PDA

View Full Version : Where would you live?...

seabee
08-15-2008, 08:10 PM
Jim and I have been talking about wanting to move.We'd like to move south. The weather would be much better on Jim, more things in the area then what we have here, and from what I can see, homes cost less. Plus our school system here leaves a lot to be desired. We send the kids to private school because the only other option would be homeschooling, the public elementary school is that bad. Our property taxes just went up $1000! It is ridiculous. So as I was checking places on the internet it got me thinking. Where is the one place you would want to move? Or would you stay right where you are? Why?

RvUsa
08-15-2008, 08:16 PM
Alaska, I love cold and snow, it doesn't love me or my arthritis, but I love it anyway! But I kinda like it here, so I think we will stay for a while. LOL

Born 2 Fish
08-15-2008, 08:20 PM
The CARIBBEAN
Yeah man, thats what I'm talk'n bout !
:cool1:

seabee
08-15-2008, 08:21 PM
Think of the fish you could catch there!

Born 2 Fish
08-15-2008, 08:27 PM
Yeah man, That would be the life !

Tennessee is a nice place to live,,some of the public schools are pretty good, we live very close to a private school that is ranked high in the nation,but it still gets chilly here in winter, altho the winters don't last long.

clkelley
08-15-2008, 08:41 PM
As far as quality of life. Where we live in North Alabama is great!!

Housing is reasonable, (and not losing value either) property taxes are cheap, TVA utilities are cheap. Weather is pretty good. We do get a couple of weeks of pretty cold, but other than that it's great.

The schools are pretty good depending on what part of town you live in.

For an example, our house is 1500 SF in a subdivision, worth about $150K, 3BR, 2BA all brick, double car garage, 1/4 acre lot, 5 minutes from shopping, good jobs, property taxes of less than $1000, utilities run about $250 a month. (Hopefully will go down as soon as we get our new windows installed.)

seabee
08-15-2008, 08:41 PM
That would be great. Some place we wouldn't have to heat 3/4 of the year! Woo Hoo! Plus even a milder winter would be better for Jim. He has a hard time going out here with the slush and snow, and COOOOLD. His joints stiffin right up in the winter.

seabee
08-15-2008, 08:45 PM
As far as quality of life. Where we live in North Alabama is great!!

Housing is reasonable, (and not losing value either) property taxes are cheap, TVA utilities are cheap. Weather is pretty good. We do get a couple of weeks of pretty cold, but other than that it's great.

The schools are pretty good depending on what part of town you live in.

For an example, our house is 1500 SF in a subdivision, worth about $150K, 3BR, 2BA all brick, double car garage, 1/4 acre lot, 5 minutes from shopping, good jobs, property taxes of less than $1000, utilities run about $250 a month. (Hopefully will go down as soon as we get our new windows installed.)

Just our electric bill was $280 this month!!!

clkelley
08-15-2008, 08:50 PM

Most of that was electric. We don't have gas. Water averages about $30 and garbage is $17.50. We're on a septic, so no sewer, but usually they just double the water bill if you are on sewer.

ram101
08-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Our property taxes just went up $1000! It is ridiculous.

Does that include school taxes?? We will pay between $4200-4500 this year in combined taxes for our home. Our property taxes from the school dist alone are $3400. Schools are great though!!

Shannone1
08-15-2008, 09:05 PM
We've always loved Michigan. Average summer temp is not too hot where we live...82 Average winter temp isn't too cold...41. Each of the seasons last just about three months so just when you get tired of one season, another one is just around the corner. We have more coastline than FL or CA without the hurricanes, mudslides, wildfires or HUGE bugs !! ;)

We can make snowmen and have snowball fights and then warm up around the fire in the winter. Sledding, skiing and snowmobiling are all fun winter sports. Have I mentioned how gorgeous it is with the snow among all the pine trees ?? And I can't imagine living somewhere where you couldn't have a white Christmas. Christmas Eve is magical when it is snowing.

In the spring we can see all the beautiful flowers come up and see everything come back to life. Animals come out from hibernation and nothing feels as good as the first time you can open all the windows and let the fresh breeze in.

