PDA

View Full Version : Teachers & Guns

Us3
08-18-2008, 10:41 AM
Interesting read....
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080815/us_nm/texas_guns_dc

There are lots of parents and teachers on these boards...what do you guys think?

ntsammy5
08-18-2008, 10:43 AM
Personally, I don't have a problem with it. Go figure.

big kahuna1
08-18-2008, 10:54 AM
If they go through the training process then absolutely!:thumbsup2

Shannone1
08-18-2008, 10:56 AM
I think it's ridiculous. I also don't think anyone needs to own a handgun in the first place. And that's all I have to say about that :rolleyes1

tellnotails
08-18-2008, 10:59 AM
If you take the emotions out of the discussion.........no problems.....

I could never understand putting "any" restrictions on law abiding citizens

PolynesianPixie
08-18-2008, 11:33 AM
If you take the emotions out of the discussion.........no problems.....

I could never understand putting "any" restrictions on law abiding citizens

Unfortunately, we can't trust everyone to be law abiding citizens. Kind of screws it up for the rest of us, huh? Plus, if we were all law abiding citizens, why would we need handguns in the first place?

lisa8200
08-18-2008, 11:47 AM
If they go through the training process then absolutely!:thumbsup2

I'm with Steve. Of course, in a perfect world this wouldn't even be brought up ( bringing them to school, not if it was right or wrong ). When this becomes about everyone and not just teachers, I will add my other two cents.:thumbsup2

VACAMPER
08-18-2008, 11:53 AM
I don't have a problem with it. Living in the Blacksburg area i can't help but wonder if a teacher had had a gun during the VT shootings maybe so many young people wouldn't have died. That was a very sad time around here.

medic9016
08-18-2008, 12:15 PM
I think more should do the same. If you take guns away, only criminals will have them.

Gatordad
08-18-2008, 12:18 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much my opinion on the matter. But I'm not a strong advocate one way or the other.

2goofycampers
08-18-2008, 01:50 PM
Don't bring a pencil to a gunfight.

Gatordad
08-18-2008, 02:11 PM
Or a slinky.

tellnotails
08-18-2008, 02:33 PM
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j189/duke76_photos/230771029.jpg

medic9016
08-18-2008, 06:25 PM
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j189/duke76_photos/230771029.jpg

It's not the law abiding you need to worry about.

Brer Bear
08-18-2008, 08:34 PM
Being a Pharmacist, I've had quite a few "customers" irate at me over the years because I wouldn't fill their pain pills early or would catch a forgery and refuse to give it back to the customer after I've discussed it with the Doc. There have been several long walks across a darkened parking lot in which I've wished I was armed. I usually carried in my vehicle, but fat lot of good it would do me there!

My concealed carry permit should be here soon!:thumbsup2

auntie
08-18-2008, 08:48 PM
I wouldn't want to walk to the train station at 5 am like my son does without a weapon. He's a cop..so he does have his off duty weapon on him. We've also had an increase in home invasions on the island and when my neighbor who is a single mom was awakened at 3 am one morning by a man pounding on her door and windows screaming like a lunatic trying to get in, claiming that he LIVED there. You bet she would have used the gun that she had, if he had made it in. Luckily the police got there before it got to that point. Needless to say she was terrified, but she was ready to do what she had to if it meant protecting herself and her kids.(did I mention he was an illegal immigrant..I know, that's a whole other thread:sad2: ) We've also had situations where business owners have been followed home by those knowing that they are carrying a days receipts on them.

I don't have a problem with a teacher carrying a weapon, as long as they are trained to use it. I think once you've had the talk with your kids about what to do if they find themselves in school and a shooting takes place..well, it really drove home the fact that it's a different world than the one I grew up in. Where school was a safe place. Unfortunately, that's not always true.:sad1:

juligrl
08-18-2008, 08:51 PM
I have no problem in the world with their plan. I wish a plan like that would fly here in suburbia.

AuburnJen92
08-18-2008, 10:28 PM
Being a teacher, the problem with this is when the gun does not stay on the person of the permit. Meaning, if the gun is put in a drawer and the owner is lax with it, which is what I see with every other privilege given to the general public. Teachers are no exception to this rule. I could tell you horror stories that would make your ears bleed. I am perfectly happy at this point in my life knowing that there are at least two uniformed officers at all times on our campus with fully loaded guns that will work if needed. I also know that I have a radio that a student cannot outrun. I am willing to assume all the other risks as part of my job.

seabee
08-18-2008, 11:42 PM
It would be nice if we didn't have to worry about these things, but unfortunately we do. I will be honest, I have a S&W 9mm right where I need it should someone decide they also need to be in my home when they don't belong there. My kids and husband are my first priority, and where we live it will take the cops on avg. 7-10 mins. to get to my house. A lot can happen in 7-10 mins.

Unfortunately, not everyone is responsible with a weapon, and that is what makes headlines. You don't hear much about someone saving themselves or family because they had a gun and someone was trying to harm them. That doesn't make the headlines. There are many clips on youtube that show several minutes pass before anyone gets to the person's home. There is one that the 911 call last 6 mins and 45 seconds, there is an intruder in the woman's house, she finally has to shoot. At 6:45 the police had still not arrived.

I think about all these school shootings that have happened and I can't help but wonder if things would have been different if someone had been carrying something that could have ended it more quickly than SWAT negotiations, or waiting until the assailant decides to take their own life. I'm definately not trying to preach, but just expressing my feelings on the matter. I certainly respect feelings from the other side.:flower3:

TheFlame
08-19-2008, 12:54 AM
I homeschool so no problems here!:thumbsup2

Government schools are a JOKE!:scared1:...no offense to anyone here of course, just my humble opinion!;)

tellnotails
08-19-2008, 06:27 AM
Being a teacher, the problem with this is when the gun does not stay on the person of the permit. Meaning, if the gun is put in a drawer and the owner is lax with it, which is what I see with every other privilege given to the general public. Teachers are no exception to this rule. I could tell you horror stories that would make your ears bleed. I am perfectly happy at this point in my life knowing that there are at least two uniformed officers at all times on our campus with fully loaded guns that will work if needed. I also know that I have a radio that a student cannot outrun. I am willing to assume all the other risks as part of my job.

