PDA

View Full Version : What will pull what?

genealle
08-20-2008, 04:11 PM
After visiting WDW hotels since 1972, we're finally think about buying a trailer. What I need is a resource that lists (roughly) what size trailer needs what size tow vehicle. Right now we're thinking 25 to 30 ft travel-trailer, but I'm thinking the 5th wheel might be more comfortable to drive with a big load. ANyone know of a site with such information?

TIA

Brer Bear
08-20-2008, 04:14 PM
http://www.campinglife.com/towrating/

http://www.trailerlife.com/output.cfm?id=42175

Good luck! :banana:

2goofycampers
08-20-2008, 05:06 PM
A good rule to remember is do not exceed 75 percent of your tow vehicles maximum tow. This includes TT, all contents in TT, all contents in vehicle including people. So if your tow vehicle is rated to pull 10,000 lbs, everything can't weigh more than 7,500 lbs. We have found that diesel vehicles give alot more choices in picking a camper to pull.

LarryJ
08-20-2008, 05:11 PM
After visiting WDW hotels since 1972, we're finally think about buying a trailer. What I need is a resource that lists (roughly) what size trailer needs what size tow vehicle. Right now we're thinking 25 to 30 ft travel-trailer, but I'm thinking the 5th wheel might be more comfortable to drive with a big load. ANyone know of a site with such information?

TIA

What Brer Bear gave you is a good start, however make sure you are comparing the actual vehicle since a lot only include a minimal amount of fuel and one 150lb passenger in the TV and are for a base model with the biggest engine and lowest rear gear ratio (4.10 is lower than 3.42 or 3.73). Also, for max tow ratings I think you should take the GVWR of the trailer and compare that against 80% figure that the TV manufacturer rates their TV can tow. You will be able to tow a much larger and heavier TT than a 5er for the same TV because the pin weights for 5ers are much higher than TT. For a 25' 5er you're probably in the 3/4 to 1 ton pickup, whereas a 25 for even a 30' TT might be towable with a properly equipped 1/2 T vehicle.

When you get serious I would advise you join read and then ask questions on a more specific site like one for your particular vehicle or something like RV.NET. RV.NET, Woodalls, TrailerLife, and some others all share a common forum and the individual sites are just portals to the same set of forums.

Larry

LarryJ
08-20-2008, 05:16 PM
A good rule to remember is do not exceed 75 percent of your tow vehicles maximum tow. This includes TT, all contents in TT, all contents in vehicle including people. So if your tow vehicle is rated to pull 10,000 lbs, everything can't weigh more than 7,500 lbs. We have found that diesel vehicles give alot more choices in picking a camper to pull.

I gave an 80% max tow for the GVWR of the TT and here are my stats and I really consider it a joy to tow and I have been all over even thru the Cascades and Rockies and Black Hills out west.

GCWR of TV 20K
Max TT rating for TV - 10K and that is really hitch limited
GVWR of TT 7,500, actual wt. close to 7,700 since I run a higher hitch wt. that is used by the TT manufacturer.
GCW of TV and TT around 16 to almost 17K lbs

So I'm at about 75% for the max tow rating for the TV and around 75% of the GCWR for my TV.

Larry

DisneyBishops
08-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Just get a F-350 dually with a big diesel. That way you can tow whatever you want to.

wrongagain
08-20-2008, 08:48 PM
its not what will pull what, its what is big enough to stop what you are towing.
you dont want to be a towing a 30 ft trailer with a honda civic, because when you hit the brakes the trailers going to keep on coming, shoving you jack knifed sideways into a stopped object.

kc5grw
08-20-2008, 09:07 PM
Just get a F-350 dually with a big diesel. That way you can tow whatever you want to.
Yup. That'll work. That's what I have and I really like it pulling our 11000lb (fully loaded) fifth wheel. I personally prefer the way a fifth wheel handles. The only disadvantage is that you lose a lot of your bed room. But I really like the stability and unless I get a MH I'll keep pulling fifth wheels.

