PDA

View Full Version : Disser's dominating a cruise No flames just curious from a sumwhat newbie to the boar

dental01
08-15-2008, 11:30 AM
We will be cruising soon and it seems to me that the activities planned by the disser's may take over the ship for those that aren't disser's or haven't been lucky enough to find these boards yet.

Do people find some of the activities or sleeping in the halls waiting for pins a problem for their trip that they have also paid so much money for.:confused3

Just curious.:cheer2:

We are excited about are trip as are our friends and would hate to have problems on the cruise.

These boards are a great resource and I have been reading them for many years and the hints are always helpful for our trips to the World.

Thanks

cruisinmama06
08-15-2008, 11:35 AM
"sleeping in the halls waiting for pins" :eek:

Explain please - I am new here too.

hedwigowl73
08-15-2008, 11:42 AM
I saw a group of teens last cruise hanging out in the hallway in there pajamas. This was the common area by the elevators. I always thought that was kind of odd.

BelleEm2
08-15-2008, 11:44 AM
I only found the boards a few months ago, and I've been on six cruises on DCL and I've hardly ever noticed the DIS presence (now I know it was there all along). I noticed door decorations and fish extenders a bit on the Magic in the Med last summer, but had absolutely no idea what any of it was and didn't concern myself with it at all. I remember thinking that it was probably a big family reunion or a community group or something. :lmao:

So, no. They don't overrun the ship with their activities. There are so many passengers on board that you may not even see a DISser or a fish extender or anything for your entire cruise.

And I'm a bit confused about the sleeping in the hallways thing too. Never seen or heard of anyone ever doing that.

Stepht5
08-15-2008, 11:44 AM
I don't htink any one has *slept in the hall for pins* in years....... DCL has *fixed* their way of dealing with limited edition pins onboard.

I think you would be pretty hard pressed to have Dissers disturb your vacation. I've been on a cruise with lots of Dissers and planned activities and I think most people didn't even notice us -- except maybe when we were getting our picture made together on Pirate night.

Stepht5
08-15-2008, 11:45 AM
I saw a group of teens last cruise hanging out in the hallway in there pajamas. This was the common area by the elevators. I always thought that was kind of odd.

That would have nothing to do with being a Disser though.......

Teenagers will always find ways to hang out together! LOL!

Janis
08-15-2008, 11:58 AM
I was on the 1st Panama Canal repo cruise where my fellow DISers slept in the hallways (I am not a pin collector so I slept in my room!). What happened was there were only 500 pins issued and 2500 on board. So people ended up sleeping in the halls overnight to be sure that they would get a pin. Disney learned some big lessons from this event and made some changes for the eastbound cruise. Like BellEm2 and Stepht5 said we don't overrun the ship and we are a friendly group.

cruisinmama06
08-15-2008, 12:18 PM
So they slept in the hallways for a pin. :eek:

Yep, that takes a whole new level of dedication that I just don't have...lol. ;)

Tarabra
08-15-2008, 12:18 PM
No, don't worry. Some cruises have many dissers and others not too many. Ours had maybe 10 or 15 who actually were on the board and participated in anything. We had a dis meet, but we were late and didn't make it and the others I spoke to missed it too, so not sure. Usually after the first day and if you are participating in the fish extender gift exchange that's about the only real group things. Some groups on the longer cruises plan more events. Usually 1 or 2 will get together for a night out or hanging out at a port. You won't even notice the dissers. Never fear. We did 5 cruises before we heard of the boards, never noticed.

mmouse37
08-15-2008, 12:25 PM

Yep, that takes a whole new level of dedication that I just don't have...lol. ;)

And.....slept out on deck on sun loungers in the front of the ship on Deck 10 to claim spots for the passing through the Panama Canal (which I thought was silly). You could see from just about anywhere up on Deck 10.

But I know how Disney obssessed people can be....I attended several Disneyana Conventions and people slept out on the sidewalk outside the hotel just to get a limited number piece of artwork. Not me....if I paid X amount of dollars to stay at the Disneyland Hotel....I am sleeping in a bed!!!

mjy
08-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Hmmm . . . that DOES give me a thought.

