PDA

View Full Version : Motion sickness medication for toddlers?

ryrysmom14
08-17-2008, 11:07 AM
I called my ped's office on Friday and they said to get Bonine liquid for my 3 1/2 yr old. I just searched local pharmacies and the internet and I think there may have been one at one time, but no longer. What does everyone use on their young kids? Bonine kids is only age 6 and up.

Thanks!
Lorraine

Olga
08-17-2008, 11:16 AM
We are also traveling with a 3 1/2 year old. Ginger snap cookies, preferably the triple ginger ones from Trader Joes were advised by the pediatrician, although she said kids that young may not feel motion sickness.

larchmont
08-17-2008, 11:54 AM
I think it is very unusual for a toddler to get motion sickness. My 5 year old is just now developing issues with long car rides. He was fine on last year's cruise and I'm hoping will be okay next January when we go again.

ryrysmom14
08-18-2008, 08:02 AM
I picked up some of the Trader Joe's ginger snaps- I think that is a great idea! My daughter recently got carsick, so I would rather have something avl then be in the middle of the ocean with no options. My 8 yr old is able to take the Bonine, but not my 3 yr old. Anyone else have any medications that little ones are allowed to take or anything that worked for them?

Thanks!

Jaime
08-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Hi Lorraine...I recommend:

1. Seabands but put them on at port before you get on the boat. They look similar to sweatbands and you can get them in bright colors for kids...

2. Bring gingerale onboard with you...it is not offered at the drink station. Both of my dd's found having a glass when they first woke up helped settle them.

3. There is a product offered in the US one of my cruisemates gave me called motionez?? you put it behind your ear... it seemed to work well too...

I was not concern about my children getting seasick as both of them have been whale watching on small boats in rougher water before without feeling anything. I did take seabraclets with us on the cruise but had them in the luggage...do I ever wish I put them on them before we boarded. My dd's were 3 & 5 when we went on our cruise and my dd 3 got really sick! I had to take her to the med centre onboard and they really recommend the seabraclets especially for small children. We did put them on her but by that point she was already sick! I would avoid anything heavy for breakfast on the first morning...especially orange juice...

Once seasick...fresh air...green apples(Goofy's) and ginger ale worked well.

I am sure you will be fine - Have a great trip...even though both of our girls got sick they both want to go again.

disneyfaninaz
08-18-2008, 11:57 AM
My pediatrician recommended Bendryl. Bonine is nothing more than an antihistamine, so benedryl should work just as well on a toddler.

Jaime
08-18-2008, 12:10 PM
My pediatrician recommended Bendryl. Bonine is nothing more than an antihistamine, so benedryl should work just as well on a toddler.

My dd takes bendryl occasionally for allergies but it makes her very sleepy...

eva
08-18-2008, 12:21 PM
For those of you using ginger ale for motion sickness, beware that the high content of sugar in ginger ale can cause stomach issues even diarrhea.

Amlee
08-18-2008, 01:50 PM
I may be a little late in this, but herbforkids.com has a liquid minty ginger for kids. We gave this to my 3 and 4 year old niece and nephew for our cruise. GNC can also order it for you.

gardengirlco
08-18-2008, 04:03 PM

My pediatrician recommended this as well for my 3 yo. Hopefully we won't have any issues when we sail though, but we'll be packing a little bit of everything remedy-wise just in case.

I've also heard ginger candy can help, although I picked up some ginger candy chews at our local health food store and tried one and I found it be on the spicy side for me so I don't think there's any way my kids would go for it. Maybe it was just the brand I got and others are more mild. :confused3

SaratogaShan
08-18-2008, 07:03 PM
Try Zyrtec. It is also an antihistamine, it is available over the counter in liquid form, and it is approved for use in small children. It shouldn't cause drowsiness like the Benadryl.

Good luck!
Shan