PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone sailed Cat. 4-12 after concierge?

dragonflydreaming
08-14-2008, 10:55 PM
Please no flames.
This is totally sincere.
We have only cruised concierge and to be honest we have loved it! We have a special needs child that has sensory issues and required total darkness and no movement around him to get to sleep. A suite was the only way we could cruise and I'm so grateful to Disney for the vacations they have provided for us. He has come a long way and now I think we don't actually need a suite to be able to cruise. Unfortunately, now we're spoiled.
This year we didn't get the call from inventory control and now no suites are available. We've done the excursions so that's not an issue and pre-boarding isn't a big deal. But I will miss all the PALO meals, nightly snacks and most of all THE SPACE!!!!!!!
Also, we aren't nighthawks and do love the evenings in our cabin watching movies and enjoying the treats. We spend a lot of time on our balcony and love the attention from the concierge staff and the great dining seating. This is the only time my husband and I get any attention (LOL)
O.K. now that I'm going through total withdrawal............
I really want to know if anyone has ever been disapointed in their cruise experience not sailing concierge after having a suite?

Thanks so much!

JNorris
08-14-2008, 11:16 PM
Please no flames.
This is totally sincere.
We have only cruised concierge and to be honest we have loved it! We have a special needs child that has sensory issues and required total darkness and no movement around him to get to sleep. A suite was the only way we could cruise and I'm so grateful to Disney for the vacations they have provided for us. He has come a long way and now I think we don't actually need a suite to be able to cruise. Unfortunately, now we're spoiled.
This year we didn't get the call from inventory control and now no suites are available. We've done the excursions so that's not an issue and pre-boarding isn't a big deal. But I will miss all the PALO meals, nightly snacks and most of all THE SPACE!!!!!!!
Also, we aren't nighthawks and do love the evenings in our cabin watching movies and enjoying the treats. We spend a lot of time on our balcony and love the attention from the concierge staff and the great dining seating. This is the only time my husband and I get any attention (LOL)
I really want to know if anyone has ever been disapointed in their cruise experience not sailing concierge after having a suite?

Thanks so much!

Two years ago we sailed in a cat 3, and then last year and coming up in 2 weeks, we are sailing in 2 cat 8's. Yes, concierge was very nice, we felt special with the treats, and the daily visits by concierge. They did a couple of special things for us. But it's not something I miss now.

But I would miss the space, so that's why we get 2 cabins. We don't miss the verandah, so if you would be disappointed without it, definitely get a verandah cabin.

dragonflydreaming
08-14-2008, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the reply Judy.

Do you save much booking 2 rooms? I'm not sure how it works when booking. If we booked 2 rooms we would DEFINITELY need 1 room balcony for me as I get motion sickness and need to sit out each night.

M & M
08-14-2008, 11:37 PM
We have cruised Disney twice the first was a 4 night and we where booked in a cat 6, Disney upgraded us to a cat 4. The second time was a 3 night and we booked a cat 3. DH thought we should try a 7 night w/ Disney and wanted to see if a cat 3 was available and it was so we booked it. If it came down to no cruise or a lessor cat I would take the lessor cat to cruise. Now in your case I don't know how important a balcony is in ours it is very, very important, especially if you spend time in your room. If the balcony is not so important you can always order room service for the treats, no matter the cat., but can you do without the extra room of a suite is the?

Good Luck

JNorris
08-15-2008, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the reply Judy.

Do you save much booking 2 rooms? I'm not sure how it works when booking. If we booked 2 rooms we would DEFINITELY need 1 room balcony for me as I get motion sickness and need to sit out each night.

We definitely saved money by booking 2 cat 8's over one cat 3. You would have to do a price comparison with 2 cat 6's or 7's in order to have the verandah, since that is important to you. It's possible that one cat 3 could be less expensive than two verandah cabins.

But for us, we are fine with it. Never spent much time on the verandah anyway. But I'd have to think long and hard about giving up the porthole!

cruisinmama06
08-15-2008, 09:35 AM
I haven't done suites on DCL but I have done them on RCCL and CCL. The perks you get with concierge level on RCCL are amazing. Now we are back to a Cat 6 verandah on Disney. I can do without the VIP boarding. I can do without the gifts and little extras delivered to our cabin. I can do without the concierge lounge (on RCCL).

