PDA

View Full Version : railings on board the ship....

lisagirl88
08-19-2008, 09:08 PM
I have a 3 year old and 5 year old, both boys. They love to climb things. After looking at some of the pictures of the ship I am wondering, How high are the railings? Would it be easy for children to find something to stand on to climb over the railings. It seems like some of the lounge chairs are right against the deck railings. Don't get me wrong I will be with my children at all times, but they are quick and I think I am just being paranoid. Must be the darn dreams I am having about people falling overboard. Please tell me I am just being paranoid:)

flexsmom
08-19-2008, 09:17 PM
What you can't really see in the pictures is the plexiglass that lines all of the railings - so it's nearly impossible to climb. I've been with my kids from ages 20 months through to where they are now (5 and 9) and I can say that as adventurous as they are, neither has come close to trying to scale the railing. Also - I know it is kid-dependent, but both of mine were suitably cowed when I picked them up to show them the drop and the churning water......in no way did that "intrigue" them to see it again!

CarolAnnC
08-19-2008, 09:44 PM
Well, there is furniture out there on the verandah, so a curious child could certainly drag a chair over and climb up if so inclined.

When my girls were that age, I would never, ever leave them unattended on the verandah.

LindaBabe
08-20-2008, 05:58 AM
You ARE being paranoid, says grandma Linda. Both public and private railings are plexied except in the few rooms with Navigator verandahs, so the kids can see out without climbing.

I don't think you need to worry about them getting out on the verandah without you, either. The door latch is a pain even for an adult, and I seem to remember a high security lock too.

It's going to be fine!

flexsmom
08-20-2008, 09:59 PM
Yes, there is furniture on the veranda. I agree - our #1 rule has always been "no child alone on the veranda". Our kids don't even TRY to open the door without asking permission. Although, even when they do ask permission, and we say yes, it's always amusing to watch them try to get the lock up top and lock down below open. For that matter, my DH thinks it's kind of funny when he watches me try to do that.

Anyhow - we make sure we're out there with them. When we're up on the main decks, I've allowed my oldest to go from one pool to another, or to go to the drink station or to get ice cream without me right with next to her and I don't stress about it. We tend to follow our 5-year old around a bit more - not because I think he's going to drag over furniture to the railing, but rather because I'm more concerned about the other passengers who I don't know!

melc0305
08-20-2008, 11:07 PM
I also have 2 boys and they are 3 and 5. I'm glad you asked this question as it has been worrying me, too. I also read in another thread, if you place your verandah furniture outside your room door, they will remove it for you. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a verandah to relax on, but if you're really worried...

I think I will just follow the advice of pp's and never let them out there without one of us.

Melissa