PDA

View Full Version : Back from our first camping trip - the good, bad & ugly

jrandtysmom
08-19-2008, 03:05 PM
OK we just got back (well actually we got back Sunday but it’s taken a few days to catch up) from our first camping trip! Here is how it went:

We first arrived and discovered that our entire site was gravel – not sure if this is normal or not with a tent but I wasn’t very excited to see this to say the least. :sad2: So I quickly got over that to try and not start the trip off badly for the boys, started unpacking ALL the crap I had managed to stuff into my car and realized that even though I thought I had packed up the entire house and brought it with us, I inadvertently forgot the hammer. Ughhhh!!! So we walked down to the little camp store hoping they sell them – instead of a hammer they had this plastic mallet thing that said it was for tent stakes – so I bought it because you know if the package says that it’s for driving the tent stakes into the ground and this particular campground happens to be carrying it – then it must work right? Wrong! It wouldn’t have drove the stakes through my marshmallows let alone into all that gravel but luckily our friendly neighbor was bored and asked if he could butt in and help. I said butt away! (Is that an etiquette thing at campgrounds – don’t help unless asked?) He had a hatchet that drove the stakes right in and I was so grateful for that man I wanted to hug him :hug: ! So finally we got the tent up and everything was great – luckily I had brought air mattresses because sleeping bags would not have cut it on that gravel. We went for a walk and checked out the campground, came back and started dinner and a fire. The rest of the night went great until bedtime when my DS4 asked where the TV was so he could watch his cartoons while he fell asleep. :rotfl: I laughed and said welcome to roughin’ it! He finally fell asleep but I think he was over the whole camping experience at that moment.

The next day was great, we woke up and I cooked French toast on the little camp stove and we headed out to the beach for the day at Assateague Island. I had mentioned to the boys that this beach is a little different from where we normally go and that they may see wild ponies on the beach but not to feed them as they may bite. This freaked them out a little and all day they kept watching for them but we never saw any. As we went back to the campsite I noticed dark clouds rolling in and was hoping that a storm was not coming – wrong again! Over dinner it started thundering and then as it got darker, the sky started lighting up. By this time, both boys were ready to pack up and go home. I myself was a little nervous but tried not to show that to them. I laughed out loud when my DS6 came out of the tent with his blanket, gameboy and toys he had brought and put them in the car incase the tent blew away or got wet - he wanted to protect the important stuff. :laughing: Finally they settled down and fell asleep before the hard rain hit – and after all that whining and complaining - they slept right through it all. Thankfully the tent held up and nothing got wet (thank goodness for this board where I learned about waterproofing. :rolleyes1 )

The rest of the trip was pretty uneventful. My DS4 thought that every golf cart that was parked we could take because obviously no one was using it and he really wanted to ride in one. We went to the water park they have at the campground a couple of days and the beach the rest. The boys had a blast and even said they wanted to camp again. The hardest parts for me were figuring out how to do the bath houses with just myself and 2 boys. I finally took them into the showers in the women’s but received a few dirty looks so for the rest of the week they “bathed” in the pool. :scared1: Gross I know but hey, what else was I supposed to do that wouldn’t make someone upset and they are too young to shower by themselves in the Men's. Also, dishes were another pain. Our site had water and electric but I didn’t bring a hose and the whole process was just a huge pain and my least favorite part of the experience.

We are definately going again but the boys asked when are we getting one of those motorhomes and a golf cart for next time. :lmao:

ftwildernessguy
08-19-2008, 03:12 PM
Actually, that doesn't sound like a bad first camping experience at all.

RvUsa
08-19-2008, 03:20 PM
I was thinking the same thing Jim, not bad at all. I think my first tenting experience involved about 3 30+ mile trips to walmart, and almost a trip to the ER... LOL

We love Assateague Island. Never camped there, come over to my place and review the campground if you want, I would love it.

jrandtysmom
08-19-2008, 03:30 PM
No it wasn't bad at all - mostly because I've spent so much time here reading up on it before we went. :thumbsup2 Otherwise it would've been really bad - such as the waterproofing the tent. Dumb me assumed that when you bought it, that was already done. :confused3 I had no idea you had to buy additional product to waterproof it yourself. The best parts for me were the comments the boys made.

