PDA

View Full Version : What is most important in your choice of resort?

PKS44
04-14-2002, 05:15 PM
In response to KNWVIKING's request...

Terry S
04-14-2002, 06:19 PM
This is a good poll. For me it was a tie between location and theme/atmosphere. But if I really had to pick between one I decided on location.

Eeyore2U
04-14-2002, 06:55 PM
I voted for location. But I'm not sure how fair a question it is. We bought BWV and when we added on it was at VWL since it was all that was available.

DeeP
04-14-2002, 07:03 PM
I think this is a very good poll but the choice: close parking/valet parking are really 2 opposites not one choice, because the DVC properties that offer close parking (at your door) do not offer valet parking and vice versa.

Granny
04-14-2002, 07:16 PM
As a VWL owner, theming is the numero uno aspect!

The fact that we love the location too (away from the parks) is just a bonus. :D

Richyams
04-14-2002, 07:20 PM
I think that many of the choices go together.

I like the room size, location, point schedule and theming at OKW.

KNWVIKING
04-14-2002, 07:26 PM
.... for me it's all about location for the type of trip we're on. As I've previously posted: VWL for Christmas,BWV or now BCV for F&W, OKW for May trip.

Beth
04-14-2002, 09:32 PM
I'm confused...

In our "choice of resort" for each stay, or when we originally purchased?

Judging from the replies to this point, I think you're getting answers for both scenarios...

AZKathy
04-14-2002, 09:45 PM
Oh WOW! I agree 100% with Rich! :D :D :D :D

PKS44
04-14-2002, 10:22 PM
As I think of the poll I think it means where you stay-not where you bought...obviously that will vary from trip to trip, so I think the term "in general" would apply..

The parking question was intentionally covering more than one resort because all the questions do...this is not a which resort is best poll it is which feature is MOST IMPORTANT. Obviously theme/atmosphere can cover all the resorts. Pool could refer to several as Richyams and KNWVIKING pooint out, location could be construed as plus at any resort depending on where you want to be as KNWVIKING points out....thus his choice of location as most important...mine too

As for Richyams comment- he is trying to make this a which resort is better question when it is a WHAT is the MOST important feature question...you can like a lot of things all about one resort...or like a few and not others-...but what is THE MOST important. Terry S understands it perfectly..if you have to choose just one-and that is the world of these polls, what is your choice? Based on Richyams prior posts I would guess room size is his MOST IMPORTANT thing.

Finally- to KNWVIKING- poll making is usually a thankless task, so thanks for acknowledging my effort.

Paul

Peterd
04-14-2002, 11:35 PM
It's a tough poll to answer, because when you say what most want:

theme, they all have their themes, BWv old Atlantic city type, Okw -okw, wlv wilderness. People would vote on their fav. theme.

So if somone answers themes, they could be answering for any of the resorts.

location, some would vote three of the resorts for the location to the parks, and some would vote the okw for where it is in relation to the parks.

so that answer could be skewed. I could see if you say, Location to the parks. 'Cause as you can see by some of the remarks ,some people like the location of the Okw in relation to the parks.

Pool, is I guess the only one you could actually measure.
SAB, WLV and BWV, then Okw,

Point cost/ room size you could lump together

Parking, don't think anyone really cares to make it their number one choice.

I originally answered Theme, but then read location later. Instructers always told me to read all the answers but I didn't. Tough poll, needs to be refined a bit, to provide any meaningful data. Pks it was a good try and thanks, as you can see, some try to change what you are really looking for as what they look for first. Mine would have been location. Some want to pick them all, then make a case that they fit in them all.

Muushka
04-15-2002, 04:38 AM
I totally agree with Granny for his 2 points:

Theming (which is why we chose VWL)

and location (being AWAY from the parks! AAAHHH love that quiet)

Granny
04-15-2002, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by PKS44
Finally- to KNWVIKING- poll making is usually a thankless task, so thanks for acknowledging my effort.

Paul,

Personally, I think you did a good job with the poll.

The polls here are for entertainment purposes. Realize that only a small percentage of DVC owners come to this board. So there will never be any data that can be interpreted as representing the total DVC ownership opinions.

The real value of a poll comes with the comments that expand upon a vote. There are many good comments on this poll and I think the question was clear enough, for me anyway.

Keep up the good work, my fellow Missourian! :)

akasleepingbeauty
04-15-2002, 11:37 AM
Actually, Peterd, I disagree with your assessment of the poll. I think it is setup just right in order to separate out the individual resorts and focus on the actual motivation behind your choice.

