PDA

View Full Version : Anyone a little worried?

DisneyHobbit
08-17-2008, 10:04 AM
Okay, I know I'm not sailing until the 31st this month but Hurricane Fay got me concerned.:guilty: I just want to be able to get out there, we're flying the day before so I'm pretty sure we'll be ok. I don't care if we never leave PC just as long as we are on the ship!:laughing: I guess I just wanted to see if anyone else was a little worried too.

Thanks Everyone!!:flower3:

nenner1
08-17-2008, 10:27 AM
I wouldn't be too worried!

I live here..Fay is heading right for us.

PC may very well not even have inclement weather, the track has Fay skirting the west coast. Of course that is only an estimated track..but thruthfully I've lived here all my life and the NWC has never been far off with their predictions.

Plus she is only set to be a TS or Cat.1 minimal hurricane at landfall..the damage should be slight.

Tigger98
08-17-2008, 11:37 AM
I also sail out on 8/31, but am not worried. However, I have a sister who sailed out of Miami yesterday and am a little concerned for her. I do know that their ports of call have changed.

TiggerzFan
08-17-2008, 12:05 PM
We live here, too, on the northeast border of Orlando. Right now we're not directly in Fay's projected path, but one slight turn to the east and we will be.
I have been wondering how today's Wonder cruise will fare. This storm seems to be heading up the west coast so the Wonder should be just fine and hopefully Key West will be okay.
Here's hoping everyone's cruises are unaffected. We sailed in 2004, right in between Hurricanes Ivan and Frances, and couldn't go to Castaway because of storm damage there, but that was a minor inconvenience (and all the more reason to rebook!) considering all the destruction there here was on land.

Happy and safe sailing everyone!:boat:

DVC-Don
08-17-2008, 12:22 PM
I'm concerned also. We are supposed to be flying into Orlando next Wednesday for the Thursday (8/21) departure of the Wonder. If we can not get into Orlando then we'll have to cancel the cruise part of our vacation. We have trip insurance.

becca-becca
08-19-2008, 09:34 AM
We leave on 09-03 for one night at WDW. We booked this cruise using Developer Points and somehow I missed the deadline to buy the DVC point insurance. DUMB ME!! Anyway, we have no insurance at all. We are flying Southwest, so I am not worried about that, however, I am a little concerned about the cruise portion. What happens if you are at DW and they change the port? We are scheduled to use DCL to transport us to port from AKL. Will they just take us toa new port?

I know Fay will be gone, but I am worried about any storms yet to come. If cruise is cancelled or we can't get to it, we just lose our points, correct?

ols386
08-19-2008, 10:41 AM
I wouldn't be worried if your cruise is leaving August 31. I would think Fay will be long gone by then. And I don't think there are any other tropical storms or hurricanes nearby (unless they identify one soon). I think you should be fine.

LCTsMom
08-19-2008, 10:43 AM
I'm living through Fay right now. Thankfully, she never progressed to a hurricane. We're getting some rain and a little wind, that's about it. School started yesterday and today they're off. Sending pixie dust that she's the last storm this season! :goodvibes

DisneyHobbit
08-19-2008, 11:30 AM
Thanks everyone!!:hug: My nerves are a little at ease now, I did check the weather today and it looks like there might be clear skys coming soon. It also looked like anyone leaving sooner is going to be safe and able to enjoy every minute.:goodvibes I just can't wait to go!!!!:yay:

DVC-Don
08-19-2008, 12:25 PM
Changed our flight to early morning on the 21st so we should be all set, provided Fay does not stall over the port.

Gonecruisin
08-19-2008, 01:55 PM
Hi DVC

I am leaving early Thurs morning, too for the 8/21 Wonder.
My flight leaves Providence, RI at 6:35 am.

Do you really think there's no cause to worry?

I noticed that SW cancelled the rest of their flights going from Prov to MCO today. scary.

skibum
08-19-2008, 02:01 PM
If they switch ports, they will have transportation set up for you. Our cruise a few years ago left from Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale) instead of Port Canaveral, due to Hurricane Ophelia. The DCL busses from MCO just brought us down to Fort Lauderdale. We did leave late that day, as the extra bus ride added time to the bus travel, and they had to find evrybody in Orlando and Port Canaveral who were on DCL.
First night was a little rough (16 foot swells), but it got better and we made Castaway Cay. It was a good trip with lots of memories.
Remember to go with the flow!

Kay1
08-19-2008, 02:08 PM
We live on the other coast but s-i-l lives in Satellite Beach and I know things are rough and getting rougher over there. If Fay emerges into the Atlantic in that area on Wednesday - as many models suggest - and then stalls under the ridge of high pressure, what happens? I don't see how boats could come or go at all.

:confused3

karibritt01
08-19-2008, 03:04 PM
And I don't think there are any other tropical storms or hurricanes nearby (unless they identify one soon). I think you should be fine.

There is a cell identified with medium probability of strengthening. Not much, but should be watched. www.crownweather.com/atlantic.html

If Fay emerges into the Atlantic in that area on Wednesday - as many models suggest - and then stalls under the ridge of high pressure, what happens? I don't see how boats could come or go at all.

:confused3

I know I read a cruise a couple years ago of a cruise that spent a few extra days in the gulf waiting out a hurricane. If only it could be me... :rolleyes:

DVC-Don
08-19-2008, 04:02 PM
Hi DVC

I am leaving early Thurs morning, too for the 8/21 Wonder.
My flight leaves Providence, RI at 6:35 am.

Do you really think there's no cause to worry?

I noticed that SW cancelled the rest of their flights going from Prov to MCO today. scary.

I noticed the afternoon flights out of Albany to Orlando got canceled today. The morning ones made it just fine.

Just have to keep an eye on it tomorrow.

Selket
08-19-2008, 04:06 PM
I think this site is best for hurricane info for Florida: http://flhurricane.com/

There is discussion that Fay might come out on the Atlantic side of FL, restrengthen as a hurricane this time, and come back in around Jacksonville.

I guess if I was heading down that way in the next few days or out on the Wonder I would definitely keep an eye on it. If it really did do that, I don't see how the ship could get in and out of port on Thursday but I'm no hurricane expert!

TiggerzFan
08-19-2008, 04:51 PM
I agree, Carol, and am seeing the same latest developments that you are. My mom lives just south of Jacksonville and at this point is planning for hurricane status. I would think it would be a safe bet that DCL will need to redirect down south this week.

Safe travels to all the DISers heading our way this week. I think the biggest challenge is going to be getting into MCO. From there, DCL will get the cruisers where they need to be.