tcmsu
08-20-2008, 09:09 PM
Sounds like you're exactly where we were when we thought about buying a trailer. We started looking at around 25-28 feet, then decided we wanted something with a small slideout, then wanted a bigger slideout, and finally lots of storage and 4 bunks in the back...We looked around at a lot of trailers and floor plans before finding one we really liked. We ended up finding a great floorplan in a 33 ft trailer. And then were lucky enough to find one on RVTRADER.com that was used 3 times in 2 years, and much cheaper than new... After that, we bought the truck that would pull the trailer we wanted. We ended up with a Jayco 31BHS with a Ford F250 (not diesel) and haven't looked back since.

So my advice is to find a trailer you really like then figure out what you will need to pull it. That way you're not limiting yourself by having to find a trailer to fit the tow vehicle that you have.....

dtum
08-21-2008, 06:00 AM
http://www.rv.net/ and ask lots of questions. The people there are very, very helpful. When you find a brand that you like, most of them have forums where you can ask specific questions re: that brand.

big kahuna1
08-21-2008, 06:32 AM
The RV.Net forum can be very helpful but you have to filter through the B.S. you get from the weight police. Most honestly try and help but have no clue about the dynamics of towing. All they know are what the stickers say on the door and there is FAR more to it than the sticker. There are already a couple of misnomers in this thread. Good Luck!

stky6
08-21-2008, 07:03 AM
Get ya a Megacab with a HEMI, then you can pull the F350 with the big diesel AND a TT or fifth wheeler :thumbsup2

genealle
08-21-2008, 07:04 AM
Sounds like you're exactly where we were when we thought about buying a trailer. We started looking at around 25-28 feet, then decided we wanted something with a small slideout, then wanted a bigger slideout, and finally lots of storage and 4 bunks in the back...We looked around at a lot of trailers and floor plans before finding one we really liked. ..

That's where we are right now. Small trailer and large car? Larger trailer and medium pickup? BIG trailer and commensurate tow vehicle?

I started out wanting a small (25ft) Class C that would be easy to drive about town. Then I thought, gee, a small Class A would be comfy on the road. Then I started to consider a trailer so we could drop it and drive. Also not having to worry about the drivetrain on the trailer was a plus. Still a year or so away I guess, but I only want to purchase once.

Thanks to all for the links and advice!

(Gotta change our location since we left FL last year)

dtum
08-21-2008, 07:36 AM
Not sure there's such a thing as only purchasing once. There's always bigger, newer, better. Once you have the bug, every few years you want to move up so make sure, if you only want to do it once, that you start at the top; otherwise in a few years you will start moving up...it happens - tent, pop-up, trailer, fifth-wheel for us.

genealle
08-21-2008, 07:56 AM
Not sure there's such a thing as only purchasing once. There's always bigger, newer, better. Once you have the bug, every few years you want to move up so make sure, if you only want to do it once, that you start at the top; otherwise in a few years you will start moving up...it happens - tent, pop-up, trailer, fifth-wheel for us.

Maybe I should just start with the Prevost I really want.:woohoo: Come on Lotto!

bigdisneydaddy
08-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Get ya a Megacab with a HEMI, then you can pull the F350 with the big diesel AND a TT or fifth wheeler :thumbsup2

The guys I know that have hemi's all run away like little girls when I offer to put my pull strap between the trucks and end the Hemi dreams ;)

Gatordad
08-21-2008, 07:01 PM
Silverado brothers, UNITE

stky6
08-22-2008, 07:19 AM
The guys I know that have hemi's all run away like little girls when I offer to put my pull strap between the trucks and end the Hemi dreams ;)

They just don't want the back half of your truck hitting theirs when that chevy gets ripped in half! :lmao:

bigdisneydaddy
08-22-2008, 09:10 AM
Ohio isnt that far away...... wanna give it a go ?

dtum
08-22-2008, 10:21 AM
Guess I need to add my 2 cents. Chevy all the way! :cool1:

Us3
08-22-2008, 10:25 AM
We've had both...I grew up in a Chevy/GMC family. We tried the Hemi and my BIL still has one. However, we are now back to GMC! :thumbsup2

Gatordad
08-22-2008, 10:26 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/82/Silverado_006-1.jpg/250px-Silverado_006-1.jpg

2goofycampers
08-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Dodge Diesel.:thumbsup2

Us3
08-22-2008, 10:47 AM
Back when I was really young and still had siblings living at home...Chevy could have filmed a commerical at my house! :rotfl: Between my dad, 3 brothers and sister...it was a Chevy truck parking lot. When I was old enough to drive, I had a small foriegn sports car in the driveway! (no worries, I grew up and now drive a K2500 suburban):laughing:

Gatordad
08-22-2008, 10:48 AM
dang soccer mom

Us3
08-22-2008, 10:50 AM
dang soccer mom

Yep! :cool2: (but with a cool truck!)

Gatordad
08-22-2008, 10:59 AM
drinking latte, chattin on the cell while taking up 2 lanes with the truck.

Us3
08-22-2008, 11:06 AM
drinking latte, chattin on the cell while taking up 2 lanes with the truck.

nah, i'm handset/headset free with the tomtom! :rotfl:

bigdisneydaddy
08-22-2008, 12:36 PM
My first car was a 57 chevy wagon, I have owned about 16 new Chevys since then. Of the 6 vehicles we have at home right now our sons Pontiac Fiero is the only foreign one. :thumbsup2

big kahuna1
08-22-2008, 12:56 PM
All others are Tonka Toys...This is NOTHIN' BUT TRUCK, baby...NOTHIN' BUT TRUCK!:thumbsup2

http://fatdaddy.smugmug.com/photos/60599825_JtBPp-M.jpg

http://fatdaddy.smugmug.com/photos/60599830_aiZWe-M.jpg

Us3
08-22-2008, 01:07 PM
Sorry...but this thread has me thinking of a Mater quote from Cars :lmao:

I once knew this girl Doreen. Good-lookin' girl. Looked just like a Jaguar....only she was a truck! :lmao:

stky6
08-22-2008, 08:00 PM
All others are Tonka Toys...This is NOTHIN' BUT TRUCK, baby...NOTHIN' BUT TRUCK!:thumbsup2

Yep, Land Yaught :)

http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m360/stky6/Img_7142.jpg

Kinda like having a minivan with a permanent trailer on the back, just hoping it'll take a while for the kids to outgrow the back seat!

Is that an '07...last I heard they were still debating putting a megacab on the dully's

big kahuna1
08-23-2008, 08:32 AM
It is actually an 06. I ordered it the day they became available. You can't beat the room in the Mega Cab. You can fit a house back there. I think what they are considering now is making it with the ling bed option.

njcamper95
08-24-2008, 05:11 PM
well who has the best tow rating for the 1/2 ton ?
how about the 3/4 ton?
or the 1 ton?

ftwildernessguy
08-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Just go around the campground sometime and you will find that Ford is the most popular tow vehicle. I loves my F150.

njcamper95
08-24-2008, 05:18 PM
who is got the best bang for the buck lets see some gvwr's then we will see who has the best tow vechicle
we could also get into the bigger then 1 tons dodge and ford have ones above the one ton 4500and 5500 on dodge 450 and 550 on ford chevy i believe go to a whole different platform they go to a bigger truck not the same size as a pickup more like the low profile international but hey lets compare them all

LarryJ
08-24-2008, 06:00 PM
who is got the best bang for the buck lets see some gvwr's then we will see who has the best tow vechicle
we could also get into the bigger then 1 tons dodge and ford have ones above the one ton 4500and 5500 on dodge 450 and 550 on ford chevy i believe go to a whole different platform they go to a bigger truck not the same size as a pickup more like the low profile international but hey lets compare them all

My GVWR is 9,500 and GCWR is 20,000 and tow capacity receiver limited of 10,000 with a 4600 FAWR and 6084 RAWR and back in 2001 I paid just under 31K new with every option except leather, al. wheels, rear A/C, and CD player that was available for a regular passenger type Van. I put about $1,500 in finishing it off and almost $400 of that was for the window and door moldings that the cargo van didn't come with. So for around $32K I got a customized Conversion Van that meets all my needs.

