PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone not "do" the ports?

LauraLap
08-16-2008, 06:22 AM
Since DH and I have already been to Grand Cayman and Cozumel, we were just thinking of staying on the ship for those ports since we can't do much with a 3 and 4 year old. That means we would only get off for Key West and Castaway Cay.

Has anyone ever done this? Does this seem like a waste of a cruise?

MaryKLady
08-16-2008, 06:39 AM
DD5 and I won't either. DH scuba dives, so we'll be alone and I won't take her off the ship especially in another country without him...just paranoid I guess. Plus she's too small to do excursions or enjoy jewlery shopping :goodvibes We'll stay on the ship with you:goodvibes

KYMickey
08-16-2008, 06:44 AM
Whether it's a waste are not depends on why you're going on a cruise. If it's for rest and relaxation then staying on the ship is probably better than taking in the ports. If the reason you're going a cruise is to see new places than if you don't take in ports you won't have a good cruise.

On every cruise we've ever taken we always stay on board for at least one port (sometimes more) depending on our mood and how we're feeling. Very seldom do we prebook shore excursion.

Every one cruises for a different reason so only you can decide what's right for you. Don't let others influence what you want to do.

cmom
08-16-2008, 06:49 AM
Im also Cruising the Magic in Nov and plan on staying on the ship this time. We were just in GC and Cozumel last Dec. My parents who also will be going with us have been to these two ports every year for the past 5 years. They have decided to stay on the ship to. Im excited to see what is offered on board. I know other cruise lines I would have been bored but im hoping Disney will have lots of great stuff to do.

tink,too
08-16-2008, 07:53 AM
We went on the WB Repo in May and got off at every port because this was our first cruise ever and the first time visiting the ports offered. This is why we chose to do the cruise we took - to see new places. :goodvibes

However, one of our table mates had cruised DCL many times before and had done one of the Repo cruises in 2005 so she stayed onboard for most (if not all) of the ports. For her, this was the best way to enjoy her cruise and her time onboard the ship. :cloud9:

She told us that there was enough activities to choose from in port and that the pools were pretty deserted so she just hung out on deck and had some excellent peace and quiet! ;)

mjy
08-16-2008, 07:55 AM
Port days are actually a great opportunity to enjoy the ship as there are significantly less people on board.

Staying on board when the ship is at port can be a wonderful experience.

There are some ports that I stay on board. I may get off briefly to duck into a shop and then come back on board. Or, I just may stay on board and enjoy the pool area, take in a movie, roam the ship, whatever.

Certainly not a waste of the cruise. As someone already pointed out, the cruise is what you make of it.

So, do what you want, and enjoy!

JeannieH
08-16-2008, 08:33 AM
Im always amazed that people choose not to get off the ship in ports: Yes, the pools are empty and there are plenty of chairs - but so there would be at most Disney hotels in Orlando. Even if you only get off the ship for an hour (which we did in Grand Cayman twice) there is that excitement of being "abroad".

Yes, with very small children it is tough to keep them occupied in some ports, especially if you dont wish or cant afford to get off the ship and take a trip. But at least photos can be taken of them in "foreign parts"!

We cruised once with a family of 5 who shared our table at dinner: they NEVER got off the ship all week! Not even at CC! Said they couldnt afford it. But, they could have saved approx 50% and gone to DisneyWorld for 2weeks!

Cruising is wonderful, but if you plan to sit by a pool 24/7 - then go elsewhere and save a fortune. Personally, I wouldnt cruise under those circumstances. However, we make the very most of our vacation: besides, we have saved up our hard earned $s and want to do and see EVERYTHING!:cool1:

mjy
08-16-2008, 08:56 AM
Cruising is wonderful, but if you plan to sit by a pool 24/7 - then go elsewhere and save a fortune. Personally, I wouldnt cruise under those circumstances. However, we make the very most of our vacation: besides, we have saved up our hard earned $s and want to do and see EVERYTHING!:cool1:
But that's you. That may not be everyone else.