You need to research the requirement of " concealed to carry " laws.......

Putting a firearm any where other than on the person holding the permit is a violation..........note the word concealed...

In my opinion i do not feel safer with a minimum wage rent-a cop:confused3 ....I would much rather have a highly educated, law abiding teacher that has taken and passed the crisis training and gone through the permit process .......

Again if we look at this OP article with an open mind and check our emotions at the door .....we'll find this to be a solution not the problem :teacher:

BigDaddyRog
08-19-2008, 06:29 AM

Government schools are a JOKE!:scared1:...no offense to anyone here of course, just my humble opinion!;)

Thats a pretty strong one!!! But I wouldnt expect anything less from you!!! Whats that....a bottle of gasoline?...Is that a match in your pocket???;)

2goofycampers
08-19-2008, 08:22 AM

Putting a firearm any where other than on the person holding the permit is a violation..........note the word concealed...

In my opinion i do not feel safer with a minimum wage rent-a cop:confused3 ....I would much rather have a highly educated, law abiding teacher that has taken and passed the crisis training and gone through the permit process .......

Again if we look at this OP article with an open mind and check our emotions at the door .....we'll find this to be a solution not the problem :teacher:

The SRO's (school resourse officer) here are REAL police officers.

ram101
08-19-2008, 08:43 AM
I have mixed thoughts on that. It's a good idea but could get out of hand if not kept in check!

it would be a good idea for a school to have a few (2-3) teachers specially trained, who had to go though an extensive firearms training course put on by the local PD's or state. To have all the teachers or even a large amount armed could end in more of a mess (crossfire and such!!). When a person is involved in a shooting they get tunnel vision and loose touch with the world outside of where the threat is. It could be a dangerous situation, stress is very high! Too many stressed people taking shots...hmmm Even with fellow employees I will not go in in front of them and they are trained!! Keep them where I can see'em :goodvibes
I also think that if a school has a designated SRO they should not have this as the officer is specially trained in firearms (or should be!!) and to the response to active shooter situations! "Rent a cops" should also never be used to replace the real thing...they should stay with controlling the parking lot and walking the halls to identify situations and report it to the SRO!

g8trmom1
08-19-2008, 09:09 AM

Do you plan on sending your kids to college? Or are they going to do that from home as well?

Us3
08-19-2008, 09:40 AM
I will be honest, I have a S&W 9mm right where I need it should someone decide they also need to be in my home when they don't belong there.

No one messes with Nicole! ;)

luke6417
08-19-2008, 10:26 AM
I teach highschool in Mississippi. One of the first big school shootings to make headlines in this country took place 40 miles away at Pearl High School. Through college classes and coaching I have actually been able to talk to a few people who were actually there when it happened. Most people don't realize that that incident was not brought to an end by the cops, but by a principal and a guidance counselor who both happened to have handguns in their vehicles. I teach at a very rural school. There are many students at my school that go straight to the woods from school during hunting season. I have even caught some of my baseball players shooting crows on the football field on a Saturday. To think that there are never guns on our campus is a joke. I would gladly carry in the classroom if I was allowed and properly trained. More than a firearm, though, I would rather have access to a taser. There are some big students at our school. Two years ago my wife, who was pregnant and didn't know it yet, was pucnhed trying to stop a fight. Yesterday, I was punched 5 times breaking up a fight between two girls. In both instances, all parties invovled were taken to jail. Last year we had a fight between to football players that took 8 men to break up. During this particular fight, the mob mentality took over and there were students trying to stop the staff from stopping the fight. Three teachers were shut into their own classrooms. There are difinately times when I fear for the safety of other teachers at school. I'm 26 years old, 6' tall and weigh 230lbs. I usually don't fear for my own safety, but I do fear for the safety of several of my coworkers, including my 120 lb wife.

ftwildernessguy
08-19-2008, 10:41 AM
I think it's ridiculous. I also don't think anyone needs to own a handgun in the first place. And that's all I have to say about that :rolleyes1

The last place I want to live is in a country where only the government is allowed to have guns.

I have spent a significant part of my career using weapons and carrying them for my own protection while in some unsavory areas of the world. That being said, I don't own one, yet I have considered it several times due to certain circumstances. I firmly believe that if you are going to have one, you must be willing to 1)shoot without hesitation and 2)shoot to kill. There is no room for hesitation (I wonder if that noise is the dog or one of my kids coming home late). If you hesitate, or firing a warning shot, you will be dead. I have no issues whatsoever with properly trainied individuals carrying weapons in the schools. In light of recent events which have resulted in many innocent people dying, I feel the more trained, armed individuals we have the safer we all will be.

Just Beachy
08-19-2008, 10:59 AM
The SRO's (school resourse officer) here are REAL police officers.

Same here in my school district.

DisneyBishops
08-19-2008, 11:29 AM
I always wonder if we issue a gun to each airline passenger. do you think we would have hijackings anymore.

2goofycampers
08-19-2008, 11:31 AM
I always wonder if we issue a gun to each airline passenger. do you think we would have hijackings anymore.

No, but the way the airlines are treating people these days, there might be alot of holes in the planes. :rotfl2:

seabee
08-19-2008, 11:43 AM
No one messes with Nicole! ;)
:lmao:
I didn't mean to sound like a gun crazed loony, cause I certainly am not, but I do feel better knowing that I can protect my family if need be.

Us3
08-19-2008, 12:17 PM
I didn't mean to sound like a gun crazed loony, cause I certainly am not, but I do feel better knowing that I can protect my family if need be.

hehe...I was totally just teasing you! I actually very much admire your position on the matter! :thumbsup2

BigDaddyRog
08-19-2008, 03:47 PM

Hey...Ive seen your photobucket albums!!!!;)

AuburnJen92
08-19-2008, 04:20 PM

I have researched the requirements of concealed weapons permits, as I have one personally. Just because you have one, doesn't mean you obey the rules. (I watch what goes on in schools every day man) It is just like having a drivers' license. Just because you have one, doesn't mean you obey the law. We are trained in crisis prevention, and I am personally trained to take a person down in a crisis situation, gun or no gun, as that is part of my job. You constantly assume that I don't know what I am talking about, when you are in no position to do so. I am politely asking you to not assume any longer. We have two fully trained, not rented, cops, that are former army MIP's, and also belong to their departments respective gang and honor squads. My emotions are always checked at the door with this issue. Are yours?