Summer brings hot weather for boating/camping/hanging out at the lake/beach. There are so many lakes and beautiful state parks to visit. Lots of private campgrounds too. Traverse City, Ludington and Mackinaw Island are all wonderful and only a few hours away.

Fall is my favorite though. The leaves change colors, we go to the cider mill and pick apples and eat fresh donuts, wear sweatshirts and have bonfires in the backyard, watch football games with friends, carve pumpkins and have the leaves crunch under our feet while we are trick or treating in town among all the historical homes. It gets darker earlier and the house is cozy with candles burning and a fire in the fireplace.

I absolutely LOVE Michigan and I can't imagine living anywhere else :cloud9:

ntsammy5
08-15-2008, 09:39 PM
The kids love NC, but I think in western VA and WV are beautiful too.

auntie
08-15-2008, 09:47 PM

Sounds like our electric bill here on Long Island..then we add the gas bill. I know how difficult it can be in the cold weather when you're dealing with a wheel chair. My dad now has the motorized wheel chair..but even that's tough going with the snow. ...or slush, and basically crummy winters we have. The winter limits his mobility considerably. I never thought I'd consider moving to a warmer climate..but I would consider it if we could make a living elsewhere. There is THAT to consider. LOL!
I think I'd miss NOTHING of where I live now.(okay..pizza and bagels) Although I would miss upstate NY. I do love the mountains,rivers, pine trees, clear skies, and the stars..well, they're beautiful. I forget how beautiful a night sky can look until I see the Adirondack sky. That's where we have a seasonal campsite. A couple in a site near to us, lived there most of their lives in the area. About 4 years ago, they moved to Florida, and now they keep a seasonal cottage in the campground. Sort of the best of both worlds. He teaches, and they come back to NY about the end of May and he goes back to Fl. in August. His wife goes back to Florida in Sept. Needless to say they have family in the area also..so it's a nice compromise of living in two places. Best of both states if you ask me. I'd love to be able to do something like that.

auntie
08-15-2008, 09:51 PM
The kids love NC, but I think in western VA and WV are beautiful too.

Quite a few people from where I live,(Long Island) have made the move to NC in recent years. I seem to be hearing more and more of it.

poohbearwithme
08-15-2008, 09:53 PM
I love this area of Florida but Mobile, AL seems to be where everything is starting to happen. My biggest advice would be stay North of I-10 for better home owners insurance rates. I'm not just talking about Florida, the I-10 advice includes Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and the Texas Coast.

Disney Campers
08-15-2008, 10:17 PM
I lived in Michigan, Arizona and currently Florida, in Arizona I had the least amount of trouble with my allergies. We are in the Tampa Bay area and I like it, close to south and central Florida, year round camping and NO snow. I have to agree Shannon on the Michigan State parks, got some great memories of Dad taking us camping in Ludington, and all the other state parks around Michigan, but those winter were brutal.

seabee
08-16-2008, 12:35 AM
Does that include school taxes?? We will pay between $4200-4500 this year in combined taxes for our home. Our property taxes from the school dist alone are $3400. Schools are great though!!

Yup, we pay $4900. It went up $1000 this year. Somehow my house jumped $120,000 from last year, though nothing has changed on the property. That does include the school taxes, it stinks because we don't even use the school system, and it's not great.

seabee
08-16-2008, 12:42 AM
We've always loved Michigan. Average summer temp is not too hot where we live...82 Average winter temp isn't too cold...41. Each of the seasons last just about three months so just when you get tired of one season, another one is just around the corner. We have more coastline than FL or CA without the hurricanes, mudslides, wildfires or HUGE bugs !! ;)

We can make snowmen and have snowball fights and then warm up around the fire in the winter. Sledding, skiing and snowmobiling are all fun winter sports. Have I mentioned how gorgeous it is with the snow among all the pine trees ?? And I can't imagine living somewhere where you couldn't have a white Christmas. Christmas Eve is magical when it is snowing.

In the spring we can see all the beautiful flowers come up and see everything come back to life. Animals come out from hibernation and nothing feels as good as the first time you can open all the windows and let the fresh breeze in.

