PDA

View Full Version : Way Out West - Day 0 The trip to Heathrow

wickesy
08-11-2008, 03:18 AM
As I had to go to work today I was up at 7:15 and after getting washed and dressed I packed my toiletries so that I would be ready to go as soon as I got home later.

I left home at 7:45 and after spending most of the morning working I managed to find time at 11:00 to do online check-in for the flight tomorrow. As the only available seats were a couple of rows in front of what we already had I decided to stick with the seats we had been allocated and printed off our boarding passes so that all we had to do was drop the bags off tomorrow.

Events in the afternoon conspired against me to ensure that I would not be able to get as much out of the way as I had intended to but I still managed to leave things in good order for while I was away and I was able to escape by 4:30, arriving home at 5:00.

The cab to take us to Heathrow was booked for 6:00 and shortly before then the telephone rang. It was the cab driver informing us he was outside so we were soon on the road and after a relatively smooth journey through London we arrived at the Holiday Inn at Heathrow shortly after 7:00. I gave our name at the Reception desk and the receptionist punched away on his computer. He then looked at the confirmation I had placed under his nose and said: “Perfect. I can’t find you because this is Holiday Inn Hillingdon and you are booked in at Holiday Inn Heathrow”. Now I was aware that there are two Holiday Inns at Heathrow and I was pretty confident that we were booked in at the one on the roundabout by the M4 spur. I had also seen the signs for Sipson as we approached the Holiday Inn but even so I had to concede that we were at the wrong hotel.

We went over Guest Services who booked a taxi for us and 15 minutes later, and 11 pounds lighter, we had checked in at the Holiday Inn Heathrow where were allocated room 3202. Dad and I both agreed that although Dad had given the cab company the postcode of the hotel when he booked it, it was not worth getting upset over and it would teach us to be more careful in future.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t120/wickesy/California%202008/DSCF0400.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t120/wickesy/California%202008/DSCF0401.jpg

We made our way down to the bar where we had a pint of Stella each and although the aroma of the food for Indian night at the buffet restaurant was inviting we decided that as we had already had a curry the night before we would have a chicken burger and another pint of Stella in the bar.

At 9:30 we booked a wake-up call and taxi for the morning before retiring to the room and so to bed dreaming of the good times still to come on our holiday.

Tomorrow: Day 1 – The journey (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1916488)

wilma-bride
08-11-2008, 05:47 AM
Great start David - I'm really looking forward to this :)

Pinky166
08-11-2008, 06:24 AM
Good start David. :thumbsup2

Shame about the hotel mix up.

Lizzybear
08-11-2008, 06:37 AM
Great start! Shame about the mixup but I agree with you and your dad that it's not worth getting upset over, you're on holiday after all :goodvibes

Snowy-girls
08-11-2008, 07:01 AM
Hi David,I have been waiting for your trippie,i am really looking foward to it.Shame about the wrong hotel.x.

irongirlof12
08-11-2008, 09:09 AM
fab start, nice hotel room :thumbsup2

jjk
08-11-2008, 10:55 AM
great start :goodvibes

SusanEllen
08-11-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm reading along, too, David. Looks like your promptness is going to put me to shame and you're likely to finish your report before I finish mine--your trip having occurred a month after mine! I bow to your expertise and experience. On to read the next installment. I may not be able to write fast enough to keep up with you, but surely I can read fast enough.

wickesy
08-11-2008, 12:06 PM
I'm reading along, too, David. Looks like your promptness is going to put me to shame and you're likely to finish your report before I finish mine--your trip having occurred a month after mine! I bow to your expertise and experience. On to read the next installment. I may not be able to write fast enough to keep up with you, but surely I can read fast enough.

Great things come to those who wait Susan, and I am sure that by waiting for yours we will get something great. :goodvibes I'm only getting mine up now because I lugged my laptop all the way to California with me and typed it up as we went.

florida sun
08-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Great start David, Really looking forward to reading your trip report:goodvibes

Strommie
08-13-2008, 01:57 AM
Nice start, pity about the hotel confusion, but like you say, not worth getting upset about :)

natalielongstaff
08-13-2008, 02:31 AM
Great start david :thumbsup2 shame about the taxi mix-up !

mark&sue
08-13-2008, 12:32 PM
love the bit about your curry the night before as we are off for a curry in a while as we leave for holiday tomorrow and I am working all day too. Although no plane for us as we are driving to Spain.

Susan

tennisfan
08-13-2008, 01:41 PM
Great start, shame about the hotel mix up.

arieljasmine
08-14-2008, 04:03 AM
Great start, David. How strange, we ended up at the wrong Holiday Inn when we went to Heathrow for our trip to LA too!

Laur's princess:

bombhead444
08-14-2008, 10:14 AM
Off to a good start by the sounds of it, look forward to hearing the rest.

wickesy
08-14-2008, 11:12 AM
Great start, David. How strange, we ended up at the wrong Holiday Inn when we went to Heathrow for our trip to LA too!

Laur's princess:

I told Dad somebody on the DIS had (I couldn't remember who) and that was why I was determined not to make the same mistake!

PudseyChancer
08-16-2008, 08:30 AM
Looking forward to this trip report David, we're looking at doing a similar trip - am gonna take notes I think!