What I can NOT do without is the BALCONY. At this point I won't sail without one....which is why I am here at Disney for our next sailing. RCCL didn't have a balcony available for the weekend I needed, so I hopped over to DCL.

My kids are young, so they won't be out partying till midnight. ;) So we will spend more time in our cabin at night than others.

For you, I would suggest a verandah cabin. You won't miss the space as much as the balcony.

alldiz
08-15-2008, 10:35 AM
I am now spoiled about a balcony as well. Just went on a Carnival cruise with my job....Boss sprung for Balcony rooms:worship:

Of course on my last cruise I was quite content with my inside "steerage" room. Now I am bypassing a porthole and "NEED" a balcony.

Priced my 7 night DCL...with the cheapest...Navigator balcony....almost 8,000 for 3:scared1:
ahem....I might need to save a little more for that one:headache:
Kerri

m4travel
08-15-2008, 01:39 PM
While we need a balcony for the fresh air (motion sickness issues), we prefer a Cat 3 for the space. Aboard a self-contained floating world, space is the ultimate luxury. pixiedust:

We first cruised in a Cat 6 - which was nice - but have sailed Cat 3 thereafter. We do have a Cat 6 booked for a quick cruise in October and a Cat 7 for September 2009, but otherwise it's a Cat 3, and particulalry a midship, sideways Cat 3 (we have 2 connecting Cat 3s next January; it will make the family extravaganza worthwhile).

The little extras of concierge are nice, but it's the space that I'll miss most.

cruisinmama06
08-15-2008, 01:55 PM
While we need a balcony for the fresh air (motion sickness issues), we prefer a Cat 3 for the space. Aboard a self-contained floating world, space is the ultimate luxury. pixiedust:

We first cruised in a Cat 6 - which was nice - but have sailed Cat 3 thereafter. We do have a Cat 6 booked for a quick cruise in October and a Cat 7 for September 2009, but otherwise it's a Cat 3, and particulalry a midship, sideways Cat 3 (we have 2 connecting Cat 3s next January; it will make the family extravaganza worthwhile).

The little extras of concierge are nice, but it's the space that I'll miss most.

I am still learning the categories for Disney ships. So a higher Category like a Cat 3 won't necessarily have a balcony? :eek: Or it does have one?

I have so much to learn...lol. ;)

Soccermom-Cheri
08-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Cat 3's have balconies. I believe all cat 4's do as well. I'm another one who needs a balcony to combat motion sickness. I run out there at least half a dozen times a day.

eva
08-15-2008, 02:09 PM
All staterooms from 1-7 have balconies of some type. Catagory 8 and higher do not.

m4travel
08-15-2008, 02:20 PM
I am still learning the categories for Disney ships. So a higher Category like a Cat 3 won't necessarily have a balcony? :eek: Or it does have one?

I have so much to learn...lol. ;)

Not sure where you gleaned that information from my post, cruisinmama06. Did the reference to a midship, sideways Cat 3 remind you of the sideways Cat 11s, which are inside cabins?

A Cat 3 midship, sideways stateroom is 3 cabins wide and the balcony stretches the entire width. A standard Cat 3 is 2 cabins wide. Cat 3s are all outside cabins.

cruisinmama06
08-15-2008, 02:35 PM
Not sure where you gleaned that information from my post, cruisinmama06. Did the reference to a midship, sideways Cat 3 remind you of the sideways Cat 11s, which are inside cabins?

A Cat 3 midship, sideways stateroom is 3 cabins wide and the balcony stretches the entire width. A standard Cat 3 is 2 cabins wide. Cat 3s are all outside cabins.

Yep it was the reference to the "sideways" that threw me...see I told you I was still learning the categories. ;)

Thanks for clearing that up for me. :)

m4travel
08-15-2008, 02:38 PM
Yep it was the reference to the "sideways" that threw me...see I told you I was still learning the categories. ;)

Thanks for clearing that up for me. :)

Disney's a bit expensive, but even they wouldn't charge those prices for an inside cabin!

pit303
08-15-2008, 04:22 PM
Please no flames.
This is totally sincere.

Thanks so much!

We are on the Sept 27th DD and we booked a Cat 6 and waitlisted for a Cat 3 which we just got word we got last Thursday. That might be another opition to look into getting on the waitlist we waited over 6 months and we got lucky. Hope this helps.