PolynesianPixie
08-19-2008, 03:30 PM
Welcome back, Soni! It does sound good like a good trip! I love Assateague Island! A horse stepped on my sandled foot on that beach once! Ouch! We camped on Chincoteague Island, though. It was a nice spot on the beach....but not much shade.

It sounds like you've got the kinks worked out so next time will go a little smoother! It's very normal for campers to offer help! Accept it graciously! Maybe have an extra beer on hand to offer in exchange :laughing:

Oh, and the shower, thing..... Do whatever works for you! Your kids are young and you gotta do what you gotta do! I'm sorry you were on the receiving end of dirty looks, but I would have taken the kids in there anyway. JMO

That TV comment! How funny!!!!:lmao:

Welcome home!

BigDaddyRog
08-19-2008, 03:33 PM
No kidding...thats about as successfull a camping trip as you can get....you'll always forget SOMETHING. And SOMETHING will always go somewhat wrong, but thats what makes it an adventure!!! You should be proud...you took 2 kids into unknown territory and returned without any broken bones, burns or rashes!!!! You're a natural!!!

jrandtysmom
08-19-2008, 03:35 PM
I was thinking the same thing Jim, not bad at all. I think my first tenting experience involved about 3 30+ mile trips to walmart, and almost a trip to the ER... LOL

We love Assateague Island. Never camped there, come over to my place and review the campground if you want, I would love it.

We didn't actually camp at Assateague - I was warned here that that was too primitive. We camped at Frontier Town which is right between Ocean City and Assateague. We used the beach at Assateague because I hate the parking in Ocean City. The campground at Frontier Town is great. Lots of shade - Assateague has NONE as it's all beach. I was worried about the heat but we spent all day at the beach or water park so the heat didn't bother us and at night it cooled down that it was very comfortable.

Gatordad
08-19-2008, 03:36 PM
Sounds like you had fun. Welcome back, you were missed.

PolynesianPixie
08-19-2008, 03:41 PM
Look who's a softie!

2goofycampers
08-19-2008, 03:42 PM
Sounds like a fun after a few small bumps, 4 & 6 are still young enough for the ladies room, you got to do what you got to do.
Did you do the dishes in the pool also? :rolleyes1
I'm still waiting on my MH too.;)

Gatordad
08-19-2008, 03:43 PM
I'm hoping to get invited to shower with the ladies next time, shhhhhhhhhh:rolleyes1

jrandtysmom
08-19-2008, 03:44 PM
Aww thanks! I missed everyone here and really think I'm weird because I all week I couldn't wait to share the experience with all of you. :yay:

Gatordad - are you getting all sentimental on me - cuz I don't think I can handle that? :goodvibes

2goofycampers
08-19-2008, 03:45 PM
I'm hoping to get invited to shower with the ladies next time, shhhhhhhhhh:rolleyes1

:sad2:

Gatordad
08-19-2008, 03:46 PM
no, not the gay smiley.........:goodvibes

Us3
08-19-2008, 03:46 PM
Ah, it sounds like you guys had a great time...minus the hammer and rain! You know it's a success when the boys are asking to go again! :thumbsup2

PolynesianPixie
08-19-2008, 03:48 PM
Aww thanks! I missed everyone here and really think I'm weird because I all week I couldn't wait to share the experience with all of you. :yay:

Gatordad - are you getting all sentimental on me - cuz I don't think I can handle that? :goodvibes

Nope. No sentiment. Still the same 'ole Pete.

Pete, you can only go in the ladies shower if you can pass for 6.

Gatordad
08-19-2008, 03:48 PM
6 tons?

PolynesianPixie
08-19-2008, 03:49 PM
6 years old, dear.

jrandtysmom
08-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Sounds like a fun after a few small bumps, 4 & 6 are still young enough for the ladies room, you got to do what you got to do.
Did you do the dishes in the pool also? :rolleyes1
I'm still waiting on my MH too.;)

I tried sneaking over to the pool after dark but it was closed so I was stuck washing them Donnie style. :rotfl:

PolynesianPixie
08-19-2008, 03:50 PM
I tried sneaking over to the pool after dark but it was closed so I was stuck washing them Donnie style. :rotfl:

:rotfl2:

Gatordad
08-19-2008, 03:52 PM
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww Donnie style

Gatordad
08-19-2008, 03:54 PM
6 years old, dear.

dang. foiled again.