DVC has a "Member's Only" Cruise each year.

Wouldn't it be neat to get a DIS'ers only cruise once just to say we did it?! :thumbsup2

cruisinmama06
08-15-2008, 12:31 PM
And.....slept out on deck on sun loungers in the front of the ship on Deck 10 to claim spots for the passing through the Panama Canal (which I thought was silly). You could see from just about anywhere up on Deck 10.

But I know how Disney obssessed people can be....I attended several Disneyana Conventions and people slept out on the sidewalk outside the hotel just to get a limited number piece of artwork. Not me....if I paid X amount of dollars to stay at the Disneyland Hotel....I am sleeping in a bed!!!

Wouldn't it have been easier to just watch from their own Verandah's or like you said, Deck 10? :confused3

Yep, that is some pretty serious obsession.

I expect to be on one of the first RCCL sailings for Oasis. And I am a bit obsessed to get on that ship. But you won't see me sleeping outside my TA's office. :rotfl:

Janis
08-15-2008, 12:39 PM

Yep, me too. But everyone who did it said they had a lot of fun and that was where they first met some DISers. My DH is just happy that I'm not a pin collector or a collector of anything for that matter. :goodvibes

Hygiene99
08-15-2008, 12:44 PM
As others have said, the events planned and stuff like that, make up a very small portion of the cruise, yes on our next cruise we have about 120 cabins of Dis boards people.:scared1:

But when there are 2500 on board or so, the 400 people from the group seems rather small.. Most times People want to know if they could be part of an event
or Where people got certain things..:rotfl:
We are a friendly bunch and most times give info , so others may benefit in future cruise.

most times there are not 400 people in one place, everybody has there own schedule to keep..

some people you see the first day of the cruise and that is it!
that is ok..
it is there vacation, :)

dizneyfan23
08-15-2008, 01:14 PM
From what I've seen, where you notice the Disers most is in the cruise terminal before you board. Because most are either wearing the same shirt or the same color shirt, so it's pretty easy to tell. However, on the boat you'd hardly know their there.

castlegazer
08-15-2008, 03:05 PM
You'll never notice unless you want to.

We had a huge group on our last cruise and we simply identified each other with wrist bands. But if you didn't know what they were for, you certainly would never have noticed except to think that there sure were a lot of people who knew each other on the ship.

Seriously. I take part in meet threads but once on the ship I prefer to stay a little more to myself, but still I did a brunch together and some parties in one of the suites, but that was it. None of the activities of the DIS'rs would stand out as anything other than a large group traveling together and sharing maybe the private room of Palo or gatherin in a lounge.

I don't think DIS'rs are obnoxious sailors. If anything I would think the knowledge gained create more relaxed and laid back passengers.

inkkognito
08-15-2008, 03:18 PM
Only once have I ever really noticed a large group on the ship. It was many years ago, and there was some sort of group get-together for employees of a major investment house. A bunch of them staked a spot on the adult beach near the massage cabanas, and instead of listening to the waves I spent an hour listening to them laughing about ways to take advantage of clients. Heard similar things in the hot tub too...After that cruise, I would NEVER do business with that firm! I guess client confidentiality and good sense goes out the window with a few drinks.

lyn9856
08-15-2008, 03:21 PM
Here's my HO

Too much to do and too much of a family focus
We had a great time in May, attended our Dis meet on first day....enjoyed it greatly...but it stayed at just that.....and we hardly saw any of us Disers again
Having said that we have kept in touch with a couple.

Have to remember that a huge proportion of cruisers never even find thir way on to the internet...let alone on to the Dis Boards..its just that its a concentration here for people who prefer to be organised, share experirnces, and keep the Magic alive from cruise to cruise.......lol.

There was another thread recently that polled how many folks felt that the Dis spoiled their first experience on Disney Cruise...so that must say something!
One of the main functions for Dis is the planning element...some like to plan some dont.........
Don't worry anyway, it will be great fun!

DVCsince02
08-15-2008, 03:26 PM
Hmmm . . . that DOES give me a thought.