I am fully confident in our response plans. I own a gun proudly. However, I realize the dangers of that gun falling into hands that might jeopardize my safety and others. That is the reason I rely on my training in other areas and let the unformed officers do their jobs. I have another job to do. At home, it is a different story. We unfortunately have to have these rules in place because the responsible are of the minority, not the majority. If it was a different world, I would agree with having the guns on campus. I just know the general population and it scares me, yes, even the teachers.

auntie
08-19-2008, 04:44 PM
I think that if our school actually had trained security..as in police officers or former military that carried a weapon. Then I wouldn't see the need for a properly trained teacher to carry a weapon.(if he or she wanted to). That being said, our security people do not carry weapons, and sadly they don't do a great job of keeping kids on campus, let alone deal with a possible school shooting.

AuburnJen92
08-19-2008, 04:45 PM

You are not a crazed loony. You sound like a perfectly normal protector of the family to me!:thumbsup2

AuburnJen92
08-19-2008, 04:47 PM
I think that if our school actually had trained security..as in police officers or former military that carried a weapon. Then I wouldn't see the need for a properly trained teacher to carry a weapon.(if he or she wanted to). That being said, our security people do not carry weapons, and sadly they don't do a great job of keeping kids on campus, let alone deal with a possible school shooting.

See, that is the difference in what I was talking about and the OP. The article dealt with rural schools where police would have to take a long time to get there.

KingBee
08-19-2008, 04:49 PM
Hey...Ive seen your photobucket albums!!!!;)

Those pics would be mine!!;) I have been told I am NOT right:eek:

Brer Bear
08-19-2008, 04:52 PM
The answer is EASY...no guns needed. Shock collars on all the students and the Teacher with the remote! If you leave the school without permission *ZAP*, if you are disrupting class *ZAP*, if you talk back to the Teacher *BZZZZZZZZT"!:thumbsup2

At least give them cattle prods!!!

I have a 16 year old and a 10 year old and both my mom and sis are teachers...I'd like to *BZZZZZZT* them sometimes too, especially when the oldest gets mouthy!

Somebody is going to report me....aincha!:ssst:

AuburnJen92
08-19-2008, 04:59 PM
The answer is EASY...no guns needed. Shock collars on all the students and the Teacher with the remote! If you leave the school without permission *ZAP*, if you are disrupting class *ZAP*, if you talk back to the Teacher *BZZZZZZZZT"!:thumbsup2

I have a 16 year old and a 10 year old and both my mom and sis are teachers...I'd like to *BZZZZZZT* them sometimes too, especially when the oldest gets mouthy!

I LIKE THIS GUY!:thumbsup2

Brer Bear
08-19-2008, 05:04 PM
I also have an idea on how to reduce the teen pregnancy rate....

3 hour block childcare for ALL HIGH SCHOOL BOYS, no girls...just the boys at least once a week.Let Johnny Linebacker walk back and forth trying to placate a screaming baby for several hours at a time! Give free child care to those who can't afford it to the community and give those who wanna "practice" the art of procreation something to think about! Let those boys get wet on and gag a few times from cleaning some those messier poo-poo diapers...make em think before they start getting romantic!

BigDaddyRog
08-19-2008, 05:31 PM
Nothing can kill romance like a poopy dipey!!

ram101
08-19-2008, 05:38 PM

Boy I wish more parents were like this!!! It is amazing at how many moms and dads have no clue what is going on in their kids lives. Or maybe I should say have no cares!

VACAMPER
08-19-2008, 05:41 PM
Those pics would be mine!!;) I have been told I am NOT right:eek:

Maybe you need to post those pics. for all to see.

KingBee
08-19-2008, 06:03 PM
Maybe you need to post those pics. for all to see.

;) I'm not that kind of guy.

VACAMPER
08-19-2008, 06:06 PM
;) I'm not that kind of guy.

:sad2: Yes you are. Nicole just keeps you in line.

seabee
08-19-2008, 06:12 PM

That is too funny, a friend of mine and I are always talking about marketing something like this. Nothing too harmful, low voltage, we don't want to permanantly scar the kids, just get their attention. Maybe after the second time you can turn it up a bit.:rotfl:

KingBee
08-19-2008, 06:14 PM
:sad2: Yes you are. Nicole just keeps you in line.

Nah, I just let her think she does. That's the secret to a great marriage...she's not around is she?:rolleyes1

seabee
08-19-2008, 06:17 PM
:sad2:

RvUsa
08-19-2008, 06:30 PM
You guys crack me up.... good to see ya Jim.

Gatordad
08-19-2008, 06:43 PM
Nah, I just let her think she does. That's the secret to a great marriage...she's not around is she?:rolleyes1

You need to come on here more.

KingBee
08-19-2008, 06:59 PM
Ya I know. Nicole only lets me out once in a while.:rolleyes1 J/K I lurk more than post. Nicole's mouth is big enough for the both of us.:rotfl:

seabee
08-19-2008, 07:05 PM
:sad2: See what happens when he gets his own account, and I leave him unattended.

VACAMPER
08-19-2008, 07:28 PM
Nicole, do you need backup?

AuburnJen92
08-19-2008, 08:57 PM
I also have an idea on how to reduce the teen pregnancy rate....

3 hour block childcare for ALL HIGH SCHOOL BOYS, no girls...just the boys at least once a week.Let Johnny Linebacker walk back and forth trying to placate a screaming baby for several hours at a time! Give free child care to those who can't afford it to the community and give those who wanna "practice" the art of procreation something to think about! Let those boys get wet on and gag a few times from cleaning some those messier poo-poo diapers...make em think before they start getting romantic!