BRDof3
08-19-2008, 03:55 PM
A good time had by all. I've been tent camping for years, and have stocked 2 flat utility boxes for the camping gear, and I still manage to forget something most times. The last trip I got the rain fly tied and fastened in every place except one, right on the upper corner. We woke up the next morning to some pretty stiff winds and the corner that didn't get tied properly caved in on us. Took about a quarter of the tent down with it.

I've made it out a couple of times and discovered that I took the hammer out of the box for something at home, and forgot to put it back in. As you discovered, that's when you find out who the friendly neighbors are.

I have two girls, and have had to take them in the men's showers a few times (knew I wouldn't get away with me in the womens'). Don't worry about the dirty looks. They'll get over it, and if they don't who cares??

jrandtysmom
08-19-2008, 03:56 PM

I know, I know I'm ashamed to admit it but how else do you wash dishes if you don't use that water?

RvUsa
08-19-2008, 03:58 PM
Frank showers in the ladies room all the time, just ask him.

jrandtysmom
08-19-2008, 03:59 PM
I was hoping to see another boy in there but of course I didn't. With the bathroom I don't care, I march them right in there but with the showers it was a little different because there are those free-living women who don't mind walking around naked in a public shower and I didn't want the boys to be embarrassed.

Gatordad
08-19-2008, 03:59 PM
new guy,

what kind of tent do you have? We were thinking of getting one for the kids. Have any pics of the setup?

Gatordad
08-19-2008, 04:01 PM
I was hoping to see another boy in there but of course I didn't. With the bathroom I don't care, I march them right in there but with the showers it was a little different because there are those free-living women who don't mind walking around naked in a public shower and I didn't want the boys to be embarrassed.

my daughter was in the ladies room at the YMCA pool, and she was quite wigged out, lol.

PolynesianPixie
08-19-2008, 04:03 PM

:lmao: Oh that was too funny!

PolynesianPixie
08-19-2008, 04:09 PM
my daughter was in the ladies room at the YMCA pool, and she was quite wigged out, lol.

But you would have gladly taken her place to avoid any trauma inflicted upon her...because you are just that kind of Dad!

BRDof3
08-19-2008, 04:10 PM
new guy,

what kind of tent do you have? We were thinking of getting one for the kids. Have any pics of the setup?

We had to replace our Wal-Mart special last year. This one is a 10x20' cabin tent from Cabellas. So far its stood up to heavy rain and wind without a problem, except when I don't get the fly attached right.

No, never took a picture of it. I'll try to get one next time we have it up. It's got a ton of space in it, even with the air matreses and the dog.

Just Beachy
08-19-2008, 04:11 PM
Welcome back, Soni! Glad you had a good time! I think it's ok to take your boys into the ladies room. They're still pretty young. I wouldn't let them go to the men's shower alone either. I think you are very brave to have undertaken such an adventure. :worship: What a great mom those boys have! Hope you have many more great camping trips!!!

RvUsa
08-19-2008, 04:12 PM
We had to replace our Wal-Mart special last year. This one is a 10x20' cabin tent from Cabellas. So far its stood up to heavy rain and wind without a problem, except when I don't get the fly attached right.

No, never took a picture of it. I'll try to get one next time we have it up. It's got a ton of space in it, even with the air matreses and the dog.

Have you been to a cabellas or do you mail order, there is one near here that we love! That store is so cool.

AuburnJen92
08-19-2008, 04:14 PM

OMG!:scared1:

BRDof3
08-19-2008, 04:15 PM
Have you been to a cabellas or do you mail order, there is one near here that we love! That store is so cool.

We found the tent on the web site, and ordered it online, delivered to the retail store in the next town. Cabellas used to only have 2 retail sites, and the nearest was 3 hours away. They have opened up a bunch of stores in the past few years, now I am only 10 minutes from one.

You're right, they are fantastic. DW makes me leave the credit cards at home when I go there, I could wipe out entire paychecks without any effort at all. Great stuff, but NOT cheap.