Summer brings hot weather for boating/camping/hanging out at the lake/beach. There are so many lakes and beautiful state parks to visit. Lots of private campgrounds too. Traverse City, Ludington and Mackinaw Island are all wonderful and only a few hours away.

Fall is my favorite though. The leaves change colors, we go to the cider mill and pick apples and eat fresh donuts, wear sweatshirts and have bonfires in the backyard, watch football games with friends, carve pumpkins and have the leaves crunch under our feet while we are trick or treating in town among all the historical homes. It gets darker earlier and the house is cozy with candles burning and a fire in the fireplace.

I absolutely LOVE Michigan and I can't imagine living anywhere else :cloud9:

Gees, now you made me not want to leave Maine, we have all that too. Except our winters are a lot colder, and longer.

Born 2 Fish
08-16-2008, 06:56 AM
I f ya'll are serious bout moving and have a list of possibilities that ya'll will visit to check out, and if Tennesse is on your list,,bring some lobster with you,,I'll provide the butter.:thumbsup2

des1954
08-16-2008, 08:35 AM
We have always loved the Tri-Corner area of NW Georgia - and acually were going to move there, twice. The first time --- I chickened out. The second time (just last fall/winter) our house didn't sell - but I was all packed and ready to go. It's probably a lot like where Frank and Denise live.

There are four seasons - all mild and moderate - the people in the area are actually friendly - the taxes are lower than where we are now as are the utilities. The scenery is spectacular!! The area we want to move to is the Ellijay/Blue Ridge/Blairsville region. The tri-corner states are Georgia/NC/Tenn. It's an hour north of Atlanta, and an hour south of Knoxville. I can't comment on schools because I don't have children - except my cats and I've "home schooled" them (LOL)!!

Even though I've lived in Florida for 35 years now (moved here when I was 19) I still long for a crisp, cool, fall day and a little dusting of snow now & then. I grew up in WNY, but really have no desire to go back to that area.

If you like a foresty, rural area with a moderate climate & all the amenities close at hand, I would definitely check out somewhere in the GA/TN/NC mountain region.

If you like high taxes, crowded highways, very high utilities, and crime...check out the central part of Florida from Tampa Bay east thru Daytona Beach. :rotfl:

Shannone1
08-16-2008, 08:49 AM
Gees, now you made me not want to leave Maine, we have all that too. Except our winters are a lot colder, and longer.

I've always wanted to visit Maine...it's on my list. ;) I think it's probably too cold for too long for my tastes though. I just got done reading a book set in Maine and the characters were wearing long sleeves even in the summer along the coastal towns. No mention of swimming in the water either, lol.

Our winters last about 3 months here...and it's very rare that we actually have snow on the ground all winter. Usually it's a little here and there. We actually sold our snowmobile because we didn't have enough snow on a regular basis to use it at home. You need to go quite a bit farther north to get deep snow. Some parts of the U.P can have snow Sep-June !! :scared1:

BRDof3
08-16-2008, 08:59 AM
Denise and I both like the Midwest, both for the weather and the attitudes. Of course, she's a Nebraska native, I'm the transplant. We both looked at Florida after graduating, but stayed in this region.

I would enjoy Florida again, though. This time I'd look along the Gulf coast, from Tampa/St. Pete north.

PolynesianPixie
08-16-2008, 10:20 AM
Where would I live? Hmmm. Scott and I have been talking about this very thing lately. Eventually I would like to go to Florida......I really, truly, honest to God want to play the Fairy Godmother some day!!!

We've considered moving from Virginia. We've thought about getting closer to Disney. We've also talked about getting closer to my MIL in NC to help her out. In her town, cost of living is CHEAP! We could sell our home, buy one there, and be completely debt free! As appealing as that is...the schools are terrible...plus, we'd be afraid of being "trapped' there. The biggest hinderance is WE LOVE THE BLUE RIDGE!

We do have all 4 seasons here. None are too harsh. There is something very special about the fall. You've got to take that drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway in mid-October! It's a religious experience!

I don't know if it's the clean mountain air, the college town or what...but people are especially friendly around here!

