PDA

View Full Version : NFL Training camps Are Opening

ntsammy5
07-24-2008, 09:13 AM
For me this is the best time of the year. It's still summer (alright so it's only 63 here), the camping is good and the NFL is opening their training camps to prepare for the 2008 season. Anyone who know me knows I live and die with the Buffalo Bills. It's been a long drought for the Bills, but I see a lot of promise this year. I'm really looking forward to it - along with tailgating and the beer that goes with it.

There are no big college teams near here, but I did go to Alabama and Texas so I know what college games are like - and one daughter went to Syracuse which is a 2 1/2 hour drive away - I do miss that - 'cause nothing beats a good SEC game EXCEPT FOR AN NFL GAME.

GO BILLS

And Jen,

WAR EAGLE!

and Pete

ORANGE AND BLUE

Gatordad
07-24-2008, 09:26 AM
you'd watch badmitton if they let you grill sausages and drink beer.

medic9016
07-24-2008, 09:54 AM
Good, now we can get some other NFL news besides the Wheel of Favre.

ntsammy5
07-24-2008, 10:52 AM
you'd watch badmitton if they let you grill sausages and drink beer.

You got that right! Ever watch curling? :lmao:

I find it strangely fascinating!

RvUsa
07-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Al, I LOVE CURLING! But I was just saying on my board that we should meet up at the campground you posted, but now that I know you are a bills fan, I may have to rethink that! ;)

ftwildernessguy
07-24-2008, 01:48 PM
Remember the Houston Oilers? I was at Trinity University many years ago in San Antonio taking an Army course during their training camp. We ate with them, and man, those guys could EAT. Not a lot of brain power in the room, though.

Gatordad
07-24-2008, 01:57 PM
you should hear what they said about you.

ftwildernessguy
07-24-2008, 02:01 PM
you should hear what they said about you.

Not much. They were still into basic, three word sentences. Anything more than that was a novel to them. They carried around these 50 lb playbooks. A friend of mine was a real clown and asked what course they were taking and they looked at him and said "football". He laughed and laughed. I thought they were going to kill us. They had no necks - just heads on shoulders.

Gatordad
07-24-2008, 02:05 PM
lol.

big kahuna1
07-24-2008, 03:14 PM
I can't stand the Bill's ever since that a#!hole Jim Kelly refused to sign a couple of hats at the pro-bowl for my kids. He happend to be at the Hotel we were at and many other team members. He was the only jack@#! that did not sign. He had to hurry and go sit on the beach. If it was not for the other huge team members with him I would of went and kicked sand in his face.:scared1:

Bill's Bite!

Do I sound bitter?

ntsammy5
07-24-2008, 03:26 PM
That actually surprises me. Kelly's a drunk and a loud mouth but I never heard of him refusing to sign anything before.

Us3
07-24-2008, 05:53 PM
'cause nothing beats a good SEC game EXCEPT FOR AN NFL GAME.

Amen my friend!! I wore my t-shirt with the blue star on it today! :duck: We're definitely the odd one out here in the south east...everyone is done watching football here by the time Sunday rolls around. :confused3 Sunday is when dh and I are breaking out the beer and hot wings!

ftwildernessguy
07-24-2008, 05:55 PM
That actually surprises me. Kelly's a drunk and a loud mouth but I never heard of him refusing to sign anything before.

Whatever happened to his son? I assume he passed away a while ago. Does he still live in Orchard Park?

ntsammy5
07-24-2008, 06:17 PM
Hunter died about three years ago. Jim still lives in OP and attends quite a few events in the area. I saw him at a game day party a couple of years ago - he was outside puking his guts out - some things never change.

I saw him at a local charity event back in the 90s stay in an autograph signing line for over 4 hours - the kids all got stuff from him - that's one of the reasons I'm surprised he wouldn't sign something - but everyone can be a jerk sometimes.

ntsammy5
07-24-2008, 06:19 PM
Sunday is when dh and I are breaking out the beer and hot wings!