BigDaddyRog
08-19-2008, 04:16 PM
We dont have a Cabellas near us that Im aware of...but we DO have a BASS PRO....that place is like a campers heaven....they even have plush camo massaging recliners...man, I tested the HELL out of that chair while the wife scooters around looking at girly campin crap like lacey camo tank tops and camo foldover socks!!!! They got it all covered!!!

BRDof3
08-19-2008, 04:20 PM
We dont have a Cabellas near us that Im aware of...but we DO have a BASS PRO....that place is like a campers heaven....they even have plush camo massaging recliners...man, I tested the HELL out of that chair while the wife scooters around looking at girly campin crap like lacey camo tank tops and camo foldover socks!!!! They got it all covered!!!

We almost bought their tent. It was rounded and easier to get around in when it was full of people, but the rain fly was better in the Cabellas. I'll have to get Cabellas to install one of those chairs. I may never make it home!

jrandtysmom
08-19-2008, 04:20 PM
Welcome back, Soni! Glad you had a good time! I think it's ok to take your boys into the ladies room. They're still pretty young. I wouldn't let them go to the men's shower alone either. I think you are very brave to have undertaken such an adventure. :worship: What a great mom those boys have! Hope you have many more great camping trips!!!

Aww thanks! I don't know about brave, but stupid came to mind a few times last week. :laughing: I just don't want them to miss out on any of the "boy" stuff so I try to do all those things with them. For $63/night it wasn't a bad way to entertain them at the beach for a week. That included all the campground activites plus access to the waterpark. I had looked into hotels and they were over $200/night in OC so I think we'll stick to the camping thing. :woohoo:

Shannone1
08-19-2008, 04:57 PM
Sounds like a great first trip. I've heard that is a nice campground and a fun area to camp in. :thumbsup2

I think 4 and 6 year old boys should be able to come into the shower house with you. Together they should be ok going into the bathroom with you waiting outside. But for showers I would let them come into the women's one with you. I would think the other women would understand...I can't believe the dirty looks :confused3 We are all in this together, you know ?? :)

Some campgrounds have really nice tent camping areas with grills and sinks for washing dishes. Now that you know you want to try it again you could call around about it when you plan your next trip. I wouldn't suggest washing them in the bathroom or you will get some REALLY dirty looks :rotfl: We have friends that tent camp and they heat up some hot water over the fire or with their propane burner and pour it into two buckets..one for washing dishes and one for rinsing. If they happen to be camping where the camp showers are really gross, she warms up water the same way to wash up her kids before they go to bed.

Most campers are very friendly and willing to help. Some people do get offended though by people coming over to help so that is why people usually ask first. We were camping a few weeks ago and the couple across from us were having trouble backing in their travel trailer. After about 10 minutes of listening to them argue, my dh asked if they needed some help and they snapped at him that they could do it themselves. To each his own I guess.

We've learned alot from people we are camping around. :)

Brer Bear
08-19-2008, 04:58 PM

You don't like lacy camo tank tops? You sure you're from Louisiana?

BRDof3
08-19-2008, 05:02 PM
You don't like lacy camo tank tops? You sure you're from Louisiana?

I tried one once. Everyone screamed and ran out of the campground. Must have been a bear or something scary standing behind me, cause they kept looking back at me with wide open eyes and gaping mouths! :scared1:

Brer Bear
08-19-2008, 05:07 PM
it was the camo foldover socks that got em....:eek:

VACAMPER
08-19-2008, 05:57 PM
Welcome back, glad you had a good trip. Sounds like your boys have a great mom.

2goofycampers
08-19-2008, 08:09 PM

:lmao: Oh that was too funny!
CHECK THE 5TH POST ON THIS PAGE FOR FULL STORY.

http://www.rvusa.org/dev/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=326&start=30

g8trmom1
08-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Welcome back, Soni! It does sound good like a good trip! I love Assateague Island! A horse stepped on my sandled foot on that beach once! Ouch! We camped on Chincoteague Island, though. It was a nice spot on the beach....but not much shade.