Blacksburg schools are in the top 5% in the country! Cost of living in Blacksburg is a little higher than the towns right around us. I'm pretty sure it's the schools that drive the prices up. I'd say, on average, homes are about $125-$175 a square foot. This area has just a plethora of outdoorsy stuff to do! Not to mention that it is gorgeous here! I drive off the mountain I live on and it catches me everytime! You've just got to be thankful for a view like that!

seabee
08-16-2008, 11:13 AM
I f ya'll are serious bout moving and have a list of possibilities that ya'll will visit to check out, and if Tennesse is on your list,,bring some lobster with you,,I'll provide the butter.:thumbsup2

Hmmm, lets say when I can finally get to a GG I will try and bring lobster. My step-father can usually get it cheaper right off the boat. If packed right it should travel just fine.:thumbsup2

seabee
08-16-2008, 11:16 AM
If you like high taxes, crowded highways, very high utilities, and crime...check out the central part of Florida from Tampa Bay east thru Daytona Beach. :rotfl:

Well that definately sounds appealing!:rotfl:

seabee
08-16-2008, 11:30 AM
I've always wanted to visit Maine...it's on my list. ;) I think it's probably too cold for too long for my tastes though. I just got done reading a book set in Maine and the characters were wearing long sleeves even in the summer along the coastal towns. No mention of swimming in the water either, lol.

Our winters last about 3 months here...and it's very rare that we actually have snow on the ground all winter. Usually it's a little here and there. We actually sold our snowmobile because we didn't have enough snow on a regular basis to use it at home. You need to go quite a bit farther north to get deep snow. Some parts of the U.P can have snow Sep-June !! :scared1:

Our winter starts Nov. and goes through March. It snowed a couple times in April this year.:sad2: And when I say snowed I mean plowable snow. There are many days in there when it is too cold they don't even let the kids out for recess at school. If it goes below 15 they can't go out. I 'd say about 1/2 of the time they were in.http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_8.gif

Our summers are nice, when we have them. I swear the seasons have shifted. We really aren't even getting a summer until late July, and then the kids are back in school at the end of August. Some of the teachers get upset because kids go on vacation during the school months. I think they should change the school year so people can actually do stuff when the weather is nice. That is the one thing I would miss if we did move, the girl's school. They go to a small private school(70 kids), that is very understanding about "family" time. I have never had a problem taking them out. They are really nice about makeup work, and giving them some stuff to take with us so they aren't swamped when we get back.

The exact words of our principal were "There are things a child learns on a family trip that they could never be taught in school" I think that is so true.

I'm sure it helps that my girl's do well in school, and make up work is ALWAYS in on time. If they didn't it probably wouldn't be as easy. I don't know if it would be to easy to take a week during school at a different school.:confused3

ntsammy5
08-16-2008, 11:49 AM
Sounds like Buffalo, but I think it's a little warmer here with more snow - because of the lakes. We have had very little summer this year - cool and rainy -our taxes here are outrageous - NYS is the highest tax state in the country - and our property values don't appreciate at all. My house is worth basically what it was 10 years ago - which makes it hard to move, but taxes still go up. Buffalo is on the top 10 list for fastest dying cities in the US - along with Detroit and Cleveland. Our median age here is higher than most retirement communities because all the kids are leaving and the old folks are staying. The number one industry here is government.

If I wasn't roughly half-way between the two girls I probably would get out. As it is I still may do it.

People may start moving back here as fresh water resources become more important and as the climate get warmer here (I know, but there is incontrovertible evidence that it is happening) but that won't happen until well after I'm gone.

des1954
08-16-2008, 01:44 PM
Buffalo is on the top 10 list for fastest dying cities in the US - along with Detroit and Cleveland.

But yet Parade Magazine recently rated Amherst/Clarence (Buffalo suburbs) as one of the best places in the US to live. The criteria (IIRC) was job availability, schools, low crime, taxes, and cost of living. I remember thinking when I read that...hmmmm... job availability if you are able to work from home...and.... cost of living only if money is no object!!

When I was growing up, Amherst & Clarence were all cow pastures and farm land. Now it's the home of McMansion's and gated communities.

