PDA

View Full Version : IF I want to do a character breakfast....

LauraLap
08-17-2008, 03:50 PM
.....on the morning of the cruise, what do I do with my luggage?

I am staying at POFQ and thinking of going to Ohana's for breakfast the morning of the cruise. I take it that it will be nearly impossible to get aroudnvia Disney buses with our luggage. So, I guess we will need to cab it, right? What would we do with our luggage at the breakfast?

Has anyone else ever tried this?

MichelleB
08-17-2008, 03:59 PM
My economic side (or cheap as my DH calls it) says to not do a character meal the day you leave for the cruise because you'll already have a character meal on the cruise which is already included in your cruise price.

However, if you really want to and are taking disney transportation to the cruise, you'll be picked up at the resort you're staying at which would be POFQ so leave your luggage there with the bellhop/concierge and take a cab to Poly. Then you'll cab back. I personally would not rely on the buses to go to/from the breakfast due to timing.

mikiclements
08-17-2008, 06:27 PM
I believe that guest services at the polynesian resort will hold your luggage for you. It's a small favor and they are all about PR.

MichelleB...I don't remember a character breakfast on the cruise. Did I miss something? Where was it and what night was it available?
Thanks.

MichelleB
08-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Unless they've changed something, there is usually a character breakfast on the cruise. I guess I should clarify...we've only been on the 7 day Magic.

Donald_Quackers
08-17-2008, 08:02 PM
There are character breakfast on the 7-day and longer cruises. Not on the 3- and 4-day cruises. That's according to Passporter.

MichelleB
08-17-2008, 08:04 PM
I'm sure the Poly would hold their luggage, but last I'd heard you could not pick a pick-up location and had to get transportation from the resort you stay at. This may have changed so might want to verify this first. I'd hate to see you waiting on a bus at the Poly to take you to the cruise to find they were at POFQ to get you and you missed it.

MichelleB
08-17-2008, 08:05 PM
Thanks DonaldQuackers! I don't know if OP is taking 3, 4, or 7 day cruise. If taking 7 day....you'll have a character breakfast!

MichelleB
08-17-2008, 08:06 PM
Just saw in her upcoming trips, she'll be on a 7 day Magic cruise so she should have a character breakfast on the cruise! Enjoy your trip!!!

tink,too
08-18-2008, 08:09 AM
We used DCL transportation from POFQ to the port this past May and we were told to leave our luggage in our room to be collected some time after 8am. Sure enough at 8.05am, our cases were collected and magically appeared in our stateroom later that day. :goodvibes

BTW - You will not be allowed to take your luggage on WDW buses, so if you want to take it with you, you will have to take a cab. ;)

karibritt01
08-18-2008, 08:24 AM
I personally would not rely on the buses to go to/from the breakfast due to timing.

We have always used buses for everything at WDW, even though we drive to Florida. My DH hates having to drive around WDW, and likes to just sit on the bus and relax. When staying at CSR, we planned 45 min travel time to get to a character breakfast at Grand Floridian and Chef Mickey. Both times we made it with time to spare. Bus to MK, then resort monorail or water launch. Usually took 30-35 minutes.

As for your luggage, if it isn't picked up before you leave for breakfast... just leave it in your room and don't check out. Go to breakfast. Go back to your room. Freshen up and relax in your room. Check out. Enjoy the resort until time to meet the bus. Aren't they usually around noon-1 for the resorts, anyway?

MichelleB
08-18-2008, 09:20 AM
I guess bus transportation depends on time of year and how crowded WDW is. We were there in June with my scout troop and had to go from All Stars to HS. We got in line for a bus 50 minutes before we were to be there and had to get a cab at 5 minutes prior to needing to be there. The bus never came. We did the same thing from Chef Mickey back to All Stars the night before although we could have waited that out but after 45 minutes of waiting for a bus to arrive we opted to get the girls back to the resort since we had an early morning the next day and took a cab.

That being said, that's the only time I've used a cab at WDW in 9 years and probably 15 trips. Just allow extra time and the buses should be ok but if it's going to be tight, then my comfort level says take the cab.

tink,too
08-18-2008, 09:28 AM
Enjoy the resort until time to meet the bus. Aren't they usually around noon-1 for the resorts, anyway?

We had to meet the DCL Rep. in the lobby of POFQ at about 12.00pm, I think, and we had a short wait for our DCL bus. :)

karibritt01
08-18-2008, 11:33 AM
I guess bus transportation depends on time of year and how crowded WDW is. We were there in June with my scout troop and had to go from All Stars to HS. We got in line for a bus 50 minutes before we were to be there and had to get a cab at 5 minutes prior to needing to be there. The bus never came. We did the same thing from Chef Mickey back to All Stars the night before although we could have waited that out but after 45 minutes of waiting for a bus to arrive we opted to get the girls back to the resort since we had an early morning the next day and took a cab.

That being said, that's the only time I've used a cab at WDW in 9 years and probably 15 trips. Just allow extra time and the buses should be ok but if it's going to be tight, then my comfort level says take the cab.

Maybe because you were at All Stars was the problem? I have heard many complaints about the buses there. We have stayed at CSR twice in late June, and never had any problems. FYI... if you wait a reasonable amount of time without a bus, ask any bus driver to radio dispatch and send a bus out. We did this a couple of times at DTD after waiting WAY long. (Actually, my only problem with the bus transportation.)

SO COOL you took girl scouts to WDW! I have a 1st year brownie troop this year (in NC) and we are planning our end-of-year trip to Tweetsie Railroad. I would love to try WDW or something big when they get to juniors.

LAWalz23
08-18-2008, 07:08 PM
The character breakfast on the cruise is not the same as the ones at the resorts. On the cruise the characters do not circulate to the tables they only "dance" with the kids in the middle of the room.

MichelleB
08-18-2008, 07:53 PM
Taking the scout troop was a LOT of work. They earned every dime of the trip themselves and it took us 3 years. Worth it, though!

When we went on the cruise (admittedly it's been 2 years though), the characters circulated the dining room to each table. Has this changed???

Risnsun
08-18-2008, 09:02 PM
I was also planning on doing the same thing. We have ressies for Ohana and are staying at POFQ. Will we have enough time to have our breakfast and then get on the bus? My ressies are for 8am I believe.

Risnsun
08-18-2008, 09:04 PM
sorry..it double replied

disneyfaninaz
08-18-2008, 09:13 PM
To the OP, you don't say how you're getting to the cruise ship. If you are taking DCL transportation from POFQ, you don't need to worry about your luggage as DCL will pick it up from your room.

I would arrange for a late checkout (12:00 PM), go to breakfast at Poly, get back to the POFQ before noon, get your carry on bags, check out of POFQ, check in with the DCL desk, board the bus and have a great time.

If you want to carry your carry-on luggage with you to Poly, you might be able to arrange a DCL bus pick up at Poly instead of going back to POFQ.

If you are arranging for a private car, have them pick you up at the Poly, take you back to POFQ to get your luggage and then head to the port.

karibritt01
08-18-2008, 10:57 PM
I was also planning on doing the same thing. We have ressies for Ohana and are staying at POFQ. Will we have enough time to have our breakfast and then get on the bus? My ressies are for 8am I believe.

You should have plenty of time. Breakfast will only take about an hour.

According to recent reports, the character breakfast has returned to the old format, and the characters do visit each table.