DVC has a "Member's Only" Cruise each year.

Wouldn't it be neat to get a DIS'ers only cruise once just to say we did it?! :thumbsup2

There is a sponsored DIS Podcast cruise next May. I'm going!!!

atinkerbellmom
08-15-2008, 03:31 PM
Wouldn't it have been easier to just watch from their own Verandah's or like you said, Deck 10? :confused3

Yep, that is some pretty serious obsession.

I expect to be on one of the first RCCL sailings for Oasis. And I am a bit obsessed to get on that ship. But you won't see me sleeping outside my TA's office. :rotfl:

Michele- You need to PM my son. His screen name her is atinkerbellson. He is obsessed with the Oasis. I will be honest, have not even looked at it, but he studies it literally everyday. Got some email about the premier of the reveal and he says something about needing a Crown member or something to get the link.... Maybe you can help him out..... I guess he has a DCL obsessed mom, he can get his own OCD ship.:rotfl:

Gonecruisin
08-15-2008, 03:38 PM
Yeah, hate those DISers........until I have a question about an excursion or tipping or cabins or pricing or luggage or schedules .... or need advice about a refund or medical availability or transportation or booking or packages or activities ....

They really know how to ruin a vacation. :confused3

Laxmom
08-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Your're worrying about nothing, OP. We will be going on our 3rd cruise soon. The first one, I didn't even know what a Disser was, let alone see one! Second one, I had done the cruise meet thing and couldn't find it! They either moved it last minute or no one showed! Never saw anyone from our thread and was the only door decorated within eyeshot of ours. Now we are on the 5 day and there are a lot of neat things planned. I don't know of any pins being handed out. They don't do that for every cruise. If you don't plan to participate, I doubt that you will even notice we are there. I assure you that 200 people on a sold out ship of 2500 is not a notable presence! Frankly, I'd be more worried about TS's and hurricanes than the Dissers onboard!

LCTsMom
08-15-2008, 04:20 PM
We will be cruising soon and it seems to me that the activities planned by the disser's may take over the ship for those that aren't disser's or haven't been lucky enough to find these boards yet.

Do people find some of the activities or sleeping in the halls waiting for pins a problem for their trip that they have also paid so much money for.:confused3

Just curious.:cheer2:

We are excited about are trip as are our friends and would hate to have problems on the cruise.

These boards are a great resource and I have been reading them for many years and the hints are always helpful for our trips to the World.

Thanks
Not only did the DIS folk not spoil my first DCL cruise in Sept 06, they enhanced it! They made it way more fun than it would have been had I not met them. What a great bunch of folks! It was nice, you could participate as much or as little as you wanted. You'd never know they were there though, it really is a relatively small group compared to the other passengers. I now consdier our group friends and still keep in touch with many of them two years later. I hope I am lucky enough to sail with them again, it was so cool to turn a corner and have a friend there saying hello.

dismom73
08-15-2008, 05:07 PM
I have been on two DC's and both were prior to finding the disboards and I had know idea there were "others" out there. I was so happy to find out I'm not the most Disney obsessed person in the world, although my husband would say I am. Like someone else mentioned, I just thought there were some family reunions when I saw people in matching shirts. I never noticed any disboard "events" in the way of anything.

cruisinmama06
08-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Michele- You need to PM my son. His screen name her is atinkerbellson. He is obsessed with the Oasis. I will be honest, have not even looked at it, but he studies it literally everyday. Got some email about the premier of the reveal and he says something about needing a Crown member or something to get the link.... Maybe you can help him out..... I guess he has a DCL obsessed mom, he can get his own OCD ship.:rotfl:

Not a problem. I can hook him up. ;)

I have a link to the "special invite" for the next online reveal. If I can't figure out how to do a PM, have him contact me, ok?