AuburnJen92
08-16-2008, 03:41 PM
I grew up in hurricane country and I have lived in Alabama. It is funny, when I lived in one place, I missed the other. However, I can't beat where I am now. I have the beach (which I really don't like going to) and two rivers (that I do like going to) to enjoy. I really don't get excited about hurricanes all that much, except that the gas prices go out of site for a while. I'll take the risk for the comfort of knowing that I don't have to deal with the weather going under 70 degrees for very long.

Disney Campers
08-16-2008, 04:36 PM

Thats not the Michigan I grew up in, I remember Spring, Pre-winter, Winter and Post winter.:thumbsup2

ntsammy5
08-16-2008, 04:45 PM
Thats not the Michigan I grew up in, I remember Spring, Pre-winter, Winter and Post winter.:thumbsup2

Everytime I see you and Rhonda posting I look real quick to see if the thread has been locked :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Disney Campers
08-16-2008, 04:52 PM
Everytime I see you and Rhonda posting I look real quick to see if the thread has been locked :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Made you look:cool1: :cool1: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

mamaloya
08-16-2008, 04:59 PM
Where would I live? Hmmm. Scott and I have been talking about this very thing lately. Eventually I would like to go to Florida......I really, truly, honest to God want to play the Fairy Godmother some day!!!

We do have all 4 seasons here. None are too harsh. There is something very special about the fall. You've got to take that drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway in mid-October! It's a religious experience!

I don't know if it's the clean mountain air, the college town or what...but people are especially friendly around here!

Blacksburg schools are in the top 5% in the country! Cost of living in Blacksburg is a little higher than the towns right around us. I'm pretty sure it's the schools that drive the prices up. I'd say, on average, homes are about $125-$175 a square foot. This area has just a plethora of outdoorsy stuff to do! Not to mention that it is gorgeous here! I drive off the mountain I live on and it catches me everytime! You've just got to be thankful for a view like that!

OK Ami, I am sold, when can you make room for me? :cloud9: Sounds great. I like that area as well.

I hear that Chapel Hill, NC is top rated as a place to live. We went there a couple of times while we were stationed at Fort Bragg, NC. It is beautiful. Good camping, rivers, beach not too far. Smokie Mountains not too far. And only 1 day drive to FW. I want dh to get sent back to Bragg. Fayetteville (near Bragg) is nice, a lot of military retire there. It only "snowed" once while we were there and our yankee neighbors thought we were crazy running around screaming "it's snowing, it's snowing". OK, so only 1 in maybe collected. I am from New Orleans. THAT is snow. We loved it there. Mild seasons, yet you had all 4. No hurricanes, tornadoes, or earthquakes. We went to Myrtle Beach a few times.

Right now New Orleans is giving incentives to move there. :lmao: It was living in Orleans Parish that began my homescholing career. :teacher: On the northshore of New Orleans where Rog lives is very nice. Mandeville/Covington. St. Tammany Parish. Good schools, nice weather, camping, rivers, Covington is less expensive than Mandeville. If you live further out into the country it is very inexpensive.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

PolynesianPixie
08-16-2008, 05:44 PM
OK Ami, I am sold, when can you make room for me? :cloud9: Sounds great. I like that area as well.

Come on!:goodvibes

Shannone1
08-16-2008, 11:09 PM

Where did you grow up ?? I think people that move away tend to remember it as being colder than it really is here. I think your skin thins as you move south ;) My aunt grew up here where we usually start wearing sweatshirts when it's about 50 degrees outside. After 3 years in FL she can't stand coming back here anymore. If it is 50 she is in a winter coat, gloves and a hat !! :laughing:

On the flip side....our thicker skin can't take the FL heat. If it is above 80 I am too hot and need the a/c and shade. She doesn't even turn ON her a/c unless it is over 85 !!

~Kristina~
08-16-2008, 11:12 PM
North Carolina is on our possible move to list.