Yes, each resort has its own theme but the question is whether theming is the reason for choosing the resort for your stay - not which theme do you prefer.

Same for location - the question is whether location is the primary reason for your resort choice as opposed to which location do you prefer. For many people, the reason for picking a particular location (quiet versus near restaurants etc.) will vary but the fact that location is generally their primary deciding factor does not change.

I don't believe this poll was designed to choose one resort over another but instead to highlight those factors that are most influential when picking a resort for a vacation.

I voted theming as this was our primary reason for buying VWL and remains the primary reason why we will most likely stay there for the majority of our WDW vacations. I sure do, however, love the option of staying at other resorts should I decide that for a particular vacation a different factor is more important.

Thanks Paul for putting this poll together - job well done IMO.

Peterd
04-15-2002, 02:10 PM
After reading it again, you're right I agree.

As Amy Latella would say "never mind".

CaptainMidnight
04-15-2002, 03:05 PM
Perhaps pool would be an addition to the poll, anyone consider the pool in thier resort choice? WLV owners? BCV owners? HH and Vero owners, I guess location includes proximity to the Ocean....

robinb
04-15-2002, 03:14 PM
I said "location". I book at OKW because I love the relaxing location on the golf course. I book at BWV because I love being able to walk to Epcot and MGM. I book at VWL because I like being away from the parks, but close enough for a boat ride to the MK. I book at VB because of the ocean. I haven't been to HH yet :).

ralphd
04-16-2002, 08:37 AM
We think the theming of the resorts is the most important aspect.
Location is also a consideration, otherwise don't think most people would not have purchased DVC in the first place.

ralphd:) :) :)

Terry S
04-16-2002, 08:47 AM
Ralphd... I beleive the "Location" preference on this one means the location within WDW. Not the location of WDW.

ralphd
04-17-2002, 09:04 AM
Clarification on location:
1. We joined at BWV because we liked the resort (theming, services and personality) and also liked the location near Epcot and MGM.
2. Started to add-on at BCV because of theming, SAB and location.
3. Wanted to check (because of reading the reports on the forum) VWL first and decided we preferred VWL over BCV. Did two add-ons at VWL because of theming and resort personality. We also liked having an option near the MK.
We have completed two add-ons at BWV and two add-ons at VWL. Will probably do at least one more add-on at VWL.

ralphd
:) :) :) :) :) :)

mickeys#1fan
04-17-2002, 04:30 PM
We have stayed at BWV for the pool and atmosphere down on the Boardwalk. Hilton Head purely for location, then we discovered the great atmosphere. We're staying at BCV in August for the atmosphere and SAB - our first time at SAB - woohoo!

We bought at VWL for atmosphere - a love affair, if you will, with the American West. I love just about any place that plays Aaron Copeland as background music. The lake is peaceful at night and is a soothing place to walk. And it seems to me that no resort is prettier at Christmas, save GF.

Lesley
04-17-2002, 10:31 PM
Location, with theme/atmospere coming second....which is why most of my points are at BWV and I have some at VWL too. BWV's big draws for me are location, standard view points and to some degree the theme. VWL's theming is my favorite and the location is nice, though not quite as convenient as BWV.

But even these are relative.....OKW's theming obviously floats many boats, but its just not for my family. We will return to there at some point to save points or try out the spaciousness of the villas (we weren't impressed by the size of the studios...or not any more than at other DVC properties anyway). I'm not sure if we'll try BCV....unless pool hopping to there is stopped and we decide we really want to swim there (maybe it'll happen, maybe not) I find the BC theme sort of weak. But that's just us...others are welcome to have their own thoughts! It's wonderful that there are so many options that fit so many DVCers!

carone0318
04-18-2002, 07:06 AM
I have now increased my strollers from 1 to 2 and the fact that I can walk, take a boat or the monorail to all but 1 of the big 4 parks is a real plus :D Bottom line though, I would have bought anywhere on property, luckily BWV was available. Funny thing is, when we added on we bought HH, sight unseen. I have 2 small kids and just feel that WDW is the place to be for vacations. I may make it to HH someday, but not for a while. I can settle for OKW 7 months out, regardless of location. Besides OKW have a better room layout! I love them all and am just happy to be able to go to any of them.