You know Sonya, I knew there was something about you I liked! :cool1:

ftwildernessguy
07-24-2008, 06:26 PM
Hunter died about three years ago. Jim still lives in OP and attends quite a few events in the area. I saw him at a game day party a couple of years ago - he was outside puking his guts out - some things never change.

I saw him at a local charity event back in the 90s stay in an autograph signing line for over 4 hours - the kids all got stuff from him - that's one of the reasons I'm surprised he wouldn't sign something - but everyone can be a jerk sometimes.

I rode on a plane across the aisle from him back in the '80's from Chicago to Buffalo. He actually seemed like a pretty nice guy and was more than willing to sign napkins for the kids on board. My son was an infant and fussing a bit so he held Jon on his lap while FWGirl took care of my daughter's needs. It is still one of my son's favorite stories despite the fact he doesn't remember any of it. He is 21 and still has a Jim Kelley poster on his wall.

2goofycampers
07-24-2008, 08:12 PM
Remember the Houston Oilers? I was at Trinity University many years ago in San Antonio taking an Army course during their training camp. We ate with them, and man, those guys could EAT. Not a lot of brain power in the room, though.

Houston Oilers now Tennessee Titans. Still not much brain power there.

AuburnJen92
07-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Sunday is when dh and I are breaking out the beer and hot wings!

I thought that was what Saturday was for?

kc5grw
07-24-2008, 09:04 PM
I just don't get into NFL, or professional sports at all. High school football I can handle.

But it is getting close to marching season. My oldest DD starts summer band in 10days. This is the end of free weekends for about 4 months.

des1954
07-25-2008, 07:18 AM
I can't stand the Bill's ever since that a#!hole Jim Kelly refused to sign a couple of hats at the pro-bowl for my kids. He happend to be at the Hotel we were at and many other team members. He was the only jack@#! that did not sign. He had to hurry and go sit on the beach. If it was not for the other huge team members with him I would of went and kicked sand in his face.:scared1: Do I sound bitter?

My mom actually went down on the field when the Bills were in a playoff game against the then Boston Patriots and kicked a Pat player in the shins!! This was in 1963 or 4....perhaps Al can tell the details as I was too young & don't remember much about it other that the event itself!

Don't blame DA BILLS for Kelly's action, Steve.

I love the Buc's, but hate Warren Sapp & didn't cry any tears when he left. He was the same way ---- refused to do anything for anybody.

Each year the Buc's hold a special event for underprivileged kids, and most of the big names on the team show up for it even though they don't have to. Do you think Sapp ever did? NO WAY!! Fox 13 news interviewed him & asked why he didn't show. His response...."Anyone want my autograph day gotta pay fo it." I wanted to shoot that arrogant b#st#rd on sight when I heard that!! Thankfully, there are many GOOD, KIND, men that play pro ball.

In my books, Tony Dungy is the best of the best, and the Bucs made a bad move letting him go ---- but they're paying for it now. Dungy still calls Tampa his home.

AuburnJen92
07-25-2008, 07:25 AM
But it is getting close to marching season. My oldest DD starts summer band in 10days. This is the end of free weekends for about 4 months.

Oh so true....

ntsammy5
07-25-2008, 07:50 AM

We did that for about 10 years! We spent an enormous amount of time! It kind of went out of fashion in our HS though, the band no longer even exists - and we were state champs about 15 years ago! Go figure.

Us3
07-25-2008, 08:33 AM
I thought that was what Saturday was for?

See what I mean??? :upsidedow

For me there is nothing better than a crisp fall day, having friends and family over, grilling hot wings and drinking beer...watching the Cowboys play the Redskins(Giants are close second)! :woohoo:

kc5grw
07-25-2008, 04:51 PM
Well, marching bands in Texas high schools are almost as important as the football teams.