BRDof3
08-16-2008, 11:17 PM
Come on!:goodvibes

I agree, I'm ready to move. Mountains, trees, scenic views?? We're batting 0-for-3 here!! I like it here for a lot of reasons, but I'll never be able to cite those 3 reasons.

auntie
08-16-2008, 11:28 PM

My parents used to have a condo in North Conway N.H. Close enough to Maine. In fact we've cut down quite a few Christmas trees from Maine. We used to take the kids when they were young and have Thanksgiving there. It was lovely. However, there were quite a few Thanksgivings when they were sledding on the golf course. I remember your winters do start pretty early. One summer we were visiting and it was the 4th of July..the permanent residents were telling us that this was the first day of summer for them..and the 5th of July was the last day of summer!:laughing: I think the New England autumn, is absolutely beautiful. Only by Columbus Day they were past peak colors. Beautiful part of the country..but you're right about the cold. It is chilly that's for sure. I do think that given the amount of snow they get..they handle it really well. Just an inch of snow throws everything into kaos here. Where as in N.H. I remember them getting close to ten inches over night, and the roads were perfectly clear the following morning. I found that amazing. We do miss visiting the area. After my dad's stroke we sold the condo. The drive became too long..some seven hours from where we live. He and my mom used to fly there from Long Island..as my dad was a pilot. Not even a two hour flight in his small plane. I miss those days. Seems like a lifetime ago.

Make the move now..wherever it is... while your kids are still young. ;)

LONE-STAR
08-17-2008, 12:20 AM
We like it here in Texas. The only problem is we are to far from WDW. Doubt we will ever move but if we did it would to Florida.

momoffive
08-17-2008, 12:30 AM
North Carolina is on our possible move to list.

We live here in NC and we love it. We moved from the Lehigh Valley PA to here over 4 years ago and I have no desire to ever move "North" again. I gave my Father our snow blower with a big red ribbon and said enjoy! I think the most snow we have gotten is 2" at one time, and they canceled school. OMG they canceled school 2 years ago and there was only frost on the grass. That said there may have been ice on the roads closer to the mountains. Our only complaint, and it is huge, is the school system. 3 of our 5 children have special needs and require IEPs. My DD is hearing impaired, and it depends on your county services. Some counties are better than others. We have had great teachers and we have teachers that should never set foot in front of children again. I think you could have that anywhere. What I dislike the most about the school systems is they are county organized. Back home you could have 10 different school districts within your county, here, they are individual counties, services are spreed out through out the county.
Taxes are so much lower here than back up North. We payed over $4000 a year there and here they range from $600-$3000. Depends on where you live. Housing market is good and you are close to the mountains for winter activities, and where we live 3 hours from the shore, and only a 9 hour drive to WDW. If you like sports, college, so many so close, Wake Forrest, UNC, NCS, Duke, we have 12 or more just around us.

If we do move again, our choices are SC, TN, GA, and FL as our 4th choice.
Good Luck, our neighbors decided on our area when he threw a dart on a map. They like it too.
Loretta

seabee
08-17-2008, 12:48 AM
Make the move now..wherever it is... while your kids are still young. ;)

I know, it already is difficult for me to take them away from what they have gotten attached to here. Jim says I'm nuts, if he were still in the navy we'd be moving every 3 years. Which is fine if the kids are use to it, but they haven't had to, well that they remember anyway, so it is harder for them. But it is important to do it before they get to much older, ahhh, decisions.:scared:

VACAMPER
08-17-2008, 07:40 PM
I love Va. I love my Blue Ridge Mountains. I grew up just off the parkway in a one stop light town. I wish i still lived there but we're only about 45 min. away. We will probably never move and i'm happy with that.

djblu883
08-17-2008, 08:29 PM
I love the Blue Ridge!!! I didn't know you were there...2 of my fav. places are up in your area!! Floyd Va. has a winery close by Chateau Morrisette which I adore! and Mountain Lake Resort....
BUT I agree with Carol..North ALabama is a great place to raise a family...the fallls are some of the most beautiful colors around and the Winters get cold and you get dustings of snow with more from time to time...LOTS of great places to camp, good schools and still not too crowded you can't relax ,Property is still reasonable too....the most friendly place I've been since I've been working on the road is the Mississippi ..I back there to work again now and I have to say I LOVE IT!!!! and I love my job!!!! Its like coming home!!!!all the people are great!:hippie:

AuburnJen92
08-17-2008, 08:30 PM
Psst...you should try Central Alabama...the college town is much better...;)

djblu883
08-17-2008, 08:41 PM
well Yeah what Jen said..>>>>>>.west Central Alabama has a great college town area Great place to raise a family...mid winters...but summers are HOT!!!!:cool1:

VACAMPER
08-17-2008, 08:42 PM
I grew up in Floyd County!