It sounds like you've got the kinks worked out so next time will go a little smoother! It's very normal for campers to offer help! Accept it graciously! Maybe have an extra beer on hand to offer in exchange :laughing:

Oh, and the shower, thing..... Do whatever works for you! Your kids are young and you gotta do what you gotta do! I'm sorry you were on the receiving end of dirty looks, but I would have taken the kids in there anyway. JMO

That TV comment! How funny!!!!:lmao:

Welcome home!

What she said about the shower thing. My DS is 7, and if we are at the mall, he comes with me and DD to use the restroom. I've never had a problem.

g8trmom1
08-19-2008, 09:34 PM
A good time had by all. I've been tent camping for years, and have stocked 2 flat utility boxes for the camping gear, and I still manage to forget something most times. The last trip I got the rain fly tied and fastened in every place except one, right on the upper corner. We woke up the next morning to some pretty stiff winds and the corner that didn't get tied properly caved in on us. Took about a quarter of the tent down with it.

I've made it out a couple of times and discovered that I took the hammer out of the box for something at home, and forgot to put it back in. As you discovered, that's when you find out who the friendly neighbors are.

I have two girls, and have had to take them in the men's showers a few times (knew I wouldn't get away with me in the womens'). Don't worry about the dirty looks. They'll get over it, and if they don't who cares??

I think I would kill my husband if he brought my daughter into the men's showers.

BRDof3
08-19-2008, 10:31 PM
I think I would kill my husband if he brought my daughter into the men's showers.

Not recently, just in times past. Now that they are older I am OK with them in the womens showers alone.

juligrl
08-19-2008, 11:05 PM
We didn't actually camp at Assateague - I was warned here that that was too primitive. We camped at Frontier Town which is right between Ocean City and Assateague. We used the beach at Assateague because I hate the parking in Ocean City. The campground at Frontier Town is great. Lots of shade - Assateague has NONE as it's all beach. I was worried about the heat but we spent all day at the beach or water park so the heat didn't bother us and at night it cooled down that it was very comfortable.

So the campground... two thumbs up? I was considering Frontier Town for a long weekend (maybe girls only) next year. I hate the beach :lmao: but I love Assateague and the boardwalk at Ocean City. We usually go down in September for Sunfest, so it's never obnoxiously crowded when I'm there, but I can imagine it gets crazy in the summer.

Glad you had a good trip - got any pictures to post?

juligrl
08-19-2008, 11:11 PM

Wait, where's the nearest Cabela's? :confused3 Wheeling?

RvUsa
08-19-2008, 11:30 PM
Wait, where's the nearest Cabela's? :confused3 Wheeling?

Yep, bout an hour for us, probably closer for yins.

Shannone1
08-19-2008, 11:49 PM
We live about 45 minutes from the Cabela's in Michigan. We go down once a year or so. It's a good place to exercise the motorhome in the winter since they have an RV parking lot. My dh and oldest dd love the wild game cafe.

RvUsa
08-19-2008, 11:52 PM
Shannone, now that you live in a log house, you will love going to the home furnishing dept, lots of cool stuff for us cabin people LOL

Shannone1
08-20-2008, 12:01 AM
Shannone, now that you live in a log house, you will love going to the home furnishing dept, lots of cool stuff for us cabin people LOL

Want to know something strange...we don't have our log home decorated with an "up north" theme at all. I didn't want it to be overwhelming so I went with more casual/traditional decor. However...our MOTORHOME has an "up north" theme. I have old tin campground signs and bear/moose decor. Towels, candles, bedding,picture frames, etc. Some of the best pieces came from Cabela's :thumbsup2

juligrl
08-20-2008, 10:18 AM
Want to know something strange...we don't have our log home decorated with an "up north" theme at all. I didn't want it to be overwhelming so I went with more casual/traditional decor. However...our MOTORHOME has an "up north" theme. I have old tin campground signs and bear/moose decor. Towels, candles, bedding,picture frames, etc. Some of the best pieces came from Cabela's :thumbsup2

Now you know we need to see some pictures!;)

jrandtysmom
08-20-2008, 10:54 AM
So the campground... two thumbs up? I was considering Frontier Town for a long weekend (maybe girls only) next year. I hate the beach :lmao: but I love Assateague and the boardwalk at Ocean City. We usually go down in September for Sunfest, so it's never obnoxiously crowded when I'm there, but I can imagine it gets crazy in the summer.

