PDA

View Full Version : Any last minute cruisers?

Mrs.Roo
08-19-2008, 10:51 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new to the board and it seems like such a nice group of people are here helping one another...
I've never cruised before and it seems that many of you plan well in advance. Anyone here ever booked a cruise less than 3 months or 6 months out? I know it will be more expensive to do it this way but gosh darn I can't wait! Am I a fool to try and do this within the next 3-5 months?

I appreciate your advice and look forward to getting to know you all.

Laura

Olga
08-19-2008, 10:57 PM
Hi and welcome. It is a very nice board.

I booked at 3 1/2 months out and by most standards that is last minute.

mommasita
08-19-2008, 10:59 PM
:welcome: to the DIS. We have booked that close, but in REALLY off season. Hurricane season is generally the cheapest time to book (for obvious reasons). I would not try this in high season, as DCL prices rise as rooms sell.

MyLove4Disney
08-19-2008, 11:24 PM
Feb 2005 booked on Tuesday afternoon, flew red eye on Thurday night arrived on Friday am, cruised on Saturday so 3 1/2 days ahead of time. Got a good price probably because the ship wasn't booked full. Same price I paid for the next years cruise booked at 12 months out. My airfare is what was the expensive part. from west coast. But I think any airfare is expensive now at anytime. Good luck and enjoy a wonderful cruise....

Mrs.Roo
08-20-2008, 09:11 AM
Ahhh so there's hope, good to know this is going to be possible.

dta87
08-20-2008, 09:54 AM
We booked one part of our B2B cruise last May 50 days out. Being in the military we look for the military/Florida resident rates to come out and these rates don't come out until pretty late (to bring up their occupancy rate).

Figuring a 3 night cruise would not be near long enough we added the 4 nt front portion of our B2B 29 days out (without a Military rate). This being a DD we had 3 perfect days at CC.

Booking this close to departure we had to wait until boarding to make our Palo ressies (a definite drawback) and we crammed 12 months of research and planning into 50 days.

Also, I am sure we ended up paying a higher rate on our 4 nt cruise than if we had booked 12-18 months out but it was worth it.

kcashner
08-20-2008, 10:00 AM
The closest I ever booked a cruise was less 72 hours out. I spoke to DCL on Wednesday, actually booked on Thursday, and sailed on Saturday. I don't know if this could be done normally, but we were changing from a cruise that was scheduled 2 weeks later due to a family emergency--thus, we might have already been thru their security background checks, etc. It was the same price as our later cruise--the only thing we paid was a small "reticketing fee" since our documents had already been issued.

As to it getting more expensive as the date approaches--not always, especially off season. Yes, we have a cruise booked in May that has increased significantly since we booked. But I've also seen rates not change at all and rarely actually drop (cat. 11/12) if the ship is not filling as fast as DCL likes. Military/FL resident, travel agent, and other special rates are typically not available until 90 days before sailing--again, only on cruises that are not filling.

HoosierFrog
08-20-2008, 10:24 AM
I booked within 90 days of our first cruise. With the anticipation I have had since the day I booked it, I don't think i could book a year (or more) in advance. I am a big planner, but once I get to the booking stage, I'm pretty much ready to go!

Bama4Disney
08-20-2008, 10:29 AM
5 years ago we booked our first Disney Cruise for Memorial day weekend. It was our first 7 day cruise on Disney. We booked the Saturday b/4 Memorial day and left the next Saturday. When we got to the port they advised us of our room catagory. We had actually booked a 12 and where upgraded to a 9. This was great as we had a 2 1/2 year old and he loved having the big porthole. This cruise was actually our cheapest of the the 3 we have taken on Disney. Who knows how we scored such a good deal back then but it was a great deal and the upgrade was totally unexpected. :banana:

CGC33A
08-20-2008, 03:39 PM
I've booked several cruises "last minute" (few weeks in advance). Works out just fine but don't count on Early/Main dining. That fills MONTHS ahead and with a waitlist already established, expect 8 PM or 8:30 PM dinner. Lots of threads on this board about "can I get early dining?" well, noteveryone can eat at that time so someone has to go to the 8PM seating (& I have found it is me-the late booker).