BigDaddyRog
08-17-2008, 09:26 PM
I have a good friend who owns a couple of shoe stores in bama..ones on N. College St in Auburn, and the other is in downtown Tuscaloosa on Greensboro. Im always proud when one of my dancer friends gets out of the business and does well for herself.

Gatordad
08-17-2008, 09:29 PM
For me, Pacific Beach

PolynesianPixie
08-18-2008, 12:17 AM
I love the Blue Ridge!!! I didn't know you were there...2 of my fav. places are up in your area!! Floyd Va. has a winery close by Chateau Morrisette which I adore! and Mountain Lake Resort....
BUT I agree with Carol..North ALabama is a great place to raise a family...the fallls are some of the most beautiful colors around and the Winters get cold and you get dustings of snow with more from time to time...LOTS of great places to camp, good schools and still not too crowded you can't relax ,Property is still reasonable too....the most friendly place I've been since I've been working on the road is the Mississippi ..I back there to work again now and I have to say I LOVE IT!!!! and I love my job!!!! Its like coming home!!!!all the people are great!:hippie:

I love Chateau Morrisette! It is so beautiful! That's also where they make the Hokie wine! Scott and I are members there and get invited to hoity-toity parties. It gives us an excuse to get out and ride the parkway a bit!

lisa8200
08-18-2008, 08:03 AM
This is something that i have talked about a bit. I really only have two places I would want to live. One would be rght here where I am in St. Augustine FL. The other would be up near my dad in missouri. My choice to move closer to him would be based on two things that revaolve around one. When he retired, he bought a little farm up there to raise cows ( for beef, not milk ).
1st reason- Having a big piece of land out in the country would be like camping everyday ( no I'm not foolish enough to think that it would be all play and no work ).
2nd reason- Dad is starting to get older and could use the help. He's 65-66 years old and is taking care of about 200 acres ( not including leased land or property that people let him use for hay ) and average 60-70 head of cattle with just him and his wife ( I don't call my mom "his wife", this is my step mom:lmao: ). Not to mention that he still thinks its a good idea to break horses ( and I don't mean using the horse whisperer way ).
The only problem is at one point he told me that he lived in the poorest county in missouri. This is not a problem if you ar retired but it can be an issue if you plan on working and making any kind of money.
I must say that I think it's pretty cool that my dad is a cowboy ( which while cool is kinda funny ). up before dawn,mending fence, breaking horses,cattle drives, branding and everything else, and he is grateful that he gets to do it no matter how hard it is.
Oh wait, I thought this was the how cool is Mike and his familly thread :rolleyes1 .

Us3
08-18-2008, 08:57 AM
For us, it makes the most sense to live right where we are now. I really do like it here, but if money wasn't an issue, we'd probably live in Colorado or somewhere in the pacific northwest.

What brought us here was the economy. We lived in Dallas where housing is good, jobs are good....but its just hot as **** there in the summer. I actually grew up in the Dallas area, but the weather is just not for me anymore. So we started looking for a place with a similar economy. If it was up to me and dh, we'd probably live in the sticks somewhere with a beautiful scenic view...but job's require us to stay somewhat close to a large city. :rolleyes:

Nicole, we did a lot of research in this area. What was important to us:
1. Close to good jobs
2. Good schools
3. Somewhere that offered outdoor recreation that we enjoy
4. Scenic views if at all possible
5. Cooler weather than Dallas with some season's mixed in there!
6. Somewhere we could afford a decent size house for our family!

Our area is close to the mountains but also close to the city. We have the best school district in the metro Atlanta area (according to test scores anyway). We have Lake Lanier close by for fishing or boating. Crime is LOW! We really like the larger lots and traditional style homes. People call this Hot-lanta...but this is nothing like the hot weather we had in Dallas....and we have seasons here (not just summer and winter). This area is a bit more "relaxed" than closer to the city...and we like that.

I'd definitely recommend this area for someone looking for similar requirements.

Good luck Nicole! Enjoy your search!
Sonya