PDA

View Full Version : Thunder Storms

TagsMissy
08-27-2008, 01:12 PM
Hey all.. Just curious when T-storms happen do the rides close? What's Disney's policy?:confused3

zackiedawg
08-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Outdoor rides will be closed when lightning has been detected within a certain distance of the parks. If lightning storms break out on short notice, the outdoor rides will be stopped as soon as the last ride cars are brought around. The indoor rides will usually continue, business as usual.

dalt01
08-27-2008, 01:34 PM
i remember going back to WDW from dinner at the Steak & Ale during a hurricane day (no lightning around) wind and heavy rain only and seeing Kracken going with half full seats. if they can go they will.

sbell111
08-27-2008, 02:34 PM
That must have been some wind to move Kraken all the way to WDW. :lmao:

Lynne M
08-27-2008, 03:12 PM
Hey all.. Just curious when T-storms happen do the rides close? What's Disney's policy?:confused3

The usual FL thunderstorms that happen daily this time of year are very brief. 15-20 minutes, tops. Doesn't cause much disruption at all.

WillCAD
08-27-2008, 03:29 PM
Don't worry too much; most of Disney's rides and attractions are indoors, and are unaffected by weather. So even if there is a storm, very few rides are shut down, and you can always find something interesting and fun to do.

disnut8
08-27-2008, 04:02 PM
Just remember that there doesn't need to be rain falling for some of the outdoor attractions to close (the few that do). Lightening could be as far away as five miles and Disney will close certain things for safety reasons. I've seen too many people pitch a fit if something closes and it's not raining.

DisneyChristmas
08-28-2008, 07:56 AM
A couple of years ago DH and I were in the last seat of a tram to the parking area at EPCOT. We were racing to the car ahead of an approaching storm with thunder and lightning in the distance. The cast member at the back of the tram was receiving constant walkie-talkie updates about the situation. From the little bit that he was willing to share with us, decisions about when and where to stop outdoor activities (including trams moving in the parking areas) come from a single source. CMs at attractions do not make individual decisions about weather warnings.

AJKMOM
08-28-2008, 08:19 AM

We must be the only 2 who noticed that Kraken is NOT at WDW, it's at SeaWorld. Must have been a tornado, not a hurricane. :lmao:

WillCAD
08-28-2008, 11:03 AM
We must be the only 2 who noticed that Kraken is NOT at WDW, it's at SeaWorld. Must have been a tornado, not a hurricane. :lmao:

I noticed it too, but sbell's response was so perfect, I just let is stand on its own.

budmonster
08-28-2008, 11:06 AM

Your to funny :rotfl: :rotfl2: :lmao:
Ok I was reading this to myself at work and busted out laughing, now my coworker thinks I'm loosing it.