PDA

View Full Version : Question about cruise insurance....

TChrist05
08-15-2008, 08:55 PM
Hello fellow cruisers.....I wonder if you guys can help me out...My DW and I are scheduled to cruise on the back to back cruise on 9/14....the 4 day and the 3 day.....we never normally take insurance....however, my mom has been battling liver cancer....and today the doctor told us that we are looking at 2 to 3 months....the tumor has grown and there is no options....we do not have insurance on these 2 cruises....so....my question is this...can you put insurance on the reservation after you have paid the final payment? I know that I can call DCL tomorrow but I am sure one of the experts out there knows the answer.....
Thanks!
Tom

Muushka
08-15-2008, 10:17 PM
I am so sorry about your mom :hug:, it must be a very difficult time for you.

As far as the insurance, my experience with buying it last minute was that it would not cover pre-existing conditions. I am not sure about your situation, but I'll bet someone will come along with an answer. This was more of a bump and condolences.:hug:

msmayor
08-16-2008, 07:34 AM
Tom, as the previous poster said...it will be difficult to find an insurer that will cover pre-existing conditions once you've made final payment and are this close to the cruise. Especially now that the pre-existing condition has significantly changed.

Check out ***************** and consider calling individual companies that offer trip insurance to see if there is a premium level you can pay that will cover you. If you do find a company willing to cover, expect to pay a significant premium at this late time.

Good luck to you.

TChrist05
08-16-2008, 08:33 AM
Called DCL...you can still get insurance but must do so directly with Access America, the company Disney uses.....they don't know anything about premiums...just have to contact them and see....but you probably are right...the premiums might be rather steep at this point....we have sailed on 15 Disney cruises and never bought the insurance....so I guess we have been very lucky.....gotta hope for a miracle at this point....hopefully Tinkerbell has some pixie dust left and mom makes a strong recovery....which is really the issue....their will be plenty of cruises....but only 1 mom.....
Thanks all....
Tom

NancyIL
08-16-2008, 08:33 AM
Even if you bought your insurance in time to normally get pre-existing conditions covered, there are still exceptions - and a terminal illness is one of them. I'm sorry.