Glad you had a good trip - got any pictures to post?

It's the first campground we camped at and I like it. There may be better ones but we thought it was really nice. I really liked that they had a pool plus they have a water park outside the campground which is included in the fee. They also have mini-golf which only cost $2/pp to play and a Wild West show which isn't expensive either along with an arcade, a restaurant and an ice cream shop. We didn't even go over to OC this trip because in the summer it is very crowded plus it's crazy expensive - especially with 2 young kids once they see all the rides, games, food, etc right when you walk onto the boardwalk. I wanted it to be low-key so we just hung around the campground and only left to go to the beach in Assateague.

Football has taken over our lives (thankfully this is the last week that practice is every night) so I will definately post pictures. Hopefully I will get home at a decent hour tonight and can do it then.

Shannone1
08-20-2008, 10:57 AM
Now you know we need to see some pictures!;)

I'll post a few on a new thread :thumbsup2

clkelley
08-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Sounds like you had a great time!!!

The bathroom situation is something I think campgrounds could do better, just for the single mom with boys and single dad with girls situation.

I've been to a couple of campgrounds where there wasn't a ladies and men's side but a building with several private unisex full baths in them. (Shower, sink, toilet). That should be the standard. It sure would solve a lot of problems.

Shannone1
08-20-2008, 10:47 PM
I've been to a couple of campgrounds where there wasn't a ladies and men's side but a building with several private unisex full baths in them. (Shower, sink, toilet). That should be the standard. It sure would solve a lot of problems.

I really like that set up too. My daughters have each other to go up to the shower house with, but our 7 yr old son has to have my dh take him up to shower. When the showers are all in a central location all three kids can go together and wait for each other :thumbsup2

We have a shower in the motorhome, but it take about 20 minutes for the water to get hot again between showers and with 5 of us showering it can make for a long evening. It's so much faster to send the kids to the shower house !!

BRDof3
08-21-2008, 08:10 AM
I really like that set up too. My daughters have each other to go up to the shower house with, but our 7 yr old son has to have my dh take him up to shower. When the showers are all in a central location all three kids can go together and wait for each other :thumbsup2

We have a shower in the motorhome, but it take about 20 minutes for the water to get hot again between showers and with 5 of us showering it can make for a long evening. It's so much faster to send the kids to the shower house !!

I celebrated when the girls got old enough that the oldest was able to watch out for the younger one, and they would be able to deal with situations that would come up. Now we also have some small walkie-talkies. I can stay outside the showers and be able to stay connected. When DW is alone we still have the same problem, as he isn't quite old enough to do it on his own, but getting too old for the womens' side.

jrandtysmom
08-21-2008, 09:30 AM
I was thinking last week that a "Family Bathhouse" would be great at these places. Just like they have family bathrooms, they could have a bathhouse/comfort station that people know the whole family - boys and girls, men and women - will be in there and each shower area could be private and the shower areas a little larger. Then there would still be those that are just for men or just for women that people that aren't faced with those situations can use. Of course here I am a first time camper trying to change things and come up with suggestions on how it could be better. :lmao: The kind of person that guest relations just loves hear from. :rolleyes1

VACAMPER
08-21-2008, 11:04 AM
Just go in the mens, Frank goes in the womens all the time with no problem.;)

BRDof3
08-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Just go in the mens, Frank goes in the womens all the time with no problem.;)

Just make sure to get out before the sheriff shows up! ::cop:

2goofycampers
08-21-2008, 11:38 AM
Just make sure to get out before the sheriff shows up! ::cop:

It was just 3 deputies. :rotfl2:

BRDof3
08-21-2008, 11:47 AM
It was just 3 deputies. :rotfl2:

Call in the otters for back-up, then escape during the fight! :woohoo:

2goofycampers
08-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Call in the otters for back-up, then escape during the fight! :woohoo:

There actually was an otter running around the bank that day at the lake.

Born 2 Fish
08-21-2008, 03:27 PM
There actually was an otter running around the bank that day at the lake.

And he was staggering drunk !