And you haven't looked at it :eek: :eek: :eek: Here, take a look, you know you want to...lol. ;)
www.oasisoftheseas.com

nzdisneymom
08-15-2008, 05:23 PM
We had a big turnout for a DIS meet last summer and there were a few other passengers who came by and asked what kind of group we were. What was great about having a DISMeet is that we usually saw other DISers wherever we were and it was nice to have familiar faces around. We have met other DISers on all three of our previous DCL cruises and that has totally enhanced our experiences.

kmaclou
08-15-2008, 08:05 PM
I haven't noticed any DISers on the cruises until this last one we took on 7/6. Someone had a luggage tag they made out of the lime green mickey head paint chip from Home Depot. I felt like I have cracked the DaVinci code because I knew what it meant. :rotfl:

pjpoohbear
08-15-2008, 08:57 PM
We had 400 on the May repo and the only public notice of us was when we were mentioned by Brent at one of the shows, big cheer from the crowd, and that was all.

Pj

dental01
08-15-2008, 09:19 PM
I'm not saying these boards are a problem or that the group is a problem for being on the cruise I was just curious how people respond to the group as a whole being on the cruise
"I asked for no flames please".

I'm not worried that there will be a problem on the cruise as I said in my original post I read these boards daily and appreciate all advice,suggestions and comments give for all of my Disney vactaions

I don't think anyone would ruin my vacation.

I believe these boards and everyones input is better than any travel guide or agent that could give you any information about the Happiest place on earth.

Thanks for not throwing flames.

atinkerbellmom
08-15-2008, 10:22 PM
We had 400 on the May repo and the only public notice of us was when we were mentioned by Brent at one of the shows, big cheer from the crowd, and that was all.

Pj

So 400 is the MAGIC number?????:confused3 Now I know what we have to do to get Brent or Christiaan (Rachel never would anyway princess: ) to give us a SHOUT out...... I guess I better start recruiting for our next cruise.....:worship: :worship: :worship: On my last cruise we were not even noticed.....:sad2:

Grandma4ever
08-15-2008, 11:08 PM
Been on 5 cruises and didn't know about the DIS until after the 4th cruise. There really isn't anyone that regonizes the group except those who are in the group.

robsmom
08-16-2008, 06:56 AM
I was aware of DIS and part of "the group" for our cruise last summer. Even after tons of posting, it is really a loose knit group and you only need to be involved to the extent you choice to be. Most of the time, I didn't even notice the group!! My cruise this year moved most of the organization to a yahoo chat for some reason and to be honest i just can't get motivated to join that private group. Guess I can't figure out what was wrong with the DIS!! We did the FE's and my son enjoyed the suprises. I did tea with the ladies which was really great as i met some wonderful people and i don't think it was something my dh really wanted to do anyway. Other than that, it was nice to say hi to a few people as you walked about the ship.

ibouncetoo
08-16-2008, 12:17 PM
I was aware of DIS and part of "the group" for our cruise last summer. Even after tons of posting, it is really a loose knit group and you only need to be involved to the extent you choice to be. Most of the time, I didn't even notice the group!! My cruise this year moved most of the organization to a yahoo chat for some reason and to be honest i just can't get motivated to join that private group. Guess I can't figure out what was wrong with the DIS!! We did the FE's and my son enjoyed the suprises. I did tea with the ladies which was really great as i met some wonderful people and i don't think it was something my dh really wanted to do anyway. Other than that, it was nice to say hi to a few people as you walked about the ship.

Lots of times DIS groups will build a password protected 'home' or a yahoo group site so that personal information can be exchanged withing the group that people wouldn't normally post on the internet. Don't know if that was the case for your group or not.

SLK1
08-17-2008, 02:21 PM
Can someone tell me what a "Disser" is???

Grandma4ever
08-17-2008, 04:00 PM
Can someone tell me what a "Disser" is???

It is those of us that post on the DIS and have DIS meets on land and on board the ship. So I guess that makes you one of us!!!:lmao:

figment1986
08-17-2008, 06:16 PM

Pj

I was a new member then... and didnt know anything about here really (joined before cruise but visited after cruise) and except for the person staying next to me with the white board on the door i did not really notice much of anything, then again this was a cruise full of mostly repeat cruisers and i never cruised on disney before. (the fact I took a group photo is right place right time)