As to the "affording" part, it may not be cheaper to go to WDW rather than staying on board. When you factor in the cost of room, meals, entertainment and all that's included in the cruise price, you're pretty close, if not cheaper, being on board.

But, again, and most importantly, to each his/her own. If someone wants to cruise but not hit ports, that may not be what we would do, but who are we to tell them they are doing it wrong?

inkkognito
08-16-2008, 09:15 AM
It's definitely not a waste of a cruise! We cruise Disney so much that we are familiar with most of the ports. We almost never get off in Nassau now and occasionally skip the Western ports. If you don't disembark, you get to enjoy a lovely, uncrowded ship...plenty to do! You won't feel like you're missing anything.

cruisinmama06
08-16-2008, 09:42 AM
It's NOT a waste. Everyone expects a different experience for their vacation. I have stayed on the ship (Freedom of the Seas in Montego Bay, Jamaica) because when we looked at the excursions that we wanted to do (kids weren't the minimum ages to do them) and then we looked at the excursions we COULD do (Sunset Beach Resort at Mo Bay)...I couldn't come up with a reason to step off the ship and PAY for a resort when I was sitting on the BEST floating resort in the world. :banana:

So we stayed on the ship. And I took a nap in the adult solarium and it was truly one of my favorite parts of that cruise. In my real life, I don't get to take a nap. :eek: It's unheard of around here...lol.

I know what it's like to travel with YOUNG kids. You do what you have to do ;)

There is one place in Cozumel I want to check out in February. So I will be getting off the ship.

Dee72
08-16-2008, 09:49 AM
It is not a waste. Cruises for me are about the cruise itself, not about the destinations. I would probably be fine without any ports, to be honest, especially on a short cruise.

If I wanted to visit the Bahamas and really explore it, I would book a trip to the Bahamas, not just visit for a few hours during a cruise.

We did hop off in Nassau to look for a souvenir this year, but that was it. Don't worry if you decide to stay on the ship. It's perfectly understandable.

Mickeyhugger
08-16-2008, 10:18 AM
We cruised once with a family of 5 who shared our table at dinner: they NEVER got off the ship all week! Not even at CC! Said they couldnt afford it.

Wow! Now, I do think not getting off at Castaway Cay IS a waste. I would think with a family of 5, SOMEONE would want to get off. Besides, Castaway Cay is free! (Unless one does excursions.) To each his own though.

JNorris
08-16-2008, 10:53 AM
We generally do get off at ports, simply because we love beaches and swimming, and we don't get in the pools on the ship (way to small and crowded). The only port where I have stayed on the ship is Nassau. We cruise in a couple of weeks, and we are getting off the ship in Nassau, to go to the beach! We have done Atlantis before, and are going to Cable Beach this time. If we ever cruise to Nassau again, I would probably stay on the ship.

ETA: And you could not KEEP me on the ship on CC day! Love that beach! I just wish the beach was a little bigger, and not so crowded.

swilphil
08-16-2008, 11:07 AM
We compromise. We get off for a few hours but come back for lunch and then enjoy the ship.

cruisinmama06
08-16-2008, 11:23 AM
We generally do get off at ports, simply because we love beaches and swimming, and we don't get in the pools on the ship (way to small and crowded).

The perfect reason to do a non-DCL ship...lol. {ducking for cover} :lmao:

Mozart
08-16-2008, 12:04 PM
I would have to agree with those posters that it definitely is whatever you would want to make of it. From now on, at Nassau, we'll jump off the ship to visit a few specific stores and then head right back. That port is just not very interesting to us, but like any place on earth, my wife has found a few places she likes to check in on there. We're off the ship for an hour, maybe two in Nassau, then head back for lunch and just goof off on the ship. Maybe take advantage of a spa special in the afternoon.

The perfect reason to do a non-DCL ship...lol. {ducking for cover} :lmao:

Just don't say Carnival. :rotfl2:

IzzysMom
08-16-2008, 12:17 PM
Sometimes we stay on, sometimes we get off. I enjoy being on the boat when others are in port. Less crowded - I have a great picture of DD and DH in the Goofy pool all by themselves - that doesn't happen except on port days!!

I do a cruise because it is a relaxing vacation for me - WDW is not a relaxing vacation - it's a lot of work - I'm not complaining because I love WDW but it is not relaxing - a cruise is relaxing. I could book a trip to a resort but it's not the same as a Disney Cruise and I don't think that it would be any cheaper to stay at an all-inclusive resort - that provides the level of entertainment that Disney does!

Karn

Lisabell
08-16-2008, 05:10 PM
I've only cruised on 2 different lines -- Disney and Holland America. For us, Disney cruises are about the cruise ship experience itself and would feel great about staying on the ship if the port didn't interest us or we'd been there before.

On Holland America it was all about the ports. We went to interesting places that Disney doesn't visit (Belize & Guatemala) and, on top of that, we were among the YOUNGEST people on the ship and the entertainment wasn't even comparable to Disney so getting off the ship was a big part of the fun.

larchmont
08-16-2008, 06:12 PM
I found that I like two things about cruises - the all inclusive floating hotel aspect (even a movie theater!) and sampling different destinations in the process. I found on the Eastern cruise I would love to return and do a land vacation on St. Maarten. Doing the Western cruise to see what we like best that way. Cruises give so much flexibility to families - some can go back to the ship (or stay) if they want to. I am a beach junkie and always wanting to sample a new place to swim. And no beach is the same place twice either.

mommasita
08-16-2008, 09:12 PM
We have done several Eastern cruises, so we have seen those ports repeatedly. We never book excursions ahead of time, we go with the flow of the day. If we are all up and feeling the need, we take a taxi to the beach and relax. We have also been known to stay onboard and enjoy the emptiness of the pools, lunch areas, etc..

My advice is to play it by ear. See how you feel about it the day of. There is absolutely nothing wrong with not getting off at every port.

That to us is the beauty of cruising, there are SO many options. And none are wrong.:goodvibes

kmaclou
08-16-2008, 10:06 PM
We've not gotten off of the ship on a few occasions and it was sooo nice. The pools aren't crowded, you can go grab a movie...we love it. :)

flexsmom
08-16-2008, 10:15 PM
My DH has already told me the next time we do a 7 night the end of next year, he's only getting off at CC. He just enjoys the relaxation time, the ability for us to do stuff together or apart as a family, and to take advantage of all of the ship's amenities. That's why we cruise, as opposed to going to the ports since we've also been there before. If we were to do a European cruise, it would probably be different. I guess itinerary has a lot to do with it for us.

GoofyFD
08-16-2008, 10:46 PM
We forgot our DD Passport and decided not to get off. We still had a great time on the ship.

cruisinmama06
08-17-2008, 08:08 AM
Just don't say Carnival. :rotfl2:

Oh you won't see ME say Carnival. Been there, done that, not planning on going back.

disneyholic family
08-17-2008, 08:13 AM
we've only been on the wonder, but on our second cruise we stayed on the ship rather than 'do' nassau...

KYMickey
08-17-2008, 09:59 AM
we've only been on the wonder, but on our second cruise we stayed on the ship rather than 'do' nassau...

We definitely have to agree on this one, the ship is 10 times better than visiting Nassau! Much more relaxing and you don't have to worry about being chased around by locals trying to sell you something.

DisneyDmbNut
08-17-2008, 06:05 PM
We just did a B2B and I didn't get off the ship on either Nassau day...we enjoyed the quiet pool and the empty rainforest

deebs
08-17-2008, 06:21 PM
there is nothing like having the pools and ship to yourself. you'll have a great time staying aboard

aan1701
08-17-2008, 06:35 PM
I am one of those people now. I was also on the Westbound Repo. and I onlygot off really quick at CC to eat and get a Knonk Cooler. And in Aruba to go to a local bar for a hour or so. I loved not geting off the ship for 15 days. I reached such a level of relaxation that I am still relaxed almost 3 months later. The next cruise I most likely will spend more time off the ship but the second cruise next year I may not get off till we get back to Port Canaveral.

sahd2one
08-18-2008, 02:15 PM
On our last cruise, we didn't get off the ship except when it was time to disembark.