You did know that the football game is only played to entertain the crowd until the band comes out. :lmao:

Millermouseketeers
07-25-2008, 05:18 PM
I thought it was until drill team came out! We are right there with you, no week-ends until Thanksgiving and we pay for this too!

Us3
07-25-2008, 06:16 PM
Spoken like a true parent! ;) I remember spending A LOT of time in your stadium WAAAY back in the day!! I'm assuming the stadium next to West Mesquite is still there??

Gatordad
07-25-2008, 07:40 PM
See what I mean??? :upsidedow

For me there is nothing better than a crisp fall day, having friends and family over, grilling hot wings and drinking beer...watching the Cowboys play the Redskins(Giants are close second)! :woohoo:

How did the divisional playoff game work out for ya, oh snap.

http://assets.giants.com/uploads/photo/1F6366DF32174D21BD9FD827B4AFE4F2.jpg

Gatordad
07-25-2008, 07:43 PM
http://assets.giants.com/uploads/photo/7AD4DBEE9E784AF8A733E52550C9C53A.jpg

kc5grw
07-25-2008, 08:34 PM
Spoken like a true parent! ;) I remember spending A LOT of time in your stadium WAAAY back in the day!! I'm assuming the stadium next to West Mesquite is still there??
Yes, that would be Memorial it is still there. It's actually one of the biggest high school stadiums in state. More of our games are played at Hanby over by Mesquite High than at Memorial. My DD goes to Horn High which is only in its 8th year. It's on the far east side of Mesquite.

des1954
07-26-2008, 05:49 AM
There are 3 teams I route for... The Bucs,, and any team playing the Fins or the Giants!!

I've been so busy this week, that I just heard the news about Farve last night. He's trying to either re-sign with the Pack or sign on with the Bucs. The Buc players they interviewed on Fox 13 - Tampa said they don't want him and don't need him. Gruden wouldn't comment either way. Farve is wanting a 12 million dollar contract!!!

Damn...two tickets to a Bucs game (decent seats) already cost as much as one AP to WDW. Ummmmm, no thanks! I'd rather go to WDW 365/year & get NFL Ticket on DirectTV, thank you very much!!

Farve needs to either retire-retire, or look for a coaching job. Knowing the head office for the Buc's, they'll probably give Farve what he wants & then we'll be stuck with a 12 Mil bench warmer. Jeff Garcia is a good QB & the rest of the team seems to be behind him 100%. If Simms has regained his strength after his surgery last year - he'll be another great starter.

Actually,,, the Bucs have a pretty good depth of QB's right now, without Farve.

Farve is a whiny boy!! Good QB - actually great QB - but just about past his prime & I hope neither team entertains his 12mil contract.

des1954
07-26-2008, 06:02 AM
We did that for about 10 years! We spent an enormous amount of time! It kind of went out of fashion in our HS though, the band no longer even exists - and we were state champs about 15 years ago! Go figure.

:scared1: No band at NTHS???? I think I'm gonna be sick!! Do they even have any kind of music program anymore?? I bet the sports program is still well funded. Oh well.... that's what happens when you get a bunch of short-sighted "Lech Walesa's" on the school board.

Polski społeczeństwo jesteście głupi.

ntsammy5
07-26-2008, 07:20 AM

No more Shockey either. He'll die ofalcohol poisoning in less that a year in NO. (sorry Rog)

ntsammy5
07-26-2008, 07:31 AM
actually great QB

Actually HOF QB

Us3
07-26-2008, 07:32 AM
How did the divisional playoff game work out for ya, oh snap.

http://assets.giants.com/uploads/photo/1F6366DF32174D21BD9FD827B4AFE4F2.jpg

DOH! Man, we walked around in disbelief for weeks after that game!!:headache: :sick: :scared: :sad1: :mad: (words can't explain!)

Us3
07-26-2008, 07:35 AM

AAHHHH~sad sad...should have never happened. See, I'm all worked up over it again!:sad2: