character active?
Thanks again!

Cardinal
08-30-2008, 11:14 AM
Keep in mind that Toontown has had several years to develop. Wizards is just starting so it's difficult to determine what will happen. Based on the quality of the game during beta, the availability of staff to answer questions, I'm willing to give them a chance and will subscribe.

I'm sorry, I must not have made my post clear enough. The reason I would pay to play Toontown over Wizard 101 is because it's been open for years and also because it's difficult to determine the path Wizard 101 will go down.

rickyratsmom
08-30-2008, 12:02 PM
Heya! I wanted to thank everyone who's posted WHY they will or won't pay, it's very enlightening to those of us who have never paid for subscription type games. For those who do, I have a question. If you were to pay for the first month, but not the second or third, then decided to try it again later because of a new world or quest, would you then have to start a new character because you hadn't kept your original character active?
Thanks again!

Can't say for sure with Wizards, but with POTC and Club penguin you keep your old character, you are simply limited to what you can accesss and do until you renew or upgrade to pay to play. :)

PrincessNoelle
08-30-2008, 12:12 PM
I'm sorry, I must not have made my post clear enough. The reason I would pay to play Toontown over Wizard 101 is because it's been open for years and also because it's difficult to determine the path Wizard 101 will go down.

The reason I would pay to play Wizard 101 over Toontown is because after all these years, TT still has so many issues. The customer services stinks whereas so far Wizard 101 has been great. I finally had to report TT to the Better Business Bureau after a year of trying to get an issue resolved. Funny how it was resolved the following week. I currently have two active TT accounts that I haven't used since the announcement that VMK was closing and I will be cancelling them when the year is up.

For those who do, I have a question. If you were to pay for the first month, but not the second or third, then decided to try it again later because of a new world or quest, would you then have to start a new character because you hadn't kept your original character active?
Thanks again!

Not sure what Wizard will do but in TT you can let your subscription expire and the toon information is left on their servers for if and when you want to return.

goldengourd
08-30-2008, 01:11 PM
I put undecided, because although I probably won't pay for one for myself, I really do think that the amount is reasonable subscription compared to other on-line game subscriptions.

TLinden16
08-30-2008, 01:25 PM
I think the $10 a month is high, but if the six or 12 months discounts are good enough, I may consider signing up for a six month membership.

aliceblue
08-30-2008, 02:09 PM
The one that still had the Upgrade Now button could not get into Cyclops Lane because it was for subscribing members only.Doesn't the content in Cyclops Lane, Triton Ave., Firecat Alley and Colossus Blvd. make up a lot more than half of Wizard City's game time? (The earlier quests fly by very quickly.) It sounds to me like the free account is more of a free week's trial, at the most. (For second-timers, I mean. I know it took a lot longer for me the first time around.)Now I am wondering what will happen after the game launches to my wizards that have gone past this point. Will I get a message that I will not be able to play until I pay since I have gotten past their free area?I am wondering that too.

Candlz
09-02-2008, 08:42 AM
As of this morning they are offering a $60 subscription for a year. This offer is good until Monday the 8th. I wish I had copied the direct post, it was on the wizard forums this morning. The forums are down now.

We will be buying two. One for my husband and one for me. My son's account will go under my husband (hopefully they will transfer the character, otherwise I will to start him over).

It did give me pause when I read it. When my husband read it he immediatly went looking for a place to pay.

He and I have had so much fun over the past few months playing this game. There is not as much content as toontown, but I can't get him on that and I also will let our subcription run out on that do to VMK closing.

I like that anytime I have written directly to them (wizards) I get a real human response quickly.

As far as reaching the end of the game quickly, since the wipe we have really been savoring the game. We have been beating the bosses over and over to get the good loot, actually reading what the NPC's say when you are sent on a new task etc. just enjoying rather than getting to the end ASAP.

Even if it was $10 a month with no discount it is still less than the cost of us both going to a movie... so I would rather budget my entertainment in this way...

aengus
09-02-2008, 08:57 AM
That sounds reasonable to me, I believe I will probably get myself a year subscription. Candlz prior they had been implying you would get 2 accounts for your subscription did you see language that disputed that?

HappyGoLucky
09-02-2008, 09:36 AM
This is what was posted on the Wizard101 Central Web site by Professor Greyrose:

School is officially in Session!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KingsIsle Entertainment is very happy to announce the launch of our first title, Wizard101.

To celebrate, we are offering a 1-year subscription for only $60! Thatís a 50% savings off the monthly subscription rate! This offer will only be available until Monday, Sept. 8th. Subscribing will also give you access to text chat, posting on the forums, getting more powerful equipment/clothing/pets, and teleporting anywhere to friends and family.

Subscriptions will be $9.95/month, $49.95/6 months, or $79.95/ year.

See you in Wizard City!

Candlz
09-02-2008, 09:37 AM
I didn't see anything in regards to that either way...

It did say when you subcribe you would be given access to open chat, equiptment (pet and clothes etc) upgrades and a few other things that are slipping my mind atm.

They rearranged the forums too. They added sub forums for each of the areas.

This was only up for a few minutes this morning. I am willing to bet when i comes back up we will be able to subcribe.

aengus
09-02-2008, 09:48 AM
This is what was posted on the Wizard101 Central Web site by Professor Greyrose:

School is officially in Session!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KingsIsle Entertainment is very happy to announce the launch of our first title, Wizard101.

To celebrate, we are offering a 1-year subscription for only $60! Thatís a 50% savings off the monthly subscription rate! This offer will only be available until Monday, Sept. 8th. Subscribing will also give you access to text chat, posting on the forums, getting more powerful equipment/clothing/pets, and teleporting anywhere to friends and family.

Subscriptions will be $9.95/month, $49.95/6 months, or $79.95/ year.

See you in Wizard City!

I didn't see anything in regards to that either way...

It did say when you subcribe you would be given access to open chat, equiptment (pet and clothes etc) upgrades and a few other things that are slipping my mind atm.

They rearranged the forums too. They added sub forums for each of the areas.

This was only up for a few minutes this morning. I am willing to bet when i comes back up we will be able to subcribe.

Thanks for that info HappyGoLucky :)

hmmm well the regular price is right in line with what they were saying before with 2 accounts so perhaps you wont need to purchase 2 different packages Candlz
:banana:

Guess we sit and wait for more info huh? popcorn::

Cardinal
09-02-2008, 09:57 AM
The reason I would pay to play Wizard 101 over Toontown is because after all these years, TT still has so many issues. The customer services stinks whereas so far Wizard 101 has been great. I finally had to report TT to the Better Business Bureau after a year of trying to get an issue resolved. Funny how it was resolved the following week. I currently have two active TT accounts that I haven't used since the announcement that VMK was closing and I will be cancelling them when the year is up.

I think you just may have had some bad luck. I've experienced that the TT customer service reps are extremely nice, and I've certainly have my share of problems.

(Lets' remember the three P's of Customer Service:
-Patience
-Parlay
-Punderstanding)

PrincessNoelle
09-02-2008, 09:58 AM
What were they saying about two accounts before?

TLinden16
09-02-2008, 10:00 AM
If that $60 for one year rate is up, I probably will give it a year, but I don't think I would go beyond the year for more than that.

Cardinal
09-02-2008, 10:04 AM
I would not pay for a years subscription. Look at Pirates. People can pay for a year's subscription and finish the game in less than half a year. Wizard 101 is even smaller than POTCO and I bet that some people will finish the main game in two months. Then what?

Candlz
09-02-2008, 10:11 AM
I would not pay for a years subscription. Look at Pirates. People can pay for a year's subscription and finish the game in less than half a year. Wizard 101 is even smaller than POTCO and I bet that some people will finish the main game in two months. Then what?

How is that different than spending $60 on a WII game and being done is a month and then what...

In other news, LOL

Everything is up and you can not move past wizard city if you do not subscribe... which you can not do right now, lol

PrincessPaisley
09-02-2008, 10:18 AM
According to the Wizard 101 subscription site players with a paid subscription are able to access the following areas:

Wizard City (15 areas)
Krokotopia (17 Areas)
Marleybone (10 Areas)
Moo Shu (12 Areas)
Dragonspyre (12 Areas)
Future Worlds

The reduced price of the 1 year subscription interests me, however I am hesitant to purchase because I have already advanced to Krokotopia, and there just isn't a years worth of game content even if they add additional worlds.

Dreamytime
09-02-2008, 10:21 AM

I would probably be done, like you said, in a couple months. I can't imagine paying $80/year even $60/year for this game. I didn't even pay for a full year of Pirates. There truly isn't any continuation value...you will reach a level...and end....and I would probably finish the game, in its entirety, within 2-3 months.

Then what? Make another to fight the dark fairies and deal with the horrible street fights in Marleybone. I really don't think that I something I would ever do.

I am actually redoing this avatar out of necessity only. I have this OCD thing that compels me to complete a task in full. Getting to Mooshu and not completing the game before the wipe is upsetting to me. I wish to complete this game.

It is the same drive that I had to complete my pirate avatar. And the same 'task complete' feeling that has allowed me to walk away from POTCO without logging in again will be that same feeling I will have when I walk away from Wizard101 and begin my search for a new game.

Once again I could invoke the VMK reputation of the never-ending, never-expiring, always fun game...but that just depresses me over my peach yogurt and bagel. So... I won't.

aengus
09-02-2008, 10:21 AM
How is that different than spending $60 on a WII game and being done is a month and then what...

In other news, LOL

Everything is up and you can not move past wizard city if you do not subscribe... which you can not do right now, lol

I was just checking it out, I would write them and ask if you get 2 accounts for a subscription, they had given out some info about that previously.

I am most likely going to go ahead with a year subscription, I have really enjoyed it to the point that I feel I already got $60 worth of entertainment out of it and I never have been beyond Krok ROFL

I have a few questions I want to send them before I commit.

Belle1997
09-02-2008, 10:36 AM
My hubby and I will be subscribing. As this is the first game every we have enjoyed playing together. And the $60.00 for the year is an excellent offer.

So nice to have him help me in the game and vise versa. He never liked VMK much so this is a definate for us :)

Candlz
09-02-2008, 10:59 AM
I was just checking it out, I would write them and ask if you get 2 accounts for a subscription, they had given out some info about that previously.

I wrote and asked. I will let you know.

I wish they had given us a few days notice here.... I am totally stuck until Thurseday...

Dreamytime
09-02-2008, 11:07 AM

I have 2 log-ins associated with my 1 email address.
When I go to the update window I am charged for 2 x the price.
So 1 month is $19.90 or 1 year is $120.

There will not be any discount for 'family' accounts apparently.

Belle1997
09-02-2008, 11:19 AM
Well I went to sign up and it will not accept my Canadian postal code. Very bad slip up I would think or is this only for Americans? So I could not subscribe. How can they mess that up?

I hope I am not waiting forever for a response.

aliceblue
09-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Ah, well. So much for getting to Krok before the launch.

Now to see what kind of limitations they have put on free accounts.

Dreamytime
09-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Well I went to sign up and it will not accept my Canadian postal code. Very bad slip up I would think or is this only for Americans? So I could not subscribe. How can they mess that up?

I hope I am not waiting forever for a response.

Maybe they have read this post (http://lifestyle.sympatico.msn.ca/Are+we+all+Americans+now/Special+Guides/Book+Guide/ContentPostingBOOKGUIDE?isfa=1&newsitemid=92466706-5724-4280-9707-fac0baf65491&feedname=RandomHouse&show=False&number=0&showbyline=True&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc&date=Fal) on the Canadian MSN...We are ALL Americans!! Haha...

Sorry, though, hope they fix that for you!

LafChill
09-02-2008, 11:30 AM

This (https://www.wizard101.com/upgradenow) page has a chart that shows the differences.

aengus
09-02-2008, 11:32 AM

it appears to be more a trial rather than any kind of viable playing option. You can see the options at the main website.

Even though I completely plan on becoming a subscriber, I feel a couple negatives need to be expressed.

#1 Maybe we were naive but they never made the free option sound like just a game trial in the past. They made it sound like you just wouldn't have access to some of the things subscribers would have.

#2 Wheres the communication? Everyone would not have a problem when you are up front about these things. MMOG's need to learn their worlds create a community and it becomes more than just a game. Turning off areas to people over night without warning was not in good taste. Or did I miss some announcement??

As I have pointed out, there are many positives in this game, I intend to continue playing as a subscriber. There will be no hug fest from me when they screw up @_@ and they screwed this up.

Belle I hope they straighten out your situation soon

Belle1997
09-02-2008, 11:36 AM
Maybe they have read this post (http://lifestyle.sympatico.msn.ca/Are+we+all+Americans+now/Special+Guides/Book+Guide/ContentPostingBOOKGUIDE?isfa=1&newsitemid=92466706-5724-4280-9707-fac0baf65491&feedname=RandomHouse&show=False&number=0&showbyline=True&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc&date=Fal) on the Canadian MSN...We are ALL Americans!! Haha...

Sorry, though, hope they fix that for you!

Ha ha like we do not know that:rotfl2: We are one big North American Family.

Ok I tried to call and got voice mail so have no idea if that will even be listened too. Has anyone registered and got a direct billing number or customer service number thanks.

I was going to buy crowns more on impulse so now I had time to think about it and nope no crowns for you. Thanks for saving me some money.

But I think for the inconvience and having to leave 2 long distant telephone calls in prime time I should get crowns for free :)

TLinden16
09-02-2008, 11:47 AM
Wow. I didn't realize they completely shut it off. I played on Krokotopia this morning before work, so that must have happened after 7:15 eastern time. It would have been nice if there was notice, or even if they changed things with the wipe.

I wish that they had made all of Wizard City open to non-subscribers. I figured that everything beyond Krokotopia would be subscription, and Wizard City would be free (at least that's what I was hoping).

BobRichmond
09-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Ok here is all the information in 1 long message with pieces copied from the Wizards website!;)

Benefits of subscibing:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b356/BobRichmond/SubscriptionBenefits-1.jpg

Costs of subscription:
"
For a limited time, you can purchase a one-year subscription for only $60
50% savings off the regularly monthly subscription!

1-month subscription for $9.95
6-month subscription for $49.95
Regularly priced one-year subscription $79.95
"
Note: The "limited time" is presently till Monday, September 8th.

Costs of crowns:
"
2500 Crowns for $5
5000 Crowns for $10
13750 Crowns for $25 1250 Extra Crowns FREE
30000 Crowns for $50 5000 Extra Crowns FREE
60000 Crowns for $80 20000 Extra Crowns FREE
"

Dreamytime
09-02-2008, 11:51 AM
It would have been nice if there was notice, or even if they changed things with the wipe.

Yes. That would have been very nice. And, personally, 1 week's notice, for many families, to come up with $60, $120, $180 and up for this game is a bit of a stretch. Had they given some notice, this is when we look to go live, then it would allow some of the kids and their families time to prepare.

There are going to be MANY upset kids when they get home from school today.

Chedstro
09-02-2008, 11:55 AM
They are working on fixing the Canadian thing :thumbsup2

BobRichmond
09-02-2008, 11:57 AM
...#1 Maybe we were naive but they never made the free option sound like just a game trial in the past. They made it sound like you just wouldn't have access to some of the things subscribers would have...
As you and others may know, Cindy and I have an insider for this game and this is what we were told.

The developers really like playing the duel arena and they thought adding it to the free play option was a great deal for those that can not afford paying.

Chedstro
09-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Oops, correction made above.

OctoPie
09-02-2008, 12:07 PM
I have no possible way of paying I am leaving i am sorry

Belle1997
09-02-2008, 12:07 PM
They are working on fixing the Canadian thing :thumbsup2

Thanks Sea I knew you would know if they were and since I know you have an inside you would be able to send an sos. :)

It would just be sad if we got home tonight and not be able to play. But then again my hubby and I could take out our frustraton in the duel area :)

Chedstro
09-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Oh one further thing. Once you pay and get the "thanks..." message on the website you will immediate get access to the pay only areas. If you are logged into the game when you pay you may have to logout or shut Wizards down completely, but I am not sure if you will even have to do that.

aengus
09-02-2008, 12:17 PM
As you and others may know, Cindy and I have an insider for this game and this is what we were told.

The developers really like playing the duel arena and they thought adding it to the free play option was a great deal for those that can not afford paying.

That is nice, no doubt.

I think this game is worth paying for, I just wish the free area didnt appear so much like nothing but a trial to see if your in or not. If they had stressed earlier on that free is meant only as a trial, there wouldnt be so many broken hearts right now.

It was also a privelidge for many of us to play a product that was obviously polished, graphically pleasing, and a great concept. Many of us had quite a long run and I am grateful for all the time we shared in there and our DIS meets and all that teamwork. Thank you to all of you who will be retiring now, you left a positive influence in this game.

LittleWoodenHead
09-02-2008, 12:29 PM
#2 Wheres the communication? Everyone would not have a problem when you are up front about these things. MMOG's need to learn their worlds create a community and it becomes more than just a game. Turning off areas to people over night without warning was not in good taste. Or did I miss some announcement??

As I have pointed out, there are many positives in this game, I intend to continue playing as a subscriber. There will be no hug fest from me when they screw up @_@ and they screwed this up.
ITA, aengus. :thumbsup2

In fact, reading their message last week about the Pioneer Dragons --
The Pioneer Dragons will only be available for purchase from Friday, August 29th until Wednesday, September 3rd at 7:00 a.m. Central Standard Time.
-- lead me to believe the launch would happen tomorrow at the earliest.

Looks like TPTB at Wizard101 jumped the gun by a day. Yet another BAD MOVE, KingsIsle. :sad2:

aliceblue
09-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Does the Duel Arena give you any experience points?

I wouldn't mind the limitations as much if I knew I could still level up to get some higher spells. What is the best way to do that now? I have no more quests I can do.

Kind of surprised they included Triton Ave. but not Cyclops Lane in the free areas, as logistically Cyclops Lane seems to come up sooner in the quests. Guess I'll be hanging out with my old pal the Kraken a lot.

PrincessNoelle
09-02-2008, 12:35 PM
2500 Crowns for $5
5000 Crowns for $10
13750 Crowns for $25 1250 Extra Crowns FREE
30000 Crowns for $50 5000 Extra Crowns FREE
60000 Crowns for $80 20000 Extra Crowns FREE

I am really undecided. We have two logins. I was anticipating it being set up like TT. On TT, we have the same e-mail address but two different logins which is the only way for us to play together so I have to pay for two accounts. My TT accounts are due to expire next month and I didn't plan to renew them. Two accounts on Wizard 101 would be cheaper than TT if I paid for them now. My biggest concern is the crown issue. How do I know that one good outfit is not going to cost 2500 crowns or more? This where the game could become very costly. They had mentioned another option for getting crowns. I wish I had more information about this. I don't mind looking like a combination of three different vegetables but my daughter would definitely have to learn to bargain shop. (Just like in real life. :rolleyes1 )

Cardinal
09-02-2008, 01:02 PM

I don't see where you are going with that. Wii games and online games are in pretty different leagues here.

Let's say you buy a Wii game (I think that the Super Smash Brothers game is the closest to Wizards, but I only have like three Wii games so I wouldn't know ;) ). Now, if you beat it in a month or so, you can do a couple of things with it:

~Keep it and play it again in a year or so, or when friends come over
~Sell it to a video game store for about half the price
~Sell it to a friend for about $45-$50

There is a big difference between subscribing to an online game and a Wii game because a Wii game is tangible. Buying a years worth of play time from Wizard 101 is not a tangible item and once your year is up, you can't do anything with it.

(By the way, if you beat any game in a month you have either a) spent too much time playing it or b) chosen a bad game :laughing: )

PrincessNoelle
09-02-2008, 01:31 PM
An online game has the potential for developing into something else whereas a Wii game is just going to sit there.

Cardinal
09-02-2008, 01:37 PM
An online game has the potential for developing into something else whereas a Wii game is just going to sit there.

But when you buy a Wii game it is complex, full, and complete, much unlike the bare-bones game that Wizards appears to be right now.

I'm not arguing against online games, I'm just saying that Wizards is too small for someone to buy a full year's subscription.

aengus
09-02-2008, 01:45 PM
But when you buy a Wii game it is complex, full, and complete, much unlike the bare-bones game that Wizards appears to be right now.

I'm not arguing against online games, I'm just saying that Wizards is too small for someone to buy a full year's subscription.

My son can beat wii games in less than a day. I actually see wizards as having way more content than a typical console game. I dont look at wizards as bare-bones at all.

I agree there are major differences between a console game and a online game, but only in that if someone decides to pull the plug on the game (cough disney cough) then I cant throw my dvd in the console and play it.

On the plus side, wizard can continue adding worlds (hopefully they will) and it doesnt have to be canned like typically most console games are.

debbi801
09-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Does anyone know if one account would be able to be used from 2 computers at the same time? Like, if we created DH's wizard under my account, could he and I both be logged in and playing our different wizards together?

I'm thinking not, but it was worth asking.

aengus
09-02-2008, 01:50 PM
Does anyone know if one account would be able to be used from 2 computers at the same time? Like, if we created DH's wizard under my account, could he and I both be logged in and playing our different wizards together?

a couple of us are waiting for that answer will post if I hear anything. My son started playing like 2 days ago go figure :rotfl:

Dreamytime
09-02-2008, 01:52 PM

No. You have to have 2 separate log-ins which means you have to have 2 separate accounts.

The accounts can be managed from 1 'parent' log-in associated with 1 email address, but you have to have 2 separate log-ins and 2 separate paid accounts.

TLinden16
09-02-2008, 02:58 PM
I figured that you wouldn't be able to have two wizards logged on at the same time on one account, but how many wizards are you allowed on your account. Can I play my secondary wizard still? Or do I have to pay for a secondary wizard?

Lauralee
09-02-2008, 03:07 PM
So no family plan then? I've had so much fun playing Wizard 101 with my son. We've been talking this morning about if it's worth the money to buy two subscriptions or not, even at a year-long deal for $60, $120 for the two of us.

Might there be some work around? In POTC I have the paid subscription. My son has the free version. Disney provided a way with POTC for us to attach/link his free account to my paid account, so he also can play unlimited.

Not trying to pick on the game here -- but -- did anybody else get frustrated in Marleybone by being drug into street fights you didn't want to join? I did the fast-foot shuffle and followed the baddies, tried walking down the middle of the street, every J-walking trick I could come up with, and still got dragged into them. This issue is also a big part of my decision whether to continue with the game or not. Was Moo Shoo this bad too?

debbi801
09-02-2008, 03:11 PM
No. You have to have 2 separate log-ins which means you have to have 2 separate accounts.

The accounts can be managed from 1 'parent' log-in associated with 1 email address, but you have to have 2 separate log-ins and 2 separate paid accounts.

Thanks. That's what I thought, but it was worth a shot.

I figured that you wouldn't be able to have two wizards logged on at the same time on one account, but how many wizards are you allowed on your account. Can I play my secondary wizard still? Or do I have to pay for a secondary wizard?

I don't know for sure, but I would think you'd still be able to have your multiple wizards on one account the way you do now. (At least I am hoping so.) I like the difference in play using wizards from a variety of schools.

DH and I are trying to figure out whether to share one account or splurge for 2. As he said, this is the first time we both have liked a game enough to play together. Our anniversary is coming up on Friday, we might splurge and get 2 accounts instead of dinner out. :goodvibes

TLinden16
09-02-2008, 03:13 PM
Not trying to pick on the game here -- but -- did anybody else get frustrated in Marleybone by being drug into street fights you didn't want to join? I did the fast-foot shuffle and followed the baddies, tried walking down the middle of the street, every J-walking trick I could come up with, and still got dragged into them. This issue is also a big part of my decision whether to continue with the game or not. Was Moo Shoo this bad too?

That happened to me all the time in Marleybone. Drove me nuts! It was especially frustrating when you weren't anywhere near them and they dragged you in. I didn't place Moo Shu enough to know if that happens there.

Anvilhead
09-02-2008, 03:23 PM
The game has provided hours and hours of entertainment for me and my family. It certainly has more bang for the buck than moives. I've already subscribed. :)

PrincessNoelle
09-02-2008, 03:37 PM

I have wizards all over the place and have asked if they can be moved to one account. Will let you know what they say.

Dreamytime
09-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Mooshu...I rarely got pulled into a street fight. The walkways are much nicer.

I believe that you can have your 8 different 'students' on your one log-in.

Personally I am going to pay for 1 month. I believe that I can finish it completely in 4 weeks as I am already well into Krok.
Then I guess I am going to be searching for a new -sigh - game to play.

LittleWoodenHead
09-02-2008, 04:25 PM
You can have up to 6 wizards on one account. Iíve been playing my secondary already today, and am about to create a third.

The game has provided hours and hours of entertainment for me and my family. It certainly has more bang for the buck than moives. I've already subscribed. :)
As have I, my friend. (Now if we could just meet up in the game so I can get you back on my list!)

I opted for the year plan, hoping that KingsIsle will make it worthwhile. Disney certainly hasnít (so far) with Pirates Online. I took the year plan there, too Ė at the same price as W101 Ė yet there has been no real story content added since the initial launch last November.

ADDED NOTE: The Pioneer Dragons are still available from Zeke in Olde Towne. So if any subscribers have bought crowns, you can get dragons for your secondary/extra wizards today.

Belle1997
09-02-2008, 04:25 PM
Well it is 4:30 eastern standard time and Sitll non US residence can not subscribe. So it is safe to say any wizards you see in Cyclops, fire Alley and Krokotopia etc are all US residence.

I am so annoyed. At the very least they could have unlocked the whole game until this issue is figured out. To me this is bad customer service.

I know they are aware of it. But until they do us Non residence are stuck to basically nothing. Penalized for there accounting program mistake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I did not enjoy this game so much I would walk away by now. So any not sure this may just be the thing that has them walk away.

How long can it take to get the address box to change to allow other countries to play. Must be a credit card issue.

So you will find me in the dueling area / or window shopping doing nothing tonight with little pixie fairdust tears running down her face :(

PrincessNoelle
09-02-2008, 04:40 PM
Once again I could invoke the VMK reputation of the never-ending, never-expiring, always fun game...but that just depresses me over my peach yogurt and bagel. So... I won't.

If only Disney had a clue. The never-ending, never-expiring, (most of the time cough pirate quest cough) fun game is what we have all been looking for, at least I have, and have not been able to find yet. Maybe I will call them up at Disney Online and make the suggestion that they re-open VMK. :rotfl2:

Sundowner76
09-02-2008, 04:49 PM
I'm seriously considering paying (assuming my paycheck goes through okay) for the following reasons, some of which you all have so wonderfully discussed already (to my pleasure, since I was on the fence).

1) I do purchase video games for my XBox 360. Even though this is not a strict analogy to purchasing a subscription based game, I can say this: I usually buy role playing games that give me a story I can play through and that lasts several months. Usually 100 to 120 hours. I generally pay about $60 for those games. Though I don't know if it logs hours that I can see, I have already spent quite a bit of enjoyable time over the last few months on Wizards and figure I have quite a bit of playing time left.

2) Sure I can sell agame back afterwards on the Xbox, but usually for not that much after I'm done with it (many months after it came out). Plus, I'm not always left with tangible, sellable goods when I travel (another form of paying for entertaining experiences).

3) I have netflix, which costs more per month than Wizards and gives me less time for my buck.

4) The deal given us right now isn't bad if we figure that several of us plan on trying it out for six months. We are currently given the offer to spend $60 for six months (monthly plan), $50 for six months (6 month plan) or $60 for six months and then six months for free (the year plan as it stands with the soon to expire deal). If you can commit to six months using the year plan, then it's a nice deal to only pay ten dollars more for another six months over the six month plan. I hope that all makes sense.

5) Comparing other things, it is less than the cost of one dinner at a nice restaurant per month.

Other than those who don't personally agree on the value (and a lot of valid points have been made), I think a lot of the problem is going to be from folks who can't prepay, who can't pay in the next week, or who have other competing monetary commitments. I do wish the offer for a year would last for beta members for the next month or so rather than expiring in less than a week.

I'm feeling like it's a good decision, but I will say I will probably drag my feet for a day or two just because I'm like that with monetary commitments.

Hope to see some of you around post wipe, post payments.

aliceblue
09-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Not trying to pick on the game here -- but -- did anybody else get frustrated in Marleybone by being drug into street fights you didn't want to join? I did the fast-foot shuffle and followed the baddies, tried walking down the middle of the street, every J-walking trick I could come up with, and still got dragged into them. This issue is also a big part of my decision whether to continue with the game or not. Was Moo Shoo this bad too?Frankly, my horrible lag in Marleybone plus those impossible streets were the ultimate factors for me deciding not to subscribe. I regret that I did not get around to posting about it in their forums before the launch, because now as a non-subscriber I cannot, and I think they need to be aware just how much this can affect the attractiveness of the game.

I came very close to being tempted by the half-off subscription price, and would have enjoyed going through Mooshu, but having to go through Marleybone to get there was a show-stopper.So you will find me in the dueling area / or window shopping doing nothing tonight with little pixie fairdust tears running down her face :(So sorry, Belle! Hopefully they will remedy the problem soon.

bevgray
09-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Belle, this was just posted on the Wizard Forums in the Headmaster Tower forum.

"Hurray!
International players are now able to successfully enter their region information and subscribe and/or buy crowns!

Thank you to all our international players who messaged us.

See you in Wizard City!"

budcollector
09-02-2008, 05:08 PM
i subscribed and took the Year Special, [buy 6 get 6 is the way i look at it] crowns seem a bit high but if ya wanna be a sharp dressed wizard ya gotta pay.
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l27/gvice/new1_edited.jpg

Dreamytime
09-02-2008, 05:28 PM
......but if ya wanna be a sharp dressed wizard ya gotta pay.

Looks like you got some of that high-priced pioneer dragon skin on those boots of yours. :P

Chedstro
09-02-2008, 05:29 PM
I just wanted to mention that W101 is a *very* open-ended game. It is not the kind of game that you can "finish."

I know from "reliable sources" that there are many new lands and features currently in development and in planning stages.:thumbsup2

bevgray
09-02-2008, 05:34 PM
I assumed that was the case based on their forum discussion about ideas for new worlds. Keep in mind that Everquest, the old online Ultima, WoW, add content as the games are developed.

Our disadvantage is that we're at the kick off so that there will be some wait times as the content rolls out. I'll use that time to play POTC or work up another wizard in a different school.

The quality of the game and the staff's willingness to communicate convinced me to subscribe at least for now. I think they have the potential to have a terrific, long-term game and am willing to take the gamble.

Sundowner76
09-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Hmm... been reading through everyone's thoughts on the official forum on the Wizard 101 site.

I now know for sure I am going to subscribe, but I think I'm going to do it at the monthly price for the moment. I think they have done a great job with the discounted rate for the full year, but the decision goes down to this for me:

1) Is there enough content for the full six months and will Wizard last that long? I'm hoping there will be, but the decision to pay the full $60 is based on risk.

2) Will there be subscription deals/sales later? Again, always a possibility, and again a risk.

3) Where will I be timewise in the next year? I'm starting my teaching on Saturdays again this week, which cuts off my time I can play.

4) Will I know anyone online, particularly Dis people I have grown to enjoy the company of through VMK and now Wizards?

5) How much time will I play per month? Though I heavily enjoy the game now, I do admit it is a bit repetitive in terms of its quests (as any RPG is). Will the story and challenge keep me interested? (the true test of any role playing game)

So I will see some of you around on Wizard 101, but for now on a month to month basis until I'm ready to commit. I do know that I will get my money's worth in the next month or two (only 20 dollars! that's not bad at all), but if they add in more, then they will keep my interest and I may commit to a longer plan.

Sundowner76
09-02-2008, 06:22 PM
I really hate posting twice in a row, but I've just spent a lot of time reading reports from others and trying to make a decision of whether or not to go forward with Wizard 101. I've also seen a lot of less moderated boards go crazy with complaints, flame wars, etc. over the whole thing.

Maybe these thoughts will help:

To sum up, the discussion for many is based on these two factors:

1) value - is the game right now worth the money at the current price structure?
2) risk - will the game be worthwhile in the future? will they add enough content, higher levels, more worlds? Will the game be sustainable?

For those who have issues with the value and risk, I offer these recommendations:

1) If it isn't worth your time at any cost, then find something else. Vote with your voice once on the boards and then vote with your pocketbook and leave.

2) For those of you who like the game and think it is worth some of your money, but are worried about what the game might turn into, then decide on a value of what you played in beta. In other words, if the game never continued adding content and only had what it did in beta, how much are you willing to spend to play it through to the end of the beta version in MooShu? If that's ten dollars to replay, then play for a month and decide then whether you want to continue. If it's $20 and it will take you that long to get there, then play for two months. If your level is $30, then give it three months on a monthly plan. Make the decision based on what you think the value is worth for what you KNOW you will get based on beta. This way, you get your money's worth no matter what and then you can see if you want to invest further if the new worlds and content are worth it. You are out nothing.

3) For those of you who like the game and believe it has a future, and you want to support that future being possible, then save some money on a great deal and go for the yearly special they are offering this week. You get six months for free after paying the six month, month by month price.

Now what I do agree on the most is the need for a multiple user per household discount... it's just good business sense.

Really, the entire decision to play the game at this point for individuals is based on the decisions I listed above. Find your price point/value cost for what you've seen already in beta and then figure out your level of risk/belief in the future of the game. The value decision can be made by a lot of things (comparisons to other games, comparisons to other time you could spend doing other things, budget). The risk decision basically helps you figure out which plan, if any, you want to be put on.

I'm going to give it two months. My price point is $20 to replay the game to the level i was at in beta. If I see further value beyond that, I will continue. If not, I got my money's worth out of the whole thing.

See you guys in Wizard 101. :)

aengus
09-02-2008, 06:37 PM
I pretty much evaluated in the same manner as sundowner76

I went with the annual

At the pace I play the game the $60 value was to good for me to pass up

I even bought $10 in crowns (impulse buy last minute, see this is why I am not allowed to food shop :rotfl: )

PizzaCaptain
09-02-2008, 06:53 PM
What are crowns? Is that like the cash on Wizard101?

~ Pizza

aliceblue
09-02-2008, 07:20 PM
I just wanted to mention that W101 is a *very* open-ended game. It is not the kind of game that you can "finish."

I know from "reliable sources" that there are many new lands and features currently in development and in planning stages.:thumbsup2I know you cannot say much, but do you think some of the features might trickle down to the free accounts? (I know the lands will be for subscribers.)

BlueSneakerGal
09-02-2008, 07:21 PM
I came very close to being tempted by the half-off subscription price, and would have enjoyed going through Mooshu, but having to go through Marleybone to get there was a show-stopper.

I am waffling for exactly the same reason! There was one night in Marley when I *finally* made it to the area I needed to get to for some battles... (some street fights I was pulled into I fought and others had me exhausted and I fled) and then the little monsters wouldn't give up the goods! I needed one thing (I can't remember what now) and I fought eight of the beasties and still didn't collect the goods. I think I spent two hours trying to complete that quest and was so frustrated. It was not fun for me at all. Do I want to pay for that? :confused3

I wonder how crowded the dueling area will be now. I'm sure I would enjoy battling some fellow disers. Do we know yet if we can level up and get more cards if we don't subscribe?

AZCat
09-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Put me down for the year. I'm very hopeful that content will continue to be rolled out. Considering that this is the 3rd time I have gotten Padric Firestalker to Marleybone, the game has provided hours of entertainment value. Now off to find some rats and cats in Chelsea. :wizard:

disvaclub92
09-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Put me down for the year. I'm very hopeful that content will continue to be rolled out. Considering that this is the 3rd time I have gotten Padric Firestalker to Marleybone, the game has provided hours of entertainment value. Now off to find some rats and cats in Chelsea. :wizard:

Woot!! Way to go Cat!!

Also, glad to know they are letting others outside the US signup. I met some wonderful people from the UK would hate to see them at a disadvantage in not being able to sign-up.

I am torn, that discount is a great deal for those who can do it. Unfortunately, its just a bad time of year for me with school starting, fall sports season, and all the fun fees that go with it. I wish they could have given a little longer time then 6 days, but hey it is better than 48 hours. ;)

I was really hoping that this would be the game that a family could play together, but it seems we would all have to pay for a subscription. Wonder how many families are joining with separate accounts?

aliceblue
09-02-2008, 07:46 PM
Do we know yet if we can level up and get more cards if we don't subscribe?I'm very curious, too. Maybe someone close to their next training point level can report back on this.

I'm about a third of the way into level 11, and it's going to take a long time to finish it, since I'm out of quests. Spirit Armor seems a bit redundant for a Life Wizard stuck in Wizard City, but I sure miss my Storm Shark and hope I can get it back!

Do any of you other Life wizards remember what level you were at when you got your Nature's Wrath spell? I'm thinking I was into Marleybone before I got mine, right before the wipe. I hope they offer free accounts the option to buy crowns. I wouldn't mind buying some Slippers of Wrath, just because I love that spell.

Edit: Well, what do you know! Apparently, I can buy crowns for my free account. :thumbsup2

BriarRosie
09-02-2008, 07:51 PM
I'm going to do the 1 year subscription. I played all the way through Mooshu last time, and I've got this OCD desire to bring myself back to where I was. :laughing:

Dreamytime
09-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Do any of you other Life wizards remember what level you were at when you got your Nature's Wrath spell? I'm thinking I was into Marleybone before I got mine, right before the wipe. I hope they offer free accounts the option to buy crowns. I wouldn't mind buying some Slippers of Wrath, just because I love that spell.

I just got mine at level 12.
You have to do the Golem Tower again to get it.

aliceblue
09-02-2008, 07:59 PM
I just got mine at level 12.
You have to do the Golem Tower again to get it.Was that part of a quest, or did you just initiate it yourself?

Dreamytime
09-02-2008, 08:07 PM
Was that part of a quest, or did you just initiate it yourself?

At 12 I was called in to see my teacher. There were several things beforehand, but ultimately it ended with doing Golem Tower. As I had not done Golem before I had to complete it 2 times! haha!!

BlueSneakerGal
09-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Either there's a bug right now... or you lose open chat with a free account. :sad1:

LafChill
09-02-2008, 08:40 PM
I signed up for the year as well... I figure since I've gotten my various wizards through over 200 levels so far that the deal for a year will be well worth it for me. I love getting the feel for different schools and spell combinations. So far I've completed Mooshu on two, with one going to grandmaster, brought two to MB and four to Krok amongst the various wipes.

Either there's a bug right now... or you lose open chat with a free account. :sad1:

You do lose open chat on the free account. It is listed that way in the comparison table.

JGoof
09-02-2008, 09:03 PM
I am addicted to that game and can't wait to see the new world.

I figured $60 is the price of a video game. So I am in for a year. :cool1:

Not sure i will buy crowns. So far, I am in Kroktopia, aside from the spell card, the clothes i wear seem better than what i can buy from Zeke. And I have over 9000 golds.

aliceblue
09-02-2008, 09:07 PM
You do lose open chat on the free account. It is listed that way in the comparison table.Out of all the changes they have made, this is the only one that fries me.

At least those of us over 13 who opted not to subscribe could still have enjoyed chatting with our friends in game. I can't think of a more solid line they could have drawn to split the community.

debbi801
09-02-2008, 09:36 PM
well, Dh and i both joined. We've had so much fun in the game that we decided it was worth it for the year.

I think taking chat away for people not subscribing stinks, though.

BlueSneakerGal
09-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Out of all the changes they have made, this is the only one that fries me.

At least those of us over 13 who opted not to subscribe could still have enjoyed chatting with our friends in game. I can't think of a more solid line they could have drawn to split the community.

Awww... you took your wizard name out of your sig... :sad2:

I might have been able to deal with a free account if we could have chatted... sigh. This might just do it for me.

aliceblue
09-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Awww... you took your wizard name out of your sig... :sad2:

I might have been able to deal with a free account if we could have chatted... sigh. This might just do it for me.Ditto here.

Alyssa StormSinger is not my main wizard anymore, and I was going to change my sig to Tara WillowBreeze. Not much point now, if I can't talk to anyone.

disvaclub92
09-02-2008, 10:16 PM
Ditto here.

Alyssa StormSinger is not my main wizard anymore, and I was going to change my sig to Tara WillowBreeze. Not much point now, if I can't talk to anyone.

Hugs girl!! :hug: I hear you. We can form the group of the "Dis Unchattable Wizards". :hug:

Goofy05
09-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Hugs girl!! :hug: I hear you. We can form the group of the "Dis Unchattable Wizards". :hug:

Add me to the group.
On another issue with the free accounts. Regardless of whether or not you can still level up, if you are a Balance or Death wizard, you can't access your schools to train for new spells. Meet Fiona Green, Balance/Death wizard....lost without her teachers to guide her.

Chedstro
09-02-2008, 10:45 PM
OK about the message problem for the free accounts - I will contact my "reliable source" and see if this is one of the things they are fixing - along with poor Canada! They are going great guns on Canada!:thumbsup2

aengus
09-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Out of all the changes they have made, this is the only one that fries me.

OK about the message problem for the free accounts - I will contact my "reliable source" and see if this is one of the things they are fixing - along with poor Canada! They are going great guns on Canada!:thumbsup2

Maybe we could annex Canada to solve the problem?

I'm kidding Canadians gosh... chill out already :rotfl:

but its ham not bacon i dont care what you say!!!!

FlyingPegasus
09-03-2008, 12:23 AM
I had voted undecided, but then decided to join up. I enjoy this game very much.

Here is the new improved Rowan DeathDreamer:

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff198/flyingpegasus_photos/RowanDeathDreamer9208.jpg

Fly:hippie:

Chedstro
09-03-2008, 12:28 AM
Add me to the group.
On another issue with the free accounts. Regardless of whether or not you can still level up, if you are a Balance or Death wizard, you can't access your schools to train for new spells. Meet Fiona Green, Balance/Death wizard....lost without her teachers to guide her.
If I am not mistaken even though you can not access your schools and teachers :sad1: , you can get spells from the school representatives in Ravenswood.:worship:

P.S. This is BobRichmond typing.

aliceblue
09-03-2008, 12:53 AM
Hugs girl!! :hug: I hear you. We can form the group of the "Dis Unchattable Wizards". :hug:Add me to the group.Aww, good to know we can band together! Maybe those of us on Dis can pick a chat-speak word or phrase to recognize each other by in game. :)On another issue with the free accounts. Regardless of whether or not you can still level up, if you are a Balance or Death wizard, you can't access your schools to train for new spells. Meet Fiona Green, Balance/Death wizard....lost without her teachers to guide her.Hopefully, you should be able to train for Balance with Arthur Wetherfield and Death with Malorn Ashthorn in Ravenwood, as BobRichmond said. (But yeah, it stinks not having access to the official "house" for your school.)

Disney Dreams
09-03-2008, 02:53 AM
Hi All!

Sigh... At first I didn't get a beta invite. Then I did and I was not looking for a game to learn at the time. Then I decided to pop on one day just to check it out and turned out it was the last day of beta. I played for hours, as I really liked it! Now I can't get to places... was just figuring everything out... can't talk to people to learn due to restricted chat... and not hooked enough to know if i want to kick out $60. It's pretty restricted for new players to figure out if it's worth the cash. Hmm... what to do?

Does the game keep you going for a while? My concern (coupled with some comments read here) is that the fascination wears out once you level up high enough. Thoughts?

aliceblue
09-03-2008, 04:58 AM
Hi All!

Sigh... At first I didn't get a beta invite. Then I did and I was not looking for a game to learn at the time. Then I decided to pop on one day just to check it out and turned out it was the last day of beta. I played for hours, as I really liked it! Now I can't get to places... was just figuring everything out... can't talk to people to learn due to restricted chat... and not hooked enough to know if i want to kick out $60. It's pretty restricted for new players to figure out if it's worth the cash. Hmm... what to do?

Does the game keep you going for a while? My concern (coupled with some comments read here) is that the fascination wears out once you level up high enough. Thoughts?I think those who opted to subscribe did so based on a lot of experience. All of us who played in the beta have solid information to go by, but for the life of me, I don't see how they expect new players to decide based on the limited game options available to them now.

If you don't mind "grinding", if you are a completest, if running long distances through the same dangerous streets over and over doesn't put you off, this could be your cup of tea. In a sense, you'd actually be getting more for your money than those who have to cover the same ground over again before getting to any new content.

There were times when I just about reached my saturation point with the beta. Leveling up to get more spells, to do more quests, to do more leveling up..... When I started feeling a little crazy it helped to take it in shorter chunks of time. One thing's for sure; the higher you level up, the bigger the challenges become. There's always new card strategies to learn. Be prepared for some quests that have to be completed in a single, long unbroken session, (at least one or two hours) and usually require a group effort.

Although it's possible to solo a good portion of the battles, teaming up with other players can be a lot of fun.

aengus
09-03-2008, 07:08 AM
I think those who opted to subscribe did so based on a lot of experience. All of us who played in the beta have solid information to go by, but for the life of me, I don't see how they expect new players to decide based on the limited game options available to them now.

I agree, I really think open chat (for over 13) and they should unlock all of wizard city. I think people need to really see what it's all about. I don't think they should be afraid to show the game off as it really is addicting and well thought out.

JGoof
09-03-2008, 07:25 AM
Hi All!
Does the game keep you going for a while? My concern (coupled with some comments read here) is that the fascination wears out once you level up high enough. Thoughts?

I have been playing since the beginning of June. I am addicted to this game since the beginning. And i joined for a year. Right now, my interest has diminished a little, but i think it has to do more with starting from scratch again than a real lost of interest.

I can't wait to get back to Mooshu and finally make it to Dragonspyer (or spelling is probably wrong lol).

Belle1997
09-03-2008, 08:34 AM
Maybe we could annex Canada to solve the problem?

I'm kidding Canadians gosh... chill out already :rotfl:

but its ham not bacon i dont care what you say!!!!

:rotfl2: Well I know a lot of Canadians that would like to be annex oh wait yes we are a separate country and our flag is the Maple leaf not the Stars and Stripes. You would wonder since all the shows we watch come from the USA. And most of our department stores are from the USA. Heck we probably know all the words to the Amercian National Anthem since all the baseball and football we watch.

No it is bacon, well back bacon is closer to ham I think.

All international players can now join. Hubby and I did last night and played a few hours together.

I am sad my Destiny will not play with me. I managed to get 2 characters all through Wizard City and see has been left behind. :(

But for $60.00 for one year I think it is a great price. That is $5.00 a month. Not much you can do on quality entertainment :)

I am also sad the closed off chat option for non paying members that is not a bright move. because if some were not sure this could turn them right off.

PrincessNoelle
09-03-2008, 09:16 AM
Hi All!

First thing you need to do is run over to Zeke in Olde Town if you haven't already and get that "special addition" dragon. I think today is the last day for that.

My daughter and I have been playing since June. We play almost every day and love it. I haven't subscribed yet but probably will. When VMK was closing, she found one of her best friends from that game on You Tube and this girl plays Wizards as well. One of my deciding factors may be whether or not this girl will continue to play.

I do think they should expand the free area a bit more. Unicorn Way is just a learning street. The challenges start in the other streets and I think if players aren't challenged, they will stop playing.

The game has kept our interest. You always want to see what the next quest will bring and what is around the next corner. Also, after playing for awhile, I have realized that there is a lot a strategy involved. Which shield do I use, which card, etc.

My husband who is not into computer games at all made a wizard and said that he liked the game. I think mountains moved somewhere when he said this. He probably won't play a lot mainly because my daughter and I hog the better computers but he tried it and liked it!

TLinden16
09-03-2008, 09:23 AM
I did wind up signing up for a year. In my mind, I had decided that if they offered a six month rate for under $50, I would give it six months. For $10 more, I'm getting a whole year.

I'm glad that many of my DIS friends have signed up, but I'm sad that many others have decided not to sign up, or are unable to sign up. I really wish they would open up more of Wizard City to everyone so we have more places to hang out.

MomsGoneGoofy
09-03-2008, 12:26 PM
:rotfl2:
But for $60.00 for one year I think it is a great price. That is $5.00 a month.

I agree $60.00 for one year is a great price. I have signed up for 1 year.

I am not planning on going back to WDW until next August, so the money I'm saving on frozen margaritas :drinking1 will pay for Wizards. :rotfl: :rotfl:

goldengourd
09-03-2008, 12:36 PM
Well, I did it. I don't know if I feel guilty or ecstatic. My husband encouraged me, said the year subscription price sounded like a good deal to him. It is not like me to spend money on something that is just for me, especially just entertainment. And this will be twice in the last couple weeks (also joined a gym). May have to get a job to pay for all this wild spending, LOL.
Anyways, for now I'll continue with Grace SilverRiver (ice), see you in the game!

KrazyPete
09-03-2008, 01:12 PM
oops (wrong Wizards thread)

aengus
09-03-2008, 01:29 PM
I am not planning on going back to WDW until next August, so the money I'm saving on frozen margaritas :drinking1 will pay for Wizards. :rotfl: :rotfl:

WOOT! Margaritas!

Well, I did it. I don't know if I feel guilty or ecstatic. My husband encouraged me, said the year subscription price sounded like a good deal to him. It is not like me to spend money on something that is just for me, especially just entertainment. And this will be twice in the last couple weeks (also joined a gym). May have to get a job to pay for all this wild spending, LOL.
Anyways, for now I'll continue with Grace SilverRiver (ice), see you in the game!

HAH! You got this all wrong, you will be far to busy wizarding @_@ HE will have to get another job to pay for this. I have already put my wife on notice to start looking :thumbsup2

BriarRosie
09-03-2008, 01:45 PM
I did wind up signing up for a year. In my mind, I had decided that if they offered a six month rate for under $50, I would give it six months. For $10 more, I'm getting a whole year.

I'm glad that many of my DIS friends have signed up, but I'm sad that many others have decided not to sign up, or are unable to sign up. I really wish they would open up more of Wizard City to everyone so we have more places to hang out.

Agreed. I'm sad that they have locked chat, too. :(

PrincessNoelle
09-03-2008, 01:54 PM
This might be a terrible analogy but it is starting to feel like a party that not all my friends have been invited to. I want all my friends to be able to participate. Before the last wipe, I had many Dis members on my list as well as other players whom I really had fun with. Many dis players are way ahead of me so we probably won't be playing a lot at least on the same quests. I was getting random friend requests yesterday and it seemed like as soon as I didn't want to do what they wanted to do, they would delete me. I am really starting to have second thougths now. :sad2:

TLinden16
09-03-2008, 02:37 PM
This might be a terrible analogy but it is starting to feel like a party that not all my friends have been invited to. I want all my friends to be able to participate. Before the last wipe, I had many Dis members on my list as well as other players whom I really had fun with. Many dis players are way ahead of me so we probably won't be playing a lot at least on the same quests. I was getting random friend requests yesterday and it seemed like as soon as I didn't want to do what they wanted to do, they would delete me. I am really starting to have second thougths now. :sad2:

You just have to get more DISers on your list :) I find that most DISers are willing to spend time helping others--I spent most of the weekend playing with various DISers. I've had quite a few people who have redone parts of quests to help me, or even just to hang out and battle together.

Belle1997
09-03-2008, 03:00 PM

:banana: :banana: :banana: yeah I was thinking all day today I hope Gold signs up cause we make good teammates and I miss you already oh happy day :) :banana: :banana: :banana:

Oh and going to the gym is not entertainment. It is for your physical health.You'll be a much better mom and wife if being in good physical condition. Wizards is for you mental health :) What better to do than get on the game after a aweful day and blast the evil beasties :)

AlienNation
09-03-2008, 03:58 PM
As of right now, myself and Krystal will not be doing a subscription. We figured we would save the $60 and put it on our October vacation to Orlando and then after our darkside trip, pay a month to see how many people are still around and playing in the upper areas. Before the pay was put in place, I had finished with Hyde Park in Marleybone and was working towards the other areas. So until then, you will see the mute sharply dressed Sean Lifegiver running around killing Unicorn Way mobs for the badges.

aliceblue
09-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Do any of you other Life wizards remember what level you were at when you got your Nature's Wrath spell? I'm thinking I was into Marleybone before I got mine, right before the wipe.I just got mine at level 12.
You have to do the Golem Tower again to get it.Was that part of a quest, or did you just initiate it yourself?At 12 I was called in to see my teacher. There were several things beforehand, but ultimately it ended with doing Golem Tower. As I had not done Golem before I had to complete it 2 times! haha!!Ok, to answer my earlier question, it is possible to level up and get training points with a free account, although it takes a long time without quests to complete.

I was so excited to finally make it to level 12 today, and just like Dreamytime said, I got the new Golem Tower quest from Professor Wu. Finished it and returned to her, only to have her tell me I had to take the parts to Kirby LongSpear to get them working properly. And guess where he lives? That's right, Colossus Blvd. So no Nature's Wrath spell for this Life wizard.

I wonder how brand new players are dealing with non-completable quests? :confused3

BlueSneakerGal
09-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Ok, to answer my earlier question, it is possible to level up and get training points with a free account, although it takes a long time without quests to complete.

I was so excited to finally make it to level 12 today, and just like Dreamytime said, I got the new Golem Tower quest from Professor Wu. Finished it and returned to her, only to have her tell me I had to take the parts to Kirby LongSpear to get them working properly. And guess where he lives? That's right, Colossus Blvd. So no Nature's Wrath spell for this Life wizard.

I wonder how brand new players are dealing with non-completable quests? :confused3

If free accounts could trade, I would give you mine. I was lucky enough to get it before they shut everything down... It has been one of my favorite spells.

Goofy05
09-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Ok, to answer my earlier question, it is possible to level up and get training points with a free account, although it takes a long time without quests to complete.

And that's my issue with what they are calling "free to play" is actually a "free trial". There are quite a few quests that cannot be completed in Wizard City. History Books, Clothing from Gloria, Dark Cave items for Triton quests. I don't see the reasoning behind not letting players have a free game that has an ending, as we know the Wizard City area does.
Open chat would be nice, as well. :rolleyes:

PrincessNoelle
09-03-2008, 09:36 PM
I know I saw it somewhere but when does the discounted price end? Is it Sept 8th?

Chedstro
09-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Yes, the cutoff is currently Sept 8. Bob and I got the year as it is a bargain:rotfl2:

redbaybound
09-03-2008, 10:40 PM
Oh gosh, I have to stop letting my kids play these games with me! They are so upset with me. There is no way I can justify or afford $180 for all 3 of us to play. I can't even justify $120 even though it is a wonderful game. I was so hoping for family accounts! My DS and DD just loved this game.

Well, it was fun while it lasted.:sad1:

OctoPie
09-03-2008, 11:10 PM
Oh gosh, I have to stop letting my kids play these games with me! They are so upset with me. There is no way I can justify or afford $180 for all 3 of us to play. I can't even justify $120 even though it is a wonderful game. I was so hoping for family accounts! My DS and DD just loved this game.

Well, it was fun while it lasted.:sad1:

DS,DD?? I can't afford 1 account let alone 180 dollars!

Chedstro
09-03-2008, 11:59 PM
Red, w101 did say there was a "family plan" coming soon. Hopefully this will help. :hug:

PrincessNoelle
09-04-2008, 12:04 AM
Red, w101 did say there was a "family plan" coming soon. Hopefully this will help. :hug:

I wish they could give us more specifics on this now. :confused:

aengus
09-04-2008, 07:19 AM

Well if they are working on such a thing, perhaps a little feedback they should consider people who already bought in will need a way to upgrade to this ;)

They probably already realize this, but lets get the word out that many of the people who bought in fit into 3 categories

1> they bought more than 1 account (they should get a kick back)
2> maybe they are currently taking turns rather than playing but would like to move from a straight annual to family annual at a fair rate considering the annual was already purchased
3> maybe they didnt buy at all and its a result of not having a family option because the current method was just too expensive

There is going to be a bit of uproar if a family account comes out for those people who bought multiple accounts already if they don't see that addressed. Hopefully they can nip this issue in the bud.

Dreamytime
09-04-2008, 07:25 AM

I wish they could give us more specifics on this now. :confused:

Yes that would have been preferred. If there is a 'family plan' coming, what about all of us who have signed up for 1 year x 2 x $60 ($120). (or 3 at $180, 4 at $240 and so on...)

Are they going to give refunds for the amounts overpaid, if we do in fact over pay.

If the family plan isn't less than $60/each then how can a family of 4 justify paying $320 for 1 year of this game?

Lucky for me I only have to purchase 1 plan, but my nephew and now his brother are wanting to play. I can't imagine my brother paying $160 for this game as they are awaiting mid-term grades before signing them up.

I know that they are in line with the other online games, and maybe I just personally have an issue paying for something that has no intrinsic value. :) (In other words I am cheap... :P but I prefer the word Frugal!!)

(Sry Lava-Boy, you must have typed a bit quicker than I....well that and yours is a bit more concise...more circumspect... oh, doo-doo, should I delete my post!?!? hehe)

BobRichmond
09-04-2008, 07:41 AM
...So no Nature's Wrath spell for this Life wizard...
For any enemy encountered with a free account (except for maybe in the duel arena) Nature's Wrath would probably be overkill anyway.

However there is a way to get it (and much more) for just $5. It's limitations are that you have to be at least level 10 to use it and you will only get 1 spell per fight.

As you might have guessed from the above Professor Zeke in Wizard City has Master's Slippers of Wrath (boots) that include this spell. They cost 720 crowns (in any colors) and also include +30 health, +1% attack, and +4% shield.

Since you can get 2500 crowns for $5. you could get these and probably a coat and hat also.

aengus
09-04-2008, 07:45 AM
(Sry Lava-Boy, you must have typed a bit quicker than I....well that and yours is a bit more concise...more circumspect... oh, doo-doo, should I delete my post!?!? hehe)

no dont delete it LOL Wizard will appreciate the feedback :thumbsup2

aengus
09-04-2008, 08:29 AM
Just wanted to mention I received this response to the multiple account issue

It does indeed look like they are evaluating how best to handle this, kudos for that btw to kingisle

Hello there,

Right now the plan is that if you want to be able to play on separate accounts you will have to pay for each subscription. If I were you I would keep your eye on the web site in the next day or so because my crystal ball tells me that there might be some more information about family subscriptions in the works.

Thank you,
Mr. Lincoln
Ravenwood School of Magical Arts

Belle1997
09-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Just wanted to mention I received this response to the multiple account issue

It does indeed look like they are evaluating how best to handle this, kudos for that btw to kingisle

So good to know. Though hubby and I signed up our older son plays has started to play.

So it would be nice to have a family plan of some sort. I just wish they had really taken a look at the family aspect of the game. It is bigger than most I think. Our family would never play toontown together but for some reason Wizard101 seems to grab everyone's attention. Looking forward to see what is happening :)

Heck even being able to buy crowns to be able to unlock an area would work.

Belle1997
09-04-2008, 09:50 AM
Oh and we should all send thank you notes to Disney. Saying if they had not closed VMK we would never have found such a family friendly fun game :)

I never did get any response to any of my letters:)

I for one am having so much fun playing with hubby (since he rarely played VMK) We actually have something in common now :)

Also if they created a good family account I can see it over-taking toontown some day :)

PrincessNoelle
09-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Oh and we should all send thank you notes to Disney. Saying if they had not closed VMK we would never have found such a family friendly fun game :)

I never did get any response to any of my letters:)

I for one am having so much fun playing with hubby (since he rarely played VMK) We actually have something in common now :)

Also if they created a good family account I can see it over-taking toontown some day :)

I think sending Disney thank you notes is an awesome idea. :lmao:

The fact that families could play together no matter where they were was just one of the appealing factors of VMK. My husband didn't like VMK at all and isn't interested in TT. He is Alejandro Fireblood on Wizard 101. Just the fact that they are considering some kind of family account option tells me that they are more receptive to families than Disney Online is. Way to go KingsIsle . :cheer2:

redbaybound
09-04-2008, 11:46 AM
yay! :thumbsup2 if we can get a family account I will definitely pay! We really liked playing this game together - may I even say - *gasp* more than VMK?

LittleWoodenHead
09-04-2008, 11:52 AM
And that's my issue with what they are calling "free to play" is actually a "free trial"..... I don't see the reasoning behind not letting players have a free game that has an ending, as we know the Wizard City area does.
I don't understand how KingsIsle is the villain here. For one thing, they didn't have to make any content available for free after launch.

Of course it's a free trial. Its purpose is to entice people to subscribe to the full game. So what if they don't call it that? Online game free trials typically have a time-limit. Check out Yahoo Games, for example. You can download and play free trials there that end after an hour. Since W101 is not limited by time, the "free trial" period need never end. So why must they call it that?

And why should they give away a "free game that has an ending"? That makes absolutely no business sense to me. {"Oh, goody! I got to the ending of this part of the story without having to pay anything! Guess I'm done."} They made the game to (hopefully) make money. It wasn't designed as a "promotion".

True, KingsIsle's business interests might be better served by showing more content than just Unicorn Way and Triton. (Personally, I might have opened Cyclops and Firecat, instead of Triton.) BUT that is the business decision they have made. They were under no obligation to you, me, or anyone else to do otherwise.

FWIW, PotCO and TT also say they are "free to play" -- yet they severely limit you to only a few areas, levels, equipment, quests, etc. (I know that PotCO also makes you play in a window with advertisements running around the frame!) And just like those games, people will check out the free play on W101 and decide whether or not they are interested enough to pay for the full version. If not, they will move on.

Lauralee
09-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Woo Hoo! TY KingsIsle for working on a family plan. I'm "riding the fence" on whether to pay for two $60/year plans for my son and me. I would, however, buy a family plan if it costs less than $120/year.

I hope to see a family plan offered before the deadline on the $60/year deal.

ETA: My son tried VMK but it wasn't a long-term thing for him, like it was for me. I can't say enough how happy I am that W101 is a game that we both like to play! Together!

Goofy05
09-04-2008, 12:42 PM
I don't understand how KingsIsle is the villain here. For one thing, they didn't have to make any content available for free after launch.

Of course it's a free trial. Its purpose is to entice people to subscribe to the full game. So what if they don't call it that? Online game free trials typically have a time-limit. Check out Yahoo Games, for example. You can download and play free trials there that end after an hour. Since W101 is not limited by time, the "free trial" period need never end. So why must they call it that?

And why should they give away a "free game that has an ending"? That makes absolutely no business sense to me. {"Oh, goody! I got to the ending of this part of the story without having to pay anything! Guess I'm done."} They made the game to (hopefully) make money. It wasn't designed as a "promotion".

True, KingsIsle's business interests might be better served by showing more content than just Unicorn Way and Triton. (Personally, I might have opened Cyclops and Firecat, instead of Triton.) BUT that is the business decision they have made. They were under no obligation to you, me, or anyone else to do otherwise.

FWIW, PotCO and TT also say they are "free to play" -- yet they severely limit you to only a few areas, levels, equipment, quests, etc. (I know that PotCO also makes you play in a window with advertisements running around the frame!) And just like those games, people will check out the free play on W101 and decide whether or not they are interested enough to pay for the full version. If not, they will move on.

Whoah! Chill a little! I was only stating that it is a FREE TRIAL and NOT a free to play game. I never said they were obligated to give me anything, just that they said there would be a 'free to play version' which it is not, it is a free trial version and yes, there is a difference.

BriarRosie
09-04-2008, 12:59 PM
I think it was a bad move on on KingsIsle's part to limit chat on the free trial accounts. Those eligible for open chat should be able to play with open chat, period. It doesn't give a player a true representation of the game they'd be paying later for, otherwise.

Ok, I'm biased. I want to be able to talk with everyone. :grouphug:

aengus
09-04-2008, 02:14 PM
I do think mim's point is valid, as well as yours littlewoodenhead and heres why.
(hah i guess everyones point is valid wether i think so or not :rotfl: )

I dont thnk kingisle did a very good job communicating what would happen after beta. I agree they dont have to give anything, for sure. I also agree they can have a free trial. I just feel most of us (and quite possibly wrongfully) assumed by what was written it was going to be a little more. This easily could have been corrected with a more clearly written note is all.

bad guys... nope. I love this game. I think they were very generous to us as well. I also think they really listened to the beta players concerns.

I defintely think the chat thing should be changed also. I feel it will hurt their chances of getting the new people to move from free trial to subscriber. Just an opinion that this is in their best interest not so much ours.

aliceblue
09-04-2008, 02:20 PM
For any enemy encountered with a free account (except for maybe in the duel arena) Nature's Wrath would probably be overkill anyway.

However there is a way to get it (and much more) for just $5. It's limitations are that you have to be at least level 10 to use it and you will only get 1 spell per fight.

As you might have guessed from the above Professor Zeke in Wizard City has Master's Slippers of Wrath (boots) that include this spell. They cost 720 crowns (in any colors) and also include +30 health, +1% attack, and +4% shield.

Since you can get 2500 crowns for $5. you could get these and probably a coat and hat also.Yeah, I know that Nature's Wrath is overkill in Wizard City; for that matter, so is Storm Shark, but I was not blocked from getting it. I just really like the spell. I had previously been considering buying $5.00 worth of crowns for just that purpose. I may still down the line; just a little cooled off towards the game at the moment.And why should they give away a "free game that has an ending"? That makes absolutely no business sense to me. {"Oh, goody! I got to the ending of this part of the story without having to pay anything! Guess I'm done."}That's where I think they miscalculated. New players testing the free account will not necessarily perceive blocked quests as an enticement to upgrade; I believe they are more likely to think there's something wrong with the game. I'm afraid this may backfire on KingsIsle.

For purposes of evaluation, it would leave a better impression if they only included specific quests in their entirety. A popup message when all "free" quests have been completed could alert players that more content is available by subscription.I think it was a bad move on on KingsIsle's part to limit chat on the free trial accounts. Those eligible for open chat should be able to play with open chat, period. It doesn't give a player a true representation of the game they'd be paying later for, otherwise.I agree. If I were an adult playing for the first time, I would not be inclined to upgrade based on the mode of communication observed in the game. It may be aimed primarily at the kids, but parents are the ones who will be scouting it out to see if the whole family can play. Adults need to see what they are getting for their money.

bevgray
09-04-2008, 04:03 PM
One thing I have noticed with the Kingsale folks is that they seem very responsive to concerns/comments from their players. As things go along, I expect that they will tweak available areas, family subscriptions, etc. Could they have done it a bit better? Probably. But compare their prompt responses on their forums to the black hole of incommunicado we dealt with with VMK. A lot will depend on how many of us have signed up for the game. I imagine they have some sort of target and, if a lot of beta players don't sign up, they may go back and try to determine what they can do to make it more appealing. For example, if they get a lot of "trial" players who don't sign up from the limited area, they may decide to open all of Wizard City after all (rather like the Central Playground in Toontown). If they say they are working on someway to handle family accounts, I believe that they are. Game launches are always difficult, especially online, multi-player games.

Cardinal
09-04-2008, 06:27 PM
I think that they know that having a cash shop and a subscription plan is a little ludicrous, which is why they don't allow non-members to post on the forums.

Non-members should be able to have free chat and forum posting abilities. In fact, the chatting was just about the only reason I would ever consider logging back into Wizard 101 again.

JulyGirl
09-04-2008, 06:44 PM
I paid because I felt the price for a year's membership was very fair. However, I am very saddened that my friends who have not been able to purchase a membership yet are unable to truly communicate with me.

sm4987
09-04-2008, 07:04 PM
Boy do I really want that family plan. Before they implemented the pay I had already made it to the last stages of Krok! I played with my kids. I am trying to figure right now if $180 is something that I want to pay for the three of us. DH has not really gotten into the game so I'm not worried about him. But the kids thinking that they have to get stuck just in wizard city is not sitting well with them at all. I guess I have to make a decision before the price goes up on the 8th.

aengus
09-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Boy do I really want that family plan. Before they implemented the pay I had already made it to the last stages of Krok! i played with my kids. I am trying to figure right now if $180 is somehting that I want to pay for the three of us. DH has not really gotten into the game so I'm not worried about him. But the kids thinking that they have to get stuck just in wizard city is not sitting well with them at all. I guess I have to make a decision before the price goes up on the 8th.

yes the price goes up the 8th, but if you saw the email I received it sounds like some announcement is coming sooner. I would try and hold out if I were you ;)

sm4987
09-04-2008, 07:23 PM
yes the price goes up the 8th, but if you saw the email I received it sounds like some announcement is coming sooner. I would try and hold out if I were you ;)

I read that and boy am I hoping. I will hold out until then. The new worlds looks great and they would rather lay this now then toontown!

PrincessNoelle
09-04-2008, 10:54 PM
I have e-mailed them this question but have not received a response. Does anyone know if they will be able to transfer wizards from one account to another? I hate to keep comparing but TT can. If I am going to have one or two paid accounts, I have some other wizards that I would like to have added to these accounts.

Belle1997
09-05-2008, 08:16 AM
I must say the consumer service is awesome compared to VMK. Everytime I have written I have gotten a response in less than a day. Yes I to got a response that the head wizards are meeting to discuss ways to implement a family plan as my son would join but would only be a casual player since he is not hook yet :rotfl2: so looking for a family plan :)

Dreamytime
09-05-2008, 08:50 AM
I have e-mailed them this question but have not received a response. Does anyone know if they will be able to transfer wizards from one account to another? I hate to keep comparing but TT can. If I am going to have one or two paid accounts, I have some other wizards that I would like to have added to these accounts.

Yes you can.
My nephew's account is under mine.

Just give them your email address and the log-ins for the accounts.

It helps for paying...just need to make 1 payment.:wizard:

disvaclub92
09-05-2008, 09:24 AM
I wish they gave more options to when they roll out the family plan. I would love a half year plan. My girls are tied up with sports so no real chance for them to play this fall but it would be a great winter game to do since we are inside. Time to send an email. :)

PrincessNoelle
09-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Yes you can.
My nephew's account is under mine.

Just give them your email address and the log-ins for the accounts.

It helps for paying...just need to make 1 payment.:wizard:

Maybe you should let them know. I asked them if wizards could be transferred, if paid accounts come with crowns and if there were another way to obtain crowns other than paying for them. This is the response they gave me:

Hi there!

At the moment, there isn't a character transfer tool. The idea is being seriously considered, however, so it's something you might see in the future. There is an allowance of Crowns that comes with the Subscription. I believe this is 300 Crowns per month, though I do not know yet how the system will be/has been implemented. I expect an announcement with further details on that in the near future. Crowns are only available through the Allowance the micro-transactions/purchase.

I hope this helps! If you have any further questions, just let me know!

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln

aliceblue
09-06-2008, 05:58 PM
Maybe you should let them know. I asked them if wizards could be transferred, if paid accounts come with crowns and if there were another way to obtain crowns other than paying for them. This is the response they gave me:

Hi there!

At the moment, there isn't a character transfer tool. The idea is being seriously considered, however, so it's something you might see in the future. There is an allowance of Crowns that comes with the Subscription. I believe this is 300 Crowns per month, though I do not know yet how the system will be/has been implemented. I expect an announcement with further details on that in the near future. Crowns are only available through the Allowance the micro-transactions/purchase.

I hope this helps! If you have any further questions, just let me know!

Regards,
Mr. LincolnI'm curious; has anyone received crowns as part of their subscription?

Goofy05
09-07-2008, 01:05 AM
I'm curious; has anyone received crowns as part of their subscription?

Well, I just purchased a one month's subscription and didn't receive any crowns over the 2500 I bought. So...I'm not sure what that email is all about. I've not heard of anyone getting any 'free' crowns with their sub. :confused3
I may buy one more month, it depends on a few things, but hopefully there will be a family discount plan in place before then. I'm curious to see when Dragonspyre is released and would love to see what they do for Halloween.
So, I guess I'll try Wizard for one, possibly two months, mostly to see how long it takes for new worlds to be introduced. Hopefully, they have a schedule of releases that will keep us non-year paying players interested in the game.

PrincessNoelle
09-07-2008, 08:27 AM
I have been holding out on purchasing an annual subscription for as long as I can to see if they did come out with any kind of a family plan. At this point though the $60.00 per year per account is about as discounted as I am going to get. It's not a bad deal compared to other games I have paid for. My brain can be fuzzy at times but I could have sworn I read somewhere that crowns would come with a monthly subscription and that in the future there would be other ways to earn them. Oh well. I just found out too that I am a beta member for SmallWorlds, uh, nevermind.

aengus
09-07-2008, 10:05 AM
I hope they make an announcement over the family plan before the deadline ends for the discount (tomorrow). I can understand it being the weekend why no progress has been made, and we can tell their good intentions by the email that was sent out.

Intentions are good, but its the action that really mean something.

I will say this, after playing for a few days with a subscription, I feel no regret at all. I am also very pleased to see that many of my friends also made the decision to subscribe. Normally I would second guess myself or maybe change my habits in the game feeling like I should play more because I am paying, but no. My gaming habits havent changed at all, like no difference. I sure did play a bunch of hours yesterday though :rotfl: Feeling like I needed to be higher before a grubb run haha.

If they straighten out the family plan I give KingIsle an A for the first semester of ravenwood :)

ETA: from reading one of the posted emails, it looks like the getting crowns thing as an allowance hasnt been implemented yet, it looked like something they were still working on.

Lauralee
09-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Does anybody know for sure, is the deadline for the $60/year subscription over at midnight tonight or midnight tomorrow?

