PDA

View Full Version : anyone looking for a SPH cabin for 5/16/09 western?


dznyacct
08-18-2008, 10:09 PM
OK, a really bad day for me may hopefully be a really good day for a DISer. It is with great sadness that I realized today that I need to cancel the reservation I have for the 5/16/09 DCL western. What makes it even worse for me is the fact that I have a SPH cabin (5520) :(. To make a long story short, I have been an Accountant at a large multi-specialty medical clinic for over 22 years. In May 2007 our department along with a few others was told that once the new hospital that our clinic was in a joint venture with opened in October 2008, we would no longer be needed. Yes, the news was absolutely devastating. I could fill buckets with the amount of tears I've cried. Morale has been horrible and people have left giving us remaining more to do. I "thought" my life turned around a few months ago when I was approached that there would be the need for a local Accountant after all. I had to apply and interview and I was offered the job (a lateral pay move which was awesome). Crazy me, I believed everything was OK. I bought a new car and gave my son my old one (he and I had been sharing for the last year until my job situation was settled). Then I anxiously planned this cruise for me, DH, DS and DS's best friend to celebrate the end of their Freshman year of college. We did a DCL cruise 4 years ago and LOVED it.


A few weeks ago I was told that due to some last minute legal restructuring there would NOT be an Accountant position after all. I was numb and in disbelief (and really, really pi$*ed :(). I have started the wonderful task of job hunting, hoping to time it with the end of the year (we get a hefty retention/severance package if we stay till the bitter (and it will be bitter :() end). I signed up to take an intereviewing and resume writing class that starts this week.

So, now I have to be a grown up and cancel the cruise since I have a great fear that a big pay cut is in my future. Before I contacted my Dreams Unlimited agent (Kelsie), I wanted to see if a DISer was interested in trying to time my cancellation so they could get the SPH cabin. Please respond to this post or PM me. Hopefully someday I can book another one :(.

Jillpie
08-18-2008, 11:48 PM
Oh, I am so, so sorry to hear your news. Sometimes life throws us a really sucky curveball.:confused3 But ya know what, I bet you anything you'll find something else that you are going to love and you'll look back and say yes, this was all meant to be. You'll see.:) I just wanted to wish you all kinds of luck in your job search and don't you worry, DCL will be there as soon as you can book again.:thumbsup2

TiggerzFan
08-19-2008, 07:38 AM
So sorry you have to cancel your cruise. Sending pixie dust your way for better days ahead - and for a really nice upgrade when you can book again.:wizard:

Anal Annie
08-19-2008, 08:10 AM
I wouldn't cancel until the balance is due and you know what your circumstances are at the time!! Seriously. You have several months yet before you need to worry about cancelling. Something better may turn up! You have to believe that one door closes and another one opens. Hang onto that SPH room until your final payment is due - they are so-o hard to get! We were just in that room in July...and I got laid off the end of Feb. and have not found anything yet...but we had booked back-to-back cruises in March of LAST year and after getting that close decided not to forfeit. (We had booked the 4 n cruise with our DVC points so it was only a matter of paying the balance on our 3 n cruise which we had booked on cash.) But we'd planned all along to use our tax refund for it and that's exactly what we did. Aug. 30 will be 6 months for me since I got laid off...but I would not trade our vacation for anything! Something will turn up eventually...

karibritt01
08-19-2008, 09:01 AM
I do know what you are going through... we didn't find out I was going to be out of work until after my cancelation date. :headache: So now our cruise is paid, but we may have to scale way back on before cruise activities and excursions. But we will be on the boat, and it will all work out one way or another.

I wouldn't cancel until you find out what your new job situation is. It could be that you go into something immediately with similar pay. You still have a couple of months at full pay, then your severance. By that time you will have a better idea of your financial situation, and can make decisions then. I wish you the best!

disney1990
08-19-2008, 06:44 PM
I agree with the other posters and would not cancel your cruise yet. You have a long time until your cruise date and life could be quite different by then.

dznyacct
08-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Thanks to everyone for their kind words :goodvibes . I am going to go ahead and cancel the cruise this week. I am a HUGE planner by nature and can't wait till only a few months out to throw a cruise together. Plus, who knows what kind of vacation policy my new employer will have. I sure am going to miss my 25 days of PTO a year :(. Any Dreams Unlimited clients wanting to try and grab this SPH cabin before I cancel??????

dznyacct
08-22-2008, 10:29 AM
BUMP

Last chance, I'm contacting my DU agent this weekend about cancelling. Hope someone can gain from my loss :(.

wwwosie
08-22-2008, 01:19 PM
Thanks to everyone for their kind words :goodvibes . I am going to go ahead and cancel the cruise this week. I am a HUGE planner by nature and can't wait till only a few months out to throw a cruise together. Plus, who knows what kind of vacation policy my new employer will have. I sure am going to miss my 25 days of PTO a year :(. Any Dreams Unlimited clients wanting to try and grab this SPH cabin before I cancel??????

Sorry about your situation. I concurr with everyone else though, don't cancel yet, you can still PLAN it now and have some fun with it.
My husband got a new job last year and we had a major trip planned, when he got hired one of the things he negotiated was the time off he needed to make the trip. Keep looking and maybe everything will come together for you. Then again, if you need the deposit for something else, it does make sense to cancel.

Hope something turns up in the mean time.