Wes
12-14-2002, 10:24 AM
Location, Location, Location

littlestar
12-14-2002, 11:29 AM
Just kind of had this same type discussion with our kids (ages 22 and 18) about an upcoming trip for May.

My husband and I wanted to stay at Old Key West in a two bedroom and save points. The kids said, please no, not there. It feels like it's for old people (I didn't say this, they did - I happen to like Old Key West, but after all, I am old!)

They are bringing boyfriends that have never been to Disneyworld and they want to "wow" them. They said BCV for wow. They said Storm a Long Bay pool will make their mouths drop. Then they said if we can't get BCV, then WLV for the "open your mouth and stare lobby and theming." I asked about Boardwalk and they said, no, they don't think the clown slide would impress the guys. Too much for little kids they said.

I guess theming would be our vote.

Desperado
12-14-2002, 11:53 AM
Looks like theming and location are way ahead in the poll. Nobody selected pool.

Good poll, good idea.

JADEMM
12-14-2002, 12:21 PM
Theme/atmoshpere is kind of location also-walking on the boardwalk or looking out your window of BCV or BWV and seeing spaceship earth or TOT is because of the location. Certainly walking to EPCOT and MGM (location) is priceless also. We voted Atmosphere because of some of the locations.

Chuck S
12-14-2002, 12:23 PM
I voted Theme/atmosphere..but it is really a combination of factors.

1) Usually it is just Mom & me traveling together, so sometimes we stay in a studio, sometimes a 1 bdrm. The two queen beds in the OKW studios are great for us, so I don't have to sleep on the fold-out. We also like 1bdrms, and stayed in one at OKW for the trip we just completed - the new mattres on the fold out was comfortable - but not as nice (for me) as having the 2 queen beds - the other amenities of the 1 bdrm are a trade off for "sleeping on the couch".

2) Parking at OKW can't be beat - we like to drive to the parks so we don't HAVE to wait for the busses in case of bad weather. With Mom having had 3 surgeries on the same hip, it is great to park near our room. Who wants to wait for a bus if they're wet, cold, and miserable? That being said, I did use the WDW bus for a quick shopping trip to AK, and found the transportation adequate.

3) OKW is quieter, I don't think I would be as comfortable with all the "hussle and bussle" at BWV, but we did wander around at BWV, and it is a lovely resort.

4) Being members since 92, most OKW CMs have been there awhile, especially the servers at Olivia's, who (of course) recognize and chat with returning members. It makes feel "at home".

Maistre Gracey
12-14-2002, 12:37 PM
Wow,this is an old thread! I will put on my bell bottoms and love beads, then vote theming. I love VWL!!!!

Peace......

Desperado
12-14-2002, 02:30 PM
Wow,this is an old thread! I didn't notice that until you said something. It went from April to December. Interesting. Was there even a BCV option back in April?

msdis
12-14-2002, 10:28 PM
We own
VWL-for atmosphere and theming
BWV-for location

PKS44
08-06-2011, 04:24 PM
Still a valid question--so many more members now--I would love to see more votes...
the question is about where you stay not where you own-
what is the MOST IMPORTANT CONSIDERATION in your choice of where to stay?

Plutofan
08-06-2011, 05:23 PM
For us it is a combination of the pool, location and room. We love them all but the BCV is our favorite pool and the treehouse ranks up there for rooms.

bwvBound
08-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Still a valid question--so many more members now--I would love to see more votes...
what is the MOST IMPORTANT CONSIDERATION in your choice of where to stay?I voted "other." While our reservation decision is typically based on location ... sometimes we choose a resort just because it is new (Treehouses in Dec 2009; Aulani for Sept 2011), for unit size (GV at SSR for Oct 2010) or simply because "we haven't stayed there yet!" (OKW, VWL, AKV; each at random points in time).

DisDad07
08-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Point cost, because we take the family on 1 trip in June, and still have points to go in the Oct. for FWF

TLSnell1981
08-06-2011, 09:08 PM
Location! We never considered, anywhere, except BWV or BCV. We were pretty evenly split, but the BWV view villas and GVs won us over.:goodvibes

Deb & Bill
08-06-2011, 09:09 PM

Yikes, this thread is nine years old. Why not just start a new one? Aulani didn't exist when this was started. BLT didn't exist. I don't think SSR even existed yet.

4DisneyAddicts
08-07-2011, 12:35 AM
I chose other because we chose BLT because it is our boys favorite. If we pass on before the 49 years are up, they each will have a contract. We have many great memories from our Contemporary stays. I guess you could say this is really location, but the location was dependent on the kids' preference.