You need to work in the school system, you really do.

Brer Bear
08-19-2008, 09:44 PM
I kind of do...I'm the guy that fills the ADHD meds...

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of people that truely benefit from Ritalin, Focalin, etc for ADHD, but it seems that there a lot of kids who are "just" given the meds and don't get the hugs and structure that they would get much more benefit from. How many times as a teacher have you told a parent that "little timmy" is being a hellion and get the response "we'll take him back to the doctor and they can adjust his medicine..."and you're thinking "BEAT THAT BUTT!"

Before anyone flames me, my DS10 has Aspergers and I'm VERY aware of the plight of a parent who's child has a true disability. There are just way too many who just don't want to step up to the plate and BE A PARENT...too easy to say, "It's the ADHD"....sorry, rant over. *steps off soap box*

AuburnJen92
08-19-2008, 09:48 PM
I kind of do...I'm the guy that fills the ADHD meds...

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of people that truely benefit from Ritalin, Focalin, etc for ADHD, but it seems that there a lot of kids who are "just" given the meds and don't get the hugs and structure that they would get much more benefit from. How many times as a teacher have you told a parent that "little timmy" is being a hellion and get the response "we'll take him back to the doctor and they can adjust his medicine..."and you're thinking "BEAT THAT BUTT!"

Before anyone flames me, my DS10 has Aspergers and I'm VERY aware of the plight of a parent who's child has a true disability. There are just way too many who just don't want to step up to the plate and BE A PARENT...too easy to say, "It's the ADHD"....sorry, rant over. *steps off soap box*

Unfortunately, it is like everything else in this world. The majority of the population would like to take the easy way out instead of toughing it and creating a productive citizen in the end. There are cases that need medication, granted. However, I find it the minority, not the majority in most cases.

tellnotails
08-19-2008, 10:32 PM
We unfortunately have to have these rules in place because the responsible are of the minority, not the majority.

I do not assume this to be true at all.....

Shannone1
08-19-2008, 10:36 PM
That is too funny, a friend of mine and I are always talking about marketing something like this. Nothing too harmful, low voltage, we don't want to permanantly scar the kids, just get their attention. Maybe after the second time you can turn it up a bit.:rotfl:

They make electronic training collars for dogs...why not kids ?? :idea: :angel:

big kahuna1
08-20-2008, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnJen92
We unfortunately have to have these rules in place because the responsible are of the minority, not the majority.

I do not assume this to be true at all.....

Sorry Jen but I don't agree either. This is an assumption that has been proven false time and time again. It is factually the other way around. :thumbsup2

PolynesianPixie
08-20-2008, 08:32 AM
Jen works in a high school. She calls it like she sees it.

jugman
08-20-2008, 11:14 AM

g8trmom1
08-20-2008, 11:32 AM
The college's need to be closed as well, from what I see. It seems to me that common sense is just about gone and being replaced with BS degrees.:laughing: Most jobs can be done without a degree of any kind. It's called training. This world has brainwashed people into thinking you have to have a degree or you'll never amount to anything. I must go now and tell the sucessful people I know that doesn't have one that they aren't sucessful.:rotfl2:

That is sooo not true...but everyone has their opinion!!:goodvibes

jugman
08-20-2008, 12:13 PM

Us3
08-20-2008, 12:28 PM
I can see both sides here. In my opinion they go hand in hand. I'm definitely all about college because you can never have too much knowledge. However I also think that experience and specialized training in your field can be more beneficial than anything. With that being said, many many companies require you to have that degree (in certain fields) before you can advance past a certain level in your career.

I have a BBA and I'm a CPA...but I'm not even in the accounting field anymore. :rotfl: It's the work experience that has taken me into my current position. :rolleyes:

Gatordad
08-20-2008, 01:12 PM
I agree Soni. There are plenty of successul people in this world without a college degree, but there are significant amount higher without that are not what you would call successful. Having a degree doesn't make you more intelligent than the guy without, it just means you went to college and were able to complete tasks towards a goal. And it's the easiest way to separate the first level of competition. It's funny how the non-degree people try to minimize academic achievement, as justification for their lack of having it. Some states even require now electricians to have a degree. I told my kids they can be whatever they want in life, but they'll start out that path in college.

BigDaddyRog
08-20-2008, 01:32 PM
Well....here I am...didnt finish highschool, not what most would consider successfull, and certainly not "HAPPY" with my ..... (ahem)...career!! But being that my past is what it is, I DO actually consider myself lucky to be where I am. Now that Ive gottenTHAT out of the way...I have pushed my kids as hard as I can without busting their lips about how important college is, and have forced them to put forth a valiant effort in their education....I guess if I didnt think college was a good tool to impress the right people during an interview, I wouldnt try to direct their focus on it so strictly. I DO agree that anyone can do most any job with proper training versus a college degree...but I also know that non-degree holders dont get the chance that the guy with the degree's gonna get, and I think you need all the ammo you can carry these days.

Gatordad
08-20-2008, 01:35 PM
You are a pretty good family man. WHen they make that radio show about us, it'll probably turn into like a tv show, but with no viewers.

BigDaddyRog
08-20-2008, 01:36 PM
Hey man...GATORDAD=RATINGS....we'd have viewers!!!

Gatordad
08-20-2008, 01:38 PM
It'd be the same 10 people or so....... Maybe colston would watch as well. So we'd be up to 11

ntsammy5
08-20-2008, 01:44 PM
WHen they make that radio show about us, it'll probably turn into like a tv show, but with no viewers.

Prairie Home Companion!

jugman
08-20-2008, 01:46 PM

ntsammy5
08-20-2008, 01:50 PM
Personally I don't want to go to an MD who doesn't have a degree, but maybe that's just me. I also don't want someone without a degree designing and supervising the construction of a water treatment plant.

I might be biased though, because that's what my daughters do.

jugman
08-20-2008, 01:57 PM

ntsammy5
08-20-2008, 02:02 PM
The college's need to be closed as well, from what I see. :

I guess I misunderstood this - but I do in fact agree with some of your premises.

medic9016
08-20-2008, 02:06 PM
Since this post went from teacher and guns to college or no college. I'll add my 2 cents, I think that all males should do at least 2 years in the military after high school.