JGoof
09-07-2008, 04:25 PM
I will say this, after playing for a few days with a subscription, I feel no regret at all. I am also very pleased to see that many of my friends also made the decision to subscribe. Normally I would second guess myself or maybe change my habits in the game feeling like I should play more because I am paying, but no. My gaming habits havent changed at all, like no difference. I sure did play a bunch of hours yesterday though :rotfl: Feeling like I needed to be higher before a grubb run haha.

I feel the same and I also find that i don't have to rush as I don't have that "character wipe" sword above my head anymore.

Kasiks
09-07-2008, 04:57 PM
I don't think it is too much but it is just not my kind of game, I tried it during beta and I don't like the fact you need to play a lot with other people in order to do some quests so to the question will you pay to play, it is a no ^^

LuvN~Travel
09-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Well I did break down today and pay for a month's subscription. But, I'm like others who also want a family plan. I don't mind the $60 plan for myself (if I had it right now lol), But, don't really see paying double that for my son and myself to play. I sure hope they come out with the family plan soon. lol
Kim

PrincessNoelle
09-08-2008, 09:54 PM
I purchased two accounts. Still Jenna Willowblade but now Life/Death. My daughter is still Elizabeth StormWalker now Storm/Life.

Belle1997
09-09-2008, 08:10 AM
Well I sent an email asking how to join the 2 accounts my husband and Mine. Being international we pay an exchange fee for every transaction. Wanted to know now how we could join them to save when buying crowns. Because we pay the difference in the dollar plus conversion costs.

Well they got back to me and are working on it. Can you believe it will take a few weeks because they never thought about this. Yup I was told what a wonderful idea:rotfl:

Can we say that this company is a little too much American. Not that that is a bad thing. But first we could not sign up for paid membership. Took all day for that, now this.

So I think in the subscription area we are still in beta and us international people are there testers.

But it makes sense for crowns if you have a family that each have a different account to join them and buy in bulk for crowns.

Candlz
09-09-2008, 08:37 AM
Being international we pay an exchange fee for every transaction.

You should know this then... I moved my husband under my account to make it easier for paying as was very suprised to find 3 seperate transactions charged to my account. One for each of our memberships and a third for the crowns we bought...

Just something to be aware of.

Dreamytime
09-09-2008, 08:59 AM
Well I sent an email asking how to join the 2 accounts my husband and Mine.........

Well they got back to me and are working on it. .

What I don't understand is how I got mine and my nephew's joined.
I simply asked them to, and voile it was done.

Seriously. I have mentioned it before... I asked and they did it.

I am just confused. Don't take anything I say as a slight. I just can't understand how it was simple in my case and you and other have issues with it.

Could it have been the time i asked (during the 2nd beta after the first wipe)? Was it easier then? Of course the international thing might have a bit to do with it....but Princess is US as far as I know.

IDK. But if you would like, at some time, to cite me as an example of who has joined accounts, I would be happy to help you out.

American companies are always surprised when interest is shown by foreign people. It is a fact of life, just as it is a fact of life that foreigners like to spend money on US goods. I think that they are feeling growing pains that they never thought they would have. But (cough unlike another game) they have tried to be forthright in their answers and not change information once it was given to the populace. They have tried, admirably, to put out fires as quickly as possible.

B+? A-? What do you think?

aengus
09-09-2008, 10:31 AM
Well I sent an email asking how to join the 2 accounts my husband and Mine. Being international we pay an exchange fee for every transaction. Wanted to know now how we could join them to save when buying crowns. Because we pay the difference in the dollar plus conversion costs.

Well they got back to me and are working on it. Can you believe it will take a few weeks because they never thought about this. Yup I was told what a wonderful idea:rotfl:

Can we say that this company is a little too much American. Not that that is a bad thing. But first we could not sign up for paid membership. Took all day for that, now this.

So I think in the subscription area we are still in beta and us international people are there testers.

But it makes sense for crowns if you have a family that each have a different account to join them and buy in bulk for crowns.

Belle could you just keep the crowns in your best account? Was just thinking you could buy things and trade them maybe?

I havent seen anyone trade those items, I guess the trades board will be becoming active again soon from this game it seems. I noticed they said zeke would have different items every month, and we also know the halloween stuff is coming.

B+? A-? What do you think?

I am holding at a B+, awaiting the family plan resolve. I would have given them an A already but I was sad to see some people had to jump on the discounted price prior to seeing what they are thinking about with the family plan.

Their willing to listen with an open mind to the players is a really good quality in a gaming company.

Belle1997
09-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Yes Dreamytime I did follow your advice. gave them his login info, his character name and of course they had all my info. Also I used the same credit card to buy both accounts.

Candlz good to know. Seems strange to have 3 separate transactions. Maybe that is what they meant by not thinking about exchange rates and international conversion rates. As it does not change your cost but it does for foreigners who do not have a US account.

I would say the customer service has been awesome. I always receive a reply.

As for trading Aengus you can not trade clothes yet. Or even add them to other characters on your account. We did buy our first set when we arrived in Marleybone. Figured before that it would be a waste.

We may buy another set when we get to mooshu.

PrincessNoelle
09-09-2008, 10:46 AM
What I don't understand is how I got mine and my nephew's joined. I simply asked them to, and voile it was done.

Just out of curiousity, can you and your nephew play at the same time under one paid account? I have a family account where I have added other wizard accounts with different log in and password information but they remain trial accounts. The only way my daughter and I could play the game together was for me to pay for two accounts. I have been asking to get these other wizards transferred over to my paid account but they say they can't currently do that. I have gone as far as I can on the other wizards so they are stuck at the end of the free trial.

disvaclub92
09-09-2008, 10:53 AM
I have to say A+ for the game in general - graphics are awesome.

I am at a B- tho for understanding the needs of the community they have gathered. But to give Kings the benefit of the doubt here, it appears that alot of online games do not really know the audience they have garnished. ;)

Hopefully, this is a good learning experience and hopefully they move quick on the family plan situation. I do have my doubts on that tho. I sent an email asking for details in regards to the family plan and also when (and if) it is enacted how will they treat the people who signed up for multiple accounts. Will they receive some restitution? That was last week, and unfortunately all I received was a "Thanks for your suggestions email."

Dreamytime
09-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Just out of curiousity, can you and your nephew play at the same time under one paid account? I have a family account where I have added other wizard accounts with different log in and password information but they remain trial accounts. The only way my daughter and I could play the game together was for me to pay for two accounts. I have been asking to get these other wizards transferred over to my paid account but they say they can't currently do that. I have gone as far as I can on the other wizards so they are stuck at the end of the free trial.

Yes we have to pay for 2 accounts (well my brother has taken pity on a poor college student and paid for our accounts).

disvaclub92
09-09-2008, 08:19 PM
I sent a follow-up to my family plan question tonight and received the following response:

Hi there!

The jury is still out on the family plan, but the decisions are being made. I wish I had more information for you, but at present we've still not received word on a final decision. I believe that the family plans can be expected, but the details are yet to be announced. Please keep an eye on the site and on your inbox for news on this. We'll try to update this ticket in the case that, for whatever reason, announcements are not made.

I understand your situation and can sympathize completely. Thank you very much for your ongoing patience, and I apologize again for the inconvenience.

Best Regards,
Mr. Lincoln

Goofy05
09-09-2008, 09:15 PM
I sent a follow-up to my family plan question tonight and received the following response:

I asked again and here is my reply (doesn't look like there will be anything for families any time soon...):

Hi there!

We have received a lot of feedback about this, and we do have folks working on the Family Plan concerns. As of right now, there are no details available, but from what I understand, we aim to have a family plan in the future, hopefully not too far off. I wish I could offer more information, but as it stands, I don't think the decisions have even been made concerning the minutia of the possible Family Plans. I expect announcements on the site and hopefully via email, so keep an eye out for news. I'll try to update this ticket if we don't end up announcing the plans when they become available.

Thanks for your feedback, we do appreciate your situation, and will do all we can to accommodate!

Kind Regards,
Mr. Lincoln

aliceblue
09-10-2008, 01:02 PM
The discounted 12-month subscription is still available; they have not removed it from the purchasing options when you log into your account.

CutieEm
09-10-2008, 06:19 PM
I cannot personally pay to play, because i am a teen and my parents won't pay for it, and there is no way I am paying for it.

Even with the 12 month subscription, I may not be playing next year. Toontown I played for a week, POTC I signed up for beta and have never played, and VMK was the only exception of a game I have played for a long period of time. I dont want to spend money if i dont know whether i will be playing in the future or not. And with the question, $10 a month is really pricey!

GoofyGeggy
09-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Gee, is it too late to open my beta account that I never used?

I'm kidding, btw - I never used it, but don't have any desire to...I just miss having in-depth online discussion about anything. In other words, I miss ya'll. :)

Hope everyone is doing well these days!

Goofy05
09-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Gee, is it too late to open my beta account that I never used?

I'm kidding, btw - I never used it, but don't have any desire to...I just miss having in-depth online discussion about anything. In other words, I miss ya'll. :)

Hope everyone is doing well these days!

Even me? lol Jk, you know. You really should try the game it's a lot of fun. I DO miss the interaction we had on vmk and the room building IMMENSELY, however I do find the game addictive. I am hopeful that they will add more of a social aspect to the game as I miss that. Try it...I think you'll like it. :) Bugs and all.

aengus
09-11-2008, 07:30 AM
Just wanted to go offtopic (as I NEVER do) and say hi GG :)

GoofyGeggy
09-12-2008, 11:18 PM
Even me? lol Jk, you know. You really should try the game it's a lot of fun. I DO miss the interaction we had on vmk and the room building IMMENSELY, however I do find the game addictive. I am hopeful that they will add more of a social aspect to the game as I miss that. Try it...I think you'll like it. :) Bugs and all.
Even you, Green ;) I'm actually trying to not play games that are too addictive, so I think that's why I never started with Wizard101. After the close of vmk, I couldn't see myself investing in another game. Perhaps it was the burn of investing my time and energy in a game I truly loved, only to have it go the way of the DoDo Bird...

I'm certainly glad everyone is enjoying the various games out there. The game that hasn't opened yet has me intrigued, so I'll probably try that out. :) Hope to see you there, if you're going to try it out.
Just wanted to go offtopic (as I NEVER do) and say hi GG :)
Well, howdy to you, too Aengus. Or should I say w00tness to you, too. ;)

See you soon, all! :grouphug:

PrincessNoelle
09-13-2008, 07:50 AM
I'm certainly glad everyone is enjoying the various games out there.

Hi GG! Wizards is very addicting. I think we are all enjoying other games of some kind, but for myself, no game has filled the void that VMK left. I still miss it a lot.