If I were to choose based upon decor, I probably would have gone with VWL. The main reason we finally bought in after years of consideration was because of our memories at CR. The decor at BLT is probably my least favorite.

ses1230
08-07-2011, 08:09 AM
Oh wow I didn't realize this thread was from 2002 when I voted. Anyway, I chose location, as in being close to the parks.

bobbiwoz
08-07-2011, 08:27 AM
Since this was begun before BCV with SAB came along, i'm not surprised that "pool" has so few votes. I can't vote in this one, because each stay has a different focus!

But boy, was I surprised to see the responders to this thread, until I saw the date!

Judique
08-07-2011, 08:29 AM
I chose 'other'.

View is probably what is most important to me, but maybe not in the same ways as some.

I own at 4 resorts. At each, I must have a certain view.

I must have a balcony.

I don't want to be at Vero unless I can see the ocean.

Hilton Head - must be able to see the marsh.

BWV - don't want garden view. Give me Boardwalk View or Standard View - something has to be moving outside my window, whether it be shorebirds, ocean, cars and buses or boats or people.

BCV I own at but I never book it anymore, because I don't like the views.

I've stayed in a one bedroom at Saratoga in the Springs section where the only two things I saw move all week were a squirrel came by one day, and the guy mowed one day - I thought I'd go stir crazy on my balcony - never again unless I know I'm getting the Congress section - facing movement!

Same with OKW, but not quite as bad - unless I get a room that is completely isolated with trees around the balcony.

AKW - I've always had an animal view so acceptable.

In other words, something has to move when I'm watching from my balcony.

ShuisFan584
08-07-2011, 11:04 AM
For me, it's definitely the theme as well as the room views.

I am a huge animal lover so it was a no-brainer that I would buy into AKV. I love the theme of the resort as well as the fact that I can sit on my balcony and watch the animals.

The second resort I bought into was BWV. I'm a Jersey girl and always liked to spend my summers at the beach and going to the boardwalk. So BWV is definitely my style. Plus, I love having a balcony over the boardwalk and being able to people-watch.

PKS44
08-08-2011, 07:24 AM
I didn't notice that until you said something. It went from April to December. Interesting. Was there even a BCV option back in April?

BCV existed when the poll began--SSR, BLT and Aulani and GCV did not...and their existence does not change things really---the question is the same, though those who answered in 2002 might have a different answer today, the FEATURES that are the MOST important in choosing where to stay are still pretty much as listed with some good additional ideas posted above...

TagsMissy
08-08-2011, 11:06 AM
I chose theme/atmosphere but for us we also always keep in mind to try somewhere we've not stayed yet. We still have a few DVC resorts to try then we'll probably go with what theme suits our current fancy :)

DizDays
08-08-2011, 11:08 AM
For me, it's all about the ambiance. The environment's atmosphere has so much to do with the satisfaction of the stay and overal vacation vibe. If I'm looking for a quieter, more serene "chill" vacation, it's AKV all the way. If I want to be in the mix of it all and go for more of a high energy vacation, there are plenty of others to choose from. It's why I love Disney/DVC so much. Flexibility and choices. :)

RweTHEREyet
08-08-2011, 01:50 PM
For me it is a matter of "how I feel" when I am there. If I am just "not sure", then it isn't for me.

dianeschlicht
08-08-2011, 02:02 PM

Instead of digging up this Methusalah thread, I suspect you might get a more accurate idea of current feelings if you started a new one.

BabsBunny
08-09-2011, 10:37 AM
What is the first thing I consider when we decide to book a trip? The size of the villa. Is it just DH and I going for a few nights? Then we want a studio. This trip we are bringing our two teens and two of their friends, so a 2 bedroom at OKW was our first choice because of the square footage.

So assuming we want a studio and all resorts are available, then my second consideration would be theming. Are we in the mood for a relaxing safari theme? A modern room monorail distance to great restaurants? Close proximity to Epcot?

disneychic
08-09-2011, 01:27 PM
Since there are only 2 of us room size isn't of major importance. We typically reserve studios (every once and a while a 1 BR) So depending on when our vacation is scheduled I choose our resort based on that. So, for me value of points or theming is most important. If we're going during a peak time I'd prefer to stay where points are less. If it's an off time of year I'll stay at a resort that typically is more points per night.