Gatordad
08-20-2008, 02:07 PM
I think if they aren't enrolled fulltime college, yes. However, the military is getting more hi-tech, and I'm not even sure they'd agree with you.

tellnotails
08-20-2008, 02:35 PM
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i14/AUBURN_MYSTIQUE/Politically%20INCORRECT/Gun%20Control/GunControl-1.jpg

F4disneyfan
08-20-2008, 02:36 PM
I have no real issue with gun ownership it is the loose laws revolving around aquisition and carrying.

jrandtysmom
08-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Here is one more supporter for College Edumication. I didn't finish college, I was the genius who thought partying and hanging out with boys was a much better route to take. :rotfl2: Once my parents found out I wasn't regularly attending my classes - my free ride was over. I didn't have the money myself and then the family came and I didn't have time. Now I wish every day that I had finished because I am as intelligent (if not more - ok ok so back in college I didn't seem to have many brain cells but that was really just poor decisions - I knew better) as the guy running this joint, but because he has a degree he got to move to the top of the class while I just run everything for him -while making much much less than he I might add (and I do all of this and still have my DIS time :woohoo: ). So I tell my kids (even the one who is just starting pre-school) that no matter what they have to take school seriously, finish college and get their degrees. When they ask why, I tell them so that you don't have to work as hard as mommy - you can be at the top of the class watching everyone else work. :lmao: I am a single parent and I am struggling to put both my kids through private school so that hopefully they will receive a better education and have much better opportunities then I have (and don't make the same dumb choices I did. :sad2: )

College does matter and anyone who tries to say it doesn't just looks for ways to skate around the system. Any job I've ever REALLY wanted required some type of degree. It's the way our world works. Sure you can do some type of training - but that is still schooling. Either way you look at it, you really can't make a decent living without putting some effort towards education. Thinking you can just get ahead by experience is not true. I've been in the my field for 11 years now and do a great job - but I'd get passed up every time for someone who is out of college with a degree because they have shown that they put the effort forward to get that extra education and I look like I didn't. Do I think it's unfair -sometimes, depending on my mood I do - but I understand the why's and how's and unless I'm able (which at this time I'm not) to go that extra mile and show that I've "bettered" my education - then I can't complain. I just work hard to provide for my boys and hope that the opportunity arises that I can go back to school and continue my education - if for nothing else to set an example for my kids of how they SHOULD do it so that they aren't passed by in the working world. :teacher:

g8trmom1
08-20-2008, 03:04 PM
Here is one more supporter for College Edumication. I didn't finish college, I was the genius who thought partying and hanging out with boys was a much better route to take. :rotfl2: Once my parents found out I wasn't regularly attending my classes - my free ride was over. I didn't have the money myself and then the family came and I didn't have time. Now I wish every day that I had finished because I am as intelligent (if not more - ok ok so back in college I didn't seem to have many brain cells but that was really just poor decisions - I knew better) as the guy running this joint, but because he has a degree he got to move to the top of the class while I just run everything for him -while making much much less than he I might add (and I do all of this and still have my DIS time :woohoo: ). So I tell my kids (even the one who is just starting pre-school) that no matter what they have to take school seriously, finish college and get their degrees. When they ask why, I tell them so that you don't have to work as hard as mommy - you can be at the top of the class watching everyone else work. :lmao: I am a single parent and I am struggling to put both my kids through private school so that hopefully they will receive a better education and have much better opportunities then I have (and don't make the same dumb choices I did. :sad2: )

College does matter and anyone who tries to say it doesn't just looks for ways to skate around the system. Any job I've ever REALLY wanted required some type of degree. It's the way our world works. Sure you can do some type of training - but that is still schooling. Either way you look at it, you really can't make a decent living without putting some effort towards education. Thinking you can just get ahead by experience is not true. I've been in the my field for 11 years now and do a great job - but I'd get passed up every time for someone who is out of college with a degree because they have shown that they put the effort forward to get that extra education and I look like I didn't. Do I think it's unfair -sometimes, depending on my mood I do - but I understand the why's and how's and unless I'm able (which at this time I'm not) to go that extra mile and show that I've "bettered" my education - then I can't complain. I just work hard to provide for my boys and hope that the opportunity arises that I can go back to school and continue my education - if for nothing else to set an example for my kids of how they SHOULD do it so that they aren't passed by in the working world. :teacher:

Well there you go, a living example....Thank you!

jrandtysmom
08-20-2008, 03:13 PM
The college's need to be closed as well, from what I see. It seems to me that common sense is just about gone and being replaced with BS degrees.:laughing: Most jobs can be done without a degree of any kind. It's called training. This world has brainwashed people into thinking you have to have a degree or you'll never amount to anything. I must go now and tell the sucessful people I know that doesn't have one that they aren't sucessful.:rotfl2:

There are some very successful people - my dad has ran his own company for 40 years with an 8th grade education - but things were ALOT different back then they are now. It's not that the jobs CAN'T be done without a degree, it's that the system REQUIRES you to have one to get ahead of the guy who does. Unless you are going to start your own company or get really lucky in a company that doesn't follow "the rules" then without a degree you get left behind or spend years getting to the same place that someone with a degree got to long ago.

I may not agree with all you say - but I do like your signature. :rolleyes1

Us3
08-20-2008, 03:16 PM
Ah, Soni, you're such a good mom! :hug: Your boys are very luck to have you as a mommy! So when is that next camping trip?

loveDmouse
08-20-2008, 03:24 PM
Well, here are my 2 cents.

I believe in the right to bear arms. Not letting people buy guns isn't going to stop the criminals from getting the guns so why should we be left unprotected?

I think if the teachers can get proper training then it could be a good idea and possibly save lives. It may even get some people to think twice before bringing a gun to school.

What I really think would help with crime is going the eye for an eye route. Whatever horrible act someone commits against another human or animal should be done to them. I think that would make someone think twice. Although there are the nuts out there who it wouldn't matter anyway.