When I'm loaded to the max for our two month trips to WDW where I have an extra freezer in the TT, and like 10 to 12 cases of seltzer and canned food plus almost 60gal of fuel along with my Honda EUI 2000, I gross close to 16,000lbs (around 9300 on the van and almost 7,000 on the trailer axles and am usually within 200 lbs of my FAWR and the TT axles combined wt. I have plenty of power even in the mountains, but because of the lack of an intercooler and the cramped space in the engine compartment I'm EGT limited on the more serious grades unless I drop out of OD.

Best part is once I get to Fredricksburg and I-95 I slap on the CC at 60mph and it never drops out of OD all the way to WDW and this last trip I got just over 10.5mpg when actually towing. I could probably get a little better mpg, but between fuel stops where I can get an accurate mpg figure there are usually at least 8 pit stops and two CG stops where there is quite a bit of idling.

Larry

MadFF
08-26-2008, 06:47 AM

TIA

The newest 1/2 ton size (150-1500) trucks can have tow ratings up to 9,000lbs when you get the "heavy tow" or "max tow" packages for towing a Travel Trailer, but you would probably be more comfortable with a 3/4 ton+ truck (250-2500). For a fifth wheel, 3/4 ton size truck minimum, preferably a 1 ton (350-3500) size truck. I have seen the smaller 5th wheel campers for 1/2 ton and even small pickups (Ranger size), but rarely.

One thing about travel trailers and fifth wheels is wind resistance / aerodynamics -- basically, you are towing a big, flat, square box against the wind. If you are planning on towing a lot, look at the BIG engines. A Ford V-10 can actually get better fuel mileage than a 5.4L V-8 towing a trailer, and tow effortlessly while doing it. And you can't beat the sheer torque / power of the diesels, with even better fuel mileage.

If you aren't towing all the time, the smaller V-8 engines will work fine.

Just my opinion about all this... Have fun shopping and looking!

campingdude
08-26-2008, 09:49 AM
Just go around the campground sometime and you will find that Ford is the most popular tow vehicle. I loves my F150.

Dodges outnumber Fords 3x1 in our area. Just saw a tag the other day on a Dodge 3500 that said "I'd rather be Cummins than Stroking!"

PanFanAL
08-26-2008, 12:30 PM
Statistically speaking, the Ford F series is the number one selling truck in America, and really I guess the world since we buy more trucks than anyone. I know I love mine. However, Chevy and Dodge make good trucks too. I here that the Nissan Titan, and Toyota Tundra are good, but I will put my money on Detroit steel.

stacktester
08-26-2008, 12:46 PM
Statistically speaking, the Ford F series is the number one selling truck in America, and really I guess the world since we buy more trucks than anyone. I know I love mine. However, Chevy and Dodge make good trucks too. I here that the Nissan Titan, and Toyota Tundra are good, but I will put my money on Detroit steel.

Thank god a few of us are still around. The bad thing about our domestic trucks is the parts are manufactured all over the world and just assembled here. I've got an 04 Silverado 2500 Diesel and my tail lights were made in where else? CHINA. Makes me want to puke.

PanFanAL
08-26-2008, 08:15 PM
I know what you mean, and it hasn't just started. My dad has a 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass that he drives to work, and a few years ago we took the butterfly out between the air intake and the manifold. It was made in China, and that was on a 1990 model I was floored. But I still believe in American made automobiles.People can saw what they want about Japanese cars lasting longer. But we have a 1970 chevy truck with 270,000 miles on it. And I had a Ford with 300,000 on it. And they were still running strong. And the newer ones will run longer than that thanks to better steel and better motor oil.