Ok, I am rambling now so I quit there. Sorry. :guilty:

jrandtysmom
08-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Ah, Soni, you're such a good mom! :hug: Your boys are very luck to have you as a mommy! So when is that next camping trip?

I was going to try and book somewhere for Labor Day weekend - late I know but the local Yogi campground did have some availabilty - UNTIL I received the football schedule and of course he has games every Saturday (and some Sundays), including Labor Day weekend, so it looks like we aren't going to have much of a life until this football season is over. Have I complained much about football and how much it's taken over our lives? :confused3 Actually we've been having fun with it but now that I've discovered something else I want to do - I'm a little irritated with it. Oh well there is always the spring. :banana:

Gatordad
08-20-2008, 03:40 PM
it's not too late to finish.... it may be hard, but it's not impossible.

jrandtysmom
08-20-2008, 03:45 PM
it's not too late to finish.... it may be hard, but it's not impossible.

Yea I know it's not impossible. It's just hard right now because I don't have anyone to watch the boys in the evenings while I attend school. I want to go back to finish my nursing degree and I've checked into it and it would require alot of hours. I could go back and do other things and it wouldn't take as long - but if I'm going to put forth the effort, I'd rather it be for something I really want to do - not what I'm already doing. :rotfl:

jugman
08-20-2008, 04:24 PM

BRDof3
08-20-2008, 04:37 PM
Every situation is different, as is every person, and you can't make a blanket across-the-board judgement about them all. Until recently nobody thought that nurses needed to be educated, just trained. But healthcare has gotten WAY too complex to rely on learing the same basic task skills.

I haven't worked in a hospital since I got my degree, I've preferred to help my patients in their real world situation. That has meant the ability to apply clinical knowledge and practice to constantly changing settings. You can't "train" someone to do that. All the time I spent studying psychology, sociology, finance and general business principles has not been wasted, as they are constantly coming in to play.

If I was simply trained to work in a hospital I would not have been able to do all the things I have done for the last 15 years. Even my wife, who has always been hospital-based, would not have lasted long in critical care without a solid education under all the task-oriented training.

Gatordad
08-20-2008, 04:37 PM
Yea I know it's not impossible. It's just hard right now because I don't have anyone to watch the boys in the evenings while I attend school. I want to go back to finish my nursing degree and I've checked into it and it would require alot of hours. I could go back and do other things and it wouldn't take as long - but if I'm going to put forth the effort, I'd rather it be for something I really want to do - not what I'm already doing. :rotfl:

trust me, it doesn't get any easier as you get older..... I had reasons for not getting my 2nd degree for years, I finally had enough and then just went back for it.

jugman
08-20-2008, 05:00 PM

BigDaddyRog
08-20-2008, 05:07 PM
Jugman....dont you run a farm? Man.....that aint easy work...may not require a degree, but it does indeed require education. I cant keep a house plant alive!!

Us3
08-20-2008, 05:09 PM
jugman, i dont think anyone has talked down to you at all...simply expressed their different point of view of why education is important for them. i think most folks can appreciate your point of view because experience does count for a lot...but sometimes it's just not enough for a position or career we choose to have.

Gatordad
08-20-2008, 05:35 PM
no big loss, his goal is to flame.

jugman
08-20-2008, 07:11 PM
Have a great day.

jrandtysmom
08-20-2008, 09:09 PM
What did I miss? :confused3

BRDof3
08-20-2008, 09:11 PM

Just a flamer. All the blank posts are his, he went back in and edited them out later.

jrandtysmom
08-20-2008, 09:19 PM
Oh well.

Gatordad - I wanted to say thanks for the kick in the butt earlier. I thought about what you said all through football practice tonight and I'm going to figure out a way to go back to school to finish my degree. You're right, there will always be excuses and it won't be easy, but I think it'll just make it that much more valuable to me once I'm done. :thumbsup2 I know you've been going through the same so thanks for the little pep talk! :)

BRDof3
08-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Oh well.

Gatordad - I wanted to say thanks for the kick in the butt earlier. I thought about what you said all through football practice tonight and I'm going to figure out a way to go back to school to finish my degree. You're right, there will always be excuses and it won't be easy, but I think it'll just make it that much more valuable to me once I'm done. :thumbsup2 I know you've been going through the same so thanks for the little pep talk! :)

Go for it, one nurse to another. My SIL finished her nursing degree while by brother was in S. Korea for a year, courtesy of the USAF. She managed as essentially a single mother of 3 and finished the toughest part of the whole thing alone. We were cheering her on, and Mom went down to TX for a little while to help, but I still don't know how she pulled that off. She's working in a transplant unit now.

Just some inspiration, hopefully...

ntsammy5
08-20-2008, 09:28 PM
You go girl! :thumbsup2

Gatordad
08-20-2008, 09:43 PM
Oh well.

hey now, i didn't use the word excuses. Mine definately were, like 2 jobs, the kids no time, no money blah blah blah. I started at University of Phoenix, didn't like it, so I said, to heck with it. I'm applying to UF, if I get in, I'll find a way to pay for it and do it.

I'm sure if you put your mind to it, you will get it done. I know it's hard being the single parent, my wife can't wait for this to be over.

big kahuna1
08-21-2008, 07:24 AM
my wife can't wait for this to be over.

That is the REAL reason he went back to school. It was not to get the degree to better his job...it was to get out of the house.:scared1:

jugman
08-21-2008, 07:27 AM

I just went back and deleted my opinions since all I am is a flamer. I know why colsen left now.

ntsammy5
08-21-2008, 08:35 AM
Jugman, I usually don't pipe in on these things, but I went back and looked at the responses to your posts and I didn't see anything that was out of order, Of course, the threads you edited I couldn't see but the responses weren't bad. JMO.

PolynesianPixie
08-21-2008, 08:39 AM
I can't say who's flaming who, because I did not get an opportunity to read all the posts, but I think I get the gist. As far as guns for teachers go.....I would like to think that we could trust teachers to carry them and respect them and not allow anyone else to get a hold of them. But I hate that in today's society we feel a need for teachers to have them. In the high school I graduated from in PA, it was common for a kid to come to school with a gun in the back of his truck. Nobody thought twice about it. He'd show it off and maybe go hunting later. There was no fear because guns were respected in that community and more importantly people were respected.

As far as higher education goes...I'm all for it. Is it possible to have a fulfilling and lucrative career without one? Of course! Do I use my degree? Not really at the moment as a SAHM, but I am proud that I have it. It is an accomplishment and an example to my children. Also there is so much more that I know and understand now that I have completed That degree. Not to mention the experience of going to college. Being out on your own for the first time, but with help from friends and professors was something that is unmatched anywhere else. I wouldn't trade it! Once again, it is a personal choice. It may not be for everyone. Going back to that small PA town, farming was the main occupation. I can say that education was also valued. Many people who I went to high school with who planned to become farmers still went to college, majored in Agriculture and their business was that much more successful!

g8trmom1
08-21-2008, 08:47 AM
Things that make you go hmmmm......

jrandtysmom
08-21-2008, 09:12 AM
Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I'm excited and am going to start looking around today to see what I need to do. I may start online and do anything I can there and then enroll in the fall to start classes at the school but I have to see what's offered first.

Interesting that Colson was brought up. How do new people know about someone that no longer posts here? :confused3 I sure didn't when I first started. Hmmmm

PolynesianPixie
08-21-2008, 09:26 AM
Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I'm excited and am going to start looking around today to see what I need to do. I may start online and do anything I can there and then enroll in the fall to start classes at the school but I have to see what's offered first.

Interesting that Colson was brought up. How do new people know about someone that no longer posts here? :confused3 I sure didn't when I first started. Hmmmm

Jugman isn't new, he just doesn't post often.

I'm so happy that you are doing this for you...and your boys! It will mean a lot to them to see their mom working towards this lofty goal! It will be a challenging road, but so worth it in the end! Never loose sight of that! If you ever need encouragement, you'll get plenty of it here! :banana:

Yay for Soni!!!!!

jrandtysmom
08-21-2008, 09:37 AM
Jugman isn't new, he just doesn't post often.

I'm so happy that you are doing this for you...and your boys! It will mean a lot to them to see their mom working towards this lofty goal! It will be a challenging road, but so worth it in the end! Never loose sight of that! If you ever need encouragement, you'll get plenty of it here! :banana:

Yay for Soni!!!!!

My apologies Jugman, I thought you were new because I had never seen you here before. I'm pretty new so I'm just learning. As far as being a flamer (that word is so funny to me because where I come from we use it in a totally different context) I have no idea. I just didn't totally agree that you don't need a college education because I've been on the receiving end of the effects of not having one. Hopefully people are able to have varying points of view here - and that when someone doesn't agree with you, you don't get upset because I think you'll find that happens alot. But if you don't stand for something, then your just Obama. I'm sorry that slipped out. :rolleyes1

Thanks so much Ami! I think I will need the encouragment because even though I know in the end it will be good for the boys, I already deal with alot of guilt for having to work so much and leaving them and now to add time away for school but hopefully they will understand the bigger picture.

PolynesianPixie
08-21-2008, 09:47 AM
My apologies Jugman, I thought you were new because I had never seen you here before. I'm pretty new so I'm just learning. As far as being a flamer (that word is so funny to me because where I come from we use it in a totally different context) I have no idea. I just didn't totally agree that you don't need a college education because I've been on the receiving end of the effects of not having one. Hopefully people are able to have varying points of view here - and that when someone doesn't agree with you, you don't get upset because I think you'll find that happens alot. But if you don't stand for something, then your just Obama. I'm sorry that slipped out. :rolleyes1

Thanks so much Ami! I think I will need the encouragment because even though I know in the end it will be good for the boys, I already deal with alot of guilt for having to work so much and leaving them and now to add time away for school but hopefully they will understand the bigger picture.

The little time you've been on here, I can already tell you are a great Mom! Yes, time with your kids is extremely important, but more important is the quality of time that you spend. I can see that you will go out of your way, maybe even be a little sleep deprived yourself :rolleyes1 , to give those boys experiences with their mom that they will treasure forever. Chances are they won't remember the time they were just "hangin' out" with mom or a sitter or whoever....but they will remember the weekends and the trips and all those special moments. As long as they know that you are there for them and will drop everything if they need you..then they'll be good. Plus, think how proud they will be in the end!

2goofycampers
08-21-2008, 10:11 AM
Here is a thread from the budget board talking about going back to school for mom's, might be of some interest. Be sure and bookmark it that place moves pages in a day you'll loose it quickly.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1926847

Gatordad
08-21-2008, 10:36 AM
"The college's need to be closed as well, from what I see. It seems to me that common sense is just about gone and being replaced with BS degrees"

When your post starts off like this, you are attempting to flame. I didn't see where anyone spoke down to him, in spite of his attempts to start trouble. Frankly, if he chooses to feel that way, then edit his posts, then leave, I won't stop him.

jrandtysmom
08-21-2008, 10:40 AM
The little time you've been on here, I can already tell you are a great Mom! Yes, time with your kids is extremely important, but more important is the quality of time that you spend. I can see that you will go out of your way, maybe even be a little sleep deprived yourself :rolleyes1 , to give those boys experiences with their mom that they will treasure forever. Chances are they won't remember the time they were just "hangin' out" with mom or a sitter or whoever....but they will remember the weekends and the trips and all those special moments. As long as they know that you are there for them and will drop everything if they need you..then they'll be good. Plus, think how proud they will be in the end!

Thanks Ami! You're pretty awesome yourself.

AuburnJen92
08-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Frankly, if he chooses to feel that way, then edit his posts, then leave, I won't stop him.

It seems to work for others on the board...I guess it is just a trend...popcorn::

TheFlame
08-21-2008, 11:22 AM
"The college's need to be closed as well, from what I see. It seems to me that common sense is just about gone and being replaced with BS degrees"

When your post starts off like this, you are attempting to flame. I didn't see where anyone spoke down to him, in spite of his attempts to start trouble. Frankly, if he chooses to feel that way, then edit his posts, then leave, I won't stop him.

Wow, I guess that would be your opinion that you just posted then wouldn't it as it was jugman's opinion you quoted. So who is flamen...:confused3

I am also so sure he is glad you gave him permission to leave otherwise he would have just kept flamen, err I mean stating his opinion!;) Boy, it sure is hard to get along in this little world of same opinions where you are considered a trouble maker if your opinion is different than others?!?:confused:

DznyRulz
08-21-2008, 03:08 PM
Ami and Soni should just hug now and get it over with. :hug:

As for going back/continuing school, I say definitely do it. I was laid off and couldn't get a job in my field because I didn't have my degree. Once I got a job I promised DW the first thing I would do is go back to school. I got a job, went back to school and graduated with a 4.0. Surprised everyone, including me since I barely got out of high school.

Gatordad
08-21-2008, 03:24 PM
congrats, although it means you studied too hard, lol.

TheFlame
08-21-2008, 04:59 PM
The truth shall set you free!;)

:goodvibes

Gatordad
08-21-2008, 10:22 PM
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w66/n880ep/grass.jpg

PolynesianPixie
08-22-2008, 09:30 AM
Ami and Soni should just hug now and get it over with. :hug:

As for going back/continuing school, I say definitely do it. I was laid off and couldn't get a job in my field because I didn't have my degree. Once I got a job I promised DW the first thing I would do is go back to school. I got a job, went back to school and graduated with a 4.0. Surprised everyone, including me since I barely got out of high school.

Good job!

Ok, here's a hug for Soni :hug:

What the heck! Here's a hug for everybody!!! :grouphug:

Us3
08-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Good job!

Ok, here's a hug for Soni :hug:

What the heck! Here's a hug for everybody!!! :grouphug:

It's FRIDAY! Ami is happy today! :cutie:

tellnotails
08-24-2008, 09:57 PM
It seems to work for others on the board...I guess it is just a trend...popcorn::

I have'nt seen him.......or her lately.:thumbsup2

TheFlame
08-25-2008, 12:46 PM
I have'nt seen him.......or her lately.:thumbsup2

Well, some of us have a life, family, job and........ vacation!!!:cool1:

As you can tell by my # of post and length of time here, I don't have near the time to devote here that alot of you do. Happy vacation!:goodvibes

Oh, and sorry to break up the party, I am just glad to be missed!;)

AuburnJen92
08-25-2008, 04:51 PM
Oh, and sorry to break up the party, I am just glad to be missed!;)

It's not like you were like sittin' on your bum or anything! We know you were busy. Don't sweat it.

TheFlame
08-25-2008, 05:28 PM
I AM sitting on my bum! :thumbsup2 It is getting wider by the minute!:scared1:

Jen-I hope you got through the storms okay!:)

AuburnJen92
08-25-2008, 10:58 PM
Jen-I hope you got through the storms okay!:)

We did just fine. Most of the county is underwater, but I did my homework before we bought this house. (Thank the good Lord) Thanks for askin'!

Colson39
09-02-2008, 02:08 PM
I haven't gone anywhere, this place just isn't my cup of tea anymore. I still browse from time to time though (and no I am not Jugman, jeesh, come on...lol).

I leave all the fighting and arguing to you guys now....lol, I see that they just replaced me with other targets...heh

P.S. I don't alias, unlike quite a few others around here ;)

ntsammy5
09-02-2008, 02:17 PM
That's because I'M jugman!

PolynesianPixie
09-02-2008, 02:19 PM
BeerJugman!:rotfl2:

auntie
09-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Al..so that's your "maiden" name! :laughing:

Colson39
09-02-2008, 02:22 PM
Beer Jug Al

Sounds like a new addition to the Country Bear Jamboree

BRDof3
09-02-2008, 02:22 PM
Either a maiden name or his secondary hobby (after the beer!). :lmao:

ntsammy5
09-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Beer Jug Al

Sounds like a new addition to the Country Bear Jamboree

I LIKE that!

PolynesianPixie
09-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Hey Rob......

I'm kind of confused about your siggy....forgive me for being slow......are you talking about getting a horse high?

Colson39
09-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Hey Rob......

I'm kind of confused about your siggy....forgive me for being slow......are you talking about getting a horse high?

I think he is using big words to simply say

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink"

I have to admit, I like it ;)

BRDof3
09-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Hey Rob......

I wondered if anyone even noticed. I had a similar tag line at the end of my email at work, until they made everyone have the same format and confidentiality disclaimers. Now we can't customize them at all.

Keep looking at it, and it will come to you. Or you could use a thesaurus, which is how I came up with some of it. :confused:

BRDof3
09-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Dang, he went and translated it while I was posting the response! :)

Colson39
09-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Looks like I let the feline liberate herself from her meager trapppings

;)

PolynesianPixie
09-02-2008, 02:38 PM
ok...yeah. I feel like a dufus now. I knew what all the words meant......but.....for some reason the H2O was throwing me.....witty

BRDof3
09-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Looks like I let the feline liberate herself from her meager trapppings

;)

Yet you avoided insertion of the pedal digits into the oral cavity!

PolynesianPixie
09-02-2008, 02:42 PM
Yet you avoided insertion of the pedal digits into the oral cavity!

I do that often

Colson39
09-02-2008, 02:45 PM
Some people do it for fun :confused3

BRDof3
09-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Some people do it for fun :confused3

The mind spins with replies, but not sure which one to use. Have to think on that one a bit... :lmao:

Colson39
09-02-2008, 03:05 PM
The mind spins with replies, but not sure which one to use. Have to think on that one a bit... :lmao:

lol, I actually literally meant "some people put feet in their mouth for fun"...:lmao:

Too bad you weren't around more back in the old days, this would have been fun :thumbsup2

bradisgoofy
09-03-2008, 05:33 AM
I've been avoiding this topic because I was afraid I would be disappointed in the responses, but I wasn't. And I must say, this area of the DISboards continues to live up to its reputation, the OP's original topic was hijacked and taken :offtopic: . :